Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > ATC Issues
Reload this Page >

Student ATC Application II

Wikiposts
Search
ATC Issues A place where pilots may enter the 'lions den' that is Air Traffic Control in complete safety and find out the answers to all those obscure topics which you always wanted to know the answer to but were afraid to ask.

Student ATC Application II

Search this Thread

Old 23rd Sep 2001, 18:47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Student ATC Application II

Could someone tell me if NATS recruitment will discriminate at all when applying for the second time for Student ATC post? I went throught the aptitude tests last December and had the final interview stage at Prestwick the following month. Having passed the initial aptitude tests, and the technical interview and computer tests at the final stage I was dismayed to learn my application was unsuccessful because I didn't meet the required standard at the personnel interview. I've had a very tough time trying to get any kind of feedback from Kemble Street and the woman who conducted my personnel interview. It seems that it was the personnel interviewer who had the final say on my application, regardless of my performance in all the job-related tests. I have since been informed that I am required to apply again from scratch and have sent my completed application form to NATS recruitment. I would be interested to hear from anyone with similar experiences whilst dealing with NATS and/or applying for student ATC positions.
Old 23rd Sep 2001, 19:42

Thumbs up

Thanks for your post James. It is frustrating to have to go through the whole process but, as you said, I think it was a question of commitment. From the feedback I did receive after the interview, that was the only negative point I was given to say my application was unsuccessful. Having just came back from a year travelling Australia when I applied, I didn't make it clear to the personnel interviewer that travelling was out of my system and that a career in ATC was my priority. Anyway, you have given me hope for my second application as I didn't know if there were any applicants who failed first time and then successful at the second time of asking. I would still be interested to hear from anyone else about the Student ATC selection process.
Old 24th Sep 2001, 03:39

man-alive

On my course there were about half that got through after their second interview, and from what I know, this is about average. One or two get through on their third attempt too. I'm suprised you got no real feedback, when I failed my first attempt, I wrote back asking for reasons why I failed (I too messed up the Personnel one) and asked for pointers to succeed next time. I got a great response and took it all on board, now being valid at Latcc. They do quiz you about the last try, but as long as you know why you failed, and can say why this time you are improved, it is much easier as the rest of the questions are much the same.

One of the other problems I think I had was my age, I was bang on 18 on the first application. I waited 3 years before trying again to obtain 'life experience' as suggested in my feedback. One year behind a bar and 2 at Uni did the trick. I would have thought your travelling trip would have been a good thing, showing independance to do it, and being active (ie not sitting around in your spare time watching the telly). However if you came across as being a frequent traveller, then this would become a negative point, because you will never get the time off once on-board.

Hope this helps, if you wanna know more, e-mail me by dinging on the icon in the top line of the post, and good luck....

5mb
Old 24th Sep 2001, 04:24

ManAlive, if you were going for certain other aviation jobs.. like an airline cadetship .. I'd suggest that part of the problem might be that your spelling and grammar are way too good.
But ATC........ hmmmmmmmmm.......
Still, might be an idea to tone it down. They might be scared that your numeracy equals your literacy. And then where would the world order be..?