View Full Version : Airservices Australia Psychometric Testing

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Monique_
8th Sep 2015, 04:29
This place has so much good info!

RVL Roll congrats on the news. I received a phone call back in may also to say that I have got the job... no email though. My online status is complete medical. However... still waiting instruction to complete medical. Has anyone else got start dates for 2016? I wish they would give us all a little bit of info. Especially if there are delays. Oh well I guess we just play the waiting game

RVL Roll
9th Sep 2015, 09:22
Hi Monique,

On the phone I told start date for Melbourne was around 19 Sep 2016. Where have you been posted? Congrats

Torque Effect
10th Sep 2015, 08:49
Hey everyone,
First time poster here. I've applied for the Airservices Australia In Training Program. I am coming up to the online ability testing part. They told me they will progress me through to this stage when I've sent them a copy of my Commerical Pilot's Licence. It's still being processed and might take 2-3 weeks until I receive it.
I am aware of the Verbal Reasoning, Numerical Reasoning, Spatial Reasoning, Calculations and Checking tests that i have to go through and practiced them thoroughly. However, does anyone know what kind of time limits they give you for the tests and how many questions are available. The numerous practice tests I've taken can give me anywhere from 5 minutes a question to 60 seconds a question? Are they difficult?
Thanks!

VanillaCoke
12th Sep 2015, 17:02
Hey Torque Effect,

The time limits vary for each test.
For Verbal Reasoning I got about 15-20 minutes for 30 questions. You get about 4-5 questions for each paragraph they make you read, but you don't really have time to read it again so make sure you read it properly the first time.
Numerical is probably the 2nd hardest test. You get about a minute per question, 20 or so total. You just need to focus and try not to spend too much time on a question, if it's taking too long, just make a guess and move on.
Calculation is the most time restrained one. It has different stages but luckily has a break in-between each one. It moves from giving you 11 seconds per question to just 6 seconds per question at the last stage, and has about 5 questions per stage.
The Checking test is also pretty stressful and you only get a few seconds to find the matching number or letter sequence. 25 questions total if I remember correctly.
And finally the Spatial Ability test is the one I found to be the hardest. You get less than a minute per question which is tough when you have to go through every one of the answer options and check them with the shown figure. Again, make sure you don't spend too much time on one question. It has 20-25 questions.

I'd say they are all somewhat difficult. If you did quite well in maths in high school, you should be alright though. I think most people would probably find the Calculation one to be the hardest since you have to calculate very fast.

However, before you start each test they tell you exactly how many questions there will be and how much time you have. They also give you practice questions that you can choose to do or skip. I strongly recommend doing them since some of the tests are different from the practice ones they have on the website. Calculation being the most different since the practice one on the website is like the numerical test with a total time limit, rather than a limit on each question

With the practice tests included, you're looking at about 3 hours total for the whole thing so make sure you have that much time available and no distractions before starting. You can't stop it and resume at a later time. It's all in one go. Also apparently there can be problems loading the questions if you use Internet Explorer. So I recommend using another browser like Chrome.

Good luck!

mdk2015
15th Sep 2015, 20:58
Hi Everyone

Seeing those that sat their assessment day between May - September 2015, and passed. If you have herd anything further from HR?

Just seeing if anyone has been put on a course or told to do medical etc.

I understand we are looking at next year for course intake. It seems you get asked to do the medical closer to course start date from what I understand? Is that correct?

Just wanting to see where we might be at in the process.

Have a nice week

Torque Effect
20th Sep 2015, 10:27
Hey Vanillacoke,
Cheers for the detailed explanation on how the testing will go. I am feeling really confident for it. Just waiting for it to happen, but the applications only closed a week ago.
Calculations test sounds like a bit of a worry but hopefully ill pass it.
Hey Torque Effect,

The time limits vary for each test.
For Verbal Reasoning I got about 15-20 minutes for 30 questions. You get about 4-5 questions for each paragraph they make you read, but you don't really have time to read it again so make sure you read it properly the first time.
Numerical is probably the 2nd hardest test. You get about a minute per question, 20 or so total. You just need to focus and try not to spend too much time on a question, if it's taking too long, just make a guess and move on.
Calculation is the most time restrained one. It has different stages but luckily has a break in-between each one. It moves from giving you 11 seconds per question to just 6 seconds per question at the last stage, and has about 5 questions per stage.
The Checking test is also pretty stressful and you only get a few seconds to find the matching number or letter sequence. 25 questions total if I remember correctly.
And finally the Spatial Ability test is the one I found to be the hardest. You get less than a minute per question which is tough when you have to go through every one of the answer options and check them with the shown figure. Again, make sure you don't spend too much time on one question. It has 20-25 questions.

I'd say they are all somewhat difficult. If you did quite well in maths in high school, you should be alright though. I think most people would probably find the Calculation one to be the hardest since you have to calculate very fast.

However, before you start each test they tell you exactly how many questions there will be and how much time you have. They also give you practice questions that you can choose to do or skip. I strongly recommend doing them since some of the tests are different from the practice ones they have on the website. Calculation being the most different since the practice one on the website is like the numerical test with a total time limit, rather than a limit on each question

With the practice tests included, you're looking at about 3 hours total for the whole thing so make sure you have that much time available and no distractions before starting. You can't stop it and resume at a later time. It's all in one go. Also apparently there can be problems loading the questions if you use Internet Explorer. So I recommend using another browser like Chrome.

Good luck!

Snikeron
29th Sep 2015, 01:28
Anyone else here received their conditional offer for En Route 116 in January?
So glad to have finally received some confirmation after the "slight" wait.

SecretUsername
29th Sep 2015, 02:58
See you on day 1, Snikeron!

JB1991
29th Sep 2015, 10:09
Accepted my offer today for En Route course 116. See you guys in January! :O

I will be looking to rent a place around Essendon so if anyone is looking to get some shared accomodation PM me, maybe we can work something out.

TL85
30th Sep 2015, 11:05
Hi guys.

First time poster here just wondering if anyone is in the same position as me...
I applied for the ATC training position on Aug 25 but application is still sitting on "application received". I have read through a fair bit of this forum and understand it is a slow process but more just curious to see if there are others in my situation? Thanks!

TL

ATCapplicant1
1st Oct 2015, 00:05
Hi All

This thread has been an amazing source of info on the ATC application process, so thanks to all who have contributed. It's a very exciting process, but I understand that a lot of patience is necessary.

I thought I'd share my updates for anyone else who is interested particularly for this last intake which closed on 13 Sept.

Application (en route) submitted - 8 Sept 2015
Online cognitive testing completed - 14 Sept 2015
OPQ completed - 16 Sept 2015

Now I am waiting to see if I have made it through to the telephone interview. I wonder if anyone has had/booked a phone interview from this intake?

TL85
1st Oct 2015, 21:36
Hi ATCapplicant1,

Sorry can't help with your question, but was wondering what career/study background you come from? It looks as though your application was accepted straight away as you completed your online testing 6 days later. I have not had a response and it's been well over a month since my application. Just wondering if it has to do with previous qualifications/experience etc as to who gets put through to the next stage quicker?

Thanks.

Snikeron
2nd Oct 2015, 03:12
You'll find similar timelines across this thread, and I found them personally helpful in waiting and managing my expectations throughout the application process so thought I'd share mine:

19/10/14 - Application submitted
29/10/14 - Online Test
3/11/14 - Online Occupational Personality Quiz
13/11/14 - Phone Interview
17/11/14 - Received Assessment Centre invite
2/2/15 - Assessment Centre
9/2/15 - Received Reference Check advisory
30/3/15 - Reference Checks completed
19/6/15 - Verbal Offer (phone call); waiting on start date
29/9/15 - Conditional Offer (email/website); start medical & security checks
11/1/16 - Start Date

Patience is your best friend. Until you actually receive a decline somewhere along the process, keep waiting and occupy yourself!
All the best to other applicants out there :ok:

ATCapplicant1
3rd Oct 2015, 00:48
Snikeron - Thanks for sharing :ok: Although the timings seem to vary wildly for different people, it's still helpful to see examples of timelines. At least in the initial stages, your application seemed to progress quite quickly compared to others. Congrats on making it through!

TL85 - I have a Diploma in financial services and a 10 year work history, most recently in middle management (not related to aviation at all), I'm 29. I doubt it has anything to do with that though, as people from all backgrounds get in, as well as young people just out of high school. If you've satisfied the minimum criteria for citizenship and education, I would imagine you'd automatically get an invite for testing? It seems odd that your application is still in limbo. Maybe follow them up by email?

TL85
4th Oct 2015, 10:00
Hi ATCapplicant1,

Thanks for your reply. I have sent through an email to them so hopefully that might get them to review the status of my application or at least get them to provide some feedback if I haven't met the criteria. My only concern was that I have a trade qualification which only incorporates a Cert III.

Will let you know the outcome.

Cheers,

ATCapplicant1
7th Oct 2015, 00:48
Well, I got the call for the phone interview yesterday and had it on the same day. Unfortunately, nerves got the better of me (I haven't had to interview for a job in many years!) and I performed at a far less than ideal standard. Wish I had have been better prepared.

I checked the application status and it says "on hold for upcoming assessment centre" which sounds like a good sign, although I'm trying not to read too much into it to not get my hopes up.

The recruiter was very friendly and said the next assessment centre in Brisbane is end of November. Should find out for sure this week or next if I made it through to the AC. Good luck to all going through the process!

My timeline update:
Phone interview completed - 6 Oct 2015

pineappledaz
12th Oct 2015, 20:57
"on hold for upcoming assessment centre" is all sweeet. That just means you are through to the next stage and they will send an email at some stage with various dates to choose from for the next assessment, first in best dressed!

If you were nervous for the phone interview look up how to do a STAR interview and sit down with someone and get them to ask you some questions.

Most importantly be yourself, enjoy the day. Best of luck, it is a fantastic career (In NZ with Airways anyway)

ATCapplicant1
13th Oct 2015, 02:06
Thanks pineappledaz, I hope it does mean that I have a shot at the AC, haven't had confirmation just yet. And I'll definitely be doing some serious practice on STAR and behavioural interviews! Just having the opportunity to try on the day would surely be a very unique and interesting experience.
I have no doubt it's a fantastic and fulfilling career, I'm inspired to one day make it there :)

Seiran
13th Oct 2015, 06:24
Hey everyone, I applied in August I believe and just sat the online testing on the 9th of this month (due to be completed by the 11th). Looking forward to hearing my results and hopefully they turn out to be good.

Felt fairly confident with the maths based ones although it started to get a bit too hectic towards the end of the checking test and the cubes started to get a bit difficult in the spatial one.

How did everyone else find the tests?

Has anyone heard results so far?

TL85
14th Oct 2015, 11:10
Hi Seiran,

Good to hear you felt confident and good luck with the rest of the process. Can I ask, did you apply for En Route? If so, did you put Melbourne or Brisbane as your preference?
My application is still sitting on status of "Application received". I emailed and they replied with:
"At this time, applications are being reviewed in batches, and while I cannot confirm when review of your application will take place, please be assured that your application will be assessed in due course."
Hopefully my batch is coming up.

BroganATC
15th Oct 2015, 10:53
Hi Torque Effect,

I was just reading your post, you mention you've been doing practice tests for the Verbal Reasoning, Numerical Reasoning, Spatial Reasoning, Calculations and Checking tests, in preparation for the initial online test. I'm looking at applying for ATC when applications next open, and was just wondering from where you found these practice tests? Its been a while since I've been studying, just want to get my maths skills back up to speed. If you could point me in the direction of these tests that would be much appreciated!

All the best for your test!

Seiran
16th Oct 2015, 03:45
TL85,

I can't remember if I applied for En Route or tower as I would love to do either and I can't seem to view and adjust my application. Hopefully all goes well for your tests when they come around!

NZ_Guy
24th Oct 2015, 22:31
Now this may be a bit of a stupid question, I'm not sure...

From what I've read, when you apply you get to choose either en route or tower. How does this work in with people who aspire to work in a Terminal facility?

Would it be better to apply for one or the other, or is it completely separate and something which you could work towards from either employment stream?

le Pingouin
26th Oct 2015, 00:41
En route would probably be the way to go - vectoring skills and all that.

Corrvan
27th Oct 2015, 22:08
Bugger, made it through the aptitude testing, but failed at the personality test! Probably the part where I kept selecting "I trust people" as least because I'm a pilot and don't trust anything anyone says without verifying it myself first :p

Seiran
28th Oct 2015, 20:54
Uh-oh I kept selecting that I don't trust people in the personality test, have yet to get my results GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

ATCapplicant1
30th Oct 2015, 01:20
Got my AC invite on Tuesday! Booked in for 25 Nov in Brisbane :) Super excited! I have been practising my behavioural interview skills and doing the Lumosity brain training app, online practice tests and playing an ATC game. Other than that, I'm not sure what else to do to prepare. I might see if I am able to schedule a visit to the facility.

Everything has moved fairly quickly, I must have been lucky to be in the first batch of applications to be processed from this intake. To those awaiting results, hopefully it means that things will also be moving along for you too! :)

My timeline update:
Phone interview completed - 6 Oct 2015
Assessment Centre invite received - 27 Oct 2015
Assessment Centre - 25 Nov 2015

stampin8or
31st Oct 2015, 21:17
Hey all,

So after a long wait, I have been accepted into the January intake! I was originally scheduled to start in April, but I got the call that someone pulled out so I could start sooner. Nerve-wracking but exciting!

RedPhox
1st Nov 2015, 05:27
After a insane wait time I was informed a couple months ago that I will be starting in Melbourne in April and based in Melbourne. I'm trying to find some other people here that are starting then as well so that we don't know anyone when we start and skip that whole awkward getting to know each other stuff.

Hit me up if anyone is in next April,

RedPhox

Know I. Deer
1st Nov 2015, 10:02
Great news!

Had you already received the offer letter with instructions to get a medical and security checks for your April date, or was the info about April from an unofficial heads up and you were still waiting for the official nod?

OzShepherd
1st Nov 2015, 20:08
If anyone is starting enroute course 114 next week, is in Melbourne, and wants to catch up before we start, feel free to send me a message/email. Thanks.

RedPhox
1st Nov 2015, 22:37
I have received letter of offer, completed the medical check and sent off my security check. I'm just waiting for the 4th April to roll around to start.

Snikeron
3rd Nov 2015, 12:43
If the Nov course is Enroute 114, and the Jan course is Enroute 116 - what's happened to Enroute 115? :confused:

WhisprSYD
3rd Nov 2015, 21:57
enroute courses are always even numbers and tower courses are odd numbers. 115 will probably be the tower course starting the same day as enroute 114

Seiran
9th Nov 2015, 06:25
Have a phone interview coming up next week, anyone have any tips?

Lily64
11th Nov 2015, 07:16
Hi WhisprSYD,

The tower and en route courses don't really line up now - maybe they used to? I believe the next tower course is # 89 with a Feb start. So goodness knows where # 114 is...

Cheers,

Smoothsailing
11th Nov 2015, 08:30
Hi all,

I completed my online testing on the 2nd Oct and still haven't heard anything. I felt it went quite well. No invite for OPQ or unsuccessful email. My online status is still "Online testing completed".

Has anyone failed the online testing recently? How long did it take to hear? Please PM me.

Thanks!

Smoothsailing
11th Nov 2015, 09:39
Hi all

I completed my online testing on 2nd November and haven't received an invitation for OPQ or an email advising I was unsuccessful. I felt the testing went quite well...

I have looked back on previous posts' timelines and it hasn't usually taken this long to hear back?

Has anyone failed the online testing - how long did it take you to hear? PM me.

Thanks!

williamsbe
11th Nov 2015, 21:58
Hi Smoothsailing,

I am in the same situation as you - completed my online testing on 3rd Nov (for deadline 4th, same as yours I presume?). Still says "Online Testing Complete", still haven't heard anything back and I also felt the tests went reasonably well. I think there is quite a lot of variation in how long it takes ATC to get back to you. Some people in past years have reported taking up to two weeks, but I guess it could be even more.
I am also under the impression they might be doing things alphabetically. I put my original application in on 1st July and only got the email for online testing on 28th Oct - long after some others who submitted later. Since they are doing things in batches, I guess having a surname beginning with "W" doesn't' help. If you don't mind me asking, what letter does your surname start with?
Anyway all the best, suppose we just have to wait and see...

mdk2015
12th Nov 2015, 11:04
Hi smoothsailing
It may feel a long time for you, however it hasn't been that long!

As you will see from the forum - no news is good news. Everyone is processed in batches, so each group of applications will be different timelines.

I applied in December 2014, I passed assessment day in June 2015, reference checks complete and am waiting on the call for an offer.

You learn to be patient with it - it's a long process as they describe!

Good luck with the next stage

Seiran
24th Nov 2015, 01:20
Just had my phone interview on the 20th of this month, my application page shows "on hold for upcoming assessment centre" does this mean I have passed the telephone interview? I have yet to receive an email from Airservices telling me if I passed or not.

Tried looking back through this thread for answers but couldn't find anything. Thank you everyone!

Seiran
24th Nov 2015, 01:26
Nevermind I literally just got an acceptance email 30 seconds after posting

atcapplicant16
26th Nov 2015, 10:46
Hi
Just seeing who is on the April 2016 course for Melbourne?

Would be great to touch base with those on the same course.

Look forward to hearing from those who have been assigned to April 2016.

Cheers

RedPhox
27th Nov 2015, 09:08
Hi atcapplicant16,

I'm on the Melbourne course for 2016. I'd love to start talking to people before the course starts so that we already know some people and make it easier on ourselves

Know I. Deer
1st Dec 2015, 01:30
Have received a verbal offer for the Brisbane ENR course in April 2016. Pretty happy about that! :)

My original application was way back in August 2014 with an assessment day in March 2015 so to those waiting, hang in there if you can.

PEagle
1st Dec 2015, 09:17
I will have to take online test soon. What kindly let me know how was it and what are do and don't please.

I do appreciate it.

Smoothsailing
2nd Dec 2015, 22:45
Hi williamsbe,

Had my phone interview the other day. Afterwards I checked my online status and it says "On hold for upcoming Assessment Centre". Is this the same for you? I am wondering if it is a generic status after phone interview or whether I should interpret it literally!

All the best.

TL85
3rd Dec 2015, 01:30
Got an email a few days ago saying my application has been unsuccessful. Wasn't even offered the chance to do the online testing. I can only assume my trade qualification does not meet the minimum requirement. Can anyone confirm this?

iinii
3rd Dec 2015, 02:02
Hi williamsbe,

Had my phone interview the other day. Afterwards I checked my online status and it says "On hold for upcoming Assessment Centre". Is this the same for you? I am wondering if it is a generic status after phone interview or whether I should interpret it literally!

All the best.

On hold for upcoming assessment centre is good news in my experience, I received an email shortly after advising to book a day for the AC.

Is there anyone on the forum here who also attended the AC on 26th Nov in Brisbane? Met some really great people, best of luck to you all and hope to see you again somewhere down the road. :)

Know I. Deer
3rd Dec 2015, 03:27
Smoothsailing - that generally means you passed your phone interview and the next step will be getting notification to attend an assessment centre day. Give it a few weeks for the email advising you to come through.

williamsbe
3rd Dec 2015, 05:48
Hi Smoothsailing,

I had my phone interview a few days ago as well, and subsequently had exactly the same status as yourself (on-hold for upcoming assessment centre). From what I understand it is a positive sign, although it's always good to receive the formal email to be sure. I was told on on the phone that there won't be any assessment centre days until March, but we should hear back before they shut down for Christmas.

Fingers crossed!

vira
22nd Dec 2015, 10:18
Well I'm glad I found this thread. Was starting to loose my marbles with the wait time :sad: but it appears its normal.

My current schedule is:
14/03/15 - Application Submitted
17/05/15 - Online Test
22/05/15 - Online Occupational Personality Quiz
01/07/15 - Phone Interview
24/08/15 - Received Assessment Centre Invite
07/10/15 - Assessment Centre
22/10/15 - Received Reference Check Advisory

Still sitting around waiting but its good to see that its normal for 2 months for reference check... with Christmas break wont expect to hear anything until probably feb...

Anyone else who attended the assessment day in Brisbane on the 7th on this forum?

fujii
22nd Dec 2015, 19:41
Well I'm glad I found this thread. Was starting to lose my marbles with the wait time but it appears it's normal.

My current schedule is:
14/03/15 - Application Submitted
17/05/15 - Online Test
22/05/15 - Online Occupational Personality Quiz
01/07/15 - Phone Interview
24/08/15 - Received Assessment Centre Invite
07/10/15 - Assessment Centre
22/10/15 - Received Reference Check Advisory

Still sitting around waiting but it's good to see that it's normal for 2 months for reference check... with Christmas break won't expect to hear anything until probably February.

Anyone else who attended the assessment day in Brisbane on the 7th on this forum?

This isn't aimed at vira as these types of errors appear in many posts. Start working on your grammar, spelling and punctuation now. When you finish the course and get rated, it won't be long before you will be writing reports, most likely ESIRs. These reports will go to a number of people, Airservices Safety, CASA, ATSB and the airline safety personnel. Small errors can change the meaning of a paragraph.

Knackers
22nd Dec 2015, 22:50
24/08/15 - Received Assessment Centre Invitation.

Got to maintain the standards! Nyuk, nyuk.

vira
23rd Dec 2015, 03:57
Hello Fujii,

Thank you for pointing out the hilarious spelling error :D. It gave me a good laugh!:O
Yes we all have slip-ups from time to time. Who honestly hasn’t accidentally hit two 0’s when typing lose.

I find the comment’s quite funny though. Please remember that this is a forum not a 200 page thesis, 60 page monthly safety report, Operations Manual, Procedures Manual, Safety Manual or any number of documents that I have provided CASA, ATSB and/or Airline safety personnel.

Yes, I am already in the aviation industry :oh:.

Although you hold a very valid comment regarding grammar, spelling and punctuation :ok:, especially in important documents, you need to remember that you would always re-read the document to ensure its accuracy. I believe this is called proofreading a document :eek:.

If you get to the stage of proofreading a post on a forum, you really need to consider two things.

1) You are taking the forum way to literally.
2) You really need to find something better to do with your time.

As for my previous post, short hand was used intentionally. This includes but is not limited to Feb and Invite. I guess my point is that appropriateness needs to be considered not just in regards to future work where proofreading is imperative, but also when singling out people (even though trying to cover it with a generalisation) who have obviously and intentionally used short hand on an appropriate media forum.

And no I’m not going to proofread this post. I have better things to do with my time :}

fujii
23rd Dec 2015, 04:54
You really need to find something better to do with your time.

I did forty two years in ATC. Just passing along a little of what I learned. All the best for your career.

vira
23rd Dec 2015, 09:05
:ok::ok::ok:

LukeyBoy
14th Jan 2016, 12:36
Hi guys,
Would anybody have any information on the next possible recruitment of ATC's? I've been thinking of making the move into ATC for a while now and have recently decided to give it a crack.

I have attempted the practice assessments in the link below and find I'm scoring around 70 for each. I'm wondering if this is a pretty common score for someone to get (especially someone that has made it past the online assessments)? I saw this question asked a few pages back but didn't really see any informative replies. Does anybody have any information as to the benchmark ASA has on their ATC's recruits?

https://www.cebglobal.com/shldirect/en/practice-tests/

Cheers,
LukeyBoy

vira
20th Jan 2016, 01:15
Sorry couldn't get into the tests for free so couldn't run through one for you.

Did have a quick look at the examples and there are some good benchmarks there for you, particularly in regards to the style of testing… or so I feel anyway.

Unfortunately the way the assessment centre is done, it really is a “you either have it or you don’t” scenario. I found that no matter how much I tried to practice, it really boiled down to your personal ability to adapt and communicate rather then pure numerical, logic or verbal reasoning.

Best thing to do mate is just have a crack! If you pass the initial online testing you are in good standing with the assessment day.

The figures I was provided were, 3000 applicants each year apply only 500 make it to assessment day and only 100 through to training. I know those figures look bad but if you make it to the assessment day just relax, enjoy and I hope you achieve. :ok:

eltouha
25th Jan 2016, 02:57
^interesting stats. any idea what the training failure rate is?

i would imagine since there is a great investment in the training, that there would be significant support at the learning academy.

le Pingouin
29th Jan 2016, 09:19
Historically the overall success rate is around 50%. Around 1/3 are lost at the academy (failure and withdrawal), with the remainder failing the field sim or failing on-the-job training. There is a great investment in training but an even greater emphasis on meeting the standards required.

For better or worse the selection process is an imprecise science and it's hard to tell who can pull it all together at the end.

Know I. Deer
1st Feb 2016, 03:00
It would be interesting to see the pass/fail stats after the change of selection methodology ~5 years ago to see if there is any improvement.

KS92
3rd Feb 2016, 05:43
Well, I had my 20-minute phone interview today. I tend to perform quite poorly when it comes to answering interview questions, but I think it went alright. Guess we'll soon see! I've really enjoyed the process so far, particularly since this is all entirely new to me.

While the next stage would involve a flight from Perth to Melbourne, I'm praying I get through to the assessment centre - it sounds like an incredible experience. Fingers crossed!

iinii
3rd Feb 2016, 07:16
So incredibly happy to say I received an offer today for Melbourne En Route Course in September!

A massive thanks to everyone on this forum who has offered their experience and advice to help others out, reading the information on this forum has kept me sane during the wait. Would love to hear from anyone starting a course at the same time, especially if you'll also be looking for housemates when the course starts! In the hope it will help those going through the process to manage expectations and stay positive, here is the timeline for my application:

Application submitted: 3rd September
Invitation to online testing: 8th September
OPQ Invitation: 16th September
Invitation to book telephone interview: 10th October
Phone interview complete: 22nd October
Assessment Centre invite: 25th October
Assessment Centre complete: 26th November
Reference check advisory: 4th December
Reference check complete: Early January (not sure of date)
Verbal offer: 3rd February

Aipgen
3rd Feb 2016, 22:21
Congrats KS92, good job so far, and also to iinii for making the cut! :ok:

Here my experience of the phone interview:

Was called by a HR person, who gave a brief intro to the structure of the interview.
This was followed by 2 questions regarding the ATC role.
Then I had 3 behavioural style questions, where I had to draw on examples from past experiences.
The questions were fair and relevant, and you have the opportunity to promote yourself. Make the most of it!
For anyone preparing, I would suggest focusing on what you believe to be core aspects of the job.
Be practical in answering questions, and be SPECIFIC with your examples. Do not rely on vague descriptions or generalisations in your responses (which I am a little guilty of).
Also, don't bulls**t, as HR will smell it through the phone.
My interview went for about 28 min, but that was due to me rambling on a fair bit. I suggest NOT to do this, but keep to the point and get the message across. KISS.
If any further elaboration is required, HR will ask you for it.
If you stick to 2-3min answers the interview will be over in 20 min.

After the q&a session, the interviewer gave me a brief rundown of what happens next. Result of phone interview are to be notified via email in a week. I was also advised that not many make it to the assessment centre, and even fewer beyond. I'll take that as a subtle hint, and await my results with a dose of healthy pessimism.

You then have a quick minute or two to ask questions of your own (such as "Did I pass?").

This stage of the recruitment process is certainly one you CAN fail at, and therefore demands attention, in my view. However, with decent prep work the likelihood of stuffing it up completely is reduced, because you can target the areas being addressed.

DISCLAIMER: I'm no HR professional or interview expert, nor do I purport to know what ASA is looking for. These are simply my observations of the interview I had, and my personal opinions based on past experiences. I hope they will be useful to others.

Good luck everyone!

KS92
12th Feb 2016, 02:22
Cheers, Aipgen!

Yeah, I can basically echo my experience through what you've just detailed. Thankfully, I received an email this morning asking me to confirm a booking for one of the assessment days in Melbourne! So stoked.

Let me know how you go - I'll have my fingers crossed for you!

Killum2
12th Feb 2016, 04:20
Afternoon All,

After approximately a year wait, I have recently received verbal confirmation of my acceptance for the July ENR intake in Melbourne.

PM me if you are also starting the same course and are interested in some sort of house share arrangement with fellow students!

Also a quick thanks to all of you for providing me with information on how long the process takes and the patience required when applying for ATC.

Cheers.

Pilniigi_dumjsh
16th Feb 2016, 21:20
Hello,
Congratulations, to all successful candidates. :D All of U have done great job and are about to enter the amazing world of vectoring and endless separating... Good luck with it.:ok:

Any successful international candidate here?? If any, please PM, have some thoughts, and themes to talk about....

-JLS-
20th Feb 2016, 21:45
I was interested to see this bit which has slipped in there this time (or maybe it did get added previously and I didn't see):

Meet our minimum education requirements completed at an Australian institution within the last ten years. (International qualifications will need to be assessed by an appropriate authority as equivalent)

Year 12 Certificate with a score enabling entrance to university; or
Completed Tertiary Diploma; or
Completed Degree; or
Current Commercial Pilot Licence or Private Pilot Licence.

Could be a way of limiting the age of applicants without putting a strict age limit on it? I guess you can always complete your PPL at any age, but the ten year limit on high school/university would limit a lot of people.

ATCeasyas123
21st Feb 2016, 23:51
Applied - 22 February 2016.

My hat it is officially thrown in the ring...

I live in Melb and through a friend of a friend I was able to visit the ATC enroute control room a couple of weeks ago... was given the opportunity to 'plug in' and hear the live conversations with pilots. It was mid-morning (not early rush), nice weather in what seemed a fairly quiet sector...

I know that I can do the job but whether I can get through the selection process is my greatest hurdle.

partridge42
23rd Feb 2016, 10:26
...whether I can get through the selection process is my greatest hurdle.

You might be in for a rude shock.

ATCeasyas123
25th Feb 2016, 12:07
You might be in for a rude shock.

You might be right... only one way to find out. :-)

Rosiecheeks7
26th Feb 2016, 01:11
Hi ladies and gents,

First time posting on here. Congratulations to all that have had success so far. My question is to anyone who may be able to provide feedback or share their experience with me regarding the telephone interview as I recently completed it last week and got the sorry no go email this morning. I thought I had prepared myself quite well and had answers ready but obviously my responses weren't what they were looking for. I haven't really heard of anyone falling short on the telephone interview I thought it was more of an informal chat about yourself and what you have to offer. As you can imagine I'm pretty disappointed but will shrug it off and have another go.

My background is aviation for 11 years including commercial pilot licence with MECIR and currently sitting my ATPL exams.

I'm not sure if I came across unprepared but I do know I was nervous which may of been obvious. If anyone would like to pm me to talk about there experience in detail feel free or if anyone has feedback for me as to why my answers may of not cut the mustard please pm me.:ugh:

Knackers
26th Feb 2016, 19:46
I believe that you can ask Airservices for feedback.

Rosiecheeks7
27th Feb 2016, 05:46
Yeah I sent them an email asking for feedback, not sure what they'll provide but I guess they have their reasons. HR personnel are trained a certain way to pick the right people I just feel a little ripped off that it's HR not letting me progress and not a board of ATC's. Thought I had a fair bit to offer, I'll give it another go for sure.

Chacha73
28th Feb 2016, 00:11
Hi everone,

New to this site, just a quick question re the practice test on SHL.

I just tried the calculation test where you get 18 seconds per question. is it just me or is there a simple way to work out these complicated questions. It was impossible for me to even begin to work out at least 3/4 of the test without a calculator. Can you use a calculator?

Stressing now as i have 1 week to brush up my skills before doing the real assessment.

Thanks in advance

Chacha73
29th Feb 2016, 01:49
Hi rosiecheeks,

How do I PM you? :(

oldbogie
29th Feb 2016, 02:34
Check your settings. Don't think your contact details are accessible. @ Rosiecheeks7

dreamed2fly
29th Feb 2016, 02:47
Rosiecheeks7

could be too much experience?

Str8in
29th Feb 2016, 07:13
Hi Guys!

I applied to the international intake last June. A few days ago I received a msg that my application was deemed unsuccessful. While I met the minimum requirements according to the letter "other applicants possessed more relevant technical experience for the position". It surprised me quite a lot. I have an approach rating with 5yrs of experience at an international airport with around 100,000 movements a yr. I am an OJTI an ATS expert and an English language assessor. I was sure to at least make it to online testing... Anyone else heard back?

parishiltons
3rd Mar 2016, 10:30
That's a fairly quiet airport. Do you have experience in using semi automated ATM systems?

Cleared For A Coffee
3rd Mar 2016, 16:01
To be fair to Str8in, the number of movements is all relative.

Anybody who has operational experience in ATC knows that there are airports with 100k movements that are much more complex environments than airports with 200k movements and so on...

Is it a mix of VFR/IFR integration or just an IFR sausage factory? How many runways? What class of airspace? Any airfields in close proximity that effect ops? I could go on and on and on. Each unit its own idiosyncrasies.

Str8in
4th Mar 2016, 08:18
That's a fairly quiet airport. Do you have experience in using semi automated ATM systems?

Its about the same as Adelaide and Cairns (two of the six TCUs for which ASA was/is recruiting)...and as Cleared for a Coffee mentioned below, movements are relative...You would be surprised how complex some of the TMAs with fewer movements are here in Europe.;)

Mons1eur
7th Mar 2016, 23:33
Hi Guys,

This is my first post in this forum.
I applied for the ongoing Air Traffic Controller in Training and looked through this post before giving my Online Tests. Fortunately I passed and was invited to give OPQ.

I finished OPQ yesterday night but now I am very confused. The questionnaire asked many questions repeatedly and I am not sure if I had the same consistency in them. I did answer them as truly as I can.

Any ideas what it means and if people do fail at OPQ?

ta

vira
14th Mar 2016, 08:39
Don't stress the opq asks questions different ways to get a full profile there's really no way to answer bar honestly otherwise your profile will be all over the place.

Hopefully you did fine. Best of luck!

Seiran
16th Mar 2016, 22:17
Passed the assessment day!

I just had to update my reference details, does anyone know how important the referee details are? I am worried that my work references would have a hard time answering behavioural based questions about me.

How long does it take before references are usually contacted?

Words can't express how happy I am to have passed the assessment day.

Seiran
17th Mar 2016, 00:27
Hi SydneyATCLover,

In that case I think I might pass the reference checks! I've done all I can do now I just have to hope and perhaps even pray that my references say the right things!

Smoothsailing
17th Mar 2016, 05:30
Do they let you know at the end of the assessment day now? How many people were at your day? Cheers

Seiran
17th Mar 2016, 09:23
Smoothsailing,

No it took two weeks for them to get back to me about my result, there were 6 people at my day

mdk2015
22nd Mar 2016, 11:19
Hi Seeing if anyone knows the courses that are scheduled for Enroute ?

Congratulations to all those who have been accepted.

Thanks

acs.acp.aps.app
22nd Mar 2016, 15:18
Hi everyone! Thank you guys and girls for tons of useful info, especially to those active ATCOs!

Could someone advise a website to practise verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning, numerical calculations and a checking tests?

I did tests on https://www.cebglobal.com/shldirect/en/practice-tests/ numerous times but without explanations why this or that was wrong and just showing the number of correct answers they are of little use. I am particularly referring to those Verbal Reasoning with True/False/Cannot Say tests whose logic is often hard to follow - Do I have enough info to conclude that it's false? Am I supposed to conclude that it's true or I don't have enough info and thus it's Cannot Say?

Anywho, I'd appreciate any help!

iinii
23rd Mar 2016, 05:26
Hi Seeing if anyone knows the courses that are scheduled for Enroute ?

Can advise at the least that Enroute 124 commences early September, I remember also hearing there was one earlier than September scheduled for this year but can't remember when, sorry.

Still keen to hear from anyone that is also commencing Enroute 124. :)

vira
25th Mar 2016, 12:26
Hi Serian,

The reference checks are pretty thorough!!

I was told by the person who was my referee they were given a full interview style of questions...

Can you give me an example when BLAH showed problem solving in a team environment....
Etc. etc.

Best of luck though, you should be right with it.

vira
25th Mar 2016, 12:27
mdk2015 think they were currently working on October dates... might even be past that now

1982Huytonsqn
27th Mar 2016, 05:54
Hi guys! New on here. Just about to apply for ATC in training position. Best apps/sites to practice for the online aptitude tests if my application is successful? Thanks in advance :)

acs.acp.aps.app
28th Mar 2016, 09:48
Hi guys! New on here. Just about to apply for ATC in training position. Best apps/sites to practice for the online aptitude tests if my application is successful? Thanks in advance :)
Hi 1982Huytonsqn, I've come across a couple of sites:
Practice Aptitude Tests | FREE Online Aptitude Tests | FREE Practice Aptitude Tests for Job Applicants & Graduates (http://www.practiceaptitudetests.com)
https://www.assessmentday.co.uk/index.htm
They offer limited number of free tests but still good for practice:
I keep googling myself.

Shibtar
29th Mar 2016, 09:55
Hi everyone,

I have been reading this forum for well over a year now and am happy to say that I have been accepted into En-route course 124 commencing early September. Thank you for everyone who has posted useful info!

I am therefore starting to look around at living options in Melbourne and think I have narrowed it down to a share house as I don't know many people down there and think it would be great to share with other trainees. So if anyone else on course 124 or even other courses is looking for a place then please PM me!

I look forward to hearing from people and hopefully meeting in advance even if you aren't interested in a share house.

Best of luck to everyone else!

Seiran
31st Mar 2016, 01:09
Vira and SydneyATCLover,

How long did it take between assessment day until your references were contacted? And how long between references being called until you found out if you passed the reference checks?

ATC88
1st Apr 2016, 11:38
After spending a week reading every post in this thread, I threw my name in the pool for a position as a trainee ATC.

It looks like it'll be a crazy learning curve but I'm excited to give it my best and see how I go!!!

It's so inspiring to read the progress of other members in their progress from applying through to the actual course start and weekly runnings.

Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to follow suit in the near future!!!

KellieM
4th Apr 2016, 02:46
I put myself in for the Trainee ATC in Brisbane!
After back & forth with my USA to AUS minimum qualification assessments (See what happens when you finish High School/College in another country). And a total fail on the speed math test I am pleased to find out that i have passed the online test and move on to the OPQ. Woop! Lets see if i get passed the next stage :)

TwentyNine
4th Apr 2016, 06:09
I'm from Brisbane and just received an email saying I have passed the online assessment. I gather from the responses of this thread that the occupational personality test is next and then a phone interview.

Could any prior/current applicants share what attributes the HR are looking for in the phone interview? I'd like to be prepared with relevant examples of my experience to answer accordingly - and also for self-reflection on whether or not I actually have the skills to pursue a career as an ATC (or will I waste a year trying for something that doesn't even suit me?).

Thanks so much.

vira
10th Apr 2016, 05:38
Seiran,

Took a few weeks for my references to be contacted, then a few more weeks to get a verbal offer. Finally would have probably been two months to get written offer...

Unfortunately this stage just seems to drag on more then the rest! Its not, but since your so close, its just perpetually on your mind. Current placements are for October and later though, so there's no rush.

Best of luck :)

vira
10th Apr 2016, 05:50
Hello TwentyNine,

It was a little while ago now for me but i remember them asking specifically:

How do i deal with pressure/stress
Tell me a time that you were put under pressure working in a team environment
Tell me a time when a leader made a decision you didn't agree with and what you did
Would you be willing to work on shifts.
How well do you work in a team, can you work independently

well that kind of question anyway. You just need to have a bit of practice answering normal interview questions and you will be fine. Theres a plethora of websites out there.... just remember to answer with the STAR approach and you should be fine..
Situation
Tasks
Action
Result

As for the personality profile, it is what is is. You cant really dodge it up as it intentionally asks similar questions with different answers to gauge accuracy.

Best of luck :)

D27438
14th Apr 2016, 15:09
Hey guys I am new to this forum and have just applied with ASA to do the trainee ATC program.

I have received the Online Testing invitation and I am curious to know what previous persons on this forum have thought of it. I have done a couple of practice tests on the SHL website and scored just below half at the moment so I am wanting to out a bit more effort in before doing the ASA online componet given that I haven't studied in a while. Try and knock out some of those cobwebs.

Any advice would be really great.

mwang92
19th Apr 2016, 03:43
Hi Twenty Nine,

I am applying for the next intake of ATC and I am extremely worried about what kind of questions I'll receive and the time limit/number of questions. If you could please please give me an idea of what to expect I will be forever grateful. Good luck on your application!

Regards

Melissa

I'm from Brisbane and just received an email saying I have passed the online assessment. I gather from the responses of this thread that the occupational personality test is next and then a phone interview.

Could any prior/current applicants share what attributes the HR are looking for in the phone interview? I'd like to be prepared with relevant examples of my experience to answer accordingly - and also for self-reflection on whether or not I actually have the skills to pursue a career as an ATC (or will I waste a year trying for something that doesn't even suit me?).

Thanks so much.

D27438
19th Apr 2016, 13:10
Hey 29, how did you find the online testing? How difficult were the example tests in comparison to the actual? Did they focus on any specific area and what do you think we're your strengths? I'm sitting it on Friday and have been doing some revising. I'm hoping to narrow the focus

Thanks so much.

ailzo
20th Apr 2016, 21:03
Heya

Just wondered if anyone has been allocated course starting end of June for experienced controllers?

StillUntitled
27th Apr 2016, 06:25
Can anyone confirm if that your sent an email regarding being on a hold list for the next online personality quiz, that it is an indication of passing the online testing? Or are they independent of one another.

fujii
28th Apr 2016, 06:39
Can anyone confirm if that your sent an email...

First learn the difference between "your" and "you're."

Seiran
28th Apr 2016, 06:50
Vira when did you have your assessment day?

sunnySA
28th Apr 2016, 08:33
Anyone else use the new MRS???
hear say only, you need to specify dates and dosages of all mediations for the past 2 years.

EarthbyNight
9th May 2016, 04:26
Can anyone confirm if that your sent an email regarding being on a hold list for the next online personality quiz, that it is an indication of passing the online testing? Or are they independent of one another.

Hey. I also have received the same email. I believe that you will only go to the next stage if you passed the first. But not certain about that.

Seiran
10th May 2016, 02:04
My application status now says "reference checks complete". Is that a good sign, have I passed the reference checks?

Jim05
11th May 2016, 09:39
Hi Seiran,

My application status is also "reference checks complete" and has been for about a month now. It feels painfully long as we are so close to an offer!

Seiran
11th May 2016, 21:40
Jim05,

It's so painful, presumably on the day the references were contacted they would know immediately if we passed or failed the checks, would our application status change to "application outcome" if we failed?

Jim05
12th May 2016, 10:26
Yeah, from previous posts the "application outcome" status is the kiss of death. So I would think our current status is a good sign.

vira
14th May 2016, 02:34
Vira when did you have your assessment day?

Back in November

vira
14th May 2016, 02:36
hear say only, you need to specify dates and dosages of all mediations for the past 2 years.

Yeah used MRS
It's very detailed. Wanted to know types of medication used including over the counter. The dame will then question you about them all

vira
14th May 2016, 02:38
Hi Seiran,

My application status is also "reference checks complete" and has been for about a month now. It feels painfully long as we are so close to an offer!

Mine was reference checks complete for over three months... Hang in there

Sophie Clark
15th May 2016, 07:54
Hi,

I recently attended an assessment centre in Brisbane. I was wondering if there's any of the other attendees on here? If so have they heard anything back yet, or have their online accounts updated yet?

Thanks ! And hi!

Marco10
15th May 2016, 23:22
Hi all, my telephone interview scheduled in few days for Trainee air traffic controllers. Anyone can give hints about what kind of questions they ask?

VanillaCoke
16th May 2016, 06:23
Almost here!

My Melbourne Assessment Centre date is just around the corner! It's been a long wait, mainly because I couldn't get to the Brisbane Centre they initially invited me to (I live in Melbourne) but I'm excited to finally have it so close.

I've been 'preparing' quite a bit recently. I know you can't really prepare for this too much, a lot of you say so, but you know, every bit of info helps and it's good to keep sharp and keep my head in the game.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any info on the "simulation exercise". I know you can't really talk about Assessment days too much but I feel like it could mean a lot of things so any sort of hints would help.
Do you use any sort of equipment? Is it on a computer? Do you talk into a mic or just type commands? Any clarity would be helpful.

Seiran
16th May 2016, 07:57
VanillaCoke,

There is nothing you can do to prepare for the simulation exercise, in fact I think I found it the easiest part of the day.

vira
16th May 2016, 10:53
Ya Seiran's right. There's no simulator I've found pre or post that would help sorry. Best advice I can give is to take a deep breath, listen intently to the instructions of the exercise and go with the flow.

Did I mention listen to the instructions :p

pineapples
17th May 2016, 02:47
Hey Sophie Clark
I was in a Brisbane AC the other week, they have checked my references now. Hopefully they get to yours soon!

Maggie Island
18th May 2016, 01:20
I've been in "application outcome" for almost a week now with no correspondence... Any other experienced ATCs who have completed their interviews in the same boat?

I called up HR to see if I missed an email and they said that they were still deliberating, with results for everyone coming out this week?

Jim05
18th May 2016, 05:55
Seiran,

I've been told they need to wait for all of the applicants references checks to be approved, and that they aim to get back to us by late June :)

VanillaCoke
18th May 2016, 06:24
Thanks for the replies. Is it really nothing like ATC-SIM: a web-based air traffic control simulator (http://atc-sim.com/) though?

vira
18th May 2016, 09:02
I've been in "application outcome" for almost a week now with no correspondence... Any other experienced ATCs who have completed their interviews in the same boat?

I called up HR to see if I missed an email and they said that they were still deliberating, with results for everyone coming out this week?

Hi Maggie,

Chances are it's the same result I had the first time of not yet. It's a painful wait and I hope yours isn't...

vira
18th May 2016, 09:05
Thanks for the replies. Is it really nothing like ATC-SIM: a web-based air traffic control simulator (http://atc-sim.com/) though?

Not really. I can't really give you to much info tho.

Maggie Island
18th May 2016, 11:32
Hi Maggie,

Chances are it's the same result I had the first time of not yet. It's a painful wait and I hope yours isn't...

Out of curiosity, how long was the wait??

Seiran
18th May 2016, 22:26
From what I have read "Application Outcome" is not a good sign at all

vira
19th May 2016, 04:49
Think it was between 2-4 weeks.

If they offer a debrief take it... Really helped me for second round

Know I. Deer
19th May 2016, 06:01
Hang in there everyone! It's a long process, but worth it for the opportunity to be placed on a course.

One tip I will give you, is to go back through this thread and read it properly, perhaps pick a nominal page/age of post and go from there, most if not all the questions that are able to be answered in a public forum relating to the testing have been answered. You literally can't study or swot up for some of it, and for those bits you can't being pre-briefed or having prior knowledge would be glaringly obvious and not in your favour.

Missliz
19th May 2016, 20:52
Hi,

I recently attended an assessment centre in Brisbane. I was wondering if there's any of the other attendees on here? If so have they heard anything back yet, or have their online accounts updated yet?

Thanks ! And hi!

Hi Sophie, my name is Liz and I recently had my assessment day in Brisbane (were we the same day I wonder?). I am at reference check stage. From reading this thread it can 5 months from now if you are lucky enough to receive LOO.

vira
20th May 2016, 09:24
Lol even after u get the LOO it's aimed to be a 6 month notice period.... So still more waiting

hiltonbaby
20th May 2016, 09:26
Here is a fun fact.... Get he word most used in ATC and win a prize. No it isn't golly... it does however start in the first quarter of the alpahabet.

vira
21st May 2016, 02:15
Here is a fun fact.... Get he word most used in ATC and win a prize. No it isn't golly... it does however start in the first quarter of the alpahabet.
Sound like fun..

Cleared would be my guess but it depends on if your looking at approach/tower or enroute or both

Enroute however would say flight (as in "flight level" and "quantas flight 233") a lot more but would student circuits and pilot changes equal more then that?????

fujii
21st May 2016, 03:37
Vira and others, if planning a career in ATC start now. Read what you write and don't rely on spell and grammar checkers. You'll learn more when you cover the scanning loop and read back/hear back.

sucati
21st May 2016, 10:53

"Correction..." ;)

fujii
21st May 2016, 23:39
No one mentioned it being used on air. It is in the first quarter, starts with f and rhymes with duck.

vira
22nd May 2016, 01:35
Lol... Yeah I guess that would be said a lot

blackfysh
23rd May 2016, 05:45
Just got the email stating I was unsuccessful following the OPQ personality quiz.

Does anyone know the metrics that they use to base the results from? Those types of tests always seem to be a rather strange way of weeding people out. I have heard that they look for consistency more than anything, and I was pretty on top of it all (or so I thought), so this does come as a surprise to me.

Is there any secret to it? I realise you're suppose to answer honestly but the way that it asks questions just seemed like it was a random or ambiguous way to go about it.

Cheers.

phildan89
23rd May 2016, 07:40
Hi all,

Just wondering if there was anyone else on here starting this course next week?

ailzo
24th May 2016, 05:21
Hi all,

Just wondering if there was anyone else on here starting this course next week?

Hi Phil,

Didn't realise there was one so soon! I start at end of June. Haven't been able to find anyone on a conversion course!

Let me know how you get on

Bingo202
25th May 2016, 05:14
Afternoon All,

After approximately a year wait, I have recently received verbal confirmation of my acceptance for the July ENR intake in Melbourne.

PM me if you are also starting the same course and are interested in some sort of house share arrangement with fellow students!

Also a quick thanks to all of you for providing me with information on how long the process takes and the patience required when applying for ATC.

Cheers.
Hi Kilum - I've tried to message you but for some reason it won't let me. I will be starting July ENR course in Melbourne.

Is there anyone else on here that will be starting in July?

TroyMcClure
25th May 2016, 12:53
Hey guys, I applied unsuccessfully 5 years ago for this role and i'm interested in giving it another go. I read on one of the recent pages here that numerical testing is now involved. It's one of my strong suits. Have searched last 10 or so pages without success but can someone post what type of testing is now done please?

Also how come they have introduced numerical testing? Surprised it was never there when I first applied.

cheers

vira
26th May 2016, 02:48
Numerical reasoning has been there for at least the last 3 years. No idea why it was added.... Maybe because kids of today can't do simple arithmetic!?!?

As for tests, there were quite a few. Best to check the webpage.

Shuffle_in_B_Flat
27th May 2016, 02:38
.... Maybe because kids of today can't do simple arithmetic!?!?

I'm in my late 20s, I haven't attended a maths class since year 10 and I stopped listening in around year 5. But, I'm only a procedural approach controller, what would I need with simple arithmetic? If I can fool 'em, anyone can. ;) ;)

remington
27th May 2016, 08:56
Hi all,
I completed the phone interview and was notified late April that I will be offered a place on the next available Assessment Centre. Over the phone I was told that there would be Assessment Centres in June/July (with notifications in May). I have sent a follow up email to Airservices. Just wondering if anyone who completed their phone interview around the same time has had confirmation of the dates for available Assessment Centres?

Seiran
2nd Jun 2016, 06:04
My reference checks have been done and now I am undergoing final approvals, anyone else up to this stage? I was told in a few weeks I should expect a reply if I have made it through or not (it has been 2 weeks since I was told this).

Anyone heard back if they have passed final approvals yet?

pineapples
2nd Jun 2016, 07:18
My reference checks have been done and now I am undergoing final approvals, anyone else up to this stage? I was told in a few weeks I should expect a reply if I have made it through or not (it has been 2 weeks since I was told this).

Anyone heard back if they have passed final approvals yet?

Hey Seiran I'm in the exact same boat - email 2 weeks ago with the same message. I'm hoping it's a good thing and I'm not just building up for a big let down!

EarthbyNight
2nd Jun 2016, 08:43
Hi all,
I completed the phone interview and was notified late April that I will be offered a place on the next available Assessment Centre. Over the phone I was told that there would be Assessment Centres in June/July (with notifications in May). I have sent a follow up email to Airservices. Just wondering if anyone who completed their phone interview around the same time has had confirmation of the dates for available Assessment Centres?

Hi Remington

Can you confirm when you submitted your application. I just passed the OPQ a couple of weeks ago and received an email saying phone interviews were being scheduled but have not heard back since.

Cheers

Seiran
2nd Jun 2016, 21:47
Hey Pineapple,

I was told from a HR lady that it is rare for anyone to be refused at this point.

I'm hoping I'm not a rarity!

Missliz
5th Jun 2016, 17:36
Hey Seiran I'm in the exact same boat - email 2 weeks ago with the same message. I'm hoping it's a good thing and I'm not just building up for a big let down!

Hey guys I'm the same as you. Did you complete Melbourne or Brisbane assessment days?

vira
5th Jun 2016, 20:52
Don't stress guys, think I was in that boat for about 3 months... This was partially my own fault as they wanted to see if they could put me in an earlier course...

This is still just testing your patience. lol still more to come.... Casa is so behind in medicals that you will be waiting at least 2 months for it to be issued

pineapples
7th Jun 2016, 02:58
Hey guys I'm the same as you. Did you complete Melbourne or Brisbane assessment days?

Hey Liz I was in the same assessment day as you - without putting my name out there I was the other girl. Have you heard from/about the others at all?

JC91
7th Jun 2016, 05:32
I'm also in the same boat :) patiently waiting to hear whether my references got me through. Although I have heard that there are no more places on any courses for the rest of this year, so it looks like it's going to be a little wait regardless of when we hear back.

Did any of you guys do the March 17th assessment day?

Missliz
7th Jun 2016, 08:36
Hey Liz I was in the same assessment day as you - without putting my name out there I was the other girl. Have you heard from/about the others at all?

Hey pineapples! Congrats on making it this far. From what I understand we have done very well! No news from anyone else so far...

williamsbe
7th Jun 2016, 23:13
Pineapples and MissLiz,

Were you both at the March Assessment Day in Brisbane on the 2nd of March? I was at that day and have also been sitting at the "final approval" stage for the last two and a bit weeks.

Other than the assessment day(s) in Melbourne in March, does anyone know whether there have been any more since?

Cheers,
B.

pineapples
7th Jun 2016, 23:36
Pineapples and MissLiz,

Were you both at the March Assessment Day in Brisbane on the 2nd of March? I was at that day and have also been sitting at the "final approval" stage for the last two and a bit weeks.

Other than the assessment day(s) in Melbourne in March, does anyone know whether there have been any more since?

Cheers,
B.

Hey williamsbe we were in the May assessment day in brissy

pineapples
10th Jun 2016, 04:55
I just got the call, October course in Brisbane!!!! I'm so unbelievably happy right now, I've already booked my medical! Good luck to everyone else, can't wait to meet the other people on my course! If anyone needs a place to stay I have a spare room so pm if you're interested. Yay!!!!!!

vira
12th Jun 2016, 08:55
Congrats Pineapple,

Glad to hear your onto the medical... just spoke with some of the staff in the office and they are so far behind its not funny!!!

I know of one case that is still ongoing with complications and has been for the last 6 months. There us at least 2 others i know that have been waiting since early April for their medical..... so no time to wait!

JC91
15th Jun 2016, 14:39
Anyone else heard anything back yet?

williamsbe
15th Jun 2016, 22:34
Congratulations pineapples, that's wonderful news!

JC91 - I haven't heard anything yet either and I am also curious as to whether anyone else has been offered a place.

Also, does anyone know whether placements are still currently for Brisbane in October?

All the best to everyone!

Cheers,
B.

Bris_77
17th Jun 2016, 08:25
Hi Guys,

I am still waiting after the final approvals email a month ago as well. Is that the last contact you have had too?

At least we know it is a long wait, thanks to this forum!

Cheers

JC91
19th Jun 2016, 08:20
Hoping to hear something in the next week or two.. That's the last contact that I've had.

JC91
27th Jun 2016, 07:13
Booyah got the call today :)

Now to decide between enroute and tower! Any suggestions?

phildan89
27th Jun 2016, 09:07

I'm a tower kid through and through, love it. It all happens super quick and you spend your day at work effectively plane spotting. From what I've heard there is a longer wait for a tower course compared to enroute though?...

Congrats on getting through, it's one of the most rewarding and satisfying jobs you'll ever find!

Jim05
27th Jun 2016, 09:19
I also got a call today, wooo! I chose tower which they said starts in mid January :)

pineapples
27th Jun 2016, 09:22
Booyah got the call today :)

Hey JC91 where is your course?? Congratulations!!

JC91
27th Jun 2016, 12:09
I was initially thinking tower as well, now I'm not so sure... I like Melbourne and there is no guarantee of getting a preferable posting if I choose the tower route.. And yep it's about a 2 1/2 month difference..

Course is in Melbourne :). Cheers

Track Shortener
28th Jun 2016, 05:19
Bear in mind also that the ab initio tower course is somewhat shorter than the ab initio enroute course. Might be a longer wait to start, but you might end up coming out of the academy at the same-ish time.

fujii
28th Jun 2016, 06:43
What makes you think you'll get to choose which course? There are more enroute courses with more students on them. If you want to get into ATC, take the first one offered.

JC91
28th Jun 2016, 10:19
Yeah true, however the unknown is what scares me.. Packing up and leaving all of the friends and family - my final decision to accept the enroute course starting towards the end of the year :)

Fujii, i was given a choice of enroute starting later this year or a tower course starting very early 2017. HR allowed me a few days (I only took one) to decide which I would prefer, which was awesome.

I spoke to a friends dad (systems manager or something like that for enroute) who has been with Airservices for 33 years and based my final choice on his advice.

Now I just need to sit tight for the next couple of weeks for my LOO and it will be official!.

APB11
29th Jun 2016, 03:40
Hi all, this seems to be the place to be for nervous ASA applicants.

I did my assessment day in late May (Melbourne). I'm up to the referee stage, as is another from my group.

Congrats to everyone who recently got offers. Did you schedule the medical at the same time as the offer?

I'm interested to see how long the medical process takes, state by state - does anyone have recent info?

cbradio
29th Jun 2016, 11:29
Lots of people want to go from en route to towers.. Not too many (any ?) the other way. Might be a clue there. :)

DMCman
30th Jun 2016, 07:29
Good luck to everyone that applies for ATC. I thought I'd share my experience on this rainy day to give everyone an insight on my personal story - and also to share why I feel at the crossroads. I'm sorry if this is really long.

I knew that I wanted to do ATC for a long time, not necessarily straight out of school, but I mulled over it for a few years. I didn't however have the requirements. I completed all the hard maths and physics stuff at school, but because I didn't do English as a subject, I was ineligible. I stayed at my job for a while and got in to the routine, enjoyed it, loved my workmates, but needed more. I felt like I was going to waste. My mum and dad were both in aviation and I gradually i gravitated more and more towards something related. I felt like ATC was the most 'me'. I worked in a busy control room that required lots of pre-planning, thinking on your feet, strong mathematical aptitude. Nowhere near as high importance as moving aircraft around but I thought I had lots of skills that were quite transferrable.

So I decided to take the plunge. I thought to myself "you know what, I'm going to try and make this the best damn application possible". I considered the options and at the end of the day enrolled in a Bachelor of Aviation and concurrently trained for my PPL. I wanted to do absolutely everything I could to look impressive. You only get two shots after all. I even weighed up the fact that having a Pilot's licence might be a downfall (anecdotally it seems they get a lot of cocky pilots applying that think they should be given the job - however my attitude is certainly not cavalier). I didn't want to be a Pilot anyway. It's a nice gig, but it's not 'me'.

I did all the research possible I could on the job. I spoke to existing controllers, I visited towers and TCUs and spent hours in there just watching. They would ask me questions to see my knowledge of the job and I was met with 'Wow... Can you explain that to the rest of our team so that they can understand it better!'. I had so much fun in those visits and one of the towers made me promise them that I would come back there to work once I finished my training! I got a busniess card from one of the supervisors and he has been really nice and helpful to me throughout.

I spent three years at uni, dropping to part-time at work, and ended up getting the B. Aviation and PPL (a few hours off CPL) and submitted my application. The process was extremely tough but I felt I did really well. Got through the online tests, phone interview, an online OPQ and made it through to the assessment centre. I was relieved but at the same time, I know I never have any problems with those psychometric-type exercises.

The assessment day was tough. Everyone here that has attended one knows it's not a walk in the park. It's a long day in the sense that they are testing you in many different ways and besides the exhaustion, you're bloody nervous. Notwithstanding all of this I though I did ok. My schedule for the day said I had my ATC simulation session dead last. Something which I wish I had the ability to change and do all over again.

After a very nervous few weeks, I got the notification that I was unsuccessful. My feedback was that I seemed to do ok in everything except I dropped a couple of points in the simulator. I knew I hadn't done as well as I knew I could, but I was confident I had done enough. I was really really surprised, but you just have to trust the controllers that are judging you. You really have to be at 100% for the whole day and unfortunately due to the restless night of worrying the day beforehand, I started the day on a good foot, but by the end, I was just plain tired. Not so much mentally fatigued, but literally tired.

I had a really nice lady on the phone give me my feedback. She said to me that because I was so close, she strongly recommended that I apply again in 12 months time. This definitely gave me hope and I became more determined than ever.

Flash forward to 12 months later (to the day): I rang Airservices HR and just wanted to ask a few questions about putting in my second application and just wanted some general advice on things to highlight given it was my final shot. Now, I'm not going to comment on anyone personally, but let's give the benefit of the doubt and say this person was having a very bad day. I spoke to someone who was so short and rude to me and said (verbatim) "If I was you, I wouldn't even bother". I was completely amazed and devastated. I was told that 'pilot's dont make good controllers' and 'assessment centres were too expensive, so we don't take people on their second application usually'. Finally, I asked why someone 12 months prior strongly recommended me to reapply, she said 'I don't know. If it was up to me - I'd say no'.

So now to today. It's been several years since that last phone call and I've only really had the courage to write anything about it now. I don't feel angry at the fairly merciless feedback, just more disappointed that I didn't quite get over the line on that assessment day. I feel a bit like my dream is shattered now and I'm back working the same job, just with a useless degree and PPL. Sorry to end on such a melancholy note, but I think it's important that people know that sometimes not everything goes to plan and just make sure that you have things in your life that can fill the void if your dream doesn't work out! I think I'm done with this venture now, which is a shame. Good luck to everyone that applies.

TL/DR; I suck at ATC, good luck everyone else.

renegade154
30th Jun 2016, 11:30
DMC sorry to hear of your experience. HR understand process but have no real knowledge of ATC, and the second person you spoke to gave you information based on assumed knowledge which was not terribly factual.
It is true that pilots do not have any advantage over other candidates when it comes to the practical application of doing air traffic control but if accepted to training they have as much chance of success as anyone else.
If you truly feel committed to doing ATC then I would suggest giving it a second try. It is a tough gig and it may not be successful but at least you will know.
One thing in your post which is good advice, to paraphrase, is for people to have a "back up plan". Success is never assured and there are a number of trainees who either do not make it through the Academy or fail in the field when the workload and complexity steps up . In relation to your age, although there is no restriction, if you are over 35 then your chances of success are diminished and if 40 the success rate is less than 5%! As you said in your post not wanting to be melancholy, just factual.

Good luck with whatever you choose in life.

Footnote: I have been involved for over 37 years.

missy
30th Jun 2016, 12:40
DMC,
What an impressive post? As I was reading I was hoping for the positive outcome however not to be? Your honestly is breathtaking, I wish you well but I ask you one question? Are you better to know definitely? That is, apply a second time and find out one way or the other? Or can you sit back comfortable with what the last HR person said?
Been in the job for 36 years, its a great gig, not for everyone.

APB11
30th Jun 2016, 12:56
DMC, sorry to hear about your experience. I've been lurking on this forum a bit lately and have noticed a fair number of people who have gotten through on their second attempt. If I were you I'd apply again. There's a reason they allow 2 attempts, it must be worth the cost to find the right people. Don't be disheartened, one person's opinion doesn't decide the outcome.

JC91
30th Jun 2016, 13:42
DMC

I failed my first assessment day pretty badly.. Got 1/5, 2/5 etc for all of the sim exercises which I thought I excelled in!

Second time around, I didn't change much in all honesty - I did have a bit more determination, confidence and life experience but I passed it second time with no worries. So don't despair, have another crack because otherwise you will never know!

cbradio
2nd Jul 2016, 08:20
And a PPL/ Aviation experience certainly does help if you end up on a Tower course. Even more so when you get out in the field.

APB11
4th Jul 2016, 04:42
For those who have completed a medical via MRS, in your experience how strict is the 'all medication from the last 4 years' part of the requirement? Do they require you to provide medical records from all GPs/specialists, or is it enough to just list educated guesses (eg I was on Amoxicillin early 2013, will they require exact dates or will a month suffice)?

vira
8th Jul 2016, 04:09
APB11,

CASA medical are a pain in the arse atm!
I believe the current delay for initial medicals is approximately three months unless you can put some urgency on it... I.E. impending job starting within a month! (fictitious or not)

As for the MRS, your DAME will have to write off everything that you put in here. Put it in as best as you remember and have a good answer when with your dame. This part becomes time-consuming more than anything. Be careful about saying you have Panadol or Neurofen as even once every week or two could cause additional testing.

Not that I would ever suggest lying to CASA, but the opinion of tell them as little as possible is an industry standard for a reason!

vira
8th Jul 2016, 04:21
DMC,

Wow sounds like you just had a bad run mate!
I know it can be disheartening when someone who is obviously not having a good day tells you not to bother. That would have hurt, but mate, you really should just give it one more crack!

I'm another case of pilot/extensive aviation background/mid 30's second time through the assessment centre and I made the cut. All I'm trying to say is, by all means, have a backup plan, but if it was your dream job and something you really truly wanted, screw the HR department and give it your best! you get a second chance for a reason and hey you never know, you just might make it.... isn't that worth the risk???

iinii
8th Jul 2016, 04:22
Can definitely second that CASA are very behind at the moment and taking longer than usual, recommend getting your examination done as early as possible and follow up regularly with CASA.

APB11
8th Jul 2016, 06:29
Thanks for the info on the medical, Vira and iinii. Is it a national hold up, or can it be quicker state to state?

Knackers
8th Jul 2016, 23:10
Medical delays / The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/pilots-face-grounding-over-medical-delays/news-story/ff279cf4d5f5628bc2b94489597f7d18)

vira
9th Jul 2016, 13:42
Good article! Wow 400 applications waiting for 8 weeks or more as they need to provide additional info......
Would be great if casa contacted them to let them know!!!

Hang in there guys, you will get your medicals eventually

APB11
11th Jul 2016, 04:52
Subscriber-only content, unfortunately. What are they saying/predicting as the maximum wait-time?

Does anyone know what happens if the CASA clearance isn't in by the start date of the ATC training? Mine is going to need further investigation due to a previous diagnosis.

Also, I'm taking medication that is on the "Hazardous in Aviation" category (link (http://services.casa.gov.au/avmed/guidelines/medication.asp)), but will be finished before the ASA training starts. Will I need to have stopped using this prior to my medical, or would they take my start date into account?

EarthbyNight
11th Jul 2016, 14:45
In relation to your age, although there is no restriction, if you are over 35 then your chances of success are diminished and if 40 the success rate is less than 5%! As you said in your post not wanting to be melancholy, just factual.

Hi I'm currently going through the recruitment process at the moment. I'm 34. Is the above quote true? Do Airservices have a preference for age range? Frankly if I was accepted onto a course at 34 I would say I have as good a chance of getting through as someone who is 24... Probably more chance on balance.

Does anyone know if people in their 30s regularly get accepted onto these courses or is it unusual. Not put off by the ageism :) Just would like to know from anyone who has completed the course in the last few years.

Eric Uenaitch
11th Jul 2016, 21:26
People in their 30s (and 40s) do get regularly accepted. Airservices are not ageist.
The quote re the success rate is absolutely correct though. A big part of the learning is developing the right mindset and 'instincts' which becomes more difficult with age.
The adage,'You can't teach old dogs new tricks' is very true.

Knackers
11th Jul 2016, 21:30
Try again...Pilots face grounding over medical delays

Almost 1000 pilots are facing delays of two months or more to receive the medical certificates they need to fly because of a mammoth backlog within the aviation regulator’s new online medical portal.

About 170 pilots are also within 14 days of having their medical certificates expire — which will *effectively ground them and put them out of work — as the backlog continues to grow and slow down the processing system.

The logjam was created with the introduction of Civil Aviation Safety Authority’s online medical records system, which has been in operation since March 21. The new system was meant to streamline the application process and create a repository of pilot medical records for future use but teething problems with the system has instead created a slowdown that is now affecting hundreds of pilots.

The new system is processing about 1700 medical certificates a month, down from the 2000 a month that the old system was capable of issuing.

The delays mean there is now a backlog of about 900 pilots who are being told to expect waits of two months to receive their certificates. In about 400 cases, some are being told the wait is even longer.

le Pingouin
12th Jul 2016, 03:08
Eric is correct, in the end it all comes down to whether you meet the standard or not. That's all that counts. You at 40 will find it harder than you at 20 as you get slower with age and further from having studied intensely. But you at 40 might find it easier than someone else at 20. It all comes down to the individual - you sink or swim on your merits and won't be cut any slack.

vira
12th Jul 2016, 06:56
APB11,

Give CASA medical a call and speak to Georgie, She is amazing. I personally and a few of my colleagues have used her throughout our complicated processes and her assistance has been invaluable! Ask specifically how long after completion of taking the medicine before you will be eligible for your medical? What clearance documentation will they require?
Preferably get it in writing!!!

With a lot of medicine on the do not take list, you can finish taking it and get your medical a few days later (with the appropriately worded clearance from your doctor). Otherwise, there are some (don't ask me the name... can't remember) that can be a period of 6 months after taking before you are cleared.

As for ASA, I can only go off what I have read. My assumption is that if you are unable to ascertain your medical within the required time and you inform them they "should" delay you for a later course.

Best of luck mate, and if you need some help with CASA medical feel free to PM me, I may not be able to do much but you never know!

APB11
14th Jul 2016, 06:46
Many thanks Vira. I'll take your advice and get in touch with them soon. I'll message you if any more questions crop up, many thanks for your advice so far.

Shibtar
14th Jul 2016, 10:59
Anyone else on En route 124? We have a FB group so PM me and meet your fellow students!

ktmrl
14th Jul 2016, 23:01
Does anyone know if ASA is even considering controllers over 56 in the current international bid that expires 31/07/2016?

renegade154
18th Jul 2016, 06:14
Hi KTMRL. Airservices does not consider age when looking at applicants either for abinitio or experienced recruits. For experienced applicants what is taken into consideration is experience levels and relevance of experience to where controllers are needed.

JC91
25th Jul 2016, 05:23
Anyone on enroute 126? Feel free to Pm me, would love to catch up with anyone prior to our start date.

ktmrl
25th Jul 2016, 23:45
Hi KTMRL. Airservices does not consider age when looking at applicants either for abinitio or experienced recruits. For experienced applicants what is taken into consideration is experience levels and relevance of experience to where controllers are needed.

Thanks Renegade154. I think I'll give it a try.

RVL Roll
28th Jul 2016, 22:59
Hi guys,

Good luck to those still applying.

I have a course start date of 19 September 2016 in Melbourne for Tower only and then off to Perth Tower.

Anyone else at the academy at that time? PM me and hopefully can meet up over a beer.

Thanks

Know I. Deer
30th Jul 2016, 11:16
Congrats RVL Roll! Great news, all the best for your course.

Spacedork
3rd Aug 2016, 03:58
Hi all,

New to the forum, and would like to add to the list of nervous nellies.

Applications closed recently, and I see a lot of you checking your application status. I can't seem to find anywhere to do that. I tried looking where I applied, but my login won't work. Is there a separate link I need to check my status?

Otherwise am I just waiting for the testing?

Thanks,

Spacedork
6th Aug 2016, 03:58
So I'm now able to check my status. Looks like it's under review. How long did you all wait for the testing after the close of the applications?

pineapples
8th Aug 2016, 00:44
Hey everyone I wanted to share my timeline because it varies so much from person to person and it helped me not to lose my mind during the long periods of silence to see what other people have gone through. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

23/02/16 Application submitted
26/02/16 Invite to online tests
7/03/16 OPQ invite
29/03/16 Phone interview
8/04/16 Assessment centre invite
5/05/16 Assessment centre
10/05/16 Reference check advised
17/05/16 Reference check complete
10/06/16 Verbal offer
13/06/16 Medical commence
22/06/16 Medical submitted to CASA
1/07/16 Written offer
3/08/16 Medical certificate granted
4/10/16 Start Date

Spacedork
8th Aug 2016, 00:52
Thanks pineapples. That's a huge help. The application posting closed on the 31st, so now it's just a waiting game. But it's nice to,have an idea of the overall timings once it gets rolling.

Argon_Ionite
9th Aug 2016, 06:03
I am heading to an assessment centre in a month or so and would like to visit an ATC in Sydney beforehand, but when I called ASA they said the general public were not allowed and that I needed to know someone. Can anyone recommend how I can organize a tour/visit?

fletty
11th Aug 2016, 07:13
Hey everyone, just had my phone interview today for grad ATC. Felt like it went alright, it was my first ever phone interview though so don't really have anything to compare it to. Pretty relaxed, asked 2 questions about my interest in the job, and 3 behavioral questions, went for about 15 minutes.

I asked some questions at the end - apparently the October assessment day(s) are being run from Brisbane, and November is looking like Brisbane as well but could be Melbourne. Also looking at a course starting mid to end of next year.

Good luck to anyone else still in the application process!

midnightzulu
12th Aug 2016, 00:11
I've recently been invited to attend a psychometric testing day in Sydney in a couple of weeks time.

Can anyone who has undergone this day give any insight to what the day involves? Also is there any recommended reading for the day - none is mentioned in the confirmation email.

Thanks

I think i got flagged in the past for being too honest? The navcan test had something about have you broken the law and i said yes because i shoplifted some things when i was a kid and also drank and drove when i was a teeneager.

Duke21
12th Aug 2016, 03:58
Hi
I recently applied for the international ATCO vacancies. My application status just switched from "Application under review" to "Application Outcome". I am guessing bad news but I am not sure. Any idea if I should still hope for a positive "outcome"?
Thanks

sunnySA
13th Aug 2016, 10:07
No, you shouldn't expect a positive outcome.

Kaltag
18th Aug 2016, 06:52
Hi JC91 - I am on the same enroute course, but I am unable to PM you (I think I am too new to the forum to have those permissions).

I am moving to Melbourne next month.

JC91
19th Aug 2016, 01:08
Hi Kaltag I tried the send email option so hopefully it comes through :).

IMP3R1UM
22nd Aug 2016, 06:29
Does anyone know when the next round of applications will start? I was told September but reading these posts it looks like that is for course commencement not initial applications.

Thanks in Advance

IJS16
25th Aug 2016, 02:41
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to put my timeline on the forum as I know that it helped me a lot throughout the process knowing that some long waits between contact were normal.

16/2 Applied
24/2 Invitation for online testing
I sat the test about a week later
7/3 Invitation to OPQ online test
15/3 Invitation to book phone interview
30/3 Phone interview
4/4 Notification of waiting list for assessment centre day
12/4 Invitation to book assessment centre day
27/5 Assessment centre day at Tullamarine
6/6 Notice to update referee details
30/6 One referee was contacted

Radio silence

19/8 Phone call with verbal offer for a course starting in January 2017

Good luck to everyone going through the process! I hope this helps. Don't worry too much if you don't hear anything from ASA for a while!

Oldbluedog
27th Aug 2016, 04:33
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to put my timeline on the forum as I know that it helped me a lot throughout the process knowing that some long waits between contact were normal.

16/2 Applied
24/2 Invitation for online testing
I sat the test about a week later
7/3 Invitation to OPQ online test
15/3 Invitation to book phone interview
30/3 Phone interview
4/4 Notification of waiting list for assessment centre day
12/4 Invitation to book assessment centre day
27/5 Assessment centre day at Tullamarine
6/6 Notice to update referee details
30/6 One referee was contacted

Radio silence

19/8 Phone call with verbal offer for a course starting in January 2017

Good luck to everyone going through the process! I hope this helps. Don't worry too much if you don't hear anything from ASA for a while!

PM me please.

IJS16
27th Aug 2016, 20:47
PM me please.

I think I'm too new to the site to be allowed to PM

Jim05
29th Aug 2016, 11:20
Is anyone here on the tower course in Melbourne starting in mid January?

missy
31st Aug 2016, 12:41
We had someone visit Sydney Tower yesterday who said he was on the course

Jim05
1st Sep 2016, 12:34
Is anyone here on the tower course in Melbourne starting in mid January?

I'm asking because I will be moving from Adelaide, and trying to find other people that are moving from interstate that would be keen on renting a share house. Do you think Airservices would give me the details of people in the same situation?

le Pingouin
2nd Sep 2016, 02:44
I very much doubt it - privacy laws.

Bris_77
2nd Sep 2016, 04:00
I'm asking because I will be moving from Adelaide, and trying to find other people that are moving from interstate that would be keen on renting a share house. Do you think Airservices would give me the details of people in the same situation?
Jim05 - Please send me an email or enable emails to be sent to yourself. Thanks

Torque Effect
2nd Sep 2016, 05:45
Hey Jim,
I sent you a pm :)

Know I. Deer
2nd Sep 2016, 08:33
Jim - usually the admin/recruiting staff will ask if you want your email shared with other members of the course prior to course start, that way you can arrange meet ups etc. If this hasn't happened yet you could ask them, but they may do it closer to course start.

Oldbluedog
2nd Sep 2016, 09:56
I think I'm too new to the site to be allowed to PM

Can I ask ER or T ?

Jim05
2nd Sep 2016, 10:30
Jim - usually the admin/recruiting staff will ask if you want your email shared with other members of the course prior to course start, that way you can arrange meet ups etc. If this hasn't happened yet you could ask them, but they may do it closer to course start.

That would be helpful if true, I will ask.

Thanks

IJS16
2nd Sep 2016, 10:37
Can I ask ER or T ?
Old blue dog. It's enroute. I'm still waiting for the letter of offer. Where are you in the process?

atcenthusiast
6th Sep 2016, 11:06
Good luck to everyone that applies for ATC. I thought I'd share my experience on this rainy day to give everyone an insight on my personal story - and also to share why I feel at the crossroads. I'm sorry if this is really long.

I knew that I wanted to do ATC for a long time, not necessarily straight out of school, but I mulled over it for a few years. I didn't however have the requirements. I completed all the hard maths and physics stuff at school, but because I didn't do English as a subject, I was ineligible. I stayed at my job for a while and got in to the routine, enjoyed it, loved my workmates, but needed more. I felt like I was going to waste. My mum and dad were both in aviation and I gradually i gravitated more and more towards something related. I felt like ATC was the most 'me'. I worked in a busy control room that required lots of pre-planning, thinking on your feet, strong mathematical aptitude. Nowhere near as high importance as moving aircraft around but I thought I had lots of skills that were quite transferrable.

So I decided to take the plunge. I thought to myself "you know what, I'm going to try and make this the best damn application possible". I considered the options and at the end of the day enrolled in a Bachelor of Aviation and concurrently trained for my PPL. I wanted to do absolutely everything I could to look impressive. You only get two shots after all. I even weighed up the fact that having a Pilot's licence might be a downfall (anecdotally it seems they get a lot of cocky pilots applying that think they should be given the job - however my attitude is certainly not cavalier). I didn't want to be a Pilot anyway. It's a nice gig, but it's not 'me'.

I did all the research possible I could on the job. I spoke to existing controllers, I visited towers and TCUs and spent hours in there just watching. They would ask me questions to see my knowledge of the job and I was met with 'Wow... Can you explain that to the rest of our team so that they can understand it better!'. I had so much fun in those visits and one of the towers made me promise them that I would come back there to work once I finished my training! I got a busniess card from one of the supervisors and he has been really nice and helpful to me throughout.

I spent three years at uni, dropping to part-time at work, and ended up getting the B. Aviation and PPL (a few hours off CPL) and submitted my application. The process was extremely tough but I felt I did really well. Got through the online tests, phone interview, an online OPQ and made it through to the assessment centre. I was relieved but at the same time, I know I never have any problems with those psychometric-type exercises.

The assessment day was tough. Everyone here that has attended one knows it's not a walk in the park. It's a long day in the sense that they are testing you in many different ways and besides the exhaustion, you're bloody nervous. Notwithstanding all of this I though I did ok. My schedule for the day said I had my ATC simulation session dead last. Something which I wish I had the ability to change and do all over again.

After a very nervous few weeks, I got the notification that I was unsuccessful. My feedback was that I seemed to do ok in everything except I dropped a couple of points in the simulator. I knew I hadn't done as well as I knew I could, but I was confident I had done enough. I was really really surprised, but you just have to trust the controllers that are judging you. You really have to be at 100% for the whole day and unfortunately due to the restless night of worrying the day beforehand, I started the day on a good foot, but by the end, I was just plain tired. Not so much mentally fatigued, but literally tired.

I had a really nice lady on the phone give me my feedback. She said to me that because I was so close, she strongly recommended that I apply again in 12 months time. This definitely gave me hope and I became more determined than ever.

Flash forward to 12 months later (to the day): I rang Airservices HR and just wanted to ask a few questions about putting in my second application and just wanted some general advice on things to highlight given it was my final shot. Now, I'm not going to comment on anyone personally, but let's give the benefit of the doubt and say this person was having a very bad day. I spoke to someone who was so short and rude to me and said (verbatim) "If I was you, I wouldn't even bother". I was completely amazed and devastated. I was told that 'pilot's dont make good controllers' and 'assessment centres were too expensive, so we don't take people on their second application usually'. Finally, I asked why someone 12 months prior strongly recommended me to reapply, she said 'I don't know. If it was up to me - I'd say no'.

So now to today. It's been several years since that last phone call and I've only really had the courage to write anything about it now. I don't feel angry at the fairly merciless feedback, just more disappointed that I didn't quite get over the line on that assessment day. I feel a bit like my dream is shattered now and I'm back working the same job, just with a useless degree and PPL. Sorry to end on such a melancholy note, but I think it's important that people know that sometimes not everything goes to plan and just make sure that you have things in your life that can fill the void if your dream doesn't work out! I think I'm done with this venture now, which is a shame. Good luck to everyone that applies.

TL/DR; I suck at ATC, good luck everyone else.
DMC, I share with others being sad to hear about your experience. I have spoken to lots of people and people do get through on 2nd try. You have heard from one on this post. If you were originally told that you should re-try, take that advice and give it a go. They don't give that advice lightly. Don't let the 2nd person who may not have had the full information put you off.
Part of being an ATC isn't giving up and you have worked so hard with all your study. What do you have to lose - a day or two preparing to be assessed again. It would be great to hear you have another go and potentially be successful. Good luck:)

eltouha
18th Sep 2016, 04:58
i got in on my second attempt, after i wasn't "assertive enough" in the group exercise the first time (i was being polite). anyways, long story short, i was training in tully this year and found the training and management exceptionally poor. nepotism is rife, and the company culture quite disgusting. DMCman, you dodged a bullet.

gemmy
18th Sep 2016, 09:57
DMCman - I strongly encourage you follow your dreams and apply again. You will always be wondering "what if" otherwise.
I've been doing the job for 6yrs now after having a previous professional occupation and it seriously is the best thing I have ever done. I have amazing managers in the centre and my colleagues make every single day an absolute joy, not to mention the job is so satisfying and rewarding. Yes the hours can be tough, but a lot of my friends have great working hours yet can't stand their jobs/bosses. So it's a small trade off.

You get out of the training what you put in. ATTITUDE is huge! Put in extra hours after class each day, have study sessions on weekends with colleagues, go to the instructors and ask if one would be happy to stay back an hour after the shift to go over some things. So many trainees used to blame all their struggles on everyone else other than themselves and ATC is all about taking ownership for your own mistakes and being able to immediately put your hand up when you're at fault (or not!!).

Go for it. It's so worth it.

miki000
23rd Sep 2016, 04:43
Hi everyone,

I attended the assessment centre in Sydney mid September with 5 more guys. I got an email yesterday with an 'update your referees' message. I wonder what happened with the rest of you guys, I can only hope you all get good news, you were a nice bunch. Btw, I was the foreigner.

Good luck everyone.

M

brettozze
30th Sep 2016, 05:30
Hey Guys, wanting to hear from anyone who has recently completed the process from online test and compare it to the assessment day

Is the online test a reflection of what is to come in the assessment day testing or is it more of a general IQ test to cull a large number of applications?

Can you recommend any way to practice or prepare for this so you know what type of test questions you may be faced with?

I researched this forum and came across this post from 2008, is this the same format they currently use for the assessment days?

Thanks in advance :)

The Numerical Reasoning Test was 60 multiple choice questions to be completed in 40 minutes. They were all questions about speed, distance and time and they got harder towards the end of the test. Using aircraft speed, so the km/h numbers were quite large.

While were doing this test, there was another test running simultaneously. This was the Interrupt Test. A cassette tape was playing in the background the entire time and every now and then a voice would say "Pens Down - Listen". Then it would say a set of instructions for us to complete on a separate answer sheet in front of us. There were 25 questions and the question sheet included various sets of patterns, numbers, letters, shapes, etc. The instructions got more complicated as time went on. They were not repeated so you had to get them right first time.

An easy example - "Put a circle in the 2nd box from the left and a cross in the last box"

A hard exampe - "Circle all the vowels in the list that follow a consonant, but if that consonant is W or J then underline the consonant following the vowel."

Obviously designed to see how well we coped when interrupted.

Next - the SORT Test. Two shapes would appear side-by-side on the screen for about 2-3 seconds. If they were identical we pressed the F2 key on the keyboard. If they weren't, then we had to sort the left pattern depending on certain categories. There were about 9 phases of this test. And they rotated between having to sort by colour (Red / Green / Blue), by shape (Square / Circle / Triangle / Diamond) or by number (0-250 / 251-500, etc)

Apart from the speed of the test, it was complicated by presenting over-riding rules that were presented at the top of the screen. These rules varied from "Sort all green triangles as blue shapes" to "If the digits add up to more than 10, then pretend the number is 555". Sorting by colour and shape wasn't terribly difficult, but everyone had a lot of trouble with the number sorting. Given the short space of time they flashed on the screen, it was incredibly had to read the number (which was in smallish print), add up the digits, remember where the cutoff points for the sorting categories were, etc.

The rules sometimes would be vaild for a number of turns, sometimes for 1 turn, and sometimes none at all.

It was testing for reaction speed as well as accuracy.

The 3rd test was another 2-in-1 test.

There was a line on the right-side of the screen and a small square on the left. The square would move towards the line at various speeds each time. About halfway along the screen, the square would disappear and we had to press a button when we thought it had reached the line. That was the Time Estimation part. Scores were based on how far before or after the line we got the square.

To complicate matters was the Pattern Recognition Test. While the square was invisible and moving towards the line, up would appear 2 patterns we had to identify as either "Same" or "Different". Again, the score was based on speed and accuracy. It was like comparing the dots on two dice, except that instead of a square they were in a blue circle and instead of 6 dots, there were 13 positions the dots could be in. Not easy to do quickly when you're trying to remember how quickly the square was moving in the background, but I managed OK there.

The last test was some Practice ATC. We were given a simple square are of airspace and we had to guide planes around to their correct destinations safely and with minimal delay. The were 2 air strips we had to land planes on and 4 small gates we had to fly planes out of (N, S, E, W). As each plane appeared on the radar, we had to click on it to recognise it was there, and then guide it through one of the gates or to an airstrip depending on it's destination. We had to make sure they were at the right speeds, direction and altitude. This was over a period of about 20 minutes. At most there were about 12 planes on the screen at once. It's really just a computer game.

midnightzulu
8th Oct 2016, 22:22
Hi there. Just wondering if Airservices ATC are offered any air discounts or stand-by status with any of the airlines?

hiltonbaby
11th Oct 2016, 07:56
You get 90% off all flights.. 80% off all hotels. 45% off new Ferrari's and when you do an overtime shift Management will try and take 25% off your hours so they can meet their KPI's for their pay rises.

eltouha
14th Oct 2016, 08:51
re: "You get out of the training what you put in. ATTITUDE is huge! Put in extra hours after class each day, have study sessions on weekends with colleagues, go to the instructors and ask if one would be happy to stay back an hour after the shift to go over some things. So many trainees used to blame all their struggles on everyone else other than themselves and ATC is all about taking ownership for your own mistakes and being able to immediately put your hand up when you're at fault (or not!!). " (Gemmy)

this is not actually true for everyone. if you don't live up to the macho masculine culture, get sick, or fall out of arbitrary favour, or are just unlucky, the instructors will completely give up on you, and no matter how much you try to get their support, they will brush you aside, or even go so far as to sabotage your success. i have seen it happen.

they will indeed bend over backwards for you, but only if they like you, and that is entirely arbitrary, and has nothing at all to do with how much effort you put in or your attitude (although i'm sure some lazy or unpleasant people have also garnered that treatment as well).

don't be discouraged if you wish to pursue this career. just be mindful that it isn't the best of employers, and make sure you keep any issues you have to yourself. grin and bear it, use a poker face, do what you need to, but don't trust them to care at all about you, and anything resembling criticism freaks out their little egos quite easily.

le Pingouin
15th Oct 2016, 13:19
"even go so far as to sabotage your success" is quite some claim. How precisely would the instructors do that?

eltouha
26th Oct 2016, 04:33
some ways include (not limited to) misleading study advice, arbitrary exam marking and no legitimate review mechanisms.

if they don't like you, you have zero chance to succeed. they are very petty so DO NOT confide in or question them. if you can stomach being a sycophant, you'll go far.

le Pingouin
26th Oct 2016, 13:57
eltouha, sounds an awful lot like the excuses of the desperate to avoid accepting failure.........

"Nepotism is rife"? Uhh huh. Sort of difficult when the vast majority of us aren't related.

Knackers
26th Oct 2016, 23:52
misleading study advice, arbitrary exam marking and no legitimate review mechanisms.

I have been an ab initio instructor several times over my career, both in the classroom and simulator. What you allege cannot happen. The Academy is a Registered Training Organisation and subject to external oversight and audits. The exams and answers have to go through a separate vetting process prior to being used - beyond the instructor's control. If a trainee isn't happy with the marking, another instructor will also mark the paper. The answers have already been checked by the approval process.

As an RTO, students have both internal and external avenues of appeal and they use them. A corrupt instructor could not hide.

An ATC is required to have 100% knowledge. After an exam, the papers are handed back to the students and the instructor goes through the errors, explains the correct answers and the AIP/MATS references.

My experience is that too many students treat ATC learning as they treated school. They think that attendance will lead to success. They don't put in maximum effort to achieve the high standard required for field operations.

eltouha
27th Oct 2016, 08:18
le pingouin, i see you don't understand what nepotism is. smh. as for your assumption about me, well, did i say it was done to me?

believe what you wish. i know what i saw, and can name names but won't stoop to that level. the point of my posts is to advise new trainees to keep their thoughts to themselves. do not trust those people.

knackers, that is how it should happen. but it doesn't happen for all students. there were a few good instructors, but not many. students have left the organisation in disgust.

le Pingouin
27th Oct 2016, 13:14
Umm, checked a dictionary?

Nepotism: favouritism granted to relatives, patronage bestowed or favouritism shown on the basis of family relationship, the unfair practice by a powerful person of giving jobs and other favours to relatives.

I've made no assumptions other than saying what you've written "sounds an awful lot like the excuses of the desperate to avoid accepting failure".

benjimoomoo
29th Oct 2016, 00:30
Just a quick question for you folks.
I've been in the same job for the past 15 years, and I feel it's time for a change.
I joined the Australian Defence Force straight out of school so I did not go to uni, therefore I don't have the education requirements needed to become an ATC.

The only reasonable way I see of gaining the education requirement is by getting my PPL. Would this method be frowned upon during the recruitment phase? If I submitted an application with a PPL only a couple months old, would that raise alarms?

I know it's a bit of a risk spending all that money on a pilots licence when I may not even get past the first round of the testing. However, I have always been interested in getting a pilots licence so I don't see it as wasted money if I don't get selected.

sunnySA
29th Oct 2016, 09:42
benjimoomoo, I'd ring recruitment at AsA and ask whether based on your background it would be worthwhile applying "as is" (bearing in mind I don't think they are recruiting at the moment, apart from 457 visas).

miki000
29th Oct 2016, 12:12
Benjimoomoo,

I have gone through the whole selection process lately and I don't believe they care how you got your minimum requirements. If you pas the benchmark, you pass, that simple.

Btw, how come you can only see the PPL as an alternative? A TAFE diploma should be pretty easy for someone who aspire to be an ATC, and much, much, much, cheaper than PPL. I'd certainly go for that if I was in your place, moreover, you might even get a job with a diploma (don't expect the same with your PPL)

shortmacc
30th Oct 2016, 06:44
benjimoomoo,

I was in a similar situation, joined the ADF a couple of years out of school. I was obtaining my PPL whilst in the ADF and was waiting to complete it to submit my application for ATC.

I think I basically received my PPL in the mail and submitted the application that same evening. I guess they didn't see it as a bad thing as I am now a couple of weeks away from becoming a rated controller.

If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM.

2R2M
8th Nov 2016, 01:46
Hi all,
I failed the OPQ assessment unfortunately :( They didn't provide me with any follow up as to why. I am only allowed to reapply once more in a years time. What would ones chances be of getting through the selection process a second time around?
Are there any of you that have had this happen to them and made it through after reapplying a second time?

BlockNotAvailable
19th Nov 2016, 23:30
Me. Missed out on my first go. Apply again, nothing to lose either way. You might end up with a job you enjoy doing and get paid well for it.

logansi
22nd Nov 2016, 10:25
Hello all,

Just a quick question for all you guys, I see applications are currently closed, is there a common time of year applications are normally opened? Also I know the process is often quite long, if I was to pass through all stages how long would it be expected to take from application to getting the yay/nay?

Thanks!