PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Job Front - Note to the Unions, Chief Pilots, Agencies and Fellow Pilots
Old 21st Dec 2009, 03:07
Dreamshiner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the demise of another UK airline Globespan last week I feel compelled to reopen this thread. To be honest I went on vacation after my last post and kinda forgot all about it (to my peril).

Fellow Aviators, lend me your eyes, for I will share the following with you, for some it may be old news, it may be conjecture, it may be bollocks, however it will make you think, ponder and hopefully investigate if nothing else. If my facts are incorrect I have no issue with editing this post to ensure the record is correct (in nice big red letters).

It will come as no surprise I feel BALPA are letting those down at the start of their career. And now I feel those well into their own.

Charging £60-odd to hold a conference at LHR, invited Etihad and Emirates to give a talk to newly qualified pilots and tell them "when you get 4,000 hours drop us a line", highlights for me how out of touch they are.

There are a few things though I have read on other threads on PPRuNe that I feel need addressing:

The SmartLynx thread for one - http://www.pprune.org/terms-endearme...-loud-lol.html - BALPA have no jurisdiction so can't be bashed on this one however they could drop a line to their Latvian sister union but the CAA should definetly be all over this. What is the point in licences and attaining them, the costs incurred and even conversions if the rules are bent? I don't know much about this particular case however from what I have read so far its not pretty reading. Does anyone know if something similar goes on in the US, Aus with JAA pilots?

TCX - Have a reciprocal agreement with Transair in Canada, as it stood, Thomas Cook send pilots over in UK low season (winter) and get Canadian pilots in summer (Canadian low season). I was meant to be like for like, i.e. 10 UK pilots = 10 Canadians. 8 UK pilots there this year, TCX looking to bring 30 in summer 2010. 7 months line flying for 22 UK based/nationals has surely to be championed by the union? Are these figures and details correct?

Easyjet - http://www.pprune.org/terms-endearme...er-2010-a.html - Numerous SFO's ready/waiting on upgrade, agency captains being brought in for summer. Yuk yuk yukkkkkk

Easyjet-Oxford - http://www.pprune.org/terms-endearme...n-academy.html -
Even more outrageous when you read above. Scheme to buy a TR. Granted if you wanted to market such a scheme that school would be first choice by a country mile, however doesn't justify it.

Let me also clear up some thing before moving on:

To CEJM/StressFree - This is a rumour network/discussion website. I started this thread to convey my observations, throw out some hypothesis and see how it went. Maybe it would open a few eyes, raise or furrow a few eyebrows or even throw some back. I never claimed to be all knowing or omnipotent, however feel free to erect a temple, furnish it with a gold statue of my likeness (at least 20ft tall please) and worship my wisdom. Last time you were in the pub did you say, "bloody recession, have had to tighten the belt ..... ", then outline your fiscal rescue package in detail to your drinking buddies.

L'Aviateur - Never advocated my US initial licence, it worked for me financially, personally and timescale-wise. I would have happily trained in the UK if I got a 35-50% discount voucher to use every time I arrived at my local flight school and flown VFR 320 days a year.

Retire2015 - I would fly ET's bicycle as a cruise pilot let alone a twin otter. I started this thread as I was exasperated at what I perceived in the industry I entered 5 years ago. I have called in every favour, pursued jobs in Jebrovia to Timbuktu flying anything from a crop duster up. I value your comments and thank you however please trust me there is not one thing you mention I haven't pursued already I would be letting myself down and the £100,000 it cost me to attain my licences.

CarltonBrowne the FO - I can't justify a FI rating now when I owe money and am not guaranteed regular income. When I opted for my jet rating it was approximately £10k more expensive, the previous course all got offers 2 weeks before their sims finished and I could pay the initial outlay off and still be £20k better off 1 year later ..... ahh hindsight. I do agree though my scan has faded very quickly.

Denti - I was advised by the recruitment consultancy that the VC had locked the door on foreigners being hired under pressure from a group in another airline. I can't verify if it was true or not, it was what I was told and therefore what I wrote. If you wish to PM me I will happily tell your when, the employer and agency and the politics surrounding it.

Clanger32 - This is the sort of reply I was hoping to stimulate. I agree with you on almost every point, others your raised made me think and alter my perception so thank you.

Landflap - Sir, I doff my cap to your experience, wisdom and kind words.

Last edited by Dreamshiner; 21st Dec 2009 at 05:34.