Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Stansted-3

Old 1st Oct 2018, 19:22
  #1201 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Stansted Airport
Posts: 164
Gutted that today we lose Primera from our sky’s. Not a legacy airline but a good airline running for quite a few years out of Scandinavia. As much as this is a big, big loss from Stansted, I feel for the workers in Scandinavia just as much as. I hope all the wokers find new airlines or jobs soon.
As has been stated it will probably be a while for Stansted to get another airline flying towards the USA and Canada. Hopefully Primera proved their is some demand and someone will fill the gap sooner rather that later.
STN406 is offline  
Old 1st Oct 2018, 20:21
  #1202 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Daws Heath Essex
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by STN406 View Post
Gutted that today we lose Primera from our sky’s. Not a legacy airline but a good airline running for quite a few years out of Scandinavia. As much as this is a big, big loss from Stansted, I feel for the workers in Scandinavia just as much as. I hope all the wokers find new airlines or jobs soon.
As has been stated it will probably be a while for Stansted to get another airline flying towards the USA and Canada. Hopefully Primera proved their is some demand and someone will fill the gap sooner rather that later.
Very sad especially for the staff, but it has been a slow motion train crash for sometime. Special subject ' the bleedin' obvious'.
Planespeaking is offline  
Old 1st Oct 2018, 21:20
  #1203 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 38
Posts: 358
Originally Posted by daz211 View Post
Putting aside the sad news.
passenger figures were good and proves Transatlantic can work from Stansted.
what we need now is a well known airline to come in and operate at least the Newyork route.

Quite the contrary, Stansted just can’t support the price points to make enough money. Primera led on price, price, price and went bust as a result. If yields were decent, Continental wouldn’t have left, and American would have given it a third go. Stansted was and remains a loco airport with the exception of Emirates, to whom the usual rules don’t apply due to an overwhelming critical mass of connections. Aside from Jet2, I can’t see any established airline launching New York. If Jetblue decide to enter the London market, surely to goodness it will be Gatters. Loads are ALWAYS good if you sell at “too good to be true” prices. All Primera have done is shown once again why STN doesn’t do well in this market.
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 1st Oct 2018, 21:41
  #1204 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STANSTED & MANCHESTER
Posts: 1,682
Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot View Post

Quite the contrary, Stansted just can’t support the price points to make enough money. Primera led on price, price, price and went bust as a result. If yields were decent, Continental wouldn’t have left, and American would have given it a third go. Stansted was and remains a loco airport with the exception of Emirates, to whom the usual rules don’t apply due to an overwhelming critical mass of connections. Aside from Jet2, I can’t see any established airline launching New York. If Jetblue decide to enter the London market, surely to goodness it will be Gatters. Loads are ALWAYS good if you sell at “too good to be true” prices. All Primera have done is shown once again why STN doesn’t do well in this market.
Do you actually know why continental left ?
Do you know why American came and Left ?
Do you know how much wealth is in the catchment for Stansted ?
Do you know How overcrowded LGW is on the Newyork route ?
Do you know how hard it is to get slots at LGW ?
daz211 is offline  
Old 1st Oct 2018, 21:55
  #1205 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Southampton
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by daz211 View Post

Do you actually know why continental left ?
Do you know why American came and Left ?
Do you know how much wealth is in the catchment for Stansted ?
Do you know How overcrowded LGW is on the Newyork route ?
Do you know how hard it is to get slots at LGW ?
I think that we all know the answers to those questions and I'm sure you do too so why waste time posting them!

Regarding the first two questions we are all aware of the answers to those aren't we.

But in saying that I do hope that if or when JetBlue do finally announce Transatlantic that STN will be part of it as I can't honestly see them going up against BA and Norwegian at LGW.
canberra97 is offline  
Old 1st Oct 2018, 22:03
  #1206 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STANSTED & MANCHESTER
Posts: 1,682
Originally Posted by canberra97 View Post


I think that we all know the answers to those questions and I'm sure you do too so why waste time posting them!

Regarding the first two questions we are all aware of the answers to those aren't we.

But in saying that I do hope that if or when JetBlue do finally announce Transatlantic that STN will be part of it as I can't honestly see them going up against BA and Norwegian at LGW.
you would think the answers to the Questions were obvious but from reading the rubbish wrote by Skipness one foxtrot I’m not so sure he knows suggesting continental and American left due to yeald and Stansted can only sustain LCC is just wrong.
daz211 is offline  
Old 1st Oct 2018, 23:09
  #1207 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 38
Posts: 358
Do you actually know why continental left ?
Do you know why American came and Left ?
Do you know how much wealth is in the catchment for Stansted ?
Do you know How overcrowded LGW is on the Newyork route ?
Do you know how hard it is to get slots at LGW
American dropped ORD as compared to LHR, yields were poor.
American dropped JFK as it was a pure spoiler route against MaxJet and EOS. They have dropped STN twice now.
Continental retrenched to LGW and dropped STN.
LGW-JFK on BA is the only one on LON-NYC not to offer a First Cabin, LGW-JFK has always challenged them compared to LHR. This is a clue on yields in this market.
Wealth in the Stansted area doesn’t remotely compare to the business traffic generated in the London/M4 corridor at LHR.
I know today is raw for supporters of STN but marketing analysis is my day job, so perhaps all the above airlines were making too much money from all the wealth in Essex and Cambridge or perhaps, just perhaps, there are some weaknesses in your analysis.

If you are right and someone comes into STN-US at Primera levels for 2019 then I will apologise publically on here for all to see, I don’t mind being wrong in that way at all, not one bit. Let’s see who jumps in?

You would think the answers to the Questions were obvious but from reading the rubbish wrote by Skipness one foxtrot I’m not so sure he knows suggesting continental and American left due to yeald and Stansted can only sustain LCC is just wrong.
It was a mixture of poor yield and a strategy to maximise value of their substantial investment in slots and ops at LHR. I have flown out of STN four times this year and excepting EK and a smattering of BA’s attempts to keep CFE busy at weeknds, it remains overwhelmingly Loco and there is *NOTHING* wrong with that, but consequently it will and does struggle to do long haul, as high fares down the front make low fares down the back sustainable.

It’s “yield” btw, no ‘a’.

Last edited by Skipness One Foxtrot; 1st Oct 2018 at 23:44.
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 2nd Oct 2018, 04:49
  #1208 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Herts
Posts: 28
As I mentioned before it wasn't a yield facter with the dropping of AA and CO in the past at STN and apart from a smattering at Gatters it's a acc charter airport.
Keanaga is offline  
Old 2nd Oct 2018, 06:32
  #1209 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bishops stortford herts
Posts: 1,304
Regarding the previous from the "marketing analysis day job" posts...

Could it be argued & agreed that inherent with the position is exclusive use of the rear view mirror.

If so would the human factor in the job be vulnerable perhaps then to big data mining & algorithm, or do we really require that human interpretation after all?.

If the human interpretation/touch is a prerequisite then MAN STN & RYR are well flattered as these three are continually subject to "analysis" & comment from the same poster & thus could be interpreted as indeed performing or potential pretenders to LHR with its "locked in syndrome".

Accepted the term is used to "annoy" but it is Gatwick or LGW of course & not "Gatters"....

School days being school days of course we did refer to it sometimes as "The `Wick" I recall.
southside bobby is offline  
Old 2nd Oct 2018, 08:26
  #1210 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: DORSET
Age: 62
Posts: 656
IIRC Highland Express with their 747 G-HIHO was the first ''scheduled'' Transatlantic carrier from STN to EWR in June 1987

The flight went through PIK to EWR (soon after also operated to EWR from BHX via PIK, and then for 3 weeks from LGW too, then they collapsed)

They had traffic rights on the STN-PIK leg tickets were sold at £19 o/w which made them the first LCC to ever operate from STN within the UK

(The Company lasted until Nov 1987 - less than 6 months)
rog747 is offline  
Old 2nd Oct 2018, 13:26
  #1211 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Daws Heath Essex
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by rog747 View Post
IIRC Highland Express with their 747 G-HIHO was the first ''scheduled'' Transatlantic carrier from STN to EWR in June 1987

The flight went through PIK to EWR (soon after also operated to EWR from BHX via PIK, and then for 3 weeks from LGW too, then they collapsed)

They had traffic rights on the STN-PIK leg tickets were sold at £19 o/w which made them the first LCC to ever operate from STN within the UK

(The Company lasted until Nov 1987 - less than 6 months)
Remember that airline so well, I was working at STN for Air Uk at the time. Outside police had to be brought in to control unhappy pax, and on one occasion whilst looking out of my office window the lone Highland Express 747 was doing engine runs on the ramp when there was a bang, the engine cowling flew off and turbine blades went whining off in all directions. Luckily no one was injured.
"Highland Express regret to announce........!"

Planespeaking is offline  
Old 2nd Oct 2018, 13:42
  #1212 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Southampton
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by southside bobby View Post
Regarding the previous from the "marketing analysis day job" posts...

Could it be argued & agreed that inherent with the position is exclusive use of the rear view mirror.

If so would the human factor in the job be vulnerable perhaps then to big data mining & algorithm, or do we really require that human interpretation after all?.

If the human interpretation/touch is a prerequisite then MAN STN & RYR are well flattered as these three are continually subject to "analysis" & comment from the same poster & thus could be interpreted as indeed performing or potential pretenders to LHR with its "locked in syndrome".

Accepted the term is used to "annoy" but it is Gatwick or LGW of course & not "Gatters"....

School days being school days of course we did refer to it sometimes as "The `Wick" I recall.
Regarding your last comment.

From my school boy days and later college days from the late 70's and early 80's some aviation enthusiasts of the day often referred to Gatwick as the ''wick'' never ''Gatters'', a term I absolutely despise btw.

If we were going to Heathrow it was often referred to as the ''row'', I never used the term the ''row'' or the ''wick'' it was always Gatwick or Heathrow, I have never used these two pointless terms in my life and I don't understand why some individuals persist in using them.
canberra97 is offline  
Old 2nd Oct 2018, 13:56
  #1213 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bishops stortford herts
Posts: 1,304
Yes frankly I had never heard the term "Gatters" prior to these threads.

Absolutely agree with Heathrow being referred to as the "row" too & unfortunately (as far as age goes perhaps) my first encounters regarding it were as LAP!.
southside bobby is offline  
Old 2nd Oct 2018, 14:05
  #1214 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Daws Heath Essex
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by southside bobby View Post
Yes frankly I had never heard the term "Gatters" prior to these threads.

Absolutely agree with Heathrow being referred to as the "row" too & unfortunately (as far as age goes perhaps) my first encounters regarding it were as LAP!.
I apologise if already posted but at one time didn't LGW become known as Gatport Airwick?
Planespeaking is offline  
Old 2nd Oct 2018, 14:18
  #1215 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 195
Originally Posted by southside bobby View Post
Yes frankly I had never heard the term "Gatters" prior to these threads..
southside bobby, you see? PPRuNe - it's not just entertaining, but educational too! I first came across the moniker "Gatters" decades ago, think it was intended as a kind of pseudo-snobbish "Nigel-ese". And now you mention it Planespeaking, yes Gatport Airwick is certainly another blast from the past - thank you!
seafire6b is offline  
Old 2nd Oct 2018, 14:38
  #1216 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bishops stortford herts
Posts: 1,304
Gatport Airwick....forgotten that one but as I remember it the usage being as a slightly cutting but humorous reflection by non Gatwick people.

Real titles though...(perhaps)…

STN was laid down by the Americans in 1942 officially as Station 169,but unofficially for a time was also referred to as George Washington Field.

In the 70`s when major expansion for STN was on the cards (again) powers that be floated the idea of renaming it Winston Churchill a la JFK & CDG.

The idea was canned by no less than PM Mrs Thatcher...(I wonder why?.)

Ooops..severe thread drift.
southside bobby is offline  
Old 2nd Oct 2018, 14:56
  #1217 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Essex
Posts: 55
Air Moldova

i have just seen some reports on twitter of Blue Air of Romania agreeing to buy Air Moldova. I wonder if true, Could that result in a move to LTN in the future.
bananamanuk is offline  
Old 2nd Oct 2018, 15:31
  #1218 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Luton/Tenerife
Posts: 754
Air Moldova/Blue Air....
Civil Aviation Group SRL, which includes the Romanian airline Blue Air, won the privatization of Moldova's national airline, Air Moldova, offering the price of 50 million Moldovan lei.

According to a Blue Air release, Civil Aviation Group also took over Air Moldova's debts of about 1.2 billion Moldovan lei.

"We are proud that Air Moldova has entered the big Blue Air family and we are happy to be here in the Centenary Year. Blue Air success at international level gives us the opportunity to contribute with our experience to the future of Air Moldova. the confidence that it will become the pride of all Moldovans and the first option for their travel. Last but not least, this development has benefits for the local labor market, for tourism and, in general, for the community, "said Marius Puiu, general manager of Blue Air.

The new shareholder states that it maintains the current Air Moldova flight schedule, and the priority is to regain customer confidence to improve business performance. At the same time, Civil Aviation Group is committed to turning Air Moldova into a successful modern airline with a strong and well-trained team to provide passengers with the highest standards of service, the statement said.

"Access to state-of-the-art IT technology, infrastructure development and fleet modernization, along with the Romanian aviation industry's experience will open new horizons for Air Moldova and will create the premises for sustainable development, providing new opportunities for young people, discovering a career in one of the most dynamic industries ", the quoted document states.

Civil Aviation Group SRL is made up of the Romanian airline Blue Air, along with a group of investors from the Republic of Moldova. Blue Air is an IATA member and has an impeccable flight record. It is the largest Romanian airline by the number of passengers transported, with over 21 million passengers transported. The development trend continued in 2017, when onboard Blue Air aircraft traveled over 5 million passengers in 16 European countries. With a fleet of Boeing 737 planes, Blue Air has served over 100 routes this year. For 2019, Blue Air is waiting for the delivery of 12 new Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft.

Founded on 1 January 1993, Air Moldova is the largest airline on the Moldovan market, accounting for about 50% of passenger air transport and having connections with the Commonwealth of Independent States and the European Union.

Courtesy antena3.ro
ericlday is offline  
Old 2nd Oct 2018, 16:07
  #1219 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bishops stortford herts
Posts: 1,304
Air Moldova have been carrying a very large amount of debt & not helped particularly by sub chartering a/c each Summer peak to support the STN schedule at least.
southside bobby is offline  
Old 2nd Oct 2018, 17:04
  #1220 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: looking out of the window
Posts: 535
Originally Posted by bananamanuk View Post
Air Moldova

i have just seen some reports on twitter of Blue Air of Romania agreeing to buy Air Moldova. I wonder if true, Could that result in a move to LTN in the future.
I look forward to pages on the Luton thread about how many aircraft, what type (no doubt wide-body) and how transformational it will be for the airport.

I wonder , if true, Could that result in a move to STN for Blue Air....
whitelighter is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.