Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

BA Holdpool

Old 28th Jul 2022, 21:47
  #141 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: london
Posts: 104
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smoggy68 View Post
Does this mean there is another holdpool (other than PRP & PHP)?
I have been led to believe I was in the PHP along with cadets and other tagged but maybe this is not the case. I’m finding it difficult to get information from BA.
Are you a cadet/tagged yourself?
kendrick47247 is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2022, 08:39
  #142 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: World
Posts: 45
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potentially another naïve question from me but a few Nigels in here have provided some great answers so far so here goes:

I’m reading a lot about the toxic management/culture within BA. Now, I can only go on my own experience at my current outfit, but aside from being disappointed in the decision-making at executive level on some things as a whole, I think I’ve probably had one firm interaction with pilot management in the last four years. Part of the beauty of flying is shutting the aircraft door behind you and switching off, and as long as the folks you’re flying with are good sorts you have a nice day out. Is BA management/ops run differently? Are you constantly in contact with your line managers/senior mgmt to a point where their ethos on how to run an airline gets in the way?
Seosan is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2022, 11:36
  #143 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seosan View Post
Potentially another naïve question from me but a few Nigels in here have provided some great answers so far so here goes:

I’m reading a lot about the toxic management/culture within BA. Now, I can only go on my own experience at my current outfit, but aside from being disappointed in the decision-making at executive level on some things as a whole, I think I’ve probably had one firm interaction with pilot management in the last four years. Part of the beauty of flying is shutting the aircraft door behind you and switching off, and as long as the folks you’re flying with are good sorts you have a nice day out. Is BA management/ops run differently? Are you constantly in contact with your line managers/senior mgmt to a point where their ethos on how to run an airline gets in the way?
my experience at BA is similar to yours. I've not had a single interaction with management that was actually management related. Day-to-day you are left alone to get the job done. So long as you aren't constantly cocking everything up you won't hear from anyone.

The daily frustrations are more related to the way the different departments are seemingly under resourced making it impossible to deliver the service that we would like to give the passengers. Despite our best efforts, it's far too often that something out of our control thwarts the plan and we are apologising again.
As a really common example, we will arrive on time only to have our stand occupied for half an hour, then another 10 minute wait to get the stand guidance switched on. So frustrating to be burning huge amounts of fuel and watching dozens of passengers miss their connections because of some invisible upstream problems that we don't really understand. Oh and then there will be too few wheelchairs and no one around to get more, leaving us waiting with the pax on board, again apologising.
White Van Driver is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2022, 12:07
  #144 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: World
Posts: 45
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by White Van Driver View Post
As a really common example, we will arrive on time only to have our stand occupied for half an hour, then another 10 minute wait to get the stand guidance switched on. So frustrating to be burning huge amounts of fuel and watching dozens of passengers miss their connections because of some invisible upstream problems that we don't really understand. Oh and then there will be too few wheelchairs and no one around to get more, leaving us waiting with the pax on board, again apologising.
All sounds very familiar!
Seosan is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2022, 12:21
  #145 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Home Counties
Age: 44
Posts: 565
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by White Van Driver View Post
my experience at BA is similar to yours. I've not had a single interaction with management that was actually management related. Day-to-day you are left alone to get the job done. So long as you aren't constantly cocking everything up you won't hear from anyone.

The daily frustrations are more related to the way the different departments are seemingly under resourced making it impossible to deliver the service that we would like to give the passengers. Despite our best efforts, it's far too often that something out of our control thwarts the plan and we are apologising again.
As a really common example, we will arrive on time only to have our stand occupied for half an hour, then another 10 minute wait to get the stand guidance switched on. So frustrating to be burning huge amounts of fuel and watching dozens of passengers miss their connections because of some invisible upstream problems that we don't really understand. Oh and then there will be too few wheelchairs and no one around to get more, leaving us waiting with the pax on board, again apologising.
Are those not airport issues rather than airline?

I had the same issue with Swiss at the weekend landing at T2 and we were on time departure and flight duration was dead on the flight plan (as per Aerobrief)
Globally Challenged is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2022, 12:31
  #146 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Dorset
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aircraft operate really well as long as they never go near an airport.
Die By Wire is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2022, 13:32
  #147 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 62
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Die By Wire View Post
Aircraft operate really well as long as they never go near an airport.
Hahaha brilliant 😆

I guess the question is more "What is it like working for BA" than "What operational issues are BA's fault".

Yes some of the issues are out of BA's control, but some definitely are. And some are somewhere inbetween.... e.g. bringing in the lowest cost subcontractor - ok technically the issue might be their fault but what after you have voluntarily given that remit away from your direct control, and to a third party highly motivated to drive down cost, I think you share some responsibility.
White Van Driver is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2022, 18:04
  #148 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 526
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smoggy68 View Post
Does this mean there is another holdpool (other than PRP & PHP)?
I have been led to believe I was in the PHP along with cadets and other tagged but maybe this is not the case. I’m finding it difficult to get information from BA.
PRP: Priority Return Pool - those actually made redundant

PHP: Priority Hold Pool - those who had a start date, gave in their 3 months, but were binned by BA before they could actually start so technically not returning.

“Hold Pool” or “pilot hold pool” : the original, pre-covid hold pool everyone went to upon passing their sim assessment.

hopefully with those definitions you can work out which group you were in! (Caveat, I could be wrong with how cadets/tagged cadets fit into all that so take with a pinch of salt)

PRP is done (a few holding out for long haul offers but SH offers have been made), PHP I believe is mostly all done too, but may not quite be finished. I there were only about 30 in that group I believe.

heard mixed things about the regular hold pool as to whether they’re being looked at ahead of the new recruitment drive for next summer, so hopefully someone else has that info!
Busdriver01 is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2022, 18:13
  #149 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m in the regular hold pool. I had an email update to say as I completed all stages I don’t need to reapply for this recruitment drive, just to update some details.

Havent had any other information the email just said to fill in the form and we hope to have further information soon.

In the process of converting back to CAA license just in case it’s sooner than expected but really not sure
Treestripe is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2022, 18:34
  #150 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Dorset
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“PRP is done (a few holding out for long haul offers but SH offers have been made), PHP I believe is mostly all done too, but may not quite be finished. I there were only about 30 in that group.”

Errr…. I don’t think so? I’m in the PRP and haven’t been offered anything yet, LH or SH. Just getting email updates of intentions to offer something shortly and looking forward to being welcomed back in the coming months.
Die By Wire is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2022, 18:36
  #151 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 526
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Die By Wire View Post
“PRP is done (a few holding out for long haul offers but SH offers have been made), PHP I believe is mostly all done too, but may not quite be finished. I there were only about 30 in that group.”

Errr…. I don’t think so? I’m in the PRP and haven’t been offered anything yet, LH or SH. Just getting email updates of intentions to offer something shortly and looking forward to being welcomed back in the coming months.
Gosh, I had bad info then! I was sure the last of the prp had received a date. Guess that means PHP also not been touched either then.
Busdriver01 is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2022, 21:00
  #152 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 864
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone has been offered the opportunity to go to LGW. For good reason, many have elected not to take that offer up. I believe offers have been made to those in the PHP but only for LGW positions declined by others.
Jwscud is online now  
Old 29th Jul 2022, 21:44
  #153 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: london
Posts: 104
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Busdriver01 View Post
Gosh, I had bad info then! I was sure the last of the prp had received a date. Guess that means PHP also not been touched either then.
(Some) TR’d in the PHP have been offered EF and have start dates/contracts.

The PHP is larger than just 30.

There is nothing even hinted about people in the existing holdpool being mixed with the current recruitment campaign; quite the opposite in fact, they’ve been told that others will not be recruited before them.

No info on how or where cadets are placed, apologies.
kendrick47247 is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2022, 16:56
  #154 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Planet
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When people say recruitment drive for next summer do they mean the recruitment stages / campaign during next summer OR are we talking recruitment drive pre Easter for dates starting next summer?

Also it correct to say that absolutely no one has been offered LH courses?

I suppose there’s no way people in the regular hold pool will be offered LH before a PRP or a PHP person right?

Any update on the delayed 787s?

Last edited by skyflyer101; 31st Jul 2022 at 17:35.
skyflyer101 is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2022, 18:02
  #155 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: London
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skyflyer101 View Post
When people say recruitment drive for next summer do they mean the recruitment stages / campaign during next summer OR are we talking recruitment drive pre Easter for dates starting next summer?

Also it correct to say that absolutely no one has been offered LH courses?

I suppose there’s no way people in the regular hold pool will be offered LH before a PRP or a PHP person right?

Any update on the delayed 787s?
Have you been able to get any idea from BA of numbers waiting in the holdpool?

smoggy68 is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2022, 18:21
  #156 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: somewhere in the middle
Posts: 300
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skyflyer101 View Post
Any update on the delayed 787s?
Apparently BA's jets have been moved out of storage to the boeing plant for rework before delivery late Autumn. 787 is currently overcrewed and very probably over subscribed with internal bidders.
thetimesreader84 is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2022, 18:51
  #157 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spain
Age: 43
Posts: 71
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skyflyer101 View Post
When people say recruitment drive for next summer do they mean the recruitment stages / campaign during next summer OR are we talking recruitment drive pre Easter for dates starting next summer?

Also it correct to say that absolutely no one has been offered LH courses?

I suppose there’s no way people in the regular hold pool will be offered LH before a PRP or a PHP person right?

Any update on the delayed 787s?
As has been said before, its possible but unlikely anyone will be offered LH from this round and extremely unlikely the 787, but then stranger things have happened. This is the recruitment round for next summer as the lead time (advert, application, interviews, job offers, notice periods etc) come up to around 8+ months in reality.

If you join just be prepared for junior SH life. Its not actually all that bad, there are some brilliant nightstops and with a huge varied route network the flying is challenging and rewarding. Whilst pay is a “current theme” there are much worse places out there and BA’s pension contributions are pretty good by modern standards. You are fed and watered onboard and there are various corporate perks too. The career path still eventually offers you longhaul or a shorthaul command if that’s the path you want to go down.
Chief Willy is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2022, 19:32
  #158 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Planet
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chief Willy,

so by that logic, if the new campaign recruits are expected to have actual start dates in Summer next year, it can be assumed that the entire PRP, PHP, and current hold pool will be completed emptied and everyone in those 3 categories will have been offered a job in some form be it SH or LH for start dates BEFORE summer?

Last edited by skyflyer101; 31st Jul 2022 at 19:54.
skyflyer101 is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2022, 19:56
  #159 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spain
Age: 43
Posts: 71
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skyflyer101 View Post
Thanks Chief Willy,

so by that logic, if the new campaign recruits are expected to have actual start dates in Summer next year, it can be assumed that the entire PRP, PHP, and current hold pool will be completed emptied and everyone in those 3 categories will have been offered a job in some form be it SH or LH for start dates BEFORE summer?
I’d have thought so, yes. But then this is all subject to world events etc. If you want to apply I’d go for it, don’t be too put off by the negatives. I honestly believe there are no really good pilot jobs out there any more.
Chief Willy is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2022, 20:06
  #160 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: everywhere
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've 2 questions about the application process I'd be grateful if people could answer:

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear an answer to our application and when assessment days are expected?

What simulator is the assessment going to be in? I believe it was 747 or 767 in the past though I presume those sims have been removed ..

Cheers

Last edited by A320LGW; 31st Jul 2022 at 20:25. Reason: Autocorrect
A320LGW is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.