PDA

View Full Version : Emirates - Crew Discussions II

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Mari
7th Jun 2008, 04:51
Exellent post! Sadly: true!

Some of them are nice but they usually don't provide you the information you want and don't support you. Sorry, later, sorry, maybe, sorry I cannot do anything...

Very disappointing!!!

Luckily, I have the pleasure to work with people like you who make me laugh on the flight!

Ace McCloud
13th Jun 2008, 01:06
We are definitely going to need more entertaining people like gadgetman -especially on the flights to NBO which are going to be turn-arounds once again from July (Flights that depart in the morning from Mon - Thurs).

missHolly
13th Jun 2008, 17:48
Gadgetman!
so funny and so TRUE!!
Just sent an email to Leave department, as after 2 weeks of not getting a response i decided to ask them..... Hi, is this email working as no one ever answers? shall i contact I.T for help????
Most departments seem to be unavailable!! lol
ever noticed that they are out to lunch alot and that their answering machines are always full even at 10am???? think they leave it full so u can't leave a message for them to return!!!!
oh such fun and games!! ha ha ha

EX_QR_SLAVE
14th Jun 2008, 16:27
Is it true that Athens and Moscow are becoming turnarounds too? apparently alexandria is going to stop from 9th september, and Durban has been prostponed!

Ace McCloud
15th Jun 2008, 18:43
I have been hearing the rumours regarding ATH and DME becoming turn-around trips - no official confirmation yet however. News about HBE and DUR is new to me.

cirrus17
16th Jun 2008, 17:03
lets keep safe guys xxxx

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7456547.stm

applefigher
16th Jun 2008, 19:34
i think were all at risk no matter where you live. new york , london , paris, chicago, sydney etc. just live your life

Chris21
18th Jun 2008, 00:04
Hi Guys, been reading a bit about the A380 not currently EK crew but thinking about leaving my current airline. Will the A380 have dedicated crew that will only operate this aircraft type?

Ace McCloud
18th Jun 2008, 07:53
Hi Chris. Yes, the EK A380 will have a dedicated set of crew. One must apply for the position. If selected, you will be on the A380 for two years with the option to return to the rest of the fleet after that period. A380 operations are scheduled to begin in August with flights to JFK. By December the aircraft will also be deployed on the LHR sector. Early next year will see the commencement of EK A380 opeartions to SYD and AKL.

baob2oba
19th Jun 2008, 17:35
Now they even work during weekends at ETC, I sometimes feel sorry for them.

Will the new CBC at EKHQ be ready within 11 days ? Any bet around ?

ek412syd
21st Jun 2008, 17:01
hi all~!
just wondering if there's any EK aussie crews from sydney or other australian cities thinking or already have jumped ship to one of the Australian airlines due to family is based at home? I know a EK crew who joined at the same time as me now already jumped ship to Qantas... I hope the best for her. Any EK Australian crew interested in going back home, msg me and maybe we can exchange some info about the Australian airlines thanks~!

lvaxf
24th Jun 2008, 14:44
any opinions on athens turnaround?
moscow is still a layover, make the most of it...

Ali_Xander
25th Jun 2008, 10:52
The portal says that our move to EKHQ has been postponed until the end of July...I should have seen that one coming a mile away. Then again, its better to be safe than end up a fiasco like the T5 move. I am not sure if that means that the move from CBC has been moved too. :)

777w
25th Jun 2008, 11:37
I am not sure if that means that the move from CBC has been moved too. :)

yup thats pretty much it....i dont see our move happening for a few months...give or take...oh well...i atleast now i can enjoy our smoking room for a lil longer!!!!!!! :ok:

Leito
27th Jun 2008, 13:08
As far as I know T5 is an airport terminal, don't really see how you compare it with EGHQ :confused:.

Any way, I also think that it's better to wait and no rush things, nothing worst than have the crew "lost in the system" :}

Roster Change
28th Jun 2008, 04:04
CBC at New EGHQ is linked to the opening of T3 which "may" be operational sometime this OCT !

Leito
28th Jun 2008, 08:58
That is correct, but somehow I believe that they could have launched the "new" CBC before and just drive the bus to the aircrafts instead of going to the terminal.

Starting the CBC and the Terminal 3 all together could add up more problems, maybe it would be easier if they do one step at the time, just my opinion :p.

If anyone hasn't done the tour I recomend it, the place it's massive and there will be many crew lost or "missing in action".

777w
28th Jun 2008, 09:48
word has it that LAX and SFO have been delayed.....LAX now will start on 1st OCT. and SFO 20th NOV...due to delay in 777L deliveries!!!!! And the saga continues! :ugh:

Ace McCloud
28th Jun 2008, 12:10
Yeah, been hearing that flights to LAX and SFO have been delayed by a month each. This is due to delays Boeing is facing with their galley component suppliers for the 777-200LR. Hear QR has been affected as well. The grapevine also suggests that flights to DUR have been delayed as well.

777w
28th Jun 2008, 15:54
The grapevine also suggests that flights to DUR have been delayed as well.

I thought Durban would be served on a 777w !
Or is it again a Galley supplier problem?:confused:

Ace McCloud
28th Jun 2008, 22:18
No idea what aircraft type is being planned for DUR - thought it would be the A330-200 initially then onto the 777-300ER. However, the delay about the commencement of flights to DUR is a rumour at the moment.

777w
10th Jul 2008, 16:41
Some of the the Route changes:

Bom : 5 flights Daily from Feb '09
CPT : 2 Daily flights Jan '09
Cgk: Direct flights ONLY by the end of this year
HBE : FLIGHTS Discontinued!!

Watch this space for more!!! :ok:

Londonlads
11th Jul 2008, 15:16
Ali_xander, fiasco as the T5 move? Shove it!

Ali_Xander
11th Jul 2008, 15:37
HBE flights discontinued! AWESOME! I did that on my 2nd Supy :cool:

Ace McCloud
12th Jul 2008, 13:31
Hey all, flights to GRU are now daily...

Letsfly
14th Jul 2008, 14:06
App we are moving into the new CBC on the 18th. They will start the early morning departures from there and then see how it goes! Thats the end of the week!

Ace McCloud
14th Jul 2008, 23:34
Hey All. Flights to CHC will be operated via SYD and BKK as from Feb 2009. B777-300ER will be used on the route.

chiquidejesus
20th Jul 2008, 07:58
^whoooaa... how long are we gonna be away from base then? another 9 days huh?!

777w
23rd Jul 2008, 11:28
Heathrow's Entrance Roundabout gets a New Face.....the fimiliar BAE-CONCORDE has NOW been Replaced by an EMIRATES A 380! Here are the pics...ENJOY :)

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/flight-international/EK1final.JPG
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/flight-international/EK3.JPG

whatzmyname
24th Jul 2008, 05:50
Durban flights have been cancelled due to rise in fuel prices.:(

Ace McCloud
24th Jul 2008, 06:37
Hey guys! Heard that an extra flight will be introduced on the following sectors in September: LOS and DME. Nice to see the EK A380 at the Heathrow roundabout!

Mari
24th Jul 2008, 19:02
A380

I really like the aircraft, especially the electrical doors! Oh, that's sooo easy! SEP is a piece of cake!

Oh, and thanks God: most of the gossips are NOT true!!!

sil1233
26th Jul 2008, 23:52
2 years ago the maximum loan you can get as a crew was 250,000 dirhams . Not sure if its still the same

777w
27th Jul 2008, 15:07
Seen a few lucky people's roster for the month and they have 55HRS in NYC!!!!! Is this the same flight which will be converted to a 380 operation later?

Ace McCloud
28th Jul 2008, 11:57
The A380 unveiling in Hamburg can be seen today at 1830 GMT on CNN.

Ace McCloud
28th Jul 2008, 12:09
Just read that EK has signed a letter of intent to order 30 A330-300's and 30 more A350's at the A380 delivery ceremony.

jacek6
28th Jul 2008, 14:36
http://www.pprune.org/forums/rumours-news/336869-emirates-a380.html

bkkfly
7th Aug 2008, 05:32
I fly out tomorrow for Dubai DOJ is the 8th. I was wondering since its a night flight and I arrive late is casual dress OK for the DOJ flight. I mean like neat casual, dress shirt good jeans etc. I don't believe we are met by any EK staff on arrival?

Secondly, are new crew allowed use of the EK lounge...just wondering how I can spend my few hours after being dropped off?

Many thanks

Londonlads
7th Aug 2008, 07:41
Don't think you are allowed to travel in jeans! Far too casual!

SOPS
7th Aug 2008, 08:03
fly in jeans...use the lounge???!!!??..How long are you expecting to stay employe:eek:d.... a week??

Ace McCloud
7th Aug 2008, 13:33
Hey all,
The interesting chatter on the line speculates the following changes for 2009:

ATH - double daily flights (Turnaround) (Rumour)
IST - 11 X weekly (Rumour)
CGK - Daily direct flights from Oct 2008 (Confirmed) (Hopefully this means that the horrible DXB/CMB/SIN/CGK/SIN/CMB/DXB pattern is going to be dropped).
DME/LOS - additional flights to be added (Rumour)

Juzz51
7th Aug 2008, 14:24
bkkfly,

Jeans are fine. You are right, you don't actually meet anyone you really need to impress with a good suit. Just come in comfortable attire, good jeans and dress shirt are fine.

EK lounge, no chance I'm afraid.

Erikk
11th Aug 2008, 10:33
Hi all, I must say I was really happy with choosing Emirates to fly from Dusseldorf to Christchurch (on the return with a stopover in Dubai).

Most of them were really friendly, I must admit some passengers were really anoying and I can image that's it is hard to put a smile upon your face.

The Boeing 777-300ER from AKL to DXB (which looked brand new, even the pilot was taking pictures of it) was really cool. Very nice entertainment system! Only news was not available and after the stop in SIN on the way to DXB there was no flightinfo on the screen (only the rockwell collins airshow screen). :(

What about the consumption of alcohol? Is there any restriction of how many botles wine or cans of beer you can get?

EDIT: It was a 777-300ER instead of -200LR

777w
12th Aug 2008, 14:10
Hello All,

Spoke to a Senior training captain a few days ago and he said the we want to go to LAGOS ATLEAST 2 times a day...
here are some other interesting destinations that will open up next year as per Mr. Tim Clark:

Tim Clark i.e. President of Emirates has officially revealed that if oil prices hover around the USD 105 a barrel mark, it would allow EK to restart pursuing its aggressive international expansion in 2009.

Cities that would be launched are Amsterdam, Kiev, Durban, Buenos Aires, Algiers and Barcelona.

For more on this click below:

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/52729...expansion-as-oil-price-falls?ln=en

regards ,
777w :cool:

lvaxf
13th Aug 2008, 00:12
i hope TC's words come true... interesting destinations

now how about an upgrade to the GRU ops? it's been done on 77W only a few times (probably due to lack of equipment), although it might me a bit restricted during the summer months

for AMS to materialize the agreement between UAE and Netherlands needs to change i believe, AFAIK there are 7 weekly rights for each country, KL using them for its daily pax flight and EK for the SkyCargo service

for some reason i would have thought that Algiers was gonna happen this year

and I'm sure BCN would do great, QR has been operating on the DOH-MAD route for a couple of years, with excellent results and high occupancy year-round

PanAm747LHR
1st Sep 2008, 03:58
Hey All-
I've just joined EK and have some questions about language qualifications. I'm fluent in German, Spanish, Italian, French and Dutch. (Lived abroad a lot...)
Will telling Emirates about my languages have an effect on where I fly? Is registering that with Emirates an advantage or a disadvantage? I'm really looking forward to all the destinations EK flies to, and am not sure if registering my languages will play in my favor or not. Will I get stuck mostly flying to Europe?
Thanks in advance-
Nick

chiquidejesus
7th Sep 2008, 06:44
the languages you speak wont matter on the destinations you'l be getting. unless the rostered language speaker on the flight called in sick and you happen to have a flight on the same time, then you might get pulled out.

there is only one required language speaker on the flight exept on japan flights.

Genevieve
14th Sep 2008, 06:28
Hey guys....
Does anyone know of a good hair dresser on Sheikh Zayed Rd thats cheap for Emirates crew... the last one i went to hacked all my hair off....

gadgetman
14th Sep 2008, 08:20
Shk Zayed Rd... good... cheap.

Unfortunately these terms are mutually exclusive.

777w
16th Sep 2008, 12:08
i guess it all comes down to having some good friends among the cabin crew members.i heard that the atmosphere is not too friendly ,but i hope that i'll meet nice people and i am actually quite excited about that .it's a whole new world for http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/smile.gif i hope it will be a good life experience
http://static.pprune.org/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://static.pprune.org/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.pprune.org/report.php?p=4392803)

Well buddy thats pretty much hitting the right spot....Like ANY other job in the world you have the good one's and the bad one's...although if i could give you one piece of advice..."make up your own mind about ppl and flights"dont let anybody guide ur mindset about anything and you should be fine....anyways welcome onboard...have a blast! :ok:

chiquidejesus
16th Sep 2008, 19:02
^Genevieve^ i never let anyone touch my hair in dubai. i bid flights to have my hair cut and colored, seriously. there are good salons that give discount to ek crew outside dxb that i know: Tony and Guy (Manila) and Red Salon in Singapore.

cabincat
21st Sep 2008, 08:16
A friend of mine was recently breathalised and tested positive for alcohol.
They have now gone back to their home country.
Does anyone know what will happen to their flying licence?
Do Civil Aviation Authorities in countries like the UK/AUS cross reference these things with the GCAA?

Leito
21st Sep 2008, 12:21
Sorry to hear that you have such a silly friend, honestly, everyone knows that those test are happening frequently, why on earth play with fire?, I guess that he deserved what he's got. :D

Do they cheeck in other countries?, I'm not sure, but when he goes to find an toher job he better don't mention Emirates or else his future employes could do a cross check with EK and then he won't get another job.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I hope that this teach some others a lesson.

OzzieO
21st Sep 2008, 17:06
Bit harsh Leito we are all human and all make mistakes.

He/she has paid the ultimate price.

Best wishes to your friend cabincat.

milaaka
28th Sep 2008, 11:41
mate, mine works.. u have to upload it outside the country then it'll be fine...

cirrus17
1st Oct 2008, 08:32
tula- sorry to hear about your camera :sad:

The only people who could help in this instance are the manchester groundstaff, as they are the people who would have performed the security check, lost and found checks, and cleaning checks after 019 landed. From experience, manchester groundstaff have always been exceptionally helpful... who did you speak to?
If the camera was found, it will have been left with the lost property of emirates' ground handling agent, swissport, at the airport. Try asking for the co-ordinator of swissport, or the emirates representative at check-in.... the ground staff who is dressed in the same way as the cabin crew.
Good luck!

Ali_Xander
8th Oct 2008, 22:35
Sorry to hear about the camera...I was told about it! I hope you find it! Atleast all the luggage came back in one piece on my flight to Manchester :p

cirrus17
14th Oct 2008, 07:02
why why why does all our personal mail has to now be sent to hq? well that annoys me anyway, then got in at 5am this morning to find a note saying i had a parcel- obviously wouldn't fit thru the tiny letterbox gap, which i can collect "0900-1700 thurs -sun". which bl:mad:dy crew is around then????? IF we have to collect our personal mail from hq and not our apps now, then bl:mad:dy well have parcels sent to the d/o or service centre which is open 24 hours so we can have a chance of picking it up!! ok... rant over

Genevieve
14th Oct 2008, 13:14
whats the new address we are meant to get out mail sent to... i kept getting emails saying my mail has been returned to australia cos im no longer using the right address

cirrus17
14th Oct 2008, 13:36
*name*
mailbox: cc 12345 (your mailbox no.)
Service Delivery
Emirates Airline
PO Box 36050
Dubai
United Arab Emirates

cranberrydan
24th Oct 2008, 12:52
Hi guys, i have a question about the life insurance provided by EK. If i get sick on holiday in other country,does the insurance cover? thanks.

worst-class
28th Oct 2008, 09:05
I'm thinking about moving into single accommodation but cannot decide which building is best. Where is the best single accommdation? I'm more interested in the actual apartment than the location. Any advice?

Leito
28th Oct 2008, 17:14
Hello there, does anyone know the location of the STAFF TRAVEL COUNTER on the new terminal 3?

In terminal 1 it used to be at the F/C and J/C check-in area, but is it the same for terminal 3?

Thank you guys in advance !!!

Ali_Xander
30th Oct 2008, 14:11
As you enter terminal 3, stay right (venture right and behind of the Emirates Ticketing Desk which only serves full fare passengers). It's on the right off the main corridor that runs the length of the terminal building. Once there, you will find check in desks for staff and stairs leading in a basement of sorts where all the Kiosks are to issue tickets and computers to check the portal etc. If (big IF) you are lucky, there might be a nice ground staff to help you if you need help with tickets etc.

Basically, you would think that Emirates do not want us to find our way to Staff Travel as it really is hidden in the depths of that new terminal. Weird.

I hope that made sense...:)

Leito
30th Oct 2008, 17:44
Thank you very much Ali_Xander, you are right, it seems too complicated, at terminal 1 it was dead easy, I shall pack my compas and GPS just in case I get lost :}

Thanks once again !!!! :ok:

vector3
30th Oct 2008, 20:45
How much is the housing-allowance pr month if you decide not to live in emirates-recidence?

Genevieve
10th Nov 2008, 11:41
Any other Aussies out there??

I was told by a passanger on my last flight that we are meant to pay tax back home for our earnings over here, unless we can prove we are no longer a resident and have no plan to move back to australia

Anyone know anything about this??:sad:

Hobart RockStarr
12th Nov 2008, 02:25
Best place to find out about tax is on the ato website. I recently moved home to Aus after a few years with EK, and so long as you pass (more appropriately- fail) the residency tests- "the 183 day test" "the domicile test" or the "resides test"-then you wont have to pay tax.
Because you are living in Dubai, on a 3 year contract and have essentailly relocated to the UAE with a live in- working visa you should be able to show you are not a resident for tax purposes. From memory I used the "domicile test".
Any income you DO receive in Aus, especially interest in bank accounts MUST be declared and is texed at the higher rate.
It's all quite confusing, but having just done it this year the ato website while giving some information is quite hard to navigate.
I'd suggest when you do come home to Aus that you get a professional to do your tax just to be certain.
Search results (http://www.ato.gov.au/SearchResults.asp?si=001%2F002&kw=residency+test)

Montreal76
20th Nov 2008, 18:33
Can't wait to be part of the EK team...crazy enough I also can't wait to experience all the bla bla talking up in here...can't be worse then working on a charter airline with planes that smell like vomit all the time lol

Happy Flying !

Smeagels Boyfriend
20th Nov 2008, 22:05
Heard a sickening story that a female crew member was hit by a male crew member with a bottle on a recent nightstop. I've really never heard anything quite like it if it is true.

Anyone confirm/deny.

Montreal76
21st Nov 2008, 02:08
Where did you hear that story ? Rage is unpredictable lol

CarineA
21st Nov 2008, 02:16
If this story is true, the guy is so wrong, hope he got fired 100 times. :\
violence= bad,,, baaaad

Emma Gemma
21st Nov 2008, 04:14
Wouldn't surprise me at all! Certainly not with all the backstabbing and power madness that's going on down there!

Smeagels Boyfriend
21st Nov 2008, 10:23
Heard a young ish captain who works for my company talking to some of our crew. Wasn't involved in the conversation myself, apparantly it was his little sis who was the attackee, cut to face, black eye. Don't know if there is any artistic licence, it certainly didn't sound like it. Utterly utterly sickening.

Sacked a 100 times, that would be a light punishment for that, those sort of people need weeding out of society.

Montreal76
21st Nov 2008, 14:59
That would certainly make a nice script for a B horror movie :)

alicori
26th Nov 2008, 19:51
Hy guys,

Just resigned from EK several month ago and kind of left some questions unanswered...Anybody can help me?:sad:
I need a record of my flying hours. I joined another airline back home and now they want to know how many hours I have as previous experience.
Any ideea from where I can get this paper and what i have to do?

Thx lots!:)

Kanoknuahaha
28th Nov 2008, 03:21
Just make a simple calculation...80-90h block/month x how many months you worked there...i'm sure can't be such a big story..an employer knows if somebody is true or lying. You joined Wizz?

alicori
28th Nov 2008, 09:03
Not Wizz but Tarom, the national carrier. The problem is that they want an official paper from Ek stating the number of flying hours....

Kanoknuahaha
29th Nov 2008, 14:57
Ok. Usally, this information is available for print out in your Aims/ roster program...but as you're no longer with the company...you can only try to cantact the welfare dept at Ek and ask them if they still have your records. If they do, it should be easy to send it to you. It's the only thing i can think about, i hope you sort it out and good luck with Tarom.

Cu sanatate,

MrWooby
11th Dec 2008, 03:10
Just a question for Emirates Cabin Crew. My partner has flown Emirates economy class Brisbane to Auckland five times over the last 2 years and every flight there has been no tea/coffee service carried out, due to "Turbulence". When in fact there was none. She's fairly certain that on the return leg there has been a tea/coffee service. Could you please confirm that this is due to time constraints on cabin service. Not a complaint, just like to know the reason.

cirrus17
11th Dec 2008, 11:15
Mr Wooby,

Before the flight, the flight deck receive a weather report telling them of any thunderstorms, wind speeds etc etc on route to the destination.
They can see in advance if an area appears to look as if there may be any turbulence during the flight.
The cabin crew are then briefed by the pilots before we board that, for example, 3 hours into the flight, there may be bumps.
The seatbelt sign is then turned on by the flightdeck 3 hours into the flight as a precaution.
Most of the time there are no bumps at all; the weather has changed whilst we were in the air, conditions are fine. However, if the pilots didn't put the signs on despite the fact that they knew that turbulence may occur, we could then be liable for not telling people to secure themselves.
We do not serve tea/coffee/hot liquids during times of turbulence, whether it appears to be bumpy or not... all it takes is one sudden bump and pax have got burns all over them.
If no tea coffee was served 5 times then unfortunately it was all just a coincidence.
(but you can always ask for one once the sign has gone off)
Having said all that....... :\
our proceedures changed recently, and it now up to the captain's discretion as to whether we are allowed to serve hot liquids when the seat belt sign is on.

MrWooby
11th Dec 2008, 21:28
Thanks Cirrus17

stellar
12th Dec 2008, 01:13
V. interesting question however don't think you'll have much luck having resigned.Once you've signed all on the pink form you're a number and hours flown is down to you ie production of your roster stamped and signed by your manager????

stellar
12th Dec 2008, 01:25
Any news on the unfortunate girl who tumbled down the escalator having been hit by a ceiling tile. Terrible rumours that she's in a coma. Are the rumours true.

stellar
12th Dec 2008, 01:34
Just to clarify that its not up to the Captain but with his intervention and the Purser's discretion that the above is being served. If the SFS felt it was absolutely unsafe to serve tea/coffee service then they must document same with the Purser's say-so!!!

Ali_Xander
13th Dec 2008, 19:05
PBR: Very enjoyable article. So, this is the perception which the outside world have of us. I must admit, depending what way one chooses to look at it, it is true. At least it is a thick layer of gloss and shine covering some of the less glamorous aspect to our job.

nivsy
14th Dec 2008, 19:03
Girl Friend is on the A380 from LHR to DXB sitting upfront in business upper deck and then on to Perth Aus tomorrow B 777 (15th)

Look after her nicely please.......

European Crew
14th Dec 2008, 23:13
Must admit, certailny was motivated by management. To attract new recruits. Welcome guys!

Leito
12th Jan 2009, 14:35
Hey, nearly a month since the last post, you guys must be very busy doing the LRC "Journey through India".

Any feedback from any one who has done the flights?, do customers like the new product?, c'mon, share your experiences and tell us what is going on up there in the friendly skies :}.

Greetings !!! :ok:

Ace McCloud
14th Jan 2009, 10:25
Hey guys. Apparently flights to NGO are going to be suspended from 29th March 2009 due to escalating operating costs/falling revenue on the route.
DUR is set to commence in October this year.

Ace McCloud
15th Jan 2009, 10:41
Just did a flight to India. I think the custo mers appreciate the extra meal choice and the added bar service prior to the meal. However, we were rushing to serve the lemon water, hot towels, toys and menus before departure!

baob2oba
16th Jan 2009, 03:57
Well,

With Qatar Airways and Etihad pushing on full full thrust ( and big cashflow in the cave ), with Kingfisher 5 Star airline according to Skytrax, with AirArabia, Jazeera, Bahrainair, Wataniya, Indianair, etc, slowly but surely becoming great competitors, with loads going down down down on European sectors, The "Rats of the Emir" decided to focus a bit more on these unfamous but lucrative Indian sectors.

Competition is truly advantageous... Dubai's Big Boss is right on that! Time to swallow the arrogance back and hope it won't affect too much the Company and its backbone, the Crew!
But how can you decently carry on a predeparture drink service in Y class with let's say 400 pax in a 2 class config aircraft ? What's the real message behind an ever more complex onboard service ?

To me it's just powder in the eye. Once the surprise effect has gone, pax will ask for more or fly back home for half the price.

Correct me if I'm wrong but EK has become a huge, HUGE machine, with a strong network and more than decent financial backup, but this mothership is victim of its own size. I believe some guys at IFS are unable to effectively manage large entities like probably a 9 or 10k Cabin Crew Department, unable to find creative and innovative solutions to improve Service, Corporate and External relationship management, and above all, largely satisfied with a fear culture as a management style to control the troops.

Add it the total lack of vertical communication from top to base, unfair and more restrictive crew scheduling policies than years before ( not talking about manual insertion but AMAZING rosters some guys get each month because they know who they know and I know what I'm talking about and who some of them are, from both sides...:E. New restrictions like " oops, sorry, affecting next month's roster ! " ), salary discrimination ( you would be amazed to know how much a national GR2 makes a month ), line management becoming attendance controllers who believe that sickness is a way to measure productivity...

Add it fresh onboard seniors on a power trip who should undergo psychotechnical tests before graduating, freshly new cabin crew who absolutly don't care about the job and came here only to party or to escape their own condition, general mess at the accomodation and this kindergarden touch, and you get a pretty good picture of the hidden iceberg.

Finance was doing particulary well up to 2008 and was actively masking that, but these days are gone and the worst is ahead. One day someone will have to notice that you don't manage people as oranges to be squeezed until all the juice's out, then get xtra oranges from another continent and who cares about the turnover and its cost.
" figures are average for the industry in an expatriate environment ", let me laugh...

One day someone will have to hire more ground staff at the Ops/Crew Planning and Scheduling, because automatisms, as you can see, can't do such a good job, otherwise it wasn't needed to accustom employees to a certain higher level of flexibility in the past. I know cost control means EVERYTHING at Ek but don't provide Crew with a bid/Swap system if it's unfairly managed or doesn't work. Frustration is already high, no need to make it a new corporate value, but does someone really care ?
Finally, one day, someone will have to notice that although the UAE behaves like Europe 50 years ago regarding customer relationship, developping and implementing new services that satisfy temporarily an emerging class of customers won't retain them. Does someone know about Innovation instead of Mediocrity in the region, or is it just me that should move my ass out of there ?
Hope the pax like it for now, as you break your back running with your silver tray during taxi !

5allas, that was just my 2 cents, there's surely a way for constructive feedback, that's Rest day for me and I spend my time on pprune... I certainly need a holiday :}

Any echo about the employee survey, or did they burry it below burj dubai?

What's up Leito ? Good to hear from you again :)

Leito
17th Jan 2009, 10:43
Hats off to you baob2boa, that was en exceptional report and you are a master at it, everything that you said its soo right, I also wonder how much longer will the crew put up with this unecessary changes that all they do is to stress out the crew even more and to raise the customers expectations even more as they'll expect that type of service on every route now.

I always think that "less is more" and the crew is so over worked that they will give up vey soon with all of these changes.

Anyway, I haven't done the service myself, so I can't comment on it, but it seems all unecessary, maybe if it was introduces by steps, meaning, start by the language part, then later with the change of the menu / tray, certainly there is no need to pre-dep drink and the bar service has never worked in the past, why would it work now?, poor SFS when all they usually get on those flights are 2 SUPYS and if lucky 3 1st or 2nd operational GR2s.

Enough said, keep recovering !!! :}

primadiandare
19th Jan 2009, 14:30
Hi everybody. I am an EK CC and I heard twice from two pilots this rumor that EK is going to open a basis in FCO. Does anybody know more about this? Thank you.

laguna23
22nd Jan 2009, 07:29
Well, I have Chennai tonight, so will see how that goes ... from what I have been hearing, is that most crew find, that there is not enough time to complete everything?!!! Maybe they should of just made the tickets more affordable? :E.... Something else that has been bothering me, is the attitude of some of the new crew... what's the point of lecturing us abt respecting each other in briefing and then once onboard, it goes out the window?! :ugh: ... Also howcome they are upgrading everyone in economy?!??! ... even the ones with loads of sick days and absents?!! :* Oh well... nothing makes sense ....:sad:

Happy Flying :)

777w
23rd Jan 2009, 09:03
Apparently there is a HUGE backlog of vacancies to be filled in Premium Cabins ...so everybody is getting an upgrade...also I know for a fact that FG1's who are only a month or two old are getting selected for a SFS position!!!!!!!!!!
As for the Indian sectors...i am an Indian crew and I know that the prices to India are Ridiculously HIGH.....so prices should be dropped instead of doing a 9 step service !

Letsfly
23rd Jan 2009, 09:26
There are not as many new crew coming through anymore. There use to be 5 classes a week of ab initios now app there are only about 4 and not as many in each class.

This year they are starting to recruit for 380 Ab initio crew as well

mohit
27th Jan 2009, 09:58
After 2 attempts up to the final interviews in last year and a half I am finally flying to Dubai on 13th March. Its been a very tough & trying period, but hang in there I would say. Anyone else from Australia, Melbourne????

Juzz51
27th Jan 2009, 22:25
Mohit! Congratulations dude! I knew you would get it, will be good to see you over here soon ;)

Just did the new service to AMD, flight time of 2:03, what a joke. Not only do we have to deal with all the luggage these passengers bring on board, but now we have all this extra work to do before take off. And don't even get me started on stress of service during the flight. There's just not enough time, one problem with the passenger and you've fallen behind. IFE needs resetting? Sorry, not enough time to call to get it reset.

One good thing though is that we had a cabin crew manager come to our briefing to give us an idea of what to expect during service as he observed the same flight last week and noticed we were some what over worked. So hopefully with all the feedback that they are asking for, they will at least go back to the old service for the shorter flights.

Funny thing is, basically none of the passengers realised it was a new service. Most annoying thing, handing out those lemon drinks for pre depatures and passengers requesting beer, whiskey, etc instead...ummm, no!

jacquelinee
30th Jan 2009, 18:09
Guys,

On your three cabin class service 773 with economy seats from rows 15 through 50, how do you do the service? Do you have crew starting at rows 15 (working down) and 50 (working up, ie 48, 47 etc) with the second somewhere in the middle?

bkkfly
31st Jan 2009, 12:43
I agree with everything Baop2oba wrote. EK is already hitting an iceburg in terms of recruitment and retainment.

Soon most cc will come only from developing countries like S.A or the sub continent. CC from Aus, UK etc are leaving in high numbers. My CCM was telling me the average stay for Aus crew is only 10 months. CC from UK, NZ, Aus etc cant tollerate EK company culture for too long. There is already the other problem too of double standards in CC treatment. CC from the later get away with much more than say, CC from Phil and CC from UK, Aus etc seem to act as though they are precious... but then again the way EK is going they soon may be.

Juzz51
1st Feb 2009, 05:36
I flew with a Purser who has been here for a long long time, and he put it perfectly. Back in the day they treated the crew really well, pay was good, allowance was good, everything was good, and word spread that Emirates was the airline to work for. Today, Emirates still has that good name to an extent, but the difference is they treat us like crap. We are literally just a number to them, and we are slowly becoming low paid laborers. We continue to earn less every year.

The sad thing is there is nothing we can do about it. With no unions, and the fact that if you speak out you'll get fired (someone got fired for speaking out on their blog and got caught), we have little recourse but to quit and find a better job. The worst thing is that Emirates know they can get away with this, because there's just so many people out there in the world wanting to become Cabin Crew, who will ignore all the warnings out there about this company, they just know it can't be THAT bad. Eventually Emirates will lose their good name as the company to work for in the airline industry, but there will still be people out there willing to work for them. We can only hope there won't be enough to meet their demands and they'll try to make things better for us.

Now on to the rumors! Just some things I've heard, some are pretty much confirmed, others are rumors that are probably completely untrue, you decide:

With NGO down to 3 times a week, it will be completed ended by March. I've been told this is mainly because with Toyota stuggling through the economic crisis they are no longer filling our premium cabins and/or cargo for this route to continue being profitable
With NGO gone, I heard they will be opening up NRT
Emirates plans on selling or leasing out most of the A380s they have on order due to problems with the a/c and/or it can't live up to the promises Airbus made about how far it can travel/fuel consumption, etc
Emirates plans on canceling all but 10 of the a380s they have on order for same reasons as above
Due to the financial crisis Emirates will soon be canceling a lot more routes that will put us under 100 destinations world wide
As most of you will know, reserve months for GR1s & GR2s, not a lot of people are getting called out, we simply have too many staff. One hot rumor going around is that we will be offered 2 weeks of unpaid leave. The fact that they just opened more leave slots for the month of March only adds more fuel to the rumor. I know I'll be applying for it if it happens!!Thats all I have for now. One rumor that did come true, no more CHC!! :{

bkkfly
1st Feb 2009, 07:32
Juzz, your rumour confirmations are correct but in addition San Paulo is also being scrapped (Thank god) 17 hr flight with 24hr LO...Hello?!

In terms of the company stuff, I remain confident that things will change for some CC because:

For UK and Pacific routes they need to retain some Aus/NZ, UK cc and the cost of replacing us every 10 months cant equate to retainment of CC.

If they dont do something in terms of money they simply wont be able to attract intelligent cc from the higher wage countries and then what will happen to the international CC marketing? Imagine the PA: "Our international cabin crew (From all the developing countries of the world) speak many languages (excluding native English as they have all left) for your convenience..."

Mari
1st Feb 2009, 09:06
Yes, that's correct.

The average stay of Australians: 10 months. They have the highest turnover rate and the highest number of sick days.

Yes, they are the MOST demotivated crew - I think you stated it as a fact. Therefor it's quite hard to work with some of them because of their arrogance and laziness and "don't give a sh-t"-attitude.

I think Emirates treats the crew too good: we still have too many peple from the UK, Australia and NZ.

Mari
1st Feb 2009, 09:31
Yes, good old times... You could drive through Dubai in 15 minutes and everything was soooo cheap!!!

Yes, and the story-teller Purser was young and there was nothing but sand in Dubai!

Please, don't be so naive and believe everything! If you want to have smaller traffic and a village touch, go to Abu Dhabi and work for Etihad! It's a much smaller company, everybody knows everybody! If you KNOW the right people, you will have excellent rosters and (you're Australian, right?) become a Manager very soon. (I most likely won't have the opportunity, bad luck.)

Sorry, you wouldn't be satisfied with the money: inflation is high there, as well. Basic salary for ab-anitio is 2700 dhs, hourly credit is 40 dhs.

I'm really touched that there are unions in Europe. It's sooo much better for them!

My friend works for Lufthansa as a long-haul flight attendant (Americas), based in Münich. We met last year and he told me: 1100 euro in hand. And you have to pay rent and gas and electricity and transportation. They are on strike right now! My friend joined Ryanair 4 months ago (based in Liverpool). She said that her salary only went over 1000 pounds in the 4th month.

Most of you, guys, are spoiled. You don't have any idea... I can see that you are 22-23. Did you have any working experience before EK? Is Emirates really so much worse than the previous companies you worked for?!

Yes, Management (most of them are from where? Oh, yes, Australians and British) should treat crew better. And yes, you are a number: out of 12,000 crew! Do you expect a phone call from Tim Clark?! How do YOU treat other people???? Do you know the names of your security gurads?! Do you always say "hello and thank you" to the bus driver?! Do you always say hello to your fellow crew members in the crew bus?! If you don't, most likely you would also treat the crew sh-t if you were part of the management. Sorry, that's my opinion.

And one more thing: I am NOT a native English speaker. I learnt English and German at school and worked in the USA and Germany. HOW MANY FOREIGN LANGUAGES DO YOU SPEAK???

ONE native speaker is more than enough on a Sydney-flight, we don't need 6. We will try to improve our language skills, communicational skills and learn more about service. That's all we can do if our wonderful, hard working Australians and Brits are leaving us. By the way: which British crew would be so stupid to resign now, in the middle of the biggest economic crisis that affects the UK the most???

Mari
1st Feb 2009, 09:44
All gossips seem to be true, yes.

In addition: no bonus and no pay-rise this year.

I hope that 2010-11 will be better for all of us.

Nobody has the right to complain here but me: I'm on the 380 from the beginning and I went through hell. They cancelled my upgrade in June and I did not get it since. My badgemates are in the SFS pool with hundreds of sick days. (I'm absolutely sure that nobody looks at the attendance and/or performance records.) And I'm hearing that Emirates wants to get rid of these aircrafts?! No way... all the training, the horrible flights, being observed by SFPs and managers all the time... all for nothing!

And no: off days don't compensate the cancelled upgrade. Anyways, we have RSV days in all rosters (3 off, 3 RSV, 3 off), so you cannot go home. Swapping is almost impossible (because of RSVs and legality) and Bidding simply doesn't work.

Hmm, I will resign! Oooops, the only problem is that I would make 6 times less money at home IF I found a job. Going home is simply NOT an option.

Guys, you don't have any reason to feel bad! Go to the beach and enjoy the sunshine!

777w
1st Feb 2009, 12:36
Well said Mari....everybody has a choice...you either Work HERE or GO HOME!!!!! It's not rocket science to figure that one out. :ok:

baob2oba
1st Feb 2009, 14:02
Mmmm,

From my side, I'm not 22 or 23, I'm not a native english speaker, but I have a degree, and more than 6 years experience in different countries including western europe.

We all came to the UAE for different reasons, mine was certainly not to get a better quality of life, nor sunburning like a lizard on a stone at the beach.

I don't believe Australians are so lazy, or more lazy than any other nationality. I've known amazing Ozzies and Kiwies onboard, and regarding arrogance and negative attitude, they are not worse than ex USSR nationals.
Actually they are how they are and nothing more. Native english speakers seem to behave strangely sometimes and that's mainly because they assume that we all speak english like they do. Most of them didn't learn any foreign language, it doesn't help opening the mind.
Are you soon planning to tell us more about x staying more than y in the lavatory, or is it that A380 touch spreading from your words?
It's ok, no need to treat some of us, although we only fly B777s and smaller Airbus.

Cultural and language borders are a HUGE challenge for the company...

For the village touch and smaller company in the vicinity, I would choose Al Ain and a charter airline.
Abu Dhabi's development plan for the next 20 years will make Dubai look like a hut, and regarding Etihad, it's a company with more than 255 aircrafts ordered and a pimp cashflow supported by the biggest sovereign wealth fund on earth, that make me feel more careful, particulary since Abu Dhabi's started """supporting""" ( meaning absorbing ) the Emirates Group and other Dubai companies.
Remember that the EK Group's ownership was transfered in only a day, last 31st of December, from the Dubai's Gov. to a sub holding where Abu Dhabi nibbles share after share ?

Ok, our management is anglo-saxon and mainly from the UK. True they have an easier way to deal and interact with same nationals, and we all have with our compatriots, don't you ? The UAE is an ex UK Protectorate and among the 100.000 Brits living in the country, more than 90.000 reside in Dubai, but still it doesn't explain why sickness would account in productivity calculation, it's an economic non-sense.

Me, Myself and I, we don't expect any phone call from TC, TD or KG, however one from our CCM would be nice sometimes, but we have heard that they now prefer to call regarding sick days, maybe are we wrong ?

Now Rumors, I don't know about them, but I'm sure the " better than ever " relaunched Rumor Buster would help, but, no? Don't tell me it disappeared again !?
Bonus & Payrise, no idea at all.
3% last year on the basic, while the FDP increased as you now report earlier for your flight.
5% on flying hours, with a lovely 10 to 20% inflation in the country... ( Gov says less than 10, banks say closer to 20. I look at my daily expenses and wonder if it's not 50% over some goods ).
Anyway, we have been loosing money over the years, not even talking about the EPR, so what to expect for next year? No big deal Sister, only the first slap is astonishing.

Then, sorry if you're on the A380 and all of that good work and reporting is not rewarded, but that wouldn't be the first time here.

Some say " Accept it or Leave it " ?

Ah, well... They are such a figure in the company... I guess they would act the same during the war...
Why trying to change and improve things for better? Let's follow the masses and get numbed like sheeps, after all, the majority is always right !

Pathetic.

Juzz51
1st Feb 2009, 21:43
Sorry if you took my post the wrong way Mari, I obviously should've also mentioned that I am HAPPY working for Emirates and there are a lot of good points, but it's easier to point out the bad. And there's nothing crew love more than to complain.

I'm sorry that you feel as though you've been passed over for promotion because you are not from Australia or the UK. It's sad to see that you have a pre-conceived notion that all English speaking crew are lazy, I imagine that working with you would be a nightmare when you already hate us all.

Try not to pull the wool over your own eyes though, yes our conditions are pretty good compared to others, however we are only learning less and less each year. The standard 3% increase in salary each year doesn't come close to matching the rate of inflation. Emirates realise that they can pay us less and less without and real repercussions, and all we can do is sit back and take it. I'm sorry, but where I come from, these type of things are NEGOITABLE, but here, should we dare to speak up, we'll be forced to resign most likely. Yes I knew all this before coming to the Middle East, but still, it's annoying, and I choose to complain about that.

Also for your information, yes I had work experience before coming to Emirates, 7 years worth, and I also speak 3 languages.

Please don't assume I don't treat others with respect, I do. Yes I know the security guards in my building, the bus drivers on my route, the guys at the local supermarket etc...No I don't expect a call from Tim Clarke, but being treated like a number, and being watched everywhere we go is a bit annoying. I mean really, why do we need to swipe our ID cards to get to any part of the new HQ, why do they need to know where we're going, at what time, etc?

Anyway, EK is still a great company to work for, but for how much longer? It should be a lot better.

bkkfly
1st Feb 2009, 23:25
Mari, i don't mean to be personal but you seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder. Your comments about UK, Aussie crew aside from being generalisations border on being racist. You say you love EK so much, so isn't the international mix of cabin crew including native speakers from the forementioned a good thing?

Aussies, Kiwis, Brits are all good to work with if you try to understand their back ground. For example, in the case of Aussies they have it so good back in their country which is why they seem to complain a lot here. The unemployment pay they get from the government when they don't have a job is equal to our base salary! So you cant expect them to take the work too seriously. So why don't they just all go home? Many are here because they just want to travel for a year or because when they came they thought they would make more money. Their aspirations are not going to be the same as yours, which is fair enough. When EK recruit in NZ for example they wont say how much you will earn as when you convert to local salary rates its a joke. That said, after you resign from a job and take the trouble of coming over here you cant just run back to your country.

Basically the difference between native speaker cc and other cc is that for them they are mainly here for an experience, travel a bit, party and then go home. For other CC, this is a career, a job better than what they could get back in their home country, good money and even a better standard of living. You need to remember that when you work with Aussie cc etc, most of them have come from something much better than compared to what you have come from.

The reality is that most EK cc from Africa, middle east, Asia wouldn't be able to enter UK, Aus, Can even on tourist visas so they are fortunate to get the chance to travel to these countries.

Another rumour I have heard is that EK is scrapping the FX protection and base salary will instead be adjusted depending on what country you are from. Therefore cc from Aus, UK and some EU countries are likely to end up earning much more.

Juzz51
2nd Feb 2009, 00:55
Well said bkkfly.

Also I like that rumor, definately a step in the right direction if it happens. But doubt it happens, as then those from the less privileged countries will then be earning less I suppose :{ There's already enough bitching about Emrati's earning basically double that of what any of us do, so if we all earn different amounts, could you imagine the anger?

On another note, loving the triple daily service to Melbourne! Easier to get flights home now, and no more ridiculous 17 hour layover in Melbourne :D

Mari
2nd Feb 2009, 11:07
Thank you all for the objective posts. I must agree with everbody in all points which were raised.

jacquelinee
2nd Feb 2009, 12:36
Being treated like a number. I would except that's the case with most larger airlines as it's probably impossible to know every single person that's working for them. It even happens at BA and LH and probably at ground based companies also.

Also as for swiping your ID card to gain access to the HQ could have something to do with security, couldn't it...

ashlaurenn
2nd Feb 2009, 13:51
Hey all,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a mac book and cannot get onto some parts of the portal, most importantly e-swap. Does anyone know what i have to do, programs to download etc. Going into HQ to do my swapping is getting a bit old.

Thanks Kids.
:ok:

:)

Juzz51
4th Feb 2009, 13:58
It's just been confirmed that we'll be flying to Durban from the 1st of October, just in time for the World Cup in 2010 :O

Flight EK775 will depart Dubai at 0445hrs, arriving at Durban International Airport at 1130hrs. The return flight, EK 766, leaves Durban at 1300hrs and gets into Dubai at 2340hrs. A 278-seat Airbus A330-200 in a two-class configuration will be deployed on the flight, lasting around 8hrs 45 minutes.

777w
5th Feb 2009, 07:08
Can someone please explain as to what does "FDP CC " stand for ! I keep getting this reason for all my swaps that get rejected...On E-mailing the swap team, I got an out of office reply stating that they are currently Revamping the SWAP SHOP!!!!!!
Now here's a set of ppl that P*ss me off !

Juzz51
5th Feb 2009, 19:31
Upgrades for the month of March have been put on hold as rumors continue to swirl about unpaid leave...If it happens I wonder how it will work, I imagine a lot of people will go for it. Will it be based on first come first served, or seniority?

Ali_Xander
5th Feb 2009, 20:07
It is true, we have most definitely stopped recruitment and all upgrades from March 09 until further notice. Was told this yesterday by the cabin crew managers who came to graduation. They state that this could be a good thing as now they can focus on consistency. Big word the latter!

If the rumours are to be true, that would be awesome to get rid of Sao Paolo, the layover is way too short and even the Lufthansa crew mocks us for flying god-knows-how-long for a layover that still leaves you feeling like a zombie when back on the aircraft to Dubai. The Brasilians will not be too happy though if that route goes!

Oh, cancellation of the A380! Wohoo! That whale should never have seen the light of day. Bring on more Boeings I say, preferably the new 747s Intercontinental.
:ok:

Juzz51
5th Feb 2009, 23:44
I actually heard a rumor that Sao Paolo will be becoming a double daily. I haven't done the flight before, are the loads usually pretty light? It wasn't so long ago that there was talk of Rio being a new destination, so it's interesting to see if we pull out of Brazil all together.

Also, today in London, got to see one of our A380's take off finally after being stuck here for 4 days...no cabin crew, no passengers, just cockpit crew. Gotta love the way that thing is just chewing up money at the moment :bored: When will they ever iron out the problems?

777w
6th Feb 2009, 09:00
Oh, cancellation of the A380! Wohoo! That whale should never have seen the light of day. Bring on more Boeings I say, preferably the new 747s Intercontinental.

We do have the 747-8I on order but its for Sky Cargo. EK would have loved to buy the 787 but Boeing is not ready to Upsize the Aircraft as of now ..so we decided to buy the COPY version of it ..the A350 instead (which is still on the drawing board !!!) . Also the fact that Airbus Industrie has always managed to give EK a SUBSTANTIAL discount on all of its products. Besides EK is now in a REAL dilemma because the A380 Burns a LOT more fuel than the 777-300er on any given mission ! So much for the credibility of Airbus calculating Fuel Burn. :D

tiniviel
6th Feb 2009, 12:25
do you know anything about the new cabin crew courses at the emirates?... i should join your company on 13. march...and should start with the course. but... things you talk here does not put smile on my face...

zerozol
6th Feb 2009, 15:59
for the fellow "ozzie and british" peep, who only plan to "work" (mean: party and see the world) for 1-2 years with EK:

http://www.pprune.org/cabin-crew-wannabes/331248-emirates-wannabes-recruitment-v-29.html

posted by helfsich, post number 562; reply to post by hard2fly, number 557.

"Just a bit of background for you guys - I currently work for EK, originally from Perth, have done so for 3 years(...) Admittedly a lot of people come to Dubai and find that is isn't what they think it is. They come here, party all the time, call sick for a Jeddah, Bombay, Lagos, Shanghai, and wonder why they get called into the office, wonder why their rosters aren't as good as their batchmates, wonder why they haven't been upgraded to Business Class yet. Spend their money at all the malls and nightclubs and wonder why they've been here for a year or two and haven't been able to save anything despite not paying rent or utility bills or taxi cabs to and from work. They're on the phone to their boyfriend/girlfriend 2-3 times a week, who's complaining that they never see them, and yet these same crew never bid for flights because 'I never get what I want anyway'.

This job requires a HUGE lifestyle change. I cannot stress that enough. And whilst many people know that, are told that by friends in the industry or read it here on PPRuNe, many do not know how different this is until they start this job. Not to mention the huge culture shock of moving to an Arabic country, which may look western in those ads on TV or on travel shows, but is still very much clinging onto it's Muslim traditions. For some reason the Aussie crew, despite being one of the most dominant nationalities, tend to have one of the highest turnover rates. Many of them take on this job, use it purely to see different countries, and leave. Then talk about EK as treating them 'like a dog', as hard2fly puts it.(...)"

and so on... wait, i don't want to be offensive to all westerners; i'm not racist though.

just some logic, friends: who the hell goes to work for a so big company without knowing about background (i.e. salary)? on recruitment days the EK-peep don't tell you the salary on NZ dollars? go to emiratesgroupcarreers, or find a lot of infos here on PPRuNe, and then to xe.com and make it yourself, before even going to the interview in your country!
if an ozzie and kiwi and british goes to work for EK without knowing carefully all the infos concerning salary, Company Policy, company and country culture, etc., wft for complaining?
it's the applicant's fault, sorry!

and yes, you can tell i'm not a crew member and not member of the above mentioned countries, i'm from Europe, Central, and i love multi-culture and don't have any problem with different backgrounds - just with ignorance and complaining without reflection on our own faults!

peace!

Zed

bkkfly
6th Feb 2009, 16:20
San Paulo is definately being cut T.God! bad luck for the South Americans...I wonder will they still be required now? However, we now have Durban which will be like a Bombay...(if you know the profile of Durban passengers....I am sure we are Air India in secret).

I have also heard A380 crew were being put back on main fleet. I also heard from a trainer that several newly arrived batches were sent back home...yes, really.

I so agree the A380 should never have seen the light of day.

Keep Recovering.

Juzz51
7th Feb 2009, 03:58
I was half asleep at the time, but I believe somewhere in the Emirates wannabes thread I read something about people having done the medicals already and then being told they've stopped recruiting. That's really gotta be annoying wasting all the money and time, being told to leave your job etc...I wonder if they will keep these people for later, or if they'll have to go through the whole recruitment process again?

EDIT: Just read the wannabes thread again, and yes, it seems a lot of offers have been withdrawn, even after the medicals have been done, and yes, it looks as though they'll have to go through the whole process again. That's horrible. Feel sorry for these people.

Ace McCloud
8th Feb 2009, 17:56
Am with you on this one 77W! I too keep getting "fdp cc" (what the bloody hell does that mean?!!) as a reason for rejection on the swap shop. I have also sent an email to the swap team and have received the same computer generated reply that you have got. It is really frustrating! I have received loads of swaps for a flight that I don't want to do but I cannot do anything about it!

777w
8th Feb 2009, 21:59
Am with you on this one 77W! I too keep getting "fdp cc" (what the bloody hell does that mean?!!) as a reason for rejection on the swap shop. I have also sent an email to the swap team and have received the same computer generated reply that you have got. It is really frustrating! I have received loads of swaps for a flight that I don't want to do but I cannot do anything about it!

Is it for a flight u called sick for in the last 2 months cuz i did for this particular flight! Maybe...just maybe they are blocking it from getting swapped!!!!

the skys the limit
10th Feb 2009, 12:01
thanks zerozol 4 pointing this out, i completely agree with you. I used to work with a certain airline and it did treat its staff like dogs, we had to pay £2000 for training, went 2 months without getting any kind of wage and then when we did get paid, it was about a third of what emirates staff get paid. I did my training and then got "dumped" in a country that i had never been to before, and i had to find my own acomodation the same day, pay a deposit and a months rent upfront and move in with very little furniture and no bed sheets because i couldnt afford to buy them. I also got in loads of debt with my bank with unorthorised overdrafts which, a year later, im still paying off.
People who work with emirates should thank god every day they have such a wonderful employer that gives them so much in return, I would do anything to work for them but as everyone knows now, they have stopped recruiting. I hope when they resume recruiting it will show in my interview how much I would appreciate working for such a rewarding airline and how thankful I would be of their employment of me :D

magicmorris
10th Feb 2009, 13:00
There are so many rumours!

Who knows what we should believe, the upgrades are definately on hold, I have recieved the letter and been told I will recieve a new date in the future! No time frame is mentioned but when I spoke to my manager she says it could be anything from 6 months to a year before upgrade courses are reschedueled.

As for recruitement, one of my friends recieved the joining email, submitted all the medicals, was accepted for joining on 6th Feb! Only to recieve an email on the 5th Feb, that the course is on hold and they will hear in April, with regards the next steps to joining.

As for the A380 rumours, who knows what is going on with that aircraft, otherthan it is just draining money from the company.

And with route cancellations, I think we should wait and see what is announced!

Yeah working for EK is frustrating, but I couldnt earn the same amount working in the UK, so Im just gunna sit tight and ride out the storm........

laguna23
10th Feb 2009, 15:14
:(
... is that they always listen to the next person. If you have not been to Durban, South Africa, then please keep your opinions to yourself. Suggesting that the passenger profile is going to be like a ''Bombay flight'' , without having experienced the flight as yet, is really sad. Durban is a beautiful place and the people there are very friendly ... and for your information, the Indian majority, are not from ''Bombay'' or India for that matter, they are South Africans. What I dislike most, is when crew have so many negative things to say about destinations, hotels or even passenger profiles, and when you ask them if they have experienced it for themselves, they simply reply '' Oh, no I havn't been there, but someone I know told me that ..... '' :ugh:

P.S There are loads of crew from Durban, from all grades, who will be more than happy to take your flights. :ok:

Ace McCloud
10th Feb 2009, 17:00
I have not called sick fro this particular flight before. I believe fdp stands for flying duty period. Maybe when I try to swap this flight, I or the person that I am swapping with exceeds the amount of hours we are permitted to fly in a month. Just a very wild guess! I wish that there was someone we could contact who could help explain the situation. It is just frustrating! Good luck with your swaps!

jeaniepie
11th Feb 2009, 08:47
Does EK still have continuous recruitment? Ive heard that that there are not much ab initios being trained as compared to last year?
Does anyone also knows the process of rejoining?I left January 2008 and I am wanting to rejoin. How long does it normally take to process it? I will be rejoining EK soon. :ok:

magicmorris
11th Feb 2009, 11:27
As far as I am aware, rejoining has stopped , and if you wish to come back to EK, you have to go through the whole recruitment process again!

Im not 100% sure as again, it is just one rumour I have heard!

Good Luck!

Ali_Xander
13th Feb 2009, 05:48
You gotta love Galley Gossip. I was one of the lucky few batches who graduated to Grade 1 (yay :ok:) yesterday and still counting my lucky stars as others in my batch who had their course scheduled for March have all been cancelled. Anyhow, yesterday before graduation, we had a talk with one of the managers and we had a chance to find out some information in regards to rumours.

Recruitment is continuing albeit on a very smaller scale and from March onwards, only one AB Initio per week will be trained. This is apparently happening because EK has already sent out confirmation of employment letters out to people and therefore have to uphold their promise. These were the words of the Cabin Crew Manager who took the session. I am not sure how believable that is.

Next up, the only new route to be opening this year is Durban and nothing else apparently. Nagoya will be going as you all know but Sao Paolo will definitely not be getting the axe and the layover is not getting longer! Brasilian's Rejoice..hehe

Paid leave...not happening unless this storm we are in gets worse, therefore at this point in time, that is not an option we were told.

We were all given a reality check too, and told frankly that the situation is bad, really bad and in the entire time since Emirate's existence, things have never been this doom and gloom. Therefore we are very much lucky to be in the situation we are in to have a job. Did anyone see that last week BA made a loss of £150 million? So, really, why are we still complaining?

I say let the rumour mill churn out more rumours and as long as we have a job and a salary at the end of the month, we all have something to be smiling about.

ps: There are tonnes of Ozzies, Kiwi's and us Brits who are very happy with our jobs, so a little less of this generalisation that we do not gather enough information before packing up and leaving for Dubai. :D

deon85
13th Feb 2009, 18:59
same boat as you with the macbook
the only thing you can do is by using boot camp & installing windows on your mac...

hope this helps

d

Skywards
15th Feb 2009, 09:01
Recruitment is continuing albeit on a very smaller scale and from March onwards, only one AB Initio per week will be trained. This is apparently happening because EK has already sent out confirmation of employment letters out to people and therefore have to uphold their promise. These were the words of the Cabin Crew Manager who took the session. I am not sure how believable that is.

Congrats on G1! In regards to what you said above, thought I would let you know that a large portion of us who had our employment letters and medicals all done and received have had our offers withdrawn. Unfortunately for us they didn't uphold their promise! You can see the painful details on the Wannabees page.

koppe
15th Feb 2009, 17:32
Hello, Im not from this forum, and shouldnt be cause Im not a cc, anyway.. Ive got to speak up, well Ive lived in nz and uk for a few years, and i know by fact that you cant earn the same money they offer you at emirates working in those countries, specially in nz. unless youre graduated and have had the luck to fish a good job if youre not too lazy and still works for starbucks or something like that as many people do and then wonder why its so hard to get another job.. oh but hey they can live from the government!! you just wont be able to get retired thou.. but thats the governement's fault!
anyway what I want to say is that its quite offending to hear that people from "developing" countries have to understand that you've got it better and don't need the job ..so of course" you don't need to work so hard! what do you know about this developing countries youre talking about? not much! right?
so if you choose to go to a foreign country and have the chance to work with people from all over the world my advice is to make the most of it, and learn from the people you meet and not just put yourself on a different higher level and continue to live in your little world.. open your minds!

Oxaliza_Oxen
15th Feb 2009, 17:50
I think you are trying to misleading a bit of my says.

I mentioned to you about Australia not NZ or UK. and those people who earned less than $60,000AUD last year will be given the gift $900AUD for the coming month from the government regarding the economic crisis. And we deserved to get this because we pay 30% tax.

Yes, the pay rates is far better than developing country because the law that our people have the voice to speak out and to be listened.

So please listen before you snap it out. We have union in Australia, and I come from developing country as well, I'm just one of the lucky person who migranted here after I graduated and qualified to get the citizenship by skills migrant. So pls not to snap out with people in NZ of UK. It's all about the job satisfaction and if you were here as I am now, you would love to have this freedom, it's not always the money.. I am earning about AUD2500 a month but yes I got some overtimes as well. the pay rates is been set by our government and we are working hard as we have to pay loads of tax, so when we have no job we can use the government support.

Of course, there are some lazy people here as well and they are taking up my tax pay through the government, but should I complain about the system, Nob..because one day I might need it. Yes, we do have superunation plan for our retriement but that is the law.

So please be greteful for what we are having now. You can go ahead with Etihad AD as you are planning and now you know the facts so why don't you just keep being positive to yourself and do the best of your positive mind you have after the tragedy from EK to get the best out from your day with EY. Be mindfulness is the best.

And the person who mentioned about "developing" country on the previous post, she is bkkfly so she is from BKK is Bangkok and it is in Thailand!!!

Please re-read again!! I think you are getting a bit confused.

koppe
15th Feb 2009, 18:16
hey i didnt write that to you oxen.. i dont know where youre coming from.. and please dont pm me anymore. as far as i know i have the right to an opinion too, and i have read the previous posts fairly well before writing. but definitly not your posts as they make no sense wotsoever.

jacquelinee
16th Feb 2009, 00:13
ps: There are tonnes of Ozzies, Kiwi's and us Brits who are very happy with our jobs, so a little less of this generalisation that we do not gather enough information before packing up and leaving for Dubai.

Seeing as you couldn't get a job with another carrier, I could only imagine that you are happy to have a job with EK!

bkkfly
16th Feb 2009, 12:38
Jacuqi...what a dumb comment. I can tell you that a lot of Aussie CC were former cc back in Oz with either Virgin, Jetstar, and ex Ansett/Qantas crew. I am half Australian. As I have said in other posts most who come to EK, only come for 10 months to a year for travel and to see the world. Aussies are accustomed to their unions, industry set wages and Australian working conditions which is why they don't hang around too long in the middle East. Its to good back in Aus but we dont mind putting up with a year of EK to get what WE want out of it. To say that Aussie,Kiwi UK CC are happy to have a job with EK because they could not get a job with another airline is really misinformed...you sound like the loser:ugh:
The post from the Brasil person is "sour". Dude - its not our fault that Aussies are perhaps not as "appreciative" of the job as you are. Maybe EK got you out of your slum back in Brasil, but the truth of the matter is that Aussies and Kiwis can go home at anytime and get unemployment pay from the goverment which is like equal to your basic salary with EK. We are not trying to rub your nose in it but thats the truth of the matter. So whilst we are open minded when working with you guys you should keep our position in mind too.

Oxaliza_Oxen
16th Feb 2009, 13:33
I like your honesty and being straight up front! :D

koppe
16th Feb 2009, 15:21
"dude", youre sadly ignorant when it comes to the world across your borders, hahaha! unions? set wages? working conditions? oh my god! your country is sooo advanced!! im so impressed!! :D
i dont expect you to understand wot its like being a brazilian, and dont expect you to understand my ways but i dont think i have to understand yours so if working with a brazilian, a russian, an indian, a brit ... do try to understand people should all be treated in the same way no matter where theyre from.

TightSlot
16th Feb 2009, 15:31
Please lift this conversation out of the gutter and up to something more relevant and interesting than squabbles about nationalities: It may be fascinating for you, but it isn't for anybody else.

EYGirl
16th Feb 2009, 15:45
What do you guys think about which are the busiest routes and which are the empty ones (or almost dead ones)...?
I have the feeling that all the east-bound destination are still a good business for EK while the westbound flights to Europe are quite empty.

It is a bit ice how quiet looks the SZR these day!

exEYGirl.-

Ace McCloud
17th Feb 2009, 07:22
Flights to South Asia (DAC, BKK, CGK, CMB, SIN, India, Pakistan) are quite busy. Load factors on flights to/from Africa are also not too bad. Flights to SYD, PER and MEL are also doing ok. Trans - Tasman (between Australia and New Zealand) flights are also still busy. Flights to MAN, BHX and London are also busy as fares have been reduced to destinations in India and Pakistan so people are taking up the special offer. EK is fairing better than many other airlines. There are some routes where loads have fallen drastically - KUL, GLA and NCL I think.

777w
17th Feb 2009, 07:57
Whew !!! Another FULL flight for me....seems like loads are picking up again :) ...Has anyone attended the "Business Meeting" ?

Ace McCloud
18th Feb 2009, 11:52
It is worth going to the meeting as you get a clear picture of where the company stands in terms of its financial position. You also are informed of what various departments are doing to help prop up revenues and reduce costs. Rumours are also clarified and this helps to reduce the uncertainty (eg: EK has not been sold to anyone, there are no plans to defer aircraft deliveries, A380s have not been sold/leased to anyone, only one new route opening this year- DUR, unpaid leave is not going to be offered for the moment, new uniform will be rolled out across the company very soon, no redundancies in the pipeline). As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, EK is in much better shape than many airlines. It is important for everyone to be thankful that we have a job and we must do all we can to keep the airline robust during this difficult period.

pinkylicious
18th Feb 2009, 18:10
I always knew that EK is financially well off than most airlines, but can anyone answer as to why recruitment has stopped and all the new EK joiners were sent emails saying their offer of employment has been withdrawn? ( I am one of the withdrawn people)
I mean, they do say that we will be re-contacted as soon as their course start dates are confirmed but will EK keep true to their word?

We are all disappointed about what has happend as we had all been waiting for Final Approvals after submitting medicals...

Even after all this, I Believe in Emirates and makes me want to have this oppurtunity of joining EK more than ever!

Ace McCloud
18th Feb 2009, 18:53
I feel for you Pinkylicious. You and many other people who wanted to join EK must be extremely disappointed after receiving the dreaded letter. Even though EK is financially much better off than many other airlines that does not mean that EK has not been affected by the economic crisis. Revenues have fallen by a large margin - the airline is not making as much money as it used to. Therefore, economics dictates that the airline must cut it's costs to balance it's books. Unfortunately, this means that recruitment has had to be stopped for the moment amongst other measures. Hopefully, things will improve and then the company will be able to hire more people. Wishing you and all the people out there who wanted to join all the very best of luck. I hope that things improve for you all.

Ace McCloud
23rd Feb 2009, 11:30
Has anyone received any information with regard to their UAE ID card application status? I sent my application over three months ago and have not yet received a reference number. The ID authority could be swamped with a lot of applications.

Leito
23rd Feb 2009, 12:26
I submited everything in mid November and got the number 1st of Feb, I'm still waiting for the other message where it ask me to go for the finger print and the picture :}

Leito
24th Feb 2009, 12:14
Hey guys, don't forget to check the portal and book yourself a day to fit the new uniform. :ok:

European Crew
25th Feb 2009, 14:21
Hey guys!

Do not forget to open your Duty Free carts.

As there is a JP CCM staying with a pad and journal and is writing down who opened DF and how much sale has been made. If you did not open ur DF or ( I've heard!) even OPENED but DID not sell anything they will call you from the office to ask you 'what's going on dude'

Now, for some lazy a**es - guys we really have to be happy that we all have jobs. And stop this bull**it arguments about who's country has better unions, unemployment pay etc - wait and see, this crisis is only beginning in the world and one day your ( our) developed countries will have budget deficit that there will be no money left for all. Your country tomorrow can be in deep sh***t, and what will only matter is what kind of person you have developed of yourself. Related to our job , it is not fare for some dudes to go and check call bells and wipe pax a**es while some will just stay and chat in the galley. DO NOT TOLERATE SECOND CLASS BEHAVIOUR from LAZY bitches and dudes.

Lets all be stronger and friendlier to each other.
And apprciate these fantastic moments. If things go better - we will have what to remember and we will have great friends.If things go worse and we will all be fired - at least we will all have each other. When you have lost all your money, what will matter how many people can borrow you money...:) So ask yourself a question - for how many people am I the best friend for? And you know your development area.

Lets pray for the best outcome, guys.

Letsfly
25th Feb 2009, 20:25
Ab inition classes are still being trained. There are classes going through in service for the whole of next month

bkkfly
26th Feb 2009, 14:46
European crew..the discussion on nationalities was started in a post a week back when someone decided to write in with their opinion that a certain nationality from down south and to the left of N.Z is lazy, demotivated and has a bad attitude compared to other crew who take the job so much more 'seriously'.

All subsequent posts relating to that post have been in defense. Some posts were deleted by the moderator which is odd as given this is an EK crew discussion threaD and the topics are pertinant to our every day work.

However, for u to come across all vigilanti saying that we must refuse to work with lazy ass** crew and not tolerate this and that behaviour I say to you.....Chill-out!!!. Like, come on man, who appointed you as the God of cabin crew? Are you so objective that you can determine who is lazy and what should be tolerated and what should'nt be?If so you would be an SFS and not posting here. Its like after the business briefing your on a self appointed mission to save EK in the face of global recession....No one needs or wants another Grade II MR/MRS supercrew cos they themselves are pains in the a*se...Dude, it's not part of your job discription to judge other crews performance. (Sorry, some nationalities do like to work according to what is actually included in the job description)

THe attitude should be to do your job to the best of your abilty and MYOB unless ur SFS and if there are crew (regardless of nationality) not working as they should e.g staying down back in the galley etc then sooner or later they will be identified by the SFS. Thats what the SFS is for...not you/not other crew. Leave it that.:= The only thing I agree with is lets be friendlier with each other but if we are at the point were we need to remind each other of that then thats where the problem is and lazy ass crew are secondary.:rolleyes:

European Crew this isn't an attack on you but the attitute where you start to see other crew as lazy or second rate is dangerous and pisses me off. All crew have CCPCM's done on them so along with all the nationality bull s** which is previlant in EK at the moment lets not start he / she /they are lazy crap.

zerozol
28th Feb 2009, 18:24
European crew didn't said: "refuse work with lazy crew!" - but said : do not tolerate lazy ppl. BIG difference.

European crew didn't mentioned nationalities of cabin crew, only in general - concerning unions and economic issues. far from an offense on different nationalities; please don't restart debate over nationalities, it seems to be over.

What about team work? i mean, if you see someone of the same rang as you, doing something against policies or not doing things according policies - it's a must in a team environment to speak with her/him. of course, politely and seeking for the solution.
am i wrong?... if i'm wrong, then what are group discussions and psycho-tests monitoring teamwork-ability for?...

off, but a must:

ps.: your attitude of considering some pprune-ers as people from "developing countries" (meaning "don't talk to developed ones") and more precisely "dudes from the slums of Sao Paulo" is quite annoying, and according to your words, "pisses me off". especially if you mention "bordering racism" if someone cites nationalities' stereotypes and experiences of working with them. (?)

if nobody said until this time, i will: i really suppose that there is time to look inside of your soul and re-think your style of approaching different ideas from yours.

on

if you have problems with European Crew's opinion, say it point-to-point, with your detailed denials.

Ace McCloud
28th Feb 2009, 18:51
Hey guys....

I have read the posts regarding nationality issues with a sense of incredulity and irritation. To all those who are involved with this petty debate I have one thing to say - STOP! It is pathetic and a sheer waste of time! Focus on your work on board and please keep in mind how lucky you are to have a job during this difficult time. Inspire your colleagues.

777w
28th Feb 2009, 21:04
Guys...GROW UP!!!!! All of us knew that Emirates hires Nationalities from all over the world...so if u have a problem ...no matter which country you hail from...QUIT!!!! Union or No Union...there can be a thousand arguments to present and dfeend each person's case ....but it will never result in a solution. If you have a problem with a fellow crew member ...just try to sit down and talk to them...and if it still doesn't work...then you have seniors onboard who know and can address the issue...so BURY the hatchet and lets focus on something a lil more productive!

janneha
28th Feb 2009, 21:34
Don't mean to add fuel to fire but i expressed how boring bkkfly's liittle patriotic speech was and just put in a little :zzz: sign to express those opinions. Then, the moderator or someone else deleted it!!!

I think that is really unfair considering that bkkfly actually said " Maybe EK got you out of your slum back in Brasil" which is really insulting!!! and that has been left on the forum.

hmmmm :hmm:.........moderator i'll buy you a pint if you dont delete this comment :O

TightSlot
1st Mar 2009, 11:23
Grow up please everybody - this petty squabbling is now becoming irritating

zerozol
1st Mar 2009, 14:54
777w,

totally agree with you considering the "sit down with them and talk to them"-philosophy!
that's what i was talking about - that's team work and inspiring team environment.
about what you said about resigning if someone faces a problem: not a good solution. i understand why you said it, but still: searching for a resolution is the first way when facing a problem, not escaping.

and the steps you wrote are really sympathic: first to talk to the person, then, if it doesn't works, talk to someone of higher rang.

janneha,

agree with you. and me too, together with a lot of you all, want to finish this issue.

i deeply believe if, theoretically, someone cries out against mentioning experiences with different nationalities, so this someone doesn't have right to write such insulting things, judging others in their personality!

that's what i think about "growing up" and to be a grown-up, responsible person.

and i'm open to finish the debate over nationalities and slums...

peace out!

Little_Red_Hat
3rd Mar 2009, 02:51
I think the point of the comment re: slums is that often, people who come from a 'poorer' background are willing to put up with more to stay in a job they like, rather than going home at the first sign of trouble or that they don't like their work. If you're used to being in a country where the working conditions are good, then those people are possibly more likely to go home sooner because they have something better to go back to.

If your family are depending on you or if you don't like conditions where you came from, of course you want to work hard & put up with a few hassles to stay where you are. Don't get it mixed up with having a go at where you are from.

Anyway can we please get back to crew matters?? Have any of you been told you're going to be trained for the A380, or is it still on a voluntary basis? How are things going with the fleet, there were a few maintenance issues over the last few months, is it getting better?

zerozol
3rd Mar 2009, 10:22
Little red hat,

agree with you, totally! but the poorer background (even if it's true that these workers/wannabees are poorer than you or me or anybody - who knows?) doesn't mean that somebody can judge them as "slumdogs" - just to be up to date with the movie. :)

and i like to add to your comment that people coming from developed countries are likely to forget the fact that they are going to work in a different kind of world, and they forget to research and get accurate information about working conditions (i.e. no unions etc.), then start complaining.
but that's another story about relativist or absolutist point of view (no specific background/country for these) - i don't want to start a debate over deep philosophy. :)

on: as far as i know, new joiners for the trainings beginning in these days are to be trained to next arriving A380's.

z

Letsfly
9th Mar 2009, 15:00
Ab intio classes for 380 will be starting from next month. Only a couple more classes coming through for normal fleet ab initio then it will be quiet for a while

European Crew
9th Mar 2009, 19:44
Has anyone had NIL duty free sales recently? Any feedback on what u were asked about later pls?

777w
10th Mar 2009, 10:38
Has anyone had NIL duty free sales recently? Any feedback on what u were asked about later pls?

There is a Cabin Crew manager or a Duty Free officer always present at the duty free sign out area asking crew if they have sold any duty free products or not!!! If not, then they ask you for your staff no. and you should then expect a call from your CCM who inturn will try and FIGURE out why no duty free was sold ??????

Ace McCloud
12th Mar 2009, 11:17
Hi guys. Is there any truth to the rumour that unpaid leave is going to be offered from April?

European Crew
12th Mar 2009, 19:11
On crew portal Rumor Buster has just been released, on 10th and 12th some nice questions answered by KEVIN :D

CCM also sent a circular recently saying that the option for an unpaid leave is so far NOT considered.

ashlea
13th Mar 2009, 09:12
Does that mean to say that currently all crew annual leave is paid..??

chiquidejesus
13th Mar 2009, 16:15
YES. Unpaid leave would be the last option of the management, if worst comes to worst. And it would probably be voluntary anyways.

ashlea
14th Mar 2009, 09:21
With Etihad all leave is unpaid? :confused:

Ace McCloud
14th Mar 2009, 23:11
News on the net indicates that EK is in talks with Airbus over the deferral of some A380 aircraft. Furthermore, production problems at Airbus will lead to delay - of a few months - in the delivery of the A380's this year.
Any truth to the rumour about the A380 being withdrawn from the JFK sector?

ashlea
15th Mar 2009, 10:49
Airbus ?Intensively? Addressing ?Problems? With Emirates? A380s - Bloomberg.com (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601100&sid=anvSHFEbhnaE&refer=germany)

777w
16th Mar 2009, 13:02
With 17 aircraft deliveries this year including the 777 freighter ..We might delay the delivery of the A380 since the only new ROUTE this year will be DURBAN (as of now!!!) .

Also the fact that ICN will be served sometime in the near future by the 380..they will finally find maximum utilisation for the 380. As for the 380 being off the JFK route that seems highly probable because the 777 has better payload on ULR missions than the 380.

However, keep in mind that the Magazine that covered this story, Der Speigel , is an anti-airbus magazine. If you read any of their articles you would find a lot of Airbus bashing. It might be true that EK sent a 42 page slideshow to Airbus with regards to the 380 but you have to keep in mind that EK is their Biggest A380 customer and just like the way Pan Am worked with Boeing on the early problems with regards to the 747 , EK is doing the same ! So in my opinion we MIGHT DELAY but we will definately not CANCEL the 380 !

sharpclassic
16th Mar 2009, 16:54
can someone please post up the latest rumour buster and answers please? cannot log onto portal at the mo :\

Gone U/S
17th Mar 2009, 02:46
So the rumour mill is in overdrive again

It seems come the 01 June 2009 the following changes will take place with regards to US/Canada operations ....

EK201 DXB-JFK will return to 777-300

EK241 DXB-YYZ will have a capacity upgrade to A380

Mod Edit - Dead Link

easynick
18th Mar 2009, 09:18
it's not a roumer, Tim Clarke announced it. see link below

Emirates Moves NY A380s To Toronto, Bangkok | AVIATION WEEK (http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=comm&id=news/SHIFT031609.xml)

:ok::ok::ok:

Ace McCloud
18th Mar 2009, 17:38
According to reports in South Africa, 500kg of ephedrine was found in the cargo hold of EK 761 on Tuesday. How did this consignment get past security in DXB?!!

European Crew
20th Mar 2009, 03:16
Waw, :D JNB! Luckily it was ephedrine not nitroglycerin and I wasn't onboard :)

777w
20th Mar 2009, 08:51
As per an E-Mail all crew had received, we were to get our Rosters on the 26th of every month but mine is already out!!!! Does this mean that Scheduling will now Manually Change flights on my roster by the 26th or is this my Final Roster for next month????

magicmorris
22nd Mar 2009, 06:17
If you check the lastest rumour buster posted on the 19th! The change in roster publication was somthing to do with system problems and was only meant to be for one month! So I guess the problems are now corrected and we have returned to normal roster publication.....

Ace McCloud
22nd Mar 2009, 10:57
Happy to hear that all pax and crew are safe after the tail strike incident in MEL. Apparently smoke filled the cabin while the aircraft was dumping fuel. Thankfully. this serious situation did not claim any lives.

Ace McCloud
23rd Mar 2009, 04:30
Sheesh...this a bad week for the airline. First the tail strike in MEL and now a bomb threat on board EK 011. Thankfully, everyone disembarked safely.

JCharliex
23rd Mar 2009, 15:26
Can anyone pls tell me where I can purchase a hair "donut" to make my hair into a bun????:)

ensiferum23
23rd Mar 2009, 22:25
So, how come no one here has mentioned that the person responsible for the bomb hoax on board on board the EK flight to LGW was an Australian member of the cabin crew. :eek:

pepito.perez
24th Mar 2009, 00:12
It's hard to believe, is it really true?

Australian arrested over London bomb hoax at Gatwick Airport | Herald Sun (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25233530-663,00.html)

bkkfly
24th Mar 2009, 13:12
What a silly boy.....I wonder what possesed him to want to do that?
EK stress-out mental break down or Matty just wanted to spend more time with his bf?:bored: Anyone who had flown with Matt knew he had a bit of an "L" on his forehead.

Usual EK info block out here but check out the oz news papers.

Ace McCloud
24th Mar 2009, 16:40
Completely agree with your sentiments melly moo. What in the world was this guy thinking?!!! He has ruined his life now through his insane behaviour.

gadgetman
24th Mar 2009, 18:18
The guy has been arrested, not yet convicted. It doesn't look good, but maybe you could pause for a second before turning on your fellow crew like that.

TERRIER two
24th Mar 2009, 20:17
Actually an arrest is not indicative of definitive guilt. There is the little matter of a trial and verdict first.

mellymoo
24th Mar 2009, 20:48
True, but they must have had a good reason to do it, and secondly who leaked the crew members name?? They havent leaked the flight decks names for the MEL incident??

bkkfly
24th Mar 2009, 21:07
MellyMoo, the crew members name wasn't "leaked". It has now publicly been released in the press (refer to the Melbourne Herald Sun link above or TheAge.com). As the guy has been arrested by the UK police and isn't a minor it is perfectly legal to release the name. A suspects name is only withheld if they are a minor i.e less that 18yrs old.

According to the report he was refused bail and has been remanded (I guess people will be heading to accom as room available at 21st!!!)

However, all aside Terrier Two has a point. Before we turn on him too much it may be worth considering the possibility that he was ill or affected in some way. People under severe stress, depression etc can do weird things. I really hope thats the case and he didn't do it just for a lark or whatever. If so, he has really caused himself some problems as Melly points out.

bkkfly
24th Mar 2009, 21:16
It appears he was ill and on medication....I take back what I said in my earlier post now. I hope he gets the treatment he needs and our sympathies should be with him.

Steward charged over bomb hoax | theage.com.au (http://www.theage.com.au/national/steward-charged-over-bomb-hoax-20090324-98y8.html)

gadgetman
24th Mar 2009, 22:29
Mellymoo - quite right, not only has he been convicted by a daily newspaper, but being arrested is proof enough of his guilt, why even bother with his trial? Cardinal Richelieu would have been so proud.

gadgetman
24th Mar 2009, 23:20
Not slating the guy? You opening line was to hurl abuse at him.

What a knob!!

The media printing his name doesn't automatically make him guilty, no matter how much Rupert Murdoch might wish it were true.

Habeas Corpus hasn't been completely outdated yet.

bkkfly
25th Mar 2009, 09:26
If it is determined that the guy was mentally ill or whatever he will not be tried. Instead, the case will be dismissed and (hopefully) he wont even get a criminal record. The legal term is "diminished responsibility" i.e at the time he wasn't responsible for his actions owing to his condition.

No one on the forum should be abusing him, calling him a Knob or whatever. He is sick, mental illness is no different to someone with another type of disease.

Juzz51
25th Mar 2009, 16:04
Anybody else heard about this? Dubai's new behaviour guidelines | Travel News | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,28318,25198762-5014090,00.html?from=mostpop)

Could be interesting...I wonder if they'll really enforce it, or if they'll only enforce it for extreme cases. Fines or detention for holding hands in public, I'm all for cultural awareness, but this is a bit much when they rely on expats so much.

flapsforty
26th Mar 2009, 22:31
People, stop discussing pre-flight and in-flight security checks in minute detail here.

For crying out loud, switch on what passes for your brains.

777w
27th Mar 2009, 22:19
Guys the new PA is out....check it out at YouTube - Flight Attendant doing raps!! (complete ed.) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivjybzdXVmI)

northern-light
30th Mar 2009, 14:06
Guys, for those of you wanting unpaid leave, check your emails and the portal! Applications must be received by the 8th of April, so hurry up for those of you who want it!

Sta_Power
31st Mar 2009, 12:26
Hello everyone!

With so much of discussion regarding nationalization and emaratization that is currently sweeping the UAE, does anyone know many Emarati crew are currently with EK? it would be good to know as i havent heard of many on board.

Happy & safe flights :ok:

HighHeeled-FA
31st Mar 2009, 12:33
An actually emirati born cabin crew? Do they exist?

You are right not many. A lot obviousy that may have emirati blood in them from generations before but a lot do come from the neighbouring countries. A few europeans, mainly from the UK, don't think I've met any americans yet. Loads of filipina's who are such good fun and very sociable - and bloody hard workers. Thais and hong kong crew.

Why do you ask?

SweetChariotXV
31st Mar 2009, 13:01
One of my best friends is Emirati born and bred cabin crew for EK. One of the craziest guys I know too... if there is a party, and he is there, he'll be the life it.

I worked as c/crew for EK for 5 yrs, lots of Koreans, and Asians in general, Aussies, South Africans, Europeans, worked with a couple of Americans, more Canadians though. Oh yeh, lots of Lebanese. Definately not so many pure Emirati crew. Although they do get a monetary bonus on top of basic pay for being local as an incentive.

Heard today though they are offering 6months unpaid leave for cabin crew at EK. Things not as rosy as are being made out over in the sand pit it seems.

HighHeeled-FA
31st Mar 2009, 13:08
I heard that to. I know a few who would want to take that option of a sabattical. Perhaps do a a few months back in old blighty when the charters start hiring for summer! I don't think so somehow!

Sta_Power
31st Mar 2009, 13:20
6 month unpaid leave?! OUCH...thats gonna hurt....but EK will bounce back (Hopefully)! :ok:

HH-FA - I was asking because I have heard that EK are trying their level best to attract locals even in the current situation hence the thread...:)

EK promises to be multi-cultural airline & it would be nice to have Emaratis on board...:Despecially if they are as outgoing as SweetChariotXV's pal...

Cheers!

Ace McCloud
2nd Apr 2009, 05:13
EK plans to start a thrice weekely service to Luanda as from August 2009 - subject to government approval. An Airbus A330-200 will be used initially.

777w
2nd Apr 2009, 10:57
As per 01APR09 Emirates inventory display, it'll be launching 3 weekly service on the Dubai - Luanda service from 04AUG09. Service to the Angolan capital is operated by A330-200

EK791 DXB1050 - 1550LAD 332 247
EK792 LAD1800 - 0500+1DXB 332 247

Considering its overtaken Nigeria in Oil Production ....its about time for us to get our hands into this Market....besides...the trend around these Countries for Duty Free is Fantastic!!!!

In other news...any views on the Employee Satisfaction Letter?

Ace McCloud
2nd Apr 2009, 14:22
The cash allowance has been withdrawn. You are entitled to breakfast, lunch and dinner at the hotel restaurant. Room service meals can be availed from options on the airline menu.

Ali_Xander
10th Apr 2009, 19:34
It seems we have gone up in the rankings of the Top 10 Airlines in the World as voted by the public in this years Skytrax.

""""According to survey findings by Skytrax, the specialist research advisors to the air transport industry, three Middle East carriers - Emirates, Etihad Airways and Qatar Airways - have ranked higher in the 2009 list of top 10 airlines in the world, compared to a year earlier. Emirates came fifth, up from the ninth spot the airline occupied for the last two years. Etihad Airways moved up three notches to the seventh position this year, having made a fresh entry in the top 10 list last year. Qatar Airways, however, emerged the winner in the Middle East having earned the title for the 'Best Middle East Airline', as well as bagging the award for 'Best Economy Class'.""""

The Top 5 are: 1) Cathay Pacific 2) Singapore Airlines 3) Asiana Airlines 4) Qatar Airways 5) Emirates

Ok, so we only made it to the top 5, that is still better than 9th. Consolation prize is that for the 4th consecutive year running, we have won the Best Airline Inflight Entertainment Award :D:D

space lady
15th Apr 2009, 06:02
hi there

most of the girls buy their donut in the crewshop...tho they normally dont have sizes or dark coloured donuts to go with darker hair shades.if you have friends doing the uk flights,you can ask them to get you one from boots -they used to cost 5 pounds ish when i bought mine 5 years ago. they also have a couple of variations to the donut.:hmm:

mytcrew
21st Apr 2009, 12:12
try beauty connection on sheikh zayed, they have dark ones and different sizes:)

Gone U/S
21st Apr 2009, 15:09
Has anyone else read on the portal that they are looking forward to introducing the new uniform on the 7th June .... um ... what happened to the launch being the 7th May.
Don't tell me that they have changed their mind again!
Maybe they are still trying to work out how the french roll hairdo is going to be worn with the new uniform! Im guessing they must have put together several management committees to find a solution to this problem.
Also ...
Good to see that Rumour Buster is working well for the company considering the information they provide to crew is only valid for the minute that the CCM decides to press the send button and after that time anything can change. :D
Maybe they should just let us post rumours and news on PPrune. At least then, the company will never look bad for providing news to the crew and then changing their mind 2 weeks later!
In other news, I wouldnt be surprised to see us go down the road of EY in the laundering department after the new uniform is launched (ie. self laundering). After all, look how the response to the decision that crew needed new PJ's as part of the new corporate look was worded (Rumour Busters 17 April) ... interesting times continue in the sandpit.
Finally ... anyone find out whether they were successful in taking unpaid leave??

bkkfly
24th Apr 2009, 11:57
Gone U/S :D good post. First time there has been a relevant post on here in a while! How many hair donut issues can crew post about?!

Another thing EK is re-negotiating with hotels is the layover allowances...I can tell you LAGOS is just the start of the way things will go. Carefully read the post on the HKG allowance in the latest rumour busters, Read between the lines and it says it all.

I just love how they say in R.Busters the answer is only valid on the day of answering or something to that affect.....Reminds me of the old saying: treat 'em like monkeys you going to get ......"

cielazur
25th Apr 2009, 22:45
The preliminary report on the near-crash in Melbourne has been released - pilot fatigue & lack on union could be major factors!

Pilot of Emirates flight that nearly crashed at Melbourne Airport was sleep-deprived | Travel News | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,28318,25387505-5014090,00.html)

parvatti
26th Apr 2009, 05:03
Sort of a misleading headline, isn't it?

Thanks for the link. :^)

coffindodger
26th Apr 2009, 07:52
More bad press for EK at the moment.
Some say it never rains, but it pours!!!!

AN Australian flight attendant accused of a bomb hoax on a London-bound plane from Dubai has been committed for trial in a UK court

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/...014090,00.html

cielazur
26th Apr 2009, 12:13
Mmmm... which part of it was misleading?

parvatti
26th Apr 2009, 19:03
Cielazur, I thought "THE pilot of the Emirates flight..." was misleading because there were four pilots, with two operating.

As well, I thought the journalist presented some pretty hard data (i.e., the investigation is looking at a typing error, cockpit distractions, CRM... and she names the inquiry head) but that she didn't have much more than hearsay about the pilot's level of sleep deprivation (only that a source said he "barely" slept and was "almost" at his threshold for hours - vague stuff).

Might have just been the way I was reading it, but I wondered why the headline was so blunt when the text of the article says the error "couldn't be committed by one person alone," and that "a range of things comes together," and then goes on to dissect the corporate culture. AND that the headline said "WAS sleep-deprived" instead of "may have been sleep-deprived." After all, the pilots' mental states can't be known by the journalist, and the initial report has not been published yet.

(Not saying I don't imagine her theory could be correct. I don't know anybody who was involved. I know nothing!)

Juzz51
27th Apr 2009, 14:32
Well, it's official, no increase on the base salary this year. Can't say I didn't see it coming, but still pretty damn disappointing. The question is, once we get past the economic struggles, will we get the standard 3% increase on base next time, or will they give us more to make up for this? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was in our contracts that we get a minimum 3% increase on base salary each year and minimum two weeks profit share? Not that our contracts really mean anything in this part of the world...

Ace McCloud
27th Apr 2009, 17:48
Anybody know if the airline is incorporating some special measures for the flights to the USA due to the flu outbreak?

Mari
28th Apr 2009, 11:56
They might measure the body temperature of passengers and crew. (I heard that there are these kind of gates in use in Japan.)

magicmorris
29th Apr 2009, 10:37
There is an update on the Portal, added today about the flu outbreak.... Nothing too special!

777w
30th Apr 2009, 09:55
The first pic of the 737-800 of Fly Dubai can now be viewed through this link : : http://www.airliners.net/photo/Flydubai/Boeing-737-86Q/1519060/L/ (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Flydubai/Boeing-737-86Q/1519060/L/)

Not a bad looking Livery.

In other news...can someone plz explain to me if we have a long trip that goes into the next roster ..do we have to wait for the following months roster to be published before we can swap away the flight or is it still legal to swap a long flight before the 10th of the existing month ?
Merci!

Leito
30th Apr 2009, 10:40
There is no harm doing the swap, bit I guess it won't be accepted until the new roster comes out because no one knows what wil happen with the days off, sometimes that its taken in consideration when a swap is made, I believe that the status will be "on hold", I'm not 100% sure about it but when the swap takes part of the following roster you won't know till the new roster is published.

Best of luck !!! :ok:

777w
1st May 2009, 10:43
Thanks Leito !

EK Fan
7th May 2009, 16:57
Hey guys I know that EK is rolling out their new cabin crew uniforms (which I think look really smart, sleek update for the girls, great revamp for the boys) on June 7, but I had a quick question.

Currently you can differentiate pursers and normal crew by the color of their suit, and for guys its the color of their pants (dark blue instead of khaki) - how can you tell the purser apart from the rest of the crew in the new uniforms?
Saw for girls its the same, but now that all guys wear the dark pinstripe suit, how do you tell who's the purser? Is it the pattern on their ties? Thanks!

northern-light
7th May 2009, 18:37
The difference is that Pursers don't have the red lining around the collar of the waistcoat, and obviously their name tag still says Flight Purser...
There may be other differences, but thats the only one i know of at the moment!

Ali_Xander
8th May 2009, 15:53
So, it seems (from reading the papers in Mauritius) that Emirates as of June 09 will be increasing flights to the island from 7 a week to 9 flights a week. Therefore on some days, two flights will be operating instead of the one as we already fly there once daily. I wonder what will happen with the layover? Can't wait though! :ok:

Ace McCloud
11th May 2009, 21:33
Good to hear that the airline is increasing flights to various destinations. Despite the difficult economic climate, EK is proving to be resilient. MRU has always been a popular flight amongst the travelling public. Flights to Luanda, Angola will also begin during the summer - in August.

777w
14th May 2009, 13:19
Rumour has it that we will be sending a 2 - Class A380 to Birmingham in the near future ! As the new International Pier at BHX should be complete soon , I wonder is it in conjuction with that or is it been our plan for a while ?
Also , look out for a new Bkk flight by the end of this year , and no it'll not be on the A380 but our good ol' B777-300ER!

EK Fan
14th May 2009, 16:47
I heard that the A380 was being sent to BHX in conjunction with the new EK lounge opening and the airport's 70th anniversary, rather than a regular scheduled flight, which I assume will stay at 2x daily B777-300?

Juzz51
15th May 2009, 05:08
4th BKK flight? Anymore information on this one or just pure speculation? :eek:

passy777
17th May 2009, 09:50
Watching the horse racing on telly at the weekend, EK were sponsoring some of the races at Newbury and I noticed that when the trophies were presented to the connections of the winners, there were many girls adorned in EK cabin Crew uniforms assisting with the presentations.

I was wondering if they were actual EK cabin crew or non CC with EK uniforms?

If they were actually Emirates employees, how were they selected to perform their duties at the racecouse (internal competitions, favourable appraisals etc?) and (hopefully) did they get the opportunity to enjoy the hospitality that was undoubtedly on offer?

I apologise if this question has been previously answered, however a search did not provide any answers.

magicmorris
19th May 2009, 09:47
The Emirates Crew you see at any event are Cabin Crew and have to apply or be nominated to take part in Business Promotions...

EK Fan
20th May 2009, 18:24
Given that the crew you see in the Emirates promotional events are actual cabin crew, how about those featured in the print and video advertisements around the world? Or in another Emirates material, like the "Welcome Aboard" screen on the IFE, or the starting page for the ICE system (that lady has been plastered everywhere!), or that huge billboard in T3 that says "Welcome to our New Home"?

Leito
21st May 2009, 11:45
All cabin crew themselves, a friend of mine is in the safety demo, of course that you also see children there, they are family members of crew or EK staff.

Gone U/S
2nd Jun 2009, 20:40
Looks like some of us crew had a brillant end to their reserve in the month of May.

Emirates as the official parter airline of FIFA soccer chartered a 777-200LR for over 200 FIFA officials from Dubai to the BAHAMAS .... yes that's right .... the BAHAMAS!! EK5201 on 31 May

Looks like the lucky crew that operated this flight get 84 HOURS in the BAHAMAS!! .... yes that's right ... 4 days!!

But for all of us here slaving away on another night time BLR or BOM turnaround flight, please remember not to open the bottle of wines and juices unless requested by the customer, and once the flight is over remember to restow those unused giveaway items .... every dirham counts!

Ali_Xander
2nd Jun 2009, 20:46
Well said housemate :)

I think we should also add that it is very ironic how some of those lucky few who were sent on this 84-hour holiday had so many "Absents" on their roster and yet still be considered for such a prestigious trip. :D

Leito
3rd Jun 2009, 09:31
I guess that you just need to know the RIGHT PEOPLE to go to the RIGHT PLACES !!! :confused:

Amest
2nd Aug 2009, 11:09
Hello all,
Is it true that cabin crew from the Etihad Airlines recieved a 15% salary increase??
:confused:

Amest
3rd Aug 2009, 11:19
No one from Etihad Airways??!! Strange!

AINI
6th Aug 2009, 15:06
where did you get this info from?? There has been no salary increase for EY cabin crew
last salary increase was in January when new pay scheme came into effect. No salary increasy in the near future

Ace McCloud
10th Aug 2009, 18:43
Hey guys! Where have you all disappereared to? Everyone taken unpaid leave? No news from anyone in a while. Anyone been to the latest business forum? Any interesting news? Heard a rumour that some Grade 2 crew got sacked after a flight to JNB. Anyone else who has heard about this?

baob2oba
10th Aug 2009, 19:19
Did you mean " everyone taken unpaid leave and busy not coming back " ?

That's what they were expecting, weren't they ?...

Nothing new around, same ol' rumors, same ol' faces, same ol' situation.

:oh:

Maestro B777
11th Aug 2009, 20:51
Whatever you may hear can only be gossip, most the crew are depressed, treated like maids and for sure not a good company to work for since the latest way to cull the amount of crew is to fire them for any reason, rather than identifying their lack of motivation or giving them unpaid leave like EK, I highly recommend EK which is a crew friendly company.

tbaylx
11th Aug 2009, 21:51
You do have to be kidding?? EK a crew friendly company? Perhaps you haven't been paying attention for the last 8 months or so.....

AINI
12th Aug 2009, 04:28
Crew at EY are not treating like maids. Yes the rules here are strict...offloading from the flights for any reason (reporting late,or without a valid document) and many other things. But this is something crew have to do. They just have to adapt to the rules here. Okay not everything here is perfect like anywhere else. At least they have a job and still crew don't really appreciate what they have. Accomodation is good, money as well. For the job they do with sometimes lots of days off they are lucky to work for EY these days with this situation in the world

I-said_no
12th Aug 2009, 12:09
AINI. You have not had the pleasure of working for one of Europes national carriers. If you compared the working and employee conditions of EK and others in the middle east, they would seem like beeing treated as maids.

On the other hand unless you are proffessional in the middle east you are treated like a second class citizen.

I have met crew who work for middle eastern carriers all over the world. A lot of them are amazing people who are young and want a bit of fun, which plays into the companies hand. As these individuals do not see it as a career unlike the crew who work for, LH,BA,AF,KLM etc.

Happy flying

ashlea
12th Aug 2009, 12:35
I think EY gives us great benefits! I haven't worked for a Western carrier yet but you can't ignore the fact that all the negative news stories/articles about the F/As working for them (especially American carriers). I wouldn't be surprised to hear that EY crew are more secure in their job that any other airline (just as long as they are competent and on-time, heh). EY F/As were recently given the opportunity to take unpaid leave during a limited period, but unlike other airlines it was strictly OPTIONAL and not forced upon them.

As these individuals do not see it as a career unlike the crew who work for, LH,BA,AF,KLM etc.I used to think exactly that, particularly as the average age of an F/A in a Middle Eastern or Gulf-based airline is typically much younger than the norm; there is no retirement package etc. But the longer I fly the more crew I meet that DO see EY as a valid career full of opportunity (not so much as cabin manager, but in management and training etc).

As for the rules being 'strict', it all depends on how you look at it. We will be offloaded from a flight if we should up to a briefing 10 minutes late, but isn't that a valid rule? When essentially everything is provided for us for free (accommodation, transport to and from work, next-day drycleaning) with a tax-free salary, I am often baffled at how the crew bitch endlessly about the conditions and the company culture. I know we have plenty of shi**y sectors and I don't like them anymore than the nextperson but looking at the big picture.. is it really *that* terrible? ;)

Ali_Xander
13th Aug 2009, 13:42
Even at EK, yes the last eight months or so has been very difficult, what with having excess crew who are unpaid leave and the remainder of us buckling down and working more hours than we are used to. But that can only be a good thing as we are lucky enough to be employed at the end of the day. Compare ourselves to the so called "privileged" European airlines, it does not take a genius to work out that we are in a far better situation. One glance at the press and you'll see the likes of BA looking for any reason to cut costs and slowly cutting away its cabin crew's terms and conditions. We have to be thankful that ours are still all here intact. So, yes, we work more sectors than most, we work hard but for every one person who hates their job, I can guarantee that there are atleast ten others out there who would jump at the chance to work for us. ;):D