PDA

View Full Version : Conversion ICAO SE IR > EASA ME IR

BigGrecian
17th Jun 2013, 13:30
Hello all,

Anybody having problems with students converting from an ICAO SE IR > EASA ME IR.

The UK (and as far as I am aware only the UK) don't seem to accept this anymore.

Although my interpretation of Article 8 doesn't seem to prohibit it as long as we submit the training plan to the CAA for approval or comply with their AMC in :

Section 4 Part Q, Subpart 2 Page 1 of CAP804 paragraph 1.1.1

Or does the wording of article 8
equivalent licence, rating or certificate issued in accordance with Annex 1

really specify to just SEIR or MEIR.

I know several schools are continuing with the SEIR > MEIR training courses in the UK and Iceland but the CAA seems to have refused issue of quite a few recently.

Thoughts please...

2close
17th Jun 2013, 14:03
Convert ICAO SEIR to Part-FCL SEIR using the 15 hour route (not requiring CAA approval) or the reduced training requirements (requiring CAA approval).

Thereafter, upgrade Part-FCL SEIR to Part-FCL MEIR (5 hours ME IR training required, although unlikely to be ready in 5 hours unless current on MEP).

However, if no MEP CR held, the mandatory 6 hour VFR MEP CR training would also be required before the MEIR training was commenced.

I can't see how they could refuse this route which would surely comply with Part-FCL.

Technically, unless I have missed something, anyone could (however unlikely) get a Part-FCL ME IR this way - SE IR, MEP CR training, ME IR 'upgrade'. 11 hours MEP training on the aircraft instead of 15 by going down the direct ME IR route.

:confused:

BigGrecian
17th Jun 2013, 14:18
Under JAR - people didn't need to jump through the SEIR hoop then "upgrade"

They just went direct from ICAO SE IR > EASA ME IR

I just don't see why the AMC couldn't have included an option to include this.

alkatifa
2nd Jul 2013, 20:13
Indeed I've been wraping my brain around this issue recently.

I hold FAA SEP IR and EASA MEP CPL. I do need to convert my FAA to EASA MEP IR. So isn't that allowed anymore under new EASA rules??

Someone told me recently that I would need to get FAA MEP first and then convert 'normally' to EASA MEP IR.

Any input would be highly appreciated as this is getting very confusing!

S-Works
3rd Jul 2013, 08:22
You can convert directly to an EASA MEP IR. Drop me a line, I can arrange it in Spain for you.

chrisbl
7th Jul 2013, 19:27
It can be done I would recommend the people in Jerez. First rate it worked for me.