Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Eastern Airways-3

Old 14th Apr 2024, 22:09
  #361 (permalink)  
pug
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: A post-punk postcard fair
Posts: 1,381
Received 135 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by N707ZS
Is it worth employing staff and opening a base for such a short contract?
Well I was insinuating that perhaps the contract will be curtailed. Bit extreme though, more likely that KLM just havenít updated their website.

pug is offline  
Old 21st Apr 2024, 08:32
  #362 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Location: NR31 9JG
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by helideck
The service they are currently providing for KLM is totally unacceptable.. they are on average 2 hours late for all their flights. Many people are missing connections and people are now looking elsewhere to fly from instead of Humberside as they are doing such a poor job. Admittedly it is not all their fault but I have flown many many times with KLM for many years out of Humberside and have never seen anything like this level of service before. I really hope KLM do something about it soon. Itís a real shame as I really wanted this to work well for Eastern.
Supposedly engineering and operations are really trying around the clock to make it work, I wonder if the issue is that the aircraft are operative 8-flight days when eastern usually have like 4-6 flight days max. I know they are due another E190 back from maintenance and they are supposed to order up to 2 more E-Jets this year suggesting that the contract is more long term?
jamesgold is offline  
Old 21st May 2024, 21:50
  #363 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 380
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long is the contract with KLM?

Itís pretty undeniable that reliability seems poor. Almost every day flights are 1 to 2 hours late and must be causing some issues for onward connecting pax.
JonnyH is offline  
Old 21st May 2024, 22:07
  #364 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: UK
Posts: 219
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyH
How long is the contract with KLM?

Itís pretty undeniable that reliability seems poor. Almost every day flights are 1 to 2 hours late and must be causing some issues for onward connecting pax.
Similar at SOU with CDG, always several hours delay and sometimes cancelled altogether
SouthernAlliance is online now  
Old 21st May 2024, 22:46
  #365 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Midlands
Posts: 492
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
I know they are due another E190 back from maintenance and they are supposed to order up to 2 more E-Jets this year suggesting that the contract is more long term?
Iíll repeat. Eastern leave a trail of destruction irrespective of which long-term commitment they sign up to. On face value, from an outsider this thread continues to highlight the Eastern inability to provide a failsafe operation with regard to any long-term contract they enter into.

Ď2 more E-Jets this yearí
Given the Eastern current reputation within the industry, how can they possibly consider acquiring additional a/c to add to their woes?

More importantly, and Iíve got to be careful how I say this, but what is it that is keeping Eastern afloat?
jethro15 is online now  
Old 21st May 2024, 23:14
  #366 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Southampton
Posts: 195
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
"But what is it that is keeping Eastern afloat?"

Well, it's definitely not ambition. It's obviously a management issue. The situation that Eastern consistently find themselves in can't go on forever. It's an absolutely ridiculous situation to be in for any company, let alone an airline. And an airline that has existed operationally for over thirty years.

So I, too, can ask the same question.

Sotonsean is offline  
Old 21st May 2024, 23:57
  #367 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: North Yorkshire
Age: 36
Posts: 366
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's said to be the owners baby and he just keeps funneling more money in each year. We've seen this before with Monarch and as soon as it stopped they were gone...
Cautious Optimist is offline  
Old 22nd May 2024, 01:23
  #368 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Southampton
Posts: 195
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Cautious Optimist
It's said to be the owners baby and he just keeps funneling more money in each year. We've seen this before with Monarch and as soon as it stopped they were gone...
I've read the same thing on pprune several times regarding it being the owners baby.

If the owner wants to funnel some of his money in my direction then I'll willingly be the baby and then the owner can concentrate on running an actual airline.

The changes in attitude by Sir Michael Bishop in his latter years was also partly to blame for the demise of the airline and the eventual foreign ownership of British Midland which didn't end well.

I wonder how much money Eastern Airways is actually worth as a going business concern.
Sotonsean is offline  
Old 22nd May 2024, 05:44
  #369 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Various at the moment
Posts: 1,180
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
How or why do the CAA allow an operation like this to continue ?
dc9-32 is offline  
Old 22nd May 2024, 10:10
  #370 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 636
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dc9-32
How or why do the CAA allow an operation like this to continue ?
On what basis would the CAA stop them?

Safety regulation? Have you any evidence that the operation is unsafe?

Financial fitness? They have a strong balance sheet and are in no danger of running out of money.
runway30 is offline  
Old 22nd May 2024, 10:28
  #371 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Location: Norwich
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by runway30
On what basis would the CAA stop them?

Safety regulation? Have you any evidence that the operation is unsafe?

Financial fitness? They have a strong balance sheet and are in no danger of running out of money.
Once the owners money stops, which it will as nothing lasts forever, they will be gone faster than a rat up a drainpipe
markhillmana320flyer is offline  
Old 22nd May 2024, 11:12
  #372 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 279
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by markhillmana320flyer
Once the owners money stops, which it will as nothing lasts forever, they will be gone faster than a rat up a drainpipe
Yep, this is absolutely on the money! RL has been keeping EA afloat for the majority of its existence. Iíve heard him personally say the same thing! Iím an ex-EA pilot so know exactly how the ship is run. There has been some very good times at Eastern, albeit many,many years ago. Itís just a basket case airline now which is a real shame. Iíve witnessed some truly horrendous operational decision making with some big contracts which we previously had, which the unsurprisingly then lost. The staff on the coalface were the glue that kept the show on the road, some of the best folk Iíve ever worked with. All gone now though.
Atlantic Explorer is online now  
Old 22nd May 2024, 15:18
  #373 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 636
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Atlantic Explorer
Yep, this is absolutely on the money! RL has been keeping EA afloat for the majority of its existence. Iíve heard him personally say the same thing! Iím an ex-EA pilot so know exactly how the ship is run. There has been some very good times at Eastern, albeit many,many years ago. Itís just a basket case airline now which is a real shame. Iíve witnessed some truly horrendous operational decision making with some big contracts which we previously had, which the unsurprisingly then lost. The staff on the coalface were the glue that kept the show on the road, some of the best folk Iíve ever worked with. All gone now though.
I now see the risk coming from the increase in the use of leased aircraft. If those aircraft are on the ground then the company would be at risk.
runway30 is offline  
Old 22nd May 2024, 15:34
  #374 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: San Cristůbal de La Laguna
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by runway30
I now see the risk coming from the increase in the use of leased aircraft. If those aircraft are on the ground then the company would be at risk.
Aren't the jets on "power by the hour" contracts or has this ceased to be the case?
amyisraelchai is offline  
Old 23rd May 2024, 06:02
  #375 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Various at the moment
Posts: 1,180
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by runway30
On what basis would the CAA stop them?

Safety regulation? Have you any evidence that the operation is unsafe?

Financial fitness? They have a strong balance sheet and are in no danger of running out of money.

Did I say the operation was unsafe ? No, but how many sharp pencils do crewing use to ensure all crews are within the FTL's caused by all the disruption.

Money or not, the company has not exactly been a good example of operational stability has it ?
dc9-32 is offline  
Old 23rd May 2024, 09:16
  #376 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 636
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by amyisraelchai
Aren't the jets on "power by the hour" contracts or has this ceased to be the case?
The figure Iím looking at under ĎThe total of minimum lease paymentsí due over the next 5 years has risen from £10,557,477 at 31st March 2022 to £17,323,200 at 31st March 2023.
runway30 is offline  
Old 23rd May 2024, 10:02
  #377 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 636
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dc9-32
Did I say the operation was unsafe ? No, but how many sharp pencils do crewing use to ensure all crews are within the FTL's caused by all the disruption.

Money or not, the company has not exactly been a good example of operational stability has it ?
All Iím asking you is what regulation would/should the CAA use to stop Eastern operations?
runway30 is offline  
Old 23rd May 2024, 12:06
  #378 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 1,508
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
This being the airline which has, according to the BBC, this morning flown the Prime Minister to Wales on a J41. He's clearly been taking the brave pills - both yesterday and today, but for different reasons.
Flightrider is offline  
Old 23rd May 2024, 12:33
  #379 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 1,270
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flightrider
This being the airline which has, according to the BBC, this morning flown the Prime Minister to Wales on a J41. He's clearly been taking the brave pills - both yesterday and today, but for different reasons.
Not sure about that, but some might say neither deliver on their promises.
DC3 Dave is online now  
Old 23rd May 2024, 13:59
  #380 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Up Narf
Posts: 449
Received 166 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Flightrider
This being the airline which has, according to the BBC, this morning flown the Prime Minister to Wales on a J41. He's clearly been taking the brave pills - both yesterday and today, but for different reasons.
Dicky is a number one tory supporter in air miles during an election. Did you not know that? Surprised it wasn't a 170. Was a SAAB 2K Boris bus last time.

Last edited by Diff Tail Shim; 23rd May 2024 at 14:15.
Diff Tail Shim is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.