PPRuNe Forums


South Asia and the Far East News and views on the fast growing and changing aviation scene on the planet.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th Aug 2017, 23:56   #1401 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 12S077W
Posts: 55
Agree to disagree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia1166 View Post
I only have 3 4 sector days this month, 3 overnight stays, 2 in dad and 1 in cxr. No night flights, 60 hours flying.

Are you keeping a record of your duty time? 4 sector days really ramp it up,and you will exceed the 4 week limit, not the 7 day one.

In response to your 350 reasoning, I save almost all my salary and dont need to be buying 10 euro coffee in paris, sitting around on my own all day, or in some bar talking to pilots, same for Narita thanks. Seen it once, dont need to see it again, and i certainly dont want to sit in the front of an airplane for 5 excruitiating hours in the dark, or worse 12 hours. I actually like take off and landing as its interesting. And i get to chat to people on the ground a bit, and make a cup of tea.

Also lots of free time in the gym of my choice, not some hotel gym. Lovely.

You will need to get assesed and signed off by a UK ATO for your 350 rating. Good luck as not many operators in the uk. You will have to pay a premium for a mainline tre i suspect for check also. Which will need to be a UK ATO approved checker. Thats from my mate in the bee hive. Do your own research.

And why would you keep your A 320 type rating on your home licence while flying the 350 on your VN one. Puts you right up,the creek should you suddenly become unemployed. You need currency.

My mates quote good luck, not many 350 operators here.

Which is my point i guess.
Mate; I hate to disagree, but I understand that the 330 and 350 are essentially now the same license with EASA:

https://www.easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/20140917%20A350%20Letter%20of%20Acceptance.pdf

So, I have a feeling that once you are able to get the A350 TR on your license a whole world of operators flying the A330 and in the future A330Neo's open up; and yes, in most companies, bigger means better (pay, time off, destinations, treatment)... but as you said, its everyone's personal choice... which opens up another can of worms: how will Brexit affect EASA

10 Euro Coffee? With a view of the Eifel Tower, right? 😆 I might get myself into tge smuggling business as the cabin crew is; geez!
I used to love T/O's and landings, too, and especially hand-flying! What I liked even more is tutoring amd teaching young and aspiring First Officers. But, since here the levels of aeronautical incompetence have to be protected and good stick and rudder skills are just considered "show-off-skills", A321 Fleet SOP now states that the autopilot is to remain connected until landing configuration is set! Yeah, with the auto-trim operating, those configuration changes seem to be extremely hazardous!
So, yeah, I actually prefer not to anymore, I compensate my need for this kind of adrenalin rush on my vacation time flying Extra 300's at home!

But there is a good point you are making: here in VNA they use that bird to fly only to Da Nang, Hanoi, Tokio and Paris, thats all, or am I missing anything? 🙄

Last edited by EagleA25; 11th Aug 2017 at 00:12. Reason: More stuff...
EagleA25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2017, 13:49   #1402 (permalink)
ZFT
N4790P
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Asia
Age: 67
Posts: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleA25 View Post
Mate; I hate to disagree, but I understand that the 330 and 350 are essentially now the same license with EASA:

https://www.easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/20140917%20A350%20Letter%20of%20Acceptance.pdf

So, I have a feeling that once you are able to get the A350 TR on your license a whole world of operators flying the A330 and in the future A330Neo's open up; and yes, in most companies, bigger means better (pay, time off, destinations, treatment)... but as you said, its everyone's personal choice... which opens up another can of worms: how will Brexit affect EASA

10 Euro Coffee? With a view of the Eifel Tower, right? 😆 I might get myself into tge smuggling business as the cabin crew is; geez!
I used to love T/O's and landings, too, and especially hand-flying! What I liked even more is tutoring amd teaching young and aspiring First Officers. But, since here the levels of aeronautical incompetence have to be protected and good stick and rudder skills are just considered "show-off-skills", A321 Fleet SOP now states that the autopilot is to remain connected until landing configuration is set! Yeah, with the auto-trim operating, those configuration changes seem to be extremely hazardous!
So, yeah, I actually prefer not to anymore, I compensate my need for this kind of adrenalin rush on my vacation time flying Extra 300's at home!

But there is a good point you are making: here in VNA they use that bird to fly only to Da Nang, Hanoi, Tokio and Paris, thats all, or am I missing anything? 🙄
Brexit has no impact on EASA. May well have significant implications for UK CAA downstream
ZFT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2017, 14:13   #1403 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 12S077W
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFT View Post
Brexit has no impact on EASA. May well have significant implications for UK CAA downstream
Sweet! 👍 Thanks for the info!
EagleA25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2017, 17:44   #1404 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Above the Transition Level
Posts: 158
Just for clarification in EASA world you can do the Skills Test for either 330 or 350 (whichever you are current on). Exactly the same as 777/787. You get the other stamped on the same line in all EASA states I am aware of. True there are some differences between state but the jist is meet the 500hr req and do a Skill Test with an EASA TRE in an approved sim.
UK CAA has just released a relevent Information Notice stating they want a license verification by the 3rd country CAA before applying for this service. (effective 1st July 2017). Other states just go with the basics and don't ask any questions. Harmonisation
On the other note deff worth keeping the 320rating ticking over as a backup.
ElitePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2017, 23:10   #1405 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MELUN
Age: 51
Posts: 3
Vietnam airline interview

Hi everybody,

Does anybody Have some details information about Vietnam airline interview, written test and simulator ?
Thanks
GAVARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Aug 2017, 08:36   #1406 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 12S077W
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVARD View Post
Hi everybody,

Does anybody Have some details information about Vietnam airline interview, written test and simulator ?
Thanks
Gavard;
I went through the process a year and a half ago, its VERY simple; study the smartcockpit systems of the plane you are applying for, speak kindly and know your normal, basic abnormal and supplementary procedures.
The one-on-one interview is a short and basic systems knowledge Q&A, and an even more basic "hi, who are you?"; funny thing, if you don't give them a reason to, you'll probably never see any of the managers of the company ever again...
In the sim you might get some basic failures and dispatch/startup problems; definetly one engine failure, perhaps inextinguishable fire. Use basic airman and checklist discipline and you'll do fine.
Hope thos helps; Good luck!
EagleA25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Aug 2017, 05:21   #1407 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Hanoi
Posts: 14
Stay away

Guys, i was in the office today, because i am doing my recurrent sim, and i saw a lot of brand new local cadets. I was talking with oke of them, and he told me that they are 500 in total for this year. So, 500 cadets plus 250 who will be relased shortly, will be around 750 new pilots in the company. The local instructor, who is my friend, told me that these cadets will give the upgrade to the actual local FO's ( around 200 with nearly 5000 hours ) within the next 1 or 2 years, so good bye to the expat captains after this time. The agencies are doing fake promises to the pilots that they need for this short period of time, but then they will say, sorry... You have 60 days and ur contract will be finished. So guys, choose another option if u are thinking about future in this company. All this info was just confirmed again for some other high position person in the office this morning. If you want to join, is up to you, but this is the real thing that nobody will tell you, and the real thing that many others they just don't want to see. Good luck!!
Yesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Aug 2017, 05:23   #1408 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Hanoi
Posts: 14
Stay away

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVARD View Post
Hi everybody,

Does anybody Have some details information about Vietnam airline interview, written test and simulator ?
Thanks
My friend, better find another better option. VNA is not for expat anymore. Good luck!!
Yesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2017, 07:41   #1409 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: spain
Posts: 33
Hi guys

Do any of u know if there are any Vietnamese airlines hiring DECs for A330 ?

Would you also happen to know what are the rosterings like and also the Econ. Cond. ?

Looking to move to Asia and that I've been told is Avery good place to start looking around

Thx
BESTGLIDESPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2017, 08:53   #1410 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ziltoidia... indeed'd.
Posts: 124
Only Vietnam Airlines with 330 in the country.

You may approach VJ and Pacific for DEC A320 if you hold a current 320 TR and they are short enough to give you an extended line training. Money is good if you work hard, really hard for it.

330 better look Hong Kong Airlines.

Mucha suerte.
iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2017, 09:36   #1411 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 68
Anyone got info on TRE positions in Vietnam Airlines?
fivecandles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2017, 07:47   #1412 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Hanoi
Posts: 14
Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecandles View Post
Anyone got info on TRE positions in Vietnam Airlines?

Yes, if you dare to join this company, first you should be really brave, and second, don't planify to stay here more than 2-3 years maximum. You will be fired, same as all other expat FO's, Captains, LTC, TRI and TRE. They are recruiting a lot of locals LTC, TRI and TRE now. Why? You can guess, the salary of a local TRE is $5000 vs 14-15 thousand of an expat. The thing is that now they need to cover the huge hole they have, because many captains left the company already after knowing these plans, and as they didn't expect that this could happen, now they have a huge problem, and they need everything... Good luck!!
Yesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2017, 08:46   #1413 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 68
Thanks for the warning - appreciate it
fivecandles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2017, 10:42   #1414 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Hanoi
Posts: 14
We help each other

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecandles View Post
Thanks for the warning - appreciate it
Its ok fivecandels, finally we are here to help each other and try to share our experiences. The agencies are promising everything, but then, when vna says that they don't need you anymore, they will just let you know with 60 days notice. Is the way as they work, and is written in the contract. No warranties for pilots, just protection for the company and the agency. As we know that all these things are happening, and the plans of vna were revealed, so i think is more than easy to choose well, specially if you are planning for a long time contract. If don't, then maybe could be a good chance, but keep in mind that they could finish your contract at any time, because the fact is that they could be many things, but not serious at all. With these considerations, i think that there are many better options than vna in Asia. Good luck!!
Yesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2017, 11:14   #1415 (permalink)


Probationary PPRuNer
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Adelaïde
Posts: 1
I have something to say to people interested to join Vietnam airlines,this airline is full of bullshit,liers and incompétent.They fire you 1 time every year,depends on their moods and how much you willing to pay to stay here,and sometime this is not enough.Moreover,if you want to join such airline,you have to know that the agencies will not support you at all and let you in very big trouble,expecially with no license revalidation and no financial compensation.so good luck,and stay very far away for this bunch of clowns.
Golgoth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2017, 10:49   #1416 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecandles View Post
Anyone got info on TRE positions in Vietnam Airlines?

Sure , what do you want to know?
ia1166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2017, 10:52   #1417 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgoth1 View Post
I have something to say to people interested to join Vietnam airlines,this airline is full of bullshit,liers and incompétent.They fire you 1 time every year,depends on their moods and how much you willing to pay to stay here,and sometime this is not enough.Moreover,if you want to join such airline,you have to know that the agencies will not support you at all and let you in very big trouble,expecially with no license revalidation and no financial compensation.so good luck,and stay very far away for this bunch of clowns.
Nice, but in 14 years here, i would disagree with most of what you say. If not all in fact.

People have been fired for lots of things, mostly i would say are justified. If you want to bring up individual cases please be more specific.
ia1166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2017, 10:53   #1418 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesse View Post
Yes, if you dare to join this company, first you should be really brave, and second, don't planify to stay here more than 2-3 years maximum. You will be fired, same as all other expat FO's, Captains, LTC, TRI and TRE. They are recruiting a lot of locals LTC, TRI and TRE now. Why? You can guess, the salary of a local TRE is $5000 vs 14-15 thousand of an expat. The thing is that now they need to cover the huge hole they have, because many captains left the company already after knowing these plans, and as they didn't expect that this could happen, now they have a huge problem, and they need everything... Good luck!!
Thanks, i will resign tomorrow on your advice.....

The truth of contract work is you are temporary. You are only as good as your last pay check. The expats may be thinned out gradually, and if and when this happens, you can make your own assesment on time and risk management. Your ranting is just tiresome, and a bit insulting as i and most of the guys here are fully aware of what being a contractor means. I will be here until i feel its time to go.
ia1166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2017, 11:02   #1419 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecandles View Post
Thanks for the warning - appreciate it
I have been here as a tre for 14 years. Just cruising along.

Talk to the horses mouth, not the back end. If you get my drift.
ia1166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2017, 12:16   #1420 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Hanoi
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ia1166 View Post
I have been here as a tre for 14 years. Just cruising along.

Talk to the horses mouth, not the back end. If you get my drift.

I am wondering how much is paying VNA for your words here. I could demonstrate that, if you are flying A321, you will be fired within 2 years, maybe earlier. The VNA from 14 years ago, is not the same VNA of today. Try to help your colleagues who are trying to make the biggest mistake of their lives, thinking that VNA still the same than 14 years ago. And all cases, not only one, starting from the SFO, were unfair and with no reasons. Just 60 days notice after 1,5 years working ( with the famous 5 years contract ). So they do what they want, when they want. If you want to encourage some colleague to come to this place with these future expectations, i think you are blind, or having an extra pay to clean the dirty clothes of your beloved company. About me, yes, as Captain i have same options than you, but i still have time, so i am looking for the best option, and i have a few already, so within one year or just a few days-months i will be far away from this place. Good luck for you, with your point of view, you will need.
Yesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 23:27.


© 1996-2012 The Professional Pilots Rumour Network

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1