View Full Version : Virgin Australia - Wannabes & Recruitment

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

skychild
26th Feb 2008, 01:24
Hey all,

V Australia are now recruiting their cabin crew. Does anyone have any information on conditions or pay for cabin crew, cabin leader or Flight manager positions?

Goodluck to all applying :ok:

wirgin blew
27th Feb 2008, 09:46
Nothing yet. You will have to apply in faith that it will be ok. I would expect it to be similar to the Part B scale of QF EBA 8 since that is the competition.

wellcome_
29th Feb 2008, 03:15
Is anyone else attending the group interviews in Melbourne? Or has anyone attended these interviews in the past? I would love some insider information about what to expect!!

wirgin blew
4th Mar 2008, 08:24
28 day rosters
Minimum 9 days off per roster
42 days annual leave
90 minute call out for standby duty

That is what is on the internal site. There isn't anything else at the moment so like I said before you will have to jump through the hoops before you find out what the pay will be like.

Considering the competition has just had their EBA signed off I wouldn't expect V-Oz to pay any more than what QCCA is offering.

Mr Seatback 2
11th Mar 2008, 08:24
Since applications closed today for the various roles, might be an idea to keep each other clued in on all the interview happenings, pay & conditions gossip, etc.

I don't want this thread to degrade into a slanging match. Let's keep it clean people!

Don't know if anyone has got interview slots, or where they're interviewing first, etc. Any news/goss?

I Just Want To Fly
12th Mar 2008, 11:27
Just had my phone interview for Cabin Leader. Lady I spoke to was very nice, they are interviewing Flight Managers and Cabin Leaders until tomorrow, then starting with Cabin Crew after that. Obviously they have received thousands of applications, but looks like most people with flying experience will get an interview.

Interviews for all ranks in DXB in the first week, followed by SYD, BNE, MEL & AKL throughout April.

Good luck to everyone!

OzyOS
12th Mar 2008, 11:44
Fantastic that they have started the phone interviews! Cant wait to see how its all going to pan out!

Cheers

darawadee
13th Mar 2008, 04:10
I just got the phone interview for Cabin Crew today. It was very short interview though,the guy who I spoke to was asking me generally not complicated. Actually,I just send my application yesterday which I didn't expect to get the quick response. I'm not sure what is the next process will be. Just have to wait!!

sebby
13th Mar 2008, 08:20
I would give it a week or two before you get concerned and give up. Many phone calls to be made im sure and more than 2 days may be required to make them!

futureflier
14th Mar 2008, 03:10
Since they're going to be starting up with limited numbers of crew, do you think they'll recruit anyone with no flying experience??

apparently
14th Mar 2008, 11:27
I was told by V recruitment that after your phone interview you will be notified via e-mail for an invite to the assessment days. There are some assessment days for SYD coming up early April.

It's really quite hit and miss whether people are available to answer their phones when the recruiters call. Those who have missed the call, I am sure that you will be contacted again!!!!

I hope lots of others receive "the call" and good luck!

sebby
14th Mar 2008, 11:40
Yeah, good for you Mr Seatback and good luck.

I was really just asking as I was curious if they were still phoning for Manager/supervisory roles or were calling Cabin Crew applicants yet, if they do.

I have a feeling the bulk of experienced crew will make up the Senior roles and a mix of experienced and newbies will take Cabin Crew positions. Have I just stated the obvious, I think so.. :O

sebby
14th Mar 2008, 22:45
Australian carriers rarely do as they look for long term employees and usually have an abundance of people putting their hand up for Cabin Crew positions.

On the recruitment website there is an email address, they say there may be a delay in a response but it probably wont hurt to ask.

futureflier
15th Mar 2008, 00:43
Have they started calling for cabin crew yet or is it just cabin leaders and managers??
i've applied to both V Australia and Virgin Blue so I'm hoping I get at least a call from one!! .. I've been working in hotels for the past 4 years I need a change!

skychild
15th Mar 2008, 01:10
I missed the call yesterday from them re Flight Manager application.

I checked my email and they had sent one saying they had tried to call and to contact them when Im available to call on the the number they supplied.

Very professional I thought.

Mr Seatback 2
16th Mar 2008, 02:06
They said it would be 8th and/or 9th April...that's for Flight Managers, but not sure if they're doing the other categories at the same time. That's Sydney interviews - not sure if they're doing anywhere else this month, other than Dubai and Auckland (according to the website).

futureflier
16th Mar 2008, 08:28
I too noticed that the application has gone from closed back to active again. I just don't quite know whether to take it as a good or bad sign!

AirborneSoon
16th Mar 2008, 08:36
Take it as neither, it could be something as simple as an internal admin process that has no bearing on the consideration of your application. Remember they've updated the application form as well and made other small admin changes. So until your hear it's a definate no, hold positive expectations. :ok:

transcontinentalcc
17th Mar 2008, 09:46
I think it's great that V Australia has worked so fast with external applicants, interviews for internal candidates are scheduled right up until August!

laloopa
18th Mar 2008, 06:18
I know it's early days and i'm probably worried about nothing, but I'm an external applicant with no flying experience and haven't been contacted at all for a phone interview yet. Just wondering when should i start thinking that they are not going to conatact me at all, and will all of the applicants with the necessary requirements (eg Senior first aid, customer service experience, RSA) get a phone interview? or am i just wishful thinking.

sorry just stressing about it all :bored:

Mr Seatback 2
18th Mar 2008, 08:37
I wouldn't get too worries just yet mate. It's late March now, and the first aircraft doesn't arrive until September...

For start up, they need about 280 crew. Plenty of time between now and then - and that's just for the first three aircraft. There's four more on top of those, plus 6 'options' with Boeing.

I don't know if they've even started general Cabin Crew recruitment yet. I'm only aware of Flight Manager/Cabin Leader assessment days...but I could be proven wrong!

Mr 1A!
18th Mar 2008, 09:45
Iv also applied online but i haven't heard from them at all... Hope they give me a chance. Iv tried with EY and EK but no luck there. I would rather work for V Aust.... Hope they call.

fingers crossed for us all!

flitegirl
18th Mar 2008, 19:26
guys, hang in there. Flight Attendant recruitment in Australia hasn't been this hot for years. Qantas are recruiting like crazy now they have a new LH EBA and Virgin also for their new international routes. Plus JQ will continue to expand and then there's the new entrants. There will be jobs here there and everywhere!

Goodluck

I Just Want To Fly
21st Mar 2008, 13:49
I have my VRD in DXB scheduled for the 1st of April!

Can anyone give any ideas on the behaviours Virgin Blue identifies as being key to the role. Not sure if Virgin Atlantics have spread through to the other sister airlines...

Virgin Atlantics are as follows:

CS – CUSTOMER SERVICE
Anticipates customer needs
-Takes personal responsibility for Resolving
a broad range of customer queries/issues
to deliver ‘best’ customer service·
- Actively monitors customer satisfaction
and seeks feedback from customers to
increase performance
Responds positively to customer needs·
- Takes responsibility for Resolving basic
customer queries/issues within the
scope of his/her experience
- Maintains a ‘can do’ approach at all
times, when dealing with customers.

WWO - WORKING WITH OTHERS
Adapts approach for different individuals,
cultures and situations·
- Works effectively across cultures and
roles; is able to effectively lead and influence
diverse teams.
- Draws upon different styles and
approaches to maintain relationships and get
the best results.
Seeks out different situations, environments and opinions.
- Recognises and takes into account different cultural and individual styles.
- Demonstrates flexibility in sharing the workload.
- Talks of other team members in positive terms, directly and indirectly.
- Creates appropriate fun and energy in the workplace and retain a sense of humour.
- Demonstrates a personal style, which is informal, friendly, relaxed and approachable.
- Asks for feedback on own performance.
- Finds ways to make work and / or the work environment fun for self and others.

IS – INTERPERSONAL SKILLS
Responds constructively to stress or
pressure.
- Develops a way of dealing constructively
with pressure situations, (i.e. understands
their own emotions as the basis for better
self management).
Maintains self control
- Resists the impulse to Act immediately; takes time to think through a response, continuing
with the customer situation (even when there seems little scope for success)
- Consciously knows, manages and controls own emotions when provoked.
- Understands and manages own feelings in given situations.
- Is open to and Actively seeks feedback from colleagues, management, customers, taking

CDM – COURAGE & DECISION MAKING
Takes difficult decisions
- Makes decisions that may be unpopular,
explaining the rationale to others.
- Stands by difficult decisions even when
faced with opposition, addressing the
situation appropriately.
Embraces Challenges
- Admits to own mistakes; explains what
he/she has learned from them.
- Is confident in own ability and is decisive
when dealing with situations
Shows Self Belief
- Expresses own opinions confidently.
- Makes appropriate decisions
independently, without unnecessarily
referring to others.

PSC - PROBLEM SOLVING & CREATIVITY
Proactively takes ownership and Resolves
problems
- Steps back from a situation in order to gain
a better understanding and proactively seeks
out the best solution
- Demonstrates flexibility when dealing with
situations, even when faced with ambiguity
Uses common sense to identify problems and situations
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own actions on cost.
Proposes or suggests new ways of doing things which could prove more efficient and / or
effective.
- Uses own initiative to resolve day-to-day problems, where appropriate.
Uses resources cost effectively, taking care not to be wasteful.

CAI - COMMUNICATING & INFLUENCING
Tailors influencing approach
- Adapts the content, style, language and
tone of a discussion to the needs of the
individual .
- Sells own ideas by linking them to others’
values, goals or ideas
Uses logical persuasion
- Communicates clearly and confidently, Engaging with all of our Customers·
- Ensures knowledge of our products and services is up to date e.g. limo service, menu items,
wines, Revivals etc.
- Demonstrates a concern for harmony and a Friendly environment.
- Keeps fellow crew updated/informed to ensure efficient working.

Mr Seatback 2
21st Mar 2008, 23:22
What position/s have you applied for IJWTF?

It'll be interesting to see what it is they're looking for. I don't imagine it will be much different from the general Virgin 'flair' they look for at VB. As you've noted IJWTF, I wonder how much Virgin Atlantic they want to inject into V Australia - given that it will compete with Qantas & United internationally. What you manage to get away with at VB may not necessarily be in favour with V Australia (ie. jokes on the PA, etc.)

I also wonder how they will assess people throughout the day for manager-type roles onboard. Generally speaking, we'd all be familiar with the idea of not being too outspoken, or too quiet at group type exercises (which is fine for Cabin Crew roles)...but for managerial positions, this could shift away from being 'in the middle' towards demonstrating more 'leading' qualities. Just a thought - but I'm as equally in the dark in what they're looking for.

I suppose it's an interesting situation to be in. Since none of us work for this new Virgin brand yet, we don't have any 'inside' or personal perspectives from anyone. From what I understand, the product launch itself (fares, an idea of what will be onboard, etc) will occur towards the end of this month. Hopefully, that will give us all more information to work on prior to the interviews.

Rambocrew
22nd Mar 2008, 17:37
Just really wonder...What is VRD? Is it Virgin Australia or Virgin Blue?? I saw the initial on both forum.

And for all Aussies, please tell me where can I register for the Alcohol serving license and First Aid one? Can I do it online? How long does it take for the course?

Thankx

mrsh
23rd Mar 2008, 01:51
I've applied for both Flight Manager and Cabin leader and have loads of experience but I haven't even heard anything back yet and it's been close to two weeks now. I suppose they're still sorting through all the applications, then again perhaps I would have got a "no thank you" email by now if i wasn't successful? Can anyone shed any light here for me, please?

transcontinentalcc
23rd Mar 2008, 04:15
VRD - Volume Recruitment Day

To weed out the good candidates from the "volume" amount of applicants.

I Just Want To Fly
23rd Mar 2008, 18:10
I applied for Cabin Leader, but think that I have only progressed to Cabin Crew interview. I've only been flying for 2 years, and I think the experience of applicants is quite high.

Mr Seatback 2
24th Mar 2008, 07:35
Is anyone else going to the SYD recruitment seminars? I hear they're on the 8th AND/OR the 9th.

IJWTF - How do you know you're only being considered for Cabin Crew? Did they say anything in the telephone interview? Did you apply for Cabin Crew online as well?

mrsh - I know they're busy tee-ing up seminars for Dubai, Auckland and Sydney next month. Could be they're just very busy organising everything.

I thought I'd missed out too, then - bang - out of the blue, a phone call...

Interestingly, I don't know of ANYONE in SYD who's going for the SYD day above...not even friends of friends! Curious to know just what they're recruiting for right now. Is it FM's and CL's, both, both + cabin crew?

OzyOS
24th Mar 2008, 08:11
Ive been wondering myself about the recruitment days for Sydney? I have done the phone interview (Flight Manager) and all seemed to go well. I was informed at the end of the interview to 'reserve' the 8th and 9th as I will be required to attend one of these days for recruitment...still waiting for the email invite that I was told I would recieve...
My guess is that no one has recieved this E-vite as of yet for Sydney (Flight Manager interviews), with the Easter break having just passed and it seems all the DXB crew are going thru interviews in April first Virgin HR have certainly had their hands full! May still be a week or so until we actually recieve the 'formal' invitation...But I think we will all be relieved by the end of the week when we check our emails..hopefully :ok:

Mr Seatback 2
24th Mar 2008, 08:22
I know what you mean Ozy! I've been checking my email furiously! LOL

Will be interesting to see how many people they're catering for in the Flight Manager assessment days. There was a time when you'd know friends, or even friends of friends, who were going...you're the only other person I know who's been invited apart from me! LOL

With all the recruitment going on in this country for flying jobs, it's not surprising I guess. What will be interesting to see is where all the Flight Manager applicants have come from - can't imagine there are too many ex supervisory crew floating around these days, with the exception of MAM crew perhaps (but most of them I know are looking at gigs at QCCA as CSS's, etc).

Of course, there'd be VB crew going for this too (but would they be going through the assessment days with us, I wonder?)

What about the DXB interviews? How many would want to turn their back on EK? Would there be many with cabin supervisory experience looking to come back to Oz? And the same for AKL I imagine...

Questions, questions - all looking for an answer! :p

transcontinentalcc
24th Mar 2008, 08:48
There's been hundreds of EK crew and supervisor's dying to come to V... the recruitment days over there are going wild!

Internal recruitment for FM and CL are being done seperately, the days next month are all for external applicants... VAus are expecting alot of expats to come back from DXB and there are many many many internal applicants with the credentials and drive for onboard management jobs.

Fierce times ahead!

transcontinentalcc
24th Mar 2008, 08:50
Oh.... and expect that salaries to be almost identical to what is being offered at Qantas under the new QCCA EBA 8... which isn't too bad when we're looking at on board manager roles!

OzyOS
24th Mar 2008, 08:54
Bless...Mr Seatback 2 your in overdrive with all your thoughts!! LOL!
Hhhmm, wonder if I can help you out a little with some of my thoughts..unfortunatley wont be the actual answers to your questions...but could help put your mind at ease a little..or at least give you something new to chew over.. ;)
I doubt it will be a lot of Flight Manager that V are looking for to start with, so I do expect the competition to be somewhat stiff in the beginning...guessing that they are looking for less than 30 to start with (happy for corrections if im wrong...the more the merrier I say!) out of the proposed 280 crew. Its true that EK Crew will be providing alot of the competition for these slots (as they are already familiar with the operation of the 777-300ER and some already in Purser positions)...However, having been ex EK crew myself, I am aware that the Australian crew with EK who have already achieved 'Flight Manager' or 'Cabin Leader' status have been living in DXB for many years. It can be looked from 2 different angles I suppose..one angle: They have had enough and just want to come home..no matter what.. or the second angle: Im already established (have home, car etc), I have my boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife who doesnt want to move or cant move and I also have friends here, V wont be able to match my current income 'tax free' and the destinations are far more exciting with EK then to be on just LA's only for a long period of time. Im guessing that the second angle could be where V may find their achilles heel when taking current Pursers and Leaders out of their already established environment? (also the percentage of Australian passport holders in Emirates that are already Managers/leaders isnt as high as the local nationalities etc)...the airline is made up of thousands of crew from all over the world that wont be able to legally work in australia...so there is already a large amount of applications from EK that wont be considered due to this fact. There may even be a few 'sticky beaks' who are invited for the interviews, but are not seriously considering the move...just curious about the new airline, conditions and process?
Thing is we can go nuts specuating the 'if's, but's, how's and why's'. I truely think that V will do great in recruiting the Cabin Crew from Dubai, as the less senior you are the less you have to lose by jumping ship to V. But who knows...at this initial stage, as long as you can tick all the boxes...we are all in with a shot...it always boils down to the interviews and how well you can jump those hoops!! :ok: Just hold your breath and keep fingers crossed for that fabulous email to arrive soon! :p

Ps It will be very lovely if the conditions are close to what QF have been offering...nice start for the Managers! Remember the aviation industry is booming at the moment...its a fantastic time to be recruited as there are so many options, you can put your eggs into many baskets!...Actually just heard today that the Sheikh announced plans for Emirates starting a low cost carrier would you believe!...so many possabilities!

Mr Seatback 2
24th Mar 2008, 08:55
Oh OzyOS...I'm a bundle of nerves right now! LOL

Normally, I'm not this speculative...but there's so many unanswered questions...curious by nature I guess (or is that compulsive obsessive???) :sad:

Very interesting points of view there Ozy...yes, mulling it all over and taking it all on board at the same time...Happy to hear you're willing to alleviate the concerns of a tragic! :}

Well it's reassuring to hear the conditions are being mirrored closely to QCCA. :D

Interesting times ahead by all accounts...egads! Competition from the Middle East AND internally by the hundreds...EEEK!

Bit worried that I can hold up against the competition...fingers crossed I can keep my end up! LOL

And GOOD LUCK to everyone else too!

sebby
24th Mar 2008, 09:34
I was semi interested in going for cabin leader role (4 years as cabin crew, one of those as short haul purser, currently) but didnt for the simple fact that I would be worried if I was unsuccessful in that role I wouldnt be allocated the opportunity to be of the rank below, cabin crew. But I predict there will be other opportunities for promotion relatively quickly so I could try within a year or two for a promotion.

OzyOS
24th Mar 2008, 09:54
I know Mr Seatback 2 how on edge these airlines can keep you! They always excel at keeping their cards close to their chest..especially with a new airline as there is nothing really to go on since they havent started operations yet...so no cheeky inside information! :} (VB inside info cant even help as V will be a completey different type of operation from aircraft to service to destinations..international is a different ball game.)
Just have faith in your own abilities (everyone applying has something new and different to bring to the table) and give it your all...thats all anyone can ever ask :ok:

Mr 1A!
29th Mar 2008, 14:01
Hi, I'm a bit worried... I haven't heard anything from V Aust. yet... i know some friends have already got emails inviting them to the next stage.
Does any1 know if no contact means unsuccessful? (I hope not).

flapsforty
29th Mar 2008, 14:33
Posts in this forum MUST:

Be in English
Not use text message abbreviations.
Make sufficient use of punctuation & grammar to be readable.
Not be used instead of private messages.
Not be used to tell somebody else about a private message.
Have a point (i.e. be relevant to the thread and not chatter)

Thanks for your help...

Mr Seatback 2
30th Mar 2008, 04:11
Official pricing, product launch occurring tomorrow at 10am (Mon 31st March).

Branson already here for the V Festival in Sydney

Galaxy Girl
31st Mar 2008, 06:27
Hey

I received an email from V Aust on 26th March inviting me to a recruitment day on 7th April in Sydney for Cabin Crew at 7:45am. I replied to the email, saying i would like to attend. The initial email said the venue would be advised on acceptance of the email invite, however i havent heard back from them. Has this happened to anyone else?

Ps I didnt have a telephone interview.

OzyOS
31st Mar 2008, 07:05
Hey Galaxy Girl. from what I gather, they are yet to advise of a venue. On my invitation the venue was also TBA. I have accepted and assume that as the date approaches I will hear of the venue via email or phone. Another suggestion is just reply to the email they sent you..im sure they wouldnt mind at all if you were worried and wanted to just make sure you havent missed anything? Actually, let me check and see if I still have the ph of the recruitment officer and if so I will PM it to you. Either way im sure it will all work out!

Goodluck :ok:
Cheers

Galaxy Girl
31st Mar 2008, 07:13
Hey OzyOs, thanks for shedding some light on not hearing back re: venue. I was getting a bit anxious - I actually didnt have a telephone interview though, hence i dont have a number to call....

Oh well, i hope to receive an email advising of the venue closer to the 7th and you do too! Was your phone call pretty general or a little tricky ???

OzyOS
31st Mar 2008, 07:18
Have to say the phone interview was ok (going for FM position), you have done well not having to go thru that stage..but im very curious on what level of difficulty the actual interviews will be (role playing makes me nervous and im certainly no actress!!Lol!)..having said that, being part of Virgin group...hopefully it will still have an element of fun! On my email I recieved, there was also a phone number for any further questions as well as an email contact, did they have this options on the email invite they sent you?

sebby
31st Mar 2008, 11:48
I received an email like the one you recieved galaxy girl and have replied. My interview is on 17 April in Auckland (I assume as that is where I nominated).

It also says to reply by the 7 April so I feel I will have a venue given to me around the 8th. (I am only applying for CC role so didnt have a phone interview).

Did yours have a cut off day to RSVP, if so I imagine they will send the further information after that date. At least you know the date and time you need to set aside. :ok:

cherrie
31st Mar 2008, 21:49
Hi all,

Just a heads up i had a phone interview for cabin crew leader a few days ago and they stated that next round interviews will be held on the 21st April.

Good luck for anyone getting an interview :)

Rambocrew
1st Apr 2008, 13:08
I just got 'Thanks but no thanks' e-mail from them, after the phone interview.

I got the phone call from them once, but it was not convenient time for me to talk. Then I tried to contact them back, but it was difficult to arrange a mutually agreeable opportunity.

When i eventually got back through to them they couldn't find my application and told me to call back. I called back and the whole conversation started with "why did I call them"! From there, just down hill. There seemed to be no communication between them. (They were asking me to call them back)

They accused me of mixing my first and last name around but i checked my application on line afterwards and it was fine. I really don't know how could it be?! :ugh:

Then the interview was clearly nothing but laborious for the interviewer who clearly was already tired & fed up with everything after a whole day long of working. Couple all of these things with a bad / crackly line and it's no wonder I got the "thanks but no thanks" e-mail a few hours later!

Quite dissappointed by the whole handling of the applications. At first they seemed genuinely interested and seemed to push me towards a higher position (In-Flight Manager) than I applied for (CC & Cabin Leader) but in the end it seemed they had reached their quota (in Dubai) and I just became a formality.

My situation seemed like I really had no luck with them...so sad. :{

OzyOS
2nd Apr 2008, 03:48
Rest assured fellow V applicants that the number of intakes from over in Dubai so far appears a lot smaller than most thought. Apparently yesterday there were only aprox 20 EK crew being interviewed for the Cabin Crew position..the FM's are being interviewed today, dont know the number, but it looks like the amount will be the same as will be the Cabin Leaders the day following that!..At this stage V wont be returning to interview in DXB, its just this one off. Hope this helps the confidence of the ones applying that were convinced that most slots would go to EK Crew :ok:(and the EK crew know how to interview well!) But as far as what seems to be the case (and was my initial thought as well) V are just needing a small amount of EK crew to mix in with the new recruits from Aus and NZ...possibly because they are already certified on the B777-300ER? (..and what a gorgeous A/C that is!!).

They are interviewing for the first 3 A/C at present and training for that looks like it will be beginning Aug thru to Oct. Cabin Crew expect 5-6wks training, FM 8-9! DXB crew will know in 2 weeks if they were successful.

Also...expect NZ turnarounds (which looks like starting operation in Jan 09) and average roster hours of up to 120!! Pay is still not yet 'finalized'...

Cheers :p

I Just Want To Fly
2nd Apr 2008, 08:14
Well V-OZ has held it's first ever cabin crew recruitment day, and I was lucky enough to be part of it. There were about 30 of us, mostly working for Emirates and Etihad in the UAE.

The process is very simple and straight forward:

Ice Breaker
Group Activity
Elimination - Only two people got eliminated
English/Intelligence Test - Speed and accuracy both equally important
Role Play - Use your customer service skills, and think about ways to resolve the problem
One/One Interview - Be yourself, sell yourself, Show your Virgin Flair!

They are very clear at the begining of the day with regards to what they are looking for. Just relax!

I wasn't relaxed though, I'd just done two back to back trips to get the day off and had about 4 hours sleep before the interview so was really tired, and got a bit nervous and found it hard to concentrate. I made it all the way through, but am not very confident, so we'll see what happens. They have said they will notify us in two weeks if we have progressed to medical.

sebby
9th Apr 2008, 03:37
Any more news or interview experiences?

Mr Seatback 2
11th Apr 2008, 10:42
I will just say this...I've never been through such a rigorous, thorough and exhausting set of interviews. Having said that...I enjoyed the challenge, and I was in the company of wonderful people all day.

Good luck to all those who enter...it will be worth all the effort!

OzyOS
11th Apr 2008, 11:40
Well said Mr Seatback 2! I absolutely agree with what you have written above. I definitely felt as though I had had my mind bent in many different angles throughout the day. It wasnt so much as difficult, for any of you who are worried, but more as Mr seatback said 'Challenging'. It certainly tests your stamina and keeps your brain active through out the day (which for me was absolutely refreshingly different from other interviews I have attended and I did enjoy it).
I wish everyone as well the best of luck, remember to breathe, stay calm and just do what you do best...they've chosen you from many applicants to attend the interviews...they have already seen your potential before you may have!

Cheers :ok:

sebby
11th Apr 2008, 13:19
Good luck!

Have my interview for cabin crew on thursday in auckland.

Sounds like a good day and a good way to get the brain working. Was any contract info offered at your recruitment days?

OzyOS
12th Apr 2008, 01:53
Hi Sebby, not too much was said regarding the actual employment details. There are still a number of details that are yet to be finalized which should be released in the next couple of weeks. I wish you the best for your interview. As broad as this may sound, the best advise I can give you is to just be you. The recruiters are professional, warm and friendly...you will feel a bit tired at the end of it all so make sure to have a good breakfast to give you energy and keep your brain operating at an optimum level!

Goodluck :ok:

Bla_Bla
12th Apr 2008, 06:52
has anyone from melbourne that has applied heard anything at all ?
phone interview or invite to a recruitment day ?
cheers
good luck to all of you.

Hopeful CC
14th Apr 2008, 06:01
Good luck to all of you who have applied.

I applied some time ago and never recieved the telephone interview however I did recieve the invitation to the VRD in my email. I had no previous flying experience.

I decided to decline the invitation as I had JUST started flying internationally with another carrier.. I am condsidering reapplying in the nearish future - can anyone tell me what V Aus destinations are and what the pay is like?

Many thanks and best of luck to everyone else!

Rambocrew
14th Apr 2008, 09:26
Um...I USED TO THINK that they were professional!!!

Guys who got thorough/ have been invited for the interview, are trying to say they are good and professional. I respect your opinions.

Wait a min...go back and read my post...If u were in the same situation as mine, would u change ur comment?

Do u think is it professional that I was accused that I put my first and last name other way round, which I DID NOT, and this resulted they couldn't pull my file up. It made me look so stupid.

Plus, The recruiter didn't communicate to each other. Once I called them I was questioned that why did I call them, because another recruiter who sent me the e-mail was off on the day.

Anyway, wish u all the best luck...(Don't end up like my story)

Cheers,

Bla_Bla
14th Apr 2008, 23:31
were u invited for a VRD in melbourne ?

jimmyroo
15th Apr 2008, 00:56
Has anyone been invited to the BNE CC VRD on the 21st April? If so, have you they told you where the day is being held yet? I received an email invite, but am getting worried because the 21st is coming quick and still don't know where I have to go??? I'm hoping that since the cut off was the 14th they will let me know soon maybe?

sebby
15th Apr 2008, 01:42
Hi Jimmyroo

My invite was for the 17th in Auckland and the cut off for rsvp was the 7th. I received an email with details on location and document requirements on the 8th.

Hope this helps ease your nerves! :ok:

jimmyroo
15th Apr 2008, 02:01
Thanks Sebby. Soon after posting in the thread I received an email with confirmation and location. Yay, can't wait!!!

Good luck everyone!

gigs
16th Apr 2008, 23:15
Hi, Potential V jetties, does anyone know if they are interviewing for SYD yet?
Thanks gigs.

I Just Want To Fly
17th Apr 2008, 02:20
Hi there, just got my email to say I've progressed to the next stage after the recruitment day... Can any VBlue guys and gals shed any light on what that next stage actually is. I presume they are following the same processes. Is it simply reference checks and medical etc...? Should I be excited?

Mr Seatback 2
18th Apr 2008, 05:44
Can only tell you what I know from my assessment day...

They were in the Middle East start of April, and have just started getting back to them now (according to this thread).
They came to Sydney for the week in 2nd week of April, doing FA's, FM's and CL's.
This week they're in Auckland (I think) doing interviews.

Pay is still TBA, along with all the nitty gritty details.

Sydney base only at this stage. Recruiting for approx. 280 for start up (3 aircraft) + more as each new aircraft arrives.

Don't think they have any more assessment dates planned as yet. I heard they were interviewing (or planning to interview) the VB internal applicants soon. Then, once they've done all that, they might go external again - MAYBE?!

First flights not until December, so there won't be much in the way of a rush I think.

sebby
18th Apr 2008, 07:44
There are further CC recruitment days in Mel and Syd coming up.

Was told this by a recruitment officer as I have been given a pick of dates and locations due to being unable to attend the other day in Auckland as I was stuck out of base on an unscheduled overnight (of all the nights :ugh:!!!!).

Very nice of them to be so understanding :ok:

Mr Seatback 2
22nd Apr 2008, 07:38
Well...I got the dreaded email today. A friend of mine (who was with me on the day) also got the email. We both went for FM, CL and FA positions - apparently we're no good for any of them.

Oh well...back to the drawing board. Can't help but be left wondering - if I was good enough to get through the telephone screening in the first place for a FM position, how is it I'm no good for a CL or FA position?

I wonder if VB will give me a go? :(

sebby
22nd Apr 2008, 10:26
Unlucky Mr Seatback...

Seems strange, as you say, that all positions were available to you yet none were offered.

Good on you for keeping us up to date, better luck next time! :ok:

Vince1
24th Apr 2008, 00:50
Mr Seatback 2,

You're truly a professional!! Not many people, including myself would have posted they got the dreaded e-mail.

You know my opinion when you told me the news. I am still in shock..... I think a Sav Blanc is in order!!!

xxxxooo

Mr Seatback 2
24th Apr 2008, 09:56
Thanks for the support guys. Must say I was rather disappointed, but these things happen.

I just wish everyone else all the best in the process. Maybe, one day, it might happen?!

OzyOS
24th Apr 2008, 14:54
Mr Seatback 2! My dear Ive been trying to post for a while now, but unfortunately my computer at home hasnt been very co-operative!! ai,ai,ai!!

I just wanted to say how sorry I am that your news wasn't what you wanted (and understandably) not what all of us expected to hear either...darling my heart goes out to you...but from what I gather, you will fall on your feet no matter what life throws at you! :ok:

So since I am able to post at the moment, just for an update...I did get an email to inform me of progressing...however, I am not too sure what it means at this stage...I think they are still carrying out interviews and until its all complete...the wait continues for the final answer.

Again I am so sorry, but chin up...your future is rosy no matter what!!

Cheers,
OzyOS :p
Ps Im still having a Sav Blanc in your honor......:D

chicken or fish 2
28th Apr 2008, 10:10
Does anyone know more about the V Australia recruitment days?
How do they work?
Are they similar to the Virgin Blue VR?

Thanks

RollzRoyce
29th Apr 2008, 13:08
Hi Everyone,

I know of a few sources that i can highly recommend you read that will help you with the VRD interviews. Relates directly to the whole interview process etc... Dont hesitate to contact me through Private message and I may be able to direct you in the right path.

Also if you are off the street have no idea about the interview processes airlines use and dying to become an F/A just message me and I will try to help you out!

Good Luck

Regards,

Rollz

chicken or fish 2
2nd May 2008, 10:47
Does anyone else have any more information on V Australia?

Miss V
7th May 2008, 11:15
I heard from V Australia today, I received an email inviting me to a VRD for Cabin Crew on 22nd May at 7:45am! My hands are shaking as I type this lol. I am so nervous and excited already that I have butterflies; this is such a great opportunity!

Has anyone out there received an invite for the same day?

I know of people who have either been employed previously with an airline or who have had experience as Cabin Crew (not with any of the Virgin airlines) and these people received two emails, one was a "Thanks for expressing your interest, we are currently reviewing all applications and we will be in touch with you as soon as possible" and the second was a rejection email. I have no experience as Cabin Crew and I have never worked for an airline. After hearing from these people that they did not even make it to an interview, I expected I would receive a rejection email too. I thought that V Australia would take these people as they are so bubbly and so "Virgin Cabin Crew".

Any feedback from those who have attended a V Australia Cabin Crew interview? Or from those who are in the know?
Which venue are they using for the interviews in Sydney?
How long is the crew rest period in between flights?

Is the competition fierce at the interview? I picture it will be, considering that lots of people want to be a part of V Australia. I just want to be able to be myself and work through the day step by step without being freaked out by over competitiveness, it's going to be the longest day ever not to mention the longest wait for an answer!

Sooo excited! I have replied to the email invite and I shall keep everyone posted :)

I Just Want To Fly
7th May 2008, 20:52
Congrats on getting an interview. I know V-Oz has already interviewed heaps of people who are experienced, and may now be looking at casting a wider net. Lots of airlines like to have a balance of experienced crew, together with fresh blood, who can inject passion and energy into an organisation. The job is not rocket science, and there will be pleanty of very experienced crew on hand to give new flyers a hand.

rocketscience
11th May 2008, 04:17
Miss V, i also got n email asking me to attend the open day on the 22nd in Sydney for cabin crew. I have replied but have not got an email back yet with the venue. Hopefully soon!!! I have been readin through this tread and have read alot of people got a phone call before they got invited.. Did you recieve this? I didnt.... not sure why? Please let me know if you hear of anything. Good luck

Miss V
11th May 2008, 12:14
Hi rocketscience,

No I didn't receive a phone call before receiving an email invite either. I was wondering what the go is with that, I also read that some people received calls for phone interviews. I assumed a phone interview was part of the process for everyone who applied.

Still waiting for an email to confirm the venue for the VRD. Maybe it's one of the hotels by the airport, who knows. I'll keep you posted.

Good luck to you too :)

Legacy-Lover
11th May 2008, 12:29
I attended a VRD in Auckland, V called me to confirm a day or so before and posted a message on the website.

The C/C recruitment day was quite standard but much more friendly than the QCCA experience.

-Document check and registration

-Sit down at tables

-Presentation covering corporate info / vision / values etc and conditions / pay

-Group activity at your table - topic was examining some hypothetical customer complaints and looking at how to make improvements.

-One on two situational where you handle a disgruntled customer. They give you a written situation to study first. Then you act it out with an assessor while another observes/takes notes.

Culling - you get an envelope asking you to stay (or not) for the one on one interview.

One on one was about 8 "tell us a time when" situational questions and the obligatory "why do you want to be a V Hostie blah.."
- note - it is good when your assessor has their head down writing !! that means your giving them something to work with when faced with a PILE of applications to sort.
Think of some times when you dealt with a difficult customer, had a problem with a co-worker, were tempted to breach the chain of command etc. Be honest and remain upbeat and positive at all times.

Then you go home.

I had a nice day and the recruiters were all very nice, however the cabin crew manager (a lady with red hair) seemed like a bit of an ice maiden. I felt it all went very well but received the "We were so happy to meet you but no thanks" email two weeks down the track.

I must mention the pay etc.

$37500 "all rolled up" - which means no overtime (16 hour duties or disrupts with no o/t is a bit daunting)

"cash allowance to be paid at hotel"...."yet to be announced" sounded like a bit of a story - perhaps they might not want to dampen interest. I was thinking "$37K ?? is that it ?? the allowances would have to be decent - especially since about minimum needed to live in syd is $50K" and then they said nothing....i really got the impression they wanted to keep people guessing perhaps as a means of 'holding onto' candidates since training is still a way off (only my view).

10 % ? super - anyway it was more than the legal minimum of 9 %

layovers of at least 24 hours (you need 36 in LAX to feel human again)

28 day roster - 9 days off - plans for a bidding system

100 flying hours

.. So a bit of a let down on the pay which does not match OTE at QCCA (pending the allowances) but they certainly seemed professional and candidate friendly in that they kept you informed all they way through the process and got back to you when they said they would etc.

Best of luck all !!

Legacy-Lover
11th May 2008, 12:39
I applied for CabinLeader and CabinCrew.

I was telephone interviewed but that related to the CL application. I was invited to a VRD but was not put forward for CL.

It seems they don't do a phone interview for CC candidates but they may call to confirm attendance.

Keep checking the "messages" on the recruitment site as i noticed a message was posted but i did not receive an email notification.

All the best.

rocketscience
12th May 2008, 07:34
Thanx legacy lover for the info. It is very helpful. you have made it sound like a fun day.:ok: I got an email today to say i had secured a spot on the open day and the location. Miss v did you get this?

chicken or fish 2
12th May 2008, 22:44
Congratulations to everyone who has a VRD with V Australia! How exciting!!!

I wish you the best of luck........

Has anyone else heard anything???
Has anyone been employed by V Australia yet?

Thanks

I Just Want To Fly
12th May 2008, 23:12
Just found out they have started doing my reference checks, so looks like things are moving along.

chicken or fish 2
12th May 2008, 23:56
That's very good news I Just Want To Fly.....
Well done for making it into the next stage!

Miss V
13th May 2008, 09:34
Legacy-Lover,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
$37500 is a bit of a joke and no o/t :eek: what the...? Maybe they are throwing it out there to see people's reaction? I was thinking the pay would be much the same as QCCA as well...

rocketscience,

Yep I received an email and a message on the careers website confirming the venue and a spot at the VRD.

blue_stew
16th May 2008, 05:45
I don't often comment on here - as I don't have much to say - but I could not resist - 37500!! They have got to be kidding! It will be really sad if CC at the full service VB brand are making nearly $10000 (plus overtime) less than CC at the LCC end of the VB brand!

How can you launch a full service international product when you can't afford to pay reasonable rates. All you long haul wanna be would be better off at QF b scale - at least the staff travel is better and more destinations to choose from.

Makes me appreciate where I am.

Miss V
18th May 2008, 11:45
On V Oz's website they say they offer competitive salary/wages which are linked to continuous reviews of market labour rates..how is $37,500 competitive when QCCA are offering more???

I Just Want To Fly
19th May 2008, 12:18
So how much is QCCA base pay? I'm in London, so very much removed from what's happening at QF... $37500 is just base pay. Allowances and sector pay will be in addition to this... I hope...

Legacy-Lover
19th May 2008, 14:32
At the VRD they showed (on a power point presentation) that C/C base pay was 37.5k "all rolled up" and when someone asked about overtime they indicated that the 37.5k "already covered that" and there was no talk of any sector pay.

They went on to be vague about the allowances except that they did say it would be "cash at the outstation" and that they expected to have it "confirmed in a couple of weeks".

So from my memory and the impression i was given you only get your base plus a cash allowance for meal money at the hotel.

Since i was interviewed in late April, you would expect that more recent VRD attendees would have better information about the allowances unless V are still spinning the same story that the allowances are "yet to be confirmed".

Also i know that the Cabin/Leader pay is circa 44k.

And Flight/Manager pay is 55k (plus a possible 5k performance bonus).

So QCCA looks better in all ranks.

It certainly is a bit of a joke and I'm rather surprised V has come in so low. They are offering bottom of the barrel conditions to pilots as well (see the pilot forums).

Anyone who has been to a VRD please confirm/correct me on any of the above if you have heard differently or have further information.

Cheers.

flight04
19th May 2008, 18:31
This is just out of control. Ever year the pay is less and less.
You people can make more money in an office.
Think about what your doing before you leave a perfectly good job.

xo

chicken or fish 2
19th May 2008, 22:09
Good luck to Miss V and Rocketscience for Thursday!!!

There has been some good information on this thread so you will be one step ahead of the rest.

Has anyone elso heard from V Australia??
Have any cabin crew been hired yet?? or sent to medicals??

Good luck everyone!

Bla_Bla
20th May 2008, 01:40
QCCA starting salary is 33475 ( 3% increase per year ) considering inflation is around the 4% mark u will never catch up.
so its 33475+OT ( which could be anything between 3K to 9K per annum - depending on what base u r ) + the 2.60 tax free per blocked hour ( which is equivalent to about another 3K per annum.
these figures were given by the FAAA.
so i guess QCCA is better becausee u get ur OT. so if u r in syd doing the SYD-AKL-LAX u will do well + JBR as well.
the difference really is for CSS - 55K or CSM 70K ( plus ur OT and ur 2.60 as well ).
allowances u can make anything from 10 K to 20 K per year , again figures given by the FAAA and also depending on what base ur flying from. SYD beats MEL as per norm. things are likely to change though. A380 will now have a mel base :D and the flying is also changing .
hope this info helps.

Miss V
20th May 2008, 08:32
flight04,

If I am lucky enough to be offered a cc position with V I will definately think things through beforehand as I have a well paying job and I have recently been made full-time. A move like this is huge for me.

I hear the big Q calling...even though my choice of company is V as it has so much to offer. I need to attend the recruitment day, think about where I am headed and what I want then weigh things up. Thankyou for your comments :)

chicken or fish 2,

Thankyou so much! Yes, the info on this thread has been a huge help and I will use it wisely

rocketscience,

GOOD LUCK!!!

jimmyroo
20th May 2008, 08:50
I heard from V this afternoon stating that I had been short listed and am now waiting for the final VRD's to finish (end of May) to find out whether they would like me to attend a medical or not. One thing though, I went for a CC position but in my email they thanked for attending the CL recruitment day???

Have you ever heard of someone jumping up the recuitment ladder like that??? Or would it simply be a typo in the email??

Cheers,

chicken or fish 2
20th May 2008, 09:35
Congratulations Jimmyroo.....that's great news.....

I'm sure you will make a great Cabin Leader or even Captain!!!...... but I think it may just be a standard email they sent out in a rush...

It's great they are keeping you so informed...Fingers crossed for the medical email/phone call. Only 11 more days to wait.

Has anyone else heard anything?

jimmyroo
20th May 2008, 10:21
Yeah, I believe my references have been checked. My old employer dropped me a line about a week and a half ago and said they had been intouch. Exciting times :) . I just can't wait to hear either way, the suspense is killing me!!! lol

cherrie
21st May 2008, 02:29
hi all just to keep everyone informed, i received my invitation to a recruitment assessment day for CC to be held in brisbane on the 3rd june 0745 location to be announced in my confirmation email.

am a little disappointed at what im reading about the pay conditions, i already make $52k a year just as short haul JQ.......i dont understand how they can be offering such low pay conditions.

seems airlines in australia are paying lower and lower each time their eba's come up for negotiation. I say anyone who can get into the UAE go for it !

blue_stew
21st May 2008, 05:52
Me again.... remember guys its not just about the $$$$ - the hours are very important too. I read someone said you will need to FLY 100 hours in 28 days, which means any ground time is above and beyond (hello delays). At Blue we only FLY about 80-85 hours per calendar month with 10 days off (and that feels like ALOT; we get very tired) - any additional time we get is overtime.

Anyone know the hours for QCCA??????

I guess if you get into V you can always transfer to Blue - especially in SYD while they build the base up.

apparently
21st May 2008, 06:54
I believe with V you will be rostered to around 100 hours per 28 days which is total roster time not just flying time and you will earn overtime for duty in excess of 120 hours. However, 120 hours is very tiring when talking about longhaul and is not sustainable on a month to month basis. Also no overtime on each duty especially when we are talking SYD - LAX is a bit rich! Talk to anyone at Jetstar International and see how they feel about being rostered SYD - DPS - SYD (almost 17 hours duty, sometimes twice in one week) with no overtime or sector pay and see how disgruntled they are. It seems inhumane to expect any crew to work long sectors without overtime!!! At least QCCA pay such extras. No one to my knowledge has been given any detailed information regarding the exact conditions on offer with V, so as this information comes to light, please consider your decision to sign up accordingly. I sincerely hope the offer will be a lot more than those already posted on this site. Good luck!

puff
21st May 2008, 14:06
To put things in perspective, got a few friends that are bus drivers and they are on a base of about $38k a year plus overtime, plus super etc etc, not hard to earn between $45-60k and your home everynight.

Yup being a FA is a bit more 'glam', but you deserve to be getting a bit more for back of the clock, long haul, breathing recycled air and being away from friends and family all the time.

IMHO your selling yourself short for the lifestyle the job gives you unless your getting the best part of 50K.

Galaxy Girl
21st May 2008, 23:59
Has anyone been offered a job out there with V as yet? I went to interviews in early April, have had my references checked about 2 weeks ago and still havent heard anything. If they want training to start in August they need to get a move on!

I had heard through a friend people have been offered the position?

Miss V
22nd May 2008, 03:47
I went to the recruitment day today and I didn't make it to the next stage (role plays etc). I know where I went wrong and it's my own fault but I'll try again in 12 months.

They presented really well and are basically doing things opposite to Qantas. They were laid back and full of laughs but the day still remained structured. The uniform is still to be decided, they did say it will be along the lines of Virgin Blue, very similar with some changes. When questions were asked about the uniform and the interior of the aircraft the response was "Earthy".

They are looking at a layover for LAX of 2 days and also looking to use the aircraft from Sydney to a destination that will be a day trip instead of having it sit on the ground in between flights.

Good luck to everyone who has applied!

Galaxy Girl,

They did mention in the presentation that no positions have been offered as yet and are not going to offer anything until the final interviews are over; not sure if they meant just Sydney or interviews in all locations. Also the pay hasn't been settled yet amongst other things. Good luck! Pay issues aside, they are going to be a great company to work for.

notalwayssunny
22nd May 2008, 04:23
I don't normally comment here, but I wanted to say I'm sorry to hear you didn't make it through. Your comments are highly professional and I wish you the best.

Galaxy Girl
22nd May 2008, 06:47
Blue Stew, Are there many VBs going to make the move across for the experience/change?

chicken or fish 2
22nd May 2008, 06:55
Well done Miss V......to get invited to a VRD is really cool. I know of many others who were not even invited and had the "no" email before they had the chance to go to a VRD.

I wish you the best of luck.....and like all of us on here just keep applying.

vozz
22nd May 2008, 07:08
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on this site and I just wanted to say how great it is that we all pull together and help each other with information. (On a positive note)

I decied to sign up as I have an interview with V Australia on the 28th May 2008. The information here is very interesting for someone that is somewhat experienced as crew.

I do however have a few questions/ideas that have been answered but would like to get clear now it is getting closer to the date:

1, Role plays? More information in what they are looking for? (they can be tricky things at the best of times hehehe. Maybe DO V DON'T'S)
2, Is anyone else going on the 28th May?
3, Down the track did they say you can pax from Melbourne to meet the
flight in Sydney?
4, DO's and DON'T's on the day?
5, Any other IMPORTANT information that may help myself and others reading this.

Thank you once again to all those in advance for your detailed posts.

Kind Regards,:ok:

blue_stew
24th May 2008, 03:33
Hi Galaxy Girl:

From what I have heard very few internal applicants put their hands up to go across - I think most are taking a wait and see approach. Also I have heard os a few who have withdrawn as well.

Those of us with VB know that until VB show their cards (ie pay/hours) they cannot be trusted. Don't get me wrong - all in all their are ok to work for, they are just a bit tight with the money at times and more than a little disorganised. My advise with them is - do NOT take them on their word - if its not in black and white you will never see it. Also I would say if you can get into VB - do - and revisit long haul later on.

Also my understanding with the day trips initially are syd-bne -syd as the flight orginates in bne and the duty in the q/a we were sent internally was that they were only 5 hours dutys.

Hope that helps - best of luck to all.

vozz
24th May 2008, 12:32
Thank you chicken or fish 2 your a sweetie :)

Lola M
25th May 2008, 06:08
Hi

For all those who have been for the V Assessment Day already, can you please tell me tell me what to expect for the Ice Breaker, Group Activities/ Role Play Scenarios/ and 1 on 1 interview questions are on the day?

Thanks

chicken or fish 2
25th May 2008, 06:23
Have a read of Post 85 by Legacy Lover. That post has some really useful information.

Congratulations on getting selected to attend a recruitment day!
Good luck....When is your interview? What state?

Door_One_Right
25th May 2008, 07:25
Get this, I applied to both Virgin Blue and V Australia. They send me an email asking me to choose betweent the two, so I opt for Virgin Blue. They send me an email inviting me to an assessment. Then they send an email telling me I was unsuccessful and have to wait another year. Then they send an email telling me V Australia are about to start recruiting again and to submit an application.

Why do airlines in Australia make it so bloody hard?

Galaxy Girl
27th May 2008, 01:17
Hello everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has possibly heard if they have a job with V Australia as yet?

chicken or fish 2
27th May 2008, 03:02
I know of a few people who have had their references called but they haven't been told any more........

The next stage will be medicals and then the job offers.

I've also heard they still had a few more V Australia interview days in May so they were waiting to get through those before they hired anyone.

Has anyone else heard?

Good luck for those attending a V Australia VRD tomorrow...especially Vozz!! Just be yourself and I'm sure you will have a great day.....Let us know how you go....

rocketscience
27th May 2008, 06:23
Chicken or fish 2, i got through the whole day which was good. :ok:They have said they will be in touch within 2 weeks either way so i will let you know.
I have tried to work a few things out for everyone, you are more than welcome to correct me. V oz is paying $37500 with a possible $1500 increase plus 0%to 5% increase based on merit. they did say most people would sit around the 3% mark. For this sake lets just say you earn at least $250 on meal allowances each week. Thats $13000 Tax free on top of $37500 which is $50500. V australia also said they will not be giving a call out fee on days off. I dont like the idea of not having seniority. Gambling for my holidays is not fun in my books. I wonder how it works moving up and also if you get paid for training.:confused:
I currently work as a flight attendant for a regional airline.My base has goes up to $37265 at the end of next month plus DTA at $4.62 per hour. so lets say we do approx 35 hours a week = $6375.60 (i have taken 6 weeks off for holidays where you recieve no DTA) You then add on Overnight allowance which is approx $100 tax free so at least 1 aweek =$5200 Then add Grooming allowance which is $1724.97 per year. That = $50565.57. I havent added our profit share, leave loading, bonuses or $250 we get for coming in on a day off.
I definatley know that i will be having to think alot if i get through. V oz needs to start getting real with pay. if a regional airline is beating a well known brand and international, cant they see there is something wrong??

rocketscience
27th May 2008, 10:36
Chiken or fish 2 i have put my company stuff on to compare for everyone

1. $37,265 plus DTA
2. 28 day rosters (120 hours).
3. Min 8 days off.
4. 42 days annual leave.
5. 120 min call out for standby duty.
6. Layover 1 night dont get to go to cool places though like LA.
7. 9% Super.
8. Leave bidding system based on senority.
9. You will find out 7 days before the start of the roster period.
10. Profit Share
11. callout fee of $250 a day plus dta
12. Paid extensions
13.grooming allowance

Grove
27th May 2008, 11:16
I was told by a friend who went for an interview that V will not be paying overtime... Anyone esle heard that???
If every duty you signed on for was to L.A, that would be alot of money in overtime you would be missing out on.
Q.C.C.A. conditions also are not the best but they are sounding better than what V are offering.
Flight Manager on V $55,000 p.a compared to Q.C.C.A Flight Manager [ C.S.M] $70,000.. plus overtime,plus uniform drycleaning,plus transport to work on certain duties...including flights to L.A..

spaniel77
27th May 2008, 13:51
Hey guys,

Wow. It seems to be going ahead. I thought it was all whispers until I got to this thread.

I was emailed last week to update my application and was hoping to hear from V for a possible assessment date, but nada.

Does anyone know how long they are interviewing in Sydney. I'd really love a crack at this one.:ok:

chicken or fish 2
27th May 2008, 21:25
Spaniel 77,
the next round of V Australia interviews will be in late June/July.

Applications close on the 15th of June 2008.

Good Luck!
I'm sure you will get an interview because they will need over 200+ cabin crew this year and around 80+ more for next year.

red or white
28th May 2008, 19:55
Guys get real. They are paying peanuts as the job is a crap! Who in their right mind would work for those condtitions? It will attract people who can not get any other job and it shows already..

YONLY
28th May 2008, 23:55
Have offers been made already? A guy I know is saying that he has gotten through. They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel if they are offering this guy a position though so don't really believe it... But then if the pay is that low they'll have trouble attracting good candidates!

chicken or fish 2
29th May 2008, 09:46
As far as I know there have been no offers made yet.......

They are still waiting for the final interviews to take place during May.

Most people have had their references checked (maybe your friend YONLY?) but have not been asked to do the medicals yet..

Anyone else know more???

How did you go yesterday VOZZ?
Heard anything Jimmyroo?

chicken or fish 2
1st Jun 2008, 02:03
I have a feeling people will be contacted soon for medicals as I know the first round of people have had all their references checked.

Has anyone been to a V Australia medical?

DJCCGuy
1st Jun 2008, 06:19
Is everyone in the process currently living in SYD or commuting?

chicken or fish 2
1st Jun 2008, 08:30
They interviewed in Melbourne, Brisbane ect.....and during the interview they ask if you would be prepared to move to Sydney....

Do you think it would be possible to commute from Melbourne?

Capt Coco
1st Jun 2008, 11:05
They said during some of the Tech crew interviews they fully expect that most will commute and not live in Sydney......I though they were referring to everyone. It seems you get full staff travel (incl DJ etc...)after 3 months porbabtion.
So it seems one could commute, if you did want to:ok:

DJCCGuy
1st Jun 2008, 11:18
With the current timings of the departures from SYD it would be absolutely possible to commute...for Cabin Crew though the information given internally was that call out time if you're on reserve is 1.5 hours - which makes commuting impossible unless you went down for the day you were on reserve... More thoughts on this whole commuting thing would be great!...would be great to get an official word from someone at V as to if they think it's going to be possible...

Galaxy Girl
2nd Jun 2008, 05:01
Hi DJCCGUY

Just curious to find out if you would take the positon with V, being internal? Are many internals still interested after finding out about the salary? Have you heard any more info/updates on the conditions they are going to offer? Is there any possibility for you to transfer back to VB after a given amount of time? Have you been told of a possible start date for training and which state?
What are your thoughts?

DJCCGuy
2nd Jun 2008, 05:15
Hey there,

Internally we have had no official word on conditions and pay, except that pay will probably be similar to what we are currently on now...

I personally would accept a position providing the pay wasn't too much different to current DJ pay...You would most probably be able to apply to transfer back to DJ after 9 months of service as per current policy...

Galaxy Girl
2nd Jun 2008, 05:34
Hey thanks for getting back to me. Do you know when the first training school is and where? and did they indicate which month they would release an actual date for the pay and conditons?

chicken or fish 2
2nd Jun 2008, 06:33
Thanks for the info guys

Capt CoCo......good news about the 3 month probation!!

DJCCGUY........1.5 hour reserve (I like the idea of commuting and then going on reserve for the day)

Galaxy girl.....I've heard that training would take place in August through to September...cabin crew training will go for 6 or 7 weeks...it will be held in Sydney and some classes will be in Brisbane (for start up period only)...for crew members who complete training before the start date they will be able to work in marketing, uniforms , sales etc...

DJCCGuy
2nd Jun 2008, 07:08
The only problem with all the commuting is the fact that it will be quite an expense and the wage may not be that great in the first place...

Galaxy Girl
2nd Jun 2008, 10:21
In regards to accommodation in Sydney, if you rent in the SHIRE (South of Sydney- 20 min drive from the airport), you will find it is cheaper than inner city, eastern and northern suburbs living.

Thats really interesting about those destinations you read about, very exciting if it is to happen.

Just a question, would you rather work for V or QCCA if you had the choice of both?

YONLY
2nd Jun 2008, 14:20
If you are applying for both V Australia and QCCA consider your options carefully! VB is not faring too well with this fuel price. QF might be the more stable option...

chicken or fish 2
3rd Jun 2008, 06:19
How did you go during your V Australia interview today Cherry?

cherrie
4th Jun 2008, 10:04
Aw thanks for remembering that i went...but i didnt. Unfortunately im an inflight trainer and got called out last minute :( BUT V Aus was very accommodating and have booked me into the next Bne Assessment day on Aug 5th so i will keep you posted :)

AirborneSoon
4th Jun 2008, 11:53
I don't know about that Yonly. Yes QANTAS are established longer but their fuel hedging won't protect them so much in a few months and it's really going to bite. They have a lot of big, heavy, fuel guzzling infrastructure in the skies. It's expensive to fly half-empty planes around the place.

I'm not pretending that VB won't be affected, it will. But I'm confident that both airlines have business plans in place to accomodate a rise in fuel prices. Anyone with eyeballs could see that the price of oil was always going to increase.

And don't believe everything in the news. It's exaggerated with the worst possible spin on it. That's how they sell newspapers and get ratings, you know.:ok:

Times are changing and thriving comes down to flexibility and adaptability. I think we'll see some big changes in aviation in general in the next year or two. The fuel crisis will only bring that change forward.

notalwayssunny
4th Jun 2008, 22:00
It's good to see that we can think for ourselves and treat what we read with criticism.

Do you remember what the media was saying 8 years ago? "A low cost model in Australia will never work"

Regards,

Sunny

Jetstream-Surfer
4th Jun 2008, 23:40
Hi, I asked this very question at interview recently. It seems that commuting is not an issue, as long as you are at work on time and well-rested. For standby duties, looks like a lot of V Australia crew who are commuting will just get cheap accommodation / share. I am hoping that the standby duties will be a standby 'block' that will only 'roll' around about once every 3 months...,I vaguely remembering someone in the group asking this at the VRD.

As for pay, well I think V Australia pay is not too bad. 37.5 K base plus super plus allowances and base pay, increasing to 40K after 1 year service. Not only that, you have to remember that with that sort of flying, you are only going to be doing about 4 trips per month once you take time off down route and home into consideration. So, going to work 4 times a month for about 54 k plus super, plus bonus doesnt seem too bad. Beats doing 6 days on , 2 off and so forth in shorthaul. Ok its not quite as much as QF initially...,but you get to advance very quickly within the ranks....,some people here are quoting the QF supervisor pay....,don't forget how many years it will take you to get there at QF...,at least at V Australia, you have a chance to be a supervisor within a year or two.

chicken or fish 2
5th Jun 2008, 06:41
Thanks for the information Jetstream-Surfer.....How did you go on the VRD Day?

air command
5th Jun 2008, 10:22
The JP Morgan report today, bought this response from Ross Greenwood (Channel Nine business reporter). Interesting read:

From Ross Greenwood, ninemsn.com.au a little bit of sense in the discussion....

The suggestion that's swept through media outlets is that Virgin Blue could collapse under the weight of higher fuel prices. Its a great headline catcher by the transport analysts at JP Morgan — who authored the report — but raises more questions than it answers. The first point to note is that it claims Virgin Blue will find itself in financial difficulties if fuel prices stay where they are for the next few years.

Well, we've had a report from the OECD saying it doesn't expect oil prices to peak much more in the forseeable future and the President of Shell Oil and the President of OPEC both say there's plenty of oil in the world and the current price spike is a bubble. So back to the Virgin Blue report by JP Morgan.

At the last balance sheet Virgin Blue had around $704 million of cash reserves in its balance sheet; total assets of $2.3 billion and total debt of $1.5 billion. It last year made $217 million. The average cost per available seat kilometre travelled was 8.52 cents — up 6 percent. Its average jetfuel price was $81 US a barrel — that was ahead 7.9 percent last year and the total cost for the year was $489 million.

In the half year to December 31, net profit after tax and new inititiatives was $113 million — presumable adding to the company's cash reserves.

That's how it was. Since then of course jet fuel prices have spiked sharply — they've doubled in the past year to more than US$173 a barrel at their peak and regularly above US$160. The broker UBS raised questions about the profitability of Virgin Blue earlier this week, suggesting it might have to raise capital from shareholders — with transport giant Toll Holdings the major holder with 63 per cent of the business.

So presume that the fuel cost for Virgin Blue this year doubled — to around $980 million. With all other things being equal it works out that the airline would roughly have lost $270 million for the full year. That still will not burn that cash reserve — but put a decent dent it in and bring it down to around $430 million. What JP Morgan and UBS are both saying is that Virgin Blue cannot stand that sort of cash drain forever. That's true enough.

But is it enough to send the airline broke? Not really in the immediate future because presumably the management will change a range of things — most likely air-fares — to address the cash drain caused by fuel prices. The second thing that will cause some stress is the constant need to upgrade aircraft (in order to keep the major servicing of the aircraft down to a mimimum) and the need to promote special fares to keep the load-factor high in the aircraft. The thing that might be cast aside is the V-Australia plan, unless the prices can be set at sensible levels. The worst scenario is that for any reason travellers stop flying or lose confidence.

I Just Want To Fly
5th Jun 2008, 11:24
Just received an email from recruitment. Nothing new, but I guess it confirms the wage package, and that things are moving on slowly...

Thank you once again for attending the V Australia Recruitment Day and congratulations on your progression to the next stage.

During the presentation we delivered on your interview day, we gave you a guide on the salary for the role. We are pleased to say that we now have the final package details and would like to share this information with you to give you some time to consider it before any potential job offers are made.

Salary

Cabin Crew (Year One) $37,500

Cabin Crew (Year Two) $40,000

Cabin Leader $49,000

Flight Manager $59,000

* After a minimum 12 months service with satisfactory performance.

Superannuation

As discussed at the interview, we are pleased to offer an enhanced Superannuation contribution of 12% on top of the salaries detailed above.

Performance Bonus

We are also offering up to 5% as a short term bonus which will be based on individual performance. This is up to 5% of your base salary each year as a personal incentive.

Subsistence Allowance

The salaries detailed above are inclusive of all sick pay, holiday pay and allowances, with the exception of subsistence allowances. This will be paid for your time overseas on company business and the rates will be based on the time you spend in the overseas location and the cost of meals in the hotel where V Australia will accommodate you. As we have not yet signed any hotel contracts we can only estimate how much this may be. It is also dependent on how many trips you do and to where! In saying that, we would estimate that on average, you could receive between $8,000 and $12,000 per year.

Thank you for your patience while we continue with our recruitment process and we will be in touch with you again shortly with details of the next stage.

Kind regards,

The V Australia Recruitment Team

chicken or fish 2
6th Jun 2008, 08:03
Thanks I Just want to Fly.......

At least they have told us the official pay now....What does everyone think about the pay?

How may trips do you think a cabin crew member would make in a 28 day roster?

chicken or fish 2
6th Jun 2008, 10:47
Good post r3please.....It will be interesting to find out who will take/reject the job offers over the next few months....

Any word on the medicals?? Training dates (August???)
Anyone know more??

chicken or fish 2
7th Jun 2008, 23:48
I have a feeling the recruitment process will be moving very quickly over the next few weeks.....

So good luck to Galaxy girl, I just want to fly, jimmyroo, rocketscience, Dixons Son (your mate), Vozz and Lola M.:D

I also got the "pay" email and all my refernces have been checked....

Fingers crossed everyone....I look forward to hearing about the next stage.

chicken or fish 2
8th Jun 2008, 00:16
Thanks for that r3please....

There was no information on the layover times but they did hint at 48hours during my interview process but others have been told 24 hours.

Has anyone else heard anything?

chicken or fish 2
11th Jun 2008, 23:05
Don't forget applications close on the 15th of June 2008 for V Australia cabin crew.................I've also heard of new dates for VRD's coming up in July....

Good luck everyone!

chicken or fish 2
12th Jun 2008, 13:05
I just read in The Australian Newspaper......

"Meanwhile, Merrill Lynch aviation gurus suggest Virgin can avoid the need for an equity raising if it defers or cancels plane orders. It raises the prospect of Virgin cancelling some, or all, of the Boeing 777s on order. The planes -- estimated to be worth $115 million apiece -- are pivotal to the launch of the offshore arm, V Australia, in December;"

Doesn't sound too good...but my gut feeling says it will go ahead......they have already invested so much money!

sapolski
13th Jun 2008, 01:40
Hey guys,

I have been reading the posts and have noted that apparently the pay will be $37,500 base. Is there an hourly rate for every hour your in the air as well? When i was with Emirates we had base pay plus flight pay. I am supposed to be attending a VRD on 1st July but considering the pay is so low i am now trying to decide if it's worth it. I have noted that no one has mentioned flight pay. Sorry if it seems like a stupid question but can someone clarify this for me??:confused:

sapolski
13th Jun 2008, 02:04
Wow, that is unbelievable. How are people expected to live on such a low wage especially in Sydney? It's disappointing to see Virgin offer such poor conditions especially seeing that being a FA is not the easiest job.

chicken or fish 2
13th Jun 2008, 06:46
From the Australian Newspaper......

"V Australia - the international arm of Virgin Australia - selected the 777-300ER last year and will take delivery of its first of 15 in November to launch services to the US."

So they still have 5 months!

DJCCGuy
13th Jun 2008, 07:03
I wouldn't necessarily believe everything you read there...for starters we aren't getting 15 aircraft, only 7 have been ordered at this stage.

r3please
13th Jun 2008, 07:20
7 confirmed and 6 options but thats still only 13 aircraft. The press always makes mistakes on aviation stories, especially The Australian :ugh:

chicken or fish 2
13th Jun 2008, 07:33
I agree with you DJCCGuy but....

I thought there were "13" 777-300ER's on order for V Australia.
- 3 due late 2008
- 3 due early 2009
- 1 on lease for late 2009
- and 6 more on order for an "option" basis

That being said they would need 13+ aircraft to go to LA and the following rumoured desinations:
- San Fransisco
- Seattle
- Las Vegas
- New York
- Shanghai
- Hong Kong
- Singapore
- Beijing

V Australia still have 5 months to work things out so "fingers crossed" for everyone (including me)....they are not slowing down the recruiting process so that's a good sign.

DJCCGuy
13th Jun 2008, 08:52
The recruitment process wont be slowing down...they're about to start interviewing for a/c number 3!

Bring on a BNE base ASAP!!!

chicken or fish 2
13th Jun 2008, 10:09
That's GOOD NEWS DJCCGuy!!
Bring on a Brisbane and Melbourne base....I heard some of the training would be in Brisbane!!

Red Baron
14th Jun 2008, 11:12
Have just finished reading all 9 pages and have found the info really good guys & girls, many thanks. :)

I can see what people mean about the pay but this seems to be the industry standard these days. Don't get me started on QCCA and what GD did over at QF! :*

The wages to me don't sound that bad (I'd still be taking a wage cut!) when you have room to move up the ladder a lot faster than at QF, correct me if I'm wrong please.

Things ain't looking to good with our White Kangaroo carrier at the moment as the Licensed Engineers have had enough of 12 years @ 3%. They are requesting a 5% pay increase to which GD is refusing! I've been watching this dispute from the 'Tarmac' with much interest, no doub't V Australia would be watching also. For more info just type in the search box 'ALAEA'.

I too would need to commute from interstate as I have no desire in living in SYD, nice place to visit but not to live in thanks!

I have also applied to VA and to date haven't heard anything more. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing until such time as going by the $$$ amounts offered by VA I'm far better off staying where I am.

Again thanks for all the great info that people have posted, very informative.

chicken or fish 2
14th Jun 2008, 12:27
Best of luck Red Baron.

Applications for the next round close tomorrow so I'm sure you and others will be invited to a VRD very soon.......the rest of us are waiting for the "medical email".

Good luck to everyone waiting...I'm sure we will all hear something in the next few weeks...Can you believe there are only 7 weeks until the first Ground Schools for V Australia start! :D

I Just Want To Fly
17th Jun 2008, 06:50
aaaaaaaaaaaaaagggghhhh!
The waiting is intolerable!
Why are we slaves to the eternal black hole which is airline recruitment in Australia!

chicken or fish 2
17th Jun 2008, 07:27
You have been waiting a lot longer than most of us "I just want to fly" so well done.

I was told the first Ground School for V Australia would start at the beginning of August through to October.......and thats only 45 DAYS away!!!!!!!!

They need 260 cabin crew for the start up, so I'm sure we will hear something very very soon!

Good luck to everyone waiting and those of you have VRD's coming up in July.:D

chicken or fish 2
17th Jun 2008, 08:49
Thanks airbornesoon...I've also taken your good advice from another post in which you said "The best thing I ever did for myself during the recruitment process was just assume it's in the bag. If not with this airline then another..." :E

chicken or fish 2
17th Jun 2008, 23:27
Congratulations on getting through to a VRD day ek412Syd :D.....I'm not EK crew but I think it will be a tough choice to leave the pay and benefits of Emirates. On the plus side V Australia will have huge growth over the next few years so crew will be promoted quickly.

I found the VRD to be really enjoyable and the recruiters were great...I felt very relaxed from the moment I walked in the door. The day is pretty full on but it's done in a way that brings out your best......GOOD LUCK

I Just Want To Fly
18th Jun 2008, 02:59
Airbornsoon: What do you mean?

I currently fly for a major long haul airline based out of LHR.

Airline recruitment over here seems to move along so much faster than back home in Oz. I just wonder why that is...

ChixOrFish: I have been waiting ages... LOL!
I was at the first ever V-Oz recruitment day!

emirates girl
18th Jun 2008, 03:21
Hello- I'm going for an emirates AC this sat in melb and am very excited but as it gets sooner and sooner I'm stressing about living in Dubai. I have applied for V Australia but don't know a soul in Syd and really dont want to live there, at least with Emirates they organise accommodation etc. Does anyone know about a base starting bris at all? Also when would the AC invites be coming out? I'm going to Thailand on a hol from 30/6-10/7..........I don't want to miss out!!

chicken or fish 2
19th Jun 2008, 04:53
Welcome Mud76.....You should hear something soon...they usually contact you 2-3 weeks after the VRD with the "reference check email".....so no news is good news...

Most of us are waiting for the "medical email"...some have been waiting for over 2 months!!!!!

So my advice is to check your emails daily and log onto pprune just to take the edge off waiting!

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted on how you go.

chicken or fish 2
21st Jun 2008, 00:30
EK412Syd.......With Virgin Blue you can't be in two recruitment processess at the same time (eg Virgin Blue and V Australia). I think it is because they spend so much time and money on the recruitment process and only one airline is going to get you. So you have to choose between the two. They would cancel the V Australia application only because you are now in the Virgin Blue recruitment process.....

But V Australia are looking for 280 cabin crew for late 2008 and another 80+ cabin crew for early 2009 when the next a/c arrives. So you could always transfer (not sure what the time limit is?) to V Australia next year....

Well done for getting through the day.....Good luck

wings girl
22nd Jun 2008, 23:34
Argh!!!!
I've an interview on the 1st July in SYD!!!
Can anyone give me any tips? Who do I need to impress?
What are the crew like?......so nervous!!!

wings girl
24th Jun 2008, 05:55
thanks chicken or fish,

what does each one involve?
could you be more specific in what I should prepare for?

particularly the role play and interview?

thanks
wingsgirl

iwannaflyla
24th Jun 2008, 23:31
I heard from someone else I work with that is also going for V Australia they are sending out the emails this week for the medical notices... if you have passed to this stage for V Australia! I can hardly wait! The final offers will be made in mid July so this gives us 2 weeks to get our medicals done.

Does anyone know when they are measuring our height or is it not an issue? I am about 1.5cms too short!

chicken or fish 2
24th Jun 2008, 23:48
That's great news...............Good good luck to Galaxy girl, I just want to fly, jimmyroo, rocketscience, Dixons Son (your mate), Vozz, Mud 76, Iwannaflyla and others who are waiting!

Let us know if you hear anything this week!

iwannaflyla
25th Jun 2008, 00:14
Good luck to you as well. Fingers crossed we will have that notice tomorrow or early Friday morning and be able to book this in!

Do you know when they measure our height?

chicken or fish 2
25th Jun 2008, 00:51
Mmmmm....not to sure about height restrictions??

Maybe post in the Virgin Blue section for a quick answer from someone who will know the details.

GOOD LUCK.....I'll be checking my emails on the hour this week...lol:E

flyer_18-737
25th Jun 2008, 01:02
They might measure you if you look like you are in Year 5 or so..

iwannaflyla
25th Jun 2008, 01:12
I hope they pass on this step. I was worried they might do this in the medical!

iwannaflyla
25th Jun 2008, 06:38
I also heard from a Virgin Atlantic captain they are finding it very hard to get captains and are short on crew and are running another recruitment day early July! This is a good sign for us that are at the medical stage!

chicken or fish 2
25th Jun 2008, 06:45
That's very good news for us Iwannaflyla.....

I think a few people on this thread have a VRD on the 1st of July....Thanks for your information. It makes they waiting a lot easier.....:D

Do anyone know when the Ground Schools start?
Will they be in Sydney or Brisbane or both??

iwannaflyla
25th Jun 2008, 07:23
Not to sure what date exactly the ground school starts. They are going to be sending out emails of offer from 15 July so I would say it would be around 15 September. Training will be in Sydney... I read this in one of the original communications from them.... I think it is 8 weeks.....

chicken or fish 2
26th Jun 2008, 05:02
I've been checking my emails all day...ha ha

Maybe tomorrow!! Good luck everyone

iwannaflyla
26th Jun 2008, 05:09
yes me too! They said the end of the week (this could be today but prob tommorrrow.... usually I have gotten emails from V Australia around 12:30 - 2:30pm (Apart from 1 email that come in at 8am!) So in saying this we should know by around 3ish tomorrow afternoon..... I am getting excited! Has anyone had an email to say they did not pass the reference checks?

chicken or fish 2
26th Jun 2008, 10:29
Hey guys....

I've just been told there is a huge billboard in Brisbane advertising V Australia Brisbane to LA direct starting in February 2009. Good news for those who would like a Brisbane Base.

I also heard a new Sydney to NY route for late 2009.

And new rumoured destinations include Vancouver, India, China, Paris and London Via Singapore.

How exciting.....I hope we all hear something tomorrow....and a big thank-you to Iwannaflyla for your post on the medical email.....I won't be able to sleep tonight.:D

chicken or fish 2
26th Jun 2008, 12:18
I think "I read this in one of the original communications from them" from Iwannaflyla was only referring to the where the training would take place not the other information in the post.

iwannaflyla
26th Jun 2008, 22:53
yes the 8 weeks training was mentioned at the recruitment day. One of the original emails had something about the training base being in Sydney... I can try and find it as I saved all my emails and post on here.
The training starting in August was also mentioned in my recruitment day as they asked ifI had any holidays booked ect ect...

I Just Want To Fly
26th Jun 2008, 23:23
wannaflyla, this email you are waiting on today.... Is this the one that tells you you got through the VRD, or is it the medical invite email? or something else?

iwannaflyla
27th Jun 2008, 00:41
it is the email re the medical.... they are due to be sent out today!

iwannaflyla
27th Jun 2008, 04:05
Congrats... not yet for me! Hopefully I will get it this afternoon!

Are the medicals in Sydney? Does it say where they are and how much they cost?

chicken or fish 2
27th Jun 2008, 05:41
Congratulations Mud76.....I'm so happy for you!!!

I'm still waiting to hear back....I've been checking my email every hour like a madman!!

Your rumour was spot on (re:medical email) Iwannaflyla......well done on keeping us informed!:D

Fingers crossed for everyone.

I Just Want To Fly
27th Jun 2008, 06:51
Still waiting for mine too xxx eek!

Mud76: did you go for FM/CL or CC?

iwannaflyla
27th Jun 2008, 07:03
funny that no one else has gotten one! Does someone wanna call and ask them? I am to scared!

chicken or fish 2
27th Jun 2008, 07:09
I'm sure we will all get an email over the weekend or on Monday!!
We have all waited so long!!!!! I can't wait to find out.

Has anyone else heard???

chicken or fish 2
27th Jun 2008, 22:56
Wings Girl has a VRD on the 1st of July with V Australia so they may wait until this is over before they contact us. I know the plan was to have all the VRD's and then contact people.....

Good luck Wings girl...make sure you let us know how you go....V Australia should give you updated information on the day as most of us had our VRD months ago.

I'm interested to find out:
- Ground School start dates (start of August - October?)
- Ground School base (Sydney and Brisbane?)
- Layover period in LA (24 or 48 hours?)
- New routes (Sydney to LA and............)

chicken or fish 2
29th Jun 2008, 02:22
From what I can gather from the previous posts there are around 10 of us waiting for the "medical email"......I Just want to Fly has been waiting the longest (over 3 months!!!!!!).......Good luck everyone!

I Just Want To Fly
30th Jun 2008, 00:24
Oooh it's all very intriguing!

I'm sure Mud76 has better things to do with his/her life than make up stories about receiving emails from an airline. That would be truely pathetic, purile and down right stupid! I would be surprised if someone like this had not been weeded out during the interview process, so I'm sure there is a simple explanation to all of this, and soon all will be revealed.

Good luck to everyone, I've stopped holding my breath, if there is a VRD tomorrow, then prob no medical emails till they know exactly how many of the guys/gals tomorrow are progressing through. I've got a trip tomorrow, thank god, haven't worked in two weeks so I can forget about all this for few days!

chicken or fish 2
30th Jun 2008, 08:56
I read the posts this morning (they have since been removed)...I haven't read anything like that for months......loved it........good on you guys!:D

Just heard about another V Australia Cabin Crew VRD on the 9th of July in Brisbane......and the 16th of July in Melbourne.

Good luck for this week guys.....I hope we all get the "medical email".

Everytime I've opened my INBOX this week my heart has skipped a beat! ha ha

KittyBlue
1st Jul 2008, 10:54
Some DJ crews have been advised of the medical.... thou no date or location has been advised.

This will be a very slow and logical process the HR department will be taking. Just breath in and out!

Good luck to those who applied.

chicken or fish 2
1st Jul 2008, 11:34
Thanks for the update KittyBlue......keep us posted...

chicken or fish 2
3rd Jul 2008, 06:43
How did everyone go at the V Australia VRD on the 1st of July?

I'd love to hear the updated information on training dates, bases, layovers, new destinations etc?

And I'm sure others would like to hear some tips for the VRD..

Good luck to the others going on the 9th of July..

FAIRY LIGHTS
3rd Jul 2008, 10:17
Hi,i was there.Big line up,everyone was great.Ileft feeling i had nailed it but as time gos by(2 days) im thinking of all the oppertunities i had to say more & didnt.I knew more about the airline(& other things) but alas...i said nothing.idiot.Only wish i could wake up & start again.:uhoh: They had another RD on the wednesday, then up to Bris.No more news that you dont already know.Good luck to all who were there on Tues.You all looked the part anyway.

chicken or fish 2
3rd Jul 2008, 10:34
Welcome Fairy Lights......I know how you feel but to get through the elimination round is GOOD NEWS!

It's been up to 3+ months of waiting for most of us and this thread has been great.

I'm suprised that there was no more information given on the day...I thought they may have mentioned Ground School dates? We were told months ago they start in early August (that's less than 4 WEEKS away:ugh:!!)...Is that what they told you guys?

Anyway keep us posted and let us know how you go...I wish you the best of luck.

FAIRY LIGHTS
3rd Jul 2008, 11:24
Yes , still the same info, beginning of august through to october 08.Where are you on the ladder of dreams? Are you waiting for your medical e-mail ?

FAIRY LIGHTS
3rd Jul 2008, 11:39
Not hard to tell im new to this.ive found the answers i had asked previous.Good luck to you chicken or fish you seem to be always in the loop.:)

chicken or fish 2
3rd Jul 2008, 11:53
Maybe stlll having the August start date is good news for all of us.

Yes....I'm waiting on my "medical email"....hopefully you won't have to wait as long us....Keep us posted on your progress. You should hear from them in about 2 weeks with a "next stage congratulations" or "thanks but no thanks". I wish you the best of luck.

I'm sure we will all hear something soon and remember no news is good news.

iwannaflyla
4th Jul 2008, 00:33
I have some information. First ground school starts mid August but is in Brisbane so Brissy people will be contacted soon with dates ect ect. They are out of the office this week and will be back Friday (I think) the delay in getting the emails out re the medical is due to the huge number of people they are employing. If you are at the waiting stage you can call them and they will let you know if you have passed. She did mention to me that if I had not made it through I would have known via email by now (if you were on one of the original VRD's) Sydney ground school starts 15 September for 6-7 weeks and there are 11 ground schools for Sydney planned.

I had a friend go for the recruitment day in Sydney on Tuesday 2nd July and she mentioned that a lot got through.... there was about 1/3 out of my day that made it so maybe they are relaxing the rules a little due to numbers.

If you need to know what is happening they are more than helpful when you call them and it eased my mind!

iwannaflyla
4th Jul 2008, 01:27
Qld move for V Australia

Virgin Blue's trans-Pacific V Australia offshoot has just announced the further expansion of flights between Australia and Los Angeles, with the 01 Mar 09 debut of services from Brisbane to the USA.

Three flights per week will operate using V Australia's Beoing 777-300ER aircraft.

More information in today's Travel Daily.

chicken or fish 2
4th Jul 2008, 02:13
I'm so glad you are keeping us in the loop Iwannflyla.......

The Brisbane Base news is hot off the press....Sale starts at 2pm for $1234 return ecc (including tax)....it's not even on the VAustralia website yet!!!

Jetstream-Surfer
4th Jul 2008, 07:02
Very exciting news about the launch of the Brissy-LA route.

Internal friend heard that the first course will be at the beginning of September in Brisbane and and Sydney course will closely follow. However most remaining courses will be in Sydney.

Although there will be Brissy-LA flights as well as the SYD-LAX, there will not be a base initially in BNE, just SYD...,but the aim is to have a BNE base as well. I suppose crew doing a BNE_LAX trip will do a positioning sector from SYD-BNE but I think that they will have to nightstop in Brissy because otherwise they will run out of duty hours...,so it could be a lovely trip!!! I heard at interview the trip should involve 48 hours there, so if you save your allowances and dont splash out on designer clothes, the money will be OK for most. Sydney cost of living is an issue but I for one am going to find a group of crew on my VA course ( thinking positive, I WILL get the job!) to share accommodation with to make it cheaper, until I get the discount on VB so I can commute.

I heard too that they might do NZ flights so that the aircraft in SYD isnt sitting on the ground all day after it gets in from LA, 'cause it gets in around 9 am into SYD and doesnt go back out to LA until almost 13 hours later....,aeroplanes on the ground don't make money!!

I think next week or 2 will be the longest wait for us all, we should find out/be offered a contract within the next couple of weeks!

Good luck all!

I Just Want To Fly
4th Jul 2008, 07:03
My flat mate is currently training with VB, they are using the new facilities in SYD which are intended for V-Oz. According to trainers here in SYD, first Ground School for SYD will be 01SEP.

Just flew with a few crew who applied for FM/CL. They all received phone calls last week about their medicals, but they all live in BNE, so maybe this thing about the first courses being in BNE is right, and they are contacting those people first.

Anyway, good luck to everyone. and thanks for keeping us all updated...

Oh and also, my flat mate said that the trainers told him V-Oz has applied for SYD-NRT and SYD-JNB, which will be nice, on top of all the other planned routes. Virgin Atlantic is increasing it's frequency for LHR-HKG, and is considering pulling out of SYD, which would be perfect for V-Oz to take over the route, but still offer a Virgin product on the SYD-LHR route., and a SYD-SIN-LHR! All rumours of course, but still exciting!

iwannaflyla
4th Jul 2008, 07:15
Just got the following update email...

A quick update on the status of your application.
Last time we emailed you we sent you information regarding the salary and benefits for the different roles.
Today we wanted to give you an update regarding the medical stage. We recently commenced progressing some of our candidates to medical and we will be progressing Candidates in stages over July, August and September. Progression to medical is aligned to the training school start dates, therefore, not all candidates will be progressed at the same time, so we ask for your continued patience whilst we work through everyone's application.
Once again, we appreciate your patience during this time, should you have any questions please feel free to contact us at
We will be in touch soon,
Kind regards
V Australia Airlines Pty Ltd
www.vaustralia.com.au (http://www.vaustralia.com.au/)

I Just Want To Fly
4th Jul 2008, 07:28
Just got the same one!!! :ugh:

chicken or fish 2
4th Jul 2008, 08:08
Me too!:D

Jetstream- Surfer and Iwannaflyla - Thanks for your information.

speedbirdhouse
5th Jul 2008, 02:49
The ER/LR would but ETOPS would be an issue I imagine.

DJCCGuy
5th Jul 2008, 08:25
It's interesting to note that when making a booking to LAX from any other Virgin Blue port other than SYD and requiring the connecting domestic sector, when clicking on the flight number it states that a meal is INCLUDED on the domestic sector also ... this is the case right through all the months currently available to book.

Perhaps a new level of service to be offered onboard DJ domestic to align it with the level of service to be offered to connecting Guest's who are booking full service features on V Australia? ... or perhaps an error ... in which case they had better fix it quick or pax will be expecting what we can't give on domestic DJ!

I Just Want To Fly
5th Jul 2008, 12:56
Good luck doing a full meal service on your Canberra-Sydney flight! LOL!

AirborneSoon
5th Jul 2008, 22:31
Qantas do the same when they codeshare with Jetstar. The pax gets a free meal....albeit a Jetstar meal. They are still the same (only if you pay for it) with their regular Jetstar pax.

chicken or fish 2
6th Jul 2008, 23:55
The cabin crew recruitment days for V this month include:
1st July...................Sydney
2nd July..................Sydney
3rd July..................Sydney
8th July..................Brisbane
9th July...................Brisbane
16th July.................Melbourne
22nd July.................Sydney
5th August...............Brisbane
20th August.............Sydney

I think it will be at least 2 weeks until people start to get the medical email:{

Cabin Crew Wanabe
8th Jul 2008, 03:33
Would love to hear everything you know about the industry. Am shortly attending a VRD day for V and don't know whats going to take place, what they are going to ask even how I should have my hair or what clothes to wear. :ugh:
Any information you have would be fantastic!:ok:
Look forward to hearing from you.
Cabin Crew Wanabe

iwannaflyla
8th Jul 2008, 03:54
if you check back a few pages a detailed description of each part of the day has been listed.

Where is your VRD at?

Good luck:)

Cabin Crew Wanabe
8th Jul 2008, 03:57
Its in Sydney. Of course like a lot of people have not got the confirmation as to where it is being held as yet.
Actually it would be a huge help if you could let me know specifically in regards to the interview. Do you remember questions that you have been asked in the past?

chicken or fish 2
9th Jul 2008, 11:11
Does anyone know if V Australia are currently recruiting for MELBOURNE based cabin crew?

I heard a rumour but I'm not sure if it's true!

Has anyone heard about a Melbourne base for late 2009?

chicken or fish 2
14th Jul 2008, 08:55
Good luck to those going to the V Australia VRD's over the next few weeks....I know there is one on Wednesday the 16th of July in Melbourne and one on the 5th of August in Brisbane.

Does anyone know of more VRD dates? (because I think we will get our "medical emails" as soon as the VRD's have finished...YIPPEE):D

I've also heard some Virgin Blue internals have been offered positions so it looks as if the ball is starting to roll...slowly!!

wirgin blew
15th Jul 2008, 22:25
chicken or fish 2 : where did you get that one from? Haven't heard or read anything about MEL at all.

chicken or fish 2
16th Jul 2008, 03:14
It was wishful thinking Wirgin Blue!!!! lol

I remember reading V Australia's first press release months and months ago stating they would make new announcements in regards to new destinations and bases....Brisbane was announced a few weeks ago so I thought Melbourne might be next?

I asked the question because I read some wannabe's saying they were applying for V Australia Melbourne Base but I they must have meant they were having a V Australia interview in Melbourne for a Sydney base!:ugh:

I think Melbourne would be a great base for late 2009....time will tell.

Breeza
16th Jul 2008, 06:19
Do you think V Oz will launch a Perth Base? :confused:

I put in an expression of interest and Perth base was an option sooooo what you guys think? Do you think they are just guaging the response? Or have one planned for the future? Annnnnnd If they have one planned for the future do you think near or farrrrrrrrrrr future?

Bree.

chicken or fish 2
16th Jul 2008, 07:38
There was a rumour V Australia may be flying to Perth from Sydney during the day (so the plane wasn't just wasting money on the ground). This could be the reason for the Perth option??? Not sure...

Bree......Were there other Base options such as Melbourne?

PS.....Did anyone go to the V Australia VRD today or in the last few weeks? How did you go?

Breeza
16th Jul 2008, 08:06
I just went back into the application and there were no base options :hmm:

I swear I though I selected a pref base when I initially did my app... I'm prob just VERY confused... too many apps happening! argh! lol :rolleyes:

Bree.

r3please
16th Jul 2008, 08:29
I don't think there was a base option but the application did ask if you would be prepared to move at the companies discrection, standard application stuff.

The aircraft will be on the ground for long enough in Sydney to do a Perth or Auckland return so likely to be utilised on this route. I think its highely unlikely they will open a Perth crew base anytime soon. Doing so would just introduce extra costs into the equation. Sydney crew would be used for the return trips.

Fingers x'ed for you.

I Just Want To Fly
16th Jul 2008, 11:40
I completely forgot to post that I met two of the trainers at V-Australia last weekend. They are both currently with DJ, and one was previously with VS. They will be trainers but also flying as FMs. Both very nice, they have only just done their medicals!

Anyway, back to routes...

I think VA is keen to keep ops as an international airline, and doing a SYD-PER would be taking business away from DJ. Where as if the operated trans tasman SYD-AKL services, it would not. I think Pac Blue only flies AKL-BNE, so would not be in direct competion.

A very good route to consider though would be a PER-LHR service, simply due to the massive number of Pohms living in PER. I know VS is considering it, when they finally get the new 787s. not sure if the 777er would make it all the way, or would have to refuel in DXB or somewhere...

I think it will be a good 5 years before a PER base would even be glanced at, let alone actually considered. Let's remember, none of us even have the job yet, only a handfull have even done the medicals, the planes aren't flying yet, regulatory approval is still pending, there are only two routes on sale, and the inaugral flight still has heaps of seats left!

Anyway, good luck to everyone, happy flying, happy waiting.....:ok:

chicken or fish 2
18th Jul 2008, 07:09
With all the doom and gloom of today (job cuts, oil prices etc) I was happy to find out V Australia are training the pilots on the 29 July 2008.

V Australia have also been recruiting HEAVILY for cabin crew (with over 7 VRD's this month alone)....

So I think even with the doom and gloom around us V Australia still looks like it is going ahead. Well done to everyone playing the waiting game. The wait will be worth it. Good luck everyone....

MAX
18th Jul 2008, 18:23
If it helps....

Junior First Officers have been training since May.

The first Senior F/O course starts shortly.

CC can be put on courses in much larger numbers than the pilots so less need to start them asap.

MAX:cool:

chicken or fish 2
21st Jul 2008, 06:27
V Australia are doing another round of cabin crew VRD's. Applications close 24th of August 2008.......So the good news is the airline looks like it WILL go ahead in these troubled times and the bad news is we will be waiting a lot longer:ugh:

DJCCGuy
21st Jul 2008, 10:30
clearly they're not getting the numbers they want with yet another opening for cc recruitment... perhaps the ridiculously low salary should be increased to something more realistic, especially if they expect crew to be based in SYD

iwannaflyla
21st Jul 2008, 12:21
I am really surprised they are making the rest of us wait considering they are so desperate for people (clearly if they keep opening the VRD process) they should move those who are waiting along and get us through before we find another job!
Is anyone else getting sick of the wait??

chicken or fish 2
22nd Jul 2008, 06:41
I agree....

There are around 13+ of us on this forum STILL waiting. The longest wait has been from I Just Want to Fly....(over 3 and a half months..):ugh:....

Others include Cherry...Airborne Soon...Galaxy Girl...Jimmyroo...Rocketscience...Dixons-Sons
(friend)..Vozz...DJCCGuy...Wings Girl...Iwannaflyla...
Chicken or Fish 2.....

Anyone else waiting??

wingswest
22nd Jul 2008, 08:44
Don't worry guys...,it can't be too long now! With just around 5 weeks to go to the first course, the job offers would surely have to be out shortly to give those already working enough time to give their current employers 4 weeks notice.

chicken or fish 2
22nd Jul 2008, 09:32
Good news Wingswest.....thanks for the hot tip!

It will be very exciting when we all start to get "THE" email!

maeson
22nd Jul 2008, 11:56
Hi All...

So all those waiting for an answer. Have you all done your medicals. ect...

I have just done the MEL VRD last week and i got a email today saying i have made it past the VRD but not to get my hopes up as 'you may be unsuccessful at any time'.

Good luck everyone...

M

chicken or fish 2
23rd Jul 2008, 06:24
Welcome to the forum Maeson.....Congratulations on getting through to the next stage..What they will do now is your reference checks (my referees told me they were very detailed!) and then you will just have to wait for the medical email....

As far as I know only internals have had medicals. V Australia emailed us a few weeks ago saying the medicals could place anytime over July (internals I think??), August or September. Good luck and let us know how you go!

PS...Just read "V Australia has filed an application to fly five services per week between Sydney and Johannesburg from October 2009". How exciting!!

DJCCGuy
23rd Jul 2008, 07:46
Have they said anything at the recruitment days on how the rosters will be built...like in regards to Available days, will yu get a roster full of them, or only some here and there...reason I ask is still considering the commuting option from BNE to SYD, however with the 90 minute call out time obviously wouldnt have enough time to commute down if called out, so would have to travel down to SYD every time on call, which will become quite costly...gosh so many uncertainties!

chicken or fish 2
23rd Jul 2008, 08:53
I hear you Dixsons-son but......I think it is exciting to hear that an airline is growing destinations and hiring cabin crew rather than closing them and sacking good people.

Other destinations for late 2009+ may include:
New York
Seattle
San Francisco
Vancouver
Las Vegas
India
Beijing
New Zealand
Paris
London via Singapore

I Just Want To Fly
23rd Jul 2008, 09:18
I said this about JNB agaes ago... who was it who said that the 777 couldn't make it to JNB? Well you are wrong, it is not rumour or galley fm!:ouch:

here is the article

http://www.travelweekly.com.au/dirplus/images/travelweekly/TravelTodayPDF/23_07_2008.pdf

chicken or fish: can't wait to meet you one day. you are so ontop of everything and so passionate! xxx

trolly dolly
24th Jul 2008, 03:18
hi all, ive been following all the posts from the start! all very interesting and helpful!

I had my VRd in sydney in may and just this morning was contacted to do my medical before the end of the month (the 1st of august)!

so keep your fingers crossed everyone, you should be hearing soon!:ok:

chicken or fish 2
24th Jul 2008, 06:43
Welcome to the forum Trolly Dolly....that's great news. I'm so happy for you. You are so lucky to be one of the first...I bet your heart skipped a beat.

Just 2 quick questions to keep everyone in the loop.
1. Are you internal VB staff?
2. Were you contacted by email or did you get a phone call?

I Just want to fly...when we meet I'm going to give you a huge gold medal for "The Longest Wait Ever" lol....I'm so happy to hear people are getting the "medical" alert.:D

iwannaflyla
24th Jul 2008, 07:54
It would be interesting to meet everyone and put a face to the messages! Soon,....

Congrats on getting your medical notice!

Hope it won't be long for the rest of us...

trolly dolly
24th Jul 2008, 10:22
answers to you questions;

1. am i an internal virgin applicant?
no, i am an external applicant, but i fly for a domestic airline now, not sure if that has anything to do with it but!
maybe they are starting with people who have flown before??? maybe this will speed up the training process?? who knows!

2. did they ring or email?
Both! first a guy from virgin rang explaining that i had been successful to the next round which is the medicals, then about an hour later i recieved the email explaining everything!

i think you will all start to hear soon, especially if they need them done by the end of month!
good luck all!:)

chicken or fish 2
24th Jul 2008, 10:35
Thanks Trolly Dolly....Your news has made me very happy. I'm soooooo looking forward to getting that phone call. I'll be jumping everytime my phone rings. lol YIPPEE!

iwannaflyla
24th Jul 2008, 11:06
Yes me too! I had my VRD in June and hopefully will start training mid Septemeber in Sydney! I am now going to be watching my phone every second just in case!

chicken or fish 2
25th Jul 2008, 06:39
Anyone get a phone call or medical email today?

I didn't...Maybe next week?

runway 25
25th Jul 2008, 10:26
Hey everyone,

According to an email from V recruitment, those who have been thru the medicals already will start recieving job offers next week. The first 10 training schools starting on Sept 1st, with group 10 starting in November.
Exciting times... Good Luck all!

chicken or fish 2
25th Jul 2008, 13:35
Thanks for the tip Runway 25.....this thread is going to take off with all the exciting news people will have over the next few weeks...Good luck everyone.

chicken or fish 2
25th Jul 2008, 23:18
Back in December 2007 the original V Australia plan was to:

1. Start the recruitment process in February with final interviews taking place in May. They must be finding it hard to find good people with over 7 extra VRD's in July and V are STILL advertising for more cabin crew. I think this is good news for those who have already had a VRD and those who are going to one in August/September.

2. Hire 260 cabin crew and approx 35% will be internal transfers from VB. So this means 91 positions will be internal and 169 will be externals. This is also good news for everyone.

Good luck to everyone waiting. Won't be long now!

iwannaflyla
26th Jul 2008, 07:55
Thank you to everyone with their updates! I keeps the spirts up knowing everyone else is waiting too!

Hopefully this week we will all hear.....

runway 25
27th Jul 2008, 03:17
For those coming from VB, rumour (yes not confirmed) but from a very reliable source in VB Management says Raj is heading to V as CC Manager.

Interesting times.............:ugh: