PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasgow vs Edinburgh
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2018, 09:38
Rob Royston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by willy wombat
I drove recently from Edinburgh to Ayr and expected to go over the Kingston Bridge but instead went on a relatively new bit of motorway and avoided the aerial tour of Glasgow City Centre. Just wondered whether this new bit of motorway has relieved the congestion on the Kingston Bridge at all? Later that day, about 6.00pm I drove from Ayr to Glasgow Airport and I must say the traffic congestion on the motorway towards the airport was pretty grim (but nothing like as bad as the M25 on a Friday pm!!)
You must have gone M8-M73-M74-M77. You cross the Clyde around Cambuslang. The new M74 link has made a big difference but during the busy times there is still congestion in the Kinning Park area where two motorways from the East meet two motorways from the West. There were plans for ring roads in the sixties and the routes were kept free but in the last twenty years these have been built over. The Northern outer ring road would have taken traffic from the East out to the Erskine Bridge which would have been perfect for the airport but like with the railway it seems everyone has to go via Glasgow city centre.