Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Tech Log
Reload this Page >

When are you allowed to put your hand back on thrust levers after V1?

Tech Log The very best in practical technical discussion on the web

When are you allowed to put your hand back on thrust levers after V1?

Old 1st May 2018, 15:47
  #81 (permalink)  
LEM
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The Roman Empire
Posts: 828
Having said that, I'm amazed too at how many replies there have been to my question.
Thanks to all for that!
Once again, automation, aircraft type or moving/not moving thrust levers have nothing to do with my original concern.
I'm a fanatical advocate of tactile feedback, and that's why I despise Airbus.
Keep your hand on the thrust levers as much as possible, but please, NOT DURING THE FIRST 400FT!!!
Your hand there is dangerous, and that's why you HAVE to REMOVE it at V1!

Thank you,

LEM
LEM is offline  
Old 1st May 2018, 16:52
  #82 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 534
Originally Posted by LEM View Post

Once again, automation, aircraft type or moving/not moving thrust levers have nothing to do with my original concern.
I'm a fanatical advocate of tactile feedback, and that's why I despise Airbus.
Itís been discussed before and I will repeat myself but even if I agree that having auto throttle has its advantages, the way Airbus has designed its instruments, you really donít need them.
From FCTM: ę The Flight crew can easily and intuitively monitor the energy of the aircraft via current energy cues (speed, speed trend, engine parameters), and not via ambiguous thrust levers movement. Ľ
And I could not agree more, in a glitch of an eye you know exactly what your engines are doing.
pineteam is offline  
Old 2nd May 2018, 10:41
  #83 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Flightdeck
Age: 32
Posts: 270
83 (eighty-three) post of discussion for something I though common practice on most types/manufacturers. I am aghast.
I really don't see the need of putting back your hand on the throttles after liftoff in "normal" ops, assumed you took it off at or prior to V1 of course.
Maybe you could guard the TLs, after 400ft, if you want to be extra careful and verify that reaching the trust reduction altitude (or elevation, name it) the autothrottle gives you a climb setting. Once the latter is established there's no need for touching.

Papa_Golf is offline  
Old 2nd May 2018, 11:00
  #84 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: LGW
Posts: 162
Originally Posted by LEM View Post
About the Engine anti ice thing on the Airbus: the reason the manufacturer wrote such SOP is that as soon as you turn ONE engine antiice on a MEMO will appear: ENG ANTIICE ON.
Turning only one on would create a trap in making you believe they are both on before takeoff, the phase in which they are really needed.

They privileged the safest solution between two contrasting requirements.
And that is the reason why we should look at the actual switches and not just believe what ECAM says. It surprises me how often people set the parking brake but donít check the tripple indicator. Even though the parking brake handle is set to Ďoní and Ďparking brakeí is displayed on ECAM does not mean that the parking brake is actually on and holding pressure. The only way to check that is by looking at the tripple indicator.
Flying Torquewrench is offline  
Old 2nd May 2018, 11:20
  #85 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 534
The only time I had problem with the brakes was during my base flight. When I released the parking brake, the Ecam memo was still showing "Parking brake" and the triple indicator was also showing pressure but the handle was definitely set to off and the orange light on the nose gear was also still on. The ecam memo is always the reality but not the switches, at least from my experience and that's what I was told during my type rating. It's true tho in case of engine anti ice, you can't be sure it's on for both engines unless you look at the actual switches or the engines EPR/N1 limits discrepancy . Saying that, guys looking down at the flaps levers , or gears levers for instance to confirm the position are doing the check incorrectly. the correct flaps or gears setting is confirmed by looking at the ecam or the landing gear indicator lights only. Except during cockpit preparation to confirm the levers match the correct gears/flaps position.

Last edited by pineteam; 2nd May 2018 at 11:34. Reason: typo + one sentence
pineteam is offline  
Old 2nd May 2018, 11:23
  #86 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wanderlust
Posts: 2,300
It surprises me how often people set the parking brake but donít check the tripple indicator.
This habbit needs to be built in type rating itself. In a FBW when you operate a lever you just send an electrical signal like switcing on an electric bulb but unless the bulb has lit it's not on.
vilas is offline  
Old 2nd May 2018, 11:36
  #87 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 534
Originally Posted by vilas View Post
This habbit needs to be built in type rating itself. In a FBW when you operate a lever you just send an electrical signal like switcing on an electric bulb but unless the bulb has lit it's not on.
It's shocking the number of people looking at the parking brake handle during the before start checklist below the line instead of looking in front of them at the triple indicator and/or ecam memo.
pineteam is offline  
Old 2nd May 2018, 13:52
  #88 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 47
Devil

Originally Posted by Check Airman View Post


Devil's advocate- if you get windshear at 100ft and your hand isn't on the thrust levers, what precludes you from reaching over and grabbing them?
Not a thing. I was responding to a question if you didn't notice.
Busserday is offline  
Old 2nd May 2018, 14:28
  #89 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,418
Originally Posted by Busserday View Post
Not a thing. I was responding to a question if you didn't notice.
If nothing's stopping you from reaching over and moving the levers to the setting you want, what's the point (especially in a FBW Airbus) of keeping your hand on them?
Check Airman is offline  
Old 2nd May 2018, 20:53
  #90 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Everett, WA
Age: 64
Posts: 2,383
Originally Posted by pineteam View Post
Itís been discussed before and I will repeat myself but even if I agree that having auto throttle has its advantages, the way Airbus has designed its instruments, you really donít need them.
From FCTM: ę The Flight crew can easily and intuitively monitor the energy of the aircraft via current energy cues (speed, speed trend, engine parameters), and not via ambiguous thrust levers movement. Ľ
And I could not agree more, in a glitch of an eye you know exactly what your engines are doing.
The displays tell you what the engines are doing.
With moving throttles, the throttle movement tells you what the engines are going to do. Many pilots like that information, particularly during final approach/landing. Not normally needed during climb/cruise.
tdracer is offline  
Old 2nd May 2018, 23:24
  #91 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,418
Originally Posted by tdracer View Post
The displays tell you what the engines are doing.
With moving throttles, the throttle movement tells you what the engines are going to do. Many pilots like that information, particularly during final approach/landing. Not normally needed during climb/cruise.
Agreed. Although I'll admit that perhaps because they don't move, I tend to be more aware of my N1 in the bus. Putting a little motor beneath the levers wouldn't have killed Airbus though.
Check Airman is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.