View Full Version : NEWQUAY

Pages : [1] 2 3

GBALU53
16th Nov 2005, 20:50
With Newquay or RAF ST. Mawgan being in the Southwest news a lot of late.

Air Southwest and Monarch are trying to get traffic to and from the southwest but not forgetting Mr O leary with Ryanair or though they have cut back.

The U.K. goverment are not helping in keeping the airport going,
it is a major airport for the southwest when you look at it geographicaly, it is a good location other.

When you look at the nearest commercial airports around Exeter Bristol and Plymouth they are a long way away.

When the airfield has warm sector conditions it will suffer from foggy conditions, but the airfield with the help of Mrs Windsors boys and girls will be there providing they do not pull out with radar and vectoring for the ils.

Providing the military do not pull out ,otherwise it might end up like Manston a very long runway and not many people to use it.

We would hope that Newquay is around for a very long time to come as i believe the old Brymon was one of the airlines to keep it back on the map long live BILL Bryce

GROUNDHOG
17th Nov 2005, 13:38
The news today is that the airport will be mothballed in 2007 and the EFA is going to Scotland.

I have posted on this in the Air Southwest thread but here goes again.

The airport ( civilian) is owned by the Council and they have only vague ideas about running the airport or how to develop it. The best case would be if the airport were sold to someone that does, someone that understands what other revenue the site can produce.

Newquay was on the map long long before Brymon, I worked for Westward Airways in 1966 which was possibly the forerunner of Brymon and even we were latecomers. You need to go back many years before that.

Newquay is not in an ideal position, if you live in the area of Cornwall east of say Bodmin it is almost as quick to go to Exeter. Not enough traffic can be generated from the rest of Cornwall to develop a significant and viable route newtork. It will always support a limited number of routes, especially to London if the night sleeper is cancelled, the airport has to make better use of the routes it does have and find other activities to bring in the cash. Never forget as well business is of course very seasonal.

There is plenty that can be done here but I feel nothing will change until the owners shape up or ship out.

Pierre Argh
17th Nov 2005, 19:22
Groundhog, read the announcement carefully...

St Mawgan is not going to be "Mothballed" it is closing, and in all probablity the MoD will dispose of the site.

The Council do own the "Airport"... if by that you mean a terminal building, a hanger and a carpark, everything airside is MoD property (see above).

Civil flights into Newquay began well before 1966, way back in 1939 in fact with Western Airways using Trebelzue Airfield (which is now part of RAF St Mawgan).

Maddog Red
18th Nov 2005, 08:48
New bmibaby route to Manchester, all helps

Curious Pax
18th Nov 2005, 09:13
Don't know if they are just in middle of updating it, but bmibaby's website lists MAN-NQY as a new route, but don't yet seem to have told their booking engine! Anyone know the planned schedule?

** edited to say that it is now done. flight is daily, and even the first week of the school summer holidays look cheap.

footster
20th Nov 2005, 18:43
I believe that Cornwall Council are short sighted and totally unable to run an international airport. First and formost the MOD will probably have to sell them the land with the runway and atc on and with the councils fiancial constraints that alone would be a problem without trying to find the running costs. They should have bit the bullet and gone whole heartedly into trying to get the JCA at St Mawgan and tried to slowly invest in the airport.Once again the unjustified wurzel gummidge image of people from the south west has been seen in the attitude of Cornwall County Council (not much up top).They deserve what they get.

GROUNDHOG
22nd Nov 2005, 08:40
Footster - For someone who comes from Devon ( joke) you are spot on. Not only are the CCC totally incapable of doing anything productive about the airport but they are also have an arrogance I find astonishing. See if you can get them to reply to an e mail or letter.

I believe the call has gone out for the resignation of Cllr Whalley over the handling of this farce. Probably Conservative posturing but it has been a farce!

I have come across at least two ex airline C.E.O's retired down here plus other professionals from the industry who I know would assist but will the Council listen... will they @"?*

greciangod
24th Nov 2005, 12:08
Heard on the news last night that Ryanair is pulling out of Newquay. Any idea if anyone is going to take over the Stanstead route?

GROUNDHOG
24th Nov 2005, 13:04
Think what you heard was the morning flight is cancelled and the later one under review - aren't all flights always under review!

The Council spokesperson did say that he had received approaches from other airlines and I have no doubt that if Ryanair did pull out others would take their place quite quickly.

My guess is after the long cold winter they will be back to twice daily.

Devonair
29th Nov 2005, 01:35
As mentioned on another thread Air Wales seem to be about to launch ORK-NQY.

GROUNDHOG
30th Nov 2005, 08:30
Announced on local teletext this morning - wish them well with it.

madbadrob
30th Nov 2005, 15:33
Ryan Air have been pulling out of NQY for a while now and it is all to do with the onset of £5 charges to all outgoing passengers by the CCC. This is a redevelopment fund they call it. Last I heard Ryan were pulling 5 flights from NQY. Whilst I don't live down there I do holilday in Newquay and these new arrivals will give me another reason to visit the old air base

Rob

Skipness One Echo
6th Dec 2005, 15:41
You can't book the Stansted Ryanair service after March it seems... What bloody fools politicians can be.

FLYboh
6th Dec 2005, 15:57
Don't worry too much as you can't book any flights out of BOH after saturday 26th March. They haven't loaded up the summer schedule yet.

footster
11th Dec 2005, 18:45
I know its early days since the Goverment announced the closure of St. Mawgan but according to Cornwall County Council they had airlines banging on their door to operate flights from Newquay. All that has happened is Ryan Air have cancelled the morning Stanstead Flight, Air Southwest have added a couple of flights along with one from Air Wales. Well CCC if thats the size of it then CCC really are out to play with the fairies.:O

bmibaby.com
11th Dec 2005, 19:00
bmibaby will be doing flights on a daily basis to Newquay from Durham Tees Valley & Manchester for summer 2006, although the airline has pulled the daily flights from Birmingham. I'm not BHX based so have no idea about loads or profitability, but would've thought that it was a nice little route for predominantly leisure pax as I believe it was once daily.

ASCIL
13th Dec 2005, 18:03
Sorry to be sooo nieve, but who was/is BILL Bryce...? :=

:ok:

GBALU53
13th Dec 2005, 18:55
Bill Bryce was the person who founded Brymon I believe back in the 80.s i think.
He was either Australian or a New Zealander.
Back in the early days of there operation they had a twin otter aircraft with the registration G-BWRB the last three letters standing for William R Bryce,
Hope this clears this up

ASCIL
13th Dec 2005, 19:03
Thanks "Matey" ;)

footster
14th Dec 2005, 19:16
Bill Bryce was indeed was a New Zealander. Sadly he past away last year after a long illness in his homeland . If my memory serves me right he started Brymon flying Britten Norman Islander aircraft out of Plymouth and using a Handley Page Herald on the Newquay- Heathrow service. He was one of the founders for using STOL aircraft first the DHC6 Twin Otter and then being the first airline to fly a DHC Dash 7 into the London Docklands on a trial flight and eventually selling his share in Brymon to concentrate on the construction and running of the London Docklands Airport. Regional air travel has alot to thank Bill Bryce for.:O

Sir George Cayley
14th Dec 2005, 20:17
Ihave a recollection that Bill Bryce also took part in the London to Sydney Air Race in the 1970's.

Also had a hand in Fairoaks Airfield

All before your time, now off to bed you've got a busy day tomorrow little ones.

Sir George Cayley

Keyvon
24th Dec 2005, 09:33
FR will give up Newquay - STN on March 25.

No more flights are shown after this date.

GROUNDHOG
24th Dec 2005, 11:29
Thats a pretty bold assumption - maybe they haven't yet put the summer schedules out!

phil_2405
24th Dec 2005, 11:49
Ryanair were due to release all summer 06 flights by yday (23rd).

WOWBOY
3rd Jan 2006, 16:02
Monarch's flights will apparently cease on 30th April.

GROUNDHOG
5th Jan 2006, 09:15
Wowboy - Enjoy your posts but please try to get your facts right.
Ryanair are not pulling out of Newquay - I just booked flights in June. Monarch were only ever running a short season anyway and are now considering longer I believe!

Irishwingz
5th Jan 2006, 16:26
I took a flight from Dublin to Newquay last saturday. The Dash 8 was a bit long in the tooth but I thouroughly enjoyed the slowish (compared to a jet) climb over Dublin city at a low altitude. My first time in a turboprop out of Dublin actually.

From an Irish point of view its was real handy compared to having to drive from Bristol. I believe Air Southwest are going to be spending a bit of money promoting the area in Ireland so that should sustain it, the hostie told me they are getting about 25 people a day. She was real nice too:E

Long may it continue

footster
13th Apr 2006, 20:27
I saw on tonights BBC local news Spotlight that Cornwall CC have admitted that it will take Newquay 5 years to break even financially and they to hit the 600,000 passengers a year double its current number todo this.CCC are now being seen to eat their words when they said they did not need JCA and could run the airport as they had airlines queing upto operate out of the airport.Well at this rate Newquay Airport will be joining RAF St Mawgan if this council dont start getting their fingers out.But then a council running an airport !!!!!!!!!!!!

GROUNDHOG
13th Apr 2006, 21:04
Now here is a question for the lawyers. If the Council fails to develop the airport and it does eventually close does that mean that all those punters that paid a £5 development fee might have a legal right to ask for it back?

PAXboy
14th Apr 2006, 13:38
Airport to name lounge after DJ
BBC News + Radio 1 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/4909658.stm)

A departure lounge at Cornwall's airport is to be renamed after a BBC Radio 1 DJ following a campaign by presenter Scott Mills. Newquay Airport has decided to rename its departure lounge after popular DJ Jo Whiley.

No one from Newquay Airport was available for comment but Radio 1 confirmed the news on their website.

No such thing as bad publicity!

WATABENCH
15th Apr 2006, 11:43
Been listning to all this on radio1, ha ha brilliant:ok: , apparently Blackpool airport were going to name an aircraft after her too

STAN DEASY
15th Apr 2006, 15:22
Perhaps the Beeb will sponsor the new hardstanding that has just been laid down at great expense. Apparently, the local environmental health people will not allow aircraft to use it as there is no drainage in the event of a fuel spillage. Sounds like a bit of a major own goal by the local councils as they must have commisioned and then approved the plans and once the work was done sign off the project!

So using the hardstanding as an advertising hoarding seems the only option left - its cock all use for much else!

footster
15th Apr 2006, 18:47
I rest my case when it comes to CCC. Thats not the first own goal CCC have made. Thinking they can run the airport without the RAF was the biggest one and it is slowly coming back to haunt them bit by bit.

Phileas Fogg
22nd Apr 2006, 02:08
Once the RAF move out of St Mawgan Newquay Airport will become another Manston, a large airfield but without the catchment area to justify it. What Manston has in it's favour is that it is ideally placed for weather diversions from the London area and the close continent whereas St Mawgan, well it might attract a St. Just, Penzance helicopter or PLH diversion but that's about it and it is a very much larger airfield than Manston, it has the widest runway, 9000ft x 300ft, in the country and with the tower etc. on the RAF side.

What Cornwall needs is a centrally located modest airport, perhaps a 7000ft runway but a longer one might be convenient for the occasional fuel stop before a heavy crosses the pond, a modest terminal, perhaps a freight facility, and with good road and perhaps rail connections and not a bl00dy great airfield & RAF camp the size of St. Mawgan, particularly one at an elevation of some 600ft.

So why not develop somewhere like the former RAF Portreath:

http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cg...&scal e=25000

OK, it seems to have about 4 runways but from the pic it appears only one runway has been maintained, a cross runway is always handy for crosswind conditions, but development can be concentrated on a tailor made commercial airport rather than an RAF base with a civilian terminal as far away as possible.

Portreath is about 2 miles off the A30 and about 3 miles from a railway line and Redruth station, it is in a non built up area and has approaches over the sea.

If the RAF are to pull the plug on St Mawgan then perhaps it might be the right time for Cornwall's airport to make a clean break and start anew.

I would like to add that it was only from reading this thread that I just learnt of Bill Bryce's death last year. Having worked for Bill in the pre BA days of Brymon I would like to say that he was a character, all be it sometimes a short tempered character, but he was a good guy and with a heart of gold and he did a lot for aviation, in his own unique way, for Devon and Cornwall. Rest in peace WRB!

Bill Bryce and Chris Amon, 2 Newzealanders created Brymon Airways. Amon was the number one Ferrari Grand Prix driver in the 60`s.
Brymon’s first schedule was from Newquay to the Scilly Isles in 1972 using an Islander aircraft
Brymon were the first UK operator of the Twin Otter from 1974
They bought the Newquay-London Heathrow route in 1977 from Michael Bishop for £200,000 using Herald aircraft
Bryce, the ex journalist and farmer helped to build the new runway at Plymouth in 1981
In 1982 Brymon`s test pilot flew the Dash-7 into Heron`s Quay before the airport was built that was to become London City Airport, named by the Plymouth airline
Bryce sold the airline in 1983 to an ex British Airways manager, Charles Stuart

Raven30
22nd Apr 2006, 20:19
"What Cornwall needs is a centrally located modest airport, perhaps a 7000ft runway but a longer one might be convenient for the occasional fuel stop before a heavy crosses the pond, a modest terminal, perhaps a freight facility, and with good road and perhaps rail connections and not a bl00dy great airfield & RAF camp the size of St. Mawgan, particularly one at an elevation of some 600ft.

So why not develop somewhere like the former RAF Portreath: "

A centrally located airport might be a good idea, but you could hardly call Portreath central. St Mawgan fits that bill far better. True, it might be a large airfield, but surely if you want to develop an airport, and one that includes features such as a freight facility, then space and hangarage is what you need. With the improvements to the A30 currently in progress, road links for St Mawgan will better those of Portreath. Agreed the local rail connection is paltry, but surely that is not a major consideration here?
Bear in mind that it is only the airfield that the MOD is disposing of, not the whole station. And the elevation is actually less than 400ft at its highest point.

I realise that you mentioned Portreath as an example only, but as an aside, it is also the site of Nancekuke, which as a former Chemical Defence Site responsible for the production of nerve agents, might not make it first choice for a regional airport!

Mr A Tis
26th Apr 2006, 16:28
Having just made my first visit to NQY via BMI Baby, have to say a bit disappointed.
Firstly an airfield approach aid failing in very poor vis, resulting in holding for 20 minutes. Then having landed, being kept on board for a further 30 minutes, due to NQY only handling one aircraft at a time.
A £5 fee charged to use the arrivals/departure sheds takes the biscuit.
On departure, nobody at the gate checked boarding cards with any ID which I thought was a UK DoT regulation. Even then, a lady bound with WOW to LGW mangaged to board the flight to MAN, fortunately, at least the Baby crew were on the ball - even though they looked slightly bored.
NQY, probably not top of my list to revisit unless it was absolutely essential. Hope you spend my fiver wisely !!:rolleyes:

Phileas Fogg
26th Apr 2006, 18:20
Raven,
I'm aware of the chemical background of Portreath thus why perhaps ideal for a commercial development rather than perhaps a housing development!

Hear what you say about St. Mawgan regarding hangarage & Freight but just look at the location of the hangars to the pax terminal, if you were starting from scratch would you not put them next door to each other?

The railway, indeed any public transport, features in any airport development & growth. When they rebuilt Stansted they put a railway line & station in and let's face it, holidaymakers flying to NQY are leaving their cars at home, costs of taxi's etc. may persuade them that it's cheaper to take the car than to fly.

Changing the subject slightly, I can recall the days of when jetfoils operated from Ramsgate to Ostend, 90 minutes compared to 4+ hours by ship but the punters destination wasn't Ostend, in the same complex as Ostend harbour was the train station and it was an optimum route for getting to the continent.

NQY is trying to attract punters destination Cornwall, not necessarily destination Newquay, thus there need to be public transport connections.

PF

iain32
26th Apr 2006, 20:05
Was air southwest not meant to be flying to PIK a while back.

Raven30
26th Apr 2006, 22:29
Mr A Tis,
Understand the frustration at having to hold for 20 mins, but equipment failure is unavoidable, and hardly the fault of Newquay, as RAF St Mawgan provide all airfield and nav aids. I'm sure that holding while waiting for the kit to come back up is preferable to making an approach in what was very poor weather, with no approach aid. Safety first...
As for your other comments on the terminal, can't really comment other than to say that whilst the situation needs to improve as regards passenger handling, the staff have an unenviable task, and like most operations run on a tight budget, there are going to be problems at peak times. Not an excuse, and I'm no expert on their ops but the problem as I see it is one of financial constraints. They are still not geared up to handle multiple arrivals and departures efficiently.

Phileas,
In an ideal world, a new centrally located airport would be a sound plan, however we do not live in an ideal world, and working with what is physically and financially available is the next best thing. On that basis, you have to adapt existing assets. The hangars south side would be ideal for a cargo operation, or even as a displaced servicing location for Air SouthWest, for example. I have no idea what is planned for future development, but if I were asked, then I would suggest relocating the passenger operations south side. This would provide the co-location you mention, and improve the road access. All these points will be decided by someone much higher up the food chain than me, so my musings are just that!! Until the MOD relinquishes control of the real estate, then this is all conjecture anyway.

Raven

dingodiva
11th Aug 2006, 17:01
Has anyone any info' on the delays at NQY today which appear to be averaging between 1 and 2 hours for all airlines and are much worse than yesterday. For a tinpot little airport which is hoping to raise £20 Mill of public money for expansion they are certainly making hard work of things at the moment.

atc1100
17th Aug 2006, 16:45
The delays we're due to the security alert being heightned earlier in the week. Everything is back running to normal schedule now.

Buster the Bear
17th Aug 2006, 17:58
Does anyone have any factual info relating to the loads Arann are achieving on their new Luton route? This was introduced very rapidly with very little lead in time before the route commenced. I am not anticipating the passenger loads to be good, but who knows?

OltonPete
17th Aug 2006, 18:33
Buster

The CAA provisional stats for July show 699 pax, if the service started
on 3/7/06 as per the press release (did it?) then 36 rotations = 19.41
pax per flight if all the flights operated.

I am not sure if it did start on 3/7/06 but 699 pax is only provisional
but at least a proper indicator.

Pete

Powerjet1
17th Aug 2006, 19:50
OltonPete

Understand there were 32 rotations in July which equates to 21.84 pax per flight. August, to date, is showing a considerable improvement on these figures, but still has some way to go before the operation would be considered a good success.

As BTB said previously, the route was a very late introduction, with virtually no lead time. Since it is almost totally leisure orientated, many would-be travellers had already made their travel plans, some of whom may well have used the service if they had known about it earlier. Better luck next year perhaps.

Air Hop
18th Aug 2006, 06:52
Does anyone think that an onward connection to EXT would work with the ORK route? Air Wales were starting to get reasonable loads to ORK before their demise. This would seem to me to be an ideal solutuion.

devon_guy
29th Jan 2007, 13:53
Apparently BA are going to announce their return to Newquay with a daily service to LGW. How bizarre given that they are selling BAcon and are retreating rapidly from the regions and then go and announce this.

marlowe
29th Jan 2007, 14:38
Are you sure its LGW? pure speculation but could it be the Sh*ttyflyer son of BACON outfit into LCY? cos they are going to need some new routes to make that operation work, the LCY/MAD route is not performing well, pax loads can be very low single figures most days!!!

devon_guy
29th Jan 2007, 14:47
It would appear it is yes, they going to be in direct competition with ASW so seeing as they operate to LGW I would assume it's the same route.

brakedwell
29th Jan 2007, 15:43
An old BA ploy. Wipe out the opposition, then drop the route!:(

San Expiry
29th Jan 2007, 16:12
Unless BA decion makers have gone totally mad (if any more insanity was possible) this just does not compute. Why, when WW has effectively put BA UK domestic operations into extinction with the disposal of BACON, would he/they want to commit financial suicide by putting jet machinery on a (relatively) low-density, low yield route, that is the perfect run for a 50 seat turboprop. Nope, it doesn't make any sense - unless they really are insane!:D

spanishflea
29th Jan 2007, 17:02
BA spent a lot of time and effort in ensuring ASW were set up to continue the links to PLH and NQY after the PLH base was closed. Would be rather strange for them to now go and get rid of them!

LBIA
29th Jan 2007, 17:03
Apparently BA are going to announce their return to Newquay with a daily service to LGW. How bizarre given that they are selling BAcon and are retreating rapidly from the regions and then go and announce this

Could this have something to do with the forthcoming announcement which is due from Ryanair.com this week regarding there Newquay operations.

Some suggest that they are going to pull the Daily Stansted route due to Newquay Airport's £5 development levy which was introduced by Cornwall County Council.

mmeteesside
29th Jan 2007, 17:08
Showing in amadeus

Daily LGW-NQY-LGW BA2972/3 'EQV' (a mix of 733/4/5)
LGW-NQY 1250/1350
NQY-LGW 1455/1555

Not shown as operated by Cityflyer either...

Air Hop
29th Jan 2007, 17:34
Could this not be due to the Flybe deal? A Q400 doing this route after the deal completes would suit Flybe possibily with an EXT stop enroute. Flybe are known to be keen to expand out of NQY and competing with WOW would probably not be a concern:ok:

San Expiry
29th Jan 2007, 17:36
It's true! Completely mad - BA has lost the plot!

footster
29th Jan 2007, 17:38
Apparently it is due to start on the 20th March according to the BBC Local news.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6309819.stm

Flightrider
29th Jan 2007, 18:02
Good for BA. I think this is a great move and one which could do very well for them.
I strongly suspect it has been brought about by bmi's announcement on LHR-JER. BA found that they could sandwich an extra LGW-JER-LGW roundtrip onto the 737 fleet this summer and had planned to increase LGW/JER. However, with the bmi announcement, I guess this has left them feeling less bullish about growth on Jersey and so they needed somewhere of a similar rotation length to use the aircraft.
A daily midday service from LGW to NQY ought to work OK, and if you look at passenger volumes since Ryanair reduced, you can see why. August saw LON-NQY passenger numbers almost halve - from 23,708 in 2005 to 12,036 in 2006. That's 11,672 fewer passengers due to the reduction in STN services. A daily 737-400 generates 9,114 seats per month and so the capacity influx from BA's arrival is far less than the number of passengers lost from the route. In commercial terms, it ought to be a no-brainer - particularly when you can't use an aircraft that you're already paying for anywhere else, i.e. it's marginal use of the aircraft.
For Cornwall, it's great news. It means the airport is less beholden to Ryanair and its tactics - and I see there was another press release on Ryanair's website about it only a day or two ago. I suspect that other posters' suspicions about Ryanair might be right, but let's wait and see.
The only implication is that I guess Air Southwest might move their handling contract at LGW away from BA! Still, given BA's approach to third-party handling at LGW over the last few years, they might see that as a bonus rather than a loss.
Overall, for once, it is nice to see positive moves being taken. Congratulations to whoever had the balls to push this one through Waterside.

Tyreplug
29th Jan 2007, 19:25
If BA get involved in NQY again it's bad news for everyone in Cornwall and the wider Aviation industry ...as it was post Brymon & pre ASW

Ask BA Cabin Crew what a nice people they are!?

BHDflyer
29th Jan 2007, 19:44
A guy in waterside obviously is patting himself on the back for actually succeeding in persuading BA TO START A NEW UK DOMESTIC MAINLINE ROUTE!:D I take it however BA will use a handling agent in Newquay to cut costs, they'd have to be pretty mental to make the entire EDI base redundant because of BACON, and then open a ground/crew base in Newquay! But who knows, with BA anything could happen. What am I going to hear next, BFS-LHR restarting 6 years since it stopped!

I hear the FLYBE deal to buy BACON will officially be announced on Wednesday (a month late as it was supposed to be 1st January).

GBALU53
29th Jan 2007, 19:58
Is this another one of those dirty dricks thats been pulled in the past.

We need to pull some routes but we need to keep the slots so where should we try.

Well Newquay not far from Gatwick in a jet, and if we can we might be able to push the other operator off the route and there might be more slots available at Gatwick for us to snap up:confused: .

Flightrider
29th Jan 2007, 20:06
Well Newquay not far from Gatwick in a jet, and if we can we might be able to push the other operator off the route and there might be more slots available at Gatwick for us to snap up

Very much doubt that this enters the thinking. If you knew the BA operation at Gatwick, you would know that they have been down-sizing for several years now - down from 53 short-haul aircraft (at the time of the BA/CityFlyer integration - 34 x 737s and 19 x RJ100/ATR72s) down to 31 operational 737s today. This has reduced BA's percentage of slots at LGW from +40% down to less than 30% and those slots have largely been taken up by easyJet. BA has no shortage of slots at LGW and if it had, it would hardly have been helping airlines like Malev to obtain peak-hour LGW slots. It certainly doesn't need the Air Southwest slots or, moreover, for those slots to go to any of BA's competitors like easyJet.

It's fascinating that everyone still thinks there must be an ulterior motive behind BA's moves despite the numbers in my earlier posting.

San Expiry
29th Jan 2007, 20:07
'Hang on a minute, Willy. Used to have this Gatwick-Newquay route but there was no way on this God's earth we could make it pay with a fuel-sipping Dash8. I've got it, let's have a go but this time..............a Boeing 737! And nuts to that little airline we helped to set up.':D

manx crab
29th Jan 2007, 20:10
GBALU53

If that was the case, would they have not kept the INV and IOM routes for the slots.

Globaliser
29th Jan 2007, 20:19
Has the LON-NQY market perhaps changed since BA last operated it? I've heard it said that NQY has, um, developed as a destination - ironically, partly thanks to RYR.

Flightrider
29th Jan 2007, 20:20
The Dash 8 was dedicated to the PLH-NQY-LGW operation; the route had to carry the full fixed costs of the aircraft and crew; and it was a double-drop operation with PLH, which meant that the DOCs per roundtrip were high due to four landings per roundtrip. I suspect all of this means that the trip cost for a fully-costed Dash 8 is probably not dissimilar to the direct operating cost of a 737 LGW-NQY-LGW where the aircraft + crews are already paid for by other activities. It is not comparing like with like, or anything like it.

With the IOM + INV sale to Flybe, I think you will find that the slots will not be going to an "unfriendly" home who will use them to compete with BA.

GBALU53
29th Jan 2007, 21:10
I smell a rat with some very bad cheese on this one.

This is not the first time this has happened.

GROUNDHOG
29th Jan 2007, 21:28
Still trying to get my head round this one my immediate feeling though is one of suprise that when the original WOW deal was done there was not a caveat written preventing BA restarting the Newquay to Gatwick route in direct competition - unless of course that time period has expired?
I doubt the extra flight will produce many extra passengers since it is the same market as Air Southwest already serve just everyone will get a smaller slice. Is it good for Newquay?.... Yes in as much as there is now competition on the route so fares will be kept down but arguably Ryanair were already doing that.
Let's see what Michael does next on Stansted.:confused:

Flightrider
29th Jan 2007, 21:39
I have to say that I don't remember the last time that this happened.
Gatwick-Guernsey - BA pulled off, Aurigny took over slots/route, BA hasn't returned.
Gatwick-Rotterdam - BA pulled off, TTG took over the slots/route, BA hasn't returned.
Gatwick-Plymouth - BA pulled off, Air Southwest took over slots/route, BA hasn't returned.
Gatwick-Cork - BA pulled off, easyJet/Ryanair later both came onto the route and slugged it out, Ryanair won, easyJet withdrew, BA hasn't returned.
Gatwick-Shannon - BA pulled off, easyJet/Ryanair then slugged it out, Ryanair won, easyJet withdrew, BA hasn't returned.
Gatwick-Newcastle - BA pulling off, Jet2 taking over using slots etc redeployed from MAN/LGW.
Heathrow-Belfast - BA pulled off, bmi increased service then moved to BHD. BA hasn't returned.
Heathrow-Jersey - BA pulled off + increased LGW/JER, bmi starts LHR/JER 26Mar, BA hasn't returned to LHR/JER.
Heathrow-Inverness - BA moved service to LGW, bmi started LHR/INV, BA has maintained service at LGW and to be shifted to Flybe as part of BA Connect transfer. No BA outrageous actions there.
Heathrow-Bremen - BA pulled off, CityFlyer picked up route from LGW, BA pulled off that after taking over CityFlyer. Ryanair/easyJet now in war between STN + LTN for Bremen route, BA hasn't returned.
Heathrow-Hannover - CityFlyer started alongside BA; BA pulled off LHR; BA took over CityFlyer and later pulled off LGW-HAJ as well. Air Berlin quite happy operating HAJ-STN and no sign of BA returning.
Gatwick-Dusseldorf - BA pulled off, haven't returned. New carriers have started inc LH on LCY-DUS.
Gatwick-Munich - BA took over route which Deutsche BA started, haven't returned.
Gatwick-Genoa - old BCal/BUA route operated by BA for years, Ryanair came along on STN-GOA and BA pulled off, haven't returned.
Gatwick-Bilbao - moved from LHR, Go/easyJet came along from STN, BA pulled off and haven't returned.
The only routes which I can think of where BA has operated, pulled off, and then returned to the routes at a later date (like Newquay) are Vilnius, Riga, Zurich and Salzburg. It has since pulled off both of the Baltic routes again and this winter is its first on LGW-Salzburg again, where admittedly it is competing with Thomsonfly. It only went back on LGW-ZRH after easyJet had pulled off due to high airport charges at ZRH.
Compare that to routes on which BA faced no competition in the last ten years and had a monopoly either from LGW or from LON in its entirety, and now faces competition:
Naples (bmi + easyJet)
Verona (Ryanair)
Venice (easyJet, Ryanair, bmi)
Bologna (Ryanair/Forli)
Pisa (Ryanair)
Edinburgh (easyJet LGW)
Glasgow (easyJet LGW)
Inverness (bmi LHR, easyJet LTN)
Marseilles (easyJet LGW)
Toulouse (easyJet LGW, Ryanair CCF-STN)
Bordeaux (easyJet LTN)
Geneva (BA monopoly on LGW, easyJet appeared)
Krakow (every man + his dog)
Nice (easyJet LGW)
Athens (easyJet LGW)
I can't immediately think of any others, but I'd be hard pushed to quote any example of what you seem to be suggesting. Bear in mind that Manx/ BRAL / CitiExpress / BA Connect route planning has been autonomous of Waterside for several years. GBALU53, just out of interest, can you actually suggest where this has happened before? Granted, the above doesn't paint a pretty picture of BA's management of regional routes (or lack thereof). It might well be incompetent, but I can't see that it's predatory.

footster
13th Feb 2007, 19:18
I see today that Newquay Airport has today announced that £11 million pound funding from Europe.This will now leave CCC to borrow £10 million. What does everybody else think of this and do they still have doubts as to whether Newquay will live upto CCC expectations of 800,000 passengers next year.

EI-BUD
13th Feb 2007, 19:40
Although its hard to now exactly why BA is interested in this route, the debate about the reasons on here is very interesting. I mean NQY would seem like an unlikely destination for BA given previous experience in the market.

The whole noise that Ryanair made about new charges at the airport sounded like FR were going to pull out. And lets face FR tend to squeeze the small airports. With this in mind I can imagine the airport in fear of losing such substantial business offered great incentives for BA.

I also believe that BA wont adversely affect Air Southwest to much. BA will be getting alot of passengers into the system at LGW who will be connecting to BA destinations. BA will not be an option for the business traveller with one rotation a day.

Does anyone on here know or have any ideas on what the proportion of business/leisure passengers use the route?

BA would have this sort of info so I reckon that they would have a good handle on all that setting up the route?

What does anyone else think ? Now if Easyjet had been the operator to launch the route that could have been interesting .. FR may have came on to the same route.!!!

footster
13th Feb 2007, 20:05
As I understand it from local press etc CCC have given FR and ASW very big concessions for using the airport and they are not the only ones. CCC have dug themselves a very big hole in the way in which they have gone about taking on the airport in view of the fact the RAF still wanted St Mawgan as a JFA base.So they can not afford to lose face with this one so they will do what ever it takes to make it look as if it is successfull even given out rediculous concessions.

propaganda
13th Feb 2007, 20:06
Surely, the point must be improved airlinks between the SW & LGW, it's better for the travelling public and the local economies. Air SW can fight their corner on their other regional routes if needs be, fair competition or not. Don't throw your toys out of the pram just yet. Regional airtransport in the UK has to grow as the roads become grid-locked, small operators like Air SW can continue to thrive and serve smaller, more restricted airports., It'll just require a more focused strategy . How much did Branson pay for the rail Franchise.;)

Globaliser
14th Feb 2007, 10:02
Although its hard to now exactly why BA is interested in this route, the debate about the reasons on here is very interesting. I mean NQY would seem like an unlikely destination for BA given previous experience in the market.Obviously, NQY didn't work for BA before. But that was before FR came in to the market. And time has passed, and Newquay and the surrounding area have developed quite a lot as a short break destination from the London area. So I have been wondering whether BA will effectively be exploiting the traffic in a market that FR has developed but no longer receives enough subsidies to serve? :)

captain_flynn
14th Feb 2007, 12:30
I don't fully understand why BA has returned to NQY. When they were the only airline providing an air service to Newquay they called it loss making. How do they propose to make a profit when airlines such as Air Southwest, Ryanair and Aer Arann (I think) are providing not only services to London but to other parts of the country too?

thebeehive
15th Feb 2007, 09:39
The only implication is that I guess Air Southwest might move their handling contract at LGW away from BA! Still, given BA's approach to third-party handling at LGW over the last few years, they might see that as a bonus rather than a loss.

As I understand it WOW will move to the South Terminal and be handled by someone else in realction to BA's new NQY route. As for it being a bonus for WOW being handled by someone else, in terms of what they pay yes it may save them a few bob but no way will one of the generic handling conpanies such as Servisair/GlobeGround/Swissport/Circusair etc give the service BA do, especially in terms of in terminal handling.

EI-BUD
15th Feb 2007, 10:02
save them a few bob but no way will one of the generic handling conpanies such as Servisair/GlobeGround/Swissport/Circusair etc give the service BA do, especially in terms of in terminal handling..

The beehive.I am not claiming to know anything about the above statement but a few comments were posted on the bmi or bmed thread stating that bmed crew thought BA handling for their franchise operation were poor enough. Does BA really have a great reputation above of all the others? Anytimes I have flown into or out of LGW the handling has seemed to be seemless enough for FR and others...but then again thats only what I was seeing as a passenger.

thebeehive
15th Feb 2007, 11:25
EI-BUD, my quote wasn't in response to you.
BMED is LHR, not LGW (it's personal opinion) but the LGW handling is better than LHR in my experience when it comes to BA, may come down to the size of the operation but that's my view.
I've flown from the South before numerous times from LGW on a number of different airlines and the handling isn't bad, often very good but as an overall package I believe flying from the North at LGW and being handled in the terminal by BA staff and on the ramp is better than flying from the South and being 'looked after' by a generic ground handler.

HZ123
15th Feb 2007, 13:37
BA ground handling performance is less than satisfactory. In November they lost 30% of their work when GB switched to Aviance. This was due to poor performance.

thebeehive
15th Feb 2007, 14:41
Ground handling at BA isn't great I agree I was primarily talking about use of the North and the BA terminal staff who currently handle WOW.

Outoftheblue22
15th Feb 2007, 20:26
Regarding previous posts about ASW's handling at LGW, I think you will find they are staying in the North Terminal but moving to another handling agent.

L G Double-Yew
16th Feb 2007, 19:47
Anyone know which handling agent ASW are moving to at LGW??

footster
20th Feb 2007, 08:48
I have today received an interesting email through my local aviation forum from ASW concerning the goings on with Ryanair and BA at Newquay.It certainly makes interesting reading and is no holds bared.As it is not on their web site I dont know if it is for public release but if you would like to email me I will send you a personal copy. Obviously once it is up for public release I shall post it.It would be very interesting in what everybody thinks about it.

WOWBOY
20th Feb 2007, 16:19
^^
I also have read an article relating to the BA/ASW/RYR situation, and If it's true the conspiracy theory that was mentioned really puts a new angle to things.

But if M.Naylor has :cough: then it's a shame.

WOWBOY
20th Feb 2007, 16:21
NEW ROUTE:
Newquay to Cork
with Air southwest.
The new flights start on May 4 and tickets go on sale today. They will operate three days a week on Monday, Friday and Sunday throughout May, with a Wednesday flight being introduced from June.
Flights leave Newquay at 11.20am and arrive in Cork at 12.10pm, giving a flight time of less than an hour. Flights leave Cork at 12.55 and arrive in Newquay at 13.45.

footster
20th Feb 2007, 17:47
Wowboy did you find the article quite scathing in its attack on BA/Ryanair and that reading between the lines from what M G was saying that ASW are ready for the fight and are expecting to win it and stay around alot longer.

WOWBOY
20th Feb 2007, 20:12
The one that i read stated that Malcom Naylor was resigning and leaving the company late May, which they said was the new conspiracy.

Yeah, ASW did seem confident in their approach to BA.

L G Double-Yew
20th Feb 2007, 21:08
Don't waste your time on conspiracy theories, whatever bizarre story M G tries to spin in ABTN!!

BA had a pair of slots going spare due to an under-performing LGW-GLA rotation, and for whatever reason somebody at BA HQ thought a service to NQY would be a bright thing to do. End of story.

BA will lose a pile of money, BA will lose (have lost?) the ASW handling contract at LGW, giving another handling agent their long-awaited chance to get into handling domestics in North Terminal, and BA's name generally mud in the South West having previously dumped their services and now coming back to take on the regional carrier they encouraged to set up in the first place.

So everybody loses apart from (a) ASW who will have a long and successful future at NQY due to their local market loyalty/local marketing presence and rock-bottom cost base and (b) A.N.Other handling agent who gets a foothold in domestic handling in North Terminal.

Well, that's my humble opinion anyway!

dingodiva
21st Feb 2007, 12:37
LG Double-Yew

Praise be for an intelligent posting. Ginsberg's conspiracy theories have been around for years and should be treated (like crop circles and Elvis reincarnations) simply as harmless entertainment. The astonishing thing about the BA move into NQY is which bright spark thought of it in the first place, and why on earth did all the accumulated brain-power in Waterside agree to something so obviously 'barking'. If, as you say. BA has lost a lucrative handling contract for the 'benefit' of losing more money and reputation in the South West on a once daily off-peak service, then what is this all about. I guess the answer is simply whimsical management, which, as a BA shareholder, I really do find very scary indeed.

GROUNDHOG
21st Feb 2007, 21:01
As part of that local loyal market I would fly with whoever was cheapest or most convenient and I doubt that many down here would do much different. Have to say though that WOW seem to be very good at local marketing whereas BA are invisible in that department.

Newquay to Cork? I am sure someone has done the market research and would prove me wrong but seems a tad brave in my humble opinion.

Good luck anyway to Air Southwest.

Charlie Roy
21st Feb 2007, 21:30
GROUNDHOG

Aer Arann and Air Wales have operating the Newquay - Cork route in recent history, and before that I'm sure other carriers too.

Must be something about it... Makes you wonder why the others didn't stick at it though...

Devonair
21st Feb 2007, 22:08
Plymouth - Cork operated for many years. I was surprised WOW didn't opt for that, but then again they have opted for DUB service from NQY, rather than PLH. I would have thought EXT-ORK would have been more popular. Good luck to them.

Flightrider
22nd Feb 2007, 11:16
Everyone is assuming that BA were actually making money out of handling ASW's flights at Gatwick. Knowing the costs of the Gatwick operation, it is by no means a foregone conclusion that it was making money - it all depends on how you look at allocating bits of cost to different bits of the network!

I would have thought that BA would also be happy to get ASW off their check-in zones given that they are being "squeezed" on the numbers of desks they have at Gatwick from when Continental move into North Terminal from July.

GROUNDHOG
22nd Feb 2007, 19:17
Charlie Roy - Neither Aer Aerran nor Air Wales actually operated Newquay to Cork although both announced they intended to do so. I am not sure anyone has operated it for a good many years.

I agree with the comment that Exeter to Cork would appear on the face of it to be a better prospect, we can all speculate though and I guess it is the man or woman that has (hopefully) done the market research is the one with the best view!!

L G Double-Yew
22nd Feb 2007, 21:01
Groundhog - sorry to correct you, but Aer Arran certainly did operate NQY-ORK last year. Loads were about 50% on a 60-odd seater, so ASW should do ok on a 50-seater.

nospeedrestriction9
23rd Feb 2007, 10:06
Does anyone know why RE pulled out of the ORK route, was it due to poor load factors?

Raven30
23rd Feb 2007, 12:38
They didn't pull out, it was just a short term contract for the summer season.

GROUNDHOG
23rd Feb 2007, 20:48
I stand corrected re Aer Arran, thank you.

If it was a 'short term contract' then that would indicate it was not flown at Aer Arrans risk and was in fact a charter. If it was a Summer only schedule then do they intend to repeat it and if not, why not?

Raven30
23rd Feb 2007, 21:26
Groundhog

And I stand corrected ref Contracts and Schedules!!

It was a summer schedule, and as for this year, I don't know at present. With ASWs announcement, I'm not sure that the route could provide enough business for both carriers.

L G Double-Yew
18th Mar 2007, 20:30
Interesting to see Greenpeace are calling for a boycott of BA's new flight to NQY. I guess it's a fairly obvious target for the green lobby - using a 737 on a short-hop like LGW-NQY just can't make sense. Presumably a 737 is only efficient when it's in the cruise.... and it ain't ever going to get in the cruise on such a short flight. A good opportunity for ASW to work their PR machine on the environmental benefits of operating regional aircraft on regional routes.

BCALBOY
18th Mar 2007, 22:55
So are we saying its ok for Air Berlin to fly 737s the 150 odd milles from STN/MAN...Ryanair the 195 miles fm STN/BLK , Easyjet the 248 miles from NCL/STN OR THE 107 MILES FROM BFS/GLA , BMI BABY the 240 miles from EMA/GLA but its not ok for BA to Fly the 226 miles from LGW/NQY ?

Many of these LOCO routes also offer low fares to create artificial demand....e.g FR offering 1p fares on BLK/STN !:8

anotherspaceman
18th Mar 2007, 23:44
If WOW start operating in and out of Exeter they will be crushed by Flybe. I think they probably have more sense than to irritate or antagonise them.

Ambrosia
18th Mar 2007, 23:45
Groundhog.....Air Wales did operate NQY-ORK.....albeit briefly

jabird
20th Mar 2007, 12:58
Interesting to see Greenpeace are calling for a boycott of BA's new flight to NQY. I guess it's a fairly obvious target for the green lobby - using a 737 on a short-hop like LGW-NQY just can't make sense. Presumably a 737 is only efficient when it's in the cruise.... and it ain't ever going to get in the cruise on such a short flight. A good opportunity for ASW to work their PR machine on the environmental benefits of operating regional aircraft on regional routes.

Yes, but if this a/c previously operated on an under-performing GLA sector, I don't see what the problem is. Talk about storm in a tea cup, but they love to have a go. It is just a total nonsense.

GBALU53
20th Mar 2007, 13:16
When is a short sector not a short sector is when it is to to Newquay?.
Direct line the Gatwick-Newquay will be ops by B.A. is 185 miles give a metre or two.
Direct line on the Gatwick-Jersey by B.A is 140 miles give or take an inch an Jersey has five Boeing 737 flights a day at the moment and six from Sunday.
How about Bournemouth-East Midlands 125 miles direct by Titan Mail flight five times a week or does this not count as it is operated at night.
So when you look around Greenpiece need to do some research and go to these places as well where else might there be more short sectors by the like of a 737, these sectors came to me as Tommy Cooper used to say just like that.

Raven30
20th Mar 2007, 15:51
Bit of an own goal for Greenpeace today - their plan was to offer BA passengers a free train ticket to London in lieu of them going by air. Trouble is, the branch line connecting Newquay to the main line is closed for repairs and the service has been replaced by a bus! So much for the train being just as convenient. Not many takers from what I hear.

GROUNDHOG
20th Mar 2007, 20:04
BA should certainly send Greenpeace a thank you letter since all they succeeded in doing was advertise the new service in a a far more efficient way than BA ever could. Agree with Raven 30 a great own goal.

darren1
20th Mar 2007, 20:11
I'm disgusted at how the minority that is Greenpeace has jumped onto a sinking bandwagon. FR fly daily to NQY from STN, yet the loony greens said noting about that. BA used to fly multiple daily flights down to NQY!!!

I just wish BE would fly SOU-NQY daily as it would make my holidays so much easier.

chiglet
20th Mar 2007, 20:16
Direct line the Gatwick-Newquay will be ops by B.A. is 185 miles give a metre or two.
Direct line on the Gatwick-Jersey by B.A is 140 miles give or take an inch
The "slight" difference is that the Gatwick-Jersery is that several miles just have to be done by a boat...[unless you are the Son of GOD] :ok:
Giving GP a free seat, then?
watp,iktch

Raven30
20th Mar 2007, 20:59
I would imagine that Greenpeace chose this flight because it is operated by the national flag carrier.

Flightrider
4th May 2007, 16:37
Airport authority.

Flew through there last week - it really is to be avoided at all costs. I have never known an airport where the security staff feel the need to make incessant announcements summoning Mr X, Mrs Y or Miss Z back to the security screening point for random bag checks. Check-in area is hellish and the departure lounge is only marginally better, with the whole building punctuated by these decibel-rich announcements. You can put up with a building site in the hope that things will get better, but unless the mentality changes alongside the physical buildings, it won't improve!

virginblue
21st Sep 2007, 08:10
Looks as if Newquay might get a new seasonal (high season, once weekly) route to Germany in 2008 with one of the big boys.

Rubber Duck
21st Sep 2007, 11:23
Flightrider,

When you next travel through the Airport I think you will notice a big difference. As for PA's, you were unfamilair with how the Airport had to operate with DfT regulations which lended itself to a requirement for such announcements, unfortunately passenger ignorance has to be tolerated for the safety of all Passengers. Changes in infrastruture have now removed such a need.

As for German services, lets hope it happens:D

JulietNovemberPapa
21st Sep 2007, 13:14
My family home (where I was born and grew up for 18 years) is about 1 1/2 hours by car from NQY.

I've flown NQY-STN-NQY a couple of times a few years ago (on ex-Buzz 733s). I must say that I found NQY to be a pleasant, efficient little airport.

conradmueller
21st Sep 2007, 13:59
The german service will be a sat.-only flight DUS-NQY-DUS during the peak season 01.Jul-31.Aug.2008. Times and booking ability will be from next week.

airhumberside
21st Sep 2007, 18:19
Is the airline LH or possibly AB (dont think it would be anyone else)

conradmueller
21st Sep 2007, 19:43
it is LH op. by EW or CL

ADC2604
22nd Sep 2007, 12:25
Is it me or does that seem a bit of a random route at a random time - I meant you have EXT up the road looking for regular scheduled German routes and along comes LH with a once weekly summer only DUS flight - something just doesn't seem right about that.

virginblue
22nd Sep 2007, 12:48
Lufthansa is adding a lot of rather "exotic" seasonmal destinations for summer 2008 from DUS, HAM, TXL and STR. DUS-NQY is just one of them. We are talking about 10 or so flights to NQY in total, so not exactly a fully fledged scheduled service.

ADC2604
23rd Sep 2007, 16:42
First time I have ever heard Newquay and Exotic in the same sentence lol - Well I wish LH would do an EXT service but that is for another thread.

virginblue
23rd Sep 2007, 17:35
The route is aiming purely at leisure traffic. Cornwall is actually quite popular with some Germans as it constantly features on prime time TV. Believe it or not, but (according to Wikipedia)...

[Rosamunde Pilcher's] books are especially popular in Germany due to the fact that the national TV station ZDF (Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen) has produced more than 70 of her stories for TV. These TV films are some of the most popular programmes on ZDF. Both Pilcher and ZDF programme director Dr. Claus Beling were awarded the British Tourism Award in 2002 for the positive effect the books and the TV versions had on tourism.
As your wife or mother will probably be able to explain, most of these books are linked to Cornwall.

Ian Brooks
23rd Sep 2007, 18:02
When I stayed just outside Penzance this summer ( did we have one ) there were so many Germans we almost seemed outnumbered

Ian

LGWAlan
24th Sep 2007, 12:57
DUS-NQY 0950-1030/1100-1335 LH4888/9 Sats 28/6-30/8 ops EW on CR2

Jamesair
24th Sep 2007, 17:00
Is any airline going to take up flights to NCL in 2008? I'm sure there is a great potential there....MME seemed to do well.

ADC2604
24th Sep 2007, 17:02
What happened to Whoosh - they were suppose to do a Newquay - BHX/ Dundee but it has been taken off their website as well as NQY site

Rubber Duck
28th Oct 2007, 11:30
The County Council has had its State Aid Application approved by the EU to fund the transition of the Airport from Military to Civil use.

Great news for the Airport and the Cornish economy.

danieloakworth
28th Oct 2007, 20:33
So the cheques still in the post then?:cool:

Rubber Duck
29th Oct 2007, 18:39
ASW have just announced this evening new flights from April 2008 to Newcastle and Glasgow:D

Outoftheblue22
29th Oct 2007, 20:32
As well as Newcastle and Glasgow, ASW have also announced Cork comes back daily from April 08, and a winter-only Chambery operation. Also from Plymouth to Newcastle, Glasgow, Cork, Dublin, Chambery. Great news for the far south west!

Flying Farmer
30th Oct 2007, 08:04
Ohhh well done ASW getting a few new routes in Cornwall, did you realise this was done at the expense of the Bristol base, more than a few guys now looking for jobs :*

nivsy
16th Nov 2007, 18:45
Heard the other day that the local authorities are not ready to take control of the airfield on date agreed and are asking MoD for assistance. Anyone else heard anything similar?

Nivsy

ADC2604
16th Nov 2007, 19:32
Hope everything is sorted otherwise these new routes won't be going ahead. I understand BE to be expanding at NQY, announcement due shortly. Possible competition with ASW plus maybe some newbies...

Watch this space. :ok:

cornishsimon
16th Nov 2007, 21:03
well there hasnt been anything on local press about any problems with the hand over or about any expansion plans for BE

ADC2604
Hope everything is sorted otherwise these new routes won't be going ahead. I understand BE to be expanding at NQY, announcement due shortly. Possible competition with ASW plus maybe some newbies...

Watch this space. :ok:

do you have any suggestion as to what routes were talking about here ??

ADC2604
16th Nov 2007, 21:42
Couldn't say at this stage I am afraid - but a very good source suggests similar routes to ASW new announcements or possibly another international service..........I am piecing together some hints from a reliable source of mine.

Any new routes will be announced shortly so it is just a case of holding tight until then.....sorry

cornishsimon
17th Nov 2007, 22:46
looks like NQY has a new website, must of used BA'a spotty geeks to set it up as most of it doesnt work !

toledoashley
18th Nov 2007, 09:49
Any idea of a new route to Luton - the RE flight used to be quite handy for me.

ADC2604
18th Nov 2007, 11:40
I wish NQY would put live flight arrivals on their website - !!

ADC2604
18th Nov 2007, 11:44
Oh hold on they have - although its a shame the flights do not actually operate into NQY!

This is shown on the website:

Live Flight Info
Departures

12:45 Glasgow
BMA - Departed 12:45
13:10 Isle of Man
BAW - Delayed 13:30
13:20 Liverpool
BAW - On Time
Arrivals

12:50 Glasgow
BMA - Expected 13:05
13:10 Jersey
JEA - On Time
13:15 Amsterdam
KLM - On Time

:confused: :ugh:

Rubber Duck
18th Nov 2007, 12:10
The Airport is currently testing its new website to go live shortly, so hold your horses. Live flight information will be along shortly:ok:

ADC2604
18th Nov 2007, 15:12
good good - lets just hope that there are not spotters rushing to the airport to see a busy NQY apron - they will be sorely disappointed :)

FS01
18th Nov 2007, 18:54
NQY IOM thats a way to get a rumour going.... Its only just died don here about WOW operating a service next summer!

cornishsimon
18th Nov 2007, 23:59
FS01,
im fairly new to this site and not aware of rumours regarding WOW and NQY-IOM
any info hapily received!

i use WOW fairly often from NQY as well as BA from NQY for connecting flights.

apart from WOW's new Glasgow and Newcastle and restarting Cork does anyone know of any other new routes for any airlines in the pipeline? and does anyone have a list of routes they think might work from NQY?

i know that the airport has announces that they want spain, france and germany, what do we all think? personally i would of thought that LCY might be there or there abouts either with WOW or BA

cornishsimon
29th Nov 2007, 23:05
Been away on holiday and missed this, Newquay airport's website and by all accounts local press have been reporting the following

Newquay – Birmingham
Flights operate on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 1st April 2008
Fares from £21.99 one way including taxes and charges
Newquay - Glasgow
Flights operate on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 1st April 2008
Fares from £29.99 one way including taxes and charges
Newquay – Southampton
Flights operate daily from 30th March 2008
Fares from £21.99 one way including taxes and charges
Newquay/Isle of Man and Newquay – Reus
Schedule and fares to be announced shortly

Seems as if this is in addition to:
EDI, year round
BHD restarts 21st May08
GVA ends april 08

oldpax
30th Nov 2007, 05:53
Brymon was a great little airline I started using it in 1978 while working in Algeria.Then it used to fly into Gatwick with the twin Otters ,when they got Dash 7s they flew into Heathrow which was even better,however after a job in Cuba I returned and found the dash in BA colours ,they had taken over and a couple of weeks later flights into Heathrow were changed to Gatwick"better for the business people they said!!I think they did all this just to get the slot at Heathrow!Mind you I still didnt like flying Plymouth-Newquay -gatwick and paying extra for the privilage!!

putneyuk
30th Nov 2007, 09:57
I notice on the new Newquay Airport website, that Skybus are operating a flight today to St Brieuc in Brittany returning tomorrow and a Skybus spokesman says they are always looking at new routes from Newquay.

FS01
1st Dec 2007, 11:32
The rumours of WOW to IOM were going around IOM not NQY should have made that clearer. It was when the WOW crew were opereating IOM-MAN for BE. They knew that WOW had evaluated the route this year but obviously it was not felt viable:sad:

cornishsimon
1st Dec 2007, 12:50
FS01
The rumours of WOW to IOM were going around IOM not NQY should have made that clearer. It was when the WOW crew were opereating IOM-MAN for BE. They knew that WOW had evaluated the route this year but obviously it was not felt viable:sad:

seems as if flymaybe are going to have a pop at IOM-NQY, might well of been that the route wasnt as high on the list as Glasgow and Newcastle for WOW. i think from the discussion i had with a member of Cabin crew on a WOW flight on Thursday that there are plans to increase fleet and routes in the pipeline so that we might well see more routes and increases in popular routes when this is in place.

ChristianLee
Flying NQY-STN-BRE next weekend with Ryanair. I'll be interesting to experience my first trip from Newquay Airport, and indeed with a LCC.

i dont know about flying with ryanair as this should be fairly busy, but my recent 2 flights in and out of NQY have been very, very good from the airport point of view.

used WOW on 20th, arrived late at airport, gone 20past 12 for 1pm flight, checked in, straight through security and into departures by half 12. G-WOWE sat on stand waiting along with G-JEDM (BE674). boarded early, after BE flight, took off early and before BE, arrived in DUB early.

On return on Thursday arrived early, bags were out and i was out of terminal within 5mins of landing which was actually before scheduled arrival time of flight!
big, big improvement, very smooth

GW76
1st Dec 2007, 13:47
I expect WOW will pull off GLA-NQY before too long, perhaps even before it starts. There has been little advertising and they are unheard of north of the border. Unlike Flybe. Although I would much prefer to fly WOW than BE.

marlowe
1st Dec 2007, 14:03
Cornishsimon no chance of a NQY LCY route, LCY is bursting at the seams and slots are at a premium there and if you get a slot you need to use it on a more lucrative market. BA have pulled out of the regions and they have have other ideas for its LCY operation .

cornishsimon
1st Dec 2007, 14:14
marlowe

tend to agree looking at it further, still i rekon the route would work! iv got a funny feeling that we might well see another London route added from NQY at some stage soon, perhaps Luton?? know that it was done for a little bit last year as a last minute thing by Aer Arann, perhaps just to use a spare aircraft or something? i have no idea what the loads were like but i would guess that with the right advertising that there is plenty of room for expansion into London from NQY

does anyone know why Aer Arann pulled out of the 2 NQY routes that they operated ? any chance of seeing them back ??

GW76
I expect WOW will pull off GLA-NQY before too long, perhaps even before it starts. There has been little advertising and they are unheard of north of the border. Unlike Flybe. Although I would much prefer to fly WOW than BE.

in my opinion i dont think they will, they are daily for GLA-NQY, flybe arent (3weekly) and competition on a route hasnt done WOW too much damage so far on the LGW & MAN routes.

cornishsimon
1st Dec 2007, 15:41
agreed ChristianLee the airport does have a huge amount of potention.

just look at the route expansion over the past 12/18months.
BA back
FLYBE
Lufthansa

i think that there is loads of potention for more UK domestic/Irish routes as well as European routes. Obviously this will depend on the loads for Dusseldorf but i wudnt be at all surprised to see Amsterdam & Paris added in the very near future.

As for the handing over from MOD whenever that actually happens!......
means Cornwall airport Ltd (replaced Serco) taking on fire cover, ATC maintenance etc but when the MOD are gone it will leave the airport operator with loads and i do mean loads of hanger space to play with and to make use of as well as hell of a lot of land for expansion, lots of aircraft parking space etc etc etc!

iv got a feeling that in time you might well see something like a DHL/Fedex/freight base/hub on the site, making use of land/aircraft parking/hangers for sorting etc

and lets not forget the runway, which is hell of an asset:
RunwaysDirection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runway#Orientation_and_dimensions)LengthSurfaceft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_%28unit_of_length%29)m (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre)12/309,0062,745Asphalt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asphalt)
i think if things are in place you will start to see this as remain as an emergency diversion airfield for both MOD and commercial aircraft.

just my thoughts, i dont work in the industry but do live locally and really want to see it all work.

out of interest has anyone got any ideas of routes/airlines that could work at NQY ???

Dash-7 lover
1st Dec 2007, 18:46
Flybe's schedule is just token 'space filling' on their part. Rather than do nothing with the aircraft for a few hours after the morning rush they're trying to have a half-hearted pop at ASW. Can't see it being an issue for ASW at all. What would be more ironic is if they leased an ASW DH3 for a few months and they ended up flying some of the routes!!

GW76
1st Dec 2007, 18:53
I'm holding in for some KLM action.
You'll do yourself an injury, as you'll be holding for a while.:eek:

Rubber Duck
2nd Dec 2007, 08:51
There seems to be a few regular fliers out of NQY, what do people think of the Airport since the new company took over from Serco?

ADC2604
2nd Dec 2007, 10:58
Dash-7 lover

It is very disappointing to learn of your 'thoughts'.......I am confident that if this was the case there are other markets that would be at the top of their list as opposed to NQY but alas, they chose NQY and this was probably because as an airline they do their research and they know the market.

The aviation industry is dog eat dog world so, I am afraid its tough luck for ASW - if they are the preferred airline for passengers there will be no problem.......it all boils down to what the passengers want so until it all starts I see no point in making premature assumptions on the success of the operations for either carrier.

Look on the bright sight its another movement and tail on the apron for NQY airport.

FlyingBoi
2nd Dec 2007, 13:19
Here here!

cornishsimon
3rd Dec 2007, 11:46
just reading through what everyone is saying on the thread
dont think flybe have a hope in hell of doing any damage to air southwest on the GLA route to be honest with you.

does anyone have any idea what a/c flybe are going to be using on the routes into NQY next year ?

GLA
EDI
SOU
BHD
BHX

ADC2604
3rd Dec 2007, 17:29
Most D8-400s but the SOU will be a E145.....not sure exactly on all but am pretty sure the others are all Q400s Reus will prob be a E195 but personally cannot see how it would work. E195 not based at NQY and no other REU flights so can't do a W pattern.

FS01
3rd Dec 2007, 19:34
I am told that the flybe system shows a Q400 as it will be an IOM based a/c operating REU

San Expiry
3rd Dec 2007, 20:03
'And I can't really see why this part of the world can't sustain multiple international flights with the correct advertising'.

Unfortunatley, I can. Cornwall is one of the most economically 'depressed' areas of the UK and will never reach population critical mass to sustain such services. Newquay seems to be in vogue at present; it saviour might be its accessiblity for the Plymouth population.

Is BA still flying to LGW and has it affected Air Southwest greatly?

cornishsimon
3rd Dec 2007, 20:08
San Expiry
Is BA still flying to LGW and has it affected Air Southwest greatly?

yes BA are still flying NQY-LGW on a reduced winter schedule, but back to 7per week for summer 08.
doesnt seem to of had much impact on WOW as they are still operating as before
dont know about loads on both tho

cornishsimon
3rd Dec 2007, 20:23
would be good to start seeing some jets as apart from the current BA, ryanair and bmibaby 737 movements we only currently see DH8-300's and Q400's
would be great to start seeing some E145 and E195's down here

also notice that skybus have announced that they are starting Newquay-Cardiff from 2008 !

every little helps as they say!

ADC2604
4th Dec 2007, 17:46
It would be a shame if it was the Q400 on the Reus service......then again the Q400 did operate Exeter to Murcia a couple of times so it is possible. The bookings are not available in shares yet so don't know for certain what type it will be.

Rubber Duck
12th Dec 2007, 09:19
I notice on their website they are advertising for Air Traffic Controllers, ATE Engineers and Deputy Fire Services Manager!!!

cornishsimon
16th Dec 2007, 20:15
from bbc news website:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7146159.stm

Environmental Protestors have climbed onto the roof of Newquay Airport in Cornwall to highlight their concerns about climate change.

The group from Rising Tide UK wants to stop any further expansion, but airport managers said they were misinformed and put passengers' safety in jeopardy.
One climate campaigner, known only as Benjamin, said: "We really need to get carbon emissions under control."
The protest coincides with new flight route from Newquay to Geneva.
The climate campaigners were persuaded down by police and security staff after spending three hours on the roof.
Sgt Andy Buckley said: "We do have some concerns about the roof condition."
"There was some work taking place there so it's important that we safely get the protestors down and establish whether any damage has been done." In a statement a spokesperson for the airport said: "These protestors are attacking an airport that is providing an enviable example on how to develop sustainable aviation."

airhumberside
18th Dec 2007, 20:34
Ryanair have today announced Gerona and Alicante. Anyone know what the frequency is?

Charlie Roy
18th Dec 2007, 22:24
Both new Ryanair routes will operate Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
Stansted will increase to 13 flights per week for the summer.

Seems like the Ryanair and Newquay have resolved their differences then?

cornishsimon
18th Dec 2007, 22:34
just caught the very end of the bbc local news! nothing on the cornwall news website yet and nothing on the newquay airport website either!

caught something from a Ryanair spokesperson saying somthing along the lines of Ryanair have come to a workable compromise with Cornwall County Council

i expect that the px are still paying the 5quid departure charge as i dont see how they could police ryanair customers not and others still paying it and also no mention from what i heard on the news that its been dropped! i would however suspect that the airport is going to charge a significantly reduced landing charge in order to secure the increased capacity to Stanstead along with the new European flights

cornishsimon
19th Dec 2007, 10:50
From Newquay Airports website:

<H2>Ryanair Announces New Destinations

Increased frequency to Stansted and Spanish flights confirmed with Ryanair from Newquay Cornwall Airport
Newquay Cornwall Airport will now have a total of 24 routes for 2008 after Ryanair announced today that they are establishing services to Girona and Alicante 3 times a week. Ryanair will also increase their Stansted service to double daily making London and the Northern Home Counties even more accessible.
The commercial team headed up by Karen Medweth the Airport Commercial Manager has been working to develop routes with existing and new airlines over the past year. Their success means Newquay will be one of the fastest growing regional airports in the UK next year.
Karen Medweth says "It's an exciting time for NewquayCornwallAirport. We have developed excellent relationships with a wide range of airlines.
Travel surveys undertaken earlier this year demonstrated high demand for flights to Spain and we are delighted that Ryanair has responded to this opportunity. This is an important step towards becoming a commercially sustainable airport, plus a long term benefit and service to the residents of Cornwall.
With these new routes Cornish residents will be able to access some of the most attractive destinations in Spain direct from their local airport, saving long surface journeys to other airports in the southwest and the southeast. We also expect to see a major boost in the number of overseas visitors from Spain who will now also be able to fly directly to Cornwall".
</H2>
Flight times as follows:

<H2>Newquay to Alicante

Days
Dep:
Arr:
Flt No.
Tue, Thurs and Sat
(From 05/03/08)
19:35
23:10FR1076
Alicante to Newquay

Days
Dep:
Arr:
Flt No.
Tue, Thurs and Sat
(From 05/03/08)
17:2019:10FR1075

Newquay to Girona

Days
Dep:
Arr:
Flt No.
Tue, Thurs and Sat
(From 31/03/08)
09:20
12:35FR9169
Girona to Newquay

Days
Dep:
Arr:
Flt No.
Tue, Thurs and Sat
(From 31/03/08)
07:4008:55FR9168

Newquay to London Stansted (until 29.03.08)

DaysDep:Arr:Flt No.Sun
(28.10.07 - 27.03.08)18:4519:50FR9905Wed, Thurs
(28.10.07 - 27.03.08) 19:0020:05FR9905Mon
(29.10.07 - 24.03.08)16:4517:50FR9905Fri
(02.11.07 - 28.03.08)12:3013:35FR9905Tues
(18.03.08 - 25.03.08)21:2520:30FR9905Sat
(15.03.08 - 29.03.08)17:2518:30FR9905
Newquay to London Stansted (from 31.03.08)

DaysDep:Arr:Flt No.Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat
(from 31.03.08)08:2009:25FR9903

London Stansted to Newquay (until 29.03.08)

DaysDep:Arr:Flt No.Sun
(28.10.07 - 27.03.08)17:1018:20FR9904Wed, Thurs
(28.10.07 - 27.03.08) 17:3018:35FR9904Mon
(29.10.07 - 24.03.08)15:1516:20FR9904Fri
(02.11.07 - 28.03.08)11:0012:05FR9904Tues
(18.03.08 - 25.03.08)19:5521:00FR9904Sat
(15.03.08 - 29.03.08)15:5517:00FR9904
London Stansted to Newquay (from 31.03.08)

DaysDep:Arr:Flt No.Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat
(from 31.03.08)06:4507:55FR9902
</H2>
so...... do we think that there is more to come from existing or new carriers prior to the summer08 schedules kicking in ???

seems like its going to be quite a busy summer for NQY:D

GROUNDHOG
19th Dec 2007, 12:14
Obviously pleased to see all these new routes out of Newquay, will the A30 now be emptier with all these flights going to London or is someone going to get burned?

Spanish routes are interesting and there may well be a golden opportunity for regional development if a concerted effort is made in Spain to attract incoming traffic, something Destination South West need to latch on to.

Of course many working residents of Cornwall are directly involved in tourism and therefore unlikely to take Summer holidays away when they earn most of their income but nonetheless I am sure there will be a strong response from the retired sector.

Five years ago I doubt any of this would have worked but who knows maybe with the newer demographics of the area the market is now strong enough to sustain the growth..... time will tell!

ADC2604
19th Dec 2007, 15:09
Just as Flybe announce expansion plans at NQY, Ryanair jump in.

Reus vs Gerona...............Q400 vs B737-800

We will see. I know I would prefer the comfortable carrier, leather seats, no advertising in your face but will Flybe's route prove a success?

cornishsimon
19th Dec 2007, 17:02
(http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=185832) (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=185832)ADC2604 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=185832)
Just as Flybe announce expansion plans at NQY, Ryanair jump in.

Reus vs Gerona...............Q400 vs B737-800

We will see. I know I would prefer the comfortable carrier, leather seats, no advertising in your face but will Flybe's route prove
(http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=185832) (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=185832)
From what i understand the IOM-NQY-REU is more of a charter operation so i doubt that Ryanair's new Gerona service will have much of an impact on this service to be honest with you.

In my own personal opinion i feel that the London flights are all sustainable, and i suspect that there is room for further expansion to London, perhaps Luton again?

At the end of the day the various London routes seem to serve different customer bases in 2 different parts of London, the 2 Stansted Ryanair services will put 378 seats per direction, per day up for grabs, mainly to the tourist customer (not to say that its only tourist customers).

Air Southwest's 4 daily flights to Gatwick (200 seats each way) are mainly business orientated passengers along with customers transferring to other flights at LGW and BA's daily 737-400/500 operation is well a mix of everything, connecting passengers to other BA services, holiday customers etc etc etc (min 110 passengers each way depending on type of aircraft.

The summer 08 schedule announced so far is very good news for the airport considering the transition from Military to Civil control of the airfield and the associated costs to obtain a CAA licence. Basically every passenger will be paying the £5 airport development charge, so looking at the expected flights on the busy days when the Ryanair flights are operating a full schedule:

Ryanair - 2xStansted @ say 150 outbound passengers each flight, plus 100 each on Gerona & Alicante= 500 passengers
BA - 1xGatwick @ 70 passengers = 70 passengers
BMIBABY- 1xManchester @ 100 passengers= 100 passengers
Flybe- 1xBelfast,Birmingham,Edinburgh,Glasgow,Southampton @ 40passengers per flight= 200 passengers
Air Southwest - Various departures including Gatwick, Dublin, Cork, Bristol, Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow etc, say that they clear 500 passengers a day through NQY as a minimum on days when all services run= 500 passangers

just as a rough play around with minumum passenger numbers and not including some services gives you 1370 passengers @£5 per passenger gives you well over 6800 quid per day towards the expansion plans and getting the CAA licence,
From The newquay airport website:
The second stage of works are targeted to commence in early 2008, subject to planning approval, and will bring forward an extension to the terminal building catering for a relocated Arrivals Hall, enabling expansion of the departure lounge, creation of a business lounge, a new departure gate, new retail facilities, new roadside elevations and a comprehensive landscaping scheme.

Transition Project – What is it?
The primary purpose of the Transition Project is to secure a Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) Licence in order to keep the civilian airport open when the RAF cease military flying.
Anticipated there would be a minimum set of works required to secure the Licence on "Day One" Transition from a military to a civilian operated airport, with expected requirement for further works within a defined period afterwards to "Retain the Licence"
The main elements of the "Day One" Transition Works are:

Replacement of all Navigational Aids
New approach lighting
New runway lighting to reduce runway width
New Fire Appliances
New security fence around entire airfield
Taxiway widening and re-profiling (Alpha and Bravo)
Delethalisation and Removal of RHAGS (arrester gear for incoming military aircraft)
Site compound
Fire Training Rig
Temporary Accommodation for Fire Service
Air Traffic Control Tower
New water supply to north side of runway
Rendezvous point
Runway Resurfacing
Permanent Fire Station
Tree Management
In general i think that there are some very exciting times to come for Newquay airport and Cornwall in general. I also think that there are more new routes to be announced in the very near future

bravoromeosierra
21st Dec 2007, 19:21
How do you like your Christmas lunch? Perhaps against a backdrop of sparkling sea, bathed in warm, welcoming sunshine, while somebody else does the work? Add a delicious dessert in the form of a string of palm splayed dream islands, and you have a Christmas present to top them all.

Departing Newquay Cornwall Airport on 20 December 2007 the flight lands in Barbados where you will meet the cruise ship. The cruise last for 14 days visiting some of the most beautiful islands including, Tobago, Jamaica, Antigua, and St Lucia before returning to Barbados on 4 January 2008.

Seems an interesting concept, who/what operated this flight?

tangocharlie
22nd Dec 2007, 14:08
Monarch A330 did the Bridgetown flight for Fred Olsen cruises.

nonemmet
22nd Dec 2007, 14:59
Replacement of all Navigational Aids
New approach lighting
New runway lighting to reduce runway width
New Fire Appliances
New security fence around entire airfield
Taxiway widening and re-profiling (Alpha and Bravo)
Delethalisation and Removal of RHAGS (arrester gear for incoming military aircraft)
Site compound
Fire Training Rig
Temporary Accommodation for Fire Service
Air Traffic Control Tower
New water supply to north side of runway
Rendezvous point
Runway Resurfacing
Permanent Fire Station
Tree Management
I hope that "day two" incudes a dual carriageway road connection to the A30. Oh no, sorry, forgot. If we build a new road it will only fill up with all the traffic generated by additional aircraft movements.:ugh:

cornishsimon
23rd Dec 2007, 12:29
Seems an interesting concept, who/what operated this flight?
This is actually a semi-regular thing, sold by local travel agents like Newells travel, wickers world travel, and harveys.

i think in previous years that the flight started elsewhere and NQY was a pickup point (much like the WOW Gatwick-Newquay-Plymouth) before heading off to Barbados, dont know if it was the same this year.

we had a leaflet through our doorbox advertising more of these for winter 08 and into 09 but seem to of chucked the leaflet out!

Rubber Duck
23rd Dec 2007, 14:47
The origin was MAN this year!

tangocharlie
25th Dec 2007, 10:23
The next departure is March on Monarch B767. MAN/NQY/SDQ/ACA (Santa Domingo/Accapulco). Again for Fred Olsen.

cornishsimon
19th Jan 2008, 21:04
From BBC news website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7197797.stm

Airport expansion given go-ahead

Expansion plans for Cornwall's Newquay Airport have been approved.
The changes include a larger arrivals hall and departure lounge with an extra gate, a new retail outlet, business lounge and more seating.

Car parking spaces will also increase and a covered walkway will be built to link arrivals and departures halls. An airport spokesman said the improvements were needed to cope with expected growth in passenger numbers and 13 new destinations being served. Chris Cain, project director, said: "We have been gearing up to start work as soon as planning permission was received so this week's decision was great news, allowing us to make an early start."

Good news!!:ok:

kala87
20th Jan 2008, 18:21
Can someone tell me how many a/c parking stands now exist on the main apron close to the terminal? How many will there be for summer 2008? I haven't got an up to date AIP or Jepp. plate here to look the information up, and I'm out of touch with recent construction work.

Just wondering where all these flights are going to park if several are on the ground at once, which seems likely in summer 2008. I remember back in 2005 when I met an incoming pax off the morning Ryanair, that the aircraft had to park on the military side of the field as the 2 stands next to the terminal were both occupied. The pax were bussed across the airport in an old London bus after a long delay. Not very good for the image of Cornwall's international airport although some pax thought it was very Cornish!

cornishsimon
20th Jan 2008, 18:33
no what you mean!
looking at the flymaybe timetable looks like between 12:00 and 13:00 on Tuesdays especially will be a very busy time!

looks like the following will be in:
BE454 Birmingham
BE674 Edinburgh
BE712 Glasgow
BE1782 Southampton

also think that there will be a couple of WOW flights in.

cant remember exactly how many stands there are now but 3 gates and certainly the main stands and then some more off to the sea end of the terminal

Raven30
20th Jan 2008, 20:57
Kala,

The reason for parking on the military side was due to the aircraft needing a refuel and at that time there were no fuel interceptors on the Newquay stands that were capable of taking a 737. They bussed the pax over to save time.

cornishsimon
28th Jan 2008, 00:41
just booked some BA flights out of NQY for the coming summer 08 season

looks like the rumours of some lgw rotations switching to A319's are correct as this is what is down to operate LGW-NQY-LGW

might be wrong but this would be the first regular Airbus operations into NQY as all the current operators using this size aircraft are using B737

nivsy
29th Jan 2008, 18:17
I am still hearing rumours that the new "owners" of the airfield will not be quite ready to take over when expected and negotiations continue with the MoD. Cant offer anything else though - so maybe just a nothing rumour.

Nivsy

Chough
29th Jan 2008, 18:20
Another rumour !

Heard a suggestion the RAF will be asked to remain operating the airfield until the autumn 08 rather than hand over to the Council in August.

Given the rate Cornwall County Council usually operate at, will it be ready to take on then ?

nivsy
29th Jan 2008, 18:32
Chough - think we are talkng about same rumour.

Raven30
29th Jan 2008, 21:33
Chough

Not really a case of the Council not being ready to take over, my guess is they already are or near as dammit - its more that the airfield needs so much work before CAA certification is granted and I doubt there's a Council in the land could wave that particular magic wand. As the MOD will be owners of the land until at least August, any alterations have to be carried out around military flying and current civil schedules.

LGWAlan
30th Jan 2008, 14:50
Current showing on Amadeus is Tue,Thur and Fri to be ops by 319.

Who knows if this might change though

footster
12th Feb 2008, 19:14
Just found this on the Military Aircrew forum

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=313130

cornishsimon
12th Feb 2008, 23:08
iv not heard anything locally about this!

Raven30
13th Feb 2008, 15:00
iv not heard anything locally about this!Which bit have you not heard about?

And why would you expect to??

cornishsimon
13th Feb 2008, 18:24
Which bit have you not heard about?

And why would you expect to??

well generally speaking you tend to hear locally whats going on from one source or another, iv heard about the tower etc, just not heard anything about the runway being shortened.

how much shorter ? how much narrower ?

what size a/c would the new size runway be able to handle ?

Raven30
13th Feb 2008, 20:03
Bearing in mind the current runway dimensions(google is your friend), lopping about 300m off the length and shaving the edges will not compromise operations. Compare the size of the runway to Bristol Lulsgate and that will give you some idea of what types it will be able to accommodate.

It doesn't make economic sense to maintain a large runway when you don't need it.

cornishsimon
4th Mar 2008, 13:23
hi all

i was just curious if anyone knew what ticket sales were looking like on the new summer 08 routes from NQY?

Ryanair:
extra stansted
Girona and Alicante

Flybe:
Southampton, Glasgow, Birmingham

Air Southwest:
Newcastle and Glasgow

hopefully sales are going well and the new routes will be maintained and perhaps expanded. any news or gossip about any more new routes ?

Chough
10th Mar 2008, 20:08
The RAF will continue to run airfield operations at St. Mawgan until December 1st.2008, rather than August 1st as previously agreed to enable completion of works to convert the airfield from military to civil operation and to secure a Civil Operating Licence.

Information publicised today by Cornwall County Council.

SID East
17th Mar 2008, 22:55
CCC has agreed to fund the ongoing costs of maintaining airfield operations under military control in order to provide continuity of services for commercial airlines and passengers. CCC website

Good to see that the MOD will bail the airport out once again. I wonder what the going rate is for an RAF operated airfield?

SID

Rubber Duck
18th Mar 2008, 08:37
On what basis are they 'bailing' the Airport out?

SID East
18th Mar 2008, 10:19
Firstly this extension really was the only option for Newquay Airport and I think it is very good news for them that the MOD are helping them out.

From August 2008 the MOD has no military requirement to run an airfield at St Mawgan. Ergo the only reason that the airfield remains open as a “military airfield” after August is for the benefit of the airport. I would call that a bail out.

Whilst I’m sure the relevant financial costs have been met let’s face it supporting a regional airport is not the MODs main business. There are increasing demands for military resources (especially personnel) on operational detachments. The “St Mawgan Dividend” will not be realised now until 2009 which will have a knock on effect across the wider RAF.

Rubber Duck
18th Mar 2008, 11:05
Agreed. I think the RAF are being very helpful in the Transition Programme. Hats off to them

cornishsimon
26th Mar 2008, 00:58
think it was mentioned on the flybe thread but they have also added a once weekly saturday rotation NQY-JER from 24/05/08 until 27/09/08

seems to be showing up in the flybe booking engine as being operated by a Q400.

every little helps for NQY!

Rubber Duck
26th Mar 2008, 08:01
The Monarch 767 is operating this evening on the second of the winter cruise flights... 160 joining at NQY!!!

bravoromeosierra
27th Mar 2008, 11:52
Where do they park these aircraft? Would it have to be on the wedgey side of the airfield, not sure they'd fit on the terminal side?

emb-145
27th Mar 2008, 14:03
Looks like BE have started scrapping the E145 service between SOU & NQY before it even gets off the ground.

There were some mutterings about arrestor cables in the runway and lack of E145 certification. Has someone in Exeter not done their homework again?

:ugh:

cornishsimon
27th Mar 2008, 20:00
so which of the E145 services are being scrapped ?

Raven30
28th Mar 2008, 00:22
Would it have to be on the wedgey side of the airfieldNot heard of that dispersal before ;)

All flights now handled at Nqy Terminal.

Rubber Duck
28th Mar 2008, 09:09
They are building a new B737 stand after the Summer rush

CabinCrewe
28th Mar 2008, 16:36
They are building a new B737 stand after the Summer rush
Surely it would have been sensible to do it BEFORE the summer rush...? It surely doesnt take that long.

bravoromeosierra
28th Mar 2008, 20:05
I asked if the terminal side could handle a 767 parking wise, and whether it'd have to go on the RAF side?

cornishsimon
28th Mar 2008, 22:39
from what i understand the terminal side shouldnt have any problems parking a 767. its not common but a 767 is a regular visitor for these sort of cruise charters.

tangocharlie
29th Mar 2008, 09:28
NQY is ok handling the B767/A330 now Terminal side. A taxi-way may be closed due to wingtip overhang though.

bravoromeosierra
14th Apr 2008, 16:22
Passed through again at the weekend and noticed all the Dean Dyball construction walls, what is the current building work going to consist of when completed?

Rubber Duck
14th Apr 2008, 16:59
It is a new arrivals buildings and covered walkway linking arrivals to the West Car Park and check-in area.

The existing Arrivals Hall will become airside departures.

Outoftheblue22
14th Apr 2008, 21:10
Why are BE dropping the SOU/NQY before it even starts? Comments above seem to suggest something to do with ERJ145 performance, but isn't NQY one of the longest runways in the UK??? Understand BE also delayed launch of GLA/NQY and told pax it was due to runway problems at NQY? All a bit odd if you ask me. Can anyone throw any light??

Rubber Duck
15th Apr 2008, 07:46
It was nothing to do with the runway or performance of the aircraft it was purely a commercial decision by FlyBe unfortunately.

Rubber Duck
23rd May 2008, 09:30
The New Arrivals Hall was opened this morning for operational use. The new facility can now cater for both domestic and international flights simultaneously unlike the old arrivals hall.

Another step forward in the development of the Airport:D

andy_smith89uk
1st Jun 2008, 22:29
Slightly 'random' question, but do any of you local guys know if Ryanair boarding cards ex-NQY have the passenger's name printed on the smaller portion of the card, as opposed to handwritten by check-in staff (as was the case on a recent FR flight from BRS).

I have to submit "proof of travel" after taking a forthcoming FR flight from NQY, a 'proper' printed boarding card for which is considered acceptable, but the handwritten version is not (Yeh, I know!)

Thanks in advance.....

L G Double-Yew
4th Jun 2008, 20:08
Looks like Flybe have dropped their Newquay-Glasgow service in addition to dropping the Newquay-Southampton. Probably doesn't justify a 70-seater. ASW seem to be hanging on in there with a daily service to GLA, but it probably makes more sense as it is shared with Plymouth.

cornishsimon
4th Jun 2008, 20:13
seems there are some pretty extensive route cuts going on over the flybe network at the moment.
have a look at the flybe forum here

Dash-7 lover
5th Jun 2008, 17:16
In my opinion I think GLA almost worth going double daily as the loads seem above expectations...

cornishsimon
5th Jun 2008, 18:40
Dash-7 lover

Air Southwest GLA and NCL

In my opinion I think GLA almost worth going double daily as the loads seem above expectations...

im guessing that you mean Air Southwest making GLA double daily and not flymaybe doing that ?

what are the loads like ?

dont think WOW could go GLA x2 daily or any other increases in capacity until they get more aircraft

Dash-7 lover
5th Jun 2008, 20:05
cornishsimon

Flybe have dumped their SOU and GLA sectors plus a few others from what I hear.

cornishsimon
5th Jun 2008, 21:55
yes you are correct.
SOU never got off the ground in the first place.

rumour has it that IOM, JER and GLA are all being dropped by flybe

i was referring to your comments about GLA going x2 daily. dont think that the current WOW fleet could manage to pick that up, not sure that there is the slack in the current available fleet for it

Rubber Duck
6th Jun 2008, 07:43
IOM is staying. JER to be discontinued after tomorrow's rotation.

shame... load factors on GLA for ASW are very very good!

GROUNDHOG
6th Jun 2008, 17:25
shame someone didn't remind the marketing dept to cancel the radio adverts on Pirate FM for Jersey today then!:ok:

cornishsimon
6th Jun 2008, 22:56
muppets!!!

JobsaGoodun
7th Jun 2008, 08:38
Groundhog/cornishsimon - can you point me to the confirmation that both routes are cancelled? Until then who knows what is happening. I'll post the same response here as I made on another thread....

Has everyone missed the fact that oil is now at $140 a barrell?
That BA have advised that they will struggle to make a profit next year and that FR, one of the worlds most protfitable carriers has advised that it will only break even if oil remains at $130 a barrell.

C'mon guys, if you're not gonna get the passengers on the seats then running an airline makes for a very expensive hobby! Flybe cancelling some of their flights is not the end of the world, it seems to be some midweek flights and makes for entirely sound business sense. We are talking about an airline that operates nearly 500 flights a day.....its not like half their schedule is gone!

ATNotts
7th Jun 2008, 10:39
JobsaGoodun,

Well said - reading these comments you could believe that some posters just don't understand the realities of business!! I'm not in aviation myself but it doesn't take a genius to understand that marginal routes (in terms of yield not load factor) will have to go, if airlines are going to survive.

I've given up using the car for frivalous trips down the road to the shops - to cust my costs. Airlines will do the same with their aircraft.

GROUNDHOG
7th Jun 2008, 22:38
JobsaGoodun - at what point did I say anything about Flybe cancelling flights, my comment was in reaction to Rubber Duck and a rheotorical question...

AtNotts - If your comment re some posters refers to me you are right I have no business economics knowledge.After all over the last fourty years I only created one multi million pound business, around 500 jobs and was managing director of one airline and commercial director of two others i I bow to your better judgement.

That said the POINT you make is quite correct and when I was running the airline boy did I get p+ssed off about the stupid remarks SOME people make on these forums. They really can be very damaging.

cornishsimon
8th Jun 2008, 00:34
Jobsagoodun

my comment about muppets referrs to advertising, which is something i know a lot about from a previous job, details of which are not important!

if a route is no longer running, why advertise it ? IF.............

JER is still in the booking engine but no flights are bookable after today's flight
GLA is still in the booking engine but most dates are showing no flights, remember it wasnt daily anyway, but only 1-2 flights per week if that now bookable
IOM is still bookable, one flight per week as per original schedule.

its not only advertising on local radio for the JER route which hasnt been cancelled, its also local press advertising, which still ran for 2 weeks after the SOU route vanished from the booking engine.

in no way was i knocking airlines or anyone else pulling routes/products that arent breaking even/making money. even given the current economic climate i would like to see expansion at NQY, but that im guessing is just because i live here.

Dash-7 lover
8th Jun 2008, 07:03
cornishsimon - yeah there's enough slack - with the current schedules we have 4 flying daily -all day and one spare/on check. The 5th does the extra LGW service on MON and FRI.

Ok it's not a big deal to most that Flybe's schedules have been 'reduced'. It'll free up some ramp space!

To those that bang on about stupid comments - thought that's what pprune was all about!! lol

JobsaGoodun
8th Jun 2008, 09:30
Cornishsimon - surely given your previous experience you'll be aware that it is not so easy to just cancel an advertisment. Contract have been signed and the radio station/newspaper will need ot find something to replace the add with which may not be so easy at short notice.

The fact remains that Flybe is still operating out of NQY on all but the SOU routes when the add was made. That may change going forward, and frequencies may alter but the advertising stands correct.

ATNotts
8th Jun 2008, 10:13
Groundhog,

No, my remarks were not aimed at anyone in particular - I agree wholeheartedly with your point.

The point I was making was the general one to which you agreed in your last paragraph. Read any topin within the Airlines, Airports and Routes section and you will read the same sorts of stuff.

It's funny how airlines, in common with football clubs seem to attract the same sort of, often, totally ill-informed comment.

cornishsimon
8th Jun 2008, 11:39
Dash-7 lover
cornishsimon - yeah there's enough slack - with the current schedules we have 4 flying daily -all day and one spare/on check. The 5th does the extra LGW service on MON and FRI.

Ok it's not a big deal to most that Flybe's schedules have been 'reduced'. It'll free up some ramp space!

To those that bang on about stupid comments - thought that's what pprune was all about!! lol

as iv said repeatedly, everything from me is my opinion!
advertising however is able to be pulled at very short notice, a little more notice is required for press advertising in weeklies as these tend to be partly printed further in advance, however i would say that these adverts would of been booked by an advertising agency, and the more people in the loop the more chances of a break down in communications.

If WOW really do have slack in the current schedule without increasing the fleet size i would love to see them further expand. Is it just the GLA daily which is taking good loads or are other WOW services doing well ?

cornishsimon
14th Jun 2008, 01:25
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7453928.stm

Flybe drop NQY-GLA from the start of Aug08
reason for this being high fuel costs

BAladdy
14th Jun 2008, 12:28
Flybe giving up NQY. Could this also have something to do with competition from Air Southwest

Rubber Duck
14th Jun 2008, 13:30
ASW should go double daily... there loads have been good:ok:

Jamesair
14th Jun 2008, 16:58
Pax figures for the first full month (May) on the NCL -NQY - Plymouth route were Newquay 1071 and Plymouth 1976 pretty good for so early in the season

L G Double-Yew
14th Jun 2008, 21:02
Going back to the comments about Flybe dropping their NQY-GLA, whilst ASW are sticking with it.

Makes sense really. Flybe were trying to fill a 78-seat plane on this pretty thin route. On the other hand, ASW only have 50 seats to fill, and share the route between Plymouth and Newquay so in effect only have 25 seats to fill ex-Newquay. Presumably that means ASW can make this route work on a year-round daily basis where a bigger plane just doesn't make sense.

I can't help thinking that there are a lot of domestic routes where 78-seat, or 130+ seat aircraft don't work any more when the fuel price is where it is.

I wonder if Ryanair's NQY-STN route is one which is up for the chop? And how the heck to BA justify flying a big jet down to little old Newquay??

Rubber Duck
14th Jun 2008, 21:24
The morning rotation will be reduced during the winter one would suspect, in its entirity not a chance, their load factors are fantastic

BAladdy
15th Jun 2008, 14:35
Nqy has always been and will always be a slot holder.

bravoromeosierra
21st Jun 2008, 08:36
Looks like the DUS flights are up-and-running as they're now appearing on all the so-called 'Live Flight Information' on the NQY website. :}

Welcome Lufthansa and all you bring to Cornwall. :)

flightlevel26
21st Jun 2008, 21:04
BALaddy, let me tell you that you're talking rubbish!

Everyone on here thinks that when a large carrier operates a marginal route it's a "slot holder". LGW slots are not that hard to come by when compared to the likes of LCY or LHR so they wouldn't operate this route for the sake of it.

BA seem to be doing very well, I was on it the other week and there was about 90-100 on board.

Skipness One Echo
2nd Jul 2008, 23:32
Well there were 30 POB on a B737-500 yesterday so that's about 25 passengers....Having said that I flew down on a Ryanair at about 35% full and back on one about 75%+ full so someone's doing OK. Now can someone tell me why all the men in Newquay are pretty blondes that surf please? lol

Raven30
3rd Jul 2008, 19:47
Now can someone tell me why all the men in Newquay are pretty blondes that surf please? lol 'Cos you've been drinking in the wrong pubs!! :)

cornishsimon
13th Jul 2008, 12:39
BBC NEWS | England | Cornwall | Airport expansion grants scrapped (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7503349.stm)

Airports in the South West will no longer get grants to expand from the South West Regional Development Agency.
Instead the organisation wants to encourage airports to become "greener" and lessen their environmental impact.
Campaigners who have been fighting to stop expansion at Newquay airport welcomed the news.
The RDA said it would invest in greener planes and better public transport access to airports. It said funding already allocated would still be given.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gifhttp://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/start_quote_rb.gif We will be investing our money in greening airport operations http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/end_quote_rb.gif

Dan Oakey, SWRDA

Dan Oakey from the South West Regional Development Agency said: "We won't be investing in further airport expansion across the region. We will be investing our money in greening airport operations."
He also said that airports are very important to the South West, contributing £420m to the economy and over 8,600 jobs.
Andrew Mitchell from Cornwall County Council, which owns Newquay Airport, said the policy change would "absolutely not" affect plans to expand the airport in order to double the number of passengers it serves and make it profitable.
Airports 'needed'
The council hopes to buy land left vacant when neighbouring RAF St Mawgan closes in October.
"The £8m (already promised by the SWRDA) is still in place. They are fully behind the county council, knowing to have a strong economy in the region we need the airport," he said.
Oliver Baines from Stop Newquay Airport Expansion said: "We have always been told that the economic benefits of airport expansion outweigh the considerable environmental impacts of noise, traffic and climate changing emissions ... this (news) makes it clear that not even the local development agency now believes this." Other airports in the South West which may be affected by the SWRDA decision are Plymouth, Exeter, Bristol and Bournemouth.

Rubber Duck
13th Jul 2008, 19:09
You'd think they get the closure date correct... RAF St. Mawgan interest in the aerodrome concludes at midnight on 30/11/08-01/12/08!

GROUNDHOG
14th Jul 2008, 10:14
Perhaps some of the money might be better directed to Treliske so that the cancer unit there will not be closed down as is planned and Cornish sufferers will not have to travel to Derriford in Plymouth, Devon for treatment.

If the county council got its act together and utilised the facility at Newquay to its full potential by encouraging other activity there SWRDA money would not even be needed.

Rubber Duck
14th Jul 2008, 11:10
Without the funding from SWRDA the Transition wouldn't take place and the Airport would close... once full aerodrome is available to develop ancillary services to the main passenger traffic it will be.

Agreed on the need for investment in to Hospitals.

cornishsimon
14th Jul 2008, 11:22
Just for the record Cancel services at RCHT are not being closed down.

Some specialised upper GI CA treatments are being transferred to Derriford hospital in Plymouth, which my personal opinion is will be a complete and utter strain on the patient and the facilities at Plymouth.

However, i would guess that this is a fairly small amount of patients that were talking about here, lots of other services have either not been introduced or moved to Plymouth via the backdoor without the press's knowledge over the years!

investment is what RCHT needs, however it is from different pots as to NQY's funding!

GROUNDHOG
15th Jul 2008, 10:46
It is incorrect to say the airport would have shut down without SWRDA funding, at least one offer and probably more were made for the entire site from well funded consortiums but of course the council decided to stay at the helm.

An airport is a commercial business and a facility normally best run by businessmen and not kwangos.

My point about Treliske illustrates what a great shame it is such a variety of grants are available in our area that cannot be directed to where they are actually needed. Vast sums are available which have no homes through one funding source whilst other areas struggle??

Immediate funding is available for example to start a new business at Newquay that wouldn't be for the airport per say. The 'owners' as opposed to the 'operators' of the airport need to improve its fanancial position by encouraging new companies to move there that are aviation related but not necessarily offering new air services.. Many airports in this country have no services at all but are still profitable by virtue of what happens on site.

Maintenance, parting out and refurbishment, storage, ancilliary manufacture etc etc all would qualify for employment creation grant funding from the EC.

The suggestion was made for a hub and spoke freight set up but I do not think that would work, what about encouraging transatlatic bizjets to use Newquay as a transit point by using part of the old RAF station as a jet centre?

What is needed now is to evaluate these ideas in detail and develop the airport in context and not to build its long term future on the vaguries of a handful of flights which may or may not operate from there into the future!

Rubber Duck
15th Jul 2008, 14:04
afraid you wrong GH