PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Mail & Duty Hours
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2019, 13:14
Webby737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by parkfell
I have a vague recollection that BA had a performance related scheme ( fair & equitable ) many moons ago, which encouraged the workers.

Probably around 1990, BA paid a bonus of one week's pay for a company profit exceeding £50m, and additional weeks pay for each £50m exceeding the base figure of £50m.
That then changed with a minimum base figure of £350m. What happened after that scheme, I know not.

What the beancounters failed to appreciate is that the employees are the company's biggest asset. Due to how financial accounts are prepared, their value does not appear on the balance sheet. If the company fails to recognise the importance of goodwill and people going that extra mile to accomplish the task, get new management on board to motivate the troops.
I was in BA around that time (92 - 93?) and I think we got an extra weeks wages in the summer for the profit share and another weeks wages around Christmas.
The BA engineers I've bumped into since generally don't seem to be a happy bunch, it certainly appears that their T & Cs have got worse over the years.