View Full Version : ISLE OF MAN

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13

GnRdL
7th Nov 2011, 10:50
It seems that TCX has scheduled one flight to Alicante next Summer. I don't know if you have commented it before.

IOMspotter
17th Nov 2011, 06:54
Isle of Man Airport passenger numbers for last month were slightly under 1% down when compared with October 2010, breaking a run of six months when increases have been recorded. However, the small decrease of 575 passengers was very much as the Airport had predicted, as the previous October had been the strongest month for Airport passenger growth for the whole of 2010. In total, 63,093 passengers passed through the Airport last month, just 0.9% less than October last year.

Airport Director, Ann Reynolds confirmed that the October result has actually given some grounds for optimism although she is disappointed with the figures. "A year ago when we were predicting the passenger throughput for 2011, as with many businesses, it was impossible for us to foresee the flat nature of the UK economy throughout this year - and it is this that predominantly drives air travel to and from the Isle of Man," she said. "The result has been that throughout most of 2011, our traffic has been about 5% below that expected, but the most recent months have seen slight, but consistent, improvements. Thus, despite the slight decrease, I am very pleased that the October traffic has reached the level where it precisely matched our original predictions, however I know that the airlines were also hoping for more passengers."

The summer charter operations which concluded in October again injected a significant boost to the overall figure with a 39% increase for the month. Since May, almost 2,100 additional charter passengers have benefited from the wide choice of direct flights to the Mediterranean flown directly from the Island. The daily flights to Southampton and onwards to Brussels also helped to boost traffic. Traffic to and from Liverpool again increased by about 10% with both Flybe and easyJet notching up increases in passengers, however some of these additional passengers were likely to have been ferry passengers when bad weather prevented some of the island sailings. Manx2.com also had a good month with Belfast, Blackpool and Gloucester all seeing increases and every one of their five routes from the Island operating over 60% full. The Blue Islands Jersey service also recorded a 4% increase.

"Looking ahead, we recognise that this winter will be another tough one for our airlines, as the UK economy shows little sign of recovery," added Ann. "We have already received notification of some cutbacks in schedules over the winter period, but I'm delighted to say that all of our routes have remained intact, including the Flybe Southampton/Brussels link which is now operating over the winter season for the first time. This service, not only providing daily flights to the heart of Southern England, but a direct link through to the European capital is an important part of our network, and we hope that it will be well supported throughout the winter."

Departmental Member for Ports, David Collister, said he is in no doubt about the importance of maintaining the comprehensive air service network that the Island has built up, and is pleased to see the continuation of all of the Island's routes into 2012. "I am in no doubt about the fundamental importance of creating and retaining the best possible network of air services for the Island," he said. "Direct air services are the very lifeblood of our economy, and in particular our tourism industry and I am delighted that our airlines have continued to support and maintain the Island’s routes throughout the recent difficult few years. We will be working with them over the coming months and years to support and hopefully expand our 19 scheduled service routes."

IOMspotter
17th Nov 2011, 06:56
anyone want to give us the proper story rather than the ever optimistic one? What were the load factors that dont get a mention ?:sad:

Aero Mad
17th Nov 2011, 07:02
Ever optimistic? I don't think so:

this winter will be another tough one for our airlines, as the UK economy shows little sign of recovery

Regarding getting easyJet on LGW, I personally don't think it would be a good idea as frequency would go down and this is what business travellers like. Flybe provides a decent service on the route at usually decent prices - long may it continue to do so.

gg190
17th Nov 2011, 12:00
It's one aspect of modern day travel that could affect us all. Maybe there's a market for missed connection insurance?

Such cover does exist and can be provided by a number of insurers, but it is usually very restricted on the circumstances the insurer will pay out.

Travel insurance is barely profitable at the best of times, a few days of fog on the rock and the insurers could face a hefty bill.

It's a catch 22 situation restrict the cover provided or charge so much premium that it would not be worth buying the cover.

Capt. Horrendous
17th Nov 2011, 13:03
Give us a cat 2 runway and the disruption due fog/low cloud will be a tiny fraction of what it is now.

IOMspotter
17th Nov 2011, 13:53
"we hope that it will be well supported throughout the winter"

I know why shes saying this. SOU loads have been terrible lately - usually well less than half full and BRS is even worst - often less than 20 pax. SOU-BRU connection never get publicised much over here:uhoh:

Haven't a clue
17th Nov 2011, 16:05
Captain Horrendous I've no idea what's needed to achieve a Cat 2 runway, but it will require money. Although it would bring major benefits I doubt after the recent bad press over yet more spending by the airport management (baggage handing facility costing a staggering £3.5m) Tynwald would vote for it. Pity really.

RVF750
17th Nov 2011, 21:17
A CAT2 runway system would require a hell of a lot of rock, infill and money to start with- or the Castletown road will have to go as the runway would need extending at least 200m the other side of the road to accomodate the minimum runway length, and a full CAT3 lighting fit in the undershoot for 26.

They could always dig the hill out and make 21 the main runway but that would be impossible to justify with the money spent already.

It's only 3 or 4 days a year after all. That's what the boat is for isn't it?

Haven't a clue
18th Nov 2011, 11:21
Ah. Another £50m+ then.

Probably on the wish list of the airport director however "doing nothing isn't an option" threat won't work here, even if the number of murky days goes up. Not going to happen.

And I wouldn't rely too much on the boat at this time of year.....

virginblue
18th Nov 2011, 15:51
The IoM must be the only place on earth where the monthly traffic figures of the local airport are getting published as news almost as important as the first landing on the moon - and the ensuing discussion on the rock is almost as exciting as current debates in the Greek parliament about the Euro bailout.:p

Haven't a clue
18th Nov 2011, 16:51
virginblue I guess it is because we mere Manx taxpayers look on with ever increasing amazement at the cr*p spoken by the management in their commentary on the monthly figures.

Several years ago they produced a passenger number forecast to justify a huge spend on the terminal building extension. If they were right we should be seeing annual pax numbers over one million by now. Yes we have had the recession, but the numbers weren't growing anything like that forecast before the downturn. They reconstructed the apron area, some of it still the original wartime surface. Then they spent an unbelievable amount of money extending the island to provide "required" runway safety areas. That was the famous "doing nothing is not an option" reason. Yet we still haven't seen Jersey or say London City take similar action, and Jersey has a cliff at one end of their runway. So we taxpayers suspect (possibly wrongly) another con.

Having the right equipment at the airport at the time was the reason given to spend a further £3.5m on resurfacing taxiways, including several which had been withdrawn from use as not needed. Then they built a new control tower for about £6m. It looks nice, and the old one was 70 years old, but we mortals wonder why it had to be so impressive. Then there was the sudden requirement to replace the not that old radar; yes they needed Mode S, and yes, that cost a packet as well. And now they want another £3.5 mil to build a new shed for baggage handling; the scanners (all three of them - why 3) will cost just over half a mil, so what on earth costs the other 3 mil.

There are always good reasons given - some, such a Mode S and enhancements to screening are effectively imposed on them. But their PR sucks: they don't for example set out a road map of project spend which might forewarn the public, it just pops up in a Government vote. And they write the most amazing drivel to explain away why pax numbers are nowhere near those they promised. And if the numbers are good they are published quickly; if bad then they can come out pretty late.

I agree - we probably do overdo the comments. But we have our reasons.

Capt. Horrendous
18th Nov 2011, 17:38
D&T - I agree that the cost of cat 2 provision is now probably prohibitive - however, had it been a consideration at the time the extension was designed and the starter strips laid down, in the over all scheme of things, it might not have been. I'll let you figure it out, but an extra 37 metres would have made a lot of difference. Will explain next time I see you.

Forgetting Cat 2, it would actually just be nice to have a proper cat 1 runway lighting with a 550m RVR requirement like Jersey and Guernsey. That would 'just' take approach lights on gantries as far as I understand.

The minimum visibility required to commence an approach before the works was 700 metres - as we now have a WORSE approach lighting system than before, it is now 1000 metres. Even if you can legally make an approach, if the cloud is at or below 100 feet you aint getting in because there are no approach lights to be seen at decision altitude. I know, I've been there.

virginblue
18th Nov 2011, 18:14
virginblue I guess it is because we mere Manx taxpayers look on with ever increasing amazement at the cr*p spoken by the management in their commentary on the monthly figures.

I love Annie's talk. Isn't she the one who turned Black Forest Airport Lahr into a bustling international airport before she moved to the rock? :ok:She should not waste her time with the PR stuff, however, and hire a worthy deputy. Last thing I heard, this guy is looking for a job and he brings a lot of credentials to make the monthly comments even more entertaining :}:

New IOM spokesman (http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/images/07-minister.jpg)

Tinwald
21st Nov 2011, 05:24
Hereself is such a card, ain't she?

"The result has been that throughout most of 2011, our traffic has been about 5% below that expected - but don't let that stop me from building the biggest airport this side of alpha centauri."

You've got to admire her cajones, if she had any - or has she?:eek:

Ransman
14th Dec 2011, 19:19
Just a note to say a huge thanks to all the crews operating during this spell of high winds and bad weather, we've seen the boat's schedule decimated these past few days, but on the whole, the flights have been operating (within limits of course). The old Manx Airlines "lets make it happen" seems to live on! Cheers guys (and gals) Happy Christmas, and all the best for the new year! :D

ConstantFlyer
15th Dec 2011, 11:13
I recently flew on a Smartwings flight from Prague to Paris. (It is part of Czech airline Travel Service, I think.) Leafing through the in-flight magazine, I came across the route map and was intrigued to note that Prague-Isle of Man was shown as a "seasonally-operated" route. Is this so?

IOMspotter
11th Jan 2012, 18:23
Strong finish boosts 2011 Airport passenger increase - Airport Press Release

Passenger levels increased at Isle of Man Airport by over 4% during 2011, boosted by a particularly strong December for the Airport. 710,791 passengers passed through the Isle of Man Airport terminal in 2011, 27,801 more than in 2010, a 4.07% increase. Whilst much of the increase was attributable to the volcanic ash and weather disruption in 2010, the result brings a solid end to a year where growth has been dampened by the continued state of the UK and European economies.

December saw a 16.8% increase in traffic with almost 8,500 more passengers using the Airport than in December 2010. Disruptive weather in 2010 meant that, whilst a positive result for December 2011 was anticipated, the size of the increase exceeded expectation. Traffic was also slightly boosted by sea services being disrupted last month due to stormy weather, being the windiest December on record.

Airport Director, Ann Reynolds was pleased with the December performance and the impact that this has had on the annual outturn. “Like many airports, we originally expected 2011 to be a year of significant recovery, but it became clear very early on in 2011 that the economic difficulties experienced by the UK and Europe would preclude this,” she said. “However, what we have seen here in the Isle of Man, especially in the latter half of the year, is steadily improved performance which is now much closer to our original forecasts. The good December passenger levels have therefore meant that the Airport has turned in a solid 4% increase in passengers for 2011, despite the tough times that the domestic air travel industry is enduring.”

Thirteen out of the eighteen IOM scheduled routes saw an increase in passengers during December. Liverpool traffic soared by almost 37% with over 4,000 extra passengers using the Flybe and easyJet services. Other big increases included routes to London Gatwick and London City Airports with Flybe and Aer Arann – both up by between 17% and 20%. The Flybe operation of the winter Southampton route added almost 1,400 extra passengers, and the Flybe Bristol route, together with Manx2’s Gloucester service increased South West traffic by 12.6%. The Scottish routes also performed well with each of the Edinburgh and Glasgow routes carrying around 200 additional passengers, a 30% increase in Scottish traffic. Air freight also had a bumper month with a 75% increase, again as a result of the weather difficulties experienced by sea services.

The increase in total passengers in 2011, only 1.5% down on 2009’s annual figure, reversed a five year decline for the Airport which accelerated in mid 2008 with the start of the global recession coupled with other major disruptions. Until March this year, only 9 out of the previous 33 months resulted in an increase in traffic for the Island’s Airport, but since April eight out of the last nine months have shown a rise in passengers. “Despite the extended decline in recent years, of key importance we have continued to retain almost all of our scheduled routes,” added Ann. “In addition to this we have recently seen a healthy increase in charter traffic – 30% in 2011 – and together this provides a firm basis for future growth.”

The 4% increase for 2011 was also welcomed by Departmental Member for Ports, David Callister MLC. “Given the challenges that still remain for our airlines during these sustained tough economic times, the outturn for the year is remarkable,” he said. “The Island, its economy, and particularly our residents, absolutely rely upon the best network of air services offering frequent, reliable and cost effective flights year round, and I am grateful to the Isle of Man operators who have not only continued to provide the network we need, but have managed to generate growth during 2011. We look forward to working with them all in 2012 to explore further opportunities to develop the Island’s air services.”

IOMspotter
13th Jan 2012, 08:42
new Saturday Logie summer service Norwich - Reynoldsway starts May :ok:

ramprunner911
13th Jan 2012, 11:48
Any word on the serious security breach in Ronaldsway this morning?. A relation of mine said on FlyBes Gatwick 271 service said a passenger managed to get a 5 inch hunting knife thru security. I believe it was a geunine mistake leaving it in his hand baggage but getting it all the way to the aircraft. I guess next time I try to get to work on the ramp thru security i'll have even more items to remove than my boots and overalls. seems all this airside pass and screening is just to open doors.

Tonyq
13th Jan 2012, 12:48
Any comparison with 2010 is meaningless due to the volcanic ash and severe weather in November and December

These numbers showing the trend since 2005 are more interesting:-

Full year
December

Bearing in mind that the massive runway expenditure was built on a business case which projected on-going growth, this is even more alarming.

Obviously the world wide economic situation wasn't foreseen, and we are where we are, but surely these numbers suggest the whole business model is failing and a proper review of the cost base, and an associated recovery plan, is now needed as a matter of urgency.

Hansol
15th Jan 2012, 08:12
How many times. The runway extension was a safety requirement. It was never done to increase business. Indeed the usable area of the runway has not changed. All that has changed is the length of the run off areas.

Its time for the airport to be privatised. As a start the baggage handling should be taken over by the handling companies, that will certainly reduce costs.

gg190
15th Jan 2012, 15:23
New east England air route this summer | Isle of Man News | News | 3FM Isle of Man radio station - on-air, online, on Apple and on Android (http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/new-east-england-air-route-this-summer-4776/)

Must be Norwich.

IOMspotter
15th Jan 2012, 16:20
it is Norwich, see post on 13th

JSCL
15th Jan 2012, 16:27
And the tag line under the image of the article...

Aero Mad
15th Jan 2012, 16:55
And the interview itself under the tagline...

goldeneye
15th Jan 2012, 18:13
TCX once again have departures from IOM.

2nd June IOM-ALC 0645/1035 TCX3052 / 9th June ALC-IOM 1135/1325 TCX3053

gg190
15th Jan 2012, 18:18
And the tag line under the image of the article...

And the interview itself under the tagline...

I suppose it would have helped if I'd read the article properly (and listened to the audio)...... :ugh:

Cloud1
15th Jan 2012, 20:55
The NWI will be operated by Suckling Airways, for Loganair on the Dornier 328

It will not actually be on BE metal as such

Aero Mad
19th Jan 2012, 07:16
New route just announced by Manx2 from Reynoldsway to London-Oxford with a connection to Jersey.

Jersey gets new air route to Oxford - Business News | businesslife.co (http://www.businesslife.co/BusinessNews.aspx?id=jersey-gets-new-air-route-to-oxford)

IOMspotter
19th Jan 2012, 07:32
yessir, thats good news:D. its on the Oxford Airport website

London Oxford (Kidlington) Airport EGTK/OXF - Oxford Airport News & Press Releases (http://www.oxfordairport.co.uk/airport_news/news.htm)

Does anyone know what Oxford Airport is like?

Wycombe
19th Jan 2012, 11:33
Very pleasant, you'll feel like you've arrived in a private jet.

pabely
19th Jan 2012, 11:55
Lets see how Flybe like this against their IOM - LTN - JER route. If it drives down prices great, but I know a few IOM residents use the route to connect to bucket & spade routes from Luton.

IOMspotter
19th Jan 2012, 12:35
FlyBs LTN is only 3 days a week now and Blue islands are the same. This will give 7 days a week to JER but not direct so it looks like a comfort break in OXF will be involved:}

Cloud1
19th Jan 2012, 16:55
The article says its to be operated by a JS31 - is this an error or do Manx2 have one as I have never seen it. Only the Lets, Dornier and the Metro

Aero Mad
19th Jan 2012, 17:28
They charter one from Linksair, I believe.

pabely
19th Jan 2012, 19:54
IOM Spotter - Isn't the Flybe route back to 7 days in summer, via LTN?
I can see the attaction of some MK business people but LTN has so much more to offer than Oxford as far as connections. JER bound from IOM are very few. I run this route very often, JER - LTN almost demands it's own dedicated service, through passangers are very small, even with Blue Islands price!
If JER was a winner Flybe would have done a direct service by now.
They do well on IOM - LTN then LTN - JER, everything else is just hassle for crew & dispatchers (god I have seen this too many times!)

lfc84
19th Jan 2012, 20:29
whats the latest re the old control tower getting knocked down? is there a dep lounge extension and a rearrangement of security search area? and is there some work taking place for baggage (either dep or inbound)?

EMX81L
20th Jan 2012, 08:58
The old tower is coming down on the 28/29th Jan, starting Sat Afternoon, finishing by 1700 Sunday. Scaffolding has been removed ready for demolition. The stands surrounding the tower (5,6,9,10,11) will be closed when this takes place. This should of been done in the first place, as it would of been down in Oct/Nov. It will then be covered over. I suppose natural progression of the departure lounge down the apron is envisaged, but that won't happen for a good while I would of thought, if at all.

Not sure about the timescale for the baggage (outbound) / passenger security.

Tonyq
20th Jan 2012, 11:15
There are very few movements on a Saturday PM at present, so shouldn't inconvenience too many people!

RVF750
29th Jan 2012, 12:36
Indeed. It's one of the quietest weekends in the year, hence the timing.

They started yesterday morning on schedule.

Goodbye old friend.

j41cac
31st Jan 2012, 23:21
EI-R possible new route of the rock when all changes over in Apr. Is there any truth?

EI-BUD
31st Jan 2012, 23:30
EI-R possible new route of the rock when all changes over in Apr. Is there any truth?

Rumours about that AerArann remaining services will become Aer Lingus Regional operation soon as ATR42s being painted in EI Regional scheme.

Is there an AerArann parked on Saturdays and early Sundays in IOM, maybe there would be possibility of weekend flights with this down time? Maybe a few gaps in the timetable?

j41cac
31st Jan 2012, 23:43
Something that they could use rather than having an aircraft sat around doing nothing. Maybe the summer schedule might explain more, although i dont see any fighting on routes of the Rock. I wonder what those old rust buckets look like now (42's)? Last time i was a fare paying pax i was thinking the Island was a 3rd world destination due to the interior of them.

lfc84
4th Feb 2012, 12:17
IOM-SOU reported to be ceasing at end of Feb

IOMspotter
5th Feb 2012, 17:46
Its been confirmed and on Manx Radio that SOU/BRU finishes 28th of this month:{ Were also told that BRS is being run on a BRS aircraft with different timings from the end of March. One aircraft with crews is going up to Scotland.:{

adfly
5th Feb 2012, 18:51
I did hear the SOU-IOM route was not doing well but surely the route could have been:

-reduced to 4-5 weekly
-'re-made' seasonal
-changed to a Loganair Saab 340 (pending availibility, could also be used to keep BRS going)

or a combination of the above. It seems quite a jump to go from 6/7 weekly to 0 especially before the Summer season commences. Hopefully we will see Manx2 fill the gap and start SOU or BOH-IOM possibly even at double daily (still only 38 daily seats (2x 19 seat D228/J31) vs 78(1x Q400) in the Summer, they also seem to be doing well on numerous 'thin' domestic routes at the moment!

controlx
6th Feb 2012, 12:39
I would imagine the new Manx2 service from Oxford ('London Oxford Airport' !) will soak up much of that SOU catchment demand - straight up the A34 past Newbury

airhumberside
6th Feb 2012, 17:07
Were also told that BRS is being run on a BRS aircraft with different timings from the end of March.
There is currently no BE BRS based aircraft. Something like JER-BRS-IOM could always be possible though

IOMspotter
8th Feb 2012, 09:08
I got it wrong:ouch: its BHX is going onto a BHX aircraft and BRS stoping altogether.

lfc84
25th Feb 2012, 08:37
Arrival BE9312 Memmingham today. Unusual, what's that ?

EI-BUD
25th Feb 2012, 08:52
Arrival BE9312 Memmingham today. Unusual, what's that ?

lfc84: not sure what this flight is for, but Belfast City has had a winter charter this year on Saturday's so far to Memmingen also, one would guess it's a ski charter!

EI-BUD

EMX81L
25th Feb 2012, 08:55
It's a ski charter which went out last week with 2 lots of school groups from the islands schools. Operated by a BHD based E195.

IOMspotter
2nd Mar 2012, 13:22
Big Aer Arran announcement planned 4 next Tuesday. Dublin is going green but goodbye LCY?:{:{

j41cac
2nd Mar 2012, 15:11
Wonder if flybe would have any interest in it, there doesn't seem to be many small regional airlines left to keep this important route operating for the IOM. Maybe Logan air?????

Tonyq
2nd Mar 2012, 15:25
LCY is great way to access London and I've used it dozens of times with Euromanx and VLM, but only once with RE, on the basis of high fares, clapped out aircraft and significant puntuality issues. It was always going to end like this, one day.

Can't imagine that BE would want to compete with themselves on LGW and LTN, unless it was a tactical move to keep out someone else. But is there realistically anyone else? Manx2, Eastern?

I'd hope that the probable migration of c4k pax per month to LGW and BE might tempt them to look at an E175 for that route. Otherwise, the numbers suggest there will be a lot of full Q400's on Mondays and Fridays.

j41cac
2nd Mar 2012, 19:23
Mind you it looks like a load of s$@t as looking across other forums it was a irish news paper speculating. They need to sort there issues across the board and encourage people back, they seem to go tech ding dong

Haven't a clue
2nd Mar 2012, 19:29
Wouldn't it be nice if BA Citiflyer started a LCY-IOM-LCY service twice a day with an E170? As an IOM resident BA Gold Card holder I, and I suspect quite a few others, would use it.

But hang on. It would be in competition with a BA associated company. Now would not doing it be in breach of competition rules? Sadly I fear not.

But it would marry our favourite airline with our favourite London airport.

Aero Mad
2nd Mar 2012, 19:51
They run LGW - JER in competition with Flybe but that is probably just because there is tremendous demand. Where there's a will there's a way.

PPRuNeUser0176
4th Mar 2012, 12:19
London City route – announcement next week : TravelNews.im (http://www.travelnews.im/london-city-route-announcement-next-week)

Looks like London City to get dropped.

Hansard
4th Mar 2012, 13:26
The credibility of TravelNews.im is doubtful. They seem to think that Manx2 operates under the same type of franchise arrangement as Aer Arann/Aer Lingus and Loganair/Flybe.

Skipness One Echo
4th Mar 2012, 13:47
When this route began it was flown on a brand new ATR72-500, the fact that it remains on the elderly ATR42 with very poor punctuality shows how much of a priority this route became recently alas.

Haven't a clue
4th Mar 2012, 15:34
And hence the ever reducing loads. I like LCY but not RE's price or punctuality (foggy days excluded, of course).

IOMspotter
14th Mar 2012, 13:41
After todays news it looks like the LCY finishes end of april now rather than 25th march so we have that to be greateful for. Aircraft and crew off to SEN to operate the SEN-DUB seems to be the story:sad:

Aerarann.com - FAQ (http://www.aerarann.com/travel_information/faq.htm)

Manxman11
15th Mar 2012, 12:46
It would appear they are keen to get rid of the DUB route asap as well if their new pricing is anything to go by.

Just went to book a flight outbound on 22/3, return 25/3. Outbound price on Aer Arann's website is £34.99. Inbound on Aer Lingus (you are redirected to their site for the return) is £237.99 - for a 20 minute flight! The cheapest flight the next day was £111.99! :ooh:

Tinwald
17th Mar 2012, 08:57
Spotter fella - you know me, bit slow on the uptake as usual. where does it say the LCY finishes at the end of April.

PPRuNeUser0176
17th Mar 2012, 13:33
Aer Arann are not dropping LCY. Bookable all summer.

Cyrano
17th Mar 2012, 16:11
Aer Arann are not dropping LCY. Bookable all summer.

Are they really going to maintain a website, booking engine, customer service function, cabin crew uniform, and possibly single non-EI-liveried aircraft, just to fly one non-strategic route? :confused:

lfc84
17th Mar 2012, 16:23
is it REALLY so hard for people to go on their website and find out details for themselves?

as already posted you can see whats bookable on the aer arann website throughout the summer.

you can also see the route map which distuinghes between aer lingus regional and aer arann

http://www.aerarann.com/images/routemap_all.jpg

matspart3
17th Mar 2012, 16:52
What's the story with the BRS service? Is there still an IOM based Dash?

virginblue
17th Mar 2012, 17:05
Dn't think the route map is particularly helpful as it simply shows today's network.

As for LCY, common sense dictates that it is not very likely that it will remain as an Aer Arann route. I guess Aer Arann is trying to squeeze out some sort of subsidies / fee reductions from IOM/LCY to keep the route and transfer it to the EI franchise as well. If this does not work, I guess it will be axed. As for the route being bookable - I have booked quite a few flights on various airlines only to be informed later that, sorry for the inconvenience this may cause, but the route has to be axed.

London City air link in doubt? - Isle of Man News - iomtoday (http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/london-city-air-link-in-doubt-1-4355794)

GMIMA
17th Mar 2012, 17:28
Easyjet will shortly announce a new route from the isle of man.

LPL IOM SEN IOM LPL twice a day! Not sure if it will be operated by SEN or LPL based aircraft etc

Apparently Flybe mike rutter has been over to the IOM to threaten the IOM government over frequencies on the routes they operate on, should this go ahead!

Easy already announced SEN JER

Fingers crossed announcement to follow.

SWBKCB
17th Mar 2012, 18:53
Thought Mike Rutter was now with the Finnish operation?

GMIMA
17th Mar 2012, 19:03
Mike rutter is managing director of Europe, I don't know if Flybe treat the IOM as part of Europe or not? I guess if he was over here, then maybe so. However, Niall Duffy was also on the island recently.

Tonyq
17th Mar 2012, 23:07
600 seats a day IOM-SEN-IOM!!! Yeah, that really makes sense!:ugh:

It's probably about the last thing that IOM needs right now. De-stabilise the BE routes to LGW and LTN in exchange for a route to a distant backwater with slow and expensive rail links to London.........and finally drive RE away from LCY too.

Be careful what you wish for.

Barling Magna
17th Mar 2012, 23:41
Er..... where does the idea of a slow and expensive rail link to London come from? SEN's new terminal and rail station provides a rapid transit through to London, at a reasonable price. Passengers will get through SEN's arrival procedures in a fraction of the time taken at either Luton or LGW.

FlyBE had a chance to be the leading airline from the new SEN, but they blew it and now EZY have stepped in. Interesting.......

Tonyq
18th Mar 2012, 00:16
The distance and multiple stops mean it's an hour each way to Liverpool Street, compared to 30 mins. LGW to Victoria or London Bridge. That makes the journey comparatively long and slow in my book.

Any time saved clearing the airport is likely to be lost waiting for the next train as they materially less frequent than at LGW. I fly IOM - LGW 30+ times a year and, without bags, it takes 7 minutes from gate to station platform.

Open up IOM-SEN 3 or 4 times a weeks as another London option by all means, but that number of seats is greater than the entire IOM - London market and could f*ck everything up.

If this is for real, it will only end in tears at Reynoldsway........

mart901
18th Mar 2012, 00:43
I can't believe such protectionism still exists. What exactly will easyjet **** up as you put it? The status quo? The monopoly that current airlines have and take advantage of? And since when was the SEN-LON rail link expensive? Have you paid for a ticket on the gatwick express recently?? Ultimatley if people want to use such a service they will and if they don't they won't but they should be free to choose - competition is the life of trade.

LTNman
18th Mar 2012, 05:50
Er..... where does the idea of a slow and expensive rail link to London come from? SEN's new terminal and rail station provides a rapid transit through to London

You’re having a laugh. The train stops at every station all the way to London and takes all but an hour and even more than an hour on the odd train. The Southend service makes the slow crawl Stansted Express look quick by comparison but passengers do have a choice so let them make it.

From a Flybe viewpoint at least Easyjet are operating the flights into London's least popular airport where 60% of the airports catchment area is the North Sea and the facilities for passengers are almost non- existent rather than Gatwick but as Flybe know easyjet might start the service from Southend and then move it after a season to Gatwick. Now that would upset Flybe and the IOM could be left with just one airline serving just one London airport if and when Aer Arann go bust.

matspart3
18th Mar 2012, 09:34
Had a quick look on the Trainline website. There are some journeys just over an hour but generally, it's an average of 58 or 53 minutes to Liverpool St, every 20 minutes from Southend Airport and 44 to 48 minutes to Stratford, which is probably the easiest place to to pick up the tube. Peak open return is £26.

tophat27dt
18th Mar 2012, 09:41
woooow...Do I have the impression LTNman loves his airports more than anythingelse in the world? For sure, he really hates SEN. You are free to speak, but get your facts right, mate.

LTNman
18th Mar 2012, 10:05
Don't hate Southend and I don't love Luton, If you read through my LTN posts you will see that I can be critical of that airport as well. So what fact have I got wrong out of interest:confused:

Aero Mad
18th Mar 2012, 10:06
Now, now, LTNman, you don't need to carry your anti-SEN crusade onto here as well := Most rational people who don't have vested interests at other under-performing London airports can see that Southend is destined for success. The place to debate this (which you have already attempted there but failed so started here instead) is http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/479388-southend-3-new-beginning.html

The facts you got wrong were:

The train takes all but an hour and even more than an hour on the odd train

I refer you to matspart3's post.

The Southend service makes the slow crawl Stansted Express look quick by comparison

Not particularly considering the above.

Easyjet are operating the flights into London's least popular airport

There have been no surveys or polls of SEN yet so how is this judged? Last time Which? surveyed Luton...

60% of the airports catchment area is the North Sea

I don't think the plankton will be contributing many passengers - most will come from London, Basildon, Southend, Chatham, Gillingham and the rest of East Anglia.

facilities for passengers are almost non- existent

Perhaps you joined the party late - since you first started criticising they have built rather a nice new terminal:

http://essex.so/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/London-Southend-Airport.jpg

If you're going to criticise somewhere, at least do it the justice of getting your facts right.

Barling Magna
18th Mar 2012, 10:11
Hello LTNman. I'm not having a laugh, old chum. The fare is cheaper and the journey time only five minutes longer. Facilities for passengers at SEN's new terminal are fine for transit from rail station or car park through security to the aircraft. There's sufficient shopping and food and drink to meet basic needs - it's an airport after all, not a shopping centre. SEN is never going to be anything more than a small airport with niche services alongside the usual LoCo bucket and spade routes; it's no threat to LTN or STN or LGW. Why be so negative about it? Why not celebrate some new investment in aviation in these troubled times? I'm certainly pleased that LTN is going to see major new investment. We're all in this together, as a certain multi-millionaire, old Etonian man of the people says.

No problem with the catchment area, by the way. The immediate catchment is 300,000 and there's over a million people within half an hour's travel time so no worries there.

Southend United pressing for promotion to League One - how are Luton Town doing....? (Below the belt, I know!)

lfc84
18th Mar 2012, 12:16
Easyjet are operating flights into London's least popular airport

Not according to their forward bookings for the existing routes.

tws123
18th Mar 2012, 14:52
Clearly Southend is unpopular - thats why EasyJet from Southend have been out selling like-for-like routes from Stansted by 3 to 1! :D

GMIMA
18th Mar 2012, 15:40
such a shame that this news is not treated in a positive light. easyjet is a low cost carrier and not like flybe who pretends to be one. I don't call 400 euro cheap from the IOM to CDG cheap (one way).

People said that easyjet wouldn't stick out the LPL IOM LPL route, but they have, and it has become great success for them. So why not to londons new hub? Easyjet is a very cautious airline, I'm sure they have done there research carefully. I think what you will find is that the two flights a day will be for the summer season only.

People want cheap airfares, so here you all are. embrace it

GMIMA
18th Mar 2012, 15:53
i think another big advantage easyjet has over current operators is that it uses jets rather than turbo props, dash 8 q 400 is a good aircraft, but people still look at it and think its old, even when comparing it to an old BAC 1-11.

oh, this is not to have a dig at turbo props, but just making a point.

Captinbirdseye
18th Mar 2012, 18:32
SEN?? London's least popular airport?? Better see the link below.

Poll reveals (http://www.internationalairportreview.com/2821/airport-news/poll-reveals-%E2%80%98best%E2%80%99-and-%E2%80%98worst%E2%80%99-uk-airports/)

LTNman your facts are incorrect mate!! You would find the train times to Canary Wharf are less from SEN than LTN also from SEN to the city are less. Which I would say in terms of business are the most important areas of London.

Also, why dont you come back to us in a year and give SEN a proper chance. People might be a little more understanding of your arguments if you give it a proper chance.

CP BE

Cloud1
18th Mar 2012, 20:14
such a shame that this news is not treated in a positive light. easyjet is a
low cost carrier and not like flybe who pretends to be one. I don't call 400
euro cheap from the IOM to CDG cheap (one way).

IOM-CDG will be quoted in £. They are not £400, the majority are £90 odd which isnt bad considering it is too seperate flights and very little hassle in between.

Flybe have potentially missed an opportunity with SEN however they may well learn that for themselves soon. Whether SEN is a success story in the making doesnt bother me and I am on neither side of the petty argument. Time will tell and whilst it may be a perfect alternative for businessmen trying to get in to London, it will never offer the wide range of connections that can be booked via LGW. There will always be a market for the latter especially when living on an island

I do wish Stobarts would buy Exeter though - certainly getting quiet down there!! But thats for another thread

lfc84
18th Mar 2012, 22:23
So is SEN-IOM 99% ?

GMIMA
18th Mar 2012, 23:56
cloud1

wish i could find a flight for 90 quid odd, try adding a bag, a fuel charge, and a credit charge soon adds up.

oh, and for you info, when sat in a hotel room in paris, the search engine can tell what country you are in and it is 400 euro.

yes 99 sure it will happen mom sen

GMIMA
19th Mar 2012, 21:50
Anne reynolds almost lets slip about easyjet SEN

watch video

Airport Director on new equipment | MT TV | iom news on demand manx.net (http://www.manx.net/tv/mt-tv/watch/4932/airport-director-on-new-equipment)

virginblue
19th Mar 2012, 22:27
I think in addition to "first world problems" I will have to add "small island problems" to my dictionary asap :p - 4m34s of TV about airport equipment, I am impressed. :ok:

Cloud1
19th Mar 2012, 22:37
CDG-IOM will be in Euros. IOM-CDG will not, regardless of where you are. They are not all 400 euros so please do some research first before moaning.

Moving back to the SEN topic, Anne's speech wont load is it my computer or has the clip now expired?

lfc84
19th Mar 2012, 22:49
Anne reynolds almost lets slip about easyjet SEN

"...if easyjet were to give us another aircraft and another destination..."

if an announcement is coming, it will happen when they announce the winter schedule is on sale

IOMspotter
22nd Mar 2012, 11:03
Arann coming off but Logie 328 filling the gap?

Infrastructure Minister David Crentey MHK confirmed that Aer Arann could only give a commitment to the route for a period of time - and talks had been going on for several weeks now to see if an alternative operator could be found.

He said: ‘It is a very important route for the island’s business community but it is not a profitable route for Aer Arann. I am hopeful that an alternative operator can be found.’

stab3.5up
22nd Mar 2012, 11:51
Would manx2 not try the dub route?

IOMspotter
22nd Mar 2012, 12:22
Aer Arann to Close Isle of Man – London City Route

(Thursday, 22nd March 2012) Aer Arann is to cease operating its Isle of Man to London City service with effect from Wednesday 11th April 2012. The airline intends to operate a normal Isle of Man-London City schedule up to and including Tuesday, 10th April with the last flight, RE 308, arriving from London City at 2050hrs that evening.

Passengers with confirmed bookings for flights after 10th April will be contacted directly by Aer Arann and will be offered a full refund.

“We sincerely regret the impact that this decision will have on our customers” said Sean Brogan, Aer Arann’s Interim Chief Executive. “The decision however is due to our evolving new business model which is based on providing connectivity and frequency on flights between the UK and Ireland and onwards to the USA and unfortunately the Isle of Man-London City route is not a strategic fit with this.”

Aer Arann has 14 flight deck and cabin crew based in Isle of Man and all will be offered the opportunity to move to other Aer Arann bases.

“I would like to thank our customers for their continued support for this service and for remaining loyal to us and to the London City route,” said Sean Brogan.

“Our team in Ronaldsway has provided an excellent service to our Isle of Man and London City customers since the route was launched in January 2009 and they have helped to build and maintain our reputation as a professional, safe and caring airline.”

Aer Arann will continue to operate its Isle of Man to Dublin service under the Aer Lingus Regional brand effective 25th March.

With the Aer Lingus Regional service, Isle of Man passengers will benefit from connectivity on all Aer Lingus flights through Dublin offering not only excellent access to major European destinations such as Amsterdam, Paris, Brussels and Rome but also transatlantic connectivity on Aer Lingus flights to New York, Boston, Chicago and Orlando.

Passengers will also benefit from US Customs and Immigration pre-clearance facilities at Dublin Airport that will allow them to arrive in the US as domestic passengers, saving valuable time. Flights from Isle of Man to Dublin are available for booking on Aer Lingus- cheap flights, gift vouchers, hotels, car hire, & travel insurance (http://www.aerlingus.com).

virginblue
22nd Mar 2012, 15:06
Humble pie anyone who said that the route would not cease because flights were bookable all summer.....:=

Where does Cityjet park its Fokker 50 off-peak these days with no more noon-time parking exercises at IOM and JER? Maybe they are interested again now that the competition is gone? A daily flight is better than nothing, given that the route has been operated for quite a while by Euromanx and Aer Arann.

Tonyq
22nd Mar 2012, 16:46
Cityjet (as VLM) had a great window of opportunity to make IOM-LCY their own during last hiatus on the route, after Euromanx went bust, and before RE took the IOM Government's 'shilling' to re-instate it, so doubtful they will see things differently now.

PAXboy
22nd Mar 2012, 17:58
As a general rule, companies tend not to learn from their mistakes. Therefore, if this good opening is seen (proven and trusted route) it will be by another carrier.

virginblue
22nd Mar 2012, 18:36
Problem is that there are hardly any regional airlines left that could take over the route. I happenend to flip through a "UK Airlines 2012" supplement to a aviation mag the other day and they had to include companies like "Glass Eels" with its sole Cessna 208 to fill the pages.... Sign of the times.

Cyrano
22nd Mar 2012, 19:24
Would manx2 not try the dub route?

Up against Aer Lingus/Aer Arann?:confused: RE are only pulling off LCY-IOM, not DUB-IOM.

Haven't a clue
23rd Mar 2012, 09:17
AirportDirector on the local radio station saying that they were talking to people and hoped that the service might be provided by another operator. But as virginblue says, who's left? FlyBe have previously said they will not operate Q400s into LCY; that leaves Logie's Saabs or Eastern machinery. Or maybe (and I know I have said it before) BA Citiflyer.

But if the suggestion that Easyjet will be adding 600 seats a day to "London" Southend is true, who will want to take on competing with that, and with FlyBe's LGW operation?

The Shop Floor
23rd Mar 2012, 10:43
LCY based BA Cityflyer are expected to return to the lighter blue 'collective' after the summer, so maybe we will see a Jet service to London after all.

IOM-SEN-IOM?. Really?. :rolleyes:

Cyrano
23rd Mar 2012, 16:21
LCY based BA Cityflyer are expected to return to the lighter blue 'collective' after the summer

Sorry if I am being obtuse - what "lighter blue collective" is this?

LGS6753
23rd Mar 2012, 19:41
Surely FlyBe will take the opportunity of increasing IOM-LTN?

PAXboy
23rd Mar 2012, 19:50
In the 15 or so years I used the LTN route (from when it started), the frequency never got above 1 per day and was usually 3 per week.

Tinwald
25th Mar 2012, 02:15
After due considerations over a few pints at the Albie, I think the fella who mentioned - "lighter blue collective"- was subtly suggesting the BA lot get aborbed into flybe. Does BA a favour and after the world sports fortnight later in the year does BA need to fly the flag at the city any more. Good rumour to start from the Shop Floor, yessir:D

tallaonehotel
25th Mar 2012, 07:31
Don't know if Loganair will attempt another IOM project, the BLK/BHD was a disaster.
The Saab fleet isn't steep approach modified, but the Dornier is.
It would be interesting to find out the loads on the RE flights?
Eastern have also had their fingers burnt by the Manx market, maybe Manx 2 could have a go in a LET410.

EI-BUD
25th Mar 2012, 08:02
tallaonehotel,

there is info on caa.co.uk website, go to
www.caa.co.uk/statistics (http://www.caa.co.uk/statistics) and follow the links to provisional airport statistics, which are on the lhs of the screen.

It will show monthly totals of passengers flying between the airports.
Feb was 3175 wich compares to 3694 for the same month last year.

In addition, IOM government gives detailed analysis of numbers on all routes and by carriers;
go to www.gov.im/transport/airport/ (http://www.gov.im/transport/airport/)

you can see the detail as an attachment to the news item.

EI-BUD

Tinwald
25th Mar 2012, 08:14
6000 on the route in May 07.

talla fella - LETS will be literally going IN at LCY if you let them loose. And wasnt there talk that the airport wasn't interested in anything less than 50 seats and that's why eastern were scared off plus the high fees

tallaonehotel
25th Mar 2012, 09:08
Tinwald, couldn't agree more with you on the Let!
The bean counters will be working out the figures, all down to the yield as we all know.
A sub 50 seat aircraft would be safe bet on the route, but again the charges can scare a few off.

IOMspotter
25th Mar 2012, 09:10
its gotta be a Suckling 328 leased to cityflyer or cityjet/VLM but will the lighter blue boys in Exeter allow it. They want the pax numbers back on LGW and LTN. Thats why they canned SOU to get LGW loads up again.:sad:

j41cac
25th Mar 2012, 23:19
I cannot believe you are even contemplating Manx2 on a Let in LCY, i wouldn't let an animal fly into there with them never mind on the LET :ugh:

PENNINE BOY
26th Mar 2012, 07:32
Couldnt agree more with J41!

I was flying into Ronaldsway on friday morning, the ATIS was giving the weather at Ronaldsway as 2200 meteres in haze and few cloud at 700 ft.

We were ahead of the let that was coming in from BPL, we were astonished when the Let pilot requested a visual approach from the controller and got it :ugh:

Pure madness! I am not a dog lover but J41 is correct, would rather use the ferry!

Capt. Horrendous
26th Mar 2012, 09:48
Not sure the controller can decline the request if the visibility is above a certain figure (think its 800 metres from memory) and traffic permits, so there are no reasons to be surprised that they got what they asked for.

tallaonehotel
26th Mar 2012, 20:28
It was a little tongue and cheek with the LET into LCY.
I think the island will have to put up with LGW or LTN for the meantime.

EuroWings
27th Mar 2012, 18:48
What's wrong with the Van Air LETs? Just curious as I am flying on one to IOM next month...:cool:

Tinwald
28th Mar 2012, 02:21
Eurowings, fella, if you need to ask that then you must be a daffodil bulb propagator and know sweet FA about aviation. Just read about manxy2 on these forums and make google a mate as well. You'll get your answers, fella, yessir

EuroWings
28th Mar 2012, 06:17
Of course I know about the Manx2 incidents involving operators other than Van Air but I was wondering about Van Air as they seem (from an outsiders point of view) to have operated the LETs out of BLK relatively trouble-free over the past 4 or 5 years.

A search doesn't really dig any dirt on this operator (or FLM Aviation who operate the Dorniers)....

If Manx2 are supposedly just a ticketing agency, the actual operators are all you have to go on...

Tinwald
28th Mar 2012, 06:38
Eurowings fella - really must try a bit harder. Im computer illiterate but 10 secs on google turned this one up Manx2 flight suffers burst tyre - Isle of Man News - iomtoday (http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/manx2-flight-suffers-burst-tyre-1-4008446#)

and there was the one that blew over and the baggage door. The experts on here will set you right, yessir.

Expressflight
28th Mar 2012, 07:19
Tinwald - do you really feel the need to be so snotty to a genuine request for information? You obviously "know it all", but not everyone on here is so fortunate, so needs to ask from time to time.

Tinwald
28th Mar 2012, 07:51
No mate i don't know it all but eurowings could find out all th einfo he needs himself by just expending a little time and effort at the keyboard. So yes, in answer to your question.

Cyrano
28th Mar 2012, 08:00
Of course I know about the Manx2 incidents involving operators other than Van Air but I was wondering about Van Air as they seem (from an outsiders point of view) to have operated the LETs out of BLK relatively trouble-free over the past 4 or 5 years.

A search doesn't really dig any dirt on this operator (or FLM Aviation who operate the Dorniers)....

If Manx2 are supposedly just a ticketing agency, the actual operators are all you have to go on...

I'd agree with you - I am not aware of any significant incidents associated with either of these operators. A burst tyre doesn't really qualify as a major incident (especially as the press report doesn't even use the word "terrified" at any stage ;) and the journalist can't bring themselves to use any stronger word than "eventful"). One can justifiably question the degree of oversight which was applied by the "ticketing agency" in the past (and the Irish accident report is likely to do just this) but I am not aware of any major issues related to either of the actual operators. I am happy to be corrected.

Hope this helps.
C.

ericlday
28th Mar 2012, 08:01
Not just on this thread but there are many questions that could have been answered with a little 'Google' time.

nospeedrestriction9
28th Mar 2012, 08:19
Anyone who has lived on the Isle of Man will understand that any small incident will be turned into a major disaster by the radio/press. That's the way the Island is.

EuroWings
28th Mar 2012, 08:19
I'd agree with you - I am not aware of any significant incidents associated with either of these operators. A burst tyre doesn't really qualify as a major incident (especially as the press report doesn't even use the word "terrified" at any stage http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif and the journalist can't bring themselves to use any stronger word than "eventful"). One can justifiably question the degree of oversight which was applied by the "ticketing agency" in the past (and the Irish accident report is likely to do just this) but I am not aware of any major issues related to either of the actual operators. I am happy to be corrected.

This was along the lines I was thinking about Van Air and FLM, but some posters seemed quite critical about the LETs so I did wonder if there was more to them than meets the eye.

I didn't mean to annoy anyone, I did undertake Google search, but like Cyrano I am always a bit suspicious of reports in papers (as they often seem sensationalist at the very least!).

Expressflight
28th Mar 2012, 08:24
To an extent I agree with ericlday, but as aviation professionals I'm sure there are aspects of certain operators' performance, for example, on which many of us have informed views that you will not find by Googling.
I feel that it would be a pity in general if anyone was discouraged from asking a reasonable question for fear of getting flamed for doing so.

Apologies for going somewhat off topic.

Lord Gumboil Jnr.
28th Mar 2012, 09:05
Expressflight.

Here, Here! I entirely agree.

Barling Magna
28th Mar 2012, 09:55
I support Expressflight's points also. And why should Tinwald attack daffodil bulb propagators? I hope one is working on bulbs that will deter those pesky birds that are destroying mine at the moment........

EMX81L
30th Mar 2012, 08:53
Easyjet are ramping up their schedule for Winter 12/13 with double daily flights on Mon, Fri, Sun, with the addition of Thurs in some weeks too!

There will be an 08:50 and 17:20 Dep from the island on the Mon, Fri and selected Thurs, and 12:20 and 17:20 on Sun.

Tinwald
30th Mar 2012, 09:25
So the easys will do to the boys in light blue what they did to the euromanxies on the Liverpool route. What goes around comes around or is ti the other way around or something. Anyway it would be just puddings.

Haven't a clue
30th Mar 2012, 15:23
Can anyone tell me what happened last night? The LCY diverted to DUB and LGW to LPL. Actuals at 2020z were ok, as was the TAF, so what caused the disruption?

EHkodiak
30th Mar 2012, 16:03
There was intermittant quite bad wind shear (it's quite bad today too)

Haven't a clue
30th Mar 2012, 16:39
Thanks EHkodiak, appreciate the explanation.

j41cac
2nd Apr 2012, 23:13
What's this about Menzies being over to the Rock and the IOM GOV trying to off load the baggage handling department? Or is this just usual rumours at Reynoldsway :confused:

ManxTugs
2nd Apr 2012, 23:31
There were Menzies people at the airport today. Seemed to be looking over the flight support equipment.

No idea about the baggage handlers, but that's the usual rumour, however pressure is on them.

Manx Radio released salary details for them last week... :: Manx Radio :: The Isle of Man's Premier Radio Station :: (http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=58579)

£34.5k a year. Crazy

EMX81L
3rd Apr 2012, 08:21
Not rumours about Menzies looking around Ronaldsway. Not sure about baggage, but they have around AFS.

They have just taken on Flybe handling in LGW and BHX. I think in the big picture, they want MAN too, but if they take over Flight Support, they gain 4 bases in total.

lfc84
18th Apr 2012, 10:33
Easyjet LGW-IOM from October

Haven't a clue
18th Apr 2012, 10:49
Thin end of a wedge.

Although if BE continue their practice of dropping a rotation in the so called slacker periods, then maybe frequency overall won't be affected.

Incidentally just saw the SPCo figures for Feb - significant reduction. Explains why LPL is so strong.

EMX81L
18th Apr 2012, 11:16
easyJet to start London Gatwick route | Isle of Man News | News | 3FM Isle of Man radio station - on-air, online, on Apple and on Android (http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/easyjet-to-start-london-gatwick-route/)

Tinwald
18th Apr 2012, 11:22
if it's the thin end of the wedge of usually £200 minumum to get to gatwick and back then that's fine by me.

Flybe have been taking the michael with fares on and off the rock for too long, yessir. Nothing wrong with competition -after all its ruined many a good airline here but no tears were shed then.

waiting for haq to come back with a treatise (? read it in a book once) on why flybe is so good for us.:ok:

Haven't a clue
18th Apr 2012, 12:29
Tinwald I don't particularly like FlyBe. I get really annoyed by their fare gouging booking system (I now see the admin fee/card fee is now around £13 per booking - great if you're in a family but a 250% increase for me flying solo). I have done a few sectors on Easyjet and it was ok (I can take my BA sized carry on as a carry on - with FlyBe it goes in the hold).

What concerns me as a frequent flyer on both business and leisure is that one big Airbus can carry twice as many as the Dash 8 and thus without an chunky increase in pax numbers fewer flights are needed for the same numbers, Ergo (it's like "treatise" - look it up in your book) frequency will fall. And it is frequency which the business travellers need. And we leisure pax don't really like hanging around Gatwick after rocking up from our holiday too late to catch the early flight, do we?

So if FlyBe throw a hissy fit that's a max of two flights a day to/from Gatwick then. Not good, I suggest. Back to the dark ages.

On the £200 per ticket front don't you remember paying £166 APEX or similar with Manx? 20 years ago? Ronaldsway is an expensive airport to operate into I'm told, and Gatwick is getting dearer. Fuel has gone up a bit too. OK if you book a decade ahead you may get a cheap ticket, but I reckon £200 a week in advance is probably about right.

Tonyq
18th Apr 2012, 13:05
I have mixed views on all this. I am a regular passenger on IOM-LGW (50-60 sectors a year); I am nearly always able to book well ahead; have an Electron card; usually travel light; so seldom pay more that £65 for a round trip, although I notice future fares are currently above that level. Current frequency is good and I have used each of BE's eight daily flights at some point in the last year.
On one level, anything that enables me to carry on enjoying cheap fares, and frequency, is good news.
However, I doubt that the London market is anything like as elastic as Liverpool, where the arrival of Easyjet has sucked passengers away from the Steam Packet, although, if you look closely at the figures, FlyBe are actually growing their share on that route more than EZY, due to frequency.
On the other hand, a single A319 is more or less the same number of seats that have just been lost on IOM-LCY. Obviously not a direct substitute in any shape or form, but in terms of the overall London market capacity, perhaps it is sustainable.
Much will depend on timing and frequency. Perhaps FlyBe will be able soak up the higher yielding business PAX displaced from LCY, and won't be too bothered about shedding low yielding leisure punters?
Time will tell how this plays out........

lfc84
20th Apr 2012, 12:03
LGW-IOM
1345 1510 EZY853 319 Non-Stop 01:25 hrs North Terminal

IOM-LGW
1540 1700 EZY854 319 Non-Stop 01:20 hrs

Mon, Wed, Thur, Fri

IGNORE THE ABOVE,

ITS ACTUALLY

dep iom 1625 mon, thu, fri. sun

operate some wed and some sat

departs LGW at 1430

pabely
21st Apr 2012, 16:36
Timings are not great for the IOM commuters, but it's a start, and a shot across the bows on Flybe. A Sunday Evening and Friday Evening would have been great for business & long weekenders, lets hope this is another toe in the Irish Sea....more please, although it's been on the cards for a at least a year now :)

learjet50
21st Apr 2012, 16:58
Folks

EZY are only using slots at Gatwick so thay wont lose them

They will drop the route as quickly as they started it if another destination comes up

Fly Be are not bothered as the competion only use the IOM as they want to

Flybe serve IOM all year round providing an excellant service and I think a lot of the regulars know this

Easy will come and go as they need to use A/C sat round doing nothing and can utilize them for a Quickie (To IOM and Back)

Mid u Nothing wrong with a Quickie

Love to all

Skipness One Echo
21st Apr 2012, 21:04
Fly Be are not bothered as the competion only use the IOM as they want to

Flybe serve IOM all year round providing an excellant service and I think a lot of the regulars know this

They've had a monopoly for a while now and they cancel willy nilly. easyJet are not slot sitting, they have absolutely no need to.

Cloud1
21st Apr 2012, 22:15
Skipness, care to give examples of this "willy nilly" cancelling?? I notice you are based in London so how often do you actually fly with BE to IOM?

If an airline operates a route 4 times a day a tech fault, weather, ATC delays whatever may mean more disruption than an airline operating once a day. It is customer perception and not at all realistic when considering the size of the operation.

For those that think EZY moving on to the rock is a good idea, lets put it in to perspective. These are not exact as some of the 'daily' services dont include weekends but I am just trying to give an example of BEs network from IOM.

BHX - 2 x daily
LPL - 4 x daily
LGW - 4 x daily
LTN - 5 x weekly
MAN - 5 x daily
EDI - daily (Loganair)
GLA - daily (Loganair)
NWI - 1 x weekly (Loganair)
BRS - 3 x weekly (summer)
JER - weekly (summer)
PMI, IBZ, MAH - Summer Charters
GVA - 1 x weekly (winter)

Why is it that Flybe are continually criticised? Their fares are reasonable if booked in advance. Try booking a last minute flight with EasyJet or Ryanair and see what cheap fares are available. BE service is good, with lounges and a FFP.

I do not understand why this airline which came in and took over a number of routes from previously failing carriers, securing local jobs for local residents still have such a negative following on here. 2007 was a bad year following BAcon acquisition because of old crappy planes acquired and some crew that moved across with oversized egos. These have been rectified so can we try and see the positives???

I am not interested in this turning in to an argument. I am more than aware of a select few who gang together on this forum. But it is getting boring now listening to the same old tripe being typed on here by 'aviation professionals'

EI-BUD
21st Apr 2012, 23:16
For those that think EZY moving on to the rock is a good idea, lets put it in
to perspective

Cloud1, there is a debate to be had here. It's similar to the one about Tesco V all the independent retail outlets around the country. Tesco come in and in most cases lead to the demise of many of the smaller operators.

However, in the case of Flybe, while they can be hailed great for supporting the IOM, dont be under any illusion, they are a commercial business and do so only because it is providing a return to them. If it wasnt paying they wouldnt be there.

My personal view is that Flybe while they may be painted as a small carrier, they have significant clout and leverage at many airports where they have monopolies. E.g. Exeter, Isle of Man, Belfast City (biggest operator), maybe some of the channel Islands etc. They know how to charge and some competition may be good for the competitive landscape. the size of the 319 will restrict Easyjet from going to high on frequency.

Easyjet will take careful steps, just as in the case of Liverpool, building the service up and now the time is right to go onto IOM London.

EI-BUD

Capt. Horrendous
22nd Apr 2012, 08:39
2007 was a bad year following BAcon acquisition because of old crappy planes acquired and some crew that moved across with oversized egos. These have been rectified so can we try and see the positives???

Nothing wrong with the E145 that was here, far more reliable than the Q400. Also, there were no over inflated egos on the IOM, quite the opposite in fact. The reason why it was bad here was that the IOM operation was frequently sacrificed to support the UK business, often at just a minutes notice. It was so frustrating for us locals because we knew the damage it would do to our reputation for a long time. Fair enough in times of need, but, that is the reason, not anything to do with crews or aircraft inherited at the acquisition.

Cloud1
22nd Apr 2012, 09:24
EI-BUD - ermm thanks for your reply ;)

However, in the case of Flybe, while they can be hailed great for supporting the IOM, dont be under any illusion, they are a commercial business and do so only because it is providing a return to them. If it wasnt paying they wouldnt be there.

I am not suggesting they are in any way different to any other carrier - money is money and business is business. What I am trying to do is point out that if BE were not on the island it is unlikely the same number of services would be retained at the same frequency by another carrier. Regional airlines in the UK with similar sized, economic aircraft are few and far between really.

A bit of support wouldnt kill anyone would it. I have no doubt that BE will continue its operations succesfully on the rock with or without competition from the big orange bus I just get a little tired of hearing negative comments about an operation which a lot of people work hard to maintain - in some cases lifeline links to the mainland.

Nothing wrong with the E145 that was here, far more reliable than the Q400. Also, there were no over inflated egos on the IOM, quite the opposite in fact

I didnt say it was IOM aircraft or crew did I - although I have to admit I forgot that IOM was E145 based, thought you had one of the old Brymon Dash's! If I recall correctly IOM was one of few places where staff realised the change over was worthwhile in securing their salaries. However it was the operation on a larger scale elsewhere which got bashed and BE had to use the 'working resources' as much as they could ultimately having an impact on every single airport at some stage. As I say above, it gets very tedious reading comments like "Flybe cancel willy nilly" when we know thats a load of rubbish.

Someone has to stand up and defend the company, and the huge number of employees working hard for them who also read this forum.

Anyway changes are on the way so give it 12 months and hopefully the opinions of many will be very different.

Capt. Horrendous
22nd Apr 2012, 10:04
I'm in total agreement with you, but as we're on an IOM forum, one could be forgiven for thinking you were being specific about the IOM in your criticism.

There will always be a vocal few who have other agendas, who will always moan about and slag Flybe at any opportunity. It's the same in all walks of life.

Cloud1
22nd Apr 2012, 11:35
Fair point CH maybe should have worded it differently.

lfc84
23rd Apr 2012, 09:27
dep iom 1625 mon, thu, fri. sun

operate some wed and some sat

departs LGW at 1430

pabely
23rd Apr 2012, 16:41
If LGW works for EZY, you can expect MAN in a years time. Thus IOM could have up to 6 EZY departures a day, who would have thought that two years ago?

Tonyq
23rd Apr 2012, 17:18
So EZY twice daily to LGW, MAN and LPL and, inevitably, sod all else would be a good thing..........I think not:ugh:

pabely
23rd Apr 2012, 18:24
EZY would not be interested in any other routes, these would be the only ones to make money and fit their business model. They are a business and thus why would they look at any other routes?
IOM passengers will benefit from it in the long run. Flybe won't be going anywhere, they have already had their spat with LGW over charges but it is a cash cow for them and remain so. EZY won't be doing any red-eyes.

Customer choice is something IOM needs, not just in aviation!

Tonyq
23rd Apr 2012, 19:00
EZY x 6 daily to wherever, equals 56,000 seats a month. Not much trade left there for anyone else. Manx2 might retain a few scraps into their niche markets, but likely there'd be no other IOM based aircraft; no red eyes to anywhere; no late evening flights back; no meaningful competition; little choice; no local airline jobs.

Be careful what you wish for.

AirLCY
23rd Apr 2012, 19:02
If Easyjet did operate IOM to LPL, MAN and LGW twice daily, Flybe would not remain and there would not be customer choice on those routes. No chance both airlines could profitably operate with those kind of schedules.

Aero Mad
23rd Apr 2012, 19:47
I quite agree... recent States of Guernsey study stated the obvious and showed that high frequency, fewer seats is essential for such islands to remain competitive in terms of good links. easyJet is a lovely idea but they are contrained by demand to IOM and also slots available at LGW. Having Dash 8s and Embraer 175s on key routes to London, Liverpool and Manchester seems a better idea than flooding the market with a glut A319 seats, or just having fewer frequencies.

westone
23rd Apr 2012, 23:06
The big fat director spent £46m of tax payer’s money on a runway extension to attract “Bigger Aircraft”.
Oh dear what a silly innocent waste of public money, she will now reap the reward of an Easy Jet dominated Isle of Man at the expense of locally based tax paying crew, passengers and operators.
Please sack her before she turns Ronaldsway into another Sheffield airport.

PAXboy
23rd Apr 2012, 23:54
She didn't do it on her own, westone. There will be board members and govt equally as supportive of the plan.

It's just that, Standard Operating Procedures for anyone with teh title 'MD' or 'CEO' is BIGGER. They cannot help themselves. The era of slow, steady expansion whilst not upsetting the applecart was torched in the 1990s.

pabely
24th Apr 2012, 00:11
Was the runway extended to attract larger aircraft, I thought it was to do with safety zones so that it would not actually be reduced?

Aero Mad
24th Apr 2012, 06:54
The era of slow, steady expansion whilst not upsetting the applecart was torched in the 1990s. Generally I think that's probably pushing it a little... I would be more inclined to say early 1950s.

lfc84
24th Apr 2012, 08:41
TPS | Isle of Man Airport runway extension (http://www.tpsconsult.co.uk/tps/news/2011/01_iom.asp)

Haven't a clue
24th Apr 2012, 11:13
Paxboy IIRC it was her predecessor who uttered the phrase "to do nothing is not an option" when the scheme was first announced. I still remain puzzled though as to how other airports with more challenging surroundings will create RESAs - JER and LCY come immediately to mind.

lfc84 That's an interesting link. It is the first time I have seen a firm statement that the runway was extended. Albeit with the use of starter strips. Also interesting is the comment that the new structure now meets the full recommendations of CAP168 ch3 p5 "which sets out the recommended dimensions..". My italics, but note "recommended" not "mandatory".

So Easyjet are now going to help themselves to more of the low hanging fruit. Let's hope Tonyq's point that the additional seat capacity at about the same as the now lost LCY traffic means that FlyBe's loads (and importantly yield) are not adversely hit, and that they maintain frequency. However I could see LTN loads suffering - much of that traffic is no doubt price sensitive.

Cloud1 I think the "willy nilly" cancelation comment by S1K may have been inspired by the removal of some services from the timetable beyond the usual February/early March period. For example the 0950 Tuesday and 1355 Wednesday LGW rotations have been dropped til 1 May. For those of us who travel often it is frustrating to plan a trip and then find that the flight you want to take isn't running because there's not an "r" in the month or something. And of course the reduction in frequency means fuller planes, which the booking system translates into higher fares which the public and Tinwald rightly criticise.

Punctuality remains most important. Comment has been made before concerning the removal of one airframe from the island and the impact that this will have on punctuality. And specifically by serving BHX by a BHX based aircraft will cause problems. Yesterday the BHX morning service was 3 hours late presumably due to a tech aircraft at BHX. That's on a Monday when your business travellers are starting their week, and they won't be happy having to rearrange their schedules or incurring extra costs because of failure to catch onward flights. Under the old regime there was a gap in the schedule of the Island based airframes to deal with such a problem. Oh and the early morning inbound LGW was nearly 4 hours late. There just doesn't seem to be any slack in the daily flying programme or sufficient standby aircraft to cope with the (inevitable) tech Q400.

I said in an earlier post that I don't particularly like FlyBe. That is not to say I don't like their people - without exception so far I have found those who present the public face of FlyBe to be pleasant and good ambassadors for the organisation. But I do find some of FlyBe's business practices annoying - tinkering with the schedules, constructing the charging system to extract the maximum amount of dosh from the less worldly wise, for example. I'm sorry if that upsets the guys and gals working hard to make FlyBe a success. But management can't operate what you refer to a "lifeline" only when it suits them to do so and then expect praise.

pabely
24th Apr 2012, 12:36
Flybe do change things around after published time. I know things do change with schedules but I have family coming over for TT and had schedule changed 3 times by Flybe, even trying to make them pay more after it was fully booked. A quick quote of European Law and they backed down but just because the TT will be a cash cow for them, I do find this very bad customer relations.

IOMspotter
1st May 2012, 08:41
Flybe are definitely having it away on LGW now that LCY & SOU have finished;). Loads have jumped and fares are through the roof but I suppose this makes up for the hit on LPL:E When do we get a jet on LGW from FlyBe? shurely it will be before EZY start up

yeo valley
1st May 2012, 19:05
Flybe adding extra flights from brs for the tt races.

matspart3
2nd May 2012, 19:30
Flybe adding extra flights from brs for the tt races.

...and ditching it altogether in October by the looks of the online timetable?

MerchantVenturer
2nd May 2012, 21:56
Maybe. It was thought that Flybe BRS-IOM was not going to operate this summer and was going to be axed along with the SOU.

Incidentally, some believed that when Eastern ceased flying BRS-IOM a few years ago shortly after Manx2 commenced the Gloucester route it was because the Manx2 fares were considerably lower than Eastern's.

I flew with Flybe from BRS to IOM last week and was chatting with an IOM-based couple on the flight who, in conversation, said they were using the BRS route because Manx2 from Gloucester was significantly more expensive.

Have the fares risen substantially?

PAXboy
2nd May 2012, 22:50
I was very surprised that the original BRS service closed. It provided better acces to the South West than having to use EXE/MAN/IOM or, back in the day, PLH. It was a niche certainly but had a very wide catchment and I always thought that the route had more pax in it than it was carrying. Perhaps the cost of finding that niche was just too great but routes take time to build - as anyone in the airline world knows.

GMIMA
2nd May 2012, 23:41
Heard rumours that easy will start night stopping a 319 next summer? Mmmm early LGW perhaps?

They are rumoured to be lookin at Man IOM as 170,000 PAx carried on that route last year.

Flybe have had it too good for so long, time for a taste of there own medicine

Haven't a clue
3rd May 2012, 10:09
FlyBe are really stuck between a rock and a hard place, aren't they?

Aer Arran's pullout means there are now some 5000 of their former pax wanting to go to/from London who have no choice but to use FlyBe. Does FlyBe have the capacity to carry them? Dunno, but when EuroManx closed it became next to impossible to get seats on some rotations, even at full price. The Friday afternoon/evening rotations were a particular problem. And because the loads will be higher so will the ticket price. So the Manx public will no doubt become vocal in their criticism, and the politico's will jump on the bandwagon and demand FlyBe provide more capacity.

But these are the same public and politico's who have encouraged Easyjet to start on the LGW route in October. Even if FlyBe could find an additional airframe and a pair of LGW slots, why on earth should they bother?

Of course they might deploy an E195, but there isn't one available, and the locally based crews aren't (I assume) qualified to fly it. Maybe they could use one to operate the mid morning/lunchtime rotation from LGW, and use the local Q400 to replace whatever the E195 was doing before. But that would screw up the rostering.

It will be unfortunate to see FlyBe's reputation suffer during this summer at a time when they need all the goodwill they can get to deal with the soon to arrive Easyjet competition.

IOMspotter
3rd May 2012, 10:46
I heard EZY would be night stopping so they can do early and late LPL as timings would suit then for the DHSS.:ooh:

Tonyq
3rd May 2012, 11:36
A couple of questions:-

Do EZY routinely night stop aircraft and crews down route, with associated costs?
Would their model support chasing a passengers group who include a proportion requiring assistance, lift on/lift off etc, and accomodate frequent booking changes, often at short notice?

Pizzaro
3rd May 2012, 12:10
Doubt it Tony Q.

Flybe opening new base in EMA, where will those a/c come from? If you get your wish on the island and EASY get those routes , prices will go sky high, A319's aren't fuel efficient on those short sectors!!!! You will also never get the convenient flight times that you get from locally based a/c !!!!
Careful what you wish for Flybe haters!!!!!

Tonyq
3rd May 2012, 13:09
Exactly Pizzaro, I've used that same expression on here myself............an EZY dominated IOM would be a disaster for the local market and businesses from a variety of perspectives.

Haven't a clue
4th May 2012, 10:35
Hear hear Pizarro and Tonyq

But this capacity issue needs addressing. Mrs HAC reported only 5 spare seats on her 1355 flight yesterday to LGW.

So on the back of the proverbial fag packet I reckon there's around 17500 seats to LGW each month (26 rotations of 78 seats per week times 4.3 weeks per month). The combined LGW and LCY reported pax numbers for 2011 (2010 in brackets) were:

June 16,400 (17,470)
July 15,612 (16,848)
Aug 15,129 (15,656)

If the Airport Director is right about her anticipated 5% improvement this year that would give 100% loads for June and 94% for July assuming demand for all flights is even, which of course it isn't. There will no doubt be some leakage to LTN, and to "London" Oxford, but getting a seat on the busy flights at the last minute will be nigh on impossible.

Of course my math may be wrong......

IOMspotter
4th May 2012, 14:52
i could argue that you forgotten LTN capacity but then again it wasnt so long ago LTN was daily so just depends where you start from. Roof racks. thats the answer.;)

Tonyq
4th May 2012, 15:49
HAC - your sums seem fine to me and it looks like BE will have a very busy, and presumably profitable, few months on LGW. Even after October, when EZY seats are on sale, BE's entry level fares have moved up significantly from last winter and the very cheapest fares are no longer available on some flights, on some days.

What to do about overall capacity in the summer months is tricky though.
There are a handful of extra flights in the system for TT period. As IOMspotter has said Luton has been reduced from 2011, so if they squeeze the same number of PAX into fewer flights, that route should do well too, with few empty seats to play with.

They could put a 175 or 195 into IOM, but that would presumably come with some start up and training costs, plus a loss of operational flexibility, with a mixed fleet, and a different ball game next winter anyway, once EZY start flying.

My guess is that BE will just fill their boots with increased loads, and significantly enhanced yield, from all those ex-LCY pax, shed price sensitive leisure pax, who will go to EZY eventually. They'll then see how things play out over the next 12 months or so, before making any material changes to the way they run the route.

jetstreamtechrecords
7th May 2012, 14:19
dont forget that with BE planes heading off to Brussels, East midlands and Scandinavia (Cimber) not to mention the scrap for the bones of BMI baby/regional any aircraft not doing the biz will likely be redeployed onto better alternatives.;) BHD is likely to need another airframe too if Ambrose cant pull a rabit out of his hat by Friday.:E

IOMspotter
8th May 2012, 14:33
LGW is totally chocker every day now but loads of empty seats always on BRS and BHX. Why dont they switch a couple of BHX or BRS rotations onto LGW for the summer:confused:

PPRuNeUser0176
9th May 2012, 08:23
BA City Flyer add a daily weekday LCY flights from 28 May and they will increase to 3 daily flights from 15 June.

Operated by E170 until 15 June and then changes to Saab 2000.

planenut321
9th May 2012, 08:36
Good news for the island after the removal of the route by RE.

Saab 2000 though? :confused: where are BA getting that from?

BAladdy
9th May 2012, 08:40
Saab 2000 though? where are BA getting that from?

Aircraft to be leased from Eastern Airways.

The Saab 2000 aircraft will be painted in BA colour and service provided by BA crew.

pabely
9th May 2012, 08:51
LCY by BA - Prices are good considering you get a free 23Kg baggage allowance! :-)

BAladdy
9th May 2012, 09:15
During the first month of ops BACF will only operate one round trip each weekday.

28MAY12 – 24JUN12

BA3282 LCY1200 – 1310IOM E70 x567
BA3282 LCY1315 – 1425IOM E70 5

BA3285 IOM1350 – 1500LCY E70 X567
BA3285 IOM1500 – 1610LCY E70 5

From the 25th June will increase up to 3 x daily during the week. BACF will also offer a single roundtrip to LCY on a Saturday and two round trips on a Sunday

eff 25JUN12

BA3282 LCY0915 – 1035IOM S20 x7
BA3286 LCY1450 – 1605IOM S20 x6
BA3288 LCY1930 – 2050IOM S20 x6

BA3281 IOM0725 – 0845LCY S20 x7
BA3285 IOM1300 – 1415LCY S20 x6
BA3287 IOM1740 – 1900LCY S20 x6

Haven't a clue
9th May 2012, 12:47
Really delighted to see BA back on the rock.

Be interesting to see what connections are offered, particularly to BA mainline flights. DLR/Tube/HEX, despite the number of changes, can be as quick as LGW>LHR. Will that affect BE's codeshares?

The Shop Floor
9th May 2012, 13:21
Lets see what happens 'after the Olympics' ?.....

sellbydate
9th May 2012, 16:31
Those new daily, year round flights to Oxford (or 'London' Oxford, sorry) kicked off yesterday -

London Oxford Airport welcomes Manx2.com’s first scheduled flightsto Jersey and the Isle of Man

Daily flights from London Oxford Airport toJersey and the Isle of Man got off to an excellent start yesterday (08 May) asthe airport welcomed the first scheduled services to the island destinations. Manx2.com reports that its Oxford route isoutselling its Leeds route by four seats to one with some 2,000 seats booked todate. Forward bookings to both destinations are very strong with the Isleof Man seeing a peak in bookings coinciding with the world-renowned motorcycleTT races, which start later this month.

Manx2.com has pledged year-round services onthe routes with lead in fares starting at just £49.95 to the Isle of Man and £54.95to Jersey (one-way including taxes) with no credit card charges or booking feesto pay and an allowance of up to 10kg for hand luggage. Together with airport parking at £7.50 perday (£35.00 per week) the offerings represent extremely good value short breaks.

Mon-Sat Schedule:

Isle of Man-Oxford dep IoM 10:55 arr Oxf 12:05

Oxford-Jersey dep Oxf 12:25 arr Jer 13:30

Jersey-Oxford dep Jer 13:50 arr Oxf 14:55

Oxford-Isle of Man dep Oxf 15:15 arr IoM 16:25

(Sunday flights depart Oxford at15:30 for Jersey, 18:20 for IoM)

Chris Orphanou, Managing Director of LondonOxford Airport, said: “The launch ofthese two new daily scheduled services from Oxford gives us the opportunity toshowcase the world-class facilities we have here. The combination of London Oxford’s strategiclocation, together with its great road, rail and bus links, makes it the idealgateway for both business and leisure travel. We are delighted that Manx2.com has recognised the benefits of LondonOxford Airport and we’ve recently recruited five new terminal staff as aconsequence of the new flights being established.”

David Buck, Manx2.com’s Managing Director,said: “Our new routes to the Isle of Manand Jersey, via London Oxford Airport, demonstrate our commitment to keepingthe UK’s island communities connected and provide our passengers with theperfect opportunity to travel through a first-class, uncongested airport.”

Tonyq
9th May 2012, 17:12
What have the Olympics got to do with it?

If you are thinking there might be some increased demand to/from IOM, a check on FlyBe availability IOM-LGW in July and August will illustrate that is not so.

The Shop Floor
9th May 2012, 17:37
No, I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying there may be some significant changes to LCY ops post London 2012.

AirLCY
9th May 2012, 17:53
BA changes? Friends in high places with insider info?

BAladdy
9th May 2012, 20:12
Be interesting to see what connections are offered, particularly to BA mainline flights. DLR/Tube/HEX, despite the number of changes, can be as quick as LGW>LHR. Will that affect BE's codeshares?

The BE codeshare will stay in place as feeder traffic for LGW and to offer connex to Nat Exp to LHR.

The BA flights to LCY are quite well timed to offer connections on to BACF's other LCY services. This summer BA customers from IOM will be able to connect through LCY to BA's flights to:

Aberdeen, Amsterdam, Angers, Barcelona, Billund, Faro, Frankfurt, Ibiza, Madrid, Malaga, Minorca, New York, Nice, Palma, Quimper, Stockholm, Zurich and from late September Venice.

They will also be able to connect

rapidman47
10th May 2012, 12:58
Easyjet are to increase their flights from Liverpool to IOM from six to ten weekly:O

Tonyq
10th May 2012, 13:16
Old news........been in the booking engine for 6/8 weeks

flyer19832007
10th May 2012, 15:24
Just got a price for fare with BACF 16th Jul same day return....

Economy.... £145 return but £60 plus change in fare if you want to change flight times.... pretty reasonable (except the charges to change)

Flexible fare.. Same dates, just over £500 to include free flight time changes....

surely an error???

RVF750
10th May 2012, 18:06
And flybe "New Economy" to LGW plus a Victoria train fare would be.....?

flyer19832007
10th May 2012, 18:47
Same day, roughly same travel times.

£230 ( Includes Flights with Flybe on the Red Eye arriving 0820 "New Economy" and Anytime travel card on rail to Include LGW-Victoria, Tube and Bus services)

flyer19832007
10th May 2012, 18:57
On closer inspection with regard to BACF there is a change fee of £60, plus a £30 admin charge for changes over the phone for the economy pricing. (If I understand that economy means non-flexible tickets) Nothing about at the desk for changes.

Standard BA pricing no doubt.

I stand to be corrected, just what I read from the T's and C's off the website.

lfc84
10th May 2012, 19:06
ba.com isnt the cheapest place to book :cool:

thank me later

manx crab
10th May 2012, 19:51
You cannot really compare fares on a like for like basis as Flybe's have been on sale for months so logically the best fares have gone on their flights.

Personally, I find LGW way more convenient and better value to get into central London, I very rarely pay more than £5 single and the Southern trains are much nicer than the DLR.

flyer19832007
10th May 2012, 20:15
@manxcrab

Agreed and your point is very valid.

I was simply comparing out of interest. Overall I think what you are getting with Flybe with the new Economy in terms of flight changes/choice of departure times etc is actually far better when comparing directly with the BACF "Flexi" ticket which offers essentially the same product costs over £500.

I suppose you get what you pay for!

IOMspotter
20th May 2012, 19:54
The big delays today were caused by a FlyBe Q400 that had to return to IOM because it's undercarriage wouldnt retract. The runway was closed for 20 minutes while they had to tow the plane off so lots of 2-3 hour delays.

BE819 Manchester BE Flybe 18:00 Landed 20:47
AF6422 Manchester AF Air France 18:00 Landed 20:47
EY730 Manchester EY ETIHAD 18:00 Landed 20:47
BE606 Liverpool BE Flybe 18:05 Landed 20:03

BE608 Liverpool BE Flybe 20:35 Estimated 22:05
20:08

globetrotter79
20th May 2012, 19:59
Is there not still a secondary (cross) runway in use at IOM?

RVF750
21st May 2012, 13:49
Yes, but with an emergency you lose fire cover until the area, etc is secure. The delays come because flights due to take off are stopped and slots lost, etc. You simply cannot switch to the second runway as it is a secondary, non instrument and shorter runway which not all aircraft are able to use anyway.

smith
21st May 2012, 15:22
BE819 Manchester BE Flybe 18:00 Landed 20:47
AF6422 Manchester AF Air France 18:00 Landed 20:47
EY730 Manchester EY ETIHAD 18:00 Landed 20:47

These three flights are all the same flight at it is a code share flight so there were only three flights delayed in total.

RVF750
22nd May 2012, 15:23
...And both LPL flights would have been operated by the airframe that had done the LTN. Hence they needed another hull positioning in to allow that line to continue.

IOMspotter
26th May 2012, 16:24
some 5 hour delays today with two aircraft tech.:{ BHX plane doing a triangular down to BRS first. Looks like lates and an extension tonight:*

BE813 Manchester BE Flybe 12:25 Due at 17:15
AF6418 Manchester AF Air France 12:25 Due at 17:15
EY7033 Manchester EY ETIHAD 12:25 Due at 17:15
BE498 Bristol BE Flybe 15:50 Estimated 20:05

IOMspotter
26th May 2012, 16:27
Has anybody seen the airport passenger numbers for April yet? usually when they are late it means theys down:{

RVF750
26th May 2012, 16:31
One of the tech a/c was caused by being hit by the wheelchair machine. Poor driver went to hospital and hope he recovers ok.

Not ideal for start to TT!

Again, despite these problems Flybe are doing their best to get everyone where they need to be, rather than simply cancel and say come back tomorrow.

IOMspotter
26th May 2012, 16:36
Good point D & T. What happened on Thursday when the EZY couldnt get in due WX. Did they can and rebook or try again later.:confused: I was home by then.

Tonyq
27th May 2012, 11:07
Oh dear......sounds as though the 'big girl' will be getting her cheque book out when the bill arrives from FlyBe......:{

IOMspotter
27th May 2012, 16:50
Yessir just seen the hole in the skin. :{The aircraft is parked well away on the Eastern apron under the control tower with the damage out of sight. But a wip round in the loaders canteen wont cover the bill for this.:eek: Driver was checked at Nobles and released OK so thats good news:ok:

Capt. Horrendous
27th May 2012, 16:58
Last time I saw something that bashed it was going round Onchan Park stadium in the end of season demolition derby.

It's not going to be a quick, or cheap, repair.

I'm here all week
27th May 2012, 20:58
Typically, the airport authority has a "hold harmless" clause in its agreement with the airline, which means that it is exempt from damages caused by the actions of its employees.

This means that Flybe and its insurers will pick up the bill for this one.

IOMspotter
7th Jun 2012, 17:02
April was down and May wasnt much better and after todays weather loads of TT fans are heading 4 home early if they can get a seat:{ lots of drowned rats and very wet tents:{

South East route cuts hit passenger figures - Isle of Man Public Services - (http://www.gov.im/lib/news/transport/airport/southeastroutecu.xml)

RVF750
8th Jun 2012, 12:48
G-JECH flew to EXT the other day safe and sound. big shiny patches on the side but it will be probavbly back in service next month.

j41cac
9th Jun 2012, 22:54
What a shame?

I paid for not cheap tickets to get my family over to the Rock only to be let down by a 1 hour delay, but on their return they encountered a 2 hour delay.

Same day on both flights there was not one airline operating in and out of the Rock with one delay???????

Why do we have to continue with some green mickey mouse idiots to rely on running a schedule smoothly?

Who is responsible for the poor time keeping with this rot of an airline?

A complete dismal excuse was given when i called to ask what had happened, in fact, they were rude as hell.

DO NOT FLY WITH AER ARANN

lfc84
9th Jun 2012, 23:12
Some schedule changes for easyjet from early July.

It would appear the Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon evening services will now operate later than originally scheduled

TSR2
10th Jun 2012, 11:43
only to be let down by a 1 hour delay, but on their return they encountered a 2 hour delay.

Disappointing maybe ...... reason for rant, I think not.

IOMspotter
25th Jun 2012, 15:37
May Airport passenger figures match 2011 levels

Passenger traffic passing through the Isle of Man Airport during May virtually matched 2011 levels with 58,915 passengers using the airport, just 35 fewer than in May 2011. Whilst this is the second consecutive month that there has been a small decline, this did not come as a surprise given that for almost the whole month, the popular London City route was not operated, nor was the Southampton service. It was only from 28 May that British Airways started their new service on the London City route with a single daily flight and this will be increased to the full three daily service from 25 June.

Last year nearly 4,000 passengers flew on the London City route and, when it became unavailable, many opted to transfer to Flybe’s Gatwick service last month. As a result the Gatwick passenger numbers were up by 33% with flights averaging 77% full for the month. The launch of the daily Oxford service on behalf of Manx2.com on 8 May also helped to relieve the shortage of capacity to the South East, and flights on this new route were an impressive two thirds full for the first three weeks of operation. The combined affect has meant that South East Traffic actually fell by only 54 passengers during the month.

Ann Reynolds, Airport Director, recognised that May was a month where substantial route changes were bound to affect passenger numbers. “We are actually very comfortable to again be essentially matching the 2011 passenger traffic levels” she admitted. “The lack of the Southampton route, London City service cut, together with other South East service reductions, have effectively meant that well over 5,600 passengers have either been unable to fly or have had to find other air services to use. However, with 3,500 more flying from Gatwick, 580 taking advantage of the new Oxford route, and 200 hopping onto the new British Airways service to City Airport when it started at the end of the month, this shortfall has been reduced considerably.”

Despite the introduction of the Oxford route, both Gloucester and Bristol numbers increased, but the loss of the Southampton route hit South and Southwest totals hard with numbers down 1,250, many again electing to transfer to the Gatwick or Oxford routes. The first flight from Anglesey for the summer was virtually full and the new Norwich service also started on 26th May.

Again the Northwest dominated the increase in traffic with over 1,850 more passengers using the Manchester and Liverpool routes. Liverpool saw a 12.7% increase with easyJet up by a third and Flybe also seeing an increase. Charter numbers were significantly down, this being due to many of the first departures to the Mediterranean departing in the first week of June rather than the end of May, so June charter figures should reflect this positively. Indeed, overall, IOM scheduled traffic saw a slight increase of 159 passengers over May 2011.

Departmental Member for Ports, David Callister MLC, is optimistic about the performance of the Airport passenger traffic as the year progresses. “Whilst I recognize that the new services – including the British Airways London City route – will take a little time to grow to their full potential and the next few months will reflect that, the signs are that people are still anxious to make the air trip and this is encouraging,” he said. “I am therefore optimistic that we will see a gradual improvement in passenger numbers during 2012, particularly towards the end of the year.”

Haven't a clue
21st Jul 2012, 08:40
On Tuesday at lunchtime there were two Eastern Saabs parked at Ronaldsway; neither painted in BA colours. On Wednesday there were also two, however this time one was the BA painted aircraft sitting on stand 3 with an engineer's van next to it. Similar time Thursday again two,and again the BA aircraft was parked on stand 3; with the Eastern liveried aircraft ready to operate the 1300 LCY departure.

This morning the LCY departure is delayed for some 3 hours (hopefully it will make it to LCY before the curfew) and as the wx seems ok it must be a tech problem. LCY shows everything moving there (and reports the IOM flight as "on time"!) To be fair flights during the week have been operating on time.

There's another thread running on Eastern referring to unhappiness among it's people and also to frequent tech problems with aircraft. The number of Eastern aircraft covering for the BA painted Saab suggests it isn't the most reliable airframe in the fleet. Indeed it even went tach for it's inaugural flight.

Now I want this route to be successful - I flew each week of the first month of operations on the E170. I've also flown on the Saab, although I confess it was a disappointment after enjoying the E170 experience. However LCY is expensive - departing pax are charged some £40 against LGW's £8 or so - and this will be reflected in the ticket price. Currently it seems there is no charge from Ronaldsway, which presumably is a first year sweetener.

But I'm wondering whether Saab reliability is or will become an big issue, as we saw with RE's ageing ATRs, and will deter regular travellers (who notice these things) from using it.

Which would be a shame.

Richard Taylor
21st Jul 2012, 08:52
One thing's for sure - they may notice the malcontent in the Eastern thread! Professionalism sadly seems to be lacking for some of them judging by the quality of the posts. One thing to air your views on rostering, salary etc - quite another to advocate the acquisition of baseball bats - however 'tongue in cheek' it was meant to be. Too much willy-waving; not enough getting on with the job.

Hansol
21st Jul 2012, 09:03
The need for the aircraft and crew to be equiped for, and certified for, LCY's 5 degree approach make the problem a lot worse when one goes tech.

jamestkirk
21st Jul 2012, 10:09
No one is more frustrated with the tech problems on the IOM than the crews.

Phileas Fogg
21st Jul 2012, 13:28
The Saab 2000 remains the world's most advanced 'fly by wire' turboprop ... any unreliability is surely down to the operator's lack of spare parts and/or unwilliness to put hands in pockets in support thereof!

jetstreamtechrecords
10th Aug 2012, 15:03
I hear our SAABs are now doing a cracking job down on fraggle. BA are chuffed and reckon they are already doing better than Arran on pax loads despite having to rebuild the order book from scratch.:ok:

Tonyq
10th Aug 2012, 16:42
I used the LCY service last weekend for a last minute Olympic trip. Got two seats on my Avios (BA Exec. Club) for £27 total, booked only 4 days before. Great flight and service, with hot breakfast, (forgot such things existed after using BE to LGW for so long), 80%+ load and arrived at LCY 20 minutes early. :ok:

All that said, the cash fares are not really geared to the leisure traveller, so won't be doing it too often. Back to FlyBe and Southern Railway!

IOMspotter
23rd Aug 2012, 17:44
Sorry to see Logie cut the winter GLA to only 4x weekly for this winter:{

IOMspotter
28th Aug 2012, 07:30
Fun and games on Sunday night when Shell refueler went home early.:{

Flybes late BHX needed juice but shell were at home watching the telly. The last BHX sector had to be canned and 30 pax HOTACed. The subbed in F50 was then stuck here due to the crew out of hours so at least we got a nice shiny new jet yesterday:ok:

IOMspotter
10th Sep 2012, 16:09
The rumours over the bacon batch today was a nice new BE Embraer jet arriving soon to take on EZY on the LGW:D

tirpitz
12th Sep 2012, 10:59
IOM Spotter -

I think you will find that Shell actually left on time in accordance with the times published in the UK AIP.

It was Flybe/Denim/Flight Support (or whatever they are called this week) who failed to ascertain the fuel requirements and advise Shell beforehand that they would be required to stay!

Shell are good but they do not have a crystal ball!

Capt. Horrendous
12th Sep 2012, 20:06
Any former Manx Airlines employees who fancy coming to the reunion Bash in Douglas on Nov 3rd Email [email protected] for info.

IOMspotter
26th Sep 2012, 21:32
Isle of Man airport figures fall for third month

Factors including the Olympics and poor summer weather have attributed to the shortfall

Passenger figures for the Isle of Man's airport have fallen by about 3% for a third consecutive month, according to government statistics.

Almost 64,000 passengers used Ronaldsway in August, nearly 2,000 fewer than the same month in 2011.

Airport Director Ann Reynolds said she was "disappointed".

UK Civil Aviation Authority figures show that two thirds of airports in the British Isles suffered decreases for the months of July and August.

According to their figures, 36 of the 58 reporting airports in the British Isles suffered decreases in August, including the Isle of Man, and three quarters of these airports saw greater declines than Ronaldsway.

Factors including the Olympic and Paralympic Games and the poor summer weather have also been suggested as causes.

Miss Reynolds said: "The reductions of 3% concerned me, although I learnt of a similar pattern emerging with UK regional traffic as a whole.

"Looking at how UK and Channel Islands' Airports have performed during July, primarily due to the 'stay-home' impact of the Olympics, I remain comfortable that we are still keeping pace with the overall trend of air traffic performance."

August saw small decreases in Isle of Man passengers across many routes, with the major impact coming from the withdrawal of the Southampton route, which had generated more than 1,800 passengers in August 2011.:{:{:{

Haven't a clue
28th Sep 2012, 09:54
Mixed messages reported here on the island.

Chief executive of London City visiting the island earlier this week urged support of the route "to ensure its continued operation"

Three FM News (http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/airport-boss-urges-support-of-london-city-route/)

Whilst the GM Commercial for BA at LCY says "if interest increases there may be scope to introduce a fourth flight"

Manx Radio News (http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=61705)

It does seem though to have been a success so far, but as a frequent user I thought we were spoilt by the E170 for the first month of operation. No disrespect intended to Eastern and the Saab, but I'd love to see the pax numbers justify it's return. The Saab is quite noisy and there's little room for any hand baggage. (It's like going back to the G-OJET/G-MABR days).

Whether the economics permit or indeed where that airframe might come from though is another issue.

Interestingly FlyBe just sent me a survey focussed on London as a destination, asking inter alia which London airport I preferred and what factors, including aircraft type, do I consider when selecting a flight to London. If they are looking to put a jet on the Gatwick route, and easyJet are operating A319s then the turboprop may look dated.

IOMspotter
17th Oct 2012, 16:29
i see flybe are chopping a Thursday BHX rotation for the winter and some wednesdays for the new year. Looks like a bit of chopping has happened on LGW AND LPL as well from the original plan but its just more like previous years now.

Doesnt look to me like EZYs new lGW has increased pax numbers overall just spread the same pax over more flights and diluted BEs BHX & LGW, BAs lCY and manx2s OXF :{

Tonyq
17th Oct 2012, 18:43
We'll need to wait a month or so to see the official figures, but the scenario you have outlined was entirely predictable.

The market between IOM and London is nowhere near as elastic as IOM-LPL (where large numbers of pax can be attracted from the ferries), so unless EZY's fares attract fresh inbound tourist and VFR traffic, I doubt they'll bring much genuine growth for the embattled directoress......:O

reportyourlevel
17th Oct 2012, 21:02
so unless EZY's fares attract fresh inbound ... VFR traffic

Sorry, what?

Ringwayman
17th Oct 2012, 21:12
Visiting Friends and Relatives

reportyourlevel
18th Oct 2012, 13:33
Oh. Visual Flight Rules is what it stands for in most cases I've ever seen, hence my confusion.

mathers_wales_uk
18th Oct 2012, 14:01
Visiting Friends and Relatives
Visual Flight Rules

These are both correct and accepted abbreviation in the aviation industry. Of course Visual Flight Rules are what you follow while in the cockpit however when talking about traffic trends and routes Visiting Freinds and Relatives are used.

Haven't a clue
18th Oct 2012, 14:39
Remember when there was a Banderante (the one preserved at the island's aviation museum) operating to and from Blackpool VFR at 2000' and no doubt carrying several pax also VFR :E

I think the LETs used to do that as well, but dunno whether they still do.

Ransman
18th Oct 2012, 17:15
A LET410, Manx2, had an in flight shut down due low oil pressure in one engine, aircraft landed safely and pax transfered to stand-by a/c to continue their journey. One elderly pax needed follow up treatment due delayed shock :ouch:
Good job done in my opinion by the crew, s/e approach in a light twin, not the easiest thing in the world. I get to practise this scenario regularly in a sim, and never had to do it for real, not sure these guys get sim practice! Well done. :ok:

IOMspotter
2nd Nov 2012, 16:18
from press today....

The number of passengers using the Isle of Man Airport fell sharply in September. Around 59,500 passengers passed through the terminal whereas in September 2011 some 64,300 used the Airport, a decrease of over 7.5%. Whilst a fall in traffic was expected, as last year hundreds of Commonwealth Youth Games visitors had to switch from sea to air travel as poor weather cancelled ferry departures, the decrease turned out to be significantly greater than anticipated. Over 4,800 fewer passengers used Ronaldsway, the largest fall in traffic since the winter storms caused a drop of 8,100 in December 2010 and the lowest September throughput for the Airport since 1996.

The September figures were greeted with disappointment by Ann Reynolds, the Airport’s Director. “After an unexpected boost to traffic in September 2011, I was expecting a slight decrease for last month, but the outturn is a far greater drop than anticipated.” she said. “Again, I have looked at how UK and Channel Islands airports performed last month and the provisional UK CAA statistics showed that two thirds of them also saw decreases. Moreover some significant airports, such as Belfast City, Liverpool and East Midlands had decreases greater than the Isle of Man. In addition, I have looked at how our traffic decrease is spread throughout the routes and regions we serve and it is clear that the slump in passengers is pretty well across the board.”

Excluding the new Norwich and Oxford routes which started this year, only the Bristol service, which showed a very slight increase of 0.5%, and the British Airways London City route, saw positive results. Indeed the BA London City route carried nearly 850 more passengers that Aer Arann did on the route last year, a 22% increase. The new routes to Oxford and Norwich continued to do well adding between them some 860 passengers to the total.

Of the remaining services on the Island’s network, Liverpool suffered badly with a 1,760 passenger decrease, falling 11.5% over 2011, much of this due to the traffic diverted last year from the sea crossing. Another massive impact was from the withdrawn Southampton service which last year generated over 1,700 passengers. In addition, Birmingham passengers fell by 16.6%, Edinburgh by over 11% and Luton, which also is a reduced frequency, by over 25%.

Regionally, whilst the North West saw a significant fall of over 2,200 passengers – some 7.7% - the London traffic actually increased overall by 2.4%, helped by the London City and London (Oxford) routes. The South and Southwest traffic was hit hard by the withdrawal of the Isle of Man to Southampton service earlier this year and fell by 46%. Numbers travelling to the East and North East of England were boosted by the highly successful Norwich service and rose by almost 14%, whilst Scotland saw a decrease of 8.3% and the Midlands traffic fell by 16.6%.

IOMspotter
2nd Nov 2012, 16:19
I hear EZY are increasing the lGW service to daily next summer;)