PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Airlines, Airports & Routes (https://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes-85/)
-   -   Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel (https://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/629647-coronavirus-impact-air-travel.html)

ATNotts 13th Jul 2020 16:54


Originally Posted by Mr Mac (Post 10836155)
LTNman
Video says it all really doesn't it. I bet they would like to lock out a certain sections of the UK permanently, regardless of the drop in bar sales. I would not mind, but I have witnessed similar, though not as loud, and no car surfing, by a UK trade delegation in China some years ago after England won some football match, so it is not just teenagers who are that stupid !
Cheers
Mr Mac

Mr Mac,

I was reading a piece on tagesschau.de this morning in which they singled out the British and Germans for seemingly running amok and ignoring the rules laid down by the Catalan and Balearic governments. I suppose it's perhaps as well that Sweden is largely "country non grata" as their reputation for misbehaving on the booze is probably worse that than of the British, and apparently the Germans!

I have just returned from a weeks break in The Netherlands and Germany, felt totally safe, no rif-raf in the places we eat, drank and slept at, but then again we don't frequent inner city bars and "Kneipen" - too old for that now!

Mr Mac 13th Jul 2020 19:36

ATN
Yes they have been roundly condemned here in Germany,and I read the same article though from video by the Telegraph it looked a little more boisterous than the ones I have seen here. As for going to the pub you can forget it in the UK though we have had a number of Thursday nights out in the Munich sunshine in the old town (Altstadt) which handily is where my apartment is. We go for early doors drinks, and I tend to leave my younger colleagues to carry on though we never seem to have any Friday hangovers or issues. The only time I tend to stay in or even make sure I am out of the city is during the Oktoberfest.
Prost
Mr Mac

LTNman 13th Jul 2020 19:45

Well I said here last week that Brits abroad will forget all about social distancing but even I was shocked by this video.

Barling Magna 14th Jul 2020 12:24

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ck-to-mallorcaIt's depressing to see that the British and Germans can maintain their reputations as the hooligans of Europe.....

From another site:

“We are back,” chanted the German tourists who gathered at the Ballermann party strip, known as the ‘Partymeile’, on Mallorca’s Playa de Palma at the weekend. “We want to celebrate!” shouted others as they carelessly danced the night away for hours – hand in hand and close to each other – between the tables of the bar terraces and in the streets. “Almost nobody wore a mask, drinks were handed around and often shared”, reported the island’s German-language newspaper Mallorca Magazin, adding that social-distancing was not being respected either. The pictures of the exuberant partying, where all hygiene rules were ignored, caused indignation not only on Mallorca. “As if there were no Corona”, wrote the Mallorca Zeitung in horror, noting that “it seemed as if nobody here had ever heard of the pandemic.”

“We did not endure the shutdown here for weeks in order to recklessly jeopardise what we had achieved,” the newspaper noted bitterly.

The few visitors who wore masks at the party were laughed at by the masses.


helipixman 14th Jul 2020 14:18


Originally Posted by Barling Magna (Post 10836896)
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ck-to-mallorcaIt's depressing to see that the British and Germans can maintain their reputations as the hooligans of Europe.....

From another site:

“We are back,” chanted the German tourists who gathered at the Ballermann party strip, known as the ‘Partymeile’, on Mallorca’s Playa de Palma at the weekend. “We want to celebrate!” shouted others as they carelessly danced the night away for hours – hand in hand and close to each other – between the tables of the bar terraces and in the streets. “Almost nobody wore a mask, drinks were handed around and often shared”, reported the island’s German-language newspaper Mallorca Magazin, adding that social-distancing was not being respected either. The pictures of the exuberant partying, where all hygiene rules were ignored, caused indignation not only on Mallorca. “As if there were no Corona”, wrote the Mallorca Zeitung in horror, noting that “it seemed as if nobody here had ever heard of the pandemic.”

“We did not endure the shutdown here for weeks in order to recklessly jeopardise what we had achieved,” the newspaper noted bitterly.

The few visitors who wore masks at the party were laughed at by the masses.

We are going to have to endure restrictions for many years to come ! Reason, all the morons on this planet who only think about themselves and cannot see the bigger picture.

ATNotts 14th Jul 2020 16:27

Barling Magna:

As I wrote above, the Swedes knock the Brits and Germans into a cocked hat. Booze is so expensive there they go bonkers when they rock up in Spain for their two weeks in the sun!

helipixman

I think you're right, unless we decide that the premature deaths of elderly people are a small price to pay for the young enjoying themselves and going on the pi$$ with no regards for the health and safety of others. This group in the population, whether they be British, German, Swedish, Korean, Australian or whatever else simply don't care.

SWBKCB 14th Jul 2020 16:56


Originally Posted by ATNotts (Post 10837091)

I think you're right, unless we decide that the premature deaths of elderly people are a small price to pay for the young enjoying themselves and going on the pi$$ with no regards for the health and safety of others. This group in the population, whether they be British, German, Swedish, Korean, Australian or whatever else simply don't care.

Nothing like a sweeping generalisation...

Faux outrage from the Spanish - what did they expect? Have they never seen foreign tourists before? They've looked at the risk v reward calculation and gone for it.

johnnychips 14th Jul 2020 19:02

Apart from the obnoxious behaviour, which is hardly novel or unexpected, this will be sure to spread and cause a spike in CV.

Oh sorry, I wasn’t talking about The Balearic Islands but the Easter, Mayday, May Bank Holidays, Black Lives, Hottest Day events.

Still waiting for the spikes to happen.

inOban 14th Jul 2020 19:32

Rather than spikes, we have infection rate failing to fall as steadily as it has in better managed countries. Perhaps without the events you mention England would have a rate as low as Scotland...

SWBKCB 14th Jul 2020 20:01

...or if Englands population density wasn't more than 5 times Scotlands.

Hial Flyer 14th Jul 2020 20:03


Originally Posted by inOban (Post 10837254)
Rather than spikes, we have infection rate failing to fall as steadily as it has in better managed countries. Perhaps without the events you mention England would have a rate as low as Scotland...

Scotlands rate of testing is way lower than England so they dont really know how many people in Scotland have it.

inOban 14th Jul 2020 20:41

There is no evidence that the data for Scotland are inaccurate. People get tested either if they have symptoms or proactively in care homes etc. There are parts of England which arere rural but still have quite a high rate.

valefan16 14th Jul 2020 21:39


Originally Posted by inOban (Post 10837285)
There is no evidence that the data for Scotland are inaccurate. People get tested either if they have symptoms or proactively in care homes etc. There are parts of England which arere rural but still have quite a high rate.

Scotland have done a decent job but have had a far easier task being so much more sparsely populated with many remote areas. England for example can look to the sparsely South West which has our lower rates of infection as a rule and England has the problem that it’s even more densely populated than the countrywide figure suggests as most of the major cities are located in an area from Bristol to London at its southern point and Hull to Liverpool at its Northern, that 200 x 200 mile square is full of major conurbations close together.

That said for all our testing to now be getting 500 or so in 50 odd million isn’t too bad and seem to be now in line with the levels that most of Europe’s bigger nations have been recording since squashing their levels, just a few weeks behind.

The task now is to manage it as best as we can in England and Europe and ensure we nip outbreaks in the bud quickly... after the mess they made of Leicester which has been harshly treated when most of its outbreaks are in certain areas rather than the city as a whole because the data took so long to get sorted let’s hope lessons are learnt.

As for the Germans, (and dare say we will see Brits doing the same in coming weeks) it’s stupidity and risks everyone else getting the chance to get away if spikes occur in resorts. Whilst in the main it probably won’t see it the chance isn’t worth taking. Lockdown fatigue and the desire to be “free again” I imagine is not likely to help, let’s be honest most of us just want the freedom we had just a few months ago and it’s been for me at least a real eye opener into what we took for granted before but we need to keep the virus at bay to avoid losing the gains in freedom we have over what we had in April!

Dark times and I don’t know how or when it will end and life will be how it was. 2020 won’t be one for the fond memories that’s for sure but hopefully in terms of travel and air travel we can manage it enough to save as many jobs in the industry and get some life back into it with Jet2 and TUI kicking back in.

oldart 15th Jul 2020 08:32

The latest information is that they expect another spike in this covid 19 virus coming this winter. Where does that leave the people who like to go abroad for a break, maybe over the Festive period? I can see a few of these famous air bridges collapsing.

helipixman 15th Jul 2020 09:46


Originally Posted by oldart (Post 10837589)
The latest information is that they expect another spike in this covid 19 virus coming this winter. Where does that leave the people who like to go abroad for a break, maybe over the Festive period? I can see a few of these famous air bridges collapsing.

Yes someone has predicted 100,000 deaths from a second spike in winter, is that the same person who predicted 500,000 deaths in the UK from the first spike ! That did not happen

I think with the stupidity being shown by some people around the world there is really only one way out of this pandemic ! A vaccine. We keep hearing about a vaccine being imminent but then hear its possibly a year away. I am beginning to wonder if this virus will ever have a vaccine ?

I agree some air bridges may collapse along with some airlines, but again caused by stupidity of of some tourists. Lets hope we get a vaccine soon !

RedDragonFlyer 15th Jul 2020 12:46

The hope for a vaccine is because there is nothing else that will rid us of the virus with any certainty.

Some were very optimistic that a vaccine may be developed by the end of the year. However, there are many types of coronavirus and none of them, as yet, have a vaccine that can successfully prevent them. I'm sure many will remember SARS which was a different strain of coronavirus in 2003 - They are still trying to develop a vaccine against it.

Some good news has come out today though.
https://www.itv.com/news/2020-07-15/...-robert-peston
https://www.standard.co.uk/business/...-a4499111.html

LTNman 24th Jul 2020 03:43

Seems that French airlines now don’t accept fabric masks being worn as offering sufficient protection and that surgical masks now have to be worn. https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fren...h-tissue-masks

I was also reading that while the cabin air is protected by filters so offering a claimed safe environment for passengers this only happens when the engines are running. When the aircraft is on stand the air could be contaminated with virus.

SWBKCB 24th Jul 2020 05:25


I was also reading that while the cabin air is protected by filters so offering a claimed safe environment for passengers this only happens when the engines are running. When the aircraft is on stand the air could be contaminated with virus.
Presumably this will be mitigated by using the APU or ground powere to run the A/C. There does seem to be an assumption that all aircraft are equal and are fitted with HEPA filters. Anybody have any details?

Playamar2 24th Jul 2020 08:38

It seems to me that flying is not spreading the virus as much as we are led to believe. Most of the spikes have been down to meat processing factories and farms. The labourers on the farms tend to live in tightly packed dormitories probably with poor ventilation.
What people do when they get to their destination (holiday resort or home town) is outside the remit of the airports & airlines. You would think that a video showing boozed up Germans & Brits in Majorca only happens whilst on they are on holiday - it happens on a regular basis in may towns throughout the UK every weekend, although the media don't pick up on this.

Barling Magna 25th Jul 2020 17:11

Bad news........ITV News has just announced that the UK will re-introduce 14 day quarantine for all travellers from Spain from midnight tonight due to the increase in Covid-19 cases in Catalonia and elsewhere.


All times are GMT. The time now is 17:32.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.