Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Tech Log
Reload this Page >

Excel Spread Sheet for Aircraft with Performance Tables

Tech Log The very best in practical technical discussion on the web

Excel Spread Sheet for Aircraft with Performance Tables

Reply

Old 17th Apr 2018, 00:25
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NZ
Posts: 8
Excel Spread Sheet for Aircraft with Performance Tables

Hi folks,

Looking for a comment from the spread sheet gurus. I am building an SS I can use to XC my take off and landing performance calcs on aircraft that publish a table rather than a chart. IMO tables are laborious and introduce greater risk of human error.

Ideally a spread sheet would have fixed variables like Weight, Altitudes, Head/Tail Wind Component, Slope, Surface, Surface Wet/Dry and then a table to input the run and 50ft clearance numbers for 3 weights, 3 head winds and 3 altitudes.

Has anyone done this before or seen something I could build from on their travels?
AC103 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2018, 00:32
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: BC
Posts: 442
What type of aircraft?
777AV8R is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2018, 01:09
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: WA STATE
Age: 72
Posts: 466
Originally Posted by AC103 View Post
Hi folks,

Looking for a comment from the spread sheet gurus. I am building an SS I can use to XC my take off and landing performance calcs on aircraft that publish a table rather than a chart. IMO tables are laborious and introduce greater risk of human error.

Ideally a spread sheet would have fixed variables like Weight, Altitudes, Head/Tail Wind Component, Slope, Surface, Surface Wet/Dry and then a table to input the run and 50ft clearance numbers for 3 weights, 3 head winds and 3 altitudes.

Has anyone done this before or seen something I could build from on their travels?

A standard part of excel spreadsheets is an addon called solver- go to help and look it up and how to activate. It can handle multi variables via a number of different methods- so that if you input a few variables, it will calculate others.

May take an hour or two to get familiar and check certain examples
CONSO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2018, 04:23
  #4 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NZ
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by 777AV8R View Post
What type of aircraft?
Robin/Alpha R2160, anyone done one for them?

Solver looks interesting, good for working out what you can carry based on the constraints of the mission. It looks like I would still have to build the cascade of formulas to interpolate between know table entries and some if statements by the looks to slot the variables in between the correct table pairs ... Youtubing...
AC103 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2018, 12:54
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: PA
Age: 53
Posts: 1,705
We built many, many spreadsheets like this for use in the procedure designs.

Many variables per ac variant, especially the different engine types, temperatures, bank angle, etc..EO, and load certs per airline. Turn performance also needs consideration, and how terrain is handled with turn performance.

This was all tied to horizontal and vertical profiles in Civil 3D coupled with Google Earth for the terrain.

The FAA has some spreadsheets you may want to look at, 8260.52_v7.4.xls,

there is ICAO GASA_graphics_tool.xls...

GASA

Last edited by underfire; 17th Apr 2018 at 13:05.
underfire is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2018, 19:20
  #6 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NZ
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by underfire View Post
We built many, many spreadsheets like this for use in the procedure designs.

Many variables per ac variant, especially the different engine types, temperatures, bank angle, etc..EO, and load certs per airline. Turn performance also needs consideration, and how terrain is handled with turn performance.

This was all tied to horizontal and vertical profiles in Civil 3D coupled with Google Earth for the terrain.

The FAA has some spreadsheets you may want to look at, 8260.52_v7.4.xls,
That sounds fascinating, it would be very interesting to see the studies on the approach designs for NZQN.

Are you able to point me towards the FAA xls? I am having trouble finding it... Also any xls you could share that I might be able to get some idea for layout and so on would be great.
AC103 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2018, 19:34
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: PA
Age: 53
Posts: 1,705
Not sure where to find that spreadsheet anymore...
underfire is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2018, 03:39
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: WA STATE
Age: 72
Posts: 466
Originally Posted by AC103 View Post
That sounds fascinating, it would be very interesting to see the studies on the approach designs for NZQN.

Are you able to point me towards the FAA xls? I am having trouble finding it... Also any xls you could share that I might be able to get some idea for layout and so on would be great.

might start here

https://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/...nd/8260_52.pdf

or

https://www.faa.gov/search/?omni=MainSearch&q=8260.52
CONSO is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service