PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oh My God - I have done it -- and I am scared
Old 3rd Apr 2002, 06:31
spitfire747

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh My God - I have done it -- and I am scared

Well it has now been a year since i gained my PPL. Since then I managed to get 90 hours TT and a night rating - wasn't easy by perseverence made it happen.

Since Sept 11th I have been following the news of the industry and been reading many useful and some not to useful posts on here about the future. It has been depressing at times with the realisation despite hard work and enthusiasm, actually reaching the RHS FO position is going to be very difficult indeed.

I spent the day filling in the entrance revision pack for London Guildhall University, pondering on all that maths and physics i learnt at school and convinced myself I would never use again in my life. I sent the form in not being hopeful atall.
Well i got the acceptance letter for the ATPL full time course starting in September.

It took a lot of thinking, a few sleepless nights, but I went for it, sent up the £300 deposit and when received the confirmation letter, did the scariest thing i have ever done - handed in my notice at work. The thought of leaving a job, although not highly paid, to go away and study into an industry that is so difficult to gain a foothold had affected everything. My girlfriend has left me, she wanted the new house and security now, not in 5 years so she thought it best to go it alone - this in itself was difficult, but as my flying instructor said, "Your job is for life, your partner may not be", words of comfort ina sense i guess.

Well I have now secured my place, got to go to the bank to see if i can borrow the money for the rest of the CPL, (FI), IR and hour building.

Despite all this, I am a firm believer that if you want something bad enough, you will always get it. It will be difficult for a few years until things change back round, but i want to be in the position to be ready rather than "I Wish I had done that".
I read many people who doubt their ability and personal worth when it comes to flying or a flying career.
I reckon as long as you have passed a class one medical - go for it, if you don't try you will never suceed.

If anyone else has been accepted onto the September course at LGU and want to get in contact - email me

Good Luck
Spitfire

Last edited by spitfire747; 3rd Apr 2002 at 07:14.