Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Southend-3

Old 3rd Jan 2024, 11:38
  #1221 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK
Age: 75
Posts: 2,694
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidjohnson6
Aeroitalia at Heathrow did not go well. Are we sure it's going to work at Southend ?
Of course we aren't sure it will be a success and no doubt the usual posters will be fervently hoping it won't be.
Expressflight is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2024, 11:52
  #1222 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 5,675
Likes: 0
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Expressflight
Of course we aren't sure it will be a success and no doubt the usual posters will be fervently hoping it won't be.
Cutting multiple routes at LHR after less than a month is unusual at best. I've flown with Aeroitalia a few times last year - even on trunk routes like Rome-Milan, aircraft have been very empty. Aeroitalia last year had an extremely high churn rate of routes - made Ryanair look as patient as a saint. They outsource some flying to subsidiary Air Connect - an airline whose last minute flight cancellation rate was extraordinarily high last year, even when the weather was good.
I've used SEN many times, despite not living in Essex. I want SEN to remain a commercial airport not become office space. I wish Southend well. Really, I do. However, based on the past, there's reason to be sceptical on Aeroitalia at Southend.
davidjohnson6 is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2024, 11:55
  #1223 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,526
Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Markushillman
Advertisement will be key for this one, as most people will automatically go and book Ryanair from Stansted. Hopefully Aeroitalia at least give it time, although they have been a bit chop and change with routes since their launch and still seem a bit up in the air. Hopefully will be a success. Although like many, I'm skeptical how long this lasts.
They are hardly unique in chopping and changing routes. I would imagine they are significantly better known in Italy, and may well attract an inbound market.
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2024, 12:04
  #1224 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Norwich
Posts: 146
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
They are hardly unique in chopping and changing routes. I would imagine they are significantly better known in Italy, and may well attract an inbound market.
Indeed, although they will definitely need an outbound market too for this to be a success. Looks at the minute just the one route for Southend.
Markushillman is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2024, 12:07
  #1225 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Norwich
Posts: 146
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidjohnson6
Cutting multiple routes at LHR after less than a month is unusual at best. I've flown with Aeroitalia a few times last year - even on trunk routes like Rome-Milan, aircraft have been very empty. Aeroitalia last year had an extremely high churn rate of routes - made Ryanair look as patient as a saint. They outsource some flying to subsidiary Air Connect - an airline whose last minute flight cancellation rate was extraordinarily high last year, even when the weather was good.
I've used SEN many times, despite not living in Essex. I want SEN to remain a commercial airport not become office space. I wish Southend well. Really, I do. However, based on the past, there's reason to be sceptical on Aeroitalia at Southend.
Despite all this I saw that they managed to make a small profit
Markushillman is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2024, 12:09
  #1226 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: UK
Posts: 191
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems they operate the 738 and would imagine it will be rather dense for this route, could understand more if an E70/90

Last edited by SouthernAlliance; 3rd Jan 2024 at 12:19.
SouthernAlliance is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2024, 13:00
  #1227 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Outer London
Age: 43
Posts: 604
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, did not see this coming at all. Assume the other two routes would be Rome and Comiso given the former obviously is a solid city break destination and the latter lacks a London route since Ryanair stopped.

One thing in Bergamo’s favour is its proximity to Lakes Como and Garda which will be a selling point to Essex’s holidaymakers. A little sceptical of longevity however.
AirportPlanner1 is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2024, 13:22
  #1228 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK
Age: 75
Posts: 2,694
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Markushillman
Indeed, although they will definitely need an outbound market too for this to be a success. Looks at the minute just the one route for Southend.
Rome and Catania supposed to be imminent also.
Expressflight is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2024, 20:25
  #1229 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Not so many places currently
Age: 60
Posts: 3,789
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AirportPlanner1
Wow, did not see this coming at all. Assume the other two routes would be Rome and Comiso given the former obviously is a solid city break destination and the latter lacks a London route since Ryanair stopped.

One thing in Bergamo’s favour is its proximity to Lakes Como and Garda which will be a selling point to Essex’s holidaymakers. A little sceptical of longevity however.
Me too, have they got any local travel agents to promote this route from UK end. Can see RYR killing this quite quickly with silly prices from the x4 daily STN established route.
pabely is online now  
Old 4th Jan 2024, 01:28
  #1230 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 2,781
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great news for Southend. Bergamo as an example is a great city break destination. The airport is close to Bergamo, I was there this year and loved the place. Let's hope they have some good tactics to land their brand to the catchment that is around SEN and with some luck they'll attract some good London inbound business from Italy.

​​​​​​
EI-BUD is offline  
Old 4th Jan 2024, 07:25
  #1231 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: London
Posts: 419
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bergamo is also marketed as MILAN (Bergamo) as an entry point for Milan....especially by Ryanair. It should do well.
Jamesair1 is offline  
Old 4th Jan 2024, 07:30
  #1232 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,526
Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamesair1
Bergamo is also marketed as MILAN (Bergamo) as an entry point for Milan....especially by Ryanair. It should do well.

The airport markets itself as Milan Bergamo

https://www.milanbergamoairport.it/en/
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 5th Jan 2024, 19:23
  #1233 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK
Age: 75
Posts: 2,694
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Start up airline Ascend Airways, fronted by ex Titan Airways MD Alastair Willson son of Titan founder Gene Willson, will station aircraft at SEN as well as previously indicated at LGW. It's expected that initial crew training will also be carried out at SEN. Their first aircraft will be B738-82R-W G-HODL, ex LY-BUS.
Expressflight is offline  
Old 6th Jan 2024, 08:34
  #1234 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 1,228
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Expressflight
Start up airline Ascend Airways, fronted by ex Titan Airways MD Alastair Willson son of Titan founder Gene Willson, will station aircraft at SEN as well as previously indicated at LGW. It's expected that initial crew training will also be carried out at SEN. Their first aircraft will be B738-82R-W G-HODL, ex LY-BUS.
Certainly has been a lively start to the year for SEN. The Italian job and now another two aircraft to be based here.
DC3 Dave is offline  
Old 6th Jan 2024, 12:17
  #1235 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Not so many places currently
Age: 60
Posts: 3,789
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DC3 Dave
Certainly has been a lively start to the year for SEN. The Italian job and now another two aircraft to be based here.
All jobs on LinkedIn show LGW based. Is the SEN connection only cheap parking when waiting for next job? Obviously if they get some good contracts, will anything actually run through SEN?
pabely is online now  
Old 6th Jan 2024, 12:43
  #1236 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 1,228
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pabely
All jobs on LinkedIn show LGW based. Is the SEN connection only cheap parking when waiting for next job? Obviously if they get some good contracts, will anything actually run through SEN?
It has been clear for some time now. Esken - two Ascend. 🥴

On a slightly more serious note, On the Ascend website it makes a clear statement: Aircraft based at Gatwick and Southend. It does not state anything about cheap (slightly embarrassing) temporary parking at the latter.

DC3 Dave is offline  
Old 6th Jan 2024, 13:59
  #1237 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK
Age: 75
Posts: 2,694
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pabely
All jobs on LinkedIn show LGW based. Is the SEN connection only cheap parking when waiting for next job? Obviously if they get some good contracts, will anything actually run through SEN?
This is just a thought and I have no evidence to back it up but their website states that, perhaps as part their efforts to improve aviation's sustainability, they will suggest possible alternative departure points to clients to avoid unnecessary positioning. If they had operational bases at SEN and LGW that policy would be easier to apply for the LON market.

Ascend are also not just offering ACMI services but ad hoc charter capacity as well where this aspect may come more into play.

Last edited by Expressflight; 6th Jan 2024 at 15:53. Reason: rephrasing of sustainability reference.
Expressflight is offline  
Old 6th Jan 2024, 14:33
  #1238 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 1,228
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Expressflight
This is just a thought and I have no evidence to back it up but their website states that, due to their environmentally friendly credentials, they will suggest possible alternative departure points to clients to avoid unnecessary positioning. If they had operational bases at SEN and LGW that policy would be easier to apply for the LON market.

Ascend are also not just offering ACMI services but ad hoc charter capacity as well where this aspect may come more into play.
Let’s not forget SEN supplies 25% of its electricity requirement from its own solar farm. Gamechanger? Probably not, but given what you say regarding their stated environmental commitments, probably a factor considered alongside many others when Ascend made their decisions.
DC3 Dave is offline  
Old 6th Jan 2024, 15:11
  #1239 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 9,844
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Expressflight
This is just a thought and I have no evidence to back it up but their website states that, due to their environmentally friendly credentials. .
Flying is not environmentally friendly. It is the opposite.
LTNman is offline  
Old 6th Jan 2024, 15:16
  #1240 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 5,675
Likes: 0
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by LTNman
Flying is not environmentally friendly. It is the opposite.
Whenever an aviation related company talks about the environment, there is always greenwash involved. However companies can try to minimise whatever environmental evils they commit. One should encourage any attempts at doing the right thing when such an option exists, even if profit is the primary motive.
davidjohnson6 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.