Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Southampton-2

Old 18th Apr 2019, 15:43
  #1541 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 474
Originally Posted by SotonFlightpath View Post
I really donít know why so many people on the forum are so keen to see SOU develop into just another regional airport. As I have mentioned before, SOU is very, very different from most other regionals, and is located in a very geographically-challenging location. It is a largely urban/suburban area, hemmed-in by industrial sites, high density housing, a railway works which is growing rather than declining, a railway depot, a station and a motorway. It is actually within the town of Eastleigh, and well within the contiguous built-up Southampton/Solent area. Nearby Portsmouth is the most densely-populated built-up area in the UK Ė even greater than central London, and Southampton just to the south of the airport is the third most densely-populated area. In such a location, any expansion is likely to be unpopular.

The South Hampshire Metropolitan area has a combined population of over 1.5 million, It is the most populated part of south east England, excluding London, making it the most densely populated region in the UK. As such, I have always considered SOU as a regional version of LCY. Not withstanding the uncertainty with Flyby/Connect, SOUís essential role will always be frequent, domestic and short haul European traffic primarily for the business market Ė operated by small aircraft. These kind of routes have always been reasonably profitable, as they can operate with fuel/cost-efficient turboprops and a relatively high fare can be charged for the convenience of flying from a local airport. Indeed, the business community has always appreciated the quick Ďbreeze-throughí approach to flying from SOU because it is a small airport!

There will always be a market for a limited number of sun routes/ski routes etc., and the importance of the Channel Island business can never be underestimated. But, even if the runway extension happens, I firmly believe that the requirements for the low-cost/holiday/package business can be far better served at Bournemouth.
You do realise your facts and figures around conurbation size are exactly the reason for a low cost base to utilise SOU. The potential footfall is huge, add that to excellent transport links and you have a viable product to serve a selection of european financial districts and capital cities with a few sun routes added in. Londonís airports are at bursting point with over capacity, hence SOU want to get in on the act asap and leave BOH to pick up the bucket and spade brigade.
stewyb is offline  
Old 18th Apr 2019, 16:08
  #1542 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Daws Heath Essex
Posts: 385
Originally Posted by stewyb View Post


You do realise your facts and figures around conurbation size are exactly the reason for a low cost base to utilise SOU. The potential footfall is huge, add that to excellent transport links and you have a viable product to serve a selection of european financial districts and capital cities with a few sun routes added in. Londonís airports are at bursting point with over capacity, hence SOU want to get in on the act asap and leave BOH to pick up the bucket and spade brigade.
Following the logic of your argument why is it that a number of carriers have ceased operating or reduced their services from SOU in the last year?
Planespeaking is offline  
Old 18th Apr 2019, 16:38
  #1543 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the doghouse (usually)
Posts: 141
I think both sides in the debate over the last few comments have it right in their own ways.
Yes, the Southampton / Bournemouth / Winchester / Salisbury / Basingstoke / Portsmouth / Chichester area has a large catchment area and an airport smack bang in the middle of that area would no doubt be in a good position to attract passengers.
However, as has been rightly pointed out above, the airport in that exact position has been on a bit of a downward curve recently, which begs the question, if the location is so great, why is it not doing better?
My answer to that would be that the section of the market that it serves (UK domestic and short haul European turboprops) is in decline and has been for a while. So the airport feels that decline acutely as thatís most of its traffic.
It canít do medium or long haul due to its runway, and most people in the area are accustomed to immediately looking to Heathrow or Gatwick for their flights and holidays.
What it needs to do is move up to the next level of the market, namely Loco twins able to fly to holiday destinations. Once it can do that thereís a large market of regular travellers waiting for it who currently fly from elsewhere due to the extremely limited offering SOU currently has.
Business travellers will no doubt stay with their expenses-paid taxis to Heathrow or business parking there, and continue to fly BA for the benefit of their Executive Club accounts, so thereís no point chasing them.
Sun routes are where SOUís future lies I feel, thereís a huge demand in the local area that currently goes mostly unserved from local airports.
I think the new owners recognise this hence the masterplan.
The Nutts Mutts is offline  
Old 18th Apr 2019, 18:37
  #1544 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southampton
Posts: 62
Originally Posted by The Nutts Mutts View Post
I think the new owners recognise this hence the masterplan.
Does SOU now have new owners?
Dropoffcharge is offline  
Old 18th Apr 2019, 18:49
  #1545 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the doghouse (usually)
Posts: 141
Originally Posted by Dropoffcharge View Post
Does SOU now have new owners?
Well I say new, but AGS took over a couple of years ago. Theyíre looking to invest, whereas not much seemed to happen under BAA ownership.
The Nutts Mutts is offline  
Old 18th Apr 2019, 18:58
  #1546 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southampton
Posts: 62
Originally Posted by The Nutts Mutts View Post


Well I say new, but AGS took over a couple of years ago, maybe three.
So not really new at all then, just more exaggerations about SOU's expansion.
Dropoffcharge is offline  
Old 18th Apr 2019, 19:09
  #1547 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the doghouse (usually)
Posts: 141
I apologise if the way I wrote it offended you. It wasnít meant to be an exaggeration, the expansion plans were first announced shortly after they took over.
The Nutts Mutts is offline  
Old 18th Apr 2019, 23:36
  #1548 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South
Age: 39
Posts: 452
Originally Posted by stewyb View Post


You do realise your facts and figures around conurbation size are exactly the reason for a low cost base to utilise SOU. The potential footfall is huge, add that to excellent transport links and you have a viable product to serve a selection of european financial districts and capital cities with a few sun routes added in. Londonís airports are at bursting point with over capacity, hence SOU want to get in on the act asap and leave BOH to pick up the bucket and spade brigade.
Exactly, there is no debate to be had here. Southend is proof that low cost operators can utilise a short runway. There are a lot of posts on here that completely miss the mark (not helped by trolls from the BOH thread). Easy Jet and Ryanair have a constant stream of new metal arriving and the London airports are not likely to expand anytime soon. Jet2 are also looking for new bases. Exciting times ahead.
Rivet Joint is offline  
Old 18th Apr 2019, 23:53
  #1549 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South
Age: 39
Posts: 452
Originally Posted by Planespeaking View Post

Following the logic of your argument why is it that a number of carriers have ceased operating or reduced their services from SOU in the last year?
Surely it is pretty self-explanatory?

BMI: No more;

KLM: AMS is slot restricted and they had to drop routes based on feed to their international routes. No reflection on SOU as the AMS route saw circa 200k passengers last year;

Volotea: SOU was its only UK base so they are hardly known in the UK, they are also making the strange decision to re-fleet with the A319. Again no reflection on SOU;

Flylooloo: Did it ever even exist? No comment is needed surely;

Flybe: Has been run into the ground by a very poor CEO and a previous decision to replace their USP with some badly financed bottle rocket powered jets.

Stobart: Probably the strangest of the lot but they have returned their two ATR-500s and have not replaced them. Perhaps they had to drop routes accordingly.

SOU's likely future is a slimmed down Flybe operating domestic routes and the odd French destination, and a low cost operator flying to the usual places on the continent.
Rivet Joint is offline  
Old 19th Apr 2019, 05:34
  #1550 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 4,344
KLM: AMS is slot restricted and they had to drop routes based on feed to their international routes. No reflection on SOU as the AMS route saw circa 200k passengers last year;
KLM has many other UK destinations, but only SOU has been dropped?

Volotea: SOU was its only UK base so they are hardly known in the UK, they are also making the strange decision to re-fleet with the A319. Again no reflection on SOU;
VOE still have over a dozen B.717's in service, so they can't have been making bucket loads of money or they would have found a way. BTW, SOU wasn't a base and why is chosing the A319 strange rather than operating the almost unique B.717?

As has been discussed many times, airlines come and go at SOU and don't seem to stick - this must be a concern.
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 19th Apr 2019, 07:17
  #1551 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: London
Posts: 232
Vueling also tried Southampton to Barcelona
Air Berlin tried Southampton to Paderborn
Sharklet_321 is offline  
Old 19th Apr 2019, 13:54
  #1552 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 627
RivetJoint i'm interested to know, how many times a year do you fly and from which airports and for what purposes? (as long as you don't mind sharing)
shamrock7seal is offline  
Old 19th Apr 2019, 16:25
  #1553 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Southampton
Posts: 248
The airport seems to be bumping along at the bottom at the moment,lots of departing airlines ,but nothing new,unless something dramatic happens,then expect more of this.
The proposed runway works are way off,even if they are approved,it's to little to late,but that's SOU for you!
RW20 is offline  
Old 19th Apr 2019, 16:29
  #1554 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Southampton
Posts: 248
The airport is in decline!,many departed airlines,no new!
The proposed runway extension even if approved is not going to change the fact that SOU have missed the boat,it should have happened in 2005 Master plan!
RW20 is offline  
Old 19th Apr 2019, 23:36
  #1555 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 843
Nil desperandum. Apologies for SEN invading your airspace again. But less than 10 years ago a once proud airport had but one departure per week to Jersey. Now there's around 30 a day with more to come.

Don't ask me exactly how that's been achieved. But it does require a vision, a commitment that means there's no going back and a willingness to speculate to accumulate that blurs the boundaries between investment and gambling.
DC3 Dave is offline  
Old 24th Apr 2019, 17:17
  #1556 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: DORSET
Age: 62
Posts: 1
Flylolo is dead
no more
an ex programme

all flights canned from SOU S19 I read today- including the JSI - all canx

no plane no airline - never was one, was there
rog747 is offline  
Old 24th Apr 2019, 17:36
  #1557 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Daws Heath Essex
Posts: 385
Originally Posted by rog747 View Post
Flylolo is dead
no more
an ex programme

all flights canned from SOU S19 I read today- including the JSI - all canx

no plane no airline - never was one, was there
Well I'm very sorry but to quote a comedy programme many years ago "Specialist subject..'The bleedin' obvious!!.
Planespeaking is offline  
Old 24th Apr 2019, 17:46
  #1558 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the doghouse (usually)
Posts: 141
Has the whole company gone under or have they just dropped the SOU programme?
The Nutts Mutts is offline  
Old 24th Apr 2019, 17:52
  #1559 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: DORSET
Age: 62
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by The Nutts Mutts View Post
have they just dropped the SOU programme?
Yes in its entirety old chap
rog747 is offline  
Old 24th Apr 2019, 18:44
  #1560 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 609
Originally Posted by rog747 View Post
Flylolo is dead
no more
an ex programme

all flights canned from SOU S19 I read today- including the JSI - all canx

no plane no airline - never was one, was there
The apparent CEO of this company was vocal in posts on LinkedIn. The quality of his posts were somewhat lacking professionalism and he can be associated with the joker that is Jason Unsworth from Atmosphere whatever they are this week as they were often vocal on the same topics.
caaardiff is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.