Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Glasgow vs Edinburgh

Old 11th Sep 2018, 04:28
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Here
Posts: 626
Glasgow vs Edinburgh

These two Central Belt airports seem to have suffered somewhat different fortunes over recent decades. They are only about 50 miles apart and linked by a Motorway however Edinburgh seems to be prospering at Glasgow's expense despite the Glasgow area being the larger population centre. I have noticed that many holidays seem to be unavailable with Glasgow flights, with Edinburgh only departure option from Scotland.

Annual passengers.


The green line is the ratio [Edin-passengers / glasgow-pass * 10,000,000]. (10,000,000 chosen to scale it to fit nicely on the chart) It shows that Glasgow seems to be holding it's own over more recent years (after 2011?) since it does not seem to be losing market share now.

I recently posted a similar chart in Biz jets section of PPRuNe[1] in response to a question about a lack of Biz Jet services at Edin. but I thought that someone here may have some insight as to the reason(s) for this change in relative fortune?

The population of the Glasgow area seems to be quite a bit larger than that of the Edinburgh area.

"Glasgow has an estimated population of 596,000, which is little changed from 595,000 in 2012 and 593,000 in 2011. ... The larger Greater Glasgow area has an estimated population of 1.2 million, while the region surrounding the conurbation has about 2.8 million residents. This represents about 42% of the population of Scotland."[2]

"Edinburgh has an estimated population of 489,000, ...
The larger urban population is estimated at 820,000."[3]

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

[1] Edinburgh Airport (Biz and G/A)
[2] http://worldpopulationreview.com/wor...ow-population/
[3] http://worldpopulationreview.com/wor...gh-population/

Last edited by jimjim1; 11th Sep 2018 at 04:47. Reason: minor
jimjim1 is offline  
Old 11th Sep 2018, 05:38
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 1,493
Lot of inbound tourism to Edinburgh, about 3.8 million people a year compared to Glasgow with 800,000. Glasgow and N Lanarkshire have a 25% ish lower average disposable income than Edinburgh I mean don't take my word for it just look at the classic ICAO decode: EGPH: (posh houses) EGPF: (poor f*ckers)

Location is important: Edinburgh airport is to the west of the city and although the traffic is bad can also capture Stirlingshire, Fife and really all the way to Perth and Dundee. To get from any of those to GLA you have to go through Glasgow and out the other side. Indeed if you live in the eastern bits of Glasgow , Edinburgh airport may be easier than Glasgow to get to...

Glasgow still doesn't have a rail link...Edinburgh has a tram (not sure that's an advantage or disadvantage ;-) )
Daysleeper is offline  
Old 11th Sep 2018, 06:29
  #3 (permalink)  
Fit like min?
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ...
Posts: 2,037
The constant bickering between the GLA & EDI fanboys bores the pants off me frankly. I just wish both airports success.
Richard Taylor is offline  
Old 11th Sep 2018, 07:33
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: United kingdom
Posts: 161
True, both airports serve Scotland for different reasons and I wish them both success.
Plane mad 134 is offline  
Old 11th Sep 2018, 11:37
  #5 (permalink)  
CH3CH2OH
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The Pub
Posts: 478
5711N0205W is offline  
Old 11th Sep 2018, 11:54
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Belfast
Posts: 184
Originally Posted by Richard Taylor View Post
The constant bickering between the GLA & EDI fanboys bores the pants off me frankly. I just wish both airports success.
Yeah. Fan boys just ruin these fourms !!
Startledgrapefruit is offline  
Old 11th Sep 2018, 12:00
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by Richard Taylor View Post
The constant bickering between the GLA & EDI fanboys bores the pants off me frankly. I just wish both airports success.

could not agree more.
Haldane90 is offline  
Old 11th Sep 2018, 23:39
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 111
Originally Posted by Daysleeper View Post
Location is important: Edinburgh airport is to the west of the city and although the traffic is bad can also capture Stirlingshire, Fife and really all the way to Perth and Dundee. To get from any of those to GLA you have to go through Glasgow and out the other side. Indeed if you live in the eastern bits of Glasgow , Edinburgh airport may be easier than Glasgow to get to...

Glasgow still doesn't have a rail link...Edinburgh has a tram (not sure that's an advantage or disadvantage ;-) )
GLA is not helped by Glasgow's transport structure and policies. All railways run into terminus stations and all roads bottleneck at the Kingston Bridge approaches. There is a four platform railway station less than a runway length from the GLA terminal to which a people mover could take passengers onto a raised platform straddling over all the lines to Glasgow, Ayrshire and Renfrewshire. Glasgow City Council are not interested because it is in Paisley and come up with all sorts of hare brained attempts to get a train and even a tram/train from the airport to the dead end Glasgow Central station. They can't seem to understand that very few luggage laden passengers want to go to the City centre. For a proper rail link there should ideally be a branch that crosses under the Clyde and joins the existing low level lines through Central and Queen Street.
Rob Royston is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2018, 06:44
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 10,684
Originally Posted by Richard Taylor View Post
The constant bickering between the GLA & EDI fanboys bores the pants off me frankly. I just wish both airports success.
All I'm seeing is a (relatively) sober discussion about the challenges faced by the two resoective airports.

What have I missed ?
DaveReidUK is online now  
Old 12th Sep 2018, 08:15
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: London, UK
Posts: 374
I drove recently from Edinburgh to Ayr and expected to go over the Kingston Bridge but instead went on a relatively new bit of motorway and avoided the aerial tour of Glasgow City Centre. Just wondered whether this new bit of motorway has relieved the congestion on the Kingston Bridge at all? Later that day, about 6.00pm I drove from Ayr to Glasgow Airport and I must say the traffic congestion on the motorway towards the airport was pretty grim (but nothing like as bad as the M25 on a Friday pm!!)
willy wombat is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2018, 08:34
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: SW Scotland
Age: 36
Posts: 259
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK View Post
All I'm seeing is a (relatively) sober discussion about the challenges faced by the two resoective airports.

What have I missed ?
About 15+ years of posts.. apparently.
nighthawk117 is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2018, 09:38
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 111
Originally Posted by willy wombat View Post
I drove recently from Edinburgh to Ayr and expected to go over the Kingston Bridge but instead went on a relatively new bit of motorway and avoided the aerial tour of Glasgow City Centre. Just wondered whether this new bit of motorway has relieved the congestion on the Kingston Bridge at all? Later that day, about 6.00pm I drove from Ayr to Glasgow Airport and I must say the traffic congestion on the motorway towards the airport was pretty grim (but nothing like as bad as the M25 on a Friday pm!!)
You must have gone M8-M73-M74-M77. You cross the Clyde around Cambuslang. The new M74 link has made a big difference but during the busy times there is still congestion in the Kinning Park area where two motorways from the East meet two motorways from the West. There were plans for ring roads in the sixties and the routes were kept free but in the last twenty years these have been built over. The Northern outer ring road would have taken traffic from the East out to the Erskine Bridge which would have been perfect for the airport but like with the railway it seems everyone has to go via Glasgow city centre.
Rob Royston is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2018, 09:40
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Asia
Posts: 523
After binge watching Taggart, I can see no reason to visit Glasgow.
krismiler is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2018, 14:02
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 728
Originally Posted by krismiler View Post
After binge watching Taggart, I can see no reason to visit Glasgow.
Haha... That's a bit like saying that after watching 'Apocalype Now' I've got no intention of visiting Asia
jensdad is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2018, 16:31
  #15 (permalink)  
V12
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 127
Originally Posted by Richard Taylor View Post
The constant bickering between the GLA & EDI fanboys bores the pants off me frankly. I just wish both airports success.
...so why read it, ... and then why post a reply??! Posting a response is engaging with a subject that you claim is boring. You can't be so bored that you then get involved - you need to get a life.

Try skimming over them and not responding, and therefore not negatively contributing to a forum you chose to join!!

SAD
V12 is offline  
Old 13th Sep 2018, 20:57
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LV
Posts: 1,751
Originally Posted by krismiler View Post
After binge watching Taggart, I can see no reason to visit Glasgow.
Just as well its nothing like the 80's portrayal
https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/g...ising-15146996
CabinCrewe is offline  
Old 13th Sep 2018, 21:22
  #17 (permalink)  
Fit like min?
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ...
Posts: 2,037
Originally Posted by V12 View Post
...so why read it, ... and then why post a reply??! Posting a response is engaging with a subject that you claim is boring. You can't be so bored that you then get involved - you need to get a life.

Try skimming over them and not responding, and therefore not negatively contributing to a forum you chose to join!!

SAD
Exhibit A...………………

I wish both airports success.
Richard Taylor is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.