PDA

View Full Version : Cargolux details requested!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Flightwatch
12th Feb 2010, 21:41
TT - nope.

However, just bear in mind that 2 more aircraft doesn't necessarily mean a need for 2 more sets of crew. If you just increase the frequency on current routes so that say there are 5 rotations a week instead of 3 it just means that the crews are laying over for a shorter time than before and the crew rotation is also shorter. Consequently, instead of say doing 2 x 10 day rotations it would be possible to do 3 x 5 day ones instead. This is pure speculation of course but is just to point out more aircraft doesn't necessarily mean shed loads more crew. Similarly the reduction of 2 frames last autumn didn't throw 20+ crews on the scrap heap.

worn-out-bushing
13th Feb 2010, 08:07
Hi Flightwatch,

CV is running that policy for a long time already, but it only works to a certain extend. Crews also need rest and since about 7 years, they don't hang out 5 days everywhere anymore. But as in almost every airline, hiring won't start until it's almost too late and A/C stay grounded for lack of drivers.

Once hiring starts again, they realize that the skippers doing training all of a sudden miss on the the line, which makes the situation even worst then.
It will be entertaining to see.

My bet to all wannabees: It will kick off soon!
:ok:

WOB

L1011-500
14th Feb 2010, 20:55
Wish that could be true. Really want to join.
Rated, current, hours on type, licensed, avail on short notice.

ohh well, fingers crossed

L1011-500
16th Feb 2010, 21:54
I am afraid not. Too bad though. Could be ready on the line for them in a month or so with less cost.
Well got to join the qeue I guess :rolleyes:

Bluebird
19th Feb 2010, 13:34
Are there any more rumours regarding two aircraft to by dry-leased, as in when they are expected to join the fleet and where they will come from?

All the best!

16down2togo
21st Feb 2010, 11:37
Wow,
we finally found the one who thinks there are enough pilots for 16 a/c, that explains all the blank days now that there are only 14!
What is your management position, must be highly successful there!

The ghost
22nd Feb 2010, 07:55
I would be extremely surprised if Cargolux would start hiring pilots again soon. In 2009 the company was basicly bankrupt and had to be saved by the shareholders and the state. I think the shareholders will be very cautious to expand the operation again any time soon. There is talks of reducing fleet size as well. Good information is hard to get though so it could go either way I guess. Good luck to everybody!

alkor
23rd Feb 2010, 11:13
well, on ppjn there are a positive news. accordingly there should be vacancies in April 2010.

Cargolux jobs, payscales and entry requirements. (http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/jobs/Cargolux)

bye,
ales

Bluebird
23rd Feb 2010, 15:34
Latest info from Interpersonal.de

Actual recruitment situation - updated in February 2010:

- cargolux actually has no vacancies for pilot's positions at this time!

The ghost
24th Feb 2010, 07:47
by the way, anybody can post something on ppjn.com, there doesn't have to be any truth in there...

Let's hope the market will recover soon!

Bae
26th Feb 2010, 13:00
Interesting article here: Strong start for air freight out of Asia - International Freighting Weekly (http://www.ifw-net.com/freightpubs/ifw/features/strong-start-for-air-freight-out-of-asia/20017753134.htm)

Especially on page 2.

KDC10
9th Mar 2010, 18:10
only 747 rated people will be hired. Until further notice...

Bluebird
9th Mar 2010, 21:11
Where does it say that they will only hire 744 rated pilots? I know for a fact that there are a few pilots in the holding pool that are not rated on the 744.

MD11F
10th Mar 2010, 06:59
Hi folks, i know this is a rumour network, but, why donīt you just call hr of cargolux and ask them??:) Rgds MD11f

KDC10
10th Mar 2010, 10:41
Info came from Interpersonal. Non-typerated pilots are hopefully able to take part of the recruitment process end of 2010.

HossaJose
10th Mar 2010, 11:11
I heard that so far they gave every new guy (or girl) a rating. Even if you came with a 744 rating you still had to do the whole course...

Flightwatch
10th Mar 2010, 15:13
Received today from an agency. Could it be anyone else?

XXXX, in conjunction with our client based in Europe is currently sourcing Boeing 747-400 First Officers, unfortunately at this stage our client does not want their identity disclosed. The start date of this assignment is May 2010 for a six month duration (with possible extension). Our client only First Officers.

To fulfil your application, we require the attached document completed in full.
Please ensure you advise all your flying experience with last date of flight each aircraft flown.

The minimum requirements are as follows:-

* JAA ATPL with current and valid B747-400 rating

* JAA Class One Medical

* Minimum 2000 hours Total Time;

* Minimum 500 hours on the Boeing 747-400

* Have flown the Boeing 747-400 within the last six months.

Once our client provides feedback on your application we should be in a position to advise their identity. Should you be selected by our client I will require further documents to be emailed.

I would appreciate if you could pass on to your colleagues who you feel maybe interested

FCS Explorer
11th Mar 2010, 12:03
CARGO B AIRLINES (http://www.aircharterguide.com/Cargo_Info/CARGO_B_AIRLINES/97211/BRUSSELS/66671)

AIR CARGO GERMANY (http://www.acg.aero/)

at least the latter was recently looking for FOs

Coto
11th Mar 2010, 12:31
Went bankrupt on July 7th (source Luchtvaartnieuws: dagelijks actueel luchtvaartnieuws (http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl))

16down2togo
12th Mar 2010, 23:06
To ask for the smelly, dusty rooms disqualifies you from using the search function, young man. If for anything you will not find a finer outfit than this. A lot of the the majors would love to stay at CV Hotels. Stay away from CV if you haven't figured out that life is not to be 08-15, monday to friday, please, please!!!!!

sengasengana
13th Mar 2010, 13:58
To ease your pain a little:

D/H is usually by CV planes, occasionally by commercial airlines (business or better says the CWA) and to my knowledge only Maastricht to Luxembourg is occasionally done by a contract transportation by car. Coupla times a month occurring event (d/h that is...)

Immigration via crew channels, hardly ever a hassle, well taken care of and prominent airlines as well.

Hotels are almost without exception city center locations, couldn't be happier, there's an active hotel committee taking care of this.

You mention your age and experience, joining as an FO, expect more than ten years for command. All the new hires during the last years have been max close to thirty years of age.

Duty times are as per CWA which is more limiting than EU OPS or national legislation.

Trip might internally change, but usually you get home when you're supposed to, no financial gain from roster changes to the crew member.

CV fits for younger guys and girls, still a very much a career airline IMHO.

Hope this helps some.

ss

rwy24center
13th Mar 2010, 23:58
@waka
may be you should waste a minute on reflecting what is really important when flying longhaul.
for example if it is fun to fly with YOU for 11 hours non stop...? :rolleyes:
good luck!
rwy24

highflyer321757
14th Mar 2010, 07:27
Anybody out there can confirm the rumour that some candidates from Iceland(air) have been offered a starting date recently?

HF

austrian71
14th Mar 2010, 17:55
As wakajawaka asked serious about the conditions within the company I cant understand why he gets these kind of answers like "stay away from aviation". Its a sign of missing respect and maybe hiding some elementar problems within the company.Thats not ok, to thread anybody in that way . Most probably the conditions are bad and on a low standart, otherwise there would be another culture of discussion.:ugh:

Flightwatch
14th Mar 2010, 19:58
Let’s take a step back here guys. No point in name calling and insinuations.

Waka – as has been pointed out almost all your questions could have been answered by using the search function and inferring that CV pilot’s stay in dodgy hotels in bad parts of town is somewhat insulting – no? Had you asked your questions in a less confrontational way then I am sure you would have received more polite answers.
In this case the answer is that CV stay in the same standard of hotel as any major and are normally down-town, if you are in a country/city here the only hotels are substandard then there isn’t much any company can do about it – try finding a 5* hotel within 500 miles of Petrolinas.

Otherwise you will find pay and conditions as good as you will find outside the flag carriers with one proviso. CV is a freight carrier and as such is very good at adapting their schedules to respond to market requirements. Unlike pax freight will not complain if it routed ū the way round the world to get to it’s destination so routings may be changed at very short notice thereby disrupting the crew rotations. Hence, the roster usually cannot be classified as stable.
My observations are that if you intend to join CV as a commuter then it would be wise to consider your lifestyle very carefully. You will have 7 days off guaranteed (1 rest + 6 off) but your 4 day block (3+1) may be reassigned at any time between roster publication and the given days. Some can deal with this happily and to some it is a major problem. Also bear in mind that Luxembourg has limited connections to other European cities and there is no staff travel other than with Luxair, cheap tickets are usually unchangeable or at a fee so if you are delayed then you may have to pay big money to get home.
The happiest crew members are those who are prepared to accept the Luxembourg/Trier lifestyle and make their lives there. Good luck in your deliberations.

Austrian 71, sitting at your computer pontificating on matters of which you clearly know nothing and trying to tell people how to respond on an internet thread is less than helpful.

sengasengana
14th Mar 2010, 20:15
Freight dogs are usually a special flock of birds and require a special kind of mindset in order to survive the day to day operations in a multiple sector trip environment. Ops support in various stations is not always on the par with flagcarriers' main destination support and requires independent thinking and confident problem solving to get things moving. People at CV can do that with a long history of success.
This wouldn't be one of the most active threads unless people knew how it is at CV and were interested. A little research goes a long way - again. And if someone wants to know in his/hers own personal way and if someone wants to challenge that, it's ok. If I'd buy a house or change employment, that's what I would do too, but I won't, cause I don't wan't to, so I shan't...

To say about CV: "Most probably the conditions are bad and on a low standart" only categorizes you as a 'not on the ball' person in aviation.Let's do our homework and leave it to that.
Exit right...

ss

14th Mar 2010, 21:59
Hello there.

All arguments aside, does anyone have any further info on if they are hiring any more pilots? I saw someone commenting on Icelandair pilots? Cargolux has or at least had very strong roots to Iceland, and they probably have a tall stack of resumes from Icelandair copilots, since Icelandair has a long list of "summer" pilots, geting the wintershaft for at least the 4th or 5th time after the coming summer. (no disregard to Icelandair pilots, they have a very high standard from all aspects, and are hard working) Does anyone have any info on the general background of the newcomers to the company? Is it mostly pilots with jet experience or do they also recruit turboproppers with the slightly higher min hours to qualify?

Regards - 1975

Flightwatch
14th Mar 2010, 23:22
1975. The answer to your question is hard to quantify. In the past 9 years that I have known CV the entry qualifications have varied enormously. In the early 00s when CV was in a time of rapid expansion then there were quite a few turboproppers employed but this was in a time when there were not so many pilots looking for jobs. This applied particularly to the military Transall guys and there are quite a number now who are Captains or SFOs approaching upgrade. Latterly, to my knowledge, only guys with jet time have been employed. As we all know there is a shortage of jobs so the company can be more selective and clearly if you are looking for someone to crew a 4 engined heavy then jet time is more desirable.

Also during the expansion, times to command could be no more than 2.5 years for those with the right experience. Bear in mind that this has now lengthened to 10 - 15 years if you are lucky and you will see why younger pilots are usually employed – in the 00s age at hiring was anywhere between mid 20s and mid 40s, the latter would in all likelihood now be permanent F/Os.

The back ground of recruits is varied and include many from charter carriers, current and defunct, bankrupt companies (SN and LX/SR in the past), those returning from the sandpit/far east and those who cannot see a career in the LoCos doing 900 hours shorthaul a year until retirement.

However, if you meet the requirements posted on the website then don’t be put off applying, you never know your luck.

cosmiccomet
15th Mar 2010, 12:11
In my case, I have 7,300 plus hrs total time, 3,200 hrs SIC DC10, 2,000 plus hrs SIC B744, JAR CPL IR ME Frozen ATPL (Spain) and FAA's ATPL PIC DC10/SIC B744 and Cargolux is rejecting my application because of the Frozen ATPL.

So, it seems to me that they don't care about the experience...I am already type in their aircraft and with flying experience to all the special airports that they are operating.

arem
15th Mar 2010, 15:50
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it is neccessary to hold a full ATPL (JAR?) to be a P2 on aircraft of the sort of weight a 744 is!. Not a frozen ATPL or a FAA ATPL. Hence the possible refusal by Cargolux.

Uncle Wiggily
15th Mar 2010, 15:54
Cosmiccomet: I can identify with your position. The issue to HR or the outsourced company that processes applications does not understand the complexities of licensing, nor do they wish to understand. They are presented with boxes to check and it is black and white to them. In the old days, your CV would have bypassed HR and gone directly to the Chief Pilot, but that was years ago.

Your B744 is unfortunately on the wrong license. I know it is ridiculous, but this is how it is. Technically, you do not have a frozen ATPL, but simply a JAR Comm/ME/IR. Frozen ATPL would imply that you do not have the hours to get the ATPL and that is not the case. If you were to take the ATPL skills test in the B744 sim and then perform the required takeoff and landings in the actual aircraft....then you would have the B744 rating on the correct license (JAR license). Once you have the JAR ATPL then you will magically get your CV past the gate. I know what you are thinking, "if they hire me and then I go through their 744 training, then I can get the ATPL upon checkout. Ya, true, but that is not going to happen....in this market. You can't exactly rent a 744 to do your required take offs and landings either (after sim) to get the 744 on your ATPL license. That would be too expensive. The fact is that you need to get the ATPL. Don't worry now, that your 744 rating is not on that JAA license. Once you get the JAR ATPL, doors will open and ridiculous outsourced airline hiring firms will process your application. Right now, you are no better than the thousands in the pilot wannabe zombie army (in the eyes of airline HR).

Good luck.

llccafr
15th Mar 2010, 17:26
Arem

Weight has nothing to do with the ATPL requirement. It has to do with the operation, augmented crew etc. Also, every new-hire at CV is a captain candidate from the beginning, hence, ATPL license...

15th Mar 2010, 20:47
Hello there.

Thanks for the reply to my post, I agree with llccafr (http://www.pprune.org/members/209034-llccafr) about the statement that this is the kind of company aiming to hire pilots that will stay and commit, and thus varios experience with numerous operators is maybe not the best thing to have, even though you have thousands of long haul hours. Once I was flying with the my chief pilot, and he said something that made a lot of sence, that when pilots are being interviewed, and doing the sim, they are looking more for individuals that they are interrested in molding into their operation, rather than just looking into numbers. I think that is true

Regards - 1975

Sulemanzahidi
18th Mar 2010, 12:18
Dear Pilot be very glad if you are assisting me in finding out how I am preparing for cargolux test and anyone who can give me information kindly about what kind of tests are coming and the whole detailed description of the conduction of the tests and interview.

Further, anybody know latest about if they are hiring and what kind of tests are the interpersonal has.

Pow-wow
19th Mar 2010, 07:41
Please tell me that you are joking Sulemanzahedi !!! Have you read even the last 2 pages of this thread !?!:confused:

the standard one
21st Mar 2010, 09:32
Good morning all
do you know if those who have already passed the DLR GU not too far ago will bypass the computer test at the cargolux assessment?

Regards

austrian71
21st Mar 2010, 12:10
Question:
Is it true that many CV pilots are unhappy due to minimum rest, ****ty roster, eternity to upgrade, and crying due to the fact, that the good old time like it was at the beginning has gone?
Its because, I get the impression there are two sides, the one trying to PR for CV, and the others who tried to join AF and NJE for example , unluckily its not the best time to join.
Please dont feel yourself provocated, I want to believe you, that you are so happy with CV, but from your buddies in CV we heard this kinds of conditions.
Thanks for answers :O
(And yes, I am not the expert of CV, just telling you the thruth about CV pilots opinion)

ray cosmic
21st Mar 2010, 12:48
Yeah its all crappy and bad. Don't apply.
Leave the job to someone who can appreciate being off duty for 180 days a year for a (net) FO salary higher than most captains in Europe, a great network and cool colleagues. Sure it's not always rosy, but hey: its a commercial entity, not some institute which has to pay the big bucks for us to always have the golden life. :hmm:
Moaners found a place in every company, so we are not unique.

LBR
21st Mar 2010, 12:58
Many?
Don't know.
Some?
Yes, there will always be people moaning about anything.
Sure, sometimes you do have minimum rest and a roster which doesn't contain the trips or destinations you were bidding for.
The good old days with long layovers are over.
But, if you don't like it you are allowed to leave.
Nobody will force you to stay.

austrian71
21st Mar 2010, 15:08
@ray cosmic
Misunderstanding, my friend: I dont want to apply, happy where I am , with your CV Cpt salary and 220 days off a year :O - but I agree with you, I hope everybody who is willing to accept your t&cīs should get the seat !
@ LBR
Thx, this is absolutely my opinion as well, the grass is always greener somewhere else :ok:

broomstick76
22nd Mar 2010, 08:13
Excuseme boys...
I did not understand do you have 200 days off a year?
And you earn about 5000 euros as First Officer?
If it is so not bad at all... :ok:

LBR
22nd Mar 2010, 08:22
13 rosters a year, during each you have either 10 or 11 off days.
42 days of vacation a year.
That's already 172 days off minimum.
+ some blank days so you're getting close to 180 at least.
Some consider a couple days in South America as off days as well!
I don't, for me it's hard work ;)

LBR
22nd Mar 2010, 08:55
I'm glad I'm one of them:ok:

broomstick76
22nd Mar 2010, 10:25
ok guys, just few questions..
1. When you say 184 days off I think you have nearly 10 days off every 14 days on, isn't it?
2. Do you have any ticket benefit to move from/to luxemburg?

LBR
22nd Mar 2010, 11:42
You'll have 10 or 11 off days every 4 weeks.
It's either a period of 7 and a period of 4 days or a single period of 10 days.
The 180 days off is the total per year.
5000 euros as First Officer is probably correct.
Depending on where you pay your tax it could be even more.

broomstick76
22nd Mar 2010, 11:54
And do you have any ID ticket with any company?
I know that in some long range carrier you can have 2 kind of stby days: one long (more or less 10 hours) and the other short about 2 hours, it is the same in yours?
And the last question.. do your company pay the 747 type rating?

Thankyou very much in advance.

ray cosmic
22nd Mar 2010, 18:31
Hi Broomstick, for now our main stby travel arrangement is with Luxair. Which will get you back to Turin, Rome FCO or Milan MXP depending where you're from in Italy.
The only kind of standby being used now on a more regular basis is RES; which requires 24 hrs notification.

The typerating will provided in house and paid for by Cargolux.

rwy24center
22nd Mar 2010, 19:31
don't forget the per diem... :O

rwy24center
24th Mar 2010, 21:41
Latest rumours say that CV is not going to hire this year except for a dozen or so 744-rated contract F/Os in fall to cover the 747-8 training slack.
A couple of those guys might be offered a firm contract later.
Rumours...

DrPepper
26th Mar 2010, 14:02
what about guys into CV holding pool?

rwy24center
26th Mar 2010, 14:24
@ fdtd
and how many upgrades in 2010 according to your information?

DrPepper
27th Mar 2010, 08:49
yes the question was about guys already in, (i'm not)

so how many guys already in? 50? how many with the 74?

cawabe
27th Mar 2010, 10:27
Is the holding pool now empty? If not how many still waiting the call? I've registered my application few months ago, how many chances do I have to be called for selection? I'm not type rated on 744 but I have wide body experience. thanks:ok:

KDC10
27th Mar 2010, 12:00
FDTD,

do you expect in the near future more pilots being hired? Or this is it?

Thnx for the info.

broomstick76
30th Mar 2010, 07:56
Can you conferm me that in eurowings 240 people are let down?
As far as i can know they have close some bases but they are hiring pilot all in Dus and they are going to expand their fleet? I think the people gone is because the don't want to change their base, isn't it?:confused:

sled dog
30th Mar 2010, 18:44
broomstick, what has your post got to do with CV ?

Helm737
31st Mar 2010, 08:02
After all these good news lately about training going to start from April (3 classes as far as I heard), has anybody heard something offical?? I am one of the holdpoolers and still it seems to be impossible to find out what is really going on... and this week, the HR and chief pilot office are on holidays?! Surely Easter is coming up, but that's all a bit confusing "knowing" training should start for the first guys from next week?!

Someone with insight able to clarify?? Many thanks + kind regards.

12th Apr 2010, 10:03
Hello there.

Does anyone have any further updates on this?

rwy24center
21st Apr 2010, 14:43
The second course has started.
Now a total of 8 typerated ex-CargoB F/Os in training.

21st Apr 2010, 18:53
Wonder if they will hire any non-type rated?

xavierb
22nd Apr 2010, 02:27
Funny to see that the same old guys (Commited 2 stay, From dusk II dawn) spending so much time on this website, year after year. That tells you how much time they spend in hotels, getting bored!!

Some of the guys here just want to pretend they have the best job on earth. Good for them if they believe it. I left CV 3 years ago, and don't get me wrong, it's not a bad job. If it wasn't the rosters, wich sometimes change daily.. But it's not THE job!!!
Off days: flightwatch tells te true: Fix Off days are a block of 6+ 1 rest every 4 weeks. Not 10 or 11. You indeed get another 4 days Off within the 28 days period, but not fix, can be moved any time.
Salary: When cosmicray says"being off duty for 180 days a year for a (net) FO salary higher than most captains in Europe", that's B.S. Most Cpt salaries in Europe are around 6000 or 7000 €. And a CV F/O, after the first year, can expect 4000.
F/O salary 5000? Not exactly.You don't start at 5000. It would take quite many years to reach that . You start as Jr F/O, with 3600€. After 4 years, I was making (3 years ago, basic now a bit higher, but no bonus..) 4400 + the 13th month+ the bonus, if any. The total was then 5100, after Lux taxes, a year with a good bonus. But that's all included. You also get good and almost free healtcare, education, pension,and child allowances on top.
Still a very decent package, IMHO, but not as good as some guys here say...
Money wise, roster wise, days off wise, you can find better. I did. Same a/c for an asian carrier.
Do I miss CV?
- I miss some destinations: excellent network
- I miss the fact you can take your family with you, for free.
- Of course, I miss some very nice chaps flying there (Hi guys!!)

But I don't miss the soooo many roster changes, the soooo many times I was totally exhausted, the heavy conflict btwn management and pilots, the 10-12 years time for upgrade, the 4 consecutive Xmas away from home (strictly seniority), ... fed up!

So, IMHO, CV is still a good option for those who want to visit the planet and fly the big whale, with a decent income, especially if you are single/ no kids. In that case, you'll like the job, at least for some times.

But you should know there is a life after cv: my quality of life is now much better, the only long lay-overs I have now are at home, more days at home, more money,.....

See you chaps!

X

Pow-wow
22nd Apr 2010, 06:59
xavierb...A lot must have changed in the 3 years you have been gone, because I started 2 years ago, and already earn quite a bit more than your figures...in fact I am getting close to those "Captain salaries" you published for Europe!!!

As you will see in this thread, time and time again, what suits one person, doesīnt necessarily suit the next.
I love this job and think I have a much better quality of life than before, AND I have wife and kids.

Of cause some people will always make a job look better, but then OTHERS will always make it look worse.
I still have to see the aviation job that has perfect rosters and working conditions.
Any job is what you make of it.
I think its great that you changed jobs, because by the sound of it, you were not happy at all. That is, IMHO the time to change, because you will just make yourself and your collegues miserable otherwise !

As for me, as I said, I am very happy here.
Oh, and I am not one of those same old guys you mentioned...happy landings:ok:

rwy24center
22nd Apr 2010, 14:52
@ XavierB

May I ask who you are flying for now?
Did you manage to go to one of the national carriers?

DHC6to8
22nd Apr 2010, 18:24
This is all very interesting and I really appreciate the fact that Xavier has helped clear some air out.... I just want to pitch my own two cents in... I did the selection back in 2006 and I liked what was being offered and the fellows I met seemed to be a good bunch... I actually thought this could be for me and it was offered to me... then, while in the hotel I took a good long hard look at two former colleagues that had gone to CargoLux earlier and I was shocked at what I saw... we are all the same age and about the same physical size... here we were sitting and having a beer and it looked like I was sitting with two old men, one looked half dead and the other looked like a cancer victim.... I saw the paystubs, heard the stories both good and bad... and the one common denominator was that they both felt tired all the time.... and suffered health problems.... I decided after that meeting that I would like to live a little longer, be home for Christmas and watch my three children grow up.... so I said no to the offer and went back home.... sure, it would have been nice to fly the whale... see a little more of the world perhaps.... but being tired and looking like I am half dead did not appeal to me enough to go and earn a couple of Euros more per month... the pay increase just did not outweight my desire to have a life at home with my family and perhaps live longer... people forget that flying the long haul exposes you to higher levels of radiation, longer times of exposure to climaticized dry air etc etc and the crossing of numerous time zones all add up to a posibly reduced life span.... not to mention the empty bed at home sydrome that can infiltrate marriages... the one friend having the beer ended up divorced because his wife couldn't take it any longer... she wanted somebody at home more than what the CargoLux schedule would allow. So, all this boils down to the fact that this life style is not for everybody.... perhaps for some years while you are young and not married... so if it works for you, enjoy it.... I envy those who can make it work.... but, on the other hand, I have a great life that works well with my great job....
fly safe no matter where you are...
6to8

ray cosmic
22nd Apr 2010, 18:55
I think xavier works for KAL, correct?

Sure enough life can be tough, but if I compare with some of my short haul buddies I'm better off. The pay I quoted was after tax in LUX and no bs. Anyhow, with so many pages of info in this thread you can basically figure out the life in CV. What makes a huge difference is whether you commute or not. If you live close by, changes are much easier to deal with and quality time a home better.

HURZ
22nd Apr 2010, 22:22
Iīm now 15 years with this company. The big package is quite good, however like in any company there is room for improvement. Ofcourse, the grass is always greener in the neighbours garden, but when you look closer.... I also considered KAL and EK as an option for change but in EK you are imho just a slave with no rights at all and in KAL (I think much better then EK) you are on a 5 year contract and Iīm still to young for a contractor life. Maybe itīs fine later. I have family and do commute. Commuting works out fine most of the time, but to be honest I have to pay the price and lose 20 + days per year since I decided not to life in LUX. Well, but thatīs the price me and my familiy are willing to pay to life at the most beautiful place (our home). Schedulechanges are part of our business and I and my family got used to it.... It can be a pain in the ass, but never forget who pays your salary and when everything is normal(no crises or volcano) you hardly see major schedule changes. In CV most of us got to know the "spirit of cargolux". This spirit was almost destroyed some years ago, but somehow it came back during the crises and erverybody did whatever he could in order to help out. When you join CV you donīt just join a company, you join a lifestyle that can be very good when you have a partner who understands the CV freight dogs life. When he/she dosnīt understand it might be time to look for a new partner....:eek:
Those who left CV, some to go back to short haul life, others to a LR start-up, most for a "quick upgrade", I fully understand. However it proved that the quick upgrade, most guys were lookin for, didnīt come since some companys got shut down like OASIS (hi xavier Iīm sorry that it didnīt work), or EK could not keep their promis due to recession.
I never regreted my decision to join CV, however there have been times I was somehow unhappy but in the end it returned to the good. Either youīll love or dislike this company. There is no in between. For me the fist applies and CV became more than just the place where I earn my money.... but never forget it can take 5 or more years to adopt to this very special CV lifestyle...

All the best in decision making,

HURZ

LBR
26th Apr 2010, 22:30
So if people spend some time writing about the company they work for and aswering questions it automatically means they are bored?
What makes you think that some of the guys here just want to pretend they have the best job on earth.
Could it be that they really think they're luckey to have the job you walked away from?
Yes, roster changes do happen sometimes.
But hey, I don't care if my Asia trip is changed into a US of A trip.
When they let you work on the floating off days you will get them back in the next unpublished roster.
There's also the often used possibility to get them as overtime which is quite attractive...
Regarding the salary, it really depends on your family situation and where you pay your tax but the numbers shown in this thread are pretty much correct.
Checked my payslips from a couple of years ago and as second year co-pilot I had €4942 gross per month and nett more then what I used to have as a leftseater in a Dutch lowcost company with 16 years of service...
I'm sorry the Oasis adventure didn't work out.
Really didn't expect them to go belly up so soon.
Hope you're happy where you are now.
Is that KAL?

Tank2Engine
27th Apr 2010, 06:08
Good to hear some contrarian points from xavierb and DCH6to8.

As has been discussed by some, flying long haul cargo is not everybody's cup of tea.

For myself it's been a very good move, coming from short haul airline with a rostering practice that was killing me faster than a speeding bullet. ;)

I took a good long hard look at two former colleagues that had gone to CargoLux earlier and I was shocked at what I saw... we are all the same age and about the same physical size... here we were sitting and having a beer and it looked like I was sitting with two old men, one looked half dead and the other looked like a cancer victim....Mind you, these people you'll find in every aspect of aviation. As has been pointed out earlier, a lot has to do with the fundamentals of long haul versus short haul, but a lot also depends on the kind of life you lead. How much partying or sports you do and if you commute or not. Going out for a beer once in a while, or not being a world class athlete is no problem, and neither is commuting, but you have to do it sensibly. That count for both in short and long haul by the way. Unfortunately some colleagues are leading a very unhealthy lifestyle and/or have a hectic commuting lifestyle trying to save pennies by not getting a decent crash-pad near LUX. The later group spends a lot of time hanging around in the ETAP on the airport, counting down the hours (or perhaps even reducing their rest or selling off days!) in order to get back on the next trip again, or they are p!ssed off that they missed the last flight home.

The name of the game is having a good think over what you're signing up for. It's not just about flying a 747 and a reasonable paycheck. Trust me, the 747 is a cool airplane but at the end of the day it's just another big aluminium tube with wings and engines on it. For as far as coming here just for the money: the money is okay, but in many low-cost airlines you can become captain much quicker which will translate into earning a lot more.

Joining CLX is more about a lifestyle that has to suit you. Don't come here if you want to sleep in your own bed every night, have a girlfriend/wife that needs a 'personal assistant' 24/7 next to her side, or you want to have a fixed roster that you can plan lightyears in advance. If you like to see more than just the tarmac of airports, have some sensible ideas about (possibly) commuting, long haul etc and are flexible then Cargolux is the place for you! :ok:

Walter Sobchak
28th Apr 2010, 22:19
Balanced view from Tank2Engine. Sums it up pretty well and works fine for me.
Today Iīll go for a beer though.

whazitdoinnow
29th Apr 2010, 12:25
Xavier is not at KAL.

Pow-wow
29th Apr 2010, 19:49
Hey...it doesīnt matter where xavierb is...as long as he/she is happy...:ok:

fly744
29th Apr 2010, 23:29
By the way guys,what is the net monthly, captains-salary with CV?

burgerking
30th Apr 2010, 17:09
forget about that. No upgrades for a long time now - instead they hire parc contractors and now even a guy with allegedly zero 744 time for the left seat.

feels great for our FOīs

rwy24center
1st May 2010, 01:41
Obviously the guy from ENAC in Italy who is responsible for Cargolux Italia "asked" Cargolux to hire his nephew as DEC.

The Pilot Association is taking legal action.

I can also imagine that not too many Copilots will actually fly with this guy. Either they refuse because it is illegal according to our regulations or they simply report sick in case they are rostered together with this aviation enthusiast.

The ENAC guy will face charges of corruption according to italian law.

Problem solved.

papazulu
1st May 2010, 23:17
The ENAC guy will face charges of corruption according to italian law.

U gotta be KIDDING, right? :eek:

Sorry to rain on your parade, mate but "corruption" and "italian law" are words that CANNOT fit in the same sentence.

PZ :mad:

HURZ
2nd May 2010, 15:18
:= FDTD step on the brakes-NOW. It is only a very few of guys selling their off days.....

If you are bitter talk to the guys yourself.... You know who they are. Or are you really thinking every captain is selling off days???:ugh::ugh:In the end it comes to our management.... to hire or not...

However, the union and F/Oīs have to watch the number of parcies will remain at a "reasonable" level and that the italian Berlusconi mentality does not come to LUX...

HURZ

tungsteno
3rd May 2010, 10:10
aahhhh psandb! thanks god there are still true italian machos like you who keep the name and pride of our nation high all over the world! you forgot to mention that all those who speak again against italians will all find a horse head inside their cars tomorrow morning....:yuk:

GreekPilot747
3rd May 2010, 12:31
Since you guys are having a thread about this over in the italian forum

here: http://www.pprune.org/italian-forum/413917-i-metodi-italiani-non-sono-molto-apprezzati-allestero.html

May I suggest to keep this very informative, more than 4 year old, highly rated thread free of horseheads, saliva and nationalist displays of superiority.

What goes for this thread, should also go for our company. It is a workingplace, where more than 20 nationalities are flying together, professionally and with respect for each other.

We want to keep it this way.

Thank you!

PS: very interesting opinions voiced in the italian thread...

Airbus_a321
3rd May 2010, 14:00
where more than 20 nationalities are flying together,
are there also Italiens among those 20 nationalities...:)

16down2togo
3rd May 2010, 16:49
Yes, and very good ones, and they joined the company the proper way!

lukamia
3rd May 2010, 18:22
Hi PSANDB,
Donīt you think that there are a lot of people "good and ready" in a company with 400 pilots, already in business for 40 years? Usually the nationality doesn‘t really matter on this topic as on some others, too.

Please, keep this post on a professional level as this replies are not helping anybody.
This only leads to respect being lost.....and we do not want that...
If this is OK in your company, please refer to that thread...

batoboe
3rd Jun 2010, 10:41
gone very quite....
no more news? should we assume hiring is complete for 2010?

HossaJose
3rd Jun 2010, 23:22
Yes, and in the meantime we just do the usual thing... we get 2 ACMI 747 flying for us...

HighLoader
8th Jun 2010, 08:47
or they simply report sick

There are too many that "simply" report sick. Like that is going to help anyone. Whatever the reason is (evil captain, nasty destination, ...), it will not hit CC or the company or anyone in management. It is a fellow colleague that will have to take over the trip, most likely having his floating days moved or being taken off a nicer trip. I cannot understand people that on one hand want roster stability, but on the other hand destroy that roster stability for their colleagues, by "simply" calling in sick.

jetlag1969
18th Jun 2010, 15:23
Don`t get me wrong here, I `m totally against DEC`s within CLX.
But why is it "illegal according to regulations" to have this guy flying on the
left seat ???
Which regulations are you talking about and what do you know about this guys previous experience ?

And I totally agree with Highloader.
Reporting sick is not an option. :=
Roaster stability bye bye ...

It`s for the Union to deal with that case.
That`s what they are here for.
And they have been doing a damm good job so far... :D

In the meantime we better stick to the roaster and use our energy to
support the Union !

Jetlag1969

FlightLevel390
20th Jun 2010, 15:54
Has anybody an idea how much a Typerating for the 744 is in Europe?

givmi
28th Jun 2010, 13:31
Just a quick question...how many pilots actually work at CV?

alkor
1st Jul 2010, 19:42
hi,

I ve just read that the parc is looking Captains and FOs (747 rated) positioned in lux,china and LA, 3 year contract.

Could it be cargolux?

cheers,

a

Dr Esteban
1st Jul 2010, 22:34
Would anyone be so kind to post a few example rosters?

Thanks a bunch!

16down2togo
2nd Jul 2010, 15:35
rosters,guys, internals, hmmm why would you like to join. couple of dozends of pages and you can't still make you're mind up?????
It's long haul, your're not gonna be home every night, bunch of the best guys you will ever gonna be flighing with, if you are looking for a left seat saspo,
stay away, please!!!!!!!!

HURZ
12th Jul 2010, 22:37
Are they locals??? I remember the golden boys and girl who did their ATP with LH and got the oportunity to join CV around 2001 after flying 2 years with LG on the 737. Most or all of them were not "Burgers".
I know them all and they do a very good job. They learned to fly Jets on the 737 and thatīs imho the best A/C to learn how to fly a jet......
RC, it is not about where people life, itīs more about how we do our commuting. It has to be done the responsible way. One can life in Timbuktu, but has to report well rested for duty. Most of the time Iīm more rested (Iīm one of the commuters) for a flight than the "locals" are, since I leave my "home sweet home" one day before FLT duty and have a good rest without my kids waking me up 6 in the morning. I really hope our management is geting away from this nonsen asking new hires to relocate to LUX.

@ Couch pot: as RC said, nothing is wrong with hireing LG guys and gals. They have to pass the test and perform according to CV standards. When they have the ádvantage to join CV for flying with LG, itīs OK. CV decides, hopefully in a reasonable and professional way, who they hire........

Happy landings

HURZ

413X3
26th Jul 2010, 19:26
she's looking good. Photos: Boeing 747-8RZF/SCD Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cargolux/Boeing-747-8RZF-SCD/1748155/L/)

Helm737
29th Jul 2010, 12:58
Hello folks.

I was informed about starting Type Rating on November 8 :ok:
Anyone else??

Brgds.

Supahfly
29th Jul 2010, 15:56
Looks like your patience has been rewarded, welcome to the club :ok:
And great news to see CLX is starting training new guys again, we need them!

Good luck on the training,

PS looks like your gonna have to change your alias in December;)

Dr Esteban
30th Jul 2010, 20:36
@ helm737

May I ask when did you apply and when did you have your interview?
Also, did you just fly the 737 before or do you also have widebody experience?

Thank you.

The Doc

Helm737
31st Jul 2010, 19:35
@ Supahfly: thanks a lot. I appreciate your welcoming words... and I can't wait to change my alias :}

@ Dr. Esteban: I was on the waiting list for one and a half years, applied around two and a half years ago... it was a bit of a wait, but no regrets!

I only flew 737NGs. Got 6000 hrs on it by now, 2600 PIC. No wide bodies... so far.

It feels simply awesome to get a go after all... and maybe it makes the job even more special to you after you had plenty of time to reflect about what you really want.

cheers ;)

Dr Esteban
31st Jul 2010, 19:40
Helm737,

Thanks for the info. I guess patience is an important virtue!

All the best in your new job.

The Doc

jetlag1969
31st Jul 2010, 19:59
Hey Helm737,
finally you got the desired call.
Congratulations !!!
See you in our training department :)

Cheers
Jetlag1969

Bluebird
31st Jul 2010, 21:09
I have been offered to start training in september!

Absolutely worth waiting for :ok:

LBR
31st Jul 2010, 22:58
To all who will start this year with Cargolux, enjoy the training!
If you flew 737 before it should be relatively easy.

free863
1st Aug 2010, 20:38
First of all, Congratulations to Helm and bluebird...:ok:
What's the Cargolux interview process like, is it tough?
would appreciate some feed back....
Cheers

flying_saucepan
5th Aug 2010, 16:23
Good luck to you guys! am still in the hold pool, did the final interview early january last year. will be waiting patiently for that magical phonecall :).

cheers,

FrontRunner
6th Aug 2010, 14:32
Congrats to all! :ok:

As soon as you guys are finished with line training you can immediately apply for part time in 2011! ;)

25th Aug 2010, 14:14
Hello there.

Saw on interpersonel.de that there are a few recruitments planned in 2010, can anyone confirm that they are all fininshed or will there be more, how many have been hired this year total including contractors?

Regards

21-Lancer
25th Aug 2010, 19:37
Few minutes ago I filled up my Cargolux application form via interpersonal.de. I also find some Cargolux HR contact information on other website. Would it be a good idea to send a Cover Letter and a Resume via company’s Human Resources webmail too?
Considering that this is my 1st Professional Pilot Application, I think in need some experienced guidance in this matter. Any opinions?

Thank you very much, and good luck to everyone!

Permafrost_ATPL
22nd Sep 2010, 11:22
In case, like myself, you're 40 or over (I just turned 40) it's probably not worth spending time doing the application form. Have the hours, licenses, plenty of Boeing time, etc and just received the "we're not interested" email. Three colleagues of mine with almost identical CVs were invited for selection. The difference? All late twenties.

Looks like ageism is alive and well in Luxembourg! Oh well...

P

21-Lancer
22nd Sep 2010, 14:20
My application was also rejected by interpersonal.de. The truth is that I'm far away from Cargolux Jobs Entry Requirements (http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/jobs/Cargolux (http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/jobs/Cargolux)). And my MiG-21 experience worths almost nothing on the market. That's it! ;)

Permafrost_ATPL
23rd Sep 2010, 10:14
My application has been with them for over a year, so I guess it takes them some time to process them! Got the email a couple of days ago. The three colleagues I was referring to applied about a year before I did and one passed the tests and is in the holding pool. So I don't know if the recent processing of my application is due to imminent hiring or the agency just clearing the backlog.

P

quianor
25th Sep 2010, 06:54
Hello,

I sent my initial application in July, contacted 3 weeks later and got invited for the selection in september. Now i've got a date for interview in a few days. Just above minimum requirements, but in late twenties and living quite close from Lux. It helped for sure.

25th Sep 2010, 14:49
Hello there.

Good news for you quianor, good luck. Looks like things are picking up, does anyone have any further info?

quianor
25th Sep 2010, 18:50
I'll keep you advised. However, if the interview turns up well, I have no idea if it's for a direct or rapid start, or if it's for a hold pool..

RVRRVR
8th Oct 2010, 09:41
Hi,

I would like to know how long it currently takes to move to the left. I know it's very long, but i would like to have a more precise idea (12? 15? 20???)

Thanks

21-Lancer
8th Oct 2010, 10:00
Hello quianor!
Any news?

LBR
8th Oct 2010, 11:58
I would like to know how long it currently takes to move to the left. I know it's very long, but i would like to have a more precise idea (12? 15? 20???)

Based on a fleet of 16 you're looking at approx. 20 years.

hawkeye red
8th Oct 2010, 12:00
@RVRRVR.....I am, as always, amazed to read from candidates who haven't even passed the entrance test yet questioning about the time to command. I must be from a different generation.......:ugh:

Pow-wow
9th Oct 2010, 06:08
I dont find that fact "amazing" at all actually.
Why would you not ask about that ?!?
I would want to know everything I could about a future job. Time to command is part of the descision to go for a job, or not.
You might be willing to accept the command process and time to command, if the overall "package" is good, and suits you.
Should time to command be some closely guarded secret ?!?
All he is doing, is asking. He didnīt say that he was ready for command now already, and could not wait a day longer to get it.
Happy Landings :ok:

FrontRunner
9th Oct 2010, 19:41
@RVRRVR.....I am, as always, amazed to read from candidates who haven't even passed the entrance test yet questioning about the time to command. I must be from a different generation.......:ugh:
True! It must be the current "buy-a-type-rating-with-any-low-cost-airline-and-get-a-command-in-just-3-years" generation. :hmm:

I can understand that time to command is important to every pilot, but let's be honest, it should never be a principal reason for joining a company. The pricipal reasons should be; doing something you like, in a pleasant environment, that allows you to lead the lifestyle that best suits you.

Currently it can can indeed take a long time to command for new joiners, however as all old-timers can confirm, things can improve or deteriorate very quickly in the aviation industry.
Hypothetically speaking, if CLX goes bankrupt tomorrow then time to command goes to infinity, if there's a double dip recession time to command could increase to 40 years, yet if a major competitor goes bankrupt or CLX expands into a new market then time to command might be cut to +/- 5 years. Just pick a number and you can create a "time to command" scenario for it.

All in all, this whole "time to command" is just a snapshot in time, it's the way things are right now, so don't waste too much time on it as nobody can see 5-10-20 years into the future.

Instead, focus on more fundamental things like whether long haul freight flying is something you want to do, or do you want any job that gives you 4 stripes as soon as possible. ;)

Alcione
10th Oct 2010, 06:23
You are very right, my friend !

There is nothing smooth on aviation. Or there is a bubbling market, and time to command is short, or you are in a deep descend whirlpool, where is almost impossible to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Who can guess the future ? No one can make such accurate predictions, so let's be rather positive. Things will be better. We shall not forget that we are living one of the worst crisis since 1929. Lucky us that we have a job in what we like to do.

My sincere congratulations to the new hires. It's fantastic to have you with us.

sisyphos
10th Oct 2010, 07:53
Whoever joins a company WITHOUT asking for the expected time to command is a complete nutter.

10th Oct 2010, 09:59
Hello there.

Does anyone have any info on how many will be hired, lets say in the next six months? When are the wetlease A/C leaving again?

Regards

RVRRVR
11th Oct 2010, 15:01
Hi,

@LBR: Merci pour l'info

@ Pow-wow: That's exactly what I meant.

I'm looking for an airline where I could spend most of my professionnal life and I don't think that asking for time to command is irrelevant.
Thank you however to the other contributors for sharing their point of view...

Enjoy your flights on the B748!

Uncle Wiggily
12th Oct 2010, 11:13
Hi,

Thanks

Hi, are you referring to Peyronie's disease?

sengasengana
12th Oct 2010, 13:22
Ha-haa...

what a cracker...!:D

ss

clippermaro
16th Oct 2010, 07:44
Well, it's funny. The more you read this blog, the more it becomes true that there is no such thing as a perfect Job or a perfect marriage. It is you that make it work and always find the best compromise.
I have been flying for 10 years, started off as a B727 F/O in Latin America, then became a 737 F/O and a "Bus" driver on the 320. I am now a Captain on the 320 in the Asia/Pacific region. My career has taken me to fly all over the American Continent, Asia, Middle-East and Australasia.

And I would give up everything to become a Cargolux F/O.

Every airport you go to, you see a Cargolux airplane, whether in Bogota, Mexico City, Singapore, New York, Hong Kong. And for those of us who are still in love with our profession, despite all its shortfalls and frustrations, it means a lot to be able to fly the best aircraft to all over the place. I personally did not become a pilot so I could see my wife and kids every day, but like I said it is a very personal belief. I like flying, and for those of us who love it, bigger, faster and newer says it all...

My sincere admiration to all those Cargolux drivers. You are "sky's" finest. Every day I go to work, I tell myself..."If I could only join Cargolux..."

flyer287w
16th Oct 2010, 08:52
You are so rigth! :DAnd it's people like you, that we need in our company!

Uncle Wiggily
16th Oct 2010, 18:23
My sincere admiration to all those Cargolux drivers. You are "sky's" finest. Every day I go to work, I tell myself..."If I could only join Cargolux..."

Ummm...Flyer 287....I think you are the sky's finest a million times more...no wait....infinity times more... than Clipermaro thinks you are the sky's finest!

16down2togo
16th Oct 2010, 20:13
Hi Clippermaro,
even though you are over qualified, if it so much your wish to join,
what keeps you from it? As Flyer said, it is guys like you we need!
Is there a licence problem? We have seen a lot beeing possible in
CV if the right, and the wrong, people apply. Give it a try for your
and for our sake if it is what you want.
All the best and take care

Guru8904
16th Oct 2010, 20:31
Ummm...Flyer 287....I think you are the sky's finest a million times more...no wait....infinity times more... than Clipermaro thinks you are the sky's finest!
Uncle Wiggily,
From where did you get this Hons degree in Compulsive Sarcasmology? Looking at your performance all over pprune, it looks like you managed a brillant score. Like hell, I'll be terribly dissapointed if you tell me you missed a GPA of 4.0. Come on! don't get dishearted, you could always do better next time.
I am sorry at the moment there is no vacancy available anywhere for the post of Chief Sarcasmologist or I would have whole heartedly recommended your name.

hawkeye red
17th Oct 2010, 07:14
@clippermaro......

Does daddy know you used his computer......

Hawkeye red

clippermaro
17th Oct 2010, 07:53
What do you mean my "daddy's computer"? Is that a joke? Haha, pretty bad one, I mean, I ain't laughing...Or is it just me? I wish I could sense your humor but...kinda hard, not gonna lie...

I also hold a Master Of Science in Aviation Management, if you really wanna know and was a Safety and QA Officer (not Manager) for some time in a middle-sized airline. But I'm not gonna lay down my CV, probably not the right forum to do so anyway...

Well, I do not have the right to work and live in Europe for a start...

Good luck to you all! Enjoy that flying. Like Singapore Airlines TV Advert says: "The romance of flying still lives on"...at least in a few guys here and there, like myself...

CV747
17th Oct 2010, 14:27
clippermaro,

Obviously you don't know Cargolux...yes, flying the 747 all over the world is great, but a poor managment and very poor rostering department can make your life miserable...

It is a good job, no doubt, but stop the propaganda, it is also very demanding on your family and your health.

Cheers

Tophat320
18th Oct 2010, 09:42
Good morning guys,

I received an invitation for the assesment at Saarlouis, so I took the time to read this thread very carefully. It is a wonderful thread with a lot of information concerning Cargolux.
Since a long time dreamt to work for that Company, finally when I read this thread there is not really doubt about this, but a few more questions to ask.
I hope I will get some answers.

I received some shedules, I know what to expect when working for Cargolux. Normally I will live "at home", which is about 200 km away from LUX. Along this thread I read things like "they will have an eye on you and whether you will move close to Luxembourg or not". It seems to be very important for the company to have the employees around them.
I think with 200 km I donīt have the longest way to go, but for sure it is not possible to reach LUX in 1 hour.
Now the question: I donīt understand for what it is important to reach LUX in 60 (90?) minutes? People before told us that you donīt have much standby-duties, if you are on tour you are far away from LUX and they wonīt call you at the OFF-days. But at which point is it important to be at your base in 1 hours, when do they call you? Ahead of your trips to come 2 hours earlier? On you Floating OFF-days? And do they have after a longer time really a look for your living-place?

Second question is about my worries of the economic situation. I read some bad details along this thread, it was around 2008/2009. Cargolux wasnīt the only company with problems due to the financial crisis. But whatīs today? Economy around the world seems to be rising, what about Cargolux? What I am interested in: For sure there is no guarantee, but at the moment Iīm in a job - not the best one, but I have one - and if I do the decision for Cargolux, is the possibility really big that, after one year, they tell me to leave Cargolux because of the bad economic situation? Or does the company better again?

These are my two questions, very important for me, I would be glad about some answers. Thanks a lot!

Tophat320

gazman21
18th Oct 2010, 10:23
hi guys,
anybody able to discuss or upload a typical roster....
gazman21

Tophat320
18th Oct 2010, 11:59
Hi guys,

I was invited to Saarlouis to do the Assesment the week before.
I read this thread very carefully and itīs great to get such a lot information about working or living with Cargolux. Thanks a lot for this to all posters in the past.

Nevertheless, I got some questions concerning this company.

One wrote along this thread, that Cargolux will now "take an eye on the living place of the employees". They should live around their base. Iīm living about 200 km away from LUX. I know I havenīt the longest way, but at all I canīt reach Luxembourg within 60 (90) minutes. And I think that isnīt enough for Cargolux.
But I also read that you wonīt have a lot of standby-duties, they donīt call you in your off-days and if you are on a tour you are far away from home and LUX.
But at which point this one hour upon call-out is relevant. Do they call the pilots ahead of a sheduled flight to come earlier? Or can they call you on your floating off-days to come?
With this "new" procedure to place pilots around LUX, is it possible to commute?

Second question is about the economical situation. Around 2008/09 in this thread the news about Cargolux werenīt good. For sure due to the financial crisis there were other companies with bigger problems also, but what about today? I have a job, not the best one, but I have one. I know there never could be a guarantee, but if I decide to change to Cargolux, is there a big possibility that they send me home after one year? Or is the crisis over at Cargolux and the future looks more friendly now? Is there an outlook?

And I heard about a union which tries to make the pilots life "more easy". What do you expect of the contracts in the future, is there a tendency that the time you are away from home for 8, 10 or 15 days will be shorter in the future?

I would be happy if anyone can answer this questions to me, thanks a lot!

Tophat320

worn-out-bushing
18th Oct 2010, 13:45
Hi Tophat320,

no worries, 200 km from LUX is good enough. Anyway, after your first year you
will get yourself a Porsche anyway unless you need all that money on a nasty divorce :}
:) :) :)

Haha, stbys are rare, and you will find it ok to commute for 200ks. Callout on Stbys is anyway 2h, just the normal duty call is 1h before check-in, so you won't be able to sleep at home until wake up call, unless you use that Porsche!

Economy seems to be ok, of course nobody can predict the future, but for now it looks more than good, so maybe see you on board soon.

Good luck then and I am sure you will enjoy the big bird!

WOB

Tophat320
18th Oct 2010, 14:22
I donīt understand what the wake-up call means. If there is a flight already published in my roster they call me one hour ahead of check-in? Or can they call me anytime and tell me to fly now? Or do you mean they call me while Iīm already on the way to LUX. So that isnīt a problem, but if they call me anytime and say "hey, be here in one hour" would be a problem.

Itīs good to hear that you think I can buy a Porsche after one year with Cargolux, that means paying is fine.

But first of all I have to do the Assesment and the interview and then make a decision for or against Cargolux. At the moment the job is incredibly stressfull, but I had only 15 overnights and 80 duty days within this year. But never, this is the advantage, more than 3, sometimes 4 days off in a row. That means for the most time late check-out, off, early check-in. So maybe it would be better to be 8 days away and then 7 days at home.

What is the outlook for the future about the length of the various trips?

Tophat320

Tophat320
18th Oct 2010, 14:30
What I donīt understand is what that wake-up-call means. They call you ahead of one of your flights which are already sheduled in my roster? Or do they call me anytime and tell me "be here in one hour"?

And what about the length of the trips, is there an outlook wheter they will get shorter in the future?

worn-out-bushing
18th Oct 2010, 16:18
Wake up call means that out of homebase (LUX) you get a call one hour before check in. The reason is that although you have a schedule the flight might be delayed, so in order to give the crews a chance for maximum rest, you get the call. (Works fine if you live within 30min. of LUX, otherwise people have to work out their own wake up).
Downroad you get a wake up call one hour before pick up in the hotel, same reason as above!

Trips run between 2 days to 16 days. Average 7-8 days. People's preference varies, commuters like long trips in order to not be at homebase for few off days, but not as a rule. Some long trips touch nice destinations while shorty's might be boring, anyway, looking into the bidding system is always a thrill seeing all the destinations and picking your preferred ones then.

One thing though: You might be gone for some time down the road, so if you need to see your family every other day, stay away from the job, you won't like it! Otherwise best job that is around (Imho)

WOB

Tophat320
18th Oct 2010, 18:13
I know about the long trips, I had about 15 overnights along this year - thatīs not much. But I havenīt seen my wife for more than 7 days cause of late arrival and early depature. Itīs different at Cargolux, but a think the overall package isnīt bad!

4Turbofans
19th Oct 2010, 19:59
Hi guys.

Do you CV guys have the chance to fly part-time???

I think its a hard business to fly longrange flights only; especially if you are in a age near retirement.

In my current company a lot of F/Os even fly part time

to enhance their lifes.

Best:cool:

21-Lancer
19th Oct 2010, 20:25
Hi there WOB!

It seems like you know what are you talking about. Do you have any idea of Cargolux hiring policy regarding non type rated pilots?
Currently I’m flying for Romanian Air Force and I have ~500 hrs fast jet fighter experience but I’d like to leave the army and join the civil aviation. As long as I’m familiar with hard working and long time duty shifts, I’m looking for a long term contract with a reliable company and reading this thread, I think Cargolux may be the employer I’m looking for. Working for this company and being inward, how would you weigh my chances?

Best regards and safe landings to all of you!

PH-JPC
20th Oct 2010, 11:16
Recently got the fantastic news that I succesfully passed the selection and will be offered a starting date in the future. :ok:

A big thank you for all the people who were willing to provide me with help, background information and of course all the contributors to this thread!

Tophat320
20th Oct 2010, 17:12
@PH-JPC: I think you passed the assesment just a short time ago. Is there any outlook given how long you have to wait for the rating now?

@all: I heard about a rumor that, at the interview, german applicants will be interviewed in german language, only a part of that interview is in english. Is that true? And what about that 1 hour interview at the end of the day in Saarlouis, is that also in german than?

Tophat320

quianor
20th Oct 2010, 19:18
Received the formal letter today: I'm in!
Just have to wait for a starting date!!

Great!!

LBR
20th Oct 2010, 19:42
Congratulations and welcome on board!

21-Lancer
20th Oct 2010, 20:55
1st of all, congratulations for PH-JPC & quianor! :ok::D
Couchpotatoe -> 21-Lancer
[...] entry requirements, you can assume a minimum of 1500hrs Total Jet >25t or 2500hrs Total Jet <25t!
There might be an age restriction as well, but it seems to be changed depending on the candidate and the experience.
If your age is showing correct with 34years, your experience might be a bit low... [...]

Couchpotatoe, you are right. The correlation between my age and my flying experience is not quite my strong point, and continuing the MiG-21 LanceR flying venture will act in my disadvantage. That’s it! It is not the best way of flying hours gathering, as long as my longer leg ever flew [with 3 external fuel tanks] was about 80 minutes. I’m part of a different kind of aviation and I have to find a way to adapt my experience to your aviation world and to your weighing rules.

PH-JPC
20th Oct 2010, 22:37
@Tophat; No idea how long before training, hopefully soon as the -8 will start to arrive.
There was no more interview in Saarlouis; only the computer tests and the final interview in LUX, which was in English.

@Quianor; Were we together in Saarlouis? Congratulations anyway, hopefully we'll see each other soon (again)! :ok:

Tophat320
21st Oct 2010, 06:57
And are you a german guy PH-JPC? I just heard about that last interview is a mi between german and english. Anyone else who can confirm that?

HURZ
21st Oct 2010, 18:07
does it matter if the inteview is in german by 50%???
CV is an international company..... so you have to speak english.

typical schedule: you can print a pice of paper when the schedule is published, but you might waste paper and ink. Normally your sched gets changed 1 up to 5 times per period.

also here the gras is not greener than in the neighbours yard...

you can be away for up to 21 days as per todays CWA. In general the job is not too bad but be prepared for an non standard operation... you can plan of your 6 consecutive off days but thatīs it. For the rest of it you are property of screwcontrol

About living within 2 hrs of LUX, thats whishfull thinking by the management, but at all not conform to EURO law.

Summary: so far good company but with some major hick-ups

Hope this helps for decission making
HURZ

gazman21
21st Oct 2010, 19:21
Hi
Just wondering what happens if you dont speak German at all?????
gazman21

sled dog
21st Oct 2010, 19:37
Gazman, read post 679 :ugh:

21-Lancer
21st Oct 2010, 20:00
gazman21
non german speaker
Hi
Just wondering what happens if you dont speak German at all?????

Your application will probably be rejected by Interpersonal.

HURZ
21st Oct 2010, 20:46
your language dosnīt matter at all as long as you speak english:ugh:
However you have to have ICAO level 4.

flyer99
22nd Oct 2010, 09:35
Going to IBF Saarlouis myself shortly. Any advice on dresscode for this part of the selection appreciated( final interview would be obvious ofcourse..)

Would 'Smart Casual' be ok here?

Tophat320
22nd Oct 2010, 12:20
@HURZ:

Sure it is an international company, but itīs without doubt more easy for a german native speaker to "sell" himself at an interview. We have to speak english in our job, no question. But with a german surrounding (in the cockpit as well as at home) there is a little bit of routine missing. That was the reason of asking this question.
So, if anyone can give me an answer wheter it is true that cargolux will do the final interview (and as well the interview in Saarlouis) in german - it would be nice!

And I donīt know how long you can be away from your home according to the CWA, but when I read this thread I think that you are not regularly away for 21 days without beeing at home - if Iīm wrong please correct me.
At the moment Iīm flying between 3 and 5 sectors every day, often four days on, one of - thatīs stressfull anyway. Iīm at home very often, but there is nothing more to do than to sleep. And when Iīm on the road I mostly sleep in sheep third-class-hotels.
Sure, it isnīt easy for you and your family to spend the whole life in hotels, but Iīm also sure with my actual job the first stroke is awaiting me in less then ten years.

Thanks for all the coming answers...

Tophat320

By the way, Iīm also interested in the question of flyer99 above. You have to do a medical examination first, so it si strange to come with your tie to that!

Flightwatch
22nd Oct 2010, 14:48
As far as language in Cargolux is concerned then the only one that is essential is English. Whatever language you are interviewed in, at work all procedures are in English.

Whilst native German – in it’s different forms - speakers are in a majority in the company and bearing in mind that most Luxemburgers also speak it fluently, there is still a large minority who do not have it even to a basic conversational level (me for one).

The standard of spoken English varies from level 4 (very few) level 5 (majority) and level 6 (few). I have to complement my colleagues in that even if out socially with a group of native German speakers (or those with a different lingua franca) if there is someone who does not speak their language then the conversation will be in English.

Bearing in mind that all manuals, training and company communications are in English the higher the level of your spoken and written English the easier your life will be. Once on the line your Captain will be from one of 20+ nationalities some of who will have at least conversational German but some who wont. You may be faced with a native English, Danish, Icelandic, Norwegian, Swedish, French, Italian, Spanish, Dutch or Portuguese speaker (plus any I might have overlooked).

Good Luck.

Tophat320
22nd Oct 2010, 15:15
I think the Manuals of all airlines, even ours, are in english. So there would be no problem. The problem is not that I canīt speak english, and the more you speak it on the line the more it would increase. Thatīs the experience I made within a lot of stays in the States.
But nevertheless it is ever better to have interviews in your native language because it is the easiest way to "sell" your package to the company. Later, if they choose me and on the line, Iīm sure it wouldnīt be a problem to speak english I think.
But once again my question: Did anyone whose native language is german experienced that some parts of the interview were in german?

Boxshifter
22nd Oct 2010, 18:02
To make your live easy, just prepare for the "worst" case and expect the interview to be conducted in English. If it will be then conducted in your native language just be happy!

If you are a native English speaking person this question is not a real concern.

16down2togo
22nd Oct 2010, 18:28
Flightwatch passed it on quite eloquently,
thanks for the level 5 for most of us by the way,
it is, and has been, a multy language company and our daily speak is english, although with a heavy german accent by myself and others.
No primaries on your native tounge. No primaries on your language background, nothing to fear, there is no german part of the interview that will threaten you. whoever passes is welcome, as long as he speaks english in a descend way.

worn-out-bushing
23rd Oct 2010, 15:47
Hi 21-lancer,

well, you can check out the requirements on the cargolux or interpersonel website. Type rating is not required, but you need some exp. beforehand. :(

500 h fastjet is probably not enough, but maybe get a job on shorthaul first, anyway, for Cargolux, (and it shows everyday!) you need stick and rudder exp. before you join, coz here you don't learn that anymore!

Otherwise I see no reason why you couldn't join and run a smooth career!

Anyway, good luck and all the best!

WOB :ok:

Rock&Go
23rd Oct 2010, 17:23
Good evening to everyone,

First of all, thanks a lot to those inside Cargolux and some other members for all the useful information posted here.

I am planning to apply shortly and, as an experienced F/O on A320, was wondering if having a full Airbus background would be seen maybe not so "desirable" at intial application stage given the difference gap between both, Boeing and Airbus, philosophies? Or is it not so uncommon to find newcomers arriving with no Boeing experience?

Thanks once more in advance!

21-Lancer
23rd Oct 2010, 21:26
Hi 21-lancer,
well, you can check out the requirements on the cargolux or interpersonel website. Type rating is not required, but you need some exp. beforehand. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/sowee.gif
500 h fastjet is probably not enough, but maybe get a job on shorthaul first, anyway, for Cargolux, (and it shows everyday!) you need stick and rudder exp. before you join, coz here you don't learn that anymore!
Otherwise I see no reason why you couldn't join and run a smooth career!
Anyway, good luck and all the best!
WOB http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Hi WOB,

I already have my interpersonal.de Cargolux Application rejected, so I think I do not fit the profile that CLX is loking for.

All the best!

Pow-wow
25th Oct 2010, 06:53
@ Tophat320...

Dont stress too much about this english or german thing.

I speak German and English, both as if they were my native language, and when I did the interview 3 years ago, I asked them to do it all in English and they had no objection to this. Just be yourself and dont try to bull**** them. :) Best of Luck !!!

@ Rock&Go...

People have come with all sorts of backgrounds. I had lots of 737 time, but the guy who started with me had NO Boeing time at all. I dont think it makes a difference what types you flew, as long as the overall picture fits. :)

Tophat320
25th Oct 2010, 09:07
@Rock&Go: They invited me for the assesment, a good friend of mine wasnīt invited. I have only experience on the Airbus, he flew the 737 for about 5 years. So I donīt think it doesnīt matter. Try it.

So I think Iīll try to sell me in english, anyway it should be possible.
The question of the dresscode remains unanswered for the assesment in Saarlouis, normally it should be clear but it isnīt a standard assesment because you have to do a medical examination ahead of the tests. So what would they prefer?

Pow-wow
25th Oct 2010, 10:32
@Tophat320...

I have no idea if they expect any perticular type of dress code in Saarlouis now, but when I went, I wore my suit and tie. Had to take some of it off again for the medical before hand, but thats not a train smash ;)

If in doubt, rather overdress than underdress...you can always take a tie off if you feel so inclined. Its more ambarrasing to stand there with NO tie, when everyone else is wearing one :uhoh:

Good luck again :ok:

gazman21
25th Oct 2010, 21:57
hi all,
just wondering if there any many commuters within Cargolux & if there are any interline agreements with any other carriers?
also,what would a 1st year First Officer expect to earn per month.

Regards

worn-out-bushing
26th Oct 2010, 01:14
Hi Gazman,

yes, there are commuters, my guess around 70% actually. And yes, there is an Interline agreement with LUXAIR ID90, don't bug me if there is a 6 or 12 month waiting time after you join, but I think there is not.
However, the company isn't too happy about commuting, simply they don't want people to show up after 6-8 hours driving or flying in, being tired and then going on duty. Life is a lot easier if you live close by. Guys who seem to be not flexible in the interview when it comes to the question of moving close to LUX seem not to pass the interview! However, what you do after you are hired and in your off days is up to you.
My recommendation is: If you live further than 2h drive from LUX or if you have to use a flight to get there, and you choose not to move close by, get yourself a crashpad either in LUX or on the german side (Trier) which is a lot cheaper and only about 25 min. to the Airport. People also share apartments, you'll use it 2-3 times a month. :ok:

This way it is easily possible to commute bearing in mind the time you loose being on the road then.

F/O's salary is good enough to make a living even in the first year, and if you hold some experience before, you'll slip into the SFO's payscale after one year and that Porsche won't have to wait for you in the cardealers window for too long anymore...... :}

Anyway, good luck to all and maybe see ya on board.....

WOB

Rock&Go
26th Oct 2010, 09:03
@ Pow-wow and Tophat320,

Thank you for taking the time to answer gentlemen.

As a matter of fact, thought the A320 is a really comfortable plane to fly, I couldn't be happier to convert to 747-4/8F and plan my career at CV, bearing in mind of course the drawbacks of the lifestyle associated to it.

Regarding the dress code, I echo Pow-wow's opinion, rather overdress than the opposite, even for a long day of medical and psychometrics (though no need for a pocket square matching the tie :}).

All the best! :ok:

quianor
30th Oct 2010, 18:28
Hi all,

I'm starting the course on 28/02.. any of you starting on the same date??

Thanks!

Quianor

gazman21
31st Oct 2010, 21:26
hi guys,
just trying to get little bit more info before assessment....
how many guys are Cargolux planning to hire? and where does training take place?
gazman21

SyncPilot
31st Oct 2010, 21:53
hi guys, just wondering how long did you all wait for the interview after aplying online, i got a couple of e-mail"s and now nothing for a few months...?? do i fit the profile for my dream job?? i am 27y, 3300+ hr A320, masters in aeronautics...

sonicguy
1st Nov 2010, 10:26
How long does it take to get an answer after the first stage interview in Saarlouis? Do you usually get a phone call or email?

Cheers

YV757
1st Nov 2010, 18:49
Hello guys.

I already made my application with CLX, but I want to know my odds.
I have ICAO CPL, and recently FAA ATPL (Temporary at the moment, waiting for the permanent one). No JAA license, just a validation from Latvia.
+5000 hrs total, +4700 on airlines (DC9, MD80, B757, B767), +1500 on the 757/767, currently on the 76 on transatlantic ops (1000 hours on the 76). Level 6 english. I'm not european, but my wife is, so it wouldn't be a problem to live and work in Europe. So far, no reply at all. Do I stand a chance? Or is it a MUST to have a JAA license?

Thanks for your help!:ok:

cosmiccomet
1st Nov 2010, 21:16
My friend, I have been applying for CLX for years with a Frozen JAR ATPL (JAR : CPL IR/ME), FAA's ATPL with SIC B744 type rating, TT:+8,000 hrs, B744 SIC:+2,600 hrs, DC10 SIC:+3,100 hrs...and my application is always rejected.

According to Interpersonal, my Frozen JAR ATPL is not good enough, CLX requires a full JAR ATPL.

YV757
2nd Nov 2010, 04:21
:{

Cosmic and couch...thanks for your answer.....I had the slight suspicion , and sadly it has been confirmed.

Well, on to new opportunities.....

Tophat320
3rd Nov 2010, 11:22
@couchpotatoe:
That means after the first six month there wonīt be any new course? Are there some courses parallel or do they wait until one course has finished (I saw one guy starting on the 28th of february). And how long will the rating etc. take at Cargolux?

4Turbofans
5th Nov 2010, 09:38
Hi guys.

I got this mail a few weeks ago.
Can anyone can confirm that this means I will be invited
to a assessment center for sure??

Best

4T;)

"thank you once again for your application for a First Officer position with CARGOLUX AIRLINES INTERNATIONAL S.A.

On behalf of CARGOLUX, we are pleased to inform you about the further progress of your application.

The recruitment board has confirmed that you fulfill all the requirements and that you will be registered on our pending candidate's list.

Please keep your contact data, eg. your e-mail address, phone numbers, valid at all times!"

sled dog
15th Nov 2010, 13:11
I wonder how CV will progress now that there is a new CEO ?

LBR
15th Nov 2010, 15:55
How do you mean, do you expect a major change?

sled dog
15th Nov 2010, 19:27
He is from the Ministry of Transport, i believe. "Jobs for the boys " springs to mind.......

offa
21st Nov 2010, 17:46
New recruits have following clause in their contract: they have to show a proof of residency (within 1 hour of LUX airport) latest 3 weeks after joining Cargolux.

CFM International
22nd Nov 2010, 19:55
New recruits have following clause in their contract: they have to show a proof of residency (within 1 hour of LUX airport) latest 3 weeks after joining Cargolux.

...so that means no possibility to commute...
too bad! I have just taken my atpl and I was so close to apply...!!

HURZ
22nd Nov 2010, 21:32
do you really think this is legal under euopean law.... come on:ugh:
you just tell the big guys that youīll move and have a mailbox during the first year until your trial period is over.... and then.....

Tophat320
24th Nov 2010, 07:44
Is that really true? I am speachless about that.
If you are hired now itīs a disadvantage against all the people they are allowed to commute.
If you decide for Cargolux you know that the job wont be easy, long trips and a long time away from your family and now they want you to move within the first three weeks. They want you to leave your whole social environment and to take your family with you, my wife have to quit her really good job and what if you fail your rating or if they fire you after your one year trial?
I canīt believe that, but in this case I think the only way is to remove my application - Cargolux seems not to be the good company I thought!

LBR
24th Nov 2010, 12:47
Hmm, doesn't take much to make you speechless...
I could imagine that Cargolux prefers to have its pilots to live close to Luxembourg to prevent the situation where people have a long tiring commute before the start of their duty.
A substantial number of people in Cargolux do commute but I have the impression most of them travel towards Luxembourg the day before their trip and stay in the Ibis or Etappe at walking distance from the office or have a shared apartment in the vicinity.
This way they can start their duty well rested.

LBR
24th Nov 2010, 14:10
Never said you will get a proof of residency from a hotel, just explaining what commuters often do.
The other option, sharing an apartment with some colleagues, could give you this proof of residency.
There are some colleagues renting out rooms for this purpose.

Tophat320
24th Nov 2010, 14:16
LBR, no problem to start duty well rested - but therefore is no adress neccesary within 1 hour of LUX.
As you already said: You can go to a hotel to sleep, but they donīt want that you guarantee that you are well rested, they want an adress! That means you have to move, and thats a negative factor!

rwy24center
24th Nov 2010, 16:55
@tophat
you prefer to spread your negativism instead of reading and understanding the comments of HURZ and LBR.
nobody forces you to join clx.
clx is not (good) for everybody.

Tophat320
24th Nov 2010, 20:39
RWY24C:
I think it is really negative to move after 3 weeks without any guarantee to pass your rating or that your contract is continued after your trial.
I think thatīs a real big problem.
And if other have the right to commute it is not right to initiate a two-class society!

sled dog
25th Nov 2010, 07:48
Some CV Pilots held a protest gathering at the Airport yesterday. Apparently 300 have signed a petition claiming the company are putting business before safety. This reported in the local media. Any CV drivers on here like to comment ?

FrontRunner
25th Nov 2010, 15:20
I think it is really negative to move after 3 weeks without any guarantee to pass your rating or that your contract is continued after your trial.
I think thatīs a real big problem. Very fair point!

Just do what most do and what LBR & HURZ also stated: get a crash pad near LUX together with some colleagues to make it affordable and keep the company happy. You need something anyway for before and after a long haul flight. After the (excessively long IMHO) one year trial period you can always decide if you really want to move your family to LUX permanently.

Good luck!

SyncPilot
2nd Dec 2010, 17:36
Hi girls and boys,
please can anyone confirm that you need to have an eu-passport to work in CV or is there any other way to bypass that (for us non eu)...???:ooh:

Mr.Nomads
2nd Dec 2010, 18:26
Some CV Pilots held a protest gathering at the Airport yesterday. Apparently 300 have signed a petition claiming the company are putting business before safety. This reported in the local media. Any CV drivers on here like to comment ?

It`s a very hot topic at the moment and I don`t think, that anyone of
us likes to post a statement.
Read the lux newspaper for the latest development.

As for the EU passport requirement:
you can hold any passport as long as you have a JAR-FCL licence.

Mr.Nomads

4Turbofans
3rd Dec 2010, 14:25
Hi Folks.

Does anyone has informations how much F/Os will be imployed in the next month?

I got the information, that the first F/Os are going to start in March 2011; is that right?!

Pleasant weekend;)

4T

buduci kolega
4th Dec 2010, 19:30
Good evening gentlemen,

may I kindly ask you to confirm you DO NOT need a EU passport or work permit to work in Cargolux. Only a JAR ATPL?

Also if it's possible to check because I would really appreciate
fresh info.

Thank you very much

Have a nice evening

BK

Pow-wow
5th Dec 2010, 16:45
Hello everyone,

I am not 100% sure, but I think you DO need a european passport to work at Cargolux, or at least the right to live and work in Europe unrestricted.

I will try and find out for sure though, and put the answer up on here asap.

Pow-wow

buduci kolega
5th Dec 2010, 16:58
Much appreciated.
Please check, if you have relevant authority to ask, is it enough to have a work permit of a EU country, Schengen also.

Regards

BK

Pow-wow
7th Dec 2010, 07:10
Hello again everyone,

I spoke to the Human Resources Department and they said it needs to be a European passport now.

Pow-wow

SyncPilot
7th Dec 2010, 21:11
Thanks a lot to Pow-Wow and Mr. Nomad for your effort, I just got an email from CV that they ˝canīt consider my application although i have all qualification and license required˝( in must be the non EU passport) ...to bad, i was realy in to it...,but i wonīt give up, maybe I will get the EU pass soon in a year or two!!!

buduci kolega
8th Dec 2010, 06:46
Pow-wow,

thanks a lot, appreciate your effort.

BK

Mr.Nomads
8th Dec 2010, 18:38
Hm, when I started, there was definatelly no need for an european passport.
We still have lots of US, Canadians, South Africans and NZ working for us.
But that could have changed recently with increasing number of applications.
Pow-wow is more likely up-to-date as he has the infos first hand from HR.

Sorry guys not to have better news...

Cheers
Mr.Nomads

AM737
9th Dec 2010, 00:15
Hello forum people!
I would like to thank everyone in this beautiful thread for the information that has been shared so far about Cargolux, more precisely about the process of application (Saarlouis + Interview).

Especially I would like to mention loulou with his post #391 http://www.pprune.org/4776899-post391.html which is very close to that what happened to me in Saarlouis a couple of weeks ago, and I mean veeeeeery close :D

Anyone in here got a starting date in March 2011?

-blue skies

pork chop
9th Dec 2010, 01:51
If it helps there is another A300 freight operation starting in Shajah soon. Think they are looking for qualified crews. Try [email protected]

PH-JPC
9th Dec 2010, 11:17
Starting date March 2011 as well! :ok:

quianor
9th Dec 2010, 12:05
I'm starting on the 28th of February.. We'll probably meet in the office then!!

atila_101
12th Dec 2010, 23:57
Hi there,

according to the interpersonal.de web, it says "According to the latest corporate planning there will be a small demand for pilots and only a limited number of vacant positions in the year 2010!"

Can anybody confirm if there is any recruiting going on and what sort of experience they are looking at.

Thanks in advance

Iver
13th Dec 2010, 22:27
Can someone provide examples of average time and experience for recent newhires? What is competitive nowadays in terms of flight hours?

Also, for people with airline backgrounds hired recently, which airlines are the most frequent sources of new Cargolux pilots? Luxair? Air Berlin? Ryanair?

Cheers

PH-JPC
13th Dec 2010, 23:03
Can someone provide examples of average time and experience for recent newhires? What is competitive nowadays in terms of flight hours?

Also, for people with airline backgrounds hired recently, which airlines are the most frequent sources of new Cargolux pilots? Luxair? Air Berlin? Ryanair?

27yrs old, 3500+ hrs (2300 B737, 1000 turboprop).
Including a lot of non-standard experience in Africa, Central Asia.
Now flying 737 for Dutch charter company.

atila_101
13th Dec 2010, 23:40
Quite a similar background as PH here, is people with narrowbody stand a chance or will they only look at people current on 744?

Donkey Duke
14th Dec 2010, 04:32
What are the trips like at Cargolux? What type of rosters? Cheers.

wiseoldowl
28th Dec 2010, 14:48
Hello all,

I'm about to apply for cargolux and I'm looking into the prepartion for the tests on day 1. This forum is wonderfully well documented, thank you all.
However, there's one thing I couldn't find, or maybe I looked right passed it. Is it worth investing money in a company like ATTC to prepare the tests? Did some of you prepare for those tests with a similar institution and if so, do you think it helped?

I thank you all for your reply and insight.
Wishing you all a Happy New Year!

WOO

Pow-wow
30th Dec 2010, 09:08
Hello wiseoldowl,

Again, my test day is more than 3 years ago now, but I did not do any ATTC type preparations.

I dont know if their training is of any use for the Cargolux assesment ?
Lots of these companies say they prepare you for all sorts of airlines, but in the end I think they just do a standard logic/iq training course (if there is such a thing?!?)

I had a few "off-the-shelf" logic trainer books that you can readily get in most bookshops, but again, I dont think they made a huge difference either.

I have no idea if anyone else in Cargolux did the ATTC stuff ?

@Donkey Dude

Best way to describe it is, that there is no "standard" roster.

The previous discussions in this thread on rosters before are still current, and give a pretty fair estimation I would say (the good and the bad ).

RollsRoyce36
30th Dec 2010, 15:57
hi, stay away from ATTC. it is crap. i know several people , who were there ,and every single one said, it was useless.

PH-JPC
31st Dec 2010, 14:13
Never heard of ATTC... just reading this entire thread 20 times is preparation enough!

wiseoldowl
4th Jan 2011, 20:53
Thank you for your replies!

Frolic
10th Jan 2011, 19:53
Hello everyone,
does anyone have a clue if there is a possibility to get a closer look to the "Cargolux Airlines Collective Work Agreement"?

Any idea what the salary for a 26yrs old single without kids would be?
No 747 rating. 3000hrs B737NG. What would the starting pay be in the first year?

Thank you all.

Best regards,
Frolic

ray cosmic
11th Jan 2011, 13:32
Hi have a look at my post #242: http://www.pprune.org/3634135-post242.html
Except that basic salary for first year FOs has increased to 4515 due to the Lux. index increase. The system is that a "index 100" scale is published in the CWA, and every once in a while the number with which this basic index 100 scale is being multiplied increases. This is a Nationwide inflation adjustment of salaries.

Today, the index is at 719,84
Index 100 1st yr salary is 627,34
-> basic salary today as a jrFO is (719,84*627,34)/100= 4515EUR.

After 600 hrs on type you'll go to the FO scale, with the first Time Unit being 678,04 at index 100,
After having 600hrs on type and a total time of more than 3500hrs, you'll be in the srFO scale, with TU1 being 735,08

In practice, most new hirees will jump from the TU1 jrFO scale to the TU2 srFO scale since mostly you'll have 600hrs in your first year and most have >3000hrs once they're hired anyway, so after 1 year you'll have both 600hrs on type and the 3500 hrs.

So for now, your first year basic is 4515EUR, your second year basic 5455EUR.
Today: pension contribution is 8%, legal health insurance is 2,7% and a dependency insurance of 1,4%

Use these numbers for the steps I mentioned in post 252, and use this calculator:
https://saturn.etat.lu/cobar/baremePP.jsp Use "salarie mensuel" and "classe impot" 1/0 since you're single. If you're married, you'll select 2/0.
If the calculator doesn't work, look at the .pdf version of the scales (page 39 and onward..)
http://www.impotsdirects.public.lu/legislation/legi10/M__morial_A_-_N___248_du_31_d__cembre_2010.pdf

As further info, for special hours, an hourly rate is used. You'll find out your hourly rate by dividing your basic salary by 173.

Holiday supplement is 100% of the hourly rate
Sunday supplement is 70% of the hourly rate,
Vacation supplement is 40% of hourly rate,
Night supplement is 25% of the hourly rate.
These supplements are not taxed, but you'll have to pay the 12,1% pension/social cost over them.

For the first 3 supplements mentioned (Holiday, Sunday, Vacation), the minimum counted duty day is 8 hrs.
So if you have 1 day of vacation, you'll receive 8*40% your hourly rate.
Per year you'll receive 42 days of VAC, so that's already 42*8*40% your hourly rate you'll have in a year on top of your basic.
A duty of 5 hrs or for example a day of layover on a Sunday will get you 8*70% your hourly rate. 10hrs duty on a legal holiday will get you 10*100% of the hourly rate.

Roughly, the net you'll receive is at least as much as the basic gross number.
Don't forget the Per Diem either!

:uhoh: Horribly complicated, but it comes down to the point that the money is ok..

LBR
11th Jan 2011, 14:08
:uhoh: Horribly complicated, but it comes down to the point that the money is ok..

Haha, complicated it is but it doesn't take long to get used to the numbers!
Where in the CWA can I find the 20%/40% vacation supplement??

Frolic
11th Jan 2011, 15:20
@ray_cosmic:
thank you very much for this detailed information. Now I have an better idea about the whole thing.
Thanks.

13th Jan 2011, 14:12
Hello there

Any stories flying around on newhires in the new year?

Frolic
13th Jan 2011, 17:21
And can someone pls confirm that CLX requires you to have a FULL ATPL?
Actually I do have 3000hrs on B737 but a frz. ATPL or in detail a CPL-IR MCC and ATPL theory credit.

As posted some pages before someone's application got rejected due to the licence?

Tophat320
16th Jan 2011, 14:37
Thatīs interesting because I heard from InterPersonal that some were invited with frozen ATPL. But I also heard that ATPL is neccesary due to Luxembourgisch Law for the ZFTT. If someone of them was hired, what happened thereafter without an ATPL?

4Turbofans
17th Jan 2011, 09:04
Hi guys.
I talked to Interpersonal and the Cargolux office.
Unfortunately no chance without JAR ATPL.
Best :bored:

H.M.

Tophat320
17th Jan 2011, 12:59
But I guarantee that some were invited without ATPL, im 100 % sure about that!

Frolic
17th Jan 2011, 14:26
How long ago? So when did they invite people without ATPL?

CV747
17th Jan 2011, 14:52
....they were probably luxemburgers...rules are not the same...

Cheers,

CV747

cosmiccomet
17th Jan 2011, 14:59
I had the same answer from Cargolux about the Full JAR ATPL.

I have JAR CPL IR ME Frozen ATPL and FAA's ATPL with SIC B744 (2,600 hrs SIC) and PIC DC10 (3,100 hrs SIC) and I couldn't get an invitation for the interview.

I wrote to Interpersonnal asking the opportunity to get the interview and if I were positive I would invest money in getting a full JAR ATPL but the answer was also negative.

chimichanga
17th Jan 2011, 15:33
cosmiccomet: Sounds like your PIC time is on the wrong piece of paper? Did you get the JAA Comm license after flying on the FAA ATP license for awhile?

Yes, you will not get past the secretary looking at applications without that box checked.

wiseoldowl
26th Jan 2011, 13:41
Hello all!

I have just read Loulou's post about the assesment on Day 1: http://www.pprune.org/4776899-post391.html

There's an exercice that lasts about 30 min, can someone tell me how long in average the other exercices are?
I know it's a bit of a silly question, but I'd like to have an idea of how long the computer tests would be and how long the psychological questions.

Thx for your replies!

Owl

Frolic
26th Jan 2011, 15:57
Does anyone know if there are still vacancies?
Any Numbers?

Pow-wow
27th Jan 2011, 07:18
Hi guys,

wiseoldowl - there really is no fixed number, the exercises are all very different in time, some a few minutes and others 30 mins...it varies...well it did when I was there a few years ago anyway.

Frolic - I have no idea of further vacancies, but there seem to be courses starting at the moment.

wiseoldowl
27th Jan 2011, 13:07
Thanx a lot for the info..Is it safe to say that most of the day would be answering personality questions and a bit less for psychotechnical ones?
Or do they come mixed together?

I'm invited in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to see how, if at all possible, I can "organize" the day in terms of breaks and stuff..

PH-JPC
27th Jan 2011, 14:29
I'd say there are more psycho- sensomotorical tests, and in between every now and then long lists with personality-questions.
You'll be following a program on the computer that presents all the tests and allows you some minutes of rest in between some of the tests, as well as a 45-minute lunchbreak halfway the day.

wiseoldowl
27th Jan 2011, 14:35
Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know!

sled dog
30th Jan 2011, 16:40
rotorcloud, please read the thread, and all will be revealed............

A pumps
30th Jan 2011, 17:04
Hi.

Has anyone received an email from them saying there application is being considered?

I just logged into my account and it says "in progress"

Rgds

A pumps

CR2
31st Jan 2011, 16:21
http://www.flickr.com/photos/barwigj/5379179457/#/photos/barwigj/5379179457/lightbox/

Seems perhaps Proonbuggas don't like Flucker........

Try this link -8F #1.

Loadmaster is of course PIC

DSC_0675a | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/barwigj/5379179457/lightbox/)

FrontRunner
31st Jan 2011, 16:35
Nice picture CR2! I can't wait! :ok:

1st Feb 2011, 10:19
Yes I received the same email 2 months ago, and have the same status on the website

regards

atila_101
2nd Feb 2011, 04:06
Mine is as well "in progress". Does anyone have any info about possible recruitment.

Anyone who is "in progress" is B744 Type Rated?

alwaysflyinverted
4th Feb 2011, 07:49
Hi Chaps
Could someone please advise or PM me about carriage of family members on flights at Cargolux?Is it permitted?
I am currently working on a 744F and trying to convince the Co to allow carriage of family members. I heard a rumor that Cargolux allow this and was wondering how it works? Tickets/SEP training or just required to read a briefing Card on the emergency exits etc.
Appreciate the help

FBOZH
7th Feb 2011, 10:54
I'm finding myself in the same position as you before and wondering whether I should make the jump to a company like cargolux. I would love to work in a stressfree atmosphere but don't particularly relish the idea of spending my life in hotels. You say you're getting more days off now than you were flying short haul before. Well I fly short haul and get 14 days off a month on a 5354 roster. How many are you getting every month? And can you confirm the salary for FO around €5000? Is that before or after paying taxes in Lux? Thanks a lot

Tank2Engine
7th Feb 2011, 11:04
FBOZH, if you don't like hotels and are primarily concerned with the number of off days and pay, then don't waste your time. Stick to your 5-4-5-3 (easyJet?) and short haul!

atila_101
8th Feb 2011, 03:31
Is 744 or time in a heavy jet a requirement, although not specifically asked?

Tank2Engine
8th Feb 2011, 09:03
Is 744 or time in a heavy jet a requirement, although not specifically asked? Being able to read this thread and/or performing a little Google search is a requirement! :ugh:

Mine is as well "in progress". Does anyone have any info about possible recruitment.Obviously you applied for the job. Did it ever occur to you to read the job requirements? :rolleyes:

16down2togo
9th Feb 2011, 12:41
And then you find them sitting in the room on the internet 24/7 saving per diem
and complaining on every flight that nobody told them that flying long
haul means to be away from home and every day in a hotel is a waste.
Reading ability and logic thinking seem to become rare talents those days even though this 'internet' presents all the answers, wow.

belgianconnection
10th Feb 2011, 06:34
Well said 16down2toGO!!!

Flightwatch
12th Feb 2011, 22:57
I have just retired from Cargolux after 10 great years and 45 years in aviation, longhaul and shorthaul. Allow me to address the lifestyle questions asked here.

It appears to be a sad matter of fact that there are an increasing number of young (30-ish) co-pilots who do the job merely for the money without consideration of the lifestyle they must lead. These good people seldom if ever leave their rooms except for the free breakfast offered and possibly for a fitness session and are content to sit there if necessary for days on end Skyping their loved ones and, presumably, counting their per-diem. Not only is this terrible for their own well-being, but also it is disastrous for their fellow crew member(s). In a freight airline one is dependant on one’s colleagues for a semblance of a social life – there are no flight attendants to play with.

Now, nobody is required to be a party animal, drinking and carousing every hour of the day but for good mental health it is necessary to have social discourse occasionally and staring at the four walls of your room for many hours is not good for the spirit, if it is difficult now being away from home and loved ones, how will it be in 30 years time?

In all companies there are a few odd-balls who do not socialise but normally they are a well known tiny minority of all ages. However of late there seems to be a larger number joining CV and 10 day rotations of never seeing one’s colleague outside “the office” are now more common. This is very sad, particularly for the youngsters concerned as they clearly do not want to be where they are and their quality of life is miniscule.

PLEASE guys/gals think before you leap, if your main concern is to be with your family then Cargolux is not the company for you, indeed any longhaul operation will not suit you in all likelihood. Yes, CV is probably the best paid option outside the flag carriers but its success is largely due to its flexibility, which means frequent changes of routing to serve the market where the loads are. This in turn means roster changes both at home and down-route, moving of floating days off at short notice and in general a changing roster during the month. Unlike a passenger operation any particular rotation is subject to change at short notice and your return on a particular day cannot be assured. Remember that boxes do not complain if they are delayed and the schedule may be altered to suit commercial demands.

It is entirely possible that you may be in Baku or Almaty waiting for your last sector home when the dreaded message appears under the door which turns you around for another visit to the Far-East and a return 3 to 5 days later than planned. I have seen colleagues come close to a nervous breakdown when faced with this; the wife/children’s birthday party or other social functions do not excuse your obligations so long as it is within the scheduling rules

In my experience job satisfaction only comes if you really enjoy the whole operation, warts and all – sacrificing your life in the pursuit of money just doesn’t cut it. Similarly flying the 747 maybe the pinnacle of your professional desire but in this case it sometimes comes at the cost of a stable home life. If you need to see your loved ones and children grow up without missing any milestones, then stick to a short-haul airline that gets you home (if only briefly) most nights. You will be happier, the schedulers will be happier and your colleagues will be happier!

Please read all 39 pages of this thread, nearly all your questions will be answered therein and if you are sure the lifestyle will suit you the go ahead and apply. If you are lucky enough to be accepted then you will have a great time with the correct mental attitude to the job. Good Luck.

16down2togo
13th Feb 2011, 06:50
Is it you John? Quietly retiring after all that time?
Still remember our little trip in NZ 10 years ago, time flies!

Anyway well said and there is nothing to add to flightwatch's
writing.

Flightwatch
13th Feb 2011, 14:38
Yes, t'is I. I well remember our exploration of the Coromandel and the superb hospitality we were shown.

I am happy to say that in those days every trip was a blast and now all you guys are commanders I am sure you try to continue the tradition albeit with increasing odds of success.

If you have a long layover in IAH give me a shout, I'm here until Easter, about 3.5 hours away - you'll be welcome.