PDA

View Full Version : OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Tommmo
14th Jul 2010, 08:49
ES, after the initial interview you need to book a P2 Presentation, which run pretty frequently (at least once a month as far as I know).
After the P2 Presentation you have to book the filter and general waiting time for that varies between AFCOs but should generally be no longer than a month.

ElSupremo
14th Jul 2010, 22:02
Thanks for your help!

NDW
15th Jul 2010, 19:47
Evening All

I've finally made my decision to go forth with applying to the RAF as a WSOp, I have a brief chat on Wednesday coming and have asked for an Application Form to there ready and waiting for me.

Spoken to the parents :} about how they feel about me joining up and they are more than happy with my decision (well they feel more comfortable about me joining the RAF than the Royal Marines like my older brother.

I have spent many hours searching up and down this forum regarding WSOp and Interviews and Applications etc, and finally I'm going for it.

I may not have the best educational qualifications by any means, but I feel that I have the ability to work as a great team-member but also individually and produce fantastic results, and if given the oppurtunity to go to OASC, I shall prove that!!! (Sounds abit like a quotation from a C.V.)

My bosses from my work (My local flying school) are more than happy to give a reference for me, along with an old High School teacher (Who is infact ex-RAF).

My fitness has dramatically improved (in my eyes) and my inner confidence and self discipline has most deffinately improved also.

I'm going to hopefully make a good impression on my chat on Wednesday, and I know that its only a chat, but first impressions do count. :ok:

So fingers crossed that this time next week I will have the application form and finally be taking that step towards the greatest career in my life.

I would also like to thank everyone that I have nagged and most probably annoyed with question upon question on this forum, but hand on heart many thanks for all your help and advice, and I hope that in the near future I will be able to help spread some advice to future wannabe's.

Nathan (NDW)

OneFifty
15th Jul 2010, 22:16
You wont get an application form on Wednesday. IF you satisfy the initial eligibility criteria, you'll be invited to call the Careers Information Line in order to be placed in the wait list. Once a place becomes available for you to bid for, you'll be e-mailed the application forms.

OASC
16th Jul 2010, 09:36
In the last bulletin, John had completed all aspects of the Selection Process at the OASC and was waiting for notification as to whether he had been successful or not. He also knew that he would need the ‘all clear’ from his blood tests, ECG and the primary care questionnaire that was sent to his GP. This week, we conclude the OASC aspect of the selection process.

After a wait of about 3 weeks*, John received a letter from the OASC. This stated that he had been provisionally selected for commissioned entry to the Royal Air Force leading to a Permanent Commission as a pilot. The letter went on to say that the provisional offer was subject to attainment of a suitable security clearance, confirmation of his medical fitness and the maintenance of his personal physical fitness level sufficient to meet the required standard (Amber) of the Fitness Assessment to be conducted during a forthcoming Familiarisation Visit. Pending final approval of his entry, a place had been provisionally reserved on a forthcoming IOT and that, when his clearances were successfully processed, he would be notified of his terms of entry and conditions of service. The letter also made it very clear that John should not terminate any employment with a current employer until he had received his final confirmation of entry.

Next, the letter outlined the Familiarisation Visit that all candidates had to attend. It stated that, during the Visit, he would be given a better idea of the Initial Officer Training (IOT) Course and the RAF College facilities. He would also be fitted and issued with boots so that he could break them in prior to commencing IOT. However, the main emphasis was on the fitness assessment, which highlighted that all candidates would be expected to undertake a similar fitness test to that taken during OASC, except the 1.5 mile run would be conducted outside on this occasion. All candidates were advised that maximum effort was expected and the levels that needed to be achieved were outlined in the ‘Fit to lead’ booklet. Further briefings and advice on how to train successfully prior to IOT would be given by the physical education staff.

The letter concluded by outlining timings and kit to bring followed by a request to fill in an enclosed Familiarisation Visit form and return it using an envelope, also enclosed. With the letter was John’s OASC Board Report and debrief. John filled in his form carefully and sent it back to the OASC straight away and then took the time to read through the feedback that he received about his performance during the OASC selection process. While he waited for the Familiarisation Visit date to arrive, John continued to work very hard on increasing his fitness levels to prepare himself for the fitness assessment and IOT.

* 3 weeks is the earliest you would be notified; however, it could be up to 12 weeks depending on the competition from other candidates for you particular branch choice(s). You should only contact the OASC if you have not heard after 12 weeks from the date of your OASC Board.

Next week, we will follow John through the Familiarisation Visit before leaving him to go start his IOT course.

For more information regarding any of these areas highlighted, please contact your AFCO and they will be able to give you more detailed information regarding specific cases.

Please note that, although OASC will endeavour to answer generic questions that arise, we will not be engaging or commenting on individual cases. In those cases, the individual is advised to contact their nearest AFCO who will be able to deal with any queries. All information published is for information only.

Information regarding a career in the RAF can be found at http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers (http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers)

Jamias
31st Jul 2010, 15:16
I wonder if anybody could help?

I recently had a filter interview at my local AFCO but unfortunately was asked to go back in 6 months time. A lot of positives came out of the interview and some very good feedback was given. I wasn't recommended for the OASC because I couldn't fully answer some questions about officer and pilot training.
So I've got a few questions that I need answers to, can anybody help?

How long does Elementary Flying Training on the tutor last? And how are the 62 hours split up?

In IOT, what do Exercise Military Aid and Exercise Decisive Edge involve exactly? Has anybody got a breakdown or a brief?

Again in IOT, what kind of things do you do on the carrousel section of the third term?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

muppetofthenorth
31st Jul 2010, 20:24
EFT details can be found via google, so I'm not giving them out.

As for IOT, I'm pretty shocked that you need the exact details about exercises. I can understand you thinking that because you didn't know about them for the filter you'd want to know them next time, but if the Officer there has told you to get them, they're being pretty naive. I've done both exercises a couple of times and they're never the same. The basic principles are similar, but having a brief or breakdown for either would be pointless, as it'll change by the time you get there.

Basic terms, Mil Aid is a leadership and followership practise environment, using MACA (Military Air to Civil Authorities) as a vehicle. You are being taught, not assessed.
Decisive Edge mimics a DOB in theatre. It uses force protection as it's vehicle. You are being assessed.

Jamias
5th Aug 2010, 17:33
Thanks for that muppetofthenorth. The officer did ask me directly about the exercises, and then in the feedback after the interview he told me to research IOT more, including the exercises involved as I couldn't answer the questions. So possible naivity, possible over-eagerness on my part.

I have searched google etc. for details about EFT. The most comprehensive site details the EFT that international pilots training with the RAF go through. Can I assume that this is exactly the same course (apart from the english speaking courses) that RAF pilots go through?

Thanks

airborne_artist
6th Aug 2010, 09:17
How long does Elementary Flying Training on the tutor last? And how are the 62 hours split up?

In IOT, what do Exercise Military Aid and Exercise Decisive Edge involve exactly? Has anybody got a breakdown or a brief?

Again in IOT, what kind of things do you do on the carrousel section of the third term?

I'm with MoM - to ask and expect detailed answers on these type of questions is anal to a degree. The filter interviewer should be looking at a much higher level than this, in my opinion, if they are to be sending good guys/gals to OASC. Asking how many rivets there are on the tail-fin of a Grob is frankly ridiculous.

I'll check on another forum to see if the RN does the same with its potential aircrew. I think I know the answer already, however.

_FUBAR_
6th Aug 2010, 09:43
Good morning gents,
I am new but have been reading for a while. Been mainly on ARRSE but was suggested to try here.

I two am applying for WSOp at the moment and have a few quick questions i thought i would try here before trying the AFCO:

Reading the thread from OASC its stated that the fitness is a 1.5 mile run but the RAF Careers website states its the bleep test... anyone know which one?

Also, im trying to revise up on the training program for what i would do if successful. Ive got as far as Shawbury (Im aiming for Crewman rotary) and then it states OCU? can anyone clarify? I assume this stands for something like Operational Conversion Unit or suchlike?

Any help would be great.
Cheers!

Pontius Navigator
6th Aug 2010, 10:20
Reading the thread from OASC its stated that the fitness is a 1.5 mile run but the RAF Careers website states its the bleep test... anyone know which one?

This is a good test of your ability to evaluate different sources of information. Which is more likely to be up to date? Which is more likely to be accurate?

Final question, where would you do the 1.5 mile run?

_FUBAR_
6th Aug 2010, 10:43
Pontius Navigator,

Well this was my thinking, I would surmise that the fellow posting on behalf of OASC is the more up-to-date source. But then the question as you stated is where would this 1.5 mile run take place? On a treadmill? That i feel is hardly a test of endurance. Though i wouldn't be one to complain if that is the case.

Either way it makes very little difference as i am training for all eventualities. I was mearly being curious, always nice to know what your up against.

Jamias
6th Aug 2010, 17:34
FUBAR,

Just want to throw my two pence worth in to your query above.
I'm currently applying for pilot and when I enquired at the AFCO they gave me a free DVD showing the application process for officers and NCO aircrew and 'a day in the life of an officer/NCO aircrew/aircraftsman'. Also quite a detailed look into the OASC.
I'm sure if you go down to your local AFCO they'll be happy to give you said DVD. They seemed to be throwing them at people when I was there.

Spearmint-R33
6th Aug 2010, 18:19
It's on a treadmill and at a zero degree incline. That's what it states in my blue info book sent to me the other month for my own date at the OASC. Not the hardest of physical tests I agree but at the end of the day you go to the OASC to show your potential.

You'll not start sweating blood and tears until the actual course and that's if you get through. I am aware that on the first day of NCAITC all students must complete the 1.5mile run outside in the same time as decreed by the required standards for their age and sex.

_FUBAR_
7th Aug 2010, 13:39
@Spearmint
Yeah that is true, it is only a snapshot of your potential.

I was on my SSIC course at Cranwell (Im an Adult NCO with the ATC) and the RAF REG WO that was taking us on the course also took candidates on NCAITC and he said on the first day he liked to start them off with a running tour round the station with their bed packs. Thats got to be a good 2miler with the awkward bulk of a bed pack in your arms! :eek:

@Jamias
Thanks for the advise, might try that! I haven't been into my AFCO yet. Ive only spoken with CIL and got the email application so i think i need to go down and have a good chat with them.

Chrisdaman
7th Aug 2010, 20:09
bit of a setback as of late, my appendix decided it had had enough of my body and wanted to leave, so i'm literally back to fitness training this week, but it'll put cranwell back by 2/3 months at the least

but everything else is now done, ed certs, medical questionnaires etc, just awaiting cranwell now, booked a visit to the station, and my manager at my current job has got an odiham visit sorted pretty much

turns out he was a group captain in the RAF, really useful guy to have around :D

Arty Fufkin
9th Aug 2010, 11:38
Group captions can be useful.

changeitnot
9th Aug 2010, 18:26
Group captions. Good to remember it's a team game!

onrey_oleuk
11th Aug 2010, 16:50
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anybody could give me some advice on application to be an Apache pilot? I was umming and aaring about whether to go rotary or fast jet in the RAF and have decided to go rotary, but i want to fly the Apache and that is an AAC helicopter... I was just wondering what the route would then be if i wished to fly the Apache?
Any advice would be great...

Thank you :)

Pontius Navigator
11th Aug 2010, 17:01
onrey, if you look at the Army Air Corp thread lower down the page it will answer some of your questions. And the chances? Slim to non-existent, but don't let that put you off.

onrey_oleuk
11th Aug 2010, 21:32
Cheers Nav for the advice... And why slim to non existent? :uhoh: I presume its because they arent recruiting for pilot?

Aerouk
11th Aug 2010, 22:04
What happens if they end up putting you on a Lynx instead of an Apache? You don't get to choice.

Chrisdaman
11th Aug 2010, 22:33
typo corrected :)

Spearmint-R33
12th Aug 2010, 08:01
Cheers Nav for the advice... And why slim to non existent? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/worry.gif I presume its because they arent recruiting for pilot?

It's slim to non-existent across the board at the moment apart from certain priority roles. The recruitment tap has been tightened to but a drip. A job in HM Forces (at the moment) is seen as a safe option compared to menial part-time non-secure work on Civvy Street.

badders2
12th Aug 2010, 10:37
I'm also applying for WSOp, my application is on hold, still awaiting the e-mail/link to fill in the application for filter and P2 interview, this should be when the trade re-opens. I've been posetd to our basic training at RAF Honington with the expectation that I'll soon be looking at an FT3 (Sgt Gunner) course in 2011.
From what I could gather from our clerk, I'll be stuck as a gunner doing what effectively is a mini return of service as a Sgt, and would be unable to apply for Aircrew. I've been to my chief clerk, PSF and spoken to the drafter about this and none of them would give me a yes/no answer. If I turn down an FT3 while still a gunner I can expect all sorts of fall-out from this. If I take it, then find out I can't apply for aircrew then I'd not be happy stuck as a gunner for 2 years waiting (I'd be 32 by then, with only 8 years left to serve which is why I'm applying now.)
Any gen or a different point of view would be appreciated as my lot aren't happy with what they see as me abandoning my trade.
Thanks in advance.

badders2
12th Aug 2010, 13:00
i know, it's like i'm bad for wanting to better myself.

spuk87
12th Aug 2010, 18:33
Hi, I've been watching this forum since around February but never joined up until today (don't like joining every forum under the sun if I can help it).

I'm taking my filter interview for pilot at the end of the month and currently researching all the info to cover the military awareness part of the interview, but one thing I don't seem to be able find an answer to is what the OCU squadron numbers and locations are for RW and ME branches; assuming they have dedicated OCUs that is? The RAF website lists them for FJ branches but not RW and ME. Could anyone help me out with that?

Thanks,
Simon

Pontius Navigator
12th Aug 2010, 20:09
Spuk, have a look at this thread http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/421875-how-many-manage-41-000-a-3.html

You should find information there that will help you help yourself.

_FUBAR_
13th Aug 2010, 08:15
Spuk,

Its a few years out of date but i dont think its changed much

Armed Forces - r4a2 - RAF Air Command - Operational Conversion Unit (OCU) (http://www.armedforces.co.uk/raf/listings/l0053.html)

Also (Please correct if needed) many Squadrons like 27SQN (Chinooks) have OCF's Operational Conversion Flight's. In which case, they wont be listed with the other SQN's like 203(R) OCU Sea King.

Hope that helps,

FUBAR

back end o' the bus
13th Aug 2010, 11:07
Gd luck but sort ya english out for pete's sake!:=

Smegward
14th Aug 2010, 16:32
Hello to all!

Just getting some general consensus on when would be a good time to resubmit my application to the RAF. My first and only visit to OASC was back in August 2008 where, unfortunately I was temporarily barred from service for 4 years due to previous medical problems. In the letter from the president of the medical board he said I would not be eligible for consideration at OASC until May 2011. What i want to know is what time does everyone think would be a good time to start the application process again, so i could get to OASC as close into May as possible. I was thinking around christmas time.

Thanks in advance,
Eddie

Pontius Navigator
14th Aug 2010, 17:15
Eddie, good thinking. Suppose you did start in Christmas and then you tell them you had a recommendation to re-apply in May 2011 (although that is less than 3 years by my reckoning) they will either say 'come back in May' or come back in 2012, or even say no problem start now.

From their point of view they will never wish to lose a good candidate simply through a bureaucratic system.

However if the docs say 4 years the they may well mean Aug 2012. I see your dilemma.

muppetofthenorth
15th Aug 2010, 12:08
Do remember that recruitment at the moment is as near to zero as it's likely to be, with many branches closed. Before you start thinking about when you should apply to get yourself through the door asap, talk to the AFCO about whether there's even any point doing so for your branch yet.

You might find your wait is being lengthened as we speak.

x34gunner
15th Aug 2010, 12:29
This question originates from at least 2 sources, first of all qualities of a transformational leader and secondly effective followership. If you google these or look on businessballs you will get more information.

Pontius Navigator
15th Aug 2010, 12:54
X34, whose question are you answering?

OASC
16th Aug 2010, 08:43
John had now completed all aspects of the OASC selection process but was still awaiting his final medical and security clearances. The next event was attendance at the Initial Officer Training (IOT) Familiarization Visit. While he was waited for the date of the visit to arrive, he continued to work hard on his fitness and kept abreast of what was going on in the world. Finally, the date arrived for him to return to RAF Cranwell to attend the Visit. This week we follow John through the Familiarization Visit.

John arrived at the Candidates’ Mess by car around mid-morning. He unloaded his bags into his room and then walked over to the Mess to meet the other people who were on the Visit. After they had finished lunch, they received a welcome briefing by Officer and Aircrew Cadet Training Unit (OACTU) staff and filled in some paperwork. The group was then split into 2. John’s group walked a short way to Clothing Stores where they were measured up for their uniforms and sized for boots and shoes. They would get to keep their boots and working shoes so that they could break them in before they started training. They remained at the Stores for nearly 2 hours, before walking back to the Candidates’ Mess to be shown around the facilities properly and also to be shown a bedroom and how a cadet would be expected to maintain it to inspection standard. Once this presentation was complete, there was a short break before the candidates were driven to College Hall Officers’ Mess (CHOM) so that they could have dinner and discuss IOT with Term 3 cadets. This gave John the opportunity to get a real understanding of what to expect – so he asked lots of questions. Finally, they were driven back to the Candidates’ Mess at 2100hrs. Living in CHOM seemed a long way off to the candidates as they discussed their experiences over a drink in the bar.

The following morning, immediately after breakfast, John’s group was driven to Whittle Hall, which was, in essence, the training centre for IOT cadets. For the next 2 hours, the candidates were asked to write a ‘My Life’ essay outlining everything that they had done, experienced and achieved in life so far. As soon as that was complete, it was over to the gym to get changed into sports kit to take part in the OACTU Fitness Assessment (OFA). This was similar to the Selection Fitness Test at OASC, although the 1.5 mile run was to be completed outside rather than on a treadmill in the gym. John had been working hard on his fitness and performed well in the assessment as he knew that failure in any element of the OFA would result in his allocation to IOT being reviewed and possibly cancelled. The Physical Training Instructors then gave the candidates a briefing on what to expect during IOT from a physical viewpoint before discussing the results of the OFA. John achieved a Green standard but there was one individual who only achieved a Red and was told he would have to repeat the Visit. Everybody had to achieve at least an Amber in order to be accepted onto IOT. That concluded the morning’s activities. After lunch, the candidates were shepherded to the Main Guard Room so that they could have their photographs taken for their access passes. Then it was back to Whittle Hall again to receive a briefing from the RAF Regiment staffs about how to look after their feet during training, followed by a briefing from the OACTU staff covering all elements of the IOT course. After a short question and answer period, the Visit was complete and the candidates were free to leave. John was very focussed on the task ahead and knew that, pending his medical and security clearances, his next event would be to commence IOT in less than 2 months’ time.

A week or so after the Familiarization Visit, John received his final letter of acceptance from OASC, stating that his arrangements to start IOT had been finalised and gave details of when he would need to arrive at RAF Cranwell to commence training. The letter went on to state his conditions of service and gave some other useful pieces of information, including a list of documents that he would require to bring with him in order to provide a means of identification.

We have now completed John’s journey from selection through to him commencing IOT. It has been a long journey and one that has required a great deal of effort and determination on his part. For some people, the journey can take much longer if they are found to be temporarily unfit at the medical stage of the process or if they do not maintain their fitness to an adequate level. But, for John, he is about to embark on a thoroughly challenging but rewarding career in the RAF as a pilot. However, his work has only just begun….

For more information regarding any of these areas highlighted, please contact your AFCO and they will be able to give you more detailed information regarding specific cases.

Please note that, although OASC will endeavour to answer generic questions that arise, we will not be engaging or commenting on individual cases. In those cases, the individual is advised to contact their nearest AFCO who will be able to deal with any queries. All information published is for information only.

Information regarding a career in the RAF can be found at http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers (http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers)

Treebeard04
16th Aug 2010, 12:12
Afternoon,

I applied last June and was sucessful at OASC being told that I had been granted a bursary for pilot for my last year at uni. However, I then received a letter from the medical board stating that I was permanently medically unfit for all air and controller branches due to one case of migraine being on my record in 1996 (when I was 8)
I have been fighting this case since then, as migraine doesnt' effect me and have seen a specialist, hunted down the initial neurologist, who has written a letter saying that the diagnosis was wrong (stating migraine was given simply to give my headache at the time a label...great!)seen numerous GPs and spoken with several high rankers within the airforce who all claim that my application remaining barred is ludacris. However, the medical board at Cranwell refuse to budge on the issue stating that it is policy to take the initial diagnosis and the door was "very much shut and maybe I should try the Army as they take anyone"( great professionalism) As I am a member of a University Air Squadron, my boss there (a squadron leader) has been great and continued to fight my case and a couple of days ago I received a letter from a wing commander stating that I was to attend a military hospital to see a military neurologist and his/her decision would be final. I was filled with hope again, however I have now been told that even though the decision is with the neurologist, the medical board will more than likely still say no (even if the decision is made that my "migraines" are no risk) and my application will remiained barred.
Does anyone know why this is the case? does the medical board work independantly of everyone else and speak to noone?! eventhough different people keep telling me different things. If this recruitment process occured in any other organisation, I think there would be outcry!
Obviously I still would love to be offered a place and unfortunately will remain jumping through hoops if it means I can get there but I think it is crazy that this has happened for now over a year and there is still no definite answer.( the medical appointment could be another 15 weeks away!)
Thoughts would be greatly appreciated giving advice, ideas, critism etc!

Smegward
16th Aug 2010, 17:41
To Treebeard 04
If you read my post above you will see that I have also had a run-in with the Medical board and whilst mine is only a temporary ban I fought tooth and nail to get the decision overturned, tracking down the original GP who said it was a mis-diagnosis and my current GP to write about my entire respiratory health and history to no avail. I also got a letter saying the ban still stood. I think it is promising that you are being seen by a military neurologist, if they didn't want you they wouldn't of wasted their time setting it up. Just keep on banging down those doors!

To Pontius Navigator
Thanks for the reply. It was my fault for not being clearer. The reason for my bar from service was in my medical records, not discovered whilst at OASC. So it was 4 years from the date of the diagnosis (or mis-diagnosis!). The letter from the President of the medical board states May 2011 as the next time I will be eligable. Just add a bit of clarity! :D

PlanetPyramid
17th Aug 2010, 22:30
I'm aware that most branches throughout the RAF are currently not recruiting. However, is there anywhere that I would be able to find a list of the branches that are currently recruiting? I'm interested in becoming an Air Traffic Control Officer or a Weapons Systems Operator.

I'm going into the city centre tomorrow to have a chat at the AFCO and see what is available.

northern_monkey
18th Aug 2010, 18:12
Planet Pyramid - you've answered your own question! :ok:

Chrisdaman
19th Aug 2010, 16:02
what is the general consensus about the following:

I received a letter from cranwell saying that i should "re-apply in 3 months" because I am "temporarily unfit" for selection (quoted from the medical letter i received). However I have started training and have been pushing myself again, and am near the fitness that I was before the op.

I rang my afco and argued this, and they've managed to keep me in the pipeline, but defer the phonecall to get a date from cranwell until november 1st. This is incredibly frustrating as I am at 95% fitness now, and can easily beat the targets set for the fitness test.

Is it worth me ringing early september to push my luck to get a date for cranwell, as it is between 6-10 weeks waiting anyway, which would take me over the 3 month "unfit period" that cranwell seemed to have dropped me in. Or should i get a doctors note to try and back it up?

I'm worried because the defence review is in october, and who knows what could happen, and i'd like a chance at OASC at least

opinions?

Pontius Navigator
19th Aug 2010, 18:23
Chris, worst case, you push, you get accepted early, you fail.

The medics a always have the last say. Now use that extra 3 months, improve your knowledge and go easy on the fitness. Aim to be fit by mid-Oct.

Three months in the great scheme of things is nothing at all, you are still in the pipeline.

spuk87
21st Aug 2010, 15:27
Thanks FUBAR and Pontius :ok: . Yet again I find the RAF website is out of date on a number of issues :rolleyes:

Chrisdaman
25th Aug 2010, 19:47
had a station visit today at RAF Odiham, inspiring to say the least, a BIG eye opener, and apart from 100% fixing my head on Rotary Crewman (should i be successful), i'm definitely going to be waiting the extra time, need to be much fitter, will be joining a gym this weekend and starting 1.5hours a day 5 days a week next monday :)

OASC
26th Aug 2010, 07:11
During this submission, we would like to cover what we deem to be an essential pre-requisite before coming to the Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre (OASC) to apply for Weapons Systems Operator (WSOp). The following has been written by an individual who has recently attended a 55 Sqn visit and is working hard towards his goal of becoming a WSOp in the RAF.

“As someone who has attended the visit, it is extremely beneficial to all potential WSOp candidates to attend the familiarisation visit. Attendees are left in no doubt about the training they will go through and the standards that are required on the Non Commissioned Aircrew Initial Training Course (NCAITC) and beyond. We received a number of briefings as outlined below.”

OASC Brief:

After a welcome from OC 55 Sqn, we received a briefing from an OASC boarding officer about the selection process. The OASC briefing included tips and advice to potential candidates on how to prepare and succeed.

NCAITC:

The candidates were given a comprehensive break down of the NCAITC. Emphasis was placed on fitness, teamwork and the need to get into the scenarios of the various exercises. The attendees were also shown the ‘A Sqn’ building where cadets would be accommodated during their course. The standard of cleanliness and hygiene required of the accommodation block was demonstrated.

Physical Training:

Fitness was the key issue here. Emphasis was placed on pre-entry training and why the standard was so high. Ultimately, the arduous tasks that cadets would be set, and the role of the WSOp thereafter, pre-determined the fitness requirement. Tips on training prior to arrival were also briefed so that there were no excuses for turning up to the NCAITC unprepared.

WSOp Trades:

A specialist from each WSOp trade gave a 15 minute presentation outlining their take on the training for their specialisation and what the job actually involved on the front line. They also discussed the aircraft types that they could be employed on both now and in the future.

55 (R) Sqn:

At 55 (R) Sqn, we were shown where the generic and specialist ground training would be carried out. Then we were shown the radar and acoustic simulators followed by the Air Navigation Trainers, which would be used for the flying phase of the sensor specialist training.

Crewman Hangar:

Finally, to cover all aspects of the specialisations, we were taken to the crewman training hangar to look at life-sized mock ups of C17, C130K and CH47 aircraft for trainee crewmen to practice loading and unloading drills.

“Individuals will be asked about the WSOp branches during their interview at the OASC. Attending the 55 Sqn Visit should arm the candidate with enough information to discuss the branch during the interview with credibility and confidence. It also looks good on the candidate’s profile if they have attended as it shows that they are motivated to further their knowledge of the branch that they wish to enter”

55(R) Sqn hosts a formal visit for potential WSOp and ATC Senior NCO Direct Entrant candidates on the last Thursday of every month. Potential candidates can book a place on the 55(R) Sqn visit by contacting their nearest AFCO. Note from the OASC: We cannot emphasize enough the need to be physically fit to undertake NCAITC.

ElSupremo
27th Aug 2010, 21:03
Some good news to report (if anyone is interested) - I've submitted my doctor letter/note to the AFCO and I can now run the 1.5 mile run in 11mins 30 secs with is 41 secs under the required time (proof enough that asthma is not an issue for me)!

PS - in regards to the letter that I submitted, does anyone know what will now happen to it and roughly how long it'll take for me to get a response? I'm assuming it'll get sent to Cranwell.

muppetofthenorth
27th Aug 2010, 22:45
El S, not trying to pour scorn on your parade, but 11.30 is nothing to be proud of, if you're not running close to or better than the 10.18 green standard by the start of IOT then -under current rules- your place is at stake.
It might well scrape in at the lower end of the scale (although I'm not sure about that) but don't ease up now.

ElSupremo
28th Aug 2010, 01:00
^^^ I'm not overly proud of 11:30 though I am pleased that I've brought that time down from 12:10ish within a month. I think I could go faster now, it's just difficult to judge it when you're running on a treadmill. Could you explain to me what the green standard means? What's the point in having a max time if they want you to run 2 minutes faster than it?

Aerouk
28th Aug 2010, 09:03
ES,

See Fitness test standards - E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums (http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=27937) for the scores.

Mr C Hinecap
28th Aug 2010, 09:44
If you suffer from asthma or have done in the past, you cannot be considered for flying branches of the RAF.

Taken from the document THIS PAGE ON THE RAF CAREERS WEBSITE (http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/canijoin/health.cfm) refers to.

It seems they have gone to hard rules in these hard times.

I can now run the 1.5 mile run in 11mins 30 secs with is 41 secs under the required time (proof enough that asthma is not an issue for me)!

Distinctly different demand on the body to breathing through a mask whilst flying at altitude. I think a more scientific approach is usually employed to assess such things.

Aerouk
28th Aug 2010, 11:43
Mr C Hinecap,

Yes we all know about that but ES has been asked to provide a letter from his Doctor regarding his circumstances that are slightly different.

muppetofthenorth
28th Aug 2010, 12:20
El S, when on IOT your 'OFAs' (Officer Fitness Assessments) will be scored out of 100 in each of the disciplines: run, pressups and situps, with 100 being the top mark possible. To get 100 in each, you need to do it <8.15 for the run, 87+ pressups and 90+ situps. Sliding scale in each area then works out individual scores and these are matched up to a colour. The lowest score of any will apply to all, so you could do an 8minute 1.5 mile, but score a red in the pressups and you score a red overall.

Red is fail, yellow is bare minimum accepted on course and green is the pass.

Where did you get the 12.11 time you refer to? I ask, because for a man your age the lowest yellow score is something in the 11minute category, not the 12. I scored 9.something minutes consistantly and was still below average for the course.

Also, run outside. You'll improve faster.

ElSupremo
28th Aug 2010, 14:28
^^^^ I did the 11.30 yesterday in the gym on a treadmill. Would the 11.30 be enough to get me in? I obviosuly want to go faster but I'd just like to know. I'm not worried about the press-ups and sit-ups - I'm sure I could get close to the max in both (I've focussed my workouts on my upper body for about 4/5 years now).

Perhaps the best way for me to understand what level of finess I need to be at is the level they require from you on the bleep test. What level do they want? The highest that I have achieved (a few years ago now) is 11.7 which was considered to be a good score by my P.E teachers.

Mr C Hinecap
28th Aug 2010, 16:22
Aero - that linked document is fairly new and the first written word I've seen that asthma history is totally verboten for aircrew application. El Supremo (with documented inhaler prescription however you read it) has been procrastinating over every aspect for so long he has managed to slide into the worst recruiting levels in living history. This has coincided with the change of '4 years clear' to 'no wheezy boys ever', as you well know.

If he read back in this thread and looked here (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/405176-oasc-candidates-wannabes-please-read-thread-first-new-thread-post5581090.html#post5581090) he would know what the fitness requirements are.

Melchett01
28th Aug 2010, 17:15
El Supremo,

The highest that I have achieved (a few years ago now) is 11.7 which was considered to be a good score by my P.E teachers.

If it helps any, and bearing in mind I went through IOT in the 90s, our course was a 'guinnea pig' course for the PEdOs at Cosford. Consequently, everything we did fitness and test wise was always to max endeavour rather than a defined limit. On my fitness test about 2/3 of the way through the course I got to level 13-something which the PTIs viewed as being a passable effort for a 23 yr old.

Now as an ahem mid-30s (damn time goes fast), I did my most recent fitness test about 2 weeks back on return from theatre and got to level 11.3. Not bad for an old fart, and the last man standing in the gym amongst a bunch of wheezing 20-somethings.

Now fitness standards and test regimes have changed massively since I went through, however, the moral of the story is that whatever you think is good will never be good enough for the PTIs. As far as they are concerned an 'aircrew pass' i.e. scraping in, is not good enough - 'just enough is not enough' was one of our Sqn Cdr's favourite sayings. Basically, before you get to OASC / IOT, you would do well to maximise your CV capacity, getting it to as high a level as you can manage

I find interval training worked for me - it helped my cardio improve quite rapidly in a short space of time. On det, I did most of my running on a treadmill in the gym. By the time I left theatre I was starting with a 5 min warm-up at 11km/hr and then at the 5 min point ramping the speed up to 16.5km/hr for 1 min then dropping back to 11.5km/hr for 2 mins and so on, repeating for the next 30 mins. Try it - it's harder than you think, especially if you set yourself a goal of increasing the jog / run speeds by 0.5km/hr every couple of weeks. Assuming you are already reasonably fit, you should find your CV capacity increases quite quickly, but just be aware that you also need to do some long distance runs too; if all you do is the interval training you will find you train your body to do relatively short - mid distance runs very quickly but you will be screwed on the longer runs you do at IOT.

ElSupremo
28th Aug 2010, 18:05
Mr C Hinecap - procrastination or making sure i got my legal qualifications and that joining the RAF is really what I wanted to do?

Mr C Hinecap
28th Aug 2010, 21:01
ES - you started asking about pilot training in early 2008 and discovered commercial was too expensive, so looked at the Forces.

In Jul 08 you posted
With regards to the Class 1 medical will having very mild athma (which is only very occassionally triggered by extreme exercise and is not spontanious) hinder my chances of passing?
and
Well I'm off to the docs in a few days so I'll get him to re-diagnose me then - I'm not sure that I've even had asthma all this time (I've never really had a tight chest before).

In Nov 08 you posted
I plan to go to my docs to get re-evaluated so they he/she can amend or put a not on my medical records.

In Jun 09 you posted
I have a temporary rest bite from the end of June until September (when I have more exams) so I will probably go about sorting everything out then.

There is more, but I feel that makes my point. You call it what you want, but we're still not much closer.

Wander00
28th Aug 2010, 22:21
Some of the English and spelling have not improved either, which willl not improve your chances of success.

ElSupremo
29th Aug 2010, 01:44
Wander00 - are you being serious? In case you are I will bite. I studied law for three years in univeristy. In that time I had to write many essays. For example, one which you might find interesting was my examination of the legality of the Iraq war. Feel free to request a copy of it for your reading pleasure although I think it may be a little beyond your comprehension. Needless to say I had to have a good grasp of the written word in order to complete the course (I'm too modest to divulge my scores/marks as I find it vulgar). I then went on to study the subject at a post-graduate level.

I didn't realise that this forum was really a spelling and grammar test. I shall try harder next time! I must ask, what subject did you study in university?

Finally, I must apologise to the other forum members for moving this thread away from the subject it was intended for.

Wander00
29th Aug 2010, 08:51
eg "rest bite" for "respite" - I rest my case. Certainly in the far off days when I was a flt cdr at IOT, "written communication" was taken pretty seriously. Despite my experiences with my 22 year old son (who finds "spell check" a chore), I understand that the ability to write grammatical and accurate Ennglish is still a requirement at IOT. You are, of course, entitled to an alternative view.

muppetofthenorth
29th Aug 2010, 09:49
I did the 11.30 yesterday in the gym on a treadmill. Would the 11.30 be enough to get me in?

Perhaps the best way for me to understand what level of finess I need to be at is the level they require from you on the bleep test. What level do they want?

No, frankly. Can't speak for OASC, but it would not get you through a FamVisit prior to IOT [unless you were in your 30s].

If you're not scoring level 12 during the course [again, it differs with age] then you'll suffer. But unless you knock 2 minutes off your 1.5 mile time, you won't get there to find out.

Let's not forget though, that physical fitness is only one part of the process, if you're useless in the interview, perform poorly in the exercises and discussions or come across as a bit of a numpty, you won't get in.

NDW
29th Aug 2010, 13:17
Afternoon All,

Has anyone ever participated in the G.A.P.A.N Aptitude Testing held at RAF Cranwell? Not sure if it can be done for the Military as the GAPAN I think are a Civilian Aviation Authority Organisation.

I'm looking at hopefully doing it in November as a heads up on my Aptitude ability, also to get advice about other possible careers within the Aviation sector.

All the best

NDW

Aerouk
29th Aug 2010, 15:26
the GAPAN I think are a Civilian Aviation Authority Organisation.

It's for pilots and navigators regardless of their flying. Not sure if you've been on their website but it's full of military photos :ok:

Is it really worth doing it? What happens if they say you're not good enough, are you just going to give up on your RAF dreams?

I know if they told me I was b*llocks I would still apply and let the RAF decide.

NDW
29th Aug 2010, 20:15
Aerouk,

Ah apologies for for my mistake regarding GAPAN!! :ugh:

I would hope that it would give me a head's up regarding my aptitude, if I had it and got a good score - Fantastic!!

If not I won't give up, I'll try again the year after!!

I'll only give up the day I'm personally kicked out by the C/O :ok:

Thanks

NDW

Smegward
2nd Sep 2010, 17:19
Mr C Hinecap, Just after some advice since you seem to be a man in the know. When you said

This has coincided with the change of '4 years clear' to 'no wheezy boys ever', as you well know.

When did this change and where is the info as I am a "wheezy boy" waiting for my 4 years to clear.

Thanks!

OneFifty
2nd Sep 2010, 18:09
Smegward

You can get the information from the AFCO or the RAF website. Below is an extract from the website under the heading "Medical conditions that preclude entry"

"If you suffer from asthma or have done in the past, you cannot be considered for flying branches of the RAF. For ground branches and trades, people with a past history of asthma, wheezing or inhaler use may be eligible for service following review by medical staff. If you have current asthma symptoms or a current prescription or you use an inhaler for asthma or wheeze (regardless of cause), you are not eligible to apply for service."

The first sentence make it quite clear. The key words are "or have done in the past". Basically, ANY diagnosis of Asthma at ANY age will stop you from flying. This policy became more strict (and clearer) only a few months ago. For ground branches, the 'four year prescription and symptom free' rule remains extant.

Link to the full list of issues which would preclude entry is here: http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/rafcms/mediafiles/8AC4A6D0_5056_A318_A8628AA28D2D8DAE.pdf

Aerouk
2nd Sep 2010, 18:27
Smegward,

You simply cannot in any way join as aircrew for the RAF if you have suffered from Asthma, I was at the AFCO recently when a young lad was told he had no chance because of this.

ElSupremo
2nd Sep 2010, 18:33
OneFifty - I was told pretty much the same thing back in November. However, the chap in the AFCO advised that you can be considered if you can prove that any diagnosis was suspect/incorrect. Hence why I needed to get a note from my GP explaining that my previous diagnosis is likely (he explained that there is no definitive way of testing for asthma) to be wrong.

Ou of curiosity, does anyone know definitively whether the RAF rule is applicable to the RN? I remember a few months ago that it was discussed here with no clear answer.

OneFifty
2nd Sep 2010, 18:47
ElSupreo

If your doctor is of the opinion that any asthma diagnosis is likely to have been incorrect (and it is understood that asthma is over diagnosed), and he is willing to provide this in writing, then your case MIGHT be reviewed by the OASC Med Board. However, this is very VERY rare, more so if there has been multiple prescriptions. Remember, for every one candidate with a potential asthma issue, there will be literally hundreds without so why should they take the risk? (Please note that actual use of an inhaler is irrelevant, it's the fact that the doctor saw fit to prescribe it which counts. I hear almost daily potential candidates claim they had an inhaler issued every few months for the past 10 years yet never actually used it.)

guitarwillie
3rd Sep 2010, 11:57
Hi

I attended my RAF P2 Presentation this week, which went well and I should have my filter interview soon. I am applying for Pilot, and was hoping to have Weapon Systems Officer as a 2nd choice but was told that they thought this position was closed due to future aircraft not having WSO on board, only WSOp. So any recruiters out there who can answer this? My AFCO wasn't sure, but thought it was closed .I thought MR4A had at least 1 WSO on board, and same with the Sentinel R1? I have passed FATs for Pilot (136) and WSO(112) with the Royal Navy, but just missed out at AIB. If the role is still open, is 112 even enough to be selected, or are they looking for a more competitive score. I'm only checking should there be a medical problem at OASC and Pilot is a no go.
Thanks!

Will

Smegward
3rd Sep 2010, 17:06
Thanks for all your replies!

Just to clear this up, back in 2008 I was successful at OASC and was provisionally accepted pending the medical history checks. That's where I fell down. Thanks to a chest infection back in 2007 the GP wrote in my records there was a slight wheeze in one of my lungs which disappeared and never came back. This was enough to bar me for 4 years. I was prescribed an inhaler but fortunately managed to appeal that as irrelevant and a mis-prescription. I then got a letter from the president of the medical board stating that I would not be eligible for ground-crew (I applied for Admin, now Personnel support) until May 2011. I was inquiring as to whether this "4 years clear" policy had changed in the last 2 years. Thanks for all the feedback though! Just have to go through the rig-ma-roll of the applications process again at the end of the year!

Smegward
3rd Sep 2010, 17:10
Also the letter from the president of the medical board stated the reason why my one week wheeze posed a problem was that to put a candidate with a history of respiratory issues through IOT posed an unacceptable risk and after 4 years free of symptoms those issues were deemed to of subsided. That's pretty much verbatim.

Hangar_9
6th Sep 2010, 01:39
Hi everybody.
I am currently on the RAF careers E-mail system for WSOp and just had one question. I was travelling around New Zealand at the time applications re-opened in June and subsequently could not follow through at that stage. However now this option appears to be closed again!
Anybody have any idea when WSOp applications will re-open?

Thanks,
H9

Pontius Navigator
6th Sep 2010, 06:37
they thought this position was closed due to future aircraft not having WSO on board, only WSOp.

I thought MR4A had at least 1 WSO on board, and same with the Sentinel R1?

MRA4 2 actually but given a fleet size of 9 that is 18 bodies with no more than a further 18 as staff and replacements. On Sentiel I don't know but if so it would be even fewer.

Given that the MR2 had far more WSO than this and there are dozens on the GR4, there are more than enough WSO in Service to satisfy immediate requirements and probably enough in the pipe for some time too.

Only after the SDSR will it be known if more WSO are needed in the short term.

ElS, while mentioning fitness, I checked an old fitness diary in the RCAF 5x. As I was approaching 30 I was able to do the 1.5 mile run in 10min 50sec. That was not measured over a mile and a half but as part of a 5 mile run in 36 minutes. A few years later, in my mid-30s, they introduced a quarterly 1.5 mile run for aircrew. From an unfit cold start I could clock about 12-10 which was comfortably under the target. Over 11 minutes for a potential racing snake at Cranditz is strictly low average. 12 minutes is gasping and out of sight.

To put this in context, in my 40s we did a mass station run with the racing snakes clocking under 9 minutes. One racing snake was an ATC Cadet. The rest of his group managed times in the order of 15-17 minutes. That is indicative of the capability of many school boys and school leavers.

Melchett01
6th Sep 2010, 10:56
I thought MR4A had at least 1 WSO on board, and same with the Sentinel R1?

Guitarwillie - pretty much as PN says. Whilst the MRA4 plot is probably already sorted given the number of WSOs already in the system, I wouldn't pin too many hopes on the Sentinel - or even the SKASaCs come to that.

The Sentinel fleet is tiny - I believe only 5 ac total, with only one or 2 on ops at any one time - and there are only 3 mission crew down the back. Of those 3 mission crew, 2 are Imagery Analysts with the 3rd being a Mission Commander. The MC would more than likely be a WSO but I would hazard a guess that you might also get the odd AEO filling a slot too - I believe a recent V(AC) Sqn boss was an AEO.

Then again, if you were feeling very brave or speculative, you could always go FC and pray that the RAF follows the USAF route and makes all its Sentinel mission controllers FCs as per the USAF's JSTARS ;)

Pontius Navigator
6th Sep 2010, 11:02
Then again, if you were feeling very brave or speculative, you could always go FC and pray that the RAF follows the USAF route and makes all its Sentinel mission controllers FCs as per the USAF's JSTARS ;)

Has the RAF embraced E3 FC as a proper job? A while back it was seen as a diversion from the real FC world underground. An FC had to serve a sentence at Neat or wherever before getting an E3 slot if actually aircrew fit.

There was then no promise that they would remain within the AEW Force and retain their flying pay. I know that many did indeed manage extended 'detachments' to the AEW Force but often at the expense of promotion.

Melchett01
6th Sep 2010, 12:23
PN - I guess it all depends who you ask that question to! Whilst not being an FC myself, the general feeling seems to be that the FCs on the jets consider themselves to be bona fide fully fledged aircrew :suspect: whilst the rest of the RAF and probably a good proportion of the rest of the bunker dwellers see them for what they actually are, namely Mission Specialists on a flying tour.

Unlike the USAF FCs who actively join up to fly as airborne controllers, ether on E3s or JSTARs, for RAF FCs a tour on E3s is just another tour, albeit with certain perks. But as I understand it, RAF FCs go to the AEW fleet with the prospect that they will have their wings clipped at some point in order to maintain a through flow of experience.

Pontius Navigator
6th Sep 2010, 15:28
Melchett, that was my understanding too. For promotion you needed a bunker tour which of course got you posted from the E3.

When I was at Tinker they were recruited as AWAC crew and considered themselves as aircrew. One reason could have been the declaration that there was 'no air breathing threat' to ConUS and thus no need for an Air Defence setup; got that one wrong.

In the UK, given that the number of airborne seats is very few the gene pool would be too small to follow the USAF route; bit like the WSO(Nav) pool which is rapidly drying out.

_FUBAR_
8th Sep 2010, 17:43
@Hanger_9
Now!

Yup got my email today rushed home from work early to fill it in as my local AFCO said once they received the required number of applications the online site would close!

So managed to get my application filled in and sent off. They said someone should contact me within 10 days. Any guesses on roughly how long until p2 presentation and filters?

Time to go for a run...

NDW
8th Sep 2010, 19:42
Re-filled my out on the Online form also today. I checked my emails as soon as it appeared on my hotmail list, and re-applied almost instantly.:ok:

Lets hope that some of us hear from the RAF/AFCO soon.

All the best

NDW

OASC
9th Sep 2010, 13:58
ASTHMA AND RAF SELECTION

There have been a considerable number of threads recently regarding the employment of Asthma sufferers within the Royal Air Force. This thread is intended to detail the current rules which were updated in April 2010.

Asthma is a disease of the medium sized airways characterised by inflammation of the airway wall, constriction of the muscle of the airway wall and excessive mucus production. These all conspire to narrow the airway impeding the entry and exit of air into the lungs. The onset of symptoms is often unpredictable and can be either gradual or extremely rapid. To make things a little more difficult asthma is not a single entity but a continuum of disease ranging from nocturnal cough, cough on exercise or in cold weather to intermittent wheeze requiring treatment with inhalers to life threatening disease requiring emergency treatment. Asthma or wheezing diathesis in childhood is common and up to 30% of childhood sufferers will go on to have further episodes as an adult, identifying who those 30% are is extremely difficult hence the current policy on asthma as laid down in AP1269A Leaflet 5-03 para 4.

ASTHMA AND SELECTION FOR AIRCREW

The Asthma policy for those seeking a career in any of the Aircrew branches is as follows:

(1) Candidates with a current or past history of asthma are to be made permanently unfit for aircrew duties.

(2) Candidates with a history of a single episode of wheeze in association with a respiratory tract infection after their 5th birthday are to be referred for specialist assessment. Those with a negative assessment on formal testing may be acceptable for aircrew selection. Those with demonstrable bronchial hyper-responsiveness after the infection has resolved are to be made permanently unfit aircrew duties.

An accurate history is the most useful tool OASC has in deciding whether a candidate has had asthma in the past; this is gleaned from both the candidate on their medical form, and their general practitioner who provides OASC with a report.

NOTE: If you are unsure whether you have had disqualifying asthma you should fill in an asthma Medical Supplement leaflet via your AFCO which will then be assessed at OASC.

ASTHMA AND SELECTION FOR GROUND BRANCHES

The policy on asthma for ground branches is less stringent than that for aircrew, but has become stricter following a review in April of this year. Once again the diagnosis will be based upon the candidate’s medical history. If the candidates answers YES to any of the following questions then they will be considered unfit for entry:

(1)Are you currently on any treatment for asthma?

(2) Have you had any asthmatic symptoms including nocturnal cough or exercise-induced wheezing in the past 5 years or since the age of 16 years?

(3) Have you used any inhaler (continuously or intermittently) for control of asthma or wheeze for a period > 8 weeks in the 5 years before application?

(4) Have you required oral steroids for asthma or wheeze since the age of 5 yrs?

(5) Have you required admission to an intensive care unit for asthma at any time in your life?

(6) Have you required a hospital admission > 24 hours for asthma or wheeze since your 5th birthday?

In addition to the above questions if the candidate’s GP report shows that he/she has had more than 2 distinct episodes of wheeze after reaching the age of 5 or any recorded peak expiratory flow rate readings less than 80% of the lower limit of the predicted range for age and gender he/she will also be found unfit for entry. As for aircrew, applicants for ground branches who are unsure whether they have had disqualifying asthma should also complete an Asthma Medical Supplement Leaflet which is submitted to the Medical Board via their AFCO.

NDW
12th Sep 2010, 12:34
Afternoon,

Just a quick post regarding if anyone has heard any news about the RAF NCA Application form (Online).

The position re-opened this week (Thursday 9th September) and it stated for a limited time only.

I applied again the Thursday just gone (9th September) for WSOp in particular WSOp (Crewman) and WSOp (Electronic Warfare), however as I am fully aware this won't be taken into consideration just yet until streaming take place.

All the best

NDW

sentry125
12th Sep 2010, 19:13
Hi, I'm 18 years old, 19 in February, in second year of 6th form and really want to be a pilot in the RAF on either multi-engine or rotary-wing preferably, and wanted to ask for any tips on what would make me stand out when applying, I know it's not a walk in the park and realise i'll be pushed to my limits and then beyond them, so I've got about a year until I'd join and am making sure from now that i'm in good enough shape for it and keeping up with all my studies.
So if anyone has any advice, or just general info then that'd be great thanks

Dan

NDW
12th Sep 2010, 19:19
Good Evening Dan,

If you look at the thread regarding OASC at the top of this forum, there will be hundreds of tips and advice in there for you.

I myself am 18, and have recently applied for WSOp, however I finished my A levels early and was only awarded 2 x AS grades, so best advice is to stay on and complete your full A levels (unlike me :ugh:).

As I have been told by many on this forum (Who's advice is priceless by the way :ok:) get good leadership experience and try and get yourself in a sports team.

Hope this helps, but please be aware I am only a wannabe also there are many current and ex. Military aircrew on this forum who I am more than sure will be happy to help.

All the best

NDW

airborne_artist
12th Sep 2010, 19:20
Read the OASC sticky at the top.

Go to uni so you have a back-up.

Get fit, prepare well, and enjoy.

Peter-Johnston
12th Sep 2010, 19:40
It's true what the famous brand says. "Just do it" All I ever wanted to be was a pilot, ever since I was a kid. I went to the Air Training Corps at fourteen. Went to college then university then joined the RAF. I've been all over the world and loved every minute. If I had to do it all again I wouldn't change a thing. My advice would be to devote yourself and do your very best, focus and the reward will come. I still wear my top gun flight suit (http://topgunflightsuit.net)now and again when I feel like it as it brings back so many memories.

sentry125
12th Sep 2010, 19:46
Yeah, I've read part of the OASC already and got some info off there, but as for sports team, thats a bit harder because although i'm not unfit, i'm not really good at sports :/

I can swim well and ski well, but not really much else really..

also on the leadership side, I've done an ILM level 2 award in Team Leading, just signed up for the Level 3 In Line Management course, and am going to sign up to do my PADI Divemaster too, so that should all be on my side, shouldn't it?

Dan

BEagle
12th Sep 2010, 19:57
It won't hurt....

But - why no DoE Gold / Silver? Why no ATC experience?

And why on earth wouldn't you want to fly fast jets? 250ft at 420 KIAS - bl**dy terrific! Nothing else comes close - and don't believe anyone who tries to tell you otherwise!

Good luck!

Flap62
12th Sep 2010, 20:36
Sentry,

If it was I who was mad keen to join up I would have read and digested ALL of the thread at the top. I would have to ask why you have only looked at some of it.

As Beags suggested, it would also be interested as to why you aren't interested in fast jets.

Ultimately, you can read about it and prepare as much as you can but you've either got what it takes to be selected/make it through IOT/pilot training or you haven't.

spuk87
13th Sep 2010, 20:51
Hi, a friend of mine recently went to OASC (and passed, as pilot) and said that for the fitness test everyone was told to run at 13.9km/h. This equates to a time of 10m22s approx for the 1.5mile, he said that the times have recently been revised so the 'old' green time has now become the 'amber' time i.e. just to pass nowadays the time is 10m12s.

As you can see, this is conflicting information (as my friend passed, which according to the above he should not have). As far as I know; based on my OASC letter (dated 7th Sep) and what I was told at filter interview; the amber time is 11m11s and the green time is 10m12s. Can someone confirm if this is still the case?

Many thanks.
Simon

Pontius Navigator
13th Sep 2010, 21:12
Spuk, 10-12 is not startling. Don't worry about the standards, just aim at 9-30 and you will be OK.

Spearmint-R33
14th Sep 2010, 10:17
Looking at my chart on the wall which arrived with my invite to the OASC, an under 30yr old male does indeed have to run the 1.5mile in at least 10min 12secs for a green pass.

I'm shortly leaving to attend the OASC later today so by Friday I'll have the most up to date info if it has indeed changed.

muppetofthenorth
14th Sep 2010, 11:03
The problem is OASC and OACTU do not always sing off the same hymn sheet.

spuk87
14th Sep 2010, 11:20
Pontius- that's my problem, I can only manage 11m36s at the moment! At best I think I will get below the 11m11s time in the next 5 weeks.

Spearmint- good luck, and it would be much appreciated if you can shed some light on the above. My OASC letter (I'm going in 5 weeks) also says the same as yours.

Spearmint-R33
14th Sep 2010, 12:17
Spuk87, you have 5 weeks to get that time down. Use it wisely.

I thought I was fit before I started with my training for a Wannabe WSOp what with station circuits 3 times a week, being a boxercise instructor and the odd run. I was also quite comfortable with my running although when I realised just how fit you had to be (55(R)Sqn was a real eye opener!) just to get noticed I soon changed my regime.

So 5 months ago, out went the booze and crap foods. Off came 11Kg in weight and the running got a hell of a lot easier. 11 weeks ago, half way through my new regime I was running the 1.5mile in 11mins 12secs, I now do it in 9mins 45secs. I'm still cracking out 60 press ups in a minute if I push my self and around 45 sit-ups so I know I've dropped the right kind of weight. My Wife appreciates it as well! ;)

So just get out there and get running. Plot a 1 mile route to a hill which takes you a minute to get up it, jog there and sprint up the hill 10x then jog back. Go for nice long runs as well to build up your stamina so you do have something in reserve when called for on short distance runs.

Find a running track and run laps around it at a 1min 32sec pace. Try 1x lap, 30 sec rest - 2x lap, 30 sec rest - 4x lap, 30 sec pace then 6x lap, collapse.

If you want to pass hard enough you will put the effort in. Best of luck. :ok:

Pontius Navigator
14th Sep 2010, 13:19
So 5 months ago, out went the booze and crap foods. Off came 11Kg in weight and the running got a hell of a lot easier. 11 weeks ago, half way through my new regime I was running the 1.5mile in 11mins 12secs, I now do it in 9mins 45secs. I'm still cracking out 60 press ups in a minute if I push my self and around 45 sit-ups so I know I've dropped the right kind of weight.

Spot on Spearmint. My comfortable weight is around 82kg but my racing weight a long time ago in my early 30s was 69kg.

A doc once gave me some dietary advice as I was up to around 89kg in my early 20s. He started by asking what I had for breakfast - it totalled near 3500 calories - after lunch, tea and dinner, a few pints of the amber nectar rounded off the day. He gave me a traffic light calorie sheet and told me I should cut back to 1000 cal per day.

It was hard but it worked.

I no longer take sugar in drinks. I do not drink sugary drinks. I do not add salt to my food.

So Spuk, in your own hands be it - just keep the food out of your hands.

iranair777
14th Sep 2010, 20:37
Hiya all, I'm currently 19, just finished off my a levels and was about to start uni doing a pilot studies course until it hit me how much it was actually going to cost (although I probably could have continued with the amount I had already). I've decided to take a gap year and find some work (which hasnt been successful) to gain experience. mainly cause i had social anxiety until around a year ago and havent got any, if at all, experience in anything. I have now started contemplating joining the RAF to become a pilot as I don't really mind how I become any type of pilot as long as I am in the air and around aircraft. I know it might sound like I havent done research into all the options, but I have and at the moment the RAF is sounding like a really suitable choice for me, but what I'm worried about is the physicals and am worried about failing the many steps (other than physical, as I can run 1.5 miles in less than 10 mins) involved in becoming a pilot within the RAF. Anyone got any advice and information on well anything within the pilots training within the raf? Also how would it fit with someone who hasn't had much social experiences but is willing to start fresh?

iranair777
14th Sep 2010, 20:53
what about my nickname? whens the next time I can apply?

NDW
14th Sep 2010, 21:17
Good evening all.

Received some good news this afternoon regarding my WSOp application form in which I applied for online.

My application has been forwarded to my local AFCO and I should hear back within two days regarding selection tests.

They also supplied forms for me to complete, which I have completed :ok:.

Fitness is improving and I feel ready for the challenge ahead.

Thanks again

Nathan

Pontius Navigator
14th Sep 2010, 21:22
good luck Nathan :D

KF :)

Unchecked
15th Sep 2010, 09:27
Awesome, just awesome!:E:D

Pontius Navigator
15th Sep 2010, 16:05
Spuk, et al, I just dug out my RCAF 5BX exercise plans. It has a graduated series of exercise with a number of charts. Between ages of 20-29 it is recommended that 2 days is spent at each level. Would be applicants for aircrew would be expected to achieve the required level for in about 4 months. There are 5 levels in a chart and aircrew under 25 should attain Chart 5 level B+. However if you have trouble at any level then you should remain at that level until you can easily move up to the next level.

This plan has been around for 60 years but bears a close similarity to what is required for the RAF Fitness tests.

So, what is the maintenance exercise regime for young aircrew?

The first exercise lasts for 2 minutes and execises 2-4 follow on immediately and take one minute each. Exercise 5 lasts 6 minutes and the whole should take only 11 minutes.

Exercise 1 is a warm up.
Chart 5 level B+

It starts with 28 reps of stretching, touching the outside the left foot, between the feet and press once, outside the right foot, swing up, circle bend backwards and repeat, reverse after 14.

exercise 2 is a sit up with your arms behind your head, touch your right elbow to left knee and reverse each rep - 36 in a minute.

exercise 3 is lying face down, full length, raise arms and raise legs, thighs should come completely off the floor. 47 reps.

exercise 4, press ups, claping your hands in each rep, 40 in a minute.

exercise 5 may be a stationary run for 6 minutes. Knees waist high, with 10 semi-spread eagle jumps every 75 steps (one step every left foot) 465 which therefore includes 60 jumps.

An alternative was a one mile run in under 6 min 12 sec.

Warning:
Things change - the current fitness industry has labeled some of the exercises unsafe

http://gregsadetsky.com/_files/5bx-plan.pdf

Jamias
15th Sep 2010, 20:50
Spuk87, I agree with Spearmint-R33 that you'll need to spend your 5 weeks wisely.

I'm also getting fit for selection at OASC and about 6 weeks ago I did a bleep test and got 9.8, which is pathetic. I then started interval training.

I warm up for around 4-5 mins with a gentle jog, sprint for 30 secs and then jog for 60 secs, repeat this 12 times, then cool down for 4-5 mins. It should take around 30 mins including warm-up and cool-down and when done properly you should berely be able to walk by the end of it.

I've been doing this for about a month, 2-3 times a week, and have seen a dramatic increase in my fitness. Doing this has cut my 3 mile time down by 1.5 mins to 20.40 and my 1.5 mile by about a min to 10.07, these times definitely weren't possible 6 weeks ago.

This is very similar to Spearmint's advice to find a hill to run to and then run up 10x. I just thought I'd reinforce how good this training is. It will increase your speed over a short distance which is good for OASC because as far as I'm aware long distance runs aren't done there. Another benefit is that it's a lot more interesting then just running at the same pace which usually means that you'll stick at it.

If you want any more info on this and have got a spare half hour then just google interval training, there are loads of good websites.

Best of luck :ok:

NDW
16th Sep 2010, 10:00
Quick update from me again.

AFCO have been in touch and I've been booked in for Aptitude testing for WSOp next thursday.

Ball is finally rolling.

I shall let you all know how I get on then.

Thanks again

Nathan

OASC
17th Sep 2010, 09:17
In this bulletin, we would like to clear up a couple of issues that have been raised recently regarding medical, fitness and aptitude aspects of the selection process.

Medical

We see recurring comments about eyesight standards and anthropometric measurements for prospective aircrew. The bottom line with both of these areas is that you, as an individual, cannot do anything about your size or eyesight. Therefore, we will not be publishing the anthropometric measurement criteria in this thread because, unless you are a qualified medical technician and have the appropriate measuring equipment, they are meaningless. Clearly, we would not want to encourage individuals to take their measurements using a tape measure in order to help them make a decision as to whether they should apply for a career in the RAF. Likewise, we will not be publishing eyesight standards because, again, they are meaningless unless you are a qualified optometrist. However, the medical staffs at OASC have recommended that individuals, especially those who think that their eyesight might be of concern, should go to a reputable high street optometrist and have their eyes assessed. Then, the individual should send their results, through their AFCO, to the OASC medical staff who will be able to assess them and provide an opinion as to whether it is worth pursuing an application in a chosen branch.

Aptitude

Recently we received an enquiry about whether a set of aptitude scores for the Royal Navy would count towards an RAF application. The answer to this question is yes in part. The RN and Army employ exactly the same aptitude test batteries for pilot but have opted to not employ the revised RAF pilot aptitude battery yet. This means that for an individual who has undertaken the RN/Army pilot aptitude batteries and subsequently wants to apply for RAF pilot, then they would need to revisit the OASC to undertake the additional RAF pilot tests. Please note that aptitude results last for 12 months before they expire and a retest is required – unless an individual is selected for training beforehand. Equally, a candidate may not re-take any of the aptitude tests within the 12 month period. The latest information regarding the revised RAF Pilot aptitude test can be found at OASC Bulletin 30 (#587).

Fitness

Earlier this year, we published details of the OASC Selection Fitness Test (SFT) in Post 79; the SFT replaced the standard RAF Fitness Test as the physical fitness selection tool on 1 Apr 10. All of the information in Post 79 is still current; moreover, we require candidates to achieve at least an Amber standard before they will be considered suitable for selection. However, you should strive for the best performance in order to make yourselves as competitive as possible and give yourselves the best chance of sustaining your fitness throughout training and your career.

The OACTU Fitness Assessment (OFA) is slightly different in that the 1.5 mile run is undertaken outside on grass (rather than on a treadmill as at OASC); this is slightly more difficult than running on a treadmill – but otherwise the standards required for a pass are unchanged. Nevertheless, OACTU staff will expect individuals to have prepared to such a level where they are aiming to achieve the Green standard - although Amber is still classed as acceptable. Consequently, the more fitness preparation that an individual puts in prior to Initial Officer Training, the more likely they are to succeed because they will have more reserves of energy and are potentially more resistant to injury.

NDW
17th Sep 2010, 10:39
KF,

I should have probably made it slightly clearer, my apologies.

I have to take an A.S.T (Airman Selection Test) to determine whether I have the right aptitude for WSOp.

If successful, I shall attend the P2 presentation and after that if I wish to continue with my application, book my Filer Interview.

OASC still do their own Aptitude, Medical, Fitness & leadership training, I think the AST is a new test that has been taken (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

All the best

NDW

muppetofthenorth
17th Sep 2010, 14:29
Nevertheless, OACTU staff will expect individuals to have prepared to such a level where they are aiming to achieve the Green standard - although Amber is still classed as acceptable.

It might be, on paper, 'acceptable, but if you're on IOT and consistently only getting Amber, you will not be highly regarded and you will be warned - facing possible sanctions - for poor performance.

This is from direct, recent experience of the OACTU system (and I'm not for one minute suggesting that it's a bad thing, either, just letting people know).

tb231
20th Sep 2010, 10:24
I was applying as a pilot but have just had my application terminated before my formal briefing as i have had acl repair surgery. Despite mentioning this through the entire process right from the beginning, any all recruitment officers saying it was absolutely fine, it is now apparently not.

Since then (Thursay 16/9) i have been looking online and found various articles stating that the RAF had changed it policy along with the army and now looked at ACL repairs on a case by case basis. THese are just rumers and there is nothing on the website, it just states that is (subject to single Service policy) which is exactly what it says on the Mod application form and does not state the RAF serivce policy.

So i was wondering if you could help me clear this up, i dont want to miss out on this opertunity just because of the possiblity of my recruitment centre being behind the times.

muppetofthenorth
20th Sep 2010, 10:54
Ask your AFCO to enquire with the President of the Medical Board at OASC as to the official, current, rules.

You could ask yourself, but not without learning how to spell 'rumours' or 'opportunity'. Don't be surprised, however, if they come back with a no, the RAF is taking fewer people than it has for a long time and it can afford to be very picky.

Whatever you do, do it quickly, as you're running out of time with regards to your age.

NDW
23rd Sep 2010, 10:58
Good Morning all,

I undertook my WSOp aptitude test with a dissappointing outcome, I was out of the score zone by 7 marks :mad:!!!!

The AFCA advised me if I wanted to re sit the test, I can do in 6 months time, but I was wondering what are the RAF Officer Aircrew selection tests like? Are they mainly computer based (Joystick, rudder pedals, moving dot)?

I am dissappointed but I have learnt a great deal and I'm not giving up just yet :ok:.

Would it be possible for me to complete my A Levels, apply for WSO and if selected at P2 stage, go to Cranwell to undertake my Aptitude Testing there?

OR

Is it the end of the road for me as a Aircrew career?

Many thanks for all help and guidance

NDW

Cornerstone958
23rd Sep 2010, 13:57
NDW
Try reading the 'sticky' at the top of the page.
CS

muppetofthenorth
23rd Sep 2010, 14:03
As you've been told on another forum, the OASC battery is longer and harder than the AST you've just taken.

Take the time to go away and get your skill levels up. If you want the job, then the bit of extra work won't deter you.

c130jbloke
23rd Sep 2010, 15:50
NDW,

As the others have said and I agree with, go away and complete the A levels for a start. The scary thing is that even if you had passed the tests, you would have been in the lower end of the band and with the number of applicants coming through the door now you need all the help you can get. As said, read the stick at the top and form a plan from there.

Good luck.

Ramp Monkey
23rd Sep 2010, 17:44
The bar is set very high now , we don't need aircrew or Officers unless you are Regt or Spec med personnel . Go get some more education .

airborne_artist
23rd Sep 2010, 17:51
What grade did you get at Maths GCSE? I'm fairly sure there's a strong link, particularly if you are not doing any Maths at AS/A level.

NDW
23rd Sep 2010, 18:29
Many thanks for all your replies.

A_A regarding my Maths GCSE I achieved a grade C (9 marks of a Grade B), by no means excellent - but its a pass.

c130jbloke, I totally agree, now that I have experienced what the tests are like, and I fully appreciate that OASC will be longer and Harder, I am now in a position to continue with education and complete my A levels.

So fingers crossed for the future, and thanks for the supportive comments, really very much appreciated. :ok:

All the Best

Nathan

airborne_artist
23rd Sep 2010, 18:43
my Maths GCSE I achieved a grade C (9 marks of a Grade B), by no means excellent - but its a pass

Sorry to piss on your parade, but that's your problem - a grade C in Maths isn't enough for an aircrew (P/WSO/WSOp/ATC etc) pass. It's a pass in the eyes of the AFCO, but the ability it demonstrates is way short of the ability required to pass at OASC.

You might be able to turn it round, but it'll take a lot of effort.

The Old Fat One
23rd Sep 2010, 19:58
Talk about "qualification creep". In 75 we required 3 'O' levels including English and a science subject - any pass would do.

As far as I know the job is the same, so WTF are all the academics for?

PS Weird thing aptitude. Very famously there was a young dude who was struggling a little at the old dry stuff on the Nimrod. Out the blue, he grabs a commission at OASC and ends as a very capable Jaguar pilot. Go figure.

Pontius Navigator
23rd Sep 2010, 20:22
TOFT,

In the 60s it was 4-O-levels for NCA and 5 for pilot/nav/aeo and 2-A levels if you wanted to go to Cranditz - the only change for officer aircrew is that they now need 2-A levels, but then they go to Cranditz now.

OASC
27th Sep 2010, 13:22
In this bulletin, we would like to highlight the current policy regarding qualifications that are required for entry into the RAF as a commissioned officer, non-commissioned aircrew and non-commissioned ATC.

The information previously contained in this thread has been superseded by OASC Bulletin 27 on Thread 460 (Pg 23) of this forum.

OASC
28th Sep 2010, 14:44
In this bulletin, we would like to highlight the current policy regarding anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.

The forces involved in rupturing an anterior cruciate ligament are such that other damage to the knee, such as tears of a meniscus or damage to the knee joint surfaces, are common. If left untreated the ACL deficient knee is likely to suffer further damage resulting in premature osteoarthritis. While the surgical reconstruction of the ACL has progressed considerably over the years the reconstructed ligament is not able to mimic exactly the function of a normal knee, the knee therefore remains at greater risk of further injury and arthritis. In the words of a specialist knee surgeon “following reconstruction, the knee is not normal and never will be”.

The tri-service policy regarding anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction is quite straight forward and has not changed since 2006:

3.12.47 Knee ligaments. Candidates with any degree of instability of the collateral or cruciate ligaments of the knee joint or previous surgical repair of a cruciate ligament are graded L8 (ie unfit for Service). extract from Joint Service Publication (JSP) 346

There is reference in the JSP to assessment by a Service specialist in orthopaedics for selected candidates who have had an ACL reconstruction, however this relates to an Army study into the robustness of ACL reconstructions during Army training. The RAF is not, and has not, been involved with this study. In short, it is considered that an ACL reconstruction will probably perform perfectly adequately under normal circumstances in civilian life; however, the rigours of military service places the reconstruction and the knee joint under extra stress with the risk of further damage or premature osteoarthritis.

MylesSRi
5th Oct 2010, 15:22
Hi

Im keen on joing the air force, ive allways wanted to since i was about four. I started flying privately when i was fourteen and have been doing so for the last five years, ive forty hours experience, 3 exams passed, i nearly have my PPL. I've friends who are airline pilots and im lucky enough to train with fulltime air ambulance pilots, so i have a good insight into the civilan professional aviation scene. However what i seem to be picking up from these pilots is that they are bored with there fulltime jobs because they spend most of their time flying on autopilot, this has made me even more keen on joining the air force because i know i will be challenged in an RAF career and it will be exciting.

My question is, are RAF sponsorhip schemes open to anyone in any university? Im trying to gain a sponsorship because obviously it will help financially but more importantly ill get a shot at applying for the RAF now as a pilot rather than having to wait two more years before i finish university. However, i seem to be getting told that i cant get one because of the university im at, anyone be able to help?

Pontius Navigator
5th Oct 2010, 16:13
Which university? Do they teach English?

Aerouk
5th Oct 2010, 17:41
I must agree with PN.

However what i seem to be picking up from these pilots is that they are bored with there fulltime jobs because they spend most of their time flying on autopilot, this has made me even more keen on joining the air force because i know i will be challenged in an RAF career and it will be exciting.

I've never ever heard an airline pilot admit this, I mean airline pilots certainly like a moan but never about just flying in autopilot all day.

If this pushes you towards the RAF, what are you going to do if you get stuck on a transport aircraft?

Anyhooo... good luck with University and the PPL :ok:

hightower1986
5th Oct 2010, 20:38
I am wondering if someone can help with a question? I am trying to find some information regarding the fitness test part of OASC, for the sit ups are your feet held down or are you to keep them flat on the floor?

Also from what I can find on the internet, Green level seems to be around 35 of each in one minute and ten minutes or under for the 1.5 mile run, does this sound about right? Many thanks

Aerouk
5th Oct 2010, 21:24
Press up scores:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/D9D3F230_1143_EC82_2E37F5CDCD16DDD3.doc

Sit up scores:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/D9D45B98_1143_EC82_2E4685C02E836A9C.doc

Edit: I'm not 100% sure if they are the correct scores, maybe on of those serving or ex-serving can confirm?

Herc-u-lease
6th Oct 2010, 00:35
Which university? Do they teach English? almost as funny as it was predictable:ok:

Myles, having had quick look at the RAF website, it directs you to seek the advice of the AFCO; specifically getting your hands a on a copy of PAM(AIR) 296. You didn't mention who was giving you the info that your uni is unacceptable - reliable person?. If you do not have access to a UAS at your uni or locale you may be at a disadvantage, but I don't know if it would be a show-stopper in itself.

In short, get the advice from the AFCO.

H-u-L

hightower1986
6th Oct 2010, 19:46
Thanks for the information Aerouk, does any one else know the "correct form" for the sit ups? On the RAF site it shows in one part the feet being held down, but i feel this is maybe inaccurate?

muppetofthenorth
6th Oct 2010, 19:57
It depends a lot on the PTIs on the day and what mood they're in [and you think I'm joking...].

Normally, however, it is roughly the following:

Feet shoulder width apart, knees bent at 90°. Fingers to temples, elbows to the front. All the way down until your shoulder blades hit the floor, all the way up until your elbows are on the tops of your knees. Feet held very lightly.

Aerouk
19th Oct 2010, 14:11
So the information is starting to come out about the shape of our military in future years, anyone wish to comment on what they think recruitment for aircrew will be like?

I imagine it will be dire, but how dire can we expect it to become?

Pontius Navigator
19th Oct 2010, 14:27
Reduced but not slashed as you need a throughput in the system to maintain the age profile and keep the system ticking over.

Braddersb
21st Oct 2010, 18:01
Are Uni bursaries and the UAS going to stay on? or has the funding been reduced post SDSR?

Pontius Navigator
21st Oct 2010, 18:39
Bradder, I think things will be confused for a week or so. Any answer you get in good faith is as likely to be wrong as right.

WANTING WSOP
24th Oct 2010, 15:01
Hi There

I returned from OSAC a couple about 6 weeks ago getting down to the last 5 from the original total of 32. I am applying for Air Crew.

I recieved a letter shortly afterwards to say that I needed to get my liver function test repeated. Due to various things my liver results were inflated - I had been taking too much cod liver oil etc - stupid I know but after a 2 week detox and a re-test my results came back all clear.

3 days later I got another letter to say I had been sucessfull to this point and now my application would go infront of a board sometime in Decemeber! Not surprised due to the Strategic Defence Review - just a very long process and the waiting game is awful.

Whilst I know no-one has a magic ball -I was just hoping someone may have some views on my particular situation. Do you think they will be given a set amount of places for the new financial year and that everyone who has made it through selection will be discussed at the board meeting and then the best put through? If so - clearly my future depends on the amount of recruitment and the grade I achieved at Cranwell?

I have dedicated everything to getting this job - just concerned now that recruitment will be so low - I have possibly chosen the worst time ever to try and get in!

All I can do now is wait for the letter in Dec at some point...

Any advice or insight appreciated.

Cheers:confused:

Pontius Navigator
24th Oct 2010, 15:29
Do you think they will be given a set amount of places for the new financial year and that everyone who has made it through selection will be discussed at the board meeting and then the best put through?

Good analysis and probably true. The $64000 question is how many.

Best money will be on somewhere between zero and very few.

Treebeard04
2nd Nov 2010, 15:31
I have recently, after fighting the med baord for almost a year and a half, been passed fit for aircrew (my initial application was barred due to migraine on my med records).
The letter states that it has passed on the information to the exceutive. I have phoned the number given to me at Cranwell where, like the million other times I phoned, i got a grumpy sounding recepionist who had no clue about my case or any idea of where to pass me on to and once again took my number and promised to phone me back, that was a week ago!!
Does anybody have any insight into who I should phone regarding my application as I'm sick of waiting for months on end to hear back from anyone?
I know it is a terrible time for recruitment and that they are being tight but my initial application was sucessful and if my medical clearance had came through when it should have I would currently be on week 9 at IOT.
Any thoughts would be welcomed

Pontius Navigator
2nd Nov 2010, 15:59
I suggest you write to OASC.

The receptionist has lots of thigs to do and the person to whom she would pass your request may well have been away. Records of telephone calls tend to be prioritised and less important ones easily overlooked.

If you write then you have a better chance of getting a response.

Kernow Jam
2nd Nov 2010, 18:22
Im new on here so learning the ropes still,
I have done my aptitude tests and passed so i am eligible for weapon systems operator, I have my interview on the 15th of November and then hopefully selection after that. I just want to know what to expect and the best things to revise and be prepared for? If anyone could help would be great, cheers

ElSupremo
2nd Nov 2010, 22:15
This may be a silly question with an obvious answer but with all of the recent cut backs have the RN stopped intaking FJ candidates with immediate effect?

airborne_artist
3rd Nov 2010, 07:13
have the RN stopped intaking FJ candidates with immediate effect?

No such thing, anyway. They are only streamed FJ at the end of EFT. Until that time no-one has any idea which route they will take.

ElSupremo
4th Nov 2010, 23:20
AA - so people can still apply through the RN even though the FAA seems to have been disbanded?

muppetofthenorth
4th Nov 2010, 23:52
AA - so people can still apply through the RN even though the FAA seems to have been disbanded?

ES, a lesson in facts:

The SDSR has brought about the retirement, premature or otherwise, of the Harrier GR9.

Removal of one type of aircraft, no matter how important that aircraft might be, does not equal the disbandment of an entire force structure.

For someone who's been, supposedly, looking into this for years, you appear really quite dim sometimes.

ALM In Waiting
5th Nov 2010, 13:00
Kernow Jam

I found thestudentroom.co.uk very useful when I was applying, tends to be very up to date. There are normally posts by people describing the whole Filter/OASC experience, some only a few hours after getting back. Good luck.

airborne_artist
7th Nov 2010, 14:01

Given that less than 10% of FAA aircrew are FW, thatś a strange assumption.

OneFifty
29th Nov 2010, 17:35
Potential officer applicants should be aware that, from the new year, the basic educational requirements for entry are to change. The revised requirements will mean candidates must have 5 x GCSEs at grade A-C and 2 'A' levels at grade A-C. Candidates applying for Pilot, ABM, ATC and Int will have to possess GCSE maths at grade B or above.

hightower1986
29th Nov 2010, 19:45
Do you know how that would affect someone that has just had a filter interview and only has grade C for maths. Sounds like it could be a bit of a blow, can I ask where you got your information? Thank you

OneFifty
29th Nov 2010, 21:13
Higher1986, if you have already been filtered, you should be ok as long as OASC call you forward before the new year. This is likely. I got this information from an internal email: I am an RAF recruiter responsible for officer application.

Regards.

Bromhead
30th Nov 2010, 12:34
Hi all,

Sorry, I know it has been done to death, but does anyone know the current OASC standing on laser eye surgery for pilot applicants? Is it true that they accept on a 'case-by-case' basis?

Thanks.

Aerouk
30th Nov 2010, 18:14
OneFifty,

Do you know what it will be for Scottish qualifications? i.e. Standard Grades, just so I can pass them over to a relative.

Scottish grades are slightly different, they're marked by numbers 1/2 = Credit, 3/4 = General and 5/6 is Foundation.

OneFifty
30th Nov 2010, 19:11
Bromhead, a quick search for 'Medical Standards' on the RAF web site will provide you with your answer. Essentially, you can't have had the procrdure in the twelve months prior to submitting your application. The medical bods at OASC will decide the rest.

AeroUK, I'm sorry but I do not yet know the exact equivalents. I could give you an assumption but I don't want to risk giving incorrect information. The answer to your question should be answered with the release of the directive which could be on Friday.

hightower1986
1st Dec 2010, 18:43
F.A.O Onefifty, do you know what the fitness test involves at OASC? Is it 1.5mile run plus best effort push ups/sit ups in 1 minute, ? Or is the bleep test also included with this? thank you

Treebeard04
2nd Dec 2010, 18:17
the current oasc fitness test is a 1.5 mile run on a treadmil (there is a sheet with what to set the treadmil to run the ditsance in a certain time) followed by as many press ups and sit ups you can do in 1 min. you need to get into the amber sector to pass which is the run in 11.15mins, 20 press ups and 25 sit ups with the green sector being the run in 10.15mins, 40 press ups and 41 sit ups.

Treebeard04
2nd Dec 2010, 18:25
firstly apologies for the disgusting spelling above!

I posted a few months back stating my problem with joining with a migraine on my records. It took me 3 specialists, 2 GP's and then finally a letter from the doctor who initially diagnosed me all those years ago. This got the attention of the medical board (who have the inability to talk to eachother and pass on new information between departments and with me). I was referred to a military specialist who took all of 5 mins to realise i was no risk and that the entire thing was a joke. I have now been passed clear for aircrew with my application (i visited oasc in june 2009) still being used. I go back in the pot pending the release of the intake numbers for the next year and become competitive again with the other applications. I have to take this as a good thing as although i was selected and had it taken off me for this now cleared up medical problem, at least I'm still in with a shout and I have everything crossed to hope there is a space for me when the numbers come out.
If you have a similar medical problem and want it as much as I do, I recommend hounding the medical board ( dont wait for them as you will be waiting forever) and trying to get talking to the right people asap (you'll find yourself talking to a lot of med board recepionists otherwise) Make a nuisance of yourself and hopefully they will finally take notice.
Keep your fingers crossed that theres a space for me and I am happy to answer any questions regarding medical issues!

OneFifty
2nd Dec 2010, 22:10
I would suggest that making a nuisance of yourself isn't the best way to make yourself favourable to those at OASC! All too often we get people telling us that they most definitely are suitable and the system is wrong. Be careful not to fall into this trap. People sometimes forget that this is a selection process like a job interview. With selection now as tight as it is, the last thing you want to do is upsetting the very people who might select you.

NDW
5th Dec 2010, 13:39
Afternoon all,

Does anyone know the reason why the AST was introduced to the WSOp selection?

I undetook the test 2 two months ago and failed for WSOp by very little marks.

I was always under the impression that for WSOp you would undertake Aptitude testing and other other nesseccary testing at OASC?

Thanks

OneFifty
5th Dec 2010, 16:44
NDW

AST was introduce for WSOp because far too many people, although educationally qualified, were getting to OASC despite not having a cat in hells chance of being suitable. It's easier to weed these out at the AFCO before they get to OASC.

Interestingly, we are about to start a trial where potential officers sit AST, which they must pass before being put forward for OASC.

NDW
5th Dec 2010, 17:42
OneFifty,

Thanks for your reply.

Fully understandable reason & in many ways, I'm glad I had failed because thinking about it, I probably was not ready for what I was going into.

At least now I have more time to get fit, study/revise (If I get the oppurtunity again) and to try and get more experience, I'm currently in the process of helping out local charities with fundraising :ok:.

Will be interesting to see what the Officer AST brings and shows in pontential RAF Officers.

Thanks

OneFifty
6th Dec 2010, 11:45
Information released today gives clarification on the change of education requirements for Officer/Non-Commissioned Aircrew applicants:

OFFICER

Due to the fewer officer vacancies currently within the RAF, it has been decided that for applications processed from 1 Jan 1011, the academic requirement will be increased to 2 x 'A' levels grade A-C and 5 x GCSC grades A-C. For the aptitude branches (Pilot, ABM, ATC & Int), the maths must be at least grade B.

NON-COMMISSIONED AIRCREW/SNCO ATC

The withdrawal of the Nimrod aircraft has seen a reduction in the requirement for WSOps hence for the foreseeable future we will not be recruiting for this role. When we do recommence, the academic requirement will remain at 5 x GCSE Grade A-C, one of which must be maths at grade B. NCO ATC will also have this increased academic requirement.

A note on Pilot recruitment:

Due to the withdrawal of the Harrier and Nimrod aircraft from Service it is not envisaged that any new recruit pilots will commence employment in the RAF before July 2012. Potential pilots may still be processed by RAF Recruiting and passed to OASC, providing they meet the new educational criteria, but they are to be informed throughout the process that even if successful they will not commence Initial Officer Training until at least 2012. The age restrictions on pilots will not be waived so a candidate who will be 26 prior to starting training in 2012 will unfortunately not be eligible.

NDW
6th Dec 2010, 13:17
OneFifty,

Thanks for the head's up.

I'm surpised for the Aircrew roles that only the Maths grade has increased to a grade B, which is a bugger for me as I was only 7 marks away from a grade B in Maths :mad:.

So not looking good for any roles then for the foreseeable future.

Pontius Navigator
6th Dec 2010, 21:36
For the aptitude branches (Pilot, ABM, ATC & Int), the maths must be at least grade B.

I have been reminded that a Grade A or B is only available to students opting for the higher level paper.

If at the age of 14 you opt for a safer course with a top grade of C then you will automatically be disbarred from aircrew selection. How many potential applicants have determined to go for an aircrew or aptitude related career at the age of 14?

Melchett01
6th Dec 2010, 22:25
How many potential applicants have determined to go for an aircrew or aptitude related career at the age of 14?

Probably the determined ones who want nothing else! In that sense, this probably shouldn't be an issue for those, but it may put off / act as a filter for those who amble in to the careers office on the off chance. However, still a timely reminder for those looking to take their exams in the next year or so.

Not entirely sure why you would need a B at GCSE maths for Int though .... does the BBC website now have maths questions on it ?;)

muppetofthenorth
6th Dec 2010, 22:54
There are many facilities available both online and via nightschools for those with less-than-ideal GCSEs or A levels to gain the qualifications they need. One would surmise that if they wanted the job enough that such steps would not be beyond the wit of man.

NDW
8th Dec 2010, 13:39
Heard from another source that apparently 55(R) Squaddie is closing down? No longer need for WSO's and WSOps are not needed for a few years!!

Also I noticed today that the role of WSO has been removed from the RAF Careers section also.

What a horrid day!! :mad:

Wander00
8th Dec 2010, 15:41
Glad that was not the academic requirement in the early sixties. Passed GCE Maths and Advanced Maths, but failed Maths A Level. Was offered and accepted a deferred entry to Cranwell (Sep to Jan) and then they told me I had to take and Pass A Level Pure and Applied Maths in 2 terms, never having done Applied Maths. Did it too, and A Level Economics.

9th Dec 2010, 14:06
OneFifty

Does the freeze on pilot applicant training apply with immediate effect or is it related to the January 2011 date reffered to in your post? Put another way, will this affect those already in the selection process?

Also, is the B grade requirement for GCSE or A-level, and would this be waived were the applicant be able to display a suitable level of mathematics aptitude above that needed? For example if the applicant has a grade C at GCSE, grade C at A-level, but achieved a 2.1 in a maths related degree would that be accepted in lieu of a B grade at A level?

Cheers,

Jollygreengiant64
10th Dec 2010, 12:10
Can anyone who has knowledge answer whether or not the RAF still take online applications or is it now being done through the post, on paper? Looking at the website all there is is a phone number to call, but google seems to come up with a form, though the likelihood is that it is now defunct. I'm just looking for the fastest way to get an application through.

Sorry for posting this here, but as I am aiming for Wsop I'd put this as my best bet.

Thanks in advance,

Jolly

10th Dec 2010, 13:11
Jollygreengiant64

I'd point you to OneFifty's post above.

"The withdrawal of the Nimrod aircraft has seen a reduction in the requirement for WSOps hence for the foreseeable future we will not be recruiting for this role."

The only way to apply as far as I am aware is to phone the number. They will take your details and email you the forms to fill out when they are recruiting for the position.

I may stand corrected, however.

Jollygreengiant64
10th Dec 2010, 13:58

Thanks for pointing that out to me, I had read that post a couple of days ago and I'd imagine that in my dismay of how dire the recruitment process is getting to be for me that I hadn't actually digested the information completely. At the moment I have the GCSE's sans the maths grade (I got a C), though if I had to go back to get the 'B' I guess I would. After doing 2 years of A levels, including physics, I think my GCSE level knowledge has improved tenfold. Having not been much of an academic type I don't think my strengths lie in my grades. I do have the 2 A levels at grades which would currently get me through the door, until the new year that is.

Has anyone heard of someone in my present academic situation getting anywhere in an application for Pilot as of late? Either way I'll get this application in and hope it gets processed before the new year. I guess this is how Indiana Jones feels when he gets in just in time... Or not.

Thanks again 4015, that was a good heads up which could have been quite embarrassing!

OneFifty
10th Dec 2010, 15:43

If you have already started the process, and have already applied via the Careers Information Line (CIL) (the 0845 number) and being dealt with by the AFCO, then your application SHOULD be safe as your application was accepted (for processing) under the current regulations, before the change was announced. However, even though the change doesn't come into play until 01 Jan 2011, we (AFCOs) have been instructed to apply the new rules to all those making enquiries as of last week. Just to reiterate, if your application has gone through the CIL and has been passed to the AFCO, then you should be OK. Bear in mind that any pilot applicant who is successful wont start training until 2012. This includes those going through the system now.

The B grade for maths is for GCSE. The subjects taken at 'A' level remain irrelevant as long as a grade C or above is achieved. A degree can be used to offset a deficiency with an 'A' level and sometimes with a GCSE, although this would be the exception and not the rule. It depends heavily on what maths content the degree had. In any case, the details of the degree would passed up to the education specialist at RAFC Cranwell by the AFCO staff for a decision to be made. The AFCO can't, and wont make this call.

As any successful pilot applicants wont start training until 2012, please also bare in mind that no waivers will be issued with regards to age. You still have to be eligible age wise in 2012 ie 25 years and 364 days old or younger on the first day of Initial Officer Training.

Jolly

Applications for the RAF are made via the Careers Information Line (CIL) who, once a position is available for you to apply for, E-mail you the application forms and all other relevant documentation to you.

12th Dec 2010, 15:23
OneFifty,

Thanks for the clarification. I should be ok, gutted about having to wait until 2012 if I'm successful though. Oh well, travelling for a few months maybe :)

Jolly,

More than happy to help. Looks like I was right which is always good. On a personal note, if you have to go to evening class or something in order to get the grades then do it, even if the RAF doesn't work out you have those grades for the rest of your life!

Thanks all,

Melchett01
12th Dec 2010, 15:28
In any case, the details of the degree would passed up to the education specialist at RAFC Cranwell by the AFCO staff for a decision to be made.

Just a question out of interest on that OneFifty - how is the decision on the relevance of academic qualifications actually made?

I only ask because I went through a long time ago, but had a postgrad MSc in Meteorology and Atmospheric Sciences under my belt along with my undergrad degree by the time I applied. A guy I currently work with went through at the same time with 5 years of undergrad and postgrad aero engineering to his name. At the time, we were told we were allowed to apply for enhanced seniority because of our extra qualifications, but in both cases we were initially turned down on the grounds that our qualifications weren't relevant.

We both got the seniority after a bit of a bunfight, but it did rather beg the question as to who makes the decisions, what are the criteria for being relevant or do they just give the papers to the cleaner and get her to flip a coin?

OneFifty
12th Dec 2010, 19:00
Melchett01

Unfortunately, I can't answer that question for you. I do know it has a lot to do with course content but as far as how the decision is made, I do not know.

TheOttersNest
24th Dec 2010, 22:24
Hello just a quick question. Im 16 years old and extremely keen to join the RAF as a pilot. I would be greatly appreciative of anyone who can offer me advice or guidance on how to prepare for the interview (should i know history of the RAF and in how much depth) and also i was wondering is it looked upon better if you have been to uni already or just left from having done A-Levels.

Thank you :ok:

Pontius Navigator
24th Dec 2010, 22:34
Otters, if you read the very recent posts on this thread then you will see that university may be a best option.

Note the temporary stop on pilot recruitment. By the time that is over, you as an 18 year old would be in competition with a 2-year backlog of aspirants. Wait 5 years and things may be more stable.

TheOttersNest
25th Dec 2010, 01:33
Pontius,
Thanks for the help! Well yes looking at it now maybe university is the best option. What I worry about is what to do as my life has literally been a lead up to the moment I apply to the RAF. Yourself being older than the current intake of pilots in the RAF, would you suggest any courses? All I want to do is be in one of the beastly typhoons!!!!! Thanks

P.s Merry Xmas

Aerouk
27th Dec 2010, 10:02
Obviously the science subjects such as Physics, Maths etc. would help but you should do a course that suits yourself, as long as that subject is a decent subject and not the 'History of David Beckham' or some other Mickey Mouse course.

Nothing worse than going to University and studying a course you don't like, I done it myself and it was dreadful but I did complete it.

johnfairr
27th Dec 2010, 11:08
as my life has literally been a lead up to the moment I apply to the RAF.

(should i know history of the RAF and in how much depth)

These two statements do not seem to indicate a burning desire to join the RAF, merely an attraction to

All I want to do is be in one of the beastly typhoons!!!!!

:uhoh:

oli3778
28th Dec 2010, 22:31
Hi OneFifty and others,

I have completed my filter interview and been recommended to OASC (about a month ago).

I am going for Pilot and I am aware that even if successful at OASC my IOT date would not be until 2012.

Approximately how long should I expect to wait to be hear from OASC please?

I have also passed all my aptitude tests in advance as part of a UAS.

Thanks

Melchett01
28th Dec 2010, 23:32
I have also passed all my aptitude tests in advance as part of a UAS.

At the risk of raining on your parade, have you had it confirmed that your pass as part of the UAS is valid and meets the scores required for regular selection?

Only asking as they first introduced the aptitude tests on UASs when I was on Sqn in the mid 90s. We were all shipped of to OASC to have a go and give them some data to help standardise their scores. Back then, you needed a score of 90 to pass for pilot on the UAS, but 110 to pass for selection to regular service as pilot.

Given the reduction in numbers required, the scores needed may change. You might want to check that the scores you got are good for both regular service and UAS flying.

oli3778
29th Dec 2010, 11:29
Thanks for explaining that. I am certain they are valid however, they were only done a few months ago and many others on squadron have done the same and then just done the remaining 3 days of OASC in the future.

I got 147 and you need 112 for Pilot and it was the current test, sat with others doing the full OASC. All other tests were very much in the green too.

Thanks though

muppetofthenorth
29th Dec 2010, 20:34
TheOttersNest, if this was truly a lifelong ambition of yours, you'd have been a member of the Air Training Corps for nearly 3 yrs now.

The First Class syllabus of which involves learning about the History of the RAF and would be engrained upon your mind.

As it is evidently not the case, it is only natural to question your statements.

Melchett01
30th Dec 2010, 00:21
Otter,

I wasn't going to say anything, but frankly, your last post simply serves to highlight your total unsuitability for Commissioned Service in the RAF. Your attitude stinks, and even if you did manage to somehow blag your way past OASC, you would be found out very very quickly once at IOT and in all likelihood be re-coursed at best or chopped at worst for attitude. Whilst OASC and IOT has very definite standards, which are objectively graded against, be under no illusion that every flight commander asks the same question come graduation time: would I want to go and have a beer with this guy? Do not underestimate how much part that very unofficial thought process plays in the final decisions. If you have struggled but are seen to be a decent guy, it could be the one thing tips the decision in your favour. If you have struggled but are seen to be a bit of an arse, well all I can say is I wouldn't want to spend over a year at IOT.

We are an organisation that has a very serious role to play in the defence of the United Kingdom and the pursuit of HM Government policy. That role demands a constant appraisal of how we do - both on a daily basis and on a more personal basis, annually in your appraisals. Much of this appraisal process involves giving and receiving criticism that frankly nobody likes to hear. But we do it because at the end of the day, that criticism could be the difference between operational success or a large smoking hole somewhere and operational failure.

The majority of people who take time to post on this forum are experienced operators who have been on active ops since before you were born. Equally, there are a number of individuals on here who are intimately involved with the recruiting process. You would be well advised to pin your ears back and listen when they speak. Whether you take their advice is another matter.

Now I strongly suggest you go and think about who it is you are dealing with - and asking for help from - on here. If you feel the need to apologise to individuals, take it on the chin and do so. However, if you want to keep ranting at people taking time to give you the benefit of their experience, you will simply continue to come across as a more suitable candidate for a position as the next David Brent - or God forbid - Stuart Baggs 'The Brand'.

Go away, learn a bit of humility and importantly, how to accept constructive criticism and then come back with a new profile and start afresh.

The Old Fat One
30th Dec 2010, 01:06
And also the 1st sylabbus for the first clas ls training is the ranks in the ATC.

Sorry, but you are ineligable for the RAF as English is not your mother tongue.

Pontius Navigator
30th Dec 2010, 08:47
TON has hopefully taken the advice and admonishment to heart and deleted his post.

johnfairr
30th Dec 2010, 10:53
Didn't see the alleged offending post, but had a PM from TON apologising to me. Seems there's hope for him yet! :ok:

gbotley
4th Jan 2011, 22:10
Hello,

I have just had an optometrist look over my eyes and have received the results. I also had her check me for colour blindness with the Ishihara (colour dot test) among others.

The colour blindness test was fine, with category 2.

My left eye has Plano sight but my right eye is -0.25 spherical. According to websites I've seen listing RAF requirements they don't accept anything other than values between Plano and +1.75.

I was told by the Optician that -0.25 is practically true vision and a small imperfection that would not stop me being a pilot.

Anyone know if the RAF have denied anyone, or yourself based on this slight imperfection?

The role I'm applying for is a Pilot by the way.

Thanks in advance,

George.

Postman Plod
4th Jan 2011, 22:25
Though it may suck somewhat if you're the one with the very very slight eyesight problem, it is very much a buyers market George - if the RAF want perfect vision, they'll get hundreds of applicants who meet the standard, without even having to consider people who may make fine pilots, but have a vision defficiency no matter how small....

gbotley
4th Jan 2011, 22:38
:(

Yes I see where you are coming from, they can afford to choose I suppose but think it would be a case of whether they pass it.

Is there any other charts for say, after 2007.? I have heard they have relaxed the rules slightly inline with the Navy/Army pilots.

George.

PotentialPilot
4th Jan 2011, 22:43
In all fairness to your queries,

This is not the place, it's a Pro Pilots rumour network.
Try something like E-goat, AARSE type them into google. Look around a few forums where everyone is in the same boat.

Threads like these are often started and don't end with a decent conclusion

gbotley
4th Jan 2011, 22:45
Thanks for the advice.

muppetofthenorth
4th Jan 2011, 22:45
If you want an answer, apply. The only people who are qualified to give the say so are OASC's optometrists.

Just because the standards were brought into line with the FAA's, it doesn't mean they'll take you if they get another 100 applicants who have better eyes than you.

Airborne Aircrew
5th Jan 2011, 01:06
Try something like E-goat, AARSE type them into google.

PotentialPilot:

You are joking, right???

The Mil forum on PPRuNe is a lesser source of information than E-Goat and ArRSe for a potential military pilot???

There's a reason you will always remain "potential"... :ugh:

Admin_Guru
5th Jan 2011, 05:11
The RAF are aware that wholey suitable pilot candidates have in the past been lost due to eyesight standards of expectation. They are also aware that most aircrew beyond age 40 wear spectacles without any deteriation of operational capability.

I am not an OASC Staff Officer and therefore do not have a finger on this particular pulse, but I was in a meeting in which the Chief of the Air Staff stated that aircrew eyesight issues were under review and that it was hoped that the outcome would be that the 'best man for the job' would get the job even if that meant entering into flying training wearing spectacles.

Therefore one can reasonably deduce that entry standards are fluid; can and do change. The bottom line is for all potential recruits to go to OASC and give 100% in all aspects of the selection process. It is impossible for you to self criticise, and you may well have done well in an interview that you perceive as the nightmare from hell. The medical aspects are objective and you will either pass or fail: simples.

letsgoandfly
8th Jan 2011, 15:12
Hi! Hopefully I can get some advice please, my brother wants to join as an Officer as he wanted to join as NCA but hasn't got maths B and has been told by AFCO that they're not recruting at the moment anyway. He's now looking at RAFP or Regt Offr but, whilst he's got the 5 GCSEs C>, he only has 1 A-level above a C, the other A-level is a D. He's got a music production degree at 2.1 however if it's worth anything.

Will he be wasting his time as the careers website specifically says 2 A-levels C> and doesn't mention degrees counting for much in those branches? I'm currently NCA and he's wanted to join for years but kept putting it off - it would be a shame if he'd missed the chance so any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks, L

OneFifty
8th Jan 2011, 16:53
Letsgoandfly

He should be ok, the degree can be used to offset the A level deficiency. It can't be used to offset GCSEs, but can for A levels. Get him to ask the AFCO to double check with the education specialist at Cranwell.

letsgoandfly
9th Jan 2011, 08:03
Thanks OneFifty, the message has been passed on and he will investigate next week. Thanks again, L

Smegward
11th Jan 2011, 12:55
Afternoon all,
Just wondering if anyone in this forum has been to OASC recently since I was curious as to whether the process has changed much since i last went 2 and a half years ago. Also does anyone have any idea when they'll be looking for personnel support officers? Practically chomping at the bit here waiting to get the ball rolling with the application (I have registered for the forms through the telephone service).

Thanks in advance!

Herc-u-lease
11th Jan 2011, 13:49
I must have had my head in the sand when they announced Admin Os were to be renamed "Personnel Support Officer"

Even as a serving officer, I hadn't realized just how much some of the trades had changed i.e. Aerospace Battle manager!? Aerospace Systems Operator - I'm guessing that's the old AATC?

Back in my day....grumble...whine

Pontius Navigator
11th Jan 2011, 15:12
Even as a serving officer, I hadn't realized just how much some of the trades had changed i.e. Aerospace Battle manager!? Aerospace Systems Operator - I'm guessing that's the old AATC?

Back in my day....grumble...whine

ABM I will give you but ASOps were around when you were still in shorts :}

Herc-u-lease
11th Jan 2011, 15:27
I'd never heard of the ASOPs trade. I assumed it was a new variant of Assistant Air Traffic. Either shows my ignorance or the lack of visibility this trade gets on the dirty end of the RAF :)

Pontius Navigator
11th Jan 2011, 16:20
Herc, very true. Unless you were associated with the trade you would never know. The majority lived as troglodites on the east coast and thought working at Waddo in buildings with windows was the bees knees.

OASC
13th Jan 2011, 09:18
In the next 2 submissions we will cover details of the Potential Regiment Officers Course (PROC); success on the Course is a pre-requisite to be further considered for selection into the RAF Regiment as an officer. The first submission will cover an overview of why the PROC is conducted and the Physical Fitness Assessments. The second submission will look at the presentations and interview.

Potential Regiment Officers Course (PROC) - Part 1 of 2

What is the PROC?

The purpose of the PROC is to assess whether you have the motivation for the RAF Regiment and the potential for training on the Junior Regiment Officers’ Course (JROC). It will also allow you to have a closer look at the Regiment and decide if it is a suitable career path for you. A positive recommendation from the PROC is an essential pre-requisite for anyone seeking selection for a commission in the RAF Regiment.

If the RAF Regiment is your primary branch choice and you pass your filter interview, the AFCO will arrange a date for you to attend a PROC at RAF Honington. In most cases this will be prior to your visit to OASC. If the RAF Regiment is not your primary branch choice and you pass your filter interview, you will be called forward to OASC for selection for your all your branch choices. If you are unsuccessful for your primary choice(s) and still wish to be considered for RAF Regiment, a PROC will then be booked for you by OASC if it is considered you have shown enough potential for training.

How Do We Assess You on the PROC?

During the PROC your suitability for the RAF Regiment will be assessed in a number of areas:

Physical Fitness

Excellent Physical Fitness is essential to be a Regiment Officer. The first hurdle you will face on the PROC is the RAF Fitness Test (RAFFT). This consists of three elements; a Multi-Stage Fitness Test (bleep test), one minute of press-ups, one minute of sit-ups. Regardless of age, you must meet the minimum standard for an 18 year old male. Further details of the RAFFT can be found on the RAF Careers website. However, due to the high physical demands of RAF Regiment officer training and beyond, PROC candidates require levels of physical robustness and determination beyond those tested in the RAFFT. Therefore, while on the PROC, you will undertake several other physical assessments to determine if you have what it takes:

(1) A swimming assessment – this will involve showing that you are capable of swimming 4 lengths and treading water for 4 minutes.

(2) A five mile run in boots – this will be conducted as a squad as a run/walk in 2 legs, with a Physical Training Instructor (PTI) setting the pace. You will pass the test as long as you maintain a pace of around 9 minutes per mile and stay in formation.

(3) An Assault Course – you will complete a timed circuit, after receiving detailed instructions and demonstrations from a PTI. You must complete the course within the briefed time of just over 5 minutes. Significantly you must also show that you can successfully get over a 9ft wall unassisted.

(4) A 3 mile run in sports kit and trainers – this is undertaken in 2 stages. An outward 1½ mile run as a squad with the pace set by a PTI (≈ 8 min/mile pace) then, following a very short water break, a return leg of 1½ miles at your own best effort pace. You must complete this return leg in less than 10 minutes 30 seconds (minimum 7 min/mile pace).

(5) A battle fitness session called “Skirmish” – this is purely and simply a test of your determination in physical activities that are designed to replicate battlefield conditions. There is no minimum level or time that you are required to achieve but it is very demanding physically. You will pass providing that you don’t voluntarily remove yourself from the session.

Please note that, although OASC will endeavour to answer generic questions that arise, we will not be engaging or commenting on individual cases. In those cases, the individual is advised to contact their nearest AFCO who will be able to deal with any queries. All information published is for information only. Information regarding a career in the RAF can be found at http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers (http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers)

OASC
13th Jan 2011, 13:00
Potential Regiment Officers Course (PROC) - Part 2 of 2

How Do We Assess You on the PROC? (cont)

Group Presentations

The ability to communicate confidently is a key skill required by all RAF Regiment officers. Therefore, your presence, confidence and bearing are assessed during a ten minute presentation. This presentation is prepared and delivered in groups and the topics are sent out with your joining instructions to enable you to undertake pre-course research.

Low Ropes Exercises

Teamwork, communication and leadership are key components for all aspiring RAF Regiment Officers. To assess your potential in these attributes, you will be given a variety of team tasks to complete on a Low Ropes course.

Interview

The final element of the course is an interview with an assessing officer. Your knowledge and motivation for joining the RAF Regiment will be explored. If you have been unsuccessful at any stage of the course you will be debriefed and the assessing officer will provide feedback on your performance, suggesting areas for you to improve before attempting the course again.

What Do We Present to You About the RAF Regiment?

The PROC also aims to give you enough information about the Branch for you to make an informed decision about whether it is the right career path for you at an early stage of the selection process. We make no bones about the fact that training to become an RAF Regiment Officer is extremely demanding both physically and mentally. You will only succeed if you are committed to Regiment as a career; it is in nobody’s interest to discover that it is not for you once you have started training. Therefore to develop candidates’ understanding of the RAF Regiment, as well as the process that lies ahead if you are successful on the PROC, there are a number of presentations that will be given to you between the assessed elements of the course. This is a great opportunity for you to look more closely at the RAF Regiment and (hopefully) confirm that this is the career for you. These presentations include:

(1) RAF Regiment. This will tell you about the capabilities of the RAF Regiment, and its role in current operations. This will also cover the career opportunities for officers within the RAF Regiment.

(2) Junior Regiment Officers Course (JROC). Delivered by current staff members, this will include the details of JROC and what to expect during your training with them.

(3) Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre (OASC). For those that pass the PROC, the next stage will be to undergo selection at OASC, RAFC Cranwell. An Officer from an Armed Forces Careers Office (AFCO) will be on hand to deliver a presentation on the selection process and will also be available for you to ask any questions that you may have on the process.

(4) Initial Officer Training (IOT). This is a closed forum discussion in which a newly graduated officer will talk frankly about IOT and answer any questions you might have.

(5) Current Weapon Systems. The weapons systems currently employed by the RAF Regiment will be displayed. This will allow you to familiarise yourself with the dismounted close combat weapons systems you would learn to use whilst on JROC.

(6) Officers’ Mess Tour. On one evening, PROC candidates will receive an introduction to, and a tour of, the Officers’ Mess. This is where officers from RAF Honington live, eat and socialise. Current serving officers from the station, including some undergoing JROC if they are available, will be in attendance to answer any questions you may have.

Please note that, although OASC will endeavour to answer generic questions that arise, we will not be engaging or commenting on individual cases. In those cases, the individual is advised to contact their nearest AFCO who will be able to deal with any queries. All information published is for information only. Information regarding a career in the RAF can be found at http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers (http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers)

PBI
14th Jan 2011, 11:31
Afternoon all,

That's me done playing around in the sand, and now Im back trying to get in as a WSOp. I recieved an email when I was two months shy of my tour finishing, but my recruiter at the AFCO told me to leave filling it in till I got back, now I'm back and obviously the trade is closed.

Im aware there are a few who work in recruiting/OASC who peruse this site, so my question is if anyone is able to give a rough timeframe for WSOp trade to open for recruiting again?

Many thanks.

(edited for fat, ape like, fingers.)

PBI
14th Jan 2011, 13:07
Judging by the "Pipeline Clogged" thread, I'm picking a sparkling time to join up!Really wish I'd ignored the AFCO and sent that application off in September!

OneFifty
14th Jan 2011, 15:30
PBI

The latest regarding WSOp is that we won't be recruiting for the role for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately, I can't give you anything more specific than that. Remember, when it does open again, you'll need to have GCSE maths at grade B or above to apply.

Applying in September wouldn't have made any difference I'm afraid; we (the AFCOs) had to withdraw a lot of WSOp applicants during their application phase as there were no jobs for them. Even some who were in phase one training found themselves without a job...

PBI
15th Jan 2011, 11:44
OneFifty

Thanks for the swift response, it was as I expected.Looks like I have some serious thinking to do.

PBI

TheOttersNest
18th Jan 2011, 22:08
being 0.25 short sighted will selection for pilot still be realistic or is it a no? apologies if repeating someone!

Regards,
TON :ok:

Herc-u-lease
19th Jan 2011, 00:37
TON,

Have a look at page 22 of this thread, post #436 onwards. Only the OASC medics can decide. However, with cutbacks/competition as it is I'd keep your options open.

H-u-L

OASC
19th Jan 2011, 09:00
CHANGE IN ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTRY TO RAF IN APTITUDE RELATED BRANCHES AND AS OFFICERS.

The academic requirements for selection at OASC have recently been raised in 2 areas:

GCSE Mathematics for Aptitude Based Branches

All applicants for aptitude based branches are required to have achieved GCSE Mathematics Grade B, or equivalent.

Evidence shows that the likelihood of success in the numerical elements of the aptitude tests correlates strongly with achievement at Maths GCSE or equivalent: those that achieve Grade C generally fail to achieve the required standard in the aptitude tests – hence the numeracy requirement has been raised. In setting this standard, we are also aware that those taking the foundation level GCSE Maths will be unable to achieve the Grade B requirement, as this can only be reached through the Higher Tier syllabus.

In the context of the Scottish Standard Certificate in Education, the minimum standard is a Grade 2 in the Standard Grade Credit examinations.

Officer Entry – A-Level Requirement

The previous academic standard for entry to commissioned service was 2 A2-Levels at Grades A-E; this has now been raised to 2 A2-Levels at Grades A-C or equivalent. Whilst it could be argued that a Grade B and a Grade D should be aggregated together to equate the same level of achievement, our view is that this demonstrates an academic weakness in not achieving the Grade C minimum standard in each subject.

It has been noticed that those with A2 results at Grade D or below struggle with the analytical skills required of an officer. However, the majority of the population taking A-Levels achieve Grades C or above, and so that is the portion of the population we seek to recruit from, as this is expected to reduce the amount of additional instruction required to reach acceptable standards in training.

Smegward
25th Jan 2011, 13:04
Looks like i'm going to have to withdraw my application then. Only got an A and a D at A2. Going to have to get myself on a night course for a year or 2 then to get a C or above. First the medical 3-4 years ago and now the qualifications rules change just as I become medically eligable again! Oh well, just another hurdle I suppose!

TheSkywayMan
25th Jan 2011, 15:03
I was wondering what the situation is at the moment with regards to a pilot application. I went through OASC in October 2010. Understandably everything is up in the air at the moment (pardon the pun), but when I went through it was a case of the April 2010 - April 2011 slots had all been filled and they were recruiting for April 2011 - April 2012. At the time it was mentioned there was roughly 146 places available for the next financial year, but with all the cuts is this still the case?

This thread seems to be dying a slow death, but hopefully it can be revived one last time? Any information would be helpful.

camelspyyder
25th Jan 2011, 15:10
On a variety of other threads, not to mention official briefings at work, There is currently a surplus of 200 pilot trainees in the system already.(and another 300 that we actually need)

Go figure.

CS

TheSkywayMan
25th Jan 2011, 15:32
A very gloomy picture painted indeed. But as expected. It seems to be IFT that is backing everything up. Not getting the courses. A few friends have been waiting up to 6 months after IOT to get on a course.

Well I'm going to stick with the old saying "No news is good news". I can only keep my fingers crossed now.

Pontius Navigator
25th Jan 2011, 16:02
TSM, if you are not at IOT then there is no good news. Do read the rest of the briefs. The information is very positive (ie not rumour) and there will be no new pilots in to training before Jul 12.

The age cutoff remains 25-11+ so you are still in with a chance but you will be in competition with many more applicants for the first course.

As you don't seem to have read up about the training pipeline, did you hoist on board the revised educational requirements?

OneFifty
25th Jan 2011, 17:23
Smegward

If you do not have 2 A levels at grade C or above, I am amazed you haven't received a letter informing you that your application is closed. You should check with your AFCO, I am certain they will confirm that your application has already been terminated as the instruction was received be AFCOs before Christmas. This forum was informed by me at that time, later confirmed by the posts by OASC.

Sorry, but that is the harsh reality of the current situation.

OneFifty

TheSkywayMan
25th Jan 2011, 23:48
Thanks again for your response PN. I did spot the educational requirements, and after my costly abbreviation error (EFT by the way), I am good to go. Thought I'd have another browse of the thread but after looking through again i'm not sure I spotted any relevant comments regarding pilot selection. Your post number 385 refers to WSOp, but I thought there might be some more specific information for Pilot.

Anyway reading through all the posts it sounds as though its a question of waiting. From a management point of view, if I were in OASCs position, i'd be doing the exact same thing. Plenty of applicants, not enough places, and everyone willing to wait as long as it takes.

Has anyone been accepted outright in the last few months? That would be a question i'd like the answer to? I've heard on the grape vine its a score of 140'ish in the aptitudes (obviously with everything else in your favour too) to be in with a chance at the moment.

Pontius Navigator
26th Jan 2011, 07:29
TSM, look at Training Pipeline Clogged for a really depressing view.

26th Jan 2011, 07:51
TSM,

At the moment a score of 125 on the aptitude is considered competitive. To clarify, anyone scoring less than 125 is told not to expect any further progression, an uncharacteristicly kind way of saying their application is 99% likely to be terminated.

However, I'd hazard that any less than 130-135 probably doesn't set you up very well.

As with all things RAF it all depends. Lets say you scored 126 aptitude, but filter was brilliant and you got on well at OASC. You would probably do better than someone who scored 155 aptitude but who had the social skills of a dead salmon.

It all depends, and there is absolutely no point in trying to second guess what's going on or what your chances are mate, a lot of us are in the same (possibly sinking, or built and then just kept as a £3bn paperweight) boat.

Sit tight and wait it out would be my advice. :cool:

Edit: Further advice would be to not expect any physical movement until 2012.

Pontius Navigator
26th Jan 2011, 08:41
To add 4015's sound advice, use the time to make yourself more competitive.

A number of years ago we had a young woman from one of the High Street Banks who thought she would like a career change to Fighter Control. She organised her own tour to Waddo and the Radar Sites. She was so impressive that we considered she should have been recruited immediately.

I don't know if we measured up to her requirements.

Look to things that will improve your fitness, your leadership skills, inter-personal skills etc etc

guitarwillie
29th Jan 2011, 17:20
Hi

I went through OASC at the end of November for Pilot, and was then placed under further consideration, to be reviewed in Jan 2011. I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm starting to read rumors and hear that Pilots in training are starting to loose their jobs, so what hope is there for me? I have also heard that Pilot Recruitment would be frozen until 2013. Does that mean I could be offered a place for 2013, or would it be a case of reapplying in 2 years time?

Cheers

GW

OneFifty
29th Jan 2011, 22:42
Frozen? 2013? Have you read any of the recent posts on this thread??!

guitarwillie
29th Jan 2011, 23:24
Sorry OneFifty, only just seen the above posts!

Thanks

GW

lpmunroh43
1st Feb 2011, 09:01
To all you young people hoping for a flying career in today's RAF. The doom and gloom of the current defence cut-backs is obviously having an effect on your potential flying careers.

However, while you're waiting, and it might be a lengthy wait or even never, have you thought about contacting your local Air Training Corps squadron or Wing HQ and asking if they need and adult assistance ?

They could be looking for officers, which means you could apply for a commission in the RAFVR(T) branch. Not for the faint hearted because it involves pitching up for duty after the normal working day a couple of times a week and often at weekends, plus various courses and cadet camps from time to time.

Initial officer training following successful selection is carried our at RAF Cranwell, giving you the chance to pick the brains of the regular officer cadets while learning at least the basics of life as an RAF officer. It would also look good on your CV should OACS at a later date give you a call.

I did exactly that in reverse following a 24 year career as an RAF armourer. At the age of 45 I became a very new, shiney Plt. Off. and six months later took command of one of the overseas squadrons of the ATC in Germany (Cold War Warrior) later becoming a Wing Staff Officer with added responsibilities.

From your point of view as young men with ambitions to serve in today's RAF, a little extra on your CV could be a great help. A DofE award, voluntary service as mentioned, it all shows motivation and adaptability beyond the educational qualifications required. During my 11 years service as an RAFVR(T) officer I knew of several incidences where a number of the younger officers successfully transfered to regular commissions.

As a Wing Staff Officer, I chaired a number of application boards for VR(T) commissions. Interviewing younger men and women, the board always looked for something beyond the applicants basic reason for applying. In this instance, what had he or she to offer a youth organisation beyond looking spick and span in uniform.

Just a thought from one of the ancient and tattered airmen on this site.

airskilled
7th Feb 2011, 18:14
Dear Posters,

I see that most of the previous posts are with regards to mostly RAF and some RN aircrew roles.

I am indeed interested in flying in the British Army. Could anybody here give some scope whether the Army Air Corps have been affected by the SDSR? I have heard from some reliable sources that the AAC have in fact not been affected as the output of pilots on courses at Shawbury or/and Middle Wallop have not changed.

Thank you for your responses in advanced.

With Kind Regards,

AS

OASC
8th Feb 2011, 09:04
In this submission we will outline a revision to the new selection process employed at the OASC.

In essence, the sequence of the selection process remains unchanged. However, due to the increase in length of the aptitude batteries, flexibility was unavailable within the programme to encompass the extra time taken by candidates undergoing aptitude testing; therefore a decision was taken to separate aptitude testing from the remainder of the selection process. Consequently, a candidate applying for an aptitude branch might need to visit the OASC twice, as follows:

Aptitude Phase: Candidates who are applying for one or more aptitude based branches, and have passed an AFCO P2 filter interview, (and AST Band F or E if applying for WSOp or DE SNCO ATC) will be invited to attend the OASC to sit the Computer Based Aptitude Tests. Those who are unsuccessful in the tests for their branch choices, and are only applying for aptitude based branches will be filtered out at this stage; however, candidates may retake the tests after a minimum of 12 months has elapsed. Those who pass the aptitude tests for one or more of their branch choices might be called forward to return to the OASC to undergo the Exercise Phase, if they are deemed competitive.

Exercise and Interview Phase: On the first day, candidates will complete all elements of the Exercise Phase: Discussion, Group Planning, Leaderless, Command Situation and Individual Planning as outlined in OASC PPRuNe Submissions 11-14. Early on the second day, candidates will be informed whether they will be continuing in the selection process. Those who have demonstrated enough potential for training at this stage will be invited to stay to complete their Interview, Medical and Selection Fitness Test on the second day. The remainder, who have not met the required standard, will be given a one-on-one review by the Board President to explain to them where they fell short of the required standard and how they can improve, if they chose to re-apply.

Candidates who complete the full process will be informed by letter within a few weeks of their selection visit informing them of the outcome.

In sum, for candidates aspiring to a career in only one or more aptitude based branches, a competitive performance in one or more of their branch choices might lead to them being recalled to the OASC to complete the selection process; therefore, for these candidates, 2 visits to the OASC might be required. For those seeking selection only to non-aptitude based branches, a single visit only is required – because aptitude testing is not necessary. For those with both aptitude based branches and non-aptitude based branches, a lack of competitiveness in the aptitude tests might still lead to them being recalled to complete the selection process for one or more of their non-aptitude based choices.

Lunters91
14th Feb 2011, 01:33
Good evening gents,

I'm in the process of applying to the RAF as an officer. In my younger days I received a police caution for criminal damage. It was a stupid thing to do, and of course I've regretted it ever since.

I want to be as honest as is necessary throughout my application, but am querying whether I will have to declare a caution on my paperwork. I understand one must declare unspent convictions, but for most branches you don't have to declare spent convictions. However, I'm in the dark about a caution, since it's not technically a conviction. Furthermore, if I was to declare the caution, would it serve as a potential 'disqualifier' in the application process? I was just seeking some advice on that matter really.

I don't mean to be rude (far from it), but I'd prefer it if people don't comment just to say "You don't deserve to be accepted" etc. I know what I did was totally wrong, and if that costs me my intended career, so be it.

I thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

Regards,

L91

giggitygiggity
14th Feb 2011, 04:26
Fair question and brave of you to post. I think I could answer it, but am not 100% sure so you had better leave it to the professionals so my wrong answer doesn't cock up your future.

Copy it as a new post at the end of the Military Aircrew forum sticky "OASC candidates read here" and someone will probably be able to answer you better.

Good luck with it.

Legalapproach
14th Feb 2011, 05:14
As you state, a caution is not a conviction. There are currently effectively two types of caution, a conditional caution and a 'simple' caution.

A conditional caution (providing the conditions are complied with and there is no subsequent prosecution for the offence) becomes spent three months after it is given and all other cautions become spent when they are given.

As conditional cautions are a relatively recent invention I suspect that you received a simple caution and this became spent the moment you received it. The caution would remain on your record and had you committed a further offence within a period of two years the fact of the caution could have been used in deciding whether or not to prosecute.

If the form indicates that you do not need to disclose spent convictions you will not need to disclose a spent caution.

OneFifty
14th Feb 2011, 05:25
In order to give you an accurate answer, I need to know the following:

- What branch you are applying for
- how long ago it happened
- how old you were when you did it.

Feel free to pm me if you'd prefer.

OneFifty.

Mr C Hinecap
14th Feb 2011, 07:48
I don't think he is that hard over for the medal winning and innocent-protecting:

http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/374048-kenya-airways-ab-initio-pilot-recruitment-32.html#post6244439

Captain Doc1
14th Feb 2011, 11:01
H,no matter how bad I want this I must also think of the future and naturally commercial aviation is nice after airforce,wouldn't you say so?Pointus how do I get a residency,any suggestion?I would give up anything to be in an F17 fighting a just war and protecting the innocent and Im 24 already.Is it so wrong to want something you would do anything to achieve?just because I applied for the KQ initio programme,which beleive me is the closest people like me get to having a chance to fly anything in kenya! doesn't mean I dont wana be a soldier to protect and serve in honour whenever duty calls and my intervention is required to bring justice to the ostracized people of the world.God bless you all.

camelspyyder
14th Feb 2011, 12:36
8000 posts between you and you're still replying to a tokoloshe...

CS:)

PS. an african troll since you asked.

Captain Doc1
14th Feb 2011, 16:04
Im I the tokoloshe? Is it meant to be an insult? i take no offence...

Captain Doc1
14th Feb 2011, 20:25
thanks pontius for your candid post..it was worth the shot anyway,my math is universal I believe and I heard of the french foreign legion minutes ago so I guess the sky's just the begining..goodluck to all army men and women out there who conquer the skies!

15th Feb 2011, 07:47
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/7548/944164-troll_obvious_super.jpg

Mods, feel free to remove but I felt this was quite relevant.

15th Feb 2011, 10:54
I was erring on taking your opinion and agree he may well just be "off the wall". After the last couple of posts (altering levels of English language skills, sheer fickleness) I decided he is trolling nonetheless, intentional or not. :suspect:

And bearing in mind that location is user defined, I could set my location to the moon if I so desired, I take no evidence from that.

Seeing as we'll never know, I'll shush myself now though to avoid this thread veering off on a tangent :cool:

Cesc_
15th Feb 2011, 15:52
After the recent news of the latest cuts to hit the RAF, how do you see recuirtment of pilots looking for say mid-late 2012.

T2Tennant
16th Feb 2011, 08:43
APPLICATIONS for new pilots in the RAF are still being taken, despite reports that up to 50 trainees face the axe at a local air base. (http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/news/Trainee-pilots-free-sign-despite-50-facing-axe-county/article-3222685-detail/article.html)

They are still accepting applications now and are putting those who have recently applied through the selection process. If they can afford to do this now, I see no reason why they wouldn't continue to so in 2011/2012. You really are going to have to be the best of the best though, even though they are still recruiting, the number of vacancies available is sure to drop, don't take my word for it though, I'm no expert.

Let's just hope this story is true, I've wanted to join the RAF for a long time and have worked hard to prepare myself for the selection process, it would be a real dissapointment to be turned away before I even get a shot due to cuts.

Good luck to you in the future :)

camelspyyder
17th Feb 2011, 09:15
Wednesday's brief from 22 Gp (Training) does not agree with this press story. It clearly states:

"Recruitment at AFCO's for student pilots has ceased until further notice and pilots will not be recruited again until April 2012"

CS

Morris542
27th Feb 2011, 16:26
"Recruitment at AFCO's for student pilots has ceased until further notice and pilots will not be recruited again until April 2012"
They are still accepting applications now and are putting those who have recently applied through the selection process

The picture I'm getting is simply one that people can APPLY, however they will not be able JOIN until April 2012. I find it hard to believe applications for pilots are not being accepted at all. For those applying for bursaries and sponsorship they are selected well before they attend IOT.

Aerouk
28th Feb 2011, 12:40
I was told, not by the RAF, but by one of the other services that they wouldn't be looking at any applications for aircrew until Summer 2012.

Ramp Monkey
3rd Mar 2011, 10:29
All RAF Aircrew recruiting now ceased until at least 2013,

Jamesandpie
8th Mar 2011, 20:42
Contrary to all this rumour I have just received my letter to attend OASC at the beginning of April. Applied solely for pilot and have not heard otherwise that the branch has been closed, so shall still be turning up on the date to give it a shot!

Craglyboy
9th Mar 2011, 02:02
That may be because you started your application before all this came out. I went to OASC in jan and passed the apptitude was told it would be anything up to 9 months for the next visit to do leadership exercises etc.

muppetofthenorth
9th Mar 2011, 02:07
They're still likely to accept people through the AFCO and possibly up to OASC, but the numbers being let through will be tiny and anyone who is successful will have to wait a few years before starting.

Those looking at scholarships/post-university entry should still be in luck.

Nb: the above is all conjecture and educated guess-work.

T2Tennant
10th Mar 2011, 08:50
It is looking more and more unlikely that I will be able to apply for aircrew anytime soon, but I managed to get a set of pretty good 'A' level results last year so university is definately an option for me (I didn't go to university last year so I COULD join the RAF earlier this year, figures?). So if anyone has joined the RAF after going to uni, please let me know what trade you went in for and how it worked out.

MC19
11th Mar 2011, 15:34
That may be because you started your application before all this came out. I went to OASC in jan and passed the apptitude was told it would be anything up to 9 months for the next visit to do leadership exercises etc. Congrats for passing! I passed aptitude in January too, and was told 9 month wait, however I then received a letter claiming it would be no more than 6 months. Recently got an e-mail offering me a 'Potential Officer Visit' to Brize Norton too!

I'm just hoping there will still be some aircraft left if I do get in! :ugh:

Jamesandpie
11th Mar 2011, 17:14
Yes well done to both of you for getting through. Can you remember what scores you both got for pilot? As I mentioned I'm going down for the aptitude at the beginning of April also, and have asked them for some indication how long it would be until going back for the second phase but they said they don't know.
Been through all of OASC a couple of years ago and was offered a uni bursury, but then had it taken away due to medical grounds a few months later. I've managed to appeal it and have subsequently been cleared fit by them now, but need to go through the whole procedure again.

MC19 when did they tell you it would be no longer than 6 months? Is that pretty recent news?

MC19
12th Mar 2011, 16:40
I got 139. I received the letter about 2 weeks after I took the test! I'm not sure whether to trust it or not though.
Sorry to hear about the medical mate, good luck for April though!