PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which is the best helicopter for training?
Old 1st Jan 2014, 22:49
Bladecrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to Rotorheads Charlie9901!

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/253...ter-pilot.html

I would suggest you read the sticky above to begin with if you haven't already done so, but to answer your question, you don't have to learn to fly in a Robinson, you could learn in any single engine helicopter, but it is more economical to learn in a smaller piston engine helicopter than a larger turbine engine machine like the ones you have mentioned.

However if cost is not a factor then in theory you could learn to fly in a turbine, I know a guy who did his entire PPL(H) on a Bell 206, but he is a very experienced airline pilot in his day job so found it fairly easy.

Regarding your choice of helicopters, an EC120 would be a good personal helicopter for private use in my opinion, however an EC130 would be bigger and more expensive to run. The Gazelle is a different kettle of fish as there are few civilian versions about, and ex-mil versions have certain restrictions regarding use and carrying passengers etc. In recent years some privately owned Gazelles have come to grief in the hands of thier owners so that would be worth doing some research on first.

Good luck with your adventure!

BC