Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Luton-9

Old 11th Dec 2019, 17:10
  #3181 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: southern spain
Posts: 1,759
Since when is Luton full, I thought there were a number of slots available in mid morning early afternoon plus TUI are operating fewer flights next summer. Sorry to be pedantic but it is three weekly to Pula (early morning) and Verona twice weekly.
compton3bravo is offline  
Old 11th Dec 2019, 17:42
  #3182 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 7,095
Since it hit 18 million passengers the airport would be in breach of its planning permission to go above it. In fact it needs to reduce flights as the trend is still increasing although the airport has its own criteria for ignoring some passenger types that are included in CAA figures.
LTNman is offline  
Old 11th Dec 2019, 17:47
  #3183 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: IoM & Luton
Age: 55
Posts: 1,705
Originally Posted by compton3bravo View Post
Since when is Luton full, I thought there were a number of slots available in mid morning early afternoon plus TUI are operating fewer flights next summer. Sorry to be pedantic but it is three weekly to Pula (early morning) and Verona twice weekly.
Full as far as extra pax on new routes, not slots. With EZY and WZZ upsizing equipment it will put more pressure on the 18M limt.
pabely is offline  
Old 11th Dec 2019, 20:24
  #3184 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: London Whipsnade Wildlife Park
Posts: 4,347
Grrr

Originally Posted by LTNman View Post
Since it hit 18 million passengers the airport would be in breach of its planning permission to go above it. In fact it needs to reduce flights as the trend is still increasing although the airport has its own criteria for ignoring some passenger types that are included in CAA figures.
All this development, were they in ignorance of the planning permission? Seems a lot of cash has been invested already into a sizable increase beyond the 18m! I assume that Poacher and Gamekeeper will strike a deal to grant permission, or is Central Govt now on the case?
Buster the Bear is offline  
Old 11th Dec 2019, 20:43
  #3185 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: IoM & Luton
Age: 55
Posts: 1,705
Subject to results tomorrow!?
pabely is offline  
Old 11th Dec 2019, 22:44
  #3186 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 7,095
Originally Posted by Buster the Bear View Post
All this development, were they in ignorance of the planning permission? Seems a lot of cash has been invested already into a sizable increase beyond the 18m! I assume that Poacher and Gamekeeper will strike a deal to grant permission, or is Central Govt now on the case?
In the short term the airport operator, who does the councils dirt work, has put in 2 planning applications. The first one is to breach the agreed noise limits while a second planning application is to add a further million passengers. The council planning committee that will consider the applications will ignore all complaints as the council has its fingers in the airports tills and will approve the applications without considering any objections.

When 19 million is reached the airport operator will put in another planning application for 20 million. This will carry on until 22.5 million is reached when the existing airport footprint can't take any more passengers which was meant to be the case with 18 million passengers. From the councils point of view the airport operator put in the application late which will have an impact on 2020 operations. This might have been down to who pays for what as the airport operator cuts back on funding new projects with the end of the franchise due in 2031.

This all becomes irrelevant if the DCO to government is approved for 32 million but then it might not get approved. With the council spending 460 million funding pre expansion projects the council might be left in deep sh!t

Last edited by LTNman; 12th Dec 2019 at 06:28.
LTNman is offline  
Old 12th Dec 2019, 10:08
  #3187 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: London Whipsnade Wildlife Park
Posts: 4,347
Never mind the towns Council tax payers can foot that bill should it occur.
Buster the Bear is offline  
Old 12th Dec 2019, 11:55
  #3188 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Luton
Posts: 327
Originally Posted by LTNman View Post
In the short term the airport operator, who does the councils dirt work, has put in 2 planning applications. The first one is to breach the agreed noise limits while a second planning application is to add a further million passengers. The council planning committee that will consider the applications will ignore all complaints as the council has its fingers in the airports tills and will approve the applications without considering any objections.

When 19 million is reached the airport operator will put in another planning application for 20 million. This will carry on until 22.5 million is reached when the existing airport footprint can't take any more passengers which was meant to be the case with 18 million passengers. From the councils point of view the airport operator put in the application late which will have an impact on 2020 operations. This might have been down to who pays for what as the airport operator cuts back on funding new projects with the end of the franchise due in 2031.

This all becomes irrelevant if the DCO to government is approved for 32 million but then it might not get approved. With the council spending 460 million funding pre expansion projects the council might be left in deep sh!t
LTNman Not everyone has objections to the growth of the airport! The airports most loyal customers are those from the St Albans area and the rest of Hertfordshire.
Lee Baker Street is offline  
Old 12th Dec 2019, 11:58
  #3189 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: southern spain
Posts: 1,759
As the 1960s title of a British comedy film 'Don't Panic Chaps' ways will be found to circumnavigate the 18 million cap. For instance we won't include all the private charter passengers anymore in the monthly passengers - only a small amount in the context of the passenger numbers - but it all helps. For instance Arsenal flying to/from Liege for a European cup tie and premier league teams flying to/from Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle et Al. Where there is a well there is a way.
compton3bravo is offline  
Old 12th Dec 2019, 15:42
  #3190 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 7,095
Originally Posted by Lee Baker Street View Post


LTNman Not everyone has objections to the growth of the airport! The airports most loyal customers are those from the St Albans area and the rest of Hertfordshire.
Agreed, but planning applications should go through a democratic process and not be nodded through without proper scrutiny by a council with a financial interest. Would Luton Borough Council support a planning application by say MAG if they 100% owned the airport and wanted to expand the airport onto one of the towns major parks and also at the same time would breach the newly adopted Council’s local plan?
LTNman is offline  
Old 13th Dec 2019, 17:41
  #3191 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: IoM & Luton
Age: 55
Posts: 1,705
Luton to Abu Dhabi next year?
pabely is offline  
Old 13th Dec 2019, 20:50
  #3192 (permalink)  
Paxing All Over The World
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hertfordshire, UK.
Age: 63
Posts: 8,986
As I went under the new Dart bridge today (twice) I realised why it seems incongrous to me. The'swoop' rises to meet the end of the runway but, as it appears to be designed to mimic the aircraft - it is wrong. If it were 180 degrees around, then the swoop would follow the trajectory of aircraft.

The overall height would be the same for avoidance but it would seem more correct. But then, it is only there to look 'pretty' and for PR images.

Last edited by PAXboy; 13th Dec 2019 at 21:01.
PAXboy is offline  
Old 13th Dec 2019, 21:22
  #3193 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 7,095
It's the right way round as it symbolises a late missed approach due to the crowded airspace above Luton if the runway is blocked by a waiting departure.

Think Future Luton, think 32 million Luton.
LTNman is offline  
Old 15th Dec 2019, 11:36
  #3194 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: No fixed abode
Posts: 696
Planning application in.
Buildings 94/95 on Percival Way to be demolished (at last).
Going to be re surfaced and used as staff parking.
Falcon666 is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2019, 16:21
  #3195 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 7,095
Construction update

Parkway interchange continues to receive its upper steelwork. In the background the Gateway Bridge can be seen. In the foreground two mysterious steel structures have appeared in recent weeks.


The embankment by taxiway Bravo has been removed.


The ring road is getting close to being rerouted away from taxiway Delta and will hug the second multi story. The right hand curve will link the service road. The former drop off zone is being used as a parking area for staff to park meet and greet cars


Comparing the artists impression with what has been built so far it looks like the higher roof support will have concrete slabbing around it. Note the lip on the concrete retaining wall for some sort of roof just outside the station area.




Last edited by LTNman; 16th Dec 2019 at 21:30.
LTNman is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2019, 13:17
  #3196 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: A place you do not know
Posts: 495
Thanks LTNman,

Good update as usual.

Wizz have not launched the Armenia flights yet, however it might not be too long as TUI have just sold/traded some slots with Wizz.

https://en.armlink.am/wizz-air-to-ca...s-flights.html

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/up...TO-W9-SWAP.pdf
Boeing737-8 is online now  
Old 17th Dec 2019, 23:51
  #3197 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 35,000ft
Posts: 739
Originally Posted by Boeing737-8 View Post
Wizz have not launched the Armenia flights yet, however it might not be too long as TUI have just sold/traded some slots with Wizz.
Some?

17 slot pairs by all accounts. That sounds to me like a whole based unit?

Im not good with those charts, but Ill assume that was the second based unit and not the sole based unit planned?
pamann is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2019, 08:38
  #3198 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 7,095
AS I said before but with no evidence apart from an insider at TUI HQ, he has told me they are planning to pull their LTN base. Seeing the base has been in decline for years it seems a likely outcome which will be painful for those staff members based at LTN.

LTNman is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2019, 10:38
  #3199 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: southern spain
Posts: 1,759
My best guess for what it's worth is that Wizz have taken the slots of one of the two based TUI aircraft of summer 2019, which leaves just one based for summer 2020 plus a few flights on W pattern which gives Wizz to base another aircraft at the airport making 10.
compton3bravo is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2019, 14:19
  #3200 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hyperspace
Posts: 612
The bulk of the TUI slots traded with Wizz are for peak school holiday period flights as operated last Summer with a based 737. The basic plan for Summer 2020 has been for a second aircraft to be based Mon-Thurs during most of the Summer season (Fri-Sun based elsewhere) No doubt TUI are still fine-tuning the program so it remains to be seen what actually happens and the MAX grounding may well be a factor here....

Do these slots actually have monetary value?

Last edited by boeing_eng; 18th Dec 2019 at 17:30.
boeing_eng is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.