PDA

View Full Version : Emirates - Crew Discussions II

Pages : [1] 2 3

TightSlot
13th Aug 2007, 11:53
This Thread is for existing Emirates Crew Only.
Please use the forum SEARCH function for previous threads on this subject - Your question may have been answered already

jeremy21
13th Aug 2007, 17:07
Hi all!

Since the previous thread is now closed, I'm posting here, hoping that people will follow me.
I hadn't been on the forum in a while but it still amazes me how some people get soooooo defensive when their airline is being criticized. :*
Where I come from, freedom of speech is a right and helps improving things. Heard of negative feedback turning into positive improvements? I guess that's why we have quality appraisal forms onboard, which certainly don't always reflect how wonderful EK is! Perfection does not exist as far as I know.
There definitely is a lot to work on but whatever you do, you can never please each and every single person. Until that happens, please show some respect towards others' opinions and views because you certainly don't hold the truth! :=
I think we should all stick to what Bob used to sing before we are turned into slaves: :oh:
Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!
Get up, stand up: dont give up the fight!
And for those ek freaks: :mad: GET A LIFE!!! :mad: (Sorry just needed to let it out!)

Happy flying to you all and no hard feelings HABIBIs!!! ;)

pepito.perez
14th Aug 2007, 17:59
Hi Guys!

Jeremy, totally wiz you, mate.!!:D
It's very nice to see that still some of us carry hope!!.

This is a rumour that I've been hearing for a while now: unions will arrive soon due to a kind of "deal" or "agreement" wiz the EU. Have you ever heard such a thing before?, what do you think?, false or true?, will they do any better to the company and employees or will they only bring problems and headaches to us?

Cheers!

whatzmyname
14th Aug 2007, 19:40
Ha,ha Jeremy, yeah I could see us all singing:
Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!
Get up, stand up: dont give up the fight!

That would be hilarious!:ok: Mind you my roster is so crazy these days that I think I am starting to lose my mind...I might just start singing weird songs at briefing;). Just finished reserve and counted from 1 July-5Aug I flew 126 hours! I usually get close to 100-110 hours but never this much. The other day I was making myself a coffee in the galley and chatting with a fellow crew I opened the sachet of sugar and poured it into the trashbin and then threw the sachet into my coffee!!!:hmm: Everyone laughed but it just goes to show how crazy you get after a while...I need a holiday. If they offered us unpaid leave like they did in 2001 I would surely take it.

SkyHighFlyGal
15th Aug 2007, 01:19
Wow, 126 hours?? Is that flying hours or duty hours? I am yet to start with EK (Oct 12 is my 'fly out' date) but have a friend there already that said 80 hours per month is normal...

Goodness, at 126 hours a month, how am I EVER going to maintain my shopping schedule and beauty regimen?? ;)

Seriously though if that is 'air time' that would be pretty tiring and I think i would also be a candidate for unpaid leave.

SHFG:p

lvaxf
16th Aug 2007, 12:01
Unions? mmmm let's see
they could be good, but who would be the leaders of these unions? how would they be chosen? and how do we know that they will represent us and not the interests of the company? ($$$$$)

man, you've flown a lot! i'm usually around the 100 hour mark, passed it on some ocations but never as much as you!

whatzmyname
23rd Aug 2007, 11:55
Does anybody here know if there is a way to use Skype in dubai? Everything seems to be blocked by etisalat!:*

come_flyin
23rd Aug 2007, 14:10
there are two ways of using skype - computer to computer, which is free and computer to landline/mobile, which costs money. once you have skype downloaded on your computer you can use the computer to computer anywhere in dubai. however you can only use the computer to landline/mobile in the free zone, for example the greens. there is a great cafe in the greens called Berts... its next to KFC and wagamamas... they offer free wireless and make great sandwiches and juices. you can also download skype from there. good luck.

p.s. also dont forget to take your laptop on layovers and use the free wireless in some hotels... examples are entebee, london gatwick, paris, jfk(i think)... all when in the lobby.
;-)

Leito
23rd Aug 2007, 14:49
Hey, did anyone hear anything about getting the crew out of Mileniun tower?, taking them somewhere else?, I think that its just a rumor but who knows? :confused:

whatzmyname
23rd Aug 2007, 17:28
No, Leito havent heard that one before.....I have heard though that they are planning accommodation for married crew. An SFP told me that it will happen sometime next year.... You will have to show your marriage certificate to be able to live in that accommodation and it is only for crew who are married,not other employees (groundstaff etc.)

lvaxf
24th Aug 2007, 01:00
leito, i've heard thar rumour, i've even heard they've started to offer other accomodations... millenium is a bit expensive and apparently they wanna keep managers and flight deck there. don't blame the company, rent must be going up in that area! (just like the burj dubai) hehe

Snakecharmer
27th Aug 2007, 17:52
I paxed out to BKK last week for simulator, recurrency etc on the following flights:

17/18 August EK40 BHX-DXB
18 August EK384 DXB-BKK
23 August EK385 BKK-DXB
23 August EK39 DXB-BHX

Ok, I travelled in my humble FO's uniform but the service on all 4 legs was exceptional - I felt like a VIP guest at times. Based on that experience (my first), Emirates gets my vote - thanks all. :-)

whatzmyname
7th Sep 2007, 13:32
Did anybody go for the flight on the 380? If so,tell us how it looked inside. I'm quite curious to know how large economy is. How did the crew cope on that flight?

lvaxf
8th Sep 2007, 22:45
all very quiet here guys...

anyone flown on the A6-EWA 77L yet?
I know it's doing the afternoon LGW, might fly on it as pax in a few days...
looking forward to the new ICE system and airshow!

Leito
9th Sep 2007, 08:47
The flight was very short unfortunatelly because I wanted to be there much longer so that I could take more pics., anyway, 2 hours flight and the crew were excelent, did a quick service, (gave an iftar box like) and colllected it quick, also gave us the chance to keep the box as it did say A380 or something like that, after the meal service they were very organized and called by sections so that everyone had a chance to go around and take pics.

We boarded by bus, the aircraft was parked outside the engeneering center and we had about 30 min. bus ride as we had to go all around the airport, passing CBC and T2, once on board the aircraft had the Airbus interior, downstairs F/C 1-2-1, and Y/C 3-4-3, upstairs J/C 2-2-2 and Y/C 2-4-2, all with very nice colours and big galleys. We disembarked using the 3 airbridges and everyone inside the airport was by the windows taking pics of the beast, pretty impressive.

The cabin crew was all EK and so was the captain, of course there were Airbus people all around because at the end of the day it still their baby, but it was a nice feeling to see those red hats on boarding.

All in all it was an amazing and unforgateble day, just to know that 55 of those are on the way and possible an other 55 will joing later on, its an overwhelming feeling.

About the B777-200 LR, I will fly it as pax on the inaugural flight from GRU-DXB next month, I cant wait for my J/C seat :E

lvaxf
9th Sep 2007, 10:49
well i hope you enjoy the J seats, i've seen them on the A6-ECA and they are AMAZING! and those screens are gigantic!
the crew for your flight has already been rostered, i was expecting more brazilians!

The Voice
14th Sep 2007, 11:04
Firstly, apologies for gate-crashing the crew thread.

I have just returned from a whirlwind trip from Aus to the Greek isles. I traveled EK PER_DXB_ATH late August and returned yesterday.

I am truly impressed with the level of professionalism displayed by the CC.

Some of the local carriers here could quite comfortably take a lesson!

Congratulations to all, and I shall certainly be flying EK whenever I can in the future.

:D:D:D

whatzmyname
20th Sep 2007, 16:17
What do you guys think of the new procedure of collecting blankets before top of descent? A lot of crew dont seem to like it...however I prefer it that way. It saves so much time after you have landed. It's kind of funny in a way...we are doing the cleaners job (collecting blankets,headsets) and the cleaners are doing our job (checks) :O In other airlines which I have flown with they actually collect the menu's back from the passengers too! I hope that doesnt happen with us. That would be way too embaressing. I personally think we shouldnt give menus in Y-class. It should just be placed on the ice system and pax can check it out on their pvs. Saves a lot of paper and trees. Nobody reads the menu anyways.

stw/Jane
26th Sep 2007, 08:33
Hi guys!!!

I´m flying for Emirates for more than a year, and been flying for two other airlines in the past.
I was reading feedback of passengers and I´m shock with their opinions abouth us (cabin crew):eek:. I know that there is many diferent kind of people, but still...
We have such a good training and than the cabin crew is not able to take a drink to passengers. Hallooooo!!!:confused: There is 8 of us in economy, one can take a call bell. Sometimes we are very tired, but they pay us for doing it.
Maybe, I´m old fashion or wathever,but I like passenger saying they had a good time on board, or "thank you for serving us so good".
Look around and you´ll see how many of crew don´t belong in cabin. This is not job for everybody. := They pay us to smile.
Some of your coleagues want to be in the cabin makeing somebodyes day.

Ali_Xander
18th Oct 2007, 07:33
Cuckoooo....anyone around....are you all flying and not having time to check Pprune....;)

stw/Jane
8th Nov 2007, 11:13
Diploma comercial cabin crew????????:confused:

What are you talking about??????????????:uhoh:

midoy10
10th Nov 2007, 15:28
steward :D you have a good experience but we have 3 category of flight ::)

_commercial class for cabin crew of commecial flight

_business class for cabin crew of business flight

_first class for cabin crew of first class

think you :O

lvaxf
23rd Nov 2007, 08:07
WHERE IS EVERYBODY? trying to see the rosters for december on the portal?

anyway, some news regarding flights to Australia:

Emirates announces Australian expansion

Emirates has announced it will increase flights to Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Perth to 70 services a week by 2009.
Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney will all receive additional flights and new aircraft, with the carrier to fly twice daily to Brisbane in 2008, and three times daily to Melbourne and Sydney from 2009.

Emirates will also launch Airbus A380 direct services from Dubai to Sydney and Melbourne in 2009.

The carrier currently operates 49 flights a week to Australian ports, but will increase this to 56 flights a week in 2008, and again to 70 flights in 2009.

20 November 2007

Source: http://www.travelweekly.com.au/articles/f2/0c0523f2.asp

pepito.perez
24th Nov 2007, 17:28
Good luck guys!
I've heard that they are gonna let us sleep at least three hours in a brand new 777 CRC on all Perth flights. Just to keep us motivated.
Cheers!

baob2oba
27th Nov 2007, 23:18
Have you all noticed that the good old rumour buster website disappeared for nearly a year ???
As promised, it had to be "relaunched very soon in a better than ever form", it simply disappeared...

Any idea why ? mmmmmmmmmm ?

Leito
28th Nov 2007, 00:46
Maybe they just couldn't cope with the amount of rumors around and they simply had to give it up. I was actually looking forward to see it as it was entertaining most of the time to see the things the crew comes up with.

Or maybe they simply don't have the man power to deal with it, who knows?.

One thing is for sure, there are far too many rumors around EK and surely we never have a boring galley chat.

Happy flying !!! :ok:

lvaxf
29th Nov 2007, 03:34
it makes sense to have an aircraft with CRC on the PER flight.
it doesn't on ZRH or HAM-JFK or LHR

but hopefully things will change :)

DesignerChappie
7th Jan 2008, 06:21
Just a short note that hopefully will find the right people who crewed the above flight, to pass on my thanks to you all for looking after me when I collapsed in the rear galley somewhere over Southern Turkey. I only remember one name from the crew and that was Sharon, I don't know her second name (she was Irish and spending Christmas in Ireland with her family), as she had the rather unpleasant task of looking after me during the rest of the flight. They also did a magnificent job of looking after Mrs DC who for a short while forgot how much my pension was worth and seemed genuinely concerned :E
I have no idea what was wrong with me, I have never been ill on a flight before, not even airsick, and I hadn't been drinking either (maybe that was the problem!).
The paramedics at Dubai passed me fit to continue to Sydney to spend Christams with number one daughter.
Many thanks once again and please feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum if required.
Mr. & Mrs. DC

JustinG
9th Feb 2008, 05:57
I was on another popular airline website and something caught my eye. Emirates would have dedicated cabin crews operating solely on the A380. They would have to do it for 24 months and then after those 24 months, I guess they can change fleets? I have no idea how it will work but I just read it so don't shoot the messenger.

Any current EK cabin crews out there heard the same thing? Is this really going to happen?

lvaxf
9th Feb 2008, 08:59
That's correct, if you apply for the 380 you will only fly the 380. And yes, you may only come back to the rest of the fleet after 24 months.
Destinations will be limited for a very long time, plus seniority may be affected, you can't buddy bid with a mate that's not on the fleet.

The company will receive 5 A380 by December, that means it needs roughly 950 crew... just over 10% of the crew that there is.

Will they reach the number they need?

Destinations: JFK (starting 01/10), LHR (01/12), SYD+MEL (01/02/09), CDG (???)

rickygonzales
9th Feb 2008, 12:54
I am Ek cabin crew and i wont and never apply for the 380. thanks

sil1233
9th Feb 2008, 13:34
same here I would say no to A380 :=

Leito
9th Feb 2008, 15:09
:= := := Count me OUT, NO WAY JOSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! := := :=

tsteddy2004
9th Feb 2008, 20:45
I have seen it online..and have been thinking if i should apply. for me..I love the new A/C, but I can also think of tones of reasons why i shoud not apply.
I feel sorry for the Purser, one Pur facing double amount of pax....= double about of complaints

btw has anyone heard about the change of uniform? anyone knows how it will look like?

lvaxf
9th Feb 2008, 23:44
brown, red shoes...

JustinG
10th Feb 2008, 04:38
Will this be a permanent thing? Why can't everyone be trained on EVERY plane? I don't get the motive for this.

baob2oba
10th Feb 2008, 05:14
""Will this be a permanent thing? Why can't everyone be trained on EVERY plane? I don't get the motive for this.""

I guess a GCAA-UAE regulation stipulates that a single and non-crossing SEP license has to be issued for that flying whale.
From what I've seen, this aircraft has really new systems for us ( electric door sys, hygrometry control, much better air recycling sys, equipments nearly everywhere ). From what I've heard during galley chats, many crews are waiting for more infos before applying, rumors around once again!

I thought an SFP would be managing 2 PURs and 4 SFS, but they finally prefered a single PUR and 3 SFS config, I just hope everything will be fine..

Also, regarding the flights, it's now obvious that short hauls/turnarounds will be introduced within 2 years with the 2 class config, and i guess many new joiners will be directly trained for the whale, so it shouldn't delay promotions at all.

By the way, who has infos about the relaunching of our good old R.Buster link on the portal ???

Happy flying !

cirrus17
10th Feb 2008, 17:35
... with regards to the uniform.. and my sources are accurate... same colour as now, but the skirt will be fitted, with little pleats (flares) at the bottom, the insets of which shall be red. Red shoes. Red bag. Smaller hat than now so it perches on back of head rather than tilted down. Uniform will be drafted in on 380 solely to begin with, then brought across to rest of fleet at a later tba date.
The training for the 380 will be several weeks (as opposed to just 4 days for 777 when we were at t college) so all ab initios as of last month as now being trained on it, as well as anyone who applies through the portal this month.

Oh and the crew rest on the whale has chairs in each sleep section also... mmm, roomy!

leemarlon
10th Feb 2008, 18:06
Hi,
What about male's uniform? Will it remain the same style? Sky Blue shirt and beige pant? Black coat? :confused:

Thanks
Marlon

Leito
13th Feb 2008, 15:36
JustinG, you are 17 mate, 4 years away from even fill out the application form and you are already hating the thought to be stuck on the A380 for 2 years, I'm amazed !!! :rolleyes:, (which by the way, by the time that you are legally able to apply, then get the interview, then get the job and then come to DXB it will be a very different story).

Seat back and relax baby !!! :ok: :}

afcwxm
14th Feb 2008, 04:05
My advice to all of you getting exited on here.......dont join EK or if you are a cabin crew already...start looking for another job....because they can just drop you at a touch of a button!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:=

Leito
14th Feb 2008, 10:49
Interesting.......but care to explain a bit more why do you kindly give everyone that wise advice? :confused:

vickster
14th Feb 2008, 11:02
i've already applied for the 380 . you get to work with a smaller fleet so more chance of actually getting to know your collegues but big enough to not see them every day . JFK LHR CDG are great destinations i think

and oh my god picturing that new uniform i'm not so sure any more but the way its fitted at the moment sucks so i'm up for anything.

when do they start operating the bus380 ??

lvaxf
16th Feb 2008, 03:17
With the arrival of the 2nd whale, JFK 201 will be daily on 380 as of 01/10.
LHR 001 01/12 daily.
Surely some t/a or near layovers (like CDG), just like they did with the 77L.

Mari
16th Feb 2008, 13:46
Hi!

It always amazes me that how much people generally afraid of new things... I'm looking forward to the change!

I'm a G1, working for Emirates for 2 years.

I know: dollar is sucks but still, we pretty much make a good money as accomodation is provided.

I know: too much work. Well, you might want to work for Ryanair where the flight time limitation is 1200 hours a year (note: it changes in April), doing 4-6 sectors a day, having 10-12 stand-by-s a month. You might want to work another internation airline and wait for 3 years to get a long-haul flight. You might want to work for charter company and doing all the same routes... etc. It's your choice.

There are good and bad things about Emirates. If you are a young and healthy person you might want to concentrate on the good ones: lots of destinations and easy life (no bills, beach, sunshine). If you are fed up with living in the desert, you might want to move to another country with 4 seasons.

ABOUT THE 380s:

I'm very excited to fly this new aircraft, I already applied. I don't care about the new uniform, I care about quality, big galleys, good equipment, nice athmoshper with crew. I'm sure the pursers will be able to face this challenge: I don't feel sorry for them. We'll see...

We all know the first destinations. As they are all long and ultralong-haul flights, I expect to have 15-20 days off a month. (The lay-overs might be longer at the beginning, as we won't have enough airplanes.) I would like to spend more time with my boy-friend in Dubai and visit my family and friends in Budapest (Hungary, Europe). Good reason to apply? Well, we'll see...

We still have 6 months to become the first aircraft. Application ends 1st March. I expect most of the G2s, G1s to be upgraded by that time. One 380 requires appr. 150 crew. I expect that the upgrades will be much faster than usual. The new joiners obviously won't have a choice: they will be schedualed and might be upgraded for business class in 6-10 months if it is necessery. We'll see...

The same destinations at the beginning. Yes. After 2 years? I think it will be a privilage to apply for this aircraft type. The people, who don't apply now, will probably be listed for the training on a waiting list. We'll see...

I'm sure we'll do long-hauls mostly in 2009. The aircraft makes money when it is in the air. Later? Yes, you might get 2-4 turn-arounds a month. Just like now. We'll see...

FOR WANNABEES: if you are hired now, you still get the old training. If you join in 3-6 months, they wont't give you a choice. Your luck... I expect the experienced crew to be put on the 380s as they are good SFS-materials.

Well, I've been thinking about this for a long time, so the decision was easy to make. I wanted to share my opinion with you.

We cannot look into the future, just use our common sense and experience to try to figure out what could happen...

See you aboard!

JustinG
17th Feb 2008, 02:38
I'm not "HATING" the fact of being on the A380 for two years, I was just kind of concerned a little bit because I would lile to see variety of trips on my roster. JFK, CDG, LHR, SYD+MEL, plus a few turnarounds, does seem fun, don't get me wrong but what if you get bored of flying to just those destinations? Granted, I won't be able to apply in another 4 years but I'm just thinking right now.

baob2oba
17th Feb 2008, 22:32
Ah it's nice to be looking forward to the change!

I just wonder what's gonna change in J class... Still 42 pax.
So, 2 or 4 or 6 engines, 1 or 2 or 3 decks. Maybe is it all about the size, it looks impressive on the stand, and then? Ah yes, looks cool ya " yo guyyyyys i fly the a388 !!!"
There's no real excitment, I'm still trying to understand how it could become a privilege to fly it one day, as the civilian traffic grows mostly in terms of a/c range, so basically everyone will have to fly it. ( Same kind of story with the 345 long time ago..)

Secondly, many crew members find it HARD to cope with ULR duties. Many posts around about ULR royal pain, fatigue, stress after 14 to 16 hours in a pressurized aluminium tube flying at 550kt with a cabin altitude of 6 to 8000ft...

Then regarding the "easy life" down here. It might be fun, for some time, for a young single. But for the MANY others who have been living here for years, with bills, family life, etc, it ain't that great anymore.

A quick look & see, a few cvs sent in many of the big companies in the UAE made me understand that 15.000aed + accomodation +&+&+ is the minimum around for a fresh graduate ( yeah, i'm getting "institutionalized" in the golden jail ).
Find it hard sometimes to feel a "team member" of the group with my more than 50% hourly paid salary, and believe me i work hard.

Anyone knows how come the turnover is so huge at EK? How can they make this hiring/resigning scheme "profitable" instead of capitalizing on their workforce?...

Still many questions...

Anyway, happy and safe flying to everyone !
:)

gadgetman
18th Feb 2008, 09:14
Would you recommend Emirates? This is one of the questions on the survey they are circulating right now.
Would I???? Well, I used to.
Now, it depends on your priorities.

If you are less concerned with a pay packet, the abysmal exchange rates and the rampant inflation won't be a problem for you.

If you are less concerned about travel, the 24hr layovers after 14-16 hour flights won't be a problem for you.

If you are less concerned about health, the implications of sleep debt or 24hr aircon won't be a problem for you. (You MAY have a window in your apartment that opens)

If you aren't concerned about job security, the threat of immediate termination, with no representation, or support system won't be a problem for you.

If you aren't concerned about being treated like an adult, the 1am curfew for visitors, the permission letters required for family members to visit, and the condescending training won't be a problem for you.

If you aren't concerned about a professional work environment, then the endemic sexual harassment, seniors abusing their positions of power, or the demagogic methods of leadership used by many won't be a problem for you.

I joined several years ago, when it was a much different place, and there were several positive aspects to the place. It has been painful to watch these dry up, and it has drained much of my normally optimistic outlook to the point where it is no longer a place I can recommend for new crew.
Sorry if this is not what you want to hear, but it's not an uncommon outlook, and goes a long way to explain why so many leave after ever decreasing periods of employment.

Mari
18th Feb 2008, 11:56
I wish I found the best place to live and the ideal company to work for!!!

Let me know, if anybody finds it...

Leito
18th Feb 2008, 17:21
well..... you know what they say.....

KEEP DISCOVERING !!!!

or is it KEEP RECOVERING??? :}

Mari
19th Feb 2008, 11:35
I'm trying... I really hope I will get my Houston-s and a lot of days off next month.;)

whatzmyname
20th Feb 2008, 10:35
Off days....Hmmm...I miss those! The few legal off days I do get I sleep through!:eek:

exEKflygirl
25th Feb 2008, 06:49
How funny. You have 3 years until you even think about applying and you have already started bithing moaning and joining in the "Oh it's not fair" debate...

As an ex EK Hotie.. you will be trained on what you are told and the conditions they want you to work under will be exactly what you will do. As far as they are concerned there are plenty of fresh pups like yourself that would be gladly moundled into what they want.

Just a tip.

exEKflygirl
25th Feb 2008, 07:10
My advice is just dont go there.. save yourself the time, hassel and run around!

QWERTAA
25th Feb 2008, 08:28
good to know they finally changed the perth flight ot a 345 with bunk beds,wonder if we will be allowed to use them tho..how's the KG survey going boys & girls:) filled in your motivational levels yet

Leito
25th Feb 2008, 20:59
how's the KG survey going boys & girls:) filled in your motivational levels yet

Hang on a minute, wasn't TD doing the survey?, is KG doing an other one?, Am I missing somethign here? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :eek: :eek: :eek:

About time the A345 gets to PER :D, and surely we'll be able to use the bunks, right? :uhoh:

Smell the Coffee
25th Feb 2008, 21:17
rachel

Sleep deprivation is indeed a common factor to all longhaul flying but I can't emphasise how close to the mark "gadgetman" is with his comments re: Emirates.

Some of the concerns he lists are either unique to flying with Emirates, or unique to employment with any Middle Eastern carrier.

I'm sorry to say this, but Emirates is not what it was even as recently as 5 years ago.

If you are absolutely desperate to do longhaul and don't really care about the conditions you'll be asked to worked under, Emirates is still an 'ok' choice.

If that's not the case, and you'd like to work in a friendly atmosphere with the chance to fly longhaul in 3 or so years I would stay well away from Emirates. :yuk:

I know, I flew for them. Much happier since I joined another major airline in Europe; the difference is refreshing. I don't even miss Dubai, though I get rostered to fly to DXB now and then! :)

Don't get me wrong, this is not an anti-Emirates post. I had a great time there, but then I joined as a graduate with no other airline work experience. If you've already worked for a decent European airline then going to Emirates would be pretty tough....

Mari
25th Feb 2008, 23:39
Which major airline???

I'm just curious because as far as I know, BA is always on strike, Al Italia is close to be bankkrupted, Air France only hires French, Lufthansa's starting salary is not attractive (for me, compare to EK), anyways, I have the disadvantage not to be German... Maybe in Switzerland?

Well, I would be happy to work in my home country... What a pity that the ONLY big airline (Malév) just dismissed 10% of the crew, SkyEurope left the market and Wizz Air (low-cost) only hires 21-year-old girls who are willing to work for 4-500 euro a month.

Oh, and that's the end of the list.

Yes, I would recommend Emirates for people who have no other options.

Smell the Coffee
26th Feb 2008, 00:53
Yes, I would recommend Emirates for people who have no other options.

That's not exactly a great endorsement of your airline :bored:

as far as I know, BA is always on strike

This statement is completely false, perhaps you should ask a BA crewmember to confirm this?

Emirates has its good and bad sides, as does any large airline.

Hey, there are bad sides to working in Europe: it tends to be an expensive place to live, taxes can be high and weather variable...but I accepted this when I left Emirates and Dubai. My EK colleagues couldn't understand me but I knew perfectly well that I had had enough. Lucky for me I made the right decision.

I don't want to discourage anyone from applying to Emirates. It will probably be a great experience and a good introduction to the world of customer service.

All I would say is do not assume that EK as a company is any better to work for than the alternatives...do a little research, speak to people. You may find it's not for you.

QWERTAA
26th Feb 2008, 06:12
hey leito, sorry it was the TD survey i was talking about ,:) with regards to the bunks on the 345 for per,im not too sure if we wil be given the OK to use them maybe that wil take another 3 years ,just like the curtains that were supposed to come in a long time ago.Has anyone done the IAH flight would like to get some feedback regarding how the trip works as a daily pattern.
Happy Chicken Or Beefing people.

777w
26th Feb 2008, 09:58
This just in....MEXICO AND LAX MIGHT START THIS YEAR !!!!!
Also looking at RIO...
HAM-JFK might become...HAM-IAH OR LAX
also DXB-Caracas-Beunos Aires

Happy Flying!!!!!!! :)

whatzmyname
28th Feb 2008, 13:58
What's your source or is this just galley gossip again?

EX_QR_SLAVE
28th Feb 2008, 14:38
CCJ and CAN have also been put in the schedules

Is SEZ a turnaround flight now?

leemarlon
28th Feb 2008, 15:23
Hi there,
I am a new joiner, will EK launch Mexico City and Caracas Venezuela this year? how excited! LAX or ORD as well? :ok:

Marlon

basseterre
28th Feb 2008, 15:41
Hi,

We got some posts saying EK is not a such a good place to work. Those posts came along arguments which illustrated : "Not Good" :=

But what about people who like this place ? Please do balance, give also arguments for : "Good Place" :O

And what about the survey ? Do you think it will realy change something ?

I'm a new joiner and just would like to know where I put my feet.
So thank you all. ;)

Y.

whatzmyname
28th Feb 2008, 17:16
basseterre,you already joined so it's a bit too late to be asking these questions....You should do your research before you join,not after.

Keep Discovering,Keep Recovering!

gadgetman
29th Feb 2008, 04:48
SEZ is a 12hr layover at most now, or a turnaround with augmented crew. (16 crew for 2/c A330, 4 extra) You do get 6 seats behind the long awaited curtains however.

gadgetman
29th Feb 2008, 05:15
But what about people who like this place ? Please do balance, give also arguments for : "Good Place"

Fair question, although as already pointed out, you might have been better off checking this out prior to accepting the position.
Working with EK will enable you to travel to stacks of places you would struggle to get to otherwise, and if you can go without sleep for a long time, the 24 hr layovers will help you explore them bits at a time. Don't depend on the other crew to explore them with you (they'll be hiding in their rooms eating 2 minute noodles), and you'll be fine. Emirates is great for developing a sense of independence.

If you don't want the hassle of paying electricity bills or other aspects attached to adulthood, living in crew accomodation will also help help develop you sense of co-dependence. It's really very well rounded like that.

Other positive aspects include....

wait for it....

hang on, I'll think of one any time soon...

umm....

cheap tickets! no, the special offers you can get from a hundred other sources are comparable, damn.

How about the excitement of living in Dubai, the worlds biggest construction zone? Much of it will be out of your income bracket, but at least you can go outside 7-8 months of the year to enjoy the rest of it.

KFC and Burger King do home delivery! YES, finally a genuine positive aspect!, I'm so proud.

And what about the survey ? Do you think it will realy change something ?

Unlikely. The crew managers might get a wake up call about how little they are trusted, but other than a memo ordering them to be more 'supportive' when issuing warning letters to people with 3+ sickdays, it won't change jack. (This is presuming that people filled it out believing it is anonymous, which few do)

I'd really, really, like to think otherwise, but experience tells me otherwise.

basseterre
29th Feb 2008, 08:51
Houaou !!!

It seems that dubai and EK are great for developing a sense of humor too.

;)

Leito
29th Feb 2008, 15:29
Hey guys, I thought that thie thread was for the "actual EK crew" and not the "want-to be" ones.

By the way, has any of you done PER lately?, are the famous curtains up yet?, what's the story now, meaning what are the DOs and DON'Ts?, has anything changed?

Happy and safe flying !!!! :}

Letsfly
29th Feb 2008, 17:22
Just did shanghai and we had the curtains so I assume perth would be the same.

No rules really..movies, sleeping allowed as its not possible for the pax to see. Only managed about 1.15 minute break on the way back (9 hour flight) As there are only 2 seats availble for economy we have to split into 4 breaks. (8 crew including SFS in ey.) Better then nothing though!

kubalibre
29th Feb 2008, 23:48
Maybe the following questions belong in the wannabe thread, but maybe some experienced crew can answer it.
How strict are EK about the medicals?
Do you really need you to have perfect medical reports and results?
Any stories out there about people getting final approval with not so perfect medical results?
Any stories out there about people getting rejected after the golden call?

777w
1st Mar 2008, 10:16
the venezuela route will start ...cuz i know that the recruitment team is there right now trying to increase the no. of crew from caracas...also i know somebody in sales and thats what they had to tell me about this route....EK is really keen to tap into the South American Oil Market Travellers!!! :ok:

Also could someone confirm a deccompression alert on an Indian bound flight on the 29th of feb!!!!!

777w
1st Mar 2008, 10:20
YES...and will stay like that for a while as EK had a fallout with our hotel in SEZ..regarding SECURITY ISSUES :ugh:!!!!! So lets hope (but not be too optimistic!!!!!) that SEZ will return to being a layover!!!!!!!

QWERTAA
2nd Mar 2008, 05:08
hey leito, just did a PER(420) the other day and yes the curtians are finally up, we got a good 45 mts of rest there :) had such a blast:) on the bright side atleast the option to sit and sleep has come back
happy flying people

gadgetman
2nd Mar 2008, 19:04
The iron curtain has been placed on the PER flights, but not every flight apparently. Overheard a rather irate conversation the other day from a 420 flight that was not installed with the curtains. I'm not sure if they got them in the end, but they aren't nogo items at the end of the day.

Be warned, the crack management team of CSI's (Crew Sickness/Sleeping Investigators) will still drop down on ANY crew who admit to sleeping outside a curtain like a ten ton heavy thing.

Be sure to tick the appropriate boxes regarding crew morale in the survey.

Leito
2nd Mar 2008, 21:08
Right, it looks like there are no changes then, it was easier for Airbus to sort out the delays of the A380 than for EK to put up the curtains :uhoh:, it was too good to be truth.

Ohhh well, KEEP RECOVERING !!!! :ugh:

whatzmyname
3rd Mar 2008, 03:13
Perhaps they dont know how to stitch a curtain?!:ugh: I will offer my services for free!!!:}
We are not important to them. That is why they cant be bothered.

cirrus17
3rd Mar 2008, 11:37
I presume I speak for everyone when I say...

"Oh my god, I am so tired right now"

that stupid fog..... and oh joy, back on stby tomorrow....

now, where's that brick wall.....?

whatzmyname
3rd Mar 2008, 19:01
The gossip among the pilots is that +/- 350 first class crew resigned in January and that is why they have placed that survey on the crew portal.....
The numbers for Gr2,Gr1,SFS,PUR are not known...
How do they find out these things?

helfsich
7th Mar 2008, 15:36
Operated the 424 on 3rd Feb and 8th Feb - First flight was without the curtains but the one on the 8th did have them. Went back to Perth for my leave on the 16th feb and came back on the 26th and neither of those flights had curtains, despite the latest memo stating they were to be installed on all flights from 2/2/08.

Also was pulled out for PVG on the 4th of march, and whilst there were curtains on the way there, for the 10 hr flight back they were most definately absent.

I stopped expecting the curtains long ago. For almost 2 years we'd been promised these, and out of the 20 or so flights I've operated there, the flight on the 3rd was the first time I've even SEEN them, let alone made use of them. And even when you finally get to close your eyes, sleep is still virtually impossible with the constant rabble from tipsy pax in Y/C (for which it is a day flight).

If only I wasn't from there...:{

Leito
7th Mar 2008, 22:53
Thanks for the update, please don't forget to mention it on T.D. survey.

What to do? :}

Mari
8th Mar 2008, 09:37
Resigning crew in the last 2 months according to the gossips I heard:700 or 800 or 1700. I don't know which number is correct but most likely it's a lot. I also heard that a big number of new crew resigned during the probationary period.

One of the G2s on my last flight flew 134 hours last month. Poor thing! No wonder why. What is the max? Is it really 150 hours per month???

What else I heard? A positive thing: good bonus, massive pay-rise and higher accomodation allowanse. I never believed in a pay-rise like 15-25% but I'm starting to hope because of the large amount of people who resigned. No, I'm not expecting 50 or 70%. Yes, it would be nice but I don't think so... Well, they did it at Gulf Air last year... let's hope that miracles happen! (Unfortunately, it doesn't help the inflation and the instability of the dollar. Pay-rise is NOT the solution for the problems.)

Have you seen the Gulf News? The 380 destinations were launched. (I'm surprised it was not mentioned on the Crew Portal. How come?) New York from 1st of October, London from 1st of December and Sydney-Auckland from 1st of February 2009. Nothing unexpected. I hope my thinking was correct: many days off and quick upgrade.

Oh, and one of my purser friend got a letter that she MUST apply for the 380. She's new (I mean new purser). So, it seems to me that people will be selected by negative seniority just like at Singapore Airlines. (They are also struggeling to get enough crew, even though the 380 crew is paid better.)

What else? According to my source the recruiters tell the people on the Open Days that they will ALL be trained on the 380. They will have a chance to change for the other fleet after 6 months. (Most likely the sick days and absents will be considered as usual.)

These are ALL gossips, nothing is confirmed. I hope we will experience some positive changes at the company this year.

Have a good day!

Sonic83
9th Mar 2008, 20:59
Hello EK Crew,

Actually I am Lufthansa Crew in training and I attended an Ek selection process before! It was well but there is one thing I have to say! If you know this stupid turkish cabin crew recruitment lady called "Yeliz" or "Feliz" with short blond hear tell her that it is a shame that EK sends soooooo unfriendly and arrogant recruiters to look for new crew! She is the baddest person I have ever met in cabin crew recruitment processes!!!!! Cold, unfriendly, arrogant.....just bad! I hope that EK doesnt have soo many employees like her!!!!!!

Thats all of it:-)

whatzmyname
10th Mar 2008, 14:16
EK Cabin Crew has no contact with the recruitment department at all. We wouldnt know her. Unfortunately if you have ever been to Dubai...there is a lot of that kind of mentality around (rude+arrogant).

Omani
11th Mar 2008, 03:24
I guess u know wt im talking about........Honestly i think it was disgusting and shameful.I mean how stupid can u be.
Anyway both of them got the boot.

Leito
11th Mar 2008, 06:33
What video?, I have no idea what are you talking about, please provide a link to the video so that we all see it, thanks !!

whatzmyname
11th Mar 2008, 12:09
Yeah,what video? Have I missed out on something. Give us some more clues about the video. Can we access it online?:confused:

GBB
11th Mar 2008, 19:36
Video is called "EK Standards" ;)
I dont think u can find it on the net but ask some CC on any of ur flts, sure somebody will have...
Its about TWO, having fun... Hehehe

thesource
11th Mar 2008, 21:26
Why do you want to join the Emirates Group???
If anybody is able to offer some suggestions in answering this question that is on the cabin crew application...

Why do you want to join the Emirates group???? max 4000 words.

Any suggestions or what other people that have written that have been successful would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

whatzmyname
13th Mar 2008, 06:48
"thesource" this is not a wannabe thread so please ask in the correct thread. We are not going to do your homework for you. Sorry.This thread is ONLY for crew who are already employed and we really have no desire to talk about recruitment. Been there,done that many years ago.

midoy10
13th Mar 2008, 10:58
WHY NOT HELP PEOPLE TO DO THIS THINGS OR BECAUSE YOU ARE CC YOU FORGET THAT YOU ARE IN ORIGINAL A SAME BEFORE JOIN EK :mad:
BE EASY MEN PLUS I KNOW THIS THREAD FOR THE CC ONLY:cool:

Leito
13th Mar 2008, 12:18
So, what video are you talking about?, where is the link?, c'mon give us a clue !!!! :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Mari
13th Mar 2008, 18:07
Video

Maybe... just maybe she mentioned the DVD (Emirates Group World - The video magazine for Emirates Group Staff).

I haven't watched it yet but I got curious. What could be so shameful and disgusting???? I cannot even imagine...

whatzmyname
13th Mar 2008, 19:51
Emirates is starting to fly to Los Angeles on 1 Sept. Going to be 26 hour layover only. I'll skip that one.It takes me forever already to recover from a New York flight,let alone L.A. I'm sure there are a lot of crew who are very interested in going there. I will go there as a pax,not crew.

afcwxm
14th Mar 2008, 01:18
a fact 60 of the korean crew left last month!!!!!!!!

afcwxm
14th Mar 2008, 01:24
Only 750 crew applied to fly on it out of ..what 8000 cabin crew...goes to show what crew feel at the moment!!!! less than 10%

GBB
14th Mar 2008, 04:44
Hey all,
Video that everybody talking about is about two CC...
Girl is giving a BJ with full uniform and EK hat on. :eek:
Ask some CC or flight deck about it, somebody will have it on their mob.
Enjoy :8

P.S Dont think you can find it on-line

14th Mar 2008, 06:34
GBB - your comments are so disgusting. come on mate - is this the place to state such comments? shame on you. perhaps you are one of those that have the video and if you do, and, you are one of the ek staff, you are better off deleting it.

helfsich
14th Mar 2008, 10:32
Have also heard about all the korean crew resignations, but the number was more around the 200 mark. Something to do with Lufthansa opening up a base in Seoul, but yeah don't know for sure.

Also saw the new briefing centre yesterday - very nice. 32 rooms, computer printed bag tags, baggage carousel at arrivals, nice standby area, showers... should be in by June. Pilot briefing rooms next to cabin crews. They get 3 minutes to brief us. Cabin crew briefing is only 12 minutes - everything is timed! Pursers to handle Duty Free float too.

We were also told that out of the 750 applicants for the double deckers that 70 of them were pursers and they reckon that rather than be short of A380 crew they're gonna have to reject some. Was kinda shocked to be honest...

777w
14th Mar 2008, 16:23
ISTANBUL BECOMES A LAYOVER NEXT MONTH ....:ok:
heard it from a LOCAL SFP!!!!!

WANNA C HOW EK's IMAGE is going down the drain in the eyes on AVIATION ENTHUSIASTS...follow this link : http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/3886462/

HAPPY FLYING !!!

baob2oba
14th Mar 2008, 22:17
""ISTANBUL BECOMES A LAYOVER NEXT MONTH ....:ok:""

Let's wait and see, I now only believe in what i see....
IST layover and SEZ turnaround, no gain no loss!

afcwxm
18th Mar 2008, 05:02
E-english
M-management
I-indian
R-run
A-arabs
T-take
E-every
S-success

:ugh:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pax Agent
18th Mar 2008, 18:52
Hi you busy bees at EK!
I'm LGW based crew for British Airways and just wanted to ask you a more techie question than the usual what should I wear rubbish we have to deal with (as do you) on our BA forum! :ugh:
I understand you are rostered 8 day off in a month but can I ask if you have a minimum turnaround time between flights.
i.e minimum hours between east-west/east-east/west-west/or intra-gulf?

Also can I ask what your trip patterns are like...

how many 1/2/3/4/5/6 day trips you have available...thanx guys...keep flying and i'll wave to you when I get back to LGW!
You better wave back! lol ...:}

whatzmyname
18th Mar 2008, 20:16
Anything goes here as we do not have unions and are not allowed to have them either. Minimum turnaround time, I think is about 12 hours but I could be wrong. Many 'grey' areas in our policies. Doesnt matter where you fly to,if they want you to go,you go.No choice. We have a lot of flight patterns and I'm too lazy to type it:Osorry. Hope I answered at least some of your questions.

I would wave back to you but canot find the icon that does it.:)

whatzmyname
18th Mar 2008, 20:19
It has been a rumor for the past year and denied many times by the company as well and now they are confirming it. Emirates is launching a BUDGET AIRLINE!!!!! This is the announcement by our CEO.

"Emirates welcomes this announcement, and any new Dubai airline operation. Dubai's Open Skies policy encourages the growth of air transport, which has and continues to contribute to the development of this city. The new airline, a low cost carrier, will complement the international air services already provided by Emirates. As Chairman and Chief Executive of Emirates and Chairman of the new low-cost airline announced today, I can confirm that Emirates will extend its support to the new company, he said.

lvaxf
19th Mar 2008, 21:42
i hope it doesn't affect the bonus...

worst-class
20th Mar 2008, 04:54
Does anyone know what's actually happened to the girl in the afore mentioned video. Has she been sent home or is she detained in Dubai?

Ali_Xander
20th Mar 2008, 06:26
As far as I know, she never came back from her layover! :ooh:

shinners
20th Mar 2008, 11:31
but r u paid in dollars??

listen to me, my last airlines I worked for was a european charter...

never flew more than 70 hours, always 10 days off per month, 2 days off after each long haul flight (in some cases 3 days) and my last salary: 60 hours 2100 euros (3300 dollars) as a junior

the problem?

that after 4 month contract they fire you without giving a reason even if your reports were all good. and even if they give you another contract is always a 4-6 months and after that you have always to pray in the hope thwy'l give to you another one. you can't have holidays, you can't ask for no rostering changes or switch, if thy call you you have to fly even if it's a day off. and after some years of this life they can not contact you anymore because they don't want to give other permanent contracts (the permanent ones who joined some years ago have a real easy life and great money)

cirrus17
21st Mar 2008, 05:44
.. not that anyone turns their phones off anyway....:ugh:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7308041.stm

Mari
23rd Mar 2008, 17:08
Dear Shinners,

We are paid in UAE dirhams. As a new one, you will make 7-8000 dhs per month, plus meal allowances (1-2000 dhs) paid on lay-overs in local currency. (Pay-rise is in May in every year.) Salaries are higher as you go for business, first class, SFS (senior flight steward - like a supervisor) and purser.

1 dollar is appr. 3,65 dhs.

Accomodation is provided and you don't have to pay for electricity, water. Transportation to and from the airport is provided.

See more information on www.emiratesgroupcareers.com

whatzmyname
23rd Mar 2008, 19:53
Yes Blue,they would still have your file.... You have to apply via the emirates website like everyone else. There is a part in the application process that will ask you if you worked for EK before and you will have to click on that. Dont worry about your previous history. They love having old crew back. Good luck!:ok:

leemarlon
25th Mar 2008, 16:36
Hi there,
Can someone tell me or had experienced a long waiting for their final approval? I have been waiting for almost 2 weeks and nothing so far...

They told me not to resign until i am advised to do so, that's my concern that I need 1 month of notice period and I have no such approval to resign...my DOJ (April 18) is apporoaching so quick and no idea what to do. I had tried to called them but no one picked up the phone...today i got an email from EK stating that:

Just kindly wait for the final approval e-mail and then reply back to us regarding your request to change of joining date.

how long it usually takes to get the final approval? :ugh:

GBB
25th Mar 2008, 18:23
Can take 4-5 weeks, u never know :)
Just be patient, no news is good news :ok:
Im sure u gonna be alrite and they just going to move ur DOJ a bit as they did with mine.
Took me 10 weeks form my open day till actuall DOJ so sit back and relax!
They usually slow in HR and with all shifting from old to new HQ these days they might be in a bit of mess :ugh:
Keep Discovering, hehe :8

afcwxm
25th Mar 2008, 19:00
He Must Be Sh##t Scared At The Moment For His Job
Who The Hell Wants To Even Go To A Horse Race That You Cant Bet On....but One Thing I Can Say Is That Him And Td Will Be There Courtesy Of Ek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am Getting Fed Up With This Ek Attendance Regime And Will Sign Sick ...not Because Of Horse Racing ..but Because Of Poor Ek Management...

All Crew Remember Ek Dont Care About You Only Targets ...fact

leemarlon
25th Mar 2008, 20:52
Also, the final approval will be granted via email or phone call? Because as per the email they replied...just kindly wait for the final approval " email "...so it could be email then. How was your experience? :sad:

afcwxm
26th Mar 2008, 00:35
quote from his portal message

As the very popular Dubai World Cup approaches this weekend - with special events in some of the bars and clubs as well - I wanted to issue a reminder regarding attendance for duty! I urge you to avoid disruption to your colleagues and our customers due to a temptation to call sick or miss a duty. I appreciate your support.

what is I wanted to issue a reminder?????? should it not be i want to!!!!!!

any experts in english can agree with me????

:=:=:=

.goldenboy
26th Mar 2008, 01:39
Hello Guys !!
I just received a movie clip called -----> EK standard<----- with the story line , I couldnt believe what i saw .. :eek::eek::eek: .... does anyone here know about this ?

cirrus17
26th Mar 2008, 08:29
she resigned. he was eventually traced by security and was "asked to leave"

moral of story? don't leave videos on your phone lying around for others to forward.......:oh:

whatzmyname
26th Mar 2008, 13:37
Am I the only one that did not get the movieclip???:{I'm sure those people at training college are buzzing about this. Nothing like a good scandal in EK. Will keep them gossiping for weeks to come and I'm sure the security department will add some spice to the story too...It's all a bit like being in High School isn't it? That is probably why KG send us that 'HighSchool' memo about our work attendance because we all get treated like children anyways. Perhaps he should consider that we are pressing #2 because we are dead tired and fatigued?:confused: Anyways,enough complaining from my side. Enjoy the races!:ok:

sil1233
26th Mar 2008, 15:34
The movie was circulating on youtube for while , I have seen it too ..she's really brave to do such an act in uniform !!! I heard that its not anymore EKs problem as the authorities in dubai knew about it too and she had to spend sometime in jail cause what happened wasnt between husband and wife.

stellarnina
28th Mar 2008, 08:32
^ nope she was out of the country when the 'higher-ups' found out who she was. her friend called her to tell her what's going on. so she hasn't come back to dubai since. she got away.

whatzmyname
29th Mar 2008, 09:22
I noticed a lot of Ozzie crew are resigning...heard they are aiming for V Australia. Also lots of the Korean crew are going as apparently Lufthansa is opening a base in Seoul and I also hear Finnish Air is also opening a base in Seoul but I am not too sure about that one. Seems like there are going to be lots of flights with less crew again. Anyways,I wish everyone the best wherever they go.:ok:

sil1233
29th Mar 2008, 16:37
I heard 300 Korean crew resigned in one day to join Lufthansa

Mari
29th Mar 2008, 16:44
Yes, the V Australia. Isn't it funny that they even came to Dubai to recruit? I'm European but a lot of Australians I know went for the open day. I checked out their homepage: they need crew for 777-300, long-haul operation. I think they found the best place to get experienced crew.

midoy10
31st Mar 2008, 16:35
shame for those two flight attendants :mad:

also we have to punish them and the guy who publish the video in :\:=

www.youtube.com (http://www.youtube.com)

because they destroy the class and the image of :E

:yuk:Emirates Airlines :}

gadgetman
1st Apr 2008, 01:36
Oh the irony...

leemarlon
1st Apr 2008, 02:58
Hi cabin crew,
I am about to join the training, but would like to know if someone doesn't know swim well...will be an issue during the training? Lifejacket is used in all emergency evacuation sessions?

thanks and regards.

Marlon

gadgetman
1st Apr 2008, 03:15
You'll live.
L/jackets used, plus no distance swimming is tested. You might want to ensure you can keep yourself afloat without buoyancy aids however, just in case they give you a dud l/jacket.

whatzmyname
1st Apr 2008, 18:43
:confused:Sonic83 I have no idea what your talking about. This is an airline discussion thread. Not religious one. Stick to the topic.

whatzmyname
1st Apr 2008, 18:46
:)Went to the new emirates group headquarters today. It looks so nice inside. There are restaurants and shops and the lower floor. The crew briefing area is on a higher floor and you have views of the runways! Much better than what we currently have. Very fancy. Apparently everyone will be moving in June.

baob2oba
1st Apr 2008, 21:24
ok ok, wonderful, brilliant, marvelous, astonishing !

By the way, have you read the new crew rest policy ?
I ADORE the sub-section regarding soft seats!

Back to bed...

thesource
2nd Apr 2008, 06:46
Dear All fellow EK employees!

I have just arrived in DXB to start FA training, and I was wondering if I could please get some advice which is the best bank to have a Bank account with in DXB??? for fees, accessing overseas, transferring funds to eg. Australia??

Thank you in advance for any information and assistance.

gadgetman
2nd Apr 2008, 07:28
Do NOT use Mashraq, they are utterly, utterly useless. They are also incredibly vindictive when you give up on them and try and change banks. They will make EVERY single step of the tortuous process a major hurdle. (Refusing to accept signatures, increasing credit card limits without notice, etc...)
HSBC are just as bad.
The rest of the banks are marginally better, but will still be a cause of constant frustration.
Lloyds TSB are better at their jobs, but will charge more for being able to do the basics.
NBAD is another one that can pull their finger out when needed, but it depends on who is actually trying to help you out.

Sending money back to NZ/AUS will kill you on the exchange rate right now, a new G2 salary won't be worth much more than a MacDonalds Happy meal back in downunder.

fg-fun
4th Apr 2008, 00:45
these days as long as u have a pulse,ur in,dont worry about swimming or anything else for that matter,my other half is cabin crew and times are changing,standards have dropped an awful lot,work work work .

whatzmyname
4th Apr 2008, 09:07
fg-fun,I totally agree.
Had a flight where two of the new G2's couldnt even reach the hatrack to close it! They were way too short.:ugh:But yes,they had a beating pulse,so they were recruited.I also know of quite a lot of crew who cannot even swim at all. Dont know what is going on with the recruitment department....apparently there is no set standard anymore.They just want to reach the number quota it seems.

dolce_
4th Apr 2008, 09:59
Hey everyone,
I'm new to this, and this is my first post.
I currently am working for Dnata, and have been invited to go to the Recruitment day for Emirates Cabin Crew.
Many people have told me that they are very particular with the photo sizes that you need to give them.
They also said that I can find out what sizes my photos need to be from there website.
But, i have studied that website in and out and can not find any details on how big or small they need to be.

Its a stupid question I know, but I would really appreciate some help!

Thanks a million.

:O

cirrus17
4th Apr 2008, 11:08
guys... is there a rule regarding how many flatmates can have relatives staying with them? both my flatmate and I want to have a relative to stay for the same days and we've heard a rumour that's not allowed... any info? x

shinners
4th Apr 2008, 11:21
anyone tomorrow at EK open days in Milan???

saabfactory
4th Apr 2008, 14:31
^dolce

here in the philippines, what they require us to bring are:

passport-sized photograph in sky blue background
full-body 4R-sized photograph in sky blue background taken by a professional photographer

hope this helps.

Disclaimer: I'm not sure if this is universal for all countries. Maybe others can also clarify.

ek_nina
7th Apr 2008, 13:24
rest assure you'll pass.. i don't swim either... but i survived =) good luck

JustinG
9th Apr 2008, 16:56
Looks like Emirates made San Francisco their 2nd U.S. city on the west coast.

http://www.ameinfo.com/152882.html

I also read on another forum that these cities were supposedly on the crew bidding system as of last month.

ORD
BOS
FLL
SEA
BCN
LAX Commencing
SFO Commencing
EWR

Any other current EK crew have a say in this?

leemarlon
10th Apr 2008, 01:52
:p
Does anyone know about any new destination in South America?

Att.
New joiner

whatzmyname
10th Apr 2008, 03:16
They are concentrating on North America currently but heard that next South American destination will probably be Rio de Janeiro. Dont know when this will happen though. Hope in time for MARDIS GRAS!:O

Sonic83
12th Apr 2008, 11:27
WOWO E mirates will also start services to the 2nd gateway in the US westcoast San Francisco! Thats cool!! Guys

I am actually cabin crew with Lufthansa German Airlines for contiental and intercontinantel destinations! What I would like to know is the promotion of Emirates and how much you earn if you have the maximum flying hours! What are the future opportunities within EK and how are the working conditions! We have 3-4 days layovers with Lufthansa, even though we fly to those destinations several times a days and every day! What is it like at Emirates if you are doing ultra long haul flight like DXB-HOU?

I am asking cause I am thinking of applying to Emirates but only if they have good conditions! And as I am now cabin crew my chances would be bigger:-)

PLZ tell me if you know!

Cheers

Next destinations:

AMM
CMN
AUH
MAD
BUE
MNL
SAO

lescano
12th Apr 2008, 13:19
Anyone has info if Ek will fly to Spain?

GALLEY_SCALLY
12th Apr 2008, 17:18
Hi... As a new entrant what aircraft are crew trained on?
How many Cabin Crew per A/C... inc A380...

whatzmyname
12th Apr 2008, 18:02
Hi fellow Ek crew,
wanted to ask,what is the procedure for resignation? Do I call my CCM and say I want to resign or do I make an appointment first or just email?
Do the bank close your bank account when you ask for a credit clearance? Please let me know. I am planning on resigning in August and want to be prepared. Thanks in advance!

carevna.katerina
12th Apr 2008, 18:33
Hi everyone,

I'm a Gulf Air crew, joining EK next month. I'm joining mainly because I'd like to fly to more destinations than now, I'm also quite bored here in Bahrain. So I was just wondering how different it is, working for Emirates? The crew, accomodation, work environment in general?

Many thanks for reply.

Katerina

baob2oba
12th Apr 2008, 21:31
Fill the online resigning form ( CC Portal, "... thank you for your time with us, we made billions on your a$s, etc etc ), go and have a talk with your CCM ( who is he/she by the way ? ), have to return them your CCEM, papers, uniform i guess, plan in advance for the bank, clearance for cards can take up to 45 days, don't forget etisalat if you're an al Shamil user, etc, once you get the 3 days VC on your roster, you're out of it, fly far away or stay in the vicinity, and get a real career bro, but don't leave pprune ha?

See ya,

Bao

magicmorris
13th Apr 2008, 04:14
hey Katerina,

from what I have heard from ex gulf air crew, emirates is a little more strict, but less organised, but everything else very much the same!

tom

carevna.katerina
13th Apr 2008, 09:09
Tom,

thanks for reply. There are people telling me I'll hate it and people telling me it's much better than GA. I guess I'll have to go, try it and make my own opinion. At least they fly to some nice places....

Katerina

whatzmyname
13th Apr 2008, 11:04
Haha:ok:. Thanks for the resignation advice Baob2oba. Will have a look on the portal! Dont worry...I will go get a real job. Tired of beef and chicken,tea or coffee:hmm:

UpInTheAir747
13th Apr 2008, 17:39
Hi I'm joining emirates on May, I would like to ask you about ek layovers, in particular in Rome FCO I hope that you'll can help me!

Thank you all, see you soon on board!

stellarnina
13th Apr 2008, 21:42
i didn't see those airport codes when i bid for next month's roster.

la will be in september, sanfo will be in dec of this year =) i'd hate to have 24hour layovers for those flights! we'll be dead by the time we get there, and they're givin' us 24 hours?!

G...
14th Apr 2008, 01:49
Hey stellarnina,

there are different codes for the same place according to different naming systems. The ones used in the EK bidding system are the IATA airport codes.

Emirates is already flying to AMM, Amman, CMN is Casablanca in Morocco, MNL is Manila in Philipines.

There is no BUE that i know of, Buenos Aires is EZE and SAO, Sao Pablo is GRU that stands for Guarulhos Int'l. We do not fly to Argentina yet but we do fly to Brazil.

AUH and MAD I do not know, but I am sure I have not seen them on the bidding for sure.

I've recently flown to IAH, Houston TX. 15'30 going and 14 coming back. Only 24hs layover. You do get sleep in the CRC.

I am just glad I had my name badge to remember who I was.

baob2oba
14th Apr 2008, 14:55
AUH = Abu Dhabi

Old flight, long story.

777w
16th Apr 2008, 11:41
lax ...1st september
sfo.... 26th october
AMSTERDAM...end of the year ..i've beeen told:ok:

ML-STAR
16th Apr 2008, 12:44
Hey everyone...

I've been through the thread and i saw a lot of information about the company...

I just have Two questions about the company :

I saw a lot of CC complaining about the working condition with emirates...Is it really that bad?I mean, i know that a flight can be tiring but you visite the world , sleep in very nice hotel...the CC look young so the atmosphere must be cool?no?

And my second question is, what is the average salary of someone who come from europe?because i have seen that when you come from europe, you have a compensation because of euro or pounds...

Thank you

Mari
17th Apr 2008, 14:15
Dear ML,

everything is relative. Let me answer to your question!

Let's say you're a German girl/boy:
You are currently working for Lufthansa - one of the biggest airline in the world -, based in Munchen and you do only North-American flights as you're a long-haul flight attendant. You are at home, all your old friends and family is there, live in a nice European city in your home country, the economy is doing OK, inflation around 3%, unemployment rate is 5%. You pay taxes, fees, pension, you have Union there. Therefore: You never fly more than 70 hours a month. You have min. 3 days off before a Los Angeles-flight, 48-hour-lay-over, min. 3 days off after the flight. You have a nice rest during the flight in the CRC, most of your passengers are well-behaved Europeans. The company is big, you have a lot other job opportunities, part-time positions and maternity leave. You have Euro in your country which is - right now - one of the strongest currency.

In this case:
you will be disappointed to live in the desert, surprised about the passenger profile, angry about how the company treats you sometimes and get a heart attack every time when you see how much the dollar dropped compare to the euro.

Let's say you are a desprate, high-educated Hungarian girl:
from a poor family - like me - who workes for Wizzair, a low-cost company, based in Budapest, one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. (Malév, the national airline of Hungary just dismissed 10% of the crew, it's not likely to work for them.) The economy is not doing well, inflation is 9% (like last year in Dubai), unemployment rate around 8%, political crisis and strikes from time to time. You fly 80-90 hours a month, all short-hauls (of course) which means 2-4-6 legs a day. You don't see the world, there is not even a chance for that. (You can ONLY make it for Malév if you know someone. And after 1-2 years you might get your first New York-flight. If you're lucky. The "old ones" get the good flights - who work for the company for 15-20 years.) You get around 100-120,000 forint (4-500 euro) monthly payment. (No accomodation, no transport, no food on the flights.)

In this case:
you will be disappointed to live in the desert but sooo happy to lay on the beach and swim in the sea (oh, my God! waves! and sand! and palms!); you will be surprised about the pax profile but delighted to meet so many young people from different countries (oh, my God! lebaneese guys really are charming! Australian men really are big!); angry about how the company treats you - especially after talking to complaining crew - but who cares: I see the world and stay in nice hotels; and you will - indeed - get a heart attack when you look at the dollar BUT you won't get your usual panic attack in March when the gas bill would come after the winter time.

How is the athmosphere?
I just did my recurrent SEP exams - 2 days. (I joined 2 years ago.) My group was so cool! Very funny, nice, young people, I really had a good time! Trainers are excellent - as usual, I never had a bad experience. Crew on the flights are generally young (21-40) and happy. Young people don't care about working too much, they call sick and party, don't care about dollar, they just spend.

(My lovely First Aid Trainer intoduced herself as a professional nurse, who has a degree in Psychology, Sociology and she's a doctor of Philosophy. The purser next to me said: "Man, get another job!" The girl was blond, had a familiar accent. I told the guy next to me: "I think she's from Slovakia or Chech. I don't think it's easy to find a job (you must know someone) and get the experience to become a well-paid psychologist in Eastern-Europe. I'm not even sure if it's possible. Especially for a woman." She was from Poland.)

Is there going to be a big pay-rise this year?
I don't think so. I just read the Flight International Magazine extra edition about the companies in the Middle-East. It says: we offer the best package in the world and upgrade for pilots is quick and easy.

Working conditions?
If there is no major incidents in order to fatique, there won't be any changes. There is no union, there will be no union.

Dear ML, I hope I could answer to your question. Summa summarum: everything is relative. I got 5 days off before my leave, hopefully I will also get 5 days off afterwards (like last time in October). This is my time to rest and recover.

I used to work in an office before (boring, long hours, asshole boss). I also used to do waitressing in big hotels and bars (nights, weekends, 12-16-hour-long-shifts). Is my current job tiring? Yes. Are the working conditions better for me than before? OOOh, much better! Is the athmosphere better? OOOh, much better! Do I make better money?! OOOh, yes, I do!

If you wanna travel and have fun, come and enjoy for one year! If you are fatique, call sick. My Australian friend had at least 30 sick days last year, so what?! Enjoy and go home!

My flatmate is saying right now: "stay away from this company. It's the worst in the word: they are greedy and break the labour-law, make you fly to death! Stay away from aviation at all! You should become a lawyer or doctor. You cannot make any money here!"

You should consider her opinion, she should know: she's been flying for 7 years and wants to resign since I moved in 2 years ago.

Exchange rate protection would be around 300 dhs for you. You would make 7-8000 dhs a month in the first year, plus meal allowances (1-2000 dhs/month, depends on your flights). If you make it to business class (after 12-24 months flying) you will make 9-10,000 dhs/month. You become FG1 (first class) in 2 and a half-3 years and currently they make between 10-11,000 dhs. Here, of course, I'm talking about poeple who actually WORK and fly 80-100 hours a month.

One thing is for sure: there are not many crew here from France and only a few French pilots.

Good luck! Whatever you decide.

Mari

Sonic83
17th Apr 2008, 15:36
WOW Mari,

this was a vrey good and excellent post that gave us a realy good impresiion on how it is to work for Emirates! I really liked your different points of view! This KInd with the Germans at Lufthansa and the poor Hungarian girl:-)

Well I am living in Frankfurt and my base is also FRA! I am flying for Lufthansa as a long haul cabin crew and I really have to say that I am happy that I did not make it at Emirates and I will not got again for them cause I dont want to have a heart attack when I leave Lufthansa as a great employer for Emirates! As You said before there are lots of good thngs here that makes your life very easy and you have a lot of time to recover during layovers etc.

But your post was really g8!!!!!!! Thank you for showing us how it is really like! During Open days they only tell you "You even have pools in your accomodation and you will make a lot of money" hahahahaha

ML-STAR
17th Apr 2008, 20:27
Hey Mari

I really want to say u a big THANK YOU !!!! your post is perfect , better than i could expect...I'm going to join the company the 25th of April and i'm a bit anxious because it sound strange to leave France for Dubai...Anyway I went there two years ago and i loved it but i know that live there is going to be totally different !!!However, i'm young and this experience can be only a good thing for me...

YOWzer
18th Apr 2008, 02:07
hello,

I just have a question for current Emirates crew. I'm just wondering what the flight benefits are like for crew and their family members. They explained it a little at the assessment day but I don't think I totally understand. If someone can clarify what kind of travel benefits Emirates provides I would appreiciate it.

thanks!

holagirl
18th Apr 2008, 02:49
Any married crews here? I will be joining emirates soon.
But on the contract I got, it says it is a single only contract and I should contact HR office if my marital status changes.
I emailed them a few times that I am already married but no answer.
Is there a separate contract for married crews? and do they give a visa for a spouse automatically?
I don't know if I should call them and ask since they don't answer my email...

whatzmyname
18th Apr 2008, 05:14
EK always just offers single contract to cabin crew.

You can apply for a visa for your husband after completing 6 months in the company and only if you have the title of Manager or Doctor and if you have an attested University degree. Male crew just need a salary higher than Dhs4000. Yes,I know it's unfair....

If you should be succesful in obtaining a visa for your husband,you must move out of company accommodation. They will give you a small allowance with which you would have to pay your own rent and all other facilities. As a new joiner you will defnitely not have even enough money for water and electricity,so I would advise against that.Dubai is super-expensive.

It is best for your husband just to try and find a job in Dubai by himself and find an employer who can sponsor him.

Pax Agent
24th Apr 2008, 10:19
Hi there guys I'm Crew for BA based at LGW at the moment so not just another wannabee...just wondering...

When you first moved out how did you transfer your UK bank balances to your new bank account in DXB?? Is there a company to send money with that doesn't cost you stupid losses in exchange rates?
Also If I wanted to save my wages (i'm assuming this is easily achieveable) and eventually transfer a large amount of money back to the UK once again how is this done? Or should I say send money everymonth to my parents to 'look after'?

Lastly on the subject of UK tax...where do you stand with not paying N.I contributions upon your return. If I were to have an accident in the UK what would happen?

Lastly....pensions...Do EK provide any pension provision...does anyone here pay into a private pension within the UK? I have my BA pension which I can withdraw from...

Many thanx guys...

whatzmyname
25th Apr 2008, 06:49
There are lots of money transfering places in Dubai. You will always lose money (unfortunately) when it comes to pounds vs. dirham conversion.It is best to keep your money in the UK. Just open an account in Dubai for your salary.No need to bring extra money.
Tax-cant help you there,have no idea.
There are no pension plans and no unions here.You do get medical coverage.

nuigini
25th Apr 2008, 15:52
Or, you go to EK because you cannot get a flying job somewhere else.

ME_Expert
26th Apr 2008, 23:55
Hi guys, I am new on Pprune but moderately old in EK.
Here are my thoughts on what it is like to live in UAE.

Wannabees - take a carefull study on what you gonna change your life for. Thanks to Mari - she really did a great job taking her time to show good example of how your life can change depending on your own circumstances.

Here are some facts for you guys out there aboutn life in Dubai and life while you are in EK.

1. Prices

Prices in Dubai are very high for everything. Shopping is good here but it is all made in China if you check the label, so considering we have 5 layovers in China a day will you go to a shopping mall to buy a blouze to spend 10 times more for it than in PVG? If shopping is one of the reasons to come to live in DXB - consider revising it.

Accommodation - 1 br in International City - middle class - 45-50 000 a year + water electricity add another 15 000.
1 br in Dubai Marina high class- 95 000 + 20 000
1 br in Sharjah - neighbour emirate - 35-40 000 + 15 000 + 2 hours in traffic every day you have a flight.

Taxi - no taxi driver speaks good english. All smell bad. Everybody is trying to cheat you. Average trip on an average distance - 30-40 AED. If you are drunk in the taxi some drivrs threaten to call police and report you if you dont give them tip. Taxies are difficult to catch. Consider buying you own car sooner or later.

2. What crew do in their free time -

a) sleep, and unfortunatelly most dont know how to manage their sleep;
b) Go to gym, swimming pool and other recreational facilities;
c) have relationships with various nationalities untill they have ticked all countries or at least continents;
d) Read and watch movies, chat on the internet and write e-mails to friends
e) going clubbing and getting drunk

if you do only those above you will find the life boring and not worth of living, your thoughts of going to your family and resignation will reach you in Grade 1 or so. It 's a pity when people leave Ek without haveing tested real taste of life!

Here is other stuff crew do:

f) Open their own business - illegally ( hard to explain why illegally - there are certain provisitons of EK contract and UAE Labor Law and Residence law) but anyway I did it and this is why my future after leaving EK was secure.

g)working part time as personal fittness trainers, private teachers, guides, safari drivers, models - illegally( for the same reason illegally)

h) studying online or distance learning
i) running family life with kids etc
j) Going home for their days off with staff travel tickets if there is a seat.
having these activities will decrease your amount of free time but witll either lower or improve your cash in your pocket, but quality of your life will be different, you will fell the taste and will secure your future.

k) Buying and selling property

3. What is the law like in UAE?

I is very simple to understand. When it comes to police and court, locals are always right. If you have UK passport they will listen to you but locals will be right anyway. If you have local friend and UK passport you might win. If you are from the other country than UK, US, OZ, NZ, some Western EU - you are always wrong.

By law you are not allowed to drink without the license ( everybody does)
have sex without being married to that person ( everybody does) and share accommodation with that person ( some do). When police catches you - see information above why and below what will happen:

Drinking and driving - 3 months in jail, 20 000 AED fine and deportation.

Pre-maritual sex - 1 month in jail + deportation

Showing middle finger from the window of your car - 5000 AED fine, 1 month in jail and deportation;

Testing positive for being pregnant - results in being escorted from the doctors office who declares your pregnancy directly to police station, where you will stay untill you produce your marriage certificate. If none available you will stay in jail till birth , after which child will go to orphanage and you will be deported; or you will be deported on your last week of pregnancy. Your partner will serve 1 year in jail followed by deportation.

Testing positive for using drugs - 4 years in jail even if it is Codeine, widely available in most countried in the world and even if consummed outside the UAE. Also deportation. No list of permitted and restricted for use medications is available to crew. It is kept a secret to make you affraid.

4. What are the best benefits you get being EK cabin crew.

a) A lot of places to see in short time.
b) Tax free quite competitive salary on the local labour market.
c) Good quality accommodation
d) Peope you meet are the biggest asset. Make real friends and open business toghether, trade or anyhitng in the future. Dont waste the people around you. Dont sleep all the time. Go out on layovers to learn new opportunities.
e) Passengers in J and F class can offer you a good job simply as they like your service. Collect business cards. Dont give your number - they can e-mail to the company and complain of you harrassing them to get a free ticket; but you will be fired.
f) bank offer loans easily - take max loan and convert it in Euro and put under interest in EU or open business, by property or anything. Dont waste your money on clubbing.

5. What are the worst things about being in EK as CC ?

a) company does not know your name. Everybody knows you by staff number. Even your manager.
b) Exchange rate protection policy is a joke for kindergarden starters but not for ones with family and kids. Max is 300 AED.
c) Passengers in Y class think that there is 1 crew for 1 pax and that they are in the restaurant - this happends often. In fact there are 8 crew for 400 pax in Y class B777-300 ER. Average ratio in Y is 1 for 46-50pax and 1 for 13 in J. Most passengers in Y - cheap laborforce from South-East Asia going for work in GCC and EU.
d) no proper rest onboard except if there is a CRC on that A/C.
e) very few things company can do for you if you are in jail, actuially nothing.
f) medical services are below 0. Dont get sick. Take care of your health on your own.

Good luck to all who are and who wannabee EK CC, make sure you did the right choice and get the most of it.

Leito
27th Apr 2008, 20:45
I believe that this could be missleading and you need to change the title to perhaps... "life in the U.A.E." because most of the things that you mention have nothing to do with EK or any airline. This are rules that everyone living here must follow regarding your job or position.

[ Prices in Dubai are very high for everything. Shopping is good here but it is all made in China if you check the label, so considering we have 5 layovers in China a day will you go to a shopping mall to buy a blouze to spend 10 times more for it than in PVG? So drop this point if you dream about good shopping in DXB. ]

And this is EK problems because?????

[ Accommodation - 1 br in International City - middle class - 45-50 000 a year + water electricity add another 15 000.
1 br in Dubai marina - 95 000 + 20 000
1 br in Sharjah - neighbour emirate - 35-40 000 + 15 000 + 2 hours in traffic every day you have a flight. ]

Thats why you are given a fully furnished apartment, if you don't like it it's too bad because the allowances are not that high, many people that moved out wish they hadn't.

[ Taxi - no taxi driver speaks good english. All smell bad. Everybody is trying to cheat you. Average trip on an average distance - 30-40 AED. If you are drunk in the taxi some drivrs threaten to call police and report you if you dont give them tip. Difficult to catch. ]

So EK is also guilty that about the taxi drivers now.

[ 2. What crew do in their free time -

a) sleep, and unfortunatelly most dont know how to manage their sleep;
b) Go to gym, swimming pool and other recreational facilities;
c) have relationships with various nationalities untill they have ticked all countries or at least continents;
d) Read and watch movies, chat on the internet and write e-mails to friends
e) going clubbing and getting drunk

if you do only those above you will find the life boring and not worth of living, your thoughts of going to your family and resignation will reach you in Grade 1 or so.

Here is other stuff crew do:

f) Open their own business - illegally ( hard to explain why illegally - there are certain provisitons of EK contract and Dubai Labor Law and Residence law)

g)working part time as personal fittness trainers, private teachers, guides, safari drivers, models - illegally( for the same reason illegally)

h) studying online or distance learning
i) running family life with kids etc
j) Going home for their days off with staff travel tickets if there is a seat.
having these activities will decrease your amount of free time but witll either lower or improve your cash in your pocket.

k) Buying and selling property ]

And EK dictactes what you are meant to do with your spare time right?.

I guess that I could go on and on but whats the point?, it's all EK's fault that's why people should consider all your very valid points before JOINING EK.

As I said, please change the title and thanks for your "expert" :} advise, I'm sure that you have made your point now, let the rest decide and discover by themself.

PS: you made me lough about the first boyfriend though !!, sooner or later most gets "lebanized" :E :E (I know tht I'm going to get fried because of this), SORRY !!!! :uhoh:

ME_Expert
27th Apr 2008, 21:00
The reason for posting my post above is informing new joiners and preparing them, not scaring in any way. There are clearly written advantages and disadvantages from the old man's ( oh yeah) point of view. If you are armed, you are prepared.

I am sure most find my post useful.
Good luck to everyone who wants to join EK.

Leito
28th Apr 2008, 07:39
I see that you've got my point as you changed the title now, still, I haven't seen you mentioning Etihad, RAK Airways, Air Arabia or any other airline that I could be missing out, as I said before EK or any company have no control about this laws, by the way, you forgot to mention about the internet being controlled and many pages blocked e.g. SKYPE :ugh:.

ek_nina
28th Apr 2008, 21:39
I am with the company now for 2 years. I joined as married but i am holding a single contract. my marital status is married and you can declare your husband after a year with the company as well as use the benefits, and if you have kids, you can declare them after one contract and one year which is 4 years in total before they can avail the ticket benefits... and your parents and parents-in-law will avail 2 tickets each (id90 and id50) every year and your husband unlimited.

hope this help..

Mari
29th Apr 2008, 11:10
Really?!

I had know idea.

Can I have a question? What about the residence visa for the husband? Does the company provide a visa for him or he has to have a job in Dubai or visit his wife on turist visa?

Thanks.

holagirl
30th Apr 2008, 18:23
i have one more question.
does the company allow a husband and a wife both working for emirates?
i know some companies don't allow family members working in the same company. i was wondering if it is possible with emirates.
and if they do, would they provide an accomodation for both husband and wife together? or seperate?
i mean would they give a place to live for them together?
does anyone know anybody in this case?

lvaxf
30th Apr 2008, 21:53
14 weeks!!!! :D:D:D

more than i expeced, that's for sure!

Ali_Xander
30th Apr 2008, 22:03
14 weeks! that really is great, though I will get none of that having only joined in January. Still galleygossip has it that the salary is going up too....any ideas?

sil1233
1st May 2008, 10:28
Yeah 14 weeks is a great news!!! now thinking what to do with it :E.. earlier when i joined it was less than 3 weeks.

I think the raise would be around 200-300 dirhams.

UpInTheAir747
1st May 2008, 13:37
I'm joining Emirates tomorrow, I read about this profit share, could you explain me what does it means? I have no idea, sorry!

helfsich
1st May 2008, 16:20
Holagirl -

Yes, there are crew within the company married to other crew, however you must move out of company accomodation once you inform the airline you're married. I don't know what the case is with crew married to other non-crew employees, but under UAE law you can't live with a person of the opposite sex unless you're related or married, and certainly not in EK cabin crew accomodation.

Of course once a married couple move out they're both entitled to the untilities allowance which is supposed to compensate for rent/water/power bills etc. which crew living in company accomodation don't get. Whether this amount is enough to cover costs is another debate all together...

missHolly
5th May 2008, 14:38
Hey guys!
does anyone know the legalities for days off, I had a t/a flight late tonight which i called sick for as i did my back in on my flight yesterday, and the day off i had after is know been put as standby 5?? this means im working 9 days in a row? i know they count sick days as days off in reserve but i didn't know they could do this with your normal roster's?? its so nice of them isn't it to mark me sick tonight to only take my day off and give me a duty when i have a lhr 001 the next morning!! oh my back is going to get sooo much better now isn't it!! why the hell would i have called sick for my flight only to be given a duty on my day off after anyways??? so basically i just swapped my days off but still get another sick day marked against me!!:ugh::ugh::ugh:
I never bloody call sick (i only had 3 in the first year!) and have so far remained positive working here, then **** like this does my head in!!!!
im keeping my mouth shut till that bonus is in my bank account!! ha ha, but can anyone tell me what the end of contract (3) years bonus is as was wondering if its worth sticking around for??
thanks guys!! :):)

Mari
5th May 2008, 21:40
Beleive me, most of the companies don't tolerate sick days! Just ask Etihad or Ryanair or any other crew.

I think it's legal what they did. The same thing happened to me, too.

If you want more (and reliable) information, read though the flight time limitations in the SEP Manual OR do the on-line course in the learning zone (availabel for all crew: you can do it at home or in the library at the college).

Call sick if you are sick. What can you do?! If one day is not enough, call sick longer. Even better: go for the flight and try to get a note about industrial injury, so your sick days won't affect your career (upgrade).

I hope your injury is not serious.

BYMONEK
6th May 2008, 06:08
Perhaps you should all go to your managers and ask them why the UAE law is for 45 days leave a year yet you only get 30. When they tell you that 15 days are also allowed for sickness ( what utter bulls**t), tell them you're taking some off your entitled sick days and want your days off back! :hmm:

Or you could tell one of your colleagues that next time they decide to 'chuck another sickie' cos they want a night out, their irresponsibe attitude results in punitive measures for all.

I can see it both ways. Good luck which one you choose!

condor981
12th May 2008, 01:50
hi! since this thread is for active EK crew members already, and I am joining next June, wanted to ask something, kind of a silly question...anyways here it goes:hmm::

I ve been watching some youtube videos about the service in first and business class, and noted that the crew was wearing a black watch, they looked the same to me , and I was wondering if the company provides a watch that matches the uniform or something like that, just to standardize on this kind of accesories. I know that concerning use of rings, its limited to mariage or compromise rings, and discreet ones, from what I understood.

So, if someone could maybe clarify if there exists a watch provided by the company or if male CC, in my case, can wear any timepiece of our personal preference.

thanks in advance! :ok:

Leito
12th May 2008, 02:34
First of all congrats and welcome to EMIRATES :D

According to out grooming manual this is what you need to get, (it's not provided by the company).

Wristwatch of a conventional design in either gold or stainless steel/gold finish.
Leather straps must be black or brown.
Oversized, colourful trendy designs are not acceptable.
A watch must be worn at all times on duty.Regarding the rings:

One yellow gold ring of plain design or one wedding ring.
Must not be worn on index finger or thumb.Hope that it helps !!!

csjets
12th May 2008, 08:07
I am new to PPRuNe, and was told this was the best place to get info in regards to questions I have been asking lately. I am an Airbus pilot at a major airline, but because of a merger and another in the wings, and my relative low senority number, I am looking into leaving my current company.

I know that all flight crew is based in Dubai. I want to know how difficult it would be for me to travel to Thailand(BKK) on my days off? Why is it that the company does not condone traveling on your days off? Do they call you to fly on your days off? I saw that you must notify Manager of Flight Opps that you will be traveling on your days off and the address and phone number where you will be? WHY? Do they tell you that you can not leave sometime?

What are the travel benefits like?
1) Can you jumpseat on other carriers, or your own airline?
2) Do you get ZED fares or ID 90's to fly on other carriers?
3) How difficult is it to travel on Emirates utilizing your benefites?
4) Do you have to have an available seat in the back, or can you use the cockpit or crew room jumpseat to travel?
5) How long do you have to fly for the company before you get unlimited travel benefits to travel on your off days?

As for the schedule; I saw that you get a minimum 8 days off a month.
1) What is a normal schedule like?
2) How many days off do you average a month?
3) Can you drop or trade trips after youare awarded a schedule and how difficult is it to do this if you can?
4) What is the greatest amount of days you can have off in a row?
5) Is it true that the 42 days they say you get off a year includes the 15 days of sick time?

In general, tell me how much life is better or worse for living in UAE as opposed to living in your home country.

Thank you for your time and answers to my questions.

harry the cod
12th May 2008, 12:40
That's a lot of questions my friend!

From the tone of your post, your priority appears to be based around getting 'home' as often as possible by the cheapest means. No harm in that but you're putting the cart before the horse. Why don't you do some research on the Airline first and actually apply. You say you're very junior so do you have the minimum 4000hrs? IF you're successful at reaching interview, you'll have an opportunity to ask all those questions direct and will also have had an opportunity to see Dubai in all its glory......

Regarding the 15 days sick in 42, no way. They might get away with that crap for the Cabin Crew but the Pilots wouldn't accept it. You get 42 days leave 'entitlement' and sickness is a different matter altogether. The problem that the Cabin Crew face is that sickness is abused and as a result, the Company impose these draconian measures which effect the majority.

I will warn you ,however, that while some do commute here, it's not made easy by restrictions on days off although it is possible to get a string of 6-8 in top bid months if you are Flight crew. Also, no jumpseat travel is allowed, either on the flight deck or in the cabin. If there's no pax seat, you aint going!
To cap it off, load factors are notoriously high, especially on far East routes, BKK being exceptionally busy. Your low seniority here would put you behind hundreds of Cabin Crew if Business was full.

Good luck.

Harry

P.s May I suggest posting in future on Middle East forum. Although this is 'crew' discussions, it is in the Cabin crew forum.

lvaxf
12th May 2008, 17:22
Does anybody have good information, not gossip, as to when flights to BEY and KRT will go back to their normal schedule?

Letsfly
18th May 2008, 15:45
You will be aware that the Houston flight is the longest flight that we currently operate. Prior to commencing this route, significant analysis was done around the trip pattern and as a result the layover was set at 24 hours.

We have now been flying this route for six months and through Voyage Reports, Safety Reports and the Employee Opinion Survey you have told us a clear and simple message – that you actually find this trip more tiring than anticipated. I am very pleased to confirm that that we have listened to your feedback and that with effect from 1 June 2008, the Houston pairing will become a 48-hour layover.

As we were reviewing Houston, we also took the opportunity to review similar issues across the network. During this, we identified a concern regarding the quality of rest on Mauritius trips. As a result, with effect from 1 July 2008, when the B777 aircraft will operate all flights on this route, the layover will be increased to 36 hours.

elleni
18th May 2008, 19:29
hi to everybody. sorry for disturbing the conversation but i want to ask you as you work for emirates. could you write your personal opinion about how is to work for emirates and how is the lifestyle in dubai. as some of you are europeans i would like to ask you for any information you can give me for better adaptation. thank you

bkkfly
19th May 2008, 04:47
I am shortly moving to EK. I was told crew undergo random blood and urine testing. I am assuming this is to test for illegal drugs. Does it also include testing for sports drugs? I ask this as I was given steriod injections in my knee after an injury serveral months ago. I am concerned that this could be illegal?

I have already had my pre meds but there was no blood or urine testing for anything like that.

Any insight greatly appreciated.

cherrie
19th May 2008, 10:55
just a quick question EK crew. i heard out of the last training batch 3 girls were sent home for having tattoos. can anyone please confirm this??? is it allowed to use professional camoflage makeup to cover them up. mine is on my lower neck where the blouse sits and i am worried i would be sent home after only arriving there??? :ugh: i have been flying for nearly 4 years and my current employer does not have a problem with me using camoflage makeup for our "boat neck" shirt.

anyone who could help can you please pm me

777w
19th May 2008, 11:58
Finally looking forward to flying to the U.S.!!!! 48hrs is just what the Doc. ordered.....also Mauritius 36 hrs...not bad....not bad at all!!!!! Now since i'm crew ...what do i crib about next?? hmmmmmmm lemme think....oh forget it...lets just say...a BIG thank you Kevin G.....:D

condor981
19th May 2008, 17:30
hi, quick question...when having a layover... does each crew member receive a room? Or is it shared?

thanks in advance ! :ok:

stellar
19th May 2008, 17:51
With regard to any drugs as long as you have a prescription from a doctor cleared by EK clinic and keep it with you at all times you're ok(doubt steroids would count) However Radom Drug testing is not just at DXB base it is also done downroute. Not worth the horrific conseqences.

stellar
19th May 2008, 17:58
:)Thankfully we have separate rooms. A big plus as most other Mid East airlines require shared accommodation both on layover and living accommodation. We are blessed :ugh:

stellar
19th May 2008, 18:14
Dearest 777w think your gushing appreciation to Kevin G is misplaced :yuk:........think all of the Flight Safety Reports from Captains and Voyage reports from all of your Seniors are more deserving of that gratitude. :D

Billy Madrid
19th May 2008, 19:27
Stellar is indeed correct. This has nothing to do with KG.
The decision was made by Flight operations and not Cabin services, as a result of all the Pilots reports on fatigue.
These reports can be filed by anybody and should be filed by cc as well. Please ask the pilots for an Air Safety Report (ASR) and I'm sure they'll be happy to give you some advise on filing it out. (I know I will) I've never had a crew member ask for one yet even with the ridiculous policy on cabin rest for cc.
We (The Pilots) file reports on PER, NGO etc flights that don't have the curtain. How can you be expected to do an 11 hour flight leaving at 3 am, have no sleep and be fully alert if there's an emergency on landing! So we report it. You should as well. It take's time but if there are enough (ASR) reports from both side's of the flight deck door it will change.

Sorry for gate crashing your forum.

See you on the line

Rgds

Billy M

JustinG
19th May 2008, 21:08
I'm sorry for my ignorance but I was just wondering about something. Do U.S. citizens holding U.S. passports have more chances of getting a flight to IAH, JFK, LAX, and SFO then a non U.S. citizen since they don't need visas or anything or it doesn't matter, all about seniority? Thanks guys.

leemarlon
20th May 2008, 17:57
Hi crew,
Since IAH will become a 48 hrs layover will LAX/SFO also get the same pattern of layover?

I hope so...

Leito
20th May 2008, 18:36
Thank you Billy, I've been here over 8 and a half years and I only found out last week during my S.E.P. that the crew can fill out the A.S.R., like me everyone was happy to know that, so,I guess it's a matter of most of us not knowing about it.

Forums like this one teach us lots of good stuff and once again thanks for sharing that with us. :D

777w
20th May 2008, 18:40
alright then.....kevin g ...no thank u sir....three cheers for flight deck..hip hip horray!! :ok:

777w
22nd May 2008, 16:23
Speculation time : new night halts ya'll would like to see...or existing pattern changes! :bored:

stellar
23rd May 2008, 06:39
777w reveal yourself for all as msg seemed what you on about or either sinister or r u sinecure????

stellar
23rd May 2008, 07:00
Leito,
Don't be under any impression (wasn't by me) that ASR can be filed by anyone - must be filed by Captain in exceptional circumstances - ie He/(She in the near future) will complete one in their capacity as Commander of the Aircraft for reasons they see fit for overall safety and wellbeing of crew, passengers and airworthiness of aircraft. NOT FOR ANY OTHER CREW MEMBER TO FILE REPORT AS THEY ARE WONT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

777w
23rd May 2008, 11:17
777w reveal yourself for all as msg seemed what you on about or either sinister or r u sinecure????

huh????
Didn't quite get what that statement meant!

Billy Madrid
23rd May 2008, 16:27
Dear Stella,
Sorry but you are not correct. An ASR maybe filed by any member of Crew. From Captain to GR2. It is the only report that goes (outside the company) to the GCAA and the company must legally pass it on.
It is to be used for genuine SAFTEY issues, i.e. fatigue

Cabin crew should fill these in where they believe the safety of the aircraft has been affected.
It can be filed any time and doesn't have to be filled at the end of the flight.
This is how the IAH and MRU flights have been changed.
There may be issue's the the pilots are not aware of, so if they are only being reported in VR's then the company has no need to pass them on to the governing body(GCAA) who have the power to change things.
So if it's safety related file an ASR.
Ta
Billy (Capt)

P.s If anybody questions you, then ask them to look up Flight Operations Manual (FOM) Chapter 10 page 6. It'll say
"Anymember of staff may submit an ASR
at anytime,if they believe that air safety
has been compromised or if they have
information which may enhance air
safety."

gadgetman
23rd May 2008, 17:10
It's amazing how many crew are not aware that they are able to fill out an ASR. I guess it's just another of those pervasive EK misconceptions, just like the use of the words 'aircrafts' and 'equipments'.

Mari
24th May 2008, 15:59
inflight cabin grooming??????? What do you (they) mean???

Well, I'm angry enough with the 380 as I applied as a G1, became FG1 recently BUT I have to work in business class on the 380. Oh, and I have to do the 380 training, they don't let me get out and stay with the current fleet. That's my luck.

Whatever... I'm more interested how the company wants to cut expenses due to escalating oil prices.

T. C.: "With soaring fuel prices, we will need to increase our cost-cutting targets even more. However, I cannot say yet how much. We have a team working on it."

Still, it's better to work in the Middle-East now than in Europe or in the United States. I wonder how much the expansion of Emirates will be affected.

Mari
24th May 2008, 16:20
Dear Justin,

the answer is: NO. You don't get more US-flights, just because you are US citizen.

gadgetman
25th May 2008, 05:32
Thats pretty rough Mari, being demoted to work on the a380. I hope the privilege of working with 72 j/c pax is worth it.

I feel bad for the inflight cabin groomers already. They won't have restrictions on their flight times, they'll get paid crap, and they have some of the prima donna crew giving them a hard time, guaranteed.

flapsforty
25th May 2008, 08:32
Having posts removed often upsets people, so why not stick to the oft-repeated forum rules and save yourselves the aggravation?
It's not rocket science people, really it isn't.

Posts in this forum MUST:

Be in English.
Not use text message abbreviations.
Make use of punctuation and a capital letter at the start of a sentence.
Not be used instead of private messages.
Have a point (i.e. be relevant to the thread and not social chatter)*

If you don’t stick to this, your post will be deleted.

* This means that any of the following stuff is not to be posted...
Facebook links, blogs, I'm so happy for you, woohoo I got it, wish me luck, send me a PM, msn me, will you be at the interview, follow your dreams etc. etc. All of this should be done by PM (link under a poster's name) on PPRuNe or by Text Message - in fact do it anyway that you want - BUT DON'T POST IT ON A THREAD. You need to be very clear on this - If your post does not contain concrete fact about the subject of the thread then it has no business on PPRuNe – anywhere.

latitudehopper
25th May 2008, 09:33
Apologies for what will seem like a terribly selfish post. Normally I hang out in the ATC chat section but I wanted to pick your brains. I am flying with Emirates in December on my honeymoon to Capetown via Dubai. Two questions: One, does anyone know the best way to blag an upgrade? I have never asked as I have typical British reserve but to get that for our honeymoon would be amazing. Secondly, does Dubai International have a spa? we have a 5 hour layover over night! We flew with Emirates a year ago and we still talk about the service onboard so our compliments to you all!

25th May 2008, 13:04
jdoe,

That was an inappropriate, pathetic, sexist post that does not belong on this board. Kindly post that crap elsewhere.

daaders

jdoe
26th May 2008, 05:39
If you care to read the top of the post, you will see that it was cut and paste from the Middle East forum, not my post!

Roster Change
26th May 2008, 07:20
The In Flight Cabin Groomers, will follow the same FTL's as Cabin Crew !

Leito
26th May 2008, 13:39
Could someone please explain what is " Inflight cabin groomers " ? ? ?

Who does that?, what do they do?, I never heard of it :confused:

holagirl
26th May 2008, 13:50
Very funny leito. Can't wait to see all that in Dubai.
By the way, I have a question regarding your previous post,
you posted,

According to out grooming manual this is what you need to get, (it's not provided by the company).

Wristwatch of a conventional design in either gold or stainless steel/gold finish.
Leather straps must be black or brown.
Oversized, colourful trendy designs are not acceptable.
A watch must be worn at all times on duty.What do you mean stainless steel/gold finish?
Can I wear my stainless steel watch? or it has to have gold in it?
I am joining soon, and I just wanted to make sure..

Door_One_Right
26th May 2008, 14:32
'In-flight Grooming' was my polite euphemism for 'toilet duty' which seems to be a main part of the Cabin Service Assistant position that is being advertised on the EK website:

Outline:
To organise, hygienically clean and personalise the A380 specialized features with the objective of ensuring each First Class customer who uses these unique onboard features is delighted by the experience and is influenced to travel Emirates on their next trip.
The primary area of responsibility is cleanliness and personalisation of the specialised features; however, maintenance of First, Business and Economy Class lavatories and general cabin areas is also a responsibility of this role to project a positive company image to our customers.
The Cabin Services Assistant will report to the Purser, or the Senior Steward/Stewardess, should the Purser be on crew rest or otherwise unavailable.
The Position:
Their function is to conduct Inventory control confirming products are loaded in the correct quantities to ensure onboard facilities may be correctly serviced, in-flight replenishments can be made and a wide range of products will be available for customers to select using the facilities.
To check specialised area cleanliness prior to passenger boarding and place appropriate amenity items to prepare for passenger use. Maintain clean and tidy lavatories by completing the CSA Checklist periodically to meet required standards and ensure all amenity items are available.
To ensure promptly and hygienically clean feature is available after every customer use with appropriate cleaning materials, using the CSA Checklist as a guide to meet required standards. As well as the above they will be responsible to report any defects to the In-flight Purser so they can be rectified as soon as possible, along with respecting and protecting company assets, the safety of colleagues and customers by immediately reporting any discrepancies, strange noises or smells, abnormal customer behavior, suspicious items to the nearest crew member so that this can be fully investigated.
Benefits:

We offer an attractive package of benefits including:
A three year renewable package
A tax free starting salary of AED 1,050 plus a flying pay of approximately AED 1,125
High quality shared accommodation (share 2 per bedroom)
Comprehensive medical coverage
Free Duty transport
End-of-service benefits. A bonus is also payable on completion of the first three year contract
Emirates will provide you annually with a confirmed ticket to your home country
Generous travel concessions on Emirates and other airlinesI was originally enquiring as to how this would work on the aircraft and whether or not I should apply. How does the money compared to FAs. I'd be quite happy to do toilet duty if it means roughly the same pay, especially if you are not involved in the service.

gadgetman
26th May 2008, 15:09
Door 1R, the advertised pay of about 2000 Dhs a month should be enough to warn you off. That is about 600USD, (give or take) and in Dubai will not go far at all. Your starting G2s earn (if I'm not too mistaken, I stand to be corrected) about 3-4 times this.

Given that you have computer literacy, and excellent English skills, apply for something - anything - other than an inflight toilet attendant.

Leito
27th May 2008, 01:43
Door_one_right

W T F !!!! :sad: :sad: :sad:

That's a horrible position / job to do, no wonder they need to hire someone else to do it because the cabin crew will never EVER do it, it's a big challenge already to keep the lavs replenished, never mind the whole job description behind that position.

Thanks for explaining it and for posting the whole thing, honestly I haven't seen it or heard about it, but the money it's S * * T :yuk:, don't even think about it :=.

Holagirl

You can wear your stainless steel watch OR gold finished.
My advise is to buy a cheap supermarket watch over here, because you don't want to brake your own expensive one when on duty, you can always ask the grooming ladies if you are in doubt.
Welcome to the family !!

777w
27th May 2008, 08:44
correct if i'm wrong... basically these people will be cleaning the showers and lavs. on the 380???? :confused:

Virginia
27th May 2008, 12:35
An onboard loo cleaner...living the dream! :confused:

harry the cod
27th May 2008, 20:33
Just wondering how the 'dynamics' of it all will work on layovers?

Same allowances? Same hotels? Trained in fire fighting duties? Up for a beer or two downroute or delsi dining perhaps? Still, even if it is the latter, they should fit in fine with the majority of our crew!

Harry

777w
28th May 2008, 08:22
You know to a lot of us that is absolutely zilch amount of money (2000 dhs.) but try and understand EK is not looking for people from our social srata to apply...i know of many security guards who have a decent command over the language and this job would definately be a massive pay rise for them ..so it might be an absolute no-no for us but for some less fortunate people ...it might be a chance to atleast see the world ..even for a lower salary! :ok:

sil1233
29th May 2008, 12:12
Guys have you checked out the new uniform in the portal .. i think it looks much better than the current one :}

Ace McCloud
29th May 2008, 13:24
Yep, I like the look of the new uniform. The new male uniform is so much better than the current one.

Ace McCloud
29th May 2008, 15:56
Hey guys, just heard that Butler's will no longer launder uniforms from next month.

missHolly
30th May 2008, 19:17
Uniform seems ok, but it doesn't look like there trousers for us girls anymore!! Noooo i always wear the trousers!! :-(

Leito
31st May 2008, 05:18
Good time to start waxing baby, he he he :}

Just kidding, I'm sure that they will have trousers, don't forget that whenever they use the girls for publicity they never use the trousers as part of the uniform, so, don't worrie and be happy !!! :ok:

Letsfly
31st May 2008, 10:07
Seen the uniform at training college. Have seen the trousers. They don't look to bad. Quite fitted though. With a red belt. Not to sure about the shoes though they are a bit ugly. The shirts for the girls are nice!

Londonlads
31st May 2008, 12:02
Could you guys please put a picture here of the new uniform?

Thanks!

SOPS
31st May 2008, 12:04
Yes, that would be a good idea.

GALLEY_SCALLY
31st May 2008, 17:36
whats the new guys uniform like? But most importantly when will they be coming in to service???

xfsd
1st Jun 2008, 10:33
I have noticed EK are advertising for Manager of Cabin Crew - does anyone have an idea on conditions and who the previous manager was?

Roster Change
1st Jun 2008, 12:52
Cabin Crew Manager is the generic term for "Managers". This is an ongoing vacancy as cabin crew numbers grow. Each Manager has under him/her approx. 350-400 crew. So, currently there are 20-22 managers. They in turn report to a SVP.

xfsd
2nd Jun 2008, 03:15
Are you aware at the rate of pay the manager earns?

sil1233
2nd Jun 2008, 10:02
i heard its 30,000 Dirahms , accommodation provided by the company.

Mari
2nd Jun 2008, 20:29
Are you kidding me????

I heard much-much less...

harry the cod
3rd Jun 2008, 19:59
30,000 dhs...................that's more than an F/O is getting. And that's with 350-400 behind him, not under him!

Time to change jobs me thinks!

Harry

aliki777
5th Jun 2008, 16:31
try here
http://*****************/~redcandy/airboy/2008/06/03/emirates-rolling-out-the-new-ek-uniforms-with-the-a380/

missHolly
5th Jun 2008, 17:50
Hey
What does everyone think of the new one liner regarding tea and coffee when seat belt signs are on???

I just flew BA and it was interesting to me to see how much stricter they are then EK when it comes to safety on board!!

applefigher
6th Jun 2008, 03:29
Just curious what kind of medicals happen once you arrive to Dubai?

Sodwee
6th Jun 2008, 04:34
What's wrong with being French ? Is it because of Air France working conditions. I'm French, and happily working for EK, and I do a lot of hours too ! It's true thoough, we're only 150 compared to indians or koreans...

Londonlads
6th Jun 2008, 09:16
Can't believe they let you serve tea and coffee whilst turbulence. Dangerous!

shinners
6th Jun 2008, 20:28
when i was at the open day the girl from ek told us that if someone is very very rude to you or insult you, or call you snapping his fingers, you can't say anything to him, because "they're customers".

and if someone hits you??? can you do something or not?

applefigher
6th Jun 2008, 21:47
if someone hits you then that becomes a self defense issue and have the police arrest them once landed for assultiing a cabin crew member.

gadgetman
6th Jun 2008, 21:48
Pax can be as rude to you as you let them. Grovelling at their knees in prescribed Ek manner will only encourage them to do so. Acting like an adult will not.

If they hit you, that is grounds for restraint, and any purser/captain ought to know this and act accordingly. Any who let pax assault their crew has no business being in their position.

Crew managers get paid very similarly to Pursers, but with a better housing allowance, thats all.
They earn this money by telling crew ethey are unavble to assist them in any way shape or form, that they have their hands tied, although they would like to know why you had so many sick days (6) last year.
They are more commonly known as CSI's - Crew Sickness Investigators, as this is their only posssible function these days.

CSI Dubai -whhhhoooooo are you? whhhooo-oo whooo-ooo?

CSI Grisley is on the case, a crew member dared call sick. Check for finger prints on the phone's 2 button. Check for GSR (Going Sick Regularly), check for semen stains - good god, how did they get on the ceiling??????

It looks like Horatio Cane will have no choice but to delay your upgrade (don sunglasses)... indefinitely.

Ace McCloud
6th Jun 2008, 22:44
That was a hilarious post Gadgetman!! You should go to L.A and sign up to be a scriptwriter!!