PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - african VFR charts
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2011, 15:49
V1... Ooops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bertos:

A couple of weeks ago, I ferried a small twin (turbine powered) from Canada to the Seychelles, and part of my route took me from Switzerland to Mombasa - about the same route that you are planning.

Some suggestions for you:

1) Don't attempt the trip VFR. It's too much of a headache. File IFR, even if it is a nice sunny day. That way, someone else will always be responsible for keeping you out of the 'no-go' areas.

2) Try to avoid Egypt if you can. It is very expensive, and as another forum member pointed out earlier, they tend to force you to fly the minimum enroute altitude (MEA) no matter what. Even if it is a clear blue sky and the MOCA is 2,000 feet, they won't let you fly under 11,000 feet...

3) Perhaps investigate going down the Saudi side of the Red Sea. You will need fewer overflight permits (only Saudi, instead of Sudan, Eretria, Ethiopia, etc.).

For further information, see the recent post I made here in this forum entitled New Series 400 Twin Otter at HKNW Wednesday night. There is also another related discussion of routes between the Med and Kenya at this recent post: Port Sudan and Asmara .

Michael