PDA

View Full Version : The Smell Of Kerosene In The Cabin?

Easy226
29th Aug 2003, 23:47
Hi everyone, I've just come back from my hols. to Majorca on a 757-204 (BY 530A/B). On both ways I sat right on row 41 which is right at the back and I noticed that when the engines were being started, there was a very strong smell of kerosene in the cabin. The smell quickly diminsihed once the startup was complete and I was wondering what causes this smell with the doors closed.

I was wondering if anyone could also tell me weather airband receivers are allowed to be used on flights?

Many Thanks
Dan

BAe 146-100
29th Aug 2003, 23:51
Hi,

Easy226, its got something to do with fuel from outside the aircraft and the air conditioning.

mondriver
30th Aug 2003, 00:38
Could be a number of possibilities....

a) Some fumes from one of the engines (after start) were "inhaled" by the air conditioning system

b) The APU when shut down sometimes leaves a slight smell as you described, into the air con system

or
c) you could have been right behind another aircraft with its engines running and it's fumes were "inhaled" by your aircraft's air cion system.

All perfectly normal, and quite a regular occurrence.

Nothing to be worried about !

BAe 146-100
30th Aug 2003, 01:28
Hi,

All perfectly normal, and quite a regular occurrence.

On almost every flight I have been on there has been smell of kerosene in the cabin after engine start.

BAe 146-100 :)

Jetdriver
30th Aug 2003, 08:04
No you can't use airband receivers !

The airconditioning system after engine start uses compressed "bleed"air from each engine. This is clean air drawn into the engine but inevitably during start there is often a smell of kerosene in the vicinity of the aircraft which is often drawn into the aircraft for a short spell. It can also occur when taxing behind or holding behind another aircraft.

ZK-NSJ
1st Sep 2003, 18:13
i remember going on a twin otter in nepal, one of the passengers had a kerosene pressure lantern sitting on his lap for the flight(wasnt turned on ofcourse) but it did leak.

newswatcher
1st Sep 2003, 18:54
I love the smell of napalm in the morning Oh sorry, wrong thread! :p :p

gas path
1st Sep 2003, 20:55
Of course being an RB211 it just could be cracked/broken bleed struts at the back of the HPC.:ooh: :E ;).

Kakpipe Cosmonaut
1st Sep 2003, 23:29
It is a common phenomenon on newer RB211 535E4 engines. I think it is to do with phase 2 combustion chambers in the engine that do not allow any unburnt fuel to drain away, but collect in a tank. How this now causes a smell in the cabin after start I don't know.
Ask on the Tech Log site, there is bound to be a clever clogs there.

PENKO
3rd Sep 2003, 18:11
Was it kerosine that you smelled, or the delicate fragrance of burnt jet fuel. BIG DIFFERENCE! :D