PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arrogant posters
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2008, 00:13
G SXTY

Supercharged PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like most professional pilots, I'm more than happy to answer questions from passengers and enthusiasts. I love it when people take an interest in my job and how I do it. Unfortunately however, a few people (and it is only a few) seem unable to accept the answers we give them. It can get a little wearing when we take the time to explain a concept or procedure, only to be cross-examined by someone who clearly has very little knowledge of the subject matter. Who knows, maybe some people just like to argue, but this thread is a 5 star gold-plated example:

http://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf...-landings.html

The original poster wanted to know why Ryanair landings were harder than other airlines'. Several of us tried to explain that they are not, and any perceived hardness is due to the undercarriage design of the 737-800. The OP wouldn't have it. Note the same questions being asked over and over again, and note also the gradually rising level of frustration as people without any technical or operational qualifications persist in arguing the toss. Possession an airline gold card or 1,000hrs in MS Flightsim does not qualify one as an authority on how to land an airliner.

At the end of the day, this is a professional pilots' website, founded by a professional pilot for the benefit of other professional pilots and wannabes. Pax and enthusiasts are welcomed, and generally treated with patience and courtesy, but in return I would expect the courtesy of being listened to when I answer a question. If I'm not extended that courtesy, then - depending on the time of day, the state of my roster and the amount of red wine I've consumed - I may get a little ratty. I don't think I'm arrogant, just human.