Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Thomas Cook-2

Reply

Old 5th Dec 2018, 22:50
  #281 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: East London
Age: 36
Posts: 766
Logic to me would have said the High Street model is dead and Thomas Cook need to get out of their own units which surely have massive overheads and perhaps move into concessions within Tesco, Sainsburyís etc. However, where I live they recently moved into a new branch as well as maintaining a second site. Iíve also seen a new branch not so far from here. So perhaps we shouldnít be so quick to write off the model.

With retail rents becoming more depressed, perhaps in future Jet2 might themselves see opportunities for a High Street presence.
AirportPlanner1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2018, 23:36
  #282 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STANSTED & MANCHESTER
Posts: 1,600
Originally Posted by AirportPlanner1 View Post
Logic to me would have said the High Street model is dead and Thomas Cook need to get out of their own units which surely have massive overheads and perhaps move into concessions within Tesco, Sainsbury’s etc. However, where I live they recently moved into a new branch as well as maintaining a second site. I’ve also seen a new branch not so far from here. So perhaps we shouldn’t be so quick to write off the model.

With retail rents becoming more depressed, perhaps in future Jet2 might themselves see opportunities for a High Street presence.
First off, Jet2 will never have a high street shop or shops, their social media presence is light years ahead of all others and is working very well. You state that Thomas Cook have two shops where you live, there lies the problem, who needs shops when you can have a brilliant convenient website or sites where the customer does the work of a staff member.

Can I just ask, has anyone else got any ideas on how Thomas Cook should go forward.
daz211 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2018, 23:38
  #283 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 37
Posts: 254
The high street isn’t dead in the markets Thomas Cook and TUI major in. Quite the contrary in some areas.
Not sure how logical your high spending multi trips per year package buying cross sell star spending older mortgage free types are.....
You state that Thomas Cook have two shops where you live, there lies the problem, who needs shops when you can have a brilliant convenient website or sites where the customer does the work of a staff member.
Well, the cohort I mention above, they LOVE shops and are a core market, and more importantly, usually profitable. Stop assuming the whole world does everything online for themselves, never gonna happen.

Daz211 you mean digital media and online, we don’t sell via social media, (FB, twitter, Instagram) we raise brand awareness with some click through but it’s not geared to close a deal.
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2018, 08:26
  #284 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: East London
Age: 36
Posts: 766
Originally Posted by daz211 View Post


First off, Jet2 will never have a high street shop or shops, their social media presence is light years ahead of all others and is working very well. You state that Thomas Cook have two shops where you live, there lies the problem, who needs shops when you can have a brilliant convenient website or sites where the customer does the work of a staff member.

Can I just ask, has anyone else got any ideas on how Thomas Cook should go forward.
I live in a fairly wealthy area...eg we have a John Lewis department store and very few pound shops/chicken shops...and weíre not exactly overrun with pensioners. Quite the opposite really. So perhaps the internet isnít the be-all and end-all. You could apply your argument to anything - why do Next, M&S, Iceland, Tesco bother having shops?

For the record Iíd never use a travel agent, but clearly many still do. I think youíre mistaken if you think Jet2 would never consider it, if the right opportunity came along and it added to the bottom line Iím sure they would. They have had a physical High Street presence anyway because Iíve seen it, OK it was more akin to a market stall but nonetheless it was offline. Like I say, rents arenít what they were.
AirportPlanner1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2018, 08:51
  #285 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STANSTED & MANCHESTER
Posts: 1,600
I think we will have to agree to disagree on this matter but obviously something has to change and I don’t see anyone else on here including you having a suggestion on how it could be done. I think we all agree that something has to change or we will be talking about it again next winter if they get through this one.
daz211 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2018, 08:56
  #286 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hemel Hempstead
Posts: 826
Obviously, there are preconceptions here as to what a travel agent is - and there is now clearly a difference in what that role entails. Traditionally it was an outlet to sell prepackaged holidays, or what you would describe as a traditional ‘package holiday’. Its fair to say that a lot of that market has moved online - but there are areas where travel agents add value.

There is also a difference between a retail shop owned by a multiple such as TUI or Thomas Cook (or Kuoni or Virgin), where there is a desire to sell their own product. However, until only recently Thomas Cook has sold other tour operators as well. Neither are really travel agents any more, but representatives to booking their own packages.

The real travel agents are the independents - either with a high street presence, or homeworkers. Its fair to say that the market for them is heading towards higher end, more complex travel arrangements which can be difficult for ‘normal’ people to book, or value the advise of a travel professional. Jet2 have been very supportive of Indy agents, and have already committed even further resources to growing that market - something Thomas Cook has started moving away from.

Regarding the two shops - yes, I think Thomas Cook and TUI have said where there is a duplication they wouldn’t be renewing leases - but this is a hangover from the First Choice/Thomson and Thomas Cook/Airtours mergers which duplicated shores in towns.
toledoashley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2018, 09:47
  #287 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STANSTED & MANCHESTER
Posts: 1,600
Originally Posted by toledoashley View Post
Obviously, there are preconceptions here as to what a travel agent is - and there is now clearly a difference in what that role entails. Traditionally it was an outlet to sell prepackaged holidays, or what you would describe as a traditional ‘package holiday’. Its fair to say that a lot of that market has moved online - but there are areas where travel agents add value.

There is also a difference between a retail shop owned by a multiple such as TUI or Thomas Cook (or Kuoni or Virgin), where there is a desire to sell their own product. However, until only recently Thomas Cook has sold other tour operators as well. Neither are really travel agents any more, but representatives to booking their own packages.

The real travel agents are the independents - either with a high street presence, or homeworkers. Its fair to say that the market for them is heading towards higher end, more complex travel arrangements which can be difficult for ‘normal’ people to book, or value the advise of a travel professional. Jet2 have been very supportive of Indy agents, and have already committed even further resources to growing that market - something Thomas Cook has started moving away from.

Regarding the two shops - yes, I think Thomas Cook and TUI have said where there is a duplication they wouldn’t be renewing leases - but this is a hangover from the First Choice/Thomson and Thomas Cook/Airtours mergers which duplicated shores in towns.
I fully understand what a travel agent is and how it can provide a better experience to more complex travelers however if you look at what works you will see Jet2, Ryanair and EasyJet, what I would call the most successful out there don’t have shops and are online platforms only. Regarding the double shops which was left over from First choice,Thomson and Airtours, this just provides how slow Thomas Cook are at putting plans into action, closing one of the double shops should have been a priority and been dealt with immediately not a few years down the line.

Lets leave the shops aside for a minute, another major problem is the website it’s a poor experience compared to the likes of Jet2 Easyjet and Ryanair, it slow and not as easy to navigate as others also it looks very old fashioned and needs livened up.

Thomas Cook need to work fast and hard on lively, exiting and interactive social media and have a modern bright fun TV campaign but even with all this, it’s Thomas Cooks model that probably has to change to concentrate on seat only sales alongside a secondary package holiday part of the company, it’s not like they have to invent a bran new concept, all they have to do is follow the models of others out there.

Still I don’t here from anyone, on how things could be made better.


Last edited by daz211; 6th Dec 2018 at 10:15.
daz211 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2018, 10:28
  #288 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hemel Hempstead
Posts: 826
Originally Posted by daz211 View Post


I fully understand what a travel agent is and how it can provide a better experience to more complex travelers however if you look at what works you will see Jet2, Ryanair and EasyJet, what I would call the most successful out there donít have shops and are online platforms only. Regarding the double shops which was left over from First choice,Thomson and Airtours, this just provides how slow Thomas Cook are at putting plans into action, closing one of the double shops should have been a priority and been dealt with immediately not a few years down the line.

Lets leave the shops aside for a minute, another major problem is the website itís a poor experience compared to the likes of Jet2 Easyjet and Ryanair, it slow and not as easy to navigate as others also it looks very old fashioned and needs livened up.

Thomas Cook need to work fast and hard on lively, exiting and interactive social media and have a modern bright fun TV campaign but even with all this, itís Thomas Cooks model that probably has to change to concentrate on seat only sales alongside a secondary package holiday part of the company, itís not like they have to invent a bran new concept, all they have to do is follow the models of others out there.

Still I donít here from anyone, on how things could be made better.

I would even contemplate a renaming. Maybe there should be a separate brand for what you are describing and the Thomas Cook brand retained for what is now called 'Signature' and Tours - where the Thomas Cook name has some kudos.
toledoashley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2018, 12:35
  #289 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 566
Thomas Cook need to work fast and hard on lively, exiting and interactive social media and have a modern bright fun TV campaign but even with all this, itís Thomas Cooks model that probably has to change to concentrate on seat only sales alongside a secondary package holiday part of the company, itís not like they have to invent a bran new concept, all they have to do is follow the models of others out there.
Wasn't the concept of seat only flying a failure as tried by My travel (lite).
Thomson tried it with Thomsonfly and it didn't last. They only have a small amount of seat only flights now that compliment the holiday flying.
I think that part of the issue for the Airline, Are they a holiday carrier or a scheduled carrier? No-one really knows for sure. Granted Jet2 are both but they are a fairly new and original brand in comparison to the many different brands that have come to create TUI and Thomas Cook. They probably have lower historical overheads as well.
Some of their long haul routes to the USA, Are they holiday flights, Are they scheduled flights? Who is their target market? Would people think Thomas Cook when comparing the like of VS and BA?
They may have to submit to using other carriers on the shorter routes and reduce short haul flying, unless they can break new short haul holiday destinations to supplement mid haul flying.

Thomas Cook certainly need to evolve as a tour operator. TUI have and have become much more engaging with its customers. They were once the one that was behind everyone else, now they are pushing ahead of most.
caaardiff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2018, 12:59
  #290 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hemel Hempstead
Posts: 826
Worth noting that the UK CEO has departed this morning - to be replaced by a returning Chris Mottershead.
toledoashley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2018, 15:10
  #291 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Clarty Waters, UK
Age: 53
Posts: 862
Originally Posted by daz211 View Post
Regarding the double shops which was left over from First choice,Thomson and Airtours, this just provides how slow Thomas Cook are at putting plans into action, closing one of the double shops should have been a priority and been dealt with immediately not a few years down the line.
Maybe because they were waiting for leases to expire?
Andy_S is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2018, 15:33
  #292 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 35,000ft
Posts: 622
But if you own two out of three travel agency shops on the same high street, it could be argued that you earn two thirds of the walk-in trade rather than one third if you owned just one.
In my town TC have two shops within throwing distance of each other. That to me doesnít make any business sense whatsoever.
pamann is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2018, 16:58
  #293 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Birmingham - UK
Posts: 47
Originally Posted by pamann View Post
But if you own two out of three travel agency shops on the same high street, it could be argued that you earn two thirds of the walk-in trade rather than one third if you owned just one.
In my town TC have two shops within throwing distance of each other. That to me doesnít make any business sense whatsoever.
Generally I would agree however I have a relative that works in a City Centre branch of TC with another one literally a 30 second walk away, she says both branches are profitable and strangely have different customer bases.

I suppose if the demand is there are it's more cost effective to operate 2 branches then go for it. I suppose consolidating into a single retail space might make sense but then the larger the space the more expensive rates can be, so 2 smaller spaces relatively close together might overall be cheaper and still bring in the same revenue.

It's all a balancing act
xanda_man is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2018, 18:54
  #294 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Coast to Coast...
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by 160to4DME View Post
So cursed, EK are about to upgrade by putting their 77Ws with the latest First Class in there..
Well when Yours Habibi owns the oil supply that feeds the machine, I suppose they can.
Smooth Airperator is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2018, 08:32
  #295 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Bermuda Shorts and Cessna Caravans
Posts: 227
Originally Posted by Smooth Airperator View Post
Well when Yours Habibi owns the oil supply that feeds the machine, I suppose they can.
You miss the point entirely. Only a handful of the fleet has the new First Suite, serving Geneva, Brussels and London.

One might take from this move that EK hold STN in the same regard as LHR; as an important capital city airport.
160to4DME is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2018, 13:59
  #296 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bishops stortford herts
Posts: 1,051
Agreed the point missed by Smooth Airperator entirely...

STN is one of only 7 destinations in the entire Emirates network that receives the new First Suite on the newly delivered B773`s.

It may have appeared to be "a uniquely funny quip" but again perhaps illustrates the eyes closed/fingers in ears approach toward STN.
southside bobby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2018, 21:36
  #297 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: The EU
Posts: 159
Funny, I thought this was the Thomas Cook thread, not the willy-waving Stansted fanboys thread.

There's a reason TUI, Thomas Cook and virtually every other airline has stopped their long haul service from the airport. Because it's awful.
Vokes55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2018, 21:45
  #298 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Posts: 623
Condor's D-ATCD operated MT1373 TFS-NCL tonight is this a one off or is Condor picking up some TCX work this winter.
LiamNCL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2018, 07:42
  #299 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bishops stortford herts
Posts: 1,051
Vokes55...

Deary me...It does not require the satisfaction of acknowledgement but.....The use of hackneyed phrases/description & non substantive views do nothing for credibility.
southside bobby is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2018, 09:07
  #300 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: The EU
Posts: 159
Well your whole tangent about Stansted is based on personal opinion rather than fact, so why change the tone?

Thanks for the nibble though.
Vokes55 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service