PDA

View Full Version : Adding a SEP(A) to an ATPL(H)

bluelearjetdriver
16th Mar 2009, 18:33
Hi Folks,

Here's an interesting one. Any guidance as to where I can get a definitive answer would be HUGLEY appreciated, so this is my situation:

My "student" has a current CAA ATPL(H) with about a zillion hours in his log book and wants to add a SEP(A) to his license to humour his son who flies the A-Bus.

This is what I have discovered so far using LASORS, but I still do not have what can be considered a definitive answer to my question (which will appear at the end of this post):

1) He can credit 10hrs of his rotary time towards SEP issue
2) He needs to complete 35hrs flight training with a min. 20hrs dual and 15hrs solo
3) He needs to complete PPL(A) skill test
4) He will need to do the write the AGK/POF and Flight Planning/Performance examination
5) He needs to complete the 270km nav exercise with 2 landings as per the PPL course

So here are my questions:
a) He has Chipmunk time in his log book from his days in the RAF, which was a fair while ago . Can he be credited with them?
b) With regards to points 1 through 5 above, are they all correct and have I missed anything?

Any LASOR references would also be appreciated.

Why, oh why do I always end up with the complicated ones!!!!! :}

airborne_artist
16th Mar 2009, 19:33
Was he a Qualified Service Pilot? Sounds like he was. He should be able to get an NPPL SSEA without much effort:

From here (http://www.nppl.uk.com/documents/NPPLXCREV08_000.pdf):

"A QSP who has not been current on any military aircraft in the 5 year period preceding the date of application for licence issue shall be credited the requirement to pass the NPPL NST. The applicant shall undergo a course of training on single-engine piston aeroplanes as specified* by a FI(A) before passing the NPPL GST in a SSEA."

* This could be as little as two or three hours if the FI is happy.