PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar 77W at MIA
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2015, 03:04
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do wonder whether the crew was really unaware of the incident until hours later. The damage to the approach lights was significant – would no-one have noticed an unusual sound? Dare I wonder whether the crew might conceivably have said to each other, we seem to be in one piece, no indications, let's carry on and avoid the hassle of going back (and we didn't say that, so don't pull the CVR breaker)? No, no, of course not ...
I'm reminded of the time Dynasty took off on a taxiway at ANC with an A340 and continued on to TPE. Surely they must have figured something was wrong even though there was little or no damage as they brushed a snow berm at the upwind end of the taxiway. Or, maybe not?

A discussion of this ANC incident from the PPRuNe archives:

China Airlines taxi-way take-off! [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums

Like the QR crew in MIA, CI was very fortunate to avoid disaster.

This article compares the China Airlines mistake with the SQ wrong turn at TPE, which was deadly, in a table at the end:

Aviation Today :: China Airlines' Takeoff Shows Breakdown in Situational Awareness

Unlike CI and SQ, QR at MIA knew where they were but it was the wrong place to turn onto the runway for a heavyweight takeoff.

Did the QR crew know something was wrong on climbout and chose to face the music back in Doha instead of reporting it to MIA departure? I don't claim to know.

I'm reminded of a saying from the 89th Airlift Wing, the outfit that operates Air Force One: 'You are allowed one mistake, and they won't fire you until you get back from the trip.'