Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Terms and Endearment
Reload this Page >

Norwegian B737 Pilot selection (Updated)

Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

Norwegian B737 Pilot selection (Updated)

Old 9th Mar 2019, 14:34
  #1181 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Limbo
Posts: 1
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...an-bid-456397/

"It's a pity – I still hope they succeed," he adds, citing concerns around recent financial challenges faced by Norwegian, particularly regarding fuel costs and hedging.

But Walsh goes on to praise the "exceptional job" done by Norwegian's chief executive Bjorn Kjos, such as the proof-of-concept work relating to long-haul low-cost operations.

"He's proven, if not to everybody but certainly to us, that the market exists and the customer will embrace the business model."
directmisbi is offline  
Old 9th Mar 2019, 14:36
  #1182 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ilmington, Warwickshire
Posts: 77
O’Leary has always had a real chip on his shoulder about Norwegian. Not quite sure, if he’s that confident of his own business model, why he has to go on and on about DY so much? Maybe I’ve missed it, but he doesn’t seem to bitch about EZY in quite the same way.

MOL doesn’t like to admit FR lost a lot of pilots to DY a couple of years ago which caused the shortage and cancellations at FR - not rostering issues which were given as the excuse then by him

BehindBlueEyes is offline  
Old 9th Mar 2019, 14:57
  #1183 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Limbo
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by BehindBlueEyes View Post
O’Leary has always had a real chip on his shoulder about Norwegian. Not quite sure, if he’s that confident of his own business model, why he has to go on and on about DY so much? Maybe I’ve missed it, but he doesn’t seem to bitch about EZY in quite the same way.

MOL doesn’t like to admit FR lost a lot of pilots to DY a couple of years ago which caused the shortage and cancellations at FR - not rostering issues which were given as the excuse then by him







It really took off when DY choose EasyJet over ryanair regarding the feeder agreement from DY LH to EZY SH. The negotiation had been going on for some time, with ryanair being the frontrunner for a deal(at least according to MOL) In the end, Kjos went for EasyJet and called MOL greedy in the process. MOL turned to the media, and went on and on about DY going bust. Kjos then went public, and said ryanair tried to buy the company last year. MOL turned bitter and the rest is history..

Last edited by directmisbi; 9th Mar 2019 at 15:21.
directmisbi is offline  
Old 9th Mar 2019, 15:24
  #1184 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: UK
Posts: 261
Originally Posted by directmisbi View Post
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...an-bid-456397/

"It's a pity – I still hope they succeed," he adds, citing concerns around recent financial challenges faced by Norwegian, particularly regarding fuel costs and hedging.

But Walsh goes on to praise the "exceptional job" done by Norwegian's chief executive Bjorn Kjos, such as the proof-of-concept work relating to long-haul low-cost operations.

"He's proven, if not to everybody but certainly to us, that the market exists and the customer will embrace the business model."
Mr Walsh also said in the same interview that Norweigian faces “very, very significant challenges”
fruitbat is offline  
Old 9th Mar 2019, 16:33
  #1185 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Botswana
Posts: 715
Struggling to understand Walsh’s comments. So Kjos has proven that there is a market for people who can’t normally afford to fly long haul to pay £170 to fly to Los Angeles, well no excrement, Sherlock!! Just like there are people who want to pay £200 for a 65” LG OLED TV, trouble is it doesn’t make money! Surely that’s the whole point here. How exactly has Kjos proved that low cost long haul works when his company is losing money hand over fist? The only thing he has proved is that there are people willing to pay a bargain basement unbundled fare, which should have been bloody obvious from the beginning. The thing we definitely know is that it still requires a hard business product to actually pay for the thing and start to make money. Norwegian don’t have this and won’t until they change their business model. And we’re back where we started...
RexBanner is offline  
Old 9th Mar 2019, 17:13
  #1186 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Uk
Posts: 2
Time will tell, Rex .....cost cutting in progress to sort stuff out.

incidentally, you didn’t used to go “ Direct bondi “ ina previous life did you ?
Meester proach is offline  
Old 12th Mar 2019, 15:05
  #1187 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FUBAR
Posts: 3,349
Their Winter struggles will be stretched to the MAX now. . . . . . . . . . sure Boeing will have to cough up, but, like the 1st and 2nd chapter of the Dreamliner debacles, the money doesn't arrive in the account overnight and probably never truly covers the lost revenue and costs of subbing in a replacement.
captplaystation is offline  
Old 12th Mar 2019, 17:47
  #1188 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 177
Originally Posted by captplaystation View Post
Their Winter struggles will be stretched to the MAX now. . . . . . . . . . sure Boeing will have to cough up, but, like the 1st and 2nd chapter of the Dreamliner debacles, the money doesn't arrive in the account overnight and probably never truly covers the lost revenue and costs of subbing in a replacement.
Yep a hill to climb just got a lot bigger
EIFFS is offline  
Old 12th Mar 2019, 22:35
  #1189 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Outta town
Posts: 153
Everyones looking at the increasingly dire situation @ Norwegian , but what about Jet2 ‘s financial state? Heavily indebbted to its creditors , and huge orders for 737s 800s . Maybe this type will also be grounded next ?
highfive is offline  
Old 13th Mar 2019, 10:07
  #1190 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Everyones looking at the increasingly dire situation @ Norwegian , but what about Jet2 ‘s financial state? Heavily indebbted to its creditors , and huge orders for 737s 800s . Maybe this type will also be grounded next ?
Wow. Not sure you could have misunderstood the situation more if you tried. I don’t work for them, but I gather Jet2 are doing very nicely, i.e. they are profitable. Norweigian on the other hand...
DuctOvht is offline  
Old 13th Mar 2019, 10:41
  #1191 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Amantido
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Everyones looking at the increasingly dire situation @ Norwegian , but what about Jet2 ‘s financial state? Heavily indebbted to its creditors , and huge orders for 737s 800s . Maybe this type will also be grounded next ?
Why would they ground the - 800s in the first place?
Banana Joe is online now  
Old 14th Mar 2019, 02:10
  #1192 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Almost horizontal
Posts: 111
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Everyones looking at the increasingly dire situation @ Norwegian , but what about Jet2 ‘s financial state? Heavily indebbted to its creditors , and huge orders for 737s 800s . Maybe this type will also be grounded next ?
I must have missed the announcement, what huge orders do Jet2 have? The last of their order(s) has already been delivered.
Too Few Stripes is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.