Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies)
Reload this Page >

Oh My God - I have done it -- and I am scared

Wikiposts
Search
Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Search this Thread

Old 3rd Apr 2002, 06:31

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Well it has now been a year since i gained my PPL. Since then I managed to get 90 hours TT and a night rating - wasn't easy by perseverence made it happen.

Since Sept 11th I have been following the news of the industry and been reading many useful and some not to useful posts on here about the future. It has been depressing at times with the realisation despite hard work and enthusiasm, actually reaching the RHS FO position is going to be very difficult indeed.

I spent the day filling in the entrance revision pack for London Guildhall University, pondering on all that maths and physics i learnt at school and convinced myself I would never use again in my life. I sent the form in not being hopeful atall.
Well i got the acceptance letter for the ATPL full time course starting in September.

It took a lot of thinking, a few sleepless nights, but I went for it, sent up the £300 deposit and when received the confirmation letter, did the scariest thing i have ever done - handed in my notice at work. The thought of leaving a job, although not highly paid, to go away and study into an industry that is so difficult to gain a foothold had affected everything. My girlfriend has left me, she wanted the new house and security now, not in 5 years so she thought it best to go it alone - this in itself was difficult, but as my flying instructor said, "Your job is for life, your partner may not be", words of comfort ina sense i guess.

Well I have now secured my place, got to go to the bank to see if i can borrow the money for the rest of the CPL, (FI), IR and hour building.

Despite all this, I am a firm believer that if you want something bad enough, you will always get it. It will be difficult for a few years until things change back round, but i want to be in the position to be ready rather than "I Wish I had done that".
I read many people who doubt their ability and personal worth when it comes to flying or a flying career.
I reckon as long as you have passed a class one medical - go for it, if you don't try you will never suceed.

If anyone else has been accepted onto the September course at LGU and want to get in contact - email me

Good Luck
Spitfire

Last edited by spitfire747; 3rd Apr 2002 at 07:14.
Old 3rd Apr 2002, 07:36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Spitfire,

I found your post a refreshing read this morning, it is nice to know there are others with a similar train of thought. I agree fully with the positive thinking, yes getting through the course will be tough and yes getting that job will be tough but the good things in life never come easy .

I am in a similar position to you, however, not quite as advanced. I have a PPL with around 93 hours TT, however I do not have my night or IMC. I am off to the US next month to revalidate my PPL (I let it lapse ), and complete the IMC and night.

I am thinking of going to London Guild Hall Uni, I would be interested in your thoughts on the place. I have downloaded the information they provide on the net and I have heard some positive things said about the establishment. What is the damage by the way, and do the prices include on site board?

Don't worry about the lack of job, I did the same thing, and am convinced that it will be the best thing I ever did!!

Good luck with your ATPL studies, I have statred doing some pre-requisite study the ATPL's and I hope you like things like AC theory, electromagnetic induction and all that stuff, personally it does my head in . I wish I had not thrown all my Aerospace Eng college notes away now, oops
Old 3rd Apr 2002, 10:08

Spitfire747,

Your story sounds very familiar to me. Several years ago I was in the same position as you (I even went to Guildhall). I'm now in the rhs of an A320 - It was very difficult at times, but if you want it bad enough some how you will get it.

All the very best of luck.
Old 3rd Apr 2002, 10:59

Hi Spitfire747

Know what you mean about the scary bit. I left my job a few months ago after getting my PPL and it all seemed pretty daunting at the time.

I'm also enrolled on the Sept course at LGU so will see you there!

All the best
Old 3rd Apr 2002, 11:04

Hey s747,

Im about to leave my job in 8 days!

Cant wait......I borrowed 15K and have got the rest saved up!

Ive got a PPL with 100hrs and start full time ATPLs the week after next!

Maybe blind hope will get us through........but one thing is for sure, its gonna be the best money ive ever spent and believe me, im gonna love every second of it!(well maybe not the exams)
Old 3rd Apr 2002, 11:50

What an inspiring post ...... if I knew where to get the cash from i'd follow. I'm PPL, 80TT and a recent Night Rating and don't want to be one of those "I wish i'd done that."

The reality is that everyone wants to do a job they'll love. If you find a job you love, you'll never work again. All the best to you.

AF
Old 3rd Apr 2002, 12:05

Received 158 Likes on 60 Posts
Thumbs up

Well done Spit. Most commercial pilots have been there. I remember giving up my job in 1999 and its an unnerving time. You'll come good I know it.

Keep smiling, the good times are comin'...

Old 3rd Apr 2002, 12:55

Smile

A rather helpful post I thought!!

Up until now, I have been stuck in that position of should I, shouldn’t I. I think that you have given me that little bit of incentive to get off of my backside and do something with my life instead of waiting for it all to come to me on a plate
Old 3rd Apr 2002, 13:07

Think I have virtually secured my first full time permanent job since leaving Uni, things not only been a nightmare for aviation industry, with all those redundancies out there it has been tough for recent Grads.

Anyway am envious as will now be desperately saving up after paying off student loans to start from scratch to fulfill dreams, and obviously I hope to faced with the same concerns in the not so distant future (I hope )

Best of luck to all of those that have made the big jump, enjoy it and work hard . I totally agree with the sentiment that it is definitely something that you don't want to look back upon in forty years time and say "Only if I had followed my heart"

Sagey
Old 3rd Apr 2002, 13:16

Why do it if it's not fun?

Spitfire,

You and others are more brave than me - good luck to all of you! I'm in a very similar position, but decided work part-time towards the ATPL while still keeping my current job to pay the bills. A little over a month into the distance-learning, I'm sitting at work, bored out of my mind, wishing I had the finances to just quit the job and get the ATPL sorted asap!

It's a long road, but we'll all make it in the end, as long as it's what we want to do.

FFF
------------
Old 3rd Apr 2002, 17:12

easondown, maximum respect, it is a post like that, that keeps a smile on my face from ear to ear.

RHS on the old A320 eh? Sounds fantastic, next time I am slamming my head against a brick wall because electrics has come back to haunt me on the ATPL course, I will think about your post!

Just out of interest, what is the feeling like, when you walk down the jet way, with your stripes and your pilot case, approaching a big shiny jet remembering back to when you were stuck underneath a clapped out Cessna trying the drain the engine fuel drain? WWW, you could probably answer that one .

Last edited by CAT3C AUTOLAND; 3rd Apr 2002 at 17:17.
Old 3rd Apr 2002, 17:17

cat3c,

Let me tell you, the feeling you get is better than sexxxxxxxxxx....
Old 3rd Apr 2002, 17:22

Thumbs up

easondown,

I am now laughing my ass off .

The feeling I get when I am near a big shiny jet is better than sex, jesus christ it looks as if I am in for a real treat, maybe even a heart attack , if I am successful of course.

Happy side sticks!!
Old 3rd Apr 2002, 19:57
liquidhockey

That was an enjoyable post to read i must say.

Just to put forward my opinion... if your girlfriend couldn't see what it meant to you and got up and left then you were better off without her.

Good luck in the future mate

Keep the faith.

Yours
Dave

Old 3rd Apr 2002, 22:23

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
stick with it coz if u want it bad enough you will get it . i was in the same position a few years ago and im now in the rhs of a 737 getting paid great money for doing something i love ( just dont tell my employer)
Old 3rd Apr 2002, 23:41
bgd

Hi Spit
Just be yourself and do what 90% of us did.Pay the maney bite the bullet and wait to see that sun raising as you rotate 50000kgs of iron towards some nice coastline town with nice espresso.good luck!May I say nice two esspresos?
Old 4th Apr 2002, 00:47

Thumbs up Wow!

Wow you guys are insprirational - all of you! I have just about given up on flying after a painful break-up with my ex (a rotor blader) and I am so tired of feeling like I have nothing to look forward to anymore...I'm almost tempted to fly tonight! I've missed it soooo much that the ache is like a double whammy!
Thanks for being so dedicated and discussing it.
Stay safe and close to heaven.
Old 4th Apr 2002, 07:17

Hello everyone,

Good move Spit, probably a very hard step to make but certainly one you will never regret (or so I hope).

I'm also stuck behind a computer right now making good money from a well known european a/c manufacturer but I can't wait for the day where I'll go to my boss office, scared as never, to tell him thank you very much but it's time for me to spread my wings and fly away...and I will, just a couple of months to wait!

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck as well as to all the wannabes around here...if nothing major happens in that stupid world there will be a seat for all of us in the future.

Keep the sunny side up

Clear
Old 5th Apr 2002, 12:51

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Just a quick thankyou to all those of you who have taken the trouble to reply with your messages of inspiration.
I know that i will achieve what i dream of with alot of hard work and some luck.
September seems along way away but it will soon come.
I remember back to an Easyjet flight I had a couple of months ago from Gatwick. Picture this - I was sat in the front row, it was very windy outside, pouring down with rain, grey clouds and a generally miserable day all round, BUT the first officer despite having to go and doa walk around with the chance of getting wetter than if he jumped into a swimming pool, had that look on his face, the look of fufilment, enjoyment, excitement and happiness. - Oh boy i cannot wait to get there!

People are right, what I am doing, what people have done and what others will do is a RISK and a big one at that, but then again my Nan kept saying to me before she left this world, life is full of risk, you may get run over by a bus in the morning, if you want something go for it and you will suceed.
2 Years ago i was dreaming of being a private pilot, i saved the money and went for it, now I have got it, I am now dreaming of being a commercial pilot, so witht he same hard work and commitment, next year i will post a messag here saying " Last year I dreamt of being a commercial pilot an now i am.."

My heart sometimes beats so hard when i think of myself in the RHS of a shiny passenger plane, i find it hard to imagine anything that comes close.
I have met many many different "aviators" over the past few years and will be a privellage to spend my working life with a bunch of the friendliest, professional and most helpful people. It is the sort of industry where everyone is out to help everyone else, not themselves !

Keep with it everyone
Spitfire..
Old 5th Apr 2002, 13:38

Check This Thread

Check This Thread.....Things could be on the up soon!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.