Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

Avion Express A320 off-piste at Vilnius

Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

Avion Express A320 off-piste at Vilnius

Old 4th Feb 2024, 08:39
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 15,744
Received 178 Likes on 85 Posts
Avion Express A320 off-piste at Vilnius

No need to wait for that tug to pull you out of the mud when you have Joe Patroni in the LH seat:




DaveReidUK is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2024, 08:49
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: UK
Posts: 2,445
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts
Is that an actual photo of this ? No spoilers up on the starboard wing...............or maybe just not visible on the dark side of that photo.

But they veered right ?
Uplinker is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2024, 09:21
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 717
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
Is that an actual photo of this ? No spoilers up on the starboard wing...............or maybe just not visible on the dark side of that photo.

But they veered right ?
If you zoom in you can see the spoilers are up on that wing, starting just outboard of the outer flap fairing working back towards the engine. It matches the other wing. I think it’s just the cloud of dirt and dust creating an illusion.

From the photo, one possible explanation is that a cat was at the controls and was distracted by the opportunity to chase the large bird visible in the foreground.
Mr Good Cat is online now  
Old 4th Feb 2024, 09:37
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: EDLB
Posts: 356
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tea no biscuit session with the chief pilot?
EDLB is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2024, 12:43
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Europe
Posts: 256
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
ATC, weather info and video:

xetroV is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2024, 15:24
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: London
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
huge yaw at 1:20... almost going sideways
NOC40 is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2024, 18:13
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: D(Emona)
Posts: 401
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Awesome airmanship and safety culture.
I think the crew should be awarded for "avoiding the terminal and saving 500 lives".
Dufo is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2024, 21:58
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Western Europe
Posts: 292
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is an interesting thread elsewhere on this fine website detailing their terms and conditions and general operation. Make up your mind as to whether this is a career airline. Could be just bad luck.....
Consol is offline  
Old 5th Feb 2024, 06:20
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Age: 66
Posts: 757
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Avion Express LY- flying with their callsign outfit Nordvind.
Avion Express Malta 9H- are callsign South Wind

This LY- aircraft sustained substantial damage to the underside of the centre fuselage and wing flaps.


Avion have been operating in the UK for many years flying ACMI summer work for TUI, BA Euro, Easyjet and previously for Thomas Cook Airlines UK, Monarch?, and Titan.

Last edited by rog747; 5th Feb 2024 at 11:22.
rog747 is online now  
Old 5th Feb 2024, 10:15
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London
Posts: 241
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Good Cat
From the photo, one possible explanation is that a cat was at the controls and was distracted by the opportunity to chase the large bird visible in the foreground.
I cannot like this comment more, proper belly laugh.
Thanks muchly!

OB
Opsbeatch is offline  
Old 5th Feb 2024, 10:15
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: away from home
Posts: 885
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wondering if there will be any reaction at all from Lithuanian aviation authorities. Or maybe it will just get reregistered in Malta and all is good!
oceancrosser is offline  
Old 5th Feb 2024, 12:26
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: North
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pay2Fly at its finest
Icejock is offline  
Old 5th Feb 2024, 14:39
  #13 (permalink)  
NG1
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLF here, but question to the experts: after having experienced such a substantial detour through unpaved area, throwing up mud and whatever - would you continue at your own power? I'd be worried about any ingested mud, gravel, ice etc and rather shut down the engines? Furthermore I'd be worried about any damage to other aircraft parts, landing gear, hydraulics that might have a substantial impact on the ability of controlling the aircraft whilst taxyiing and / or increase the damage to the aircraft by taxiing to the stand?
NG1 is offline  
Old 5th Feb 2024, 14:42
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NG1
SLF here, but question to the experts: after having experienced such a substantial detour through unpaved area, throwing up mud and whatever - would you continue at your own power? I'd be worried about any ingested mud, gravel, ice etc and rather shut down the engines? Furthermore I'd be worried about any damage to other aircraft parts, landing gear, hydraulics that might have a substantial impact on the ability of controlling the aircraft whilst taxyiing and / or increase the damage to the aircraft by taxiing to the stand?
Yes… especially engines could be damaged. Possibly with a fire outcome.
Gero is offline  
Old 5th Feb 2024, 15:13
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Age: 46
Posts: 334
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A picture on the aviation herald shows clear damage to the underside. It seems to be to the wing-body fairing, so at least not primary structure: https://avherald.com/h?article=5147d9d5&opt=0
procede is offline  
Old 5th Feb 2024, 16:10
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: EDLB
Posts: 356
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think the dirt going through the engines will be way more expensive.

EDLB is offline  
Old 5th Feb 2024, 19:26
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: France
Age: 62
Posts: 97
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
video of the off-road trip. Remarkable landing gear side load performance:
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1754107432865800319
spornrad is offline  
Old 5th Feb 2024, 19:49
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,692
Received 128 Likes on 60 Posts
Nice drift…must be a rally driver.
Originally Posted by spornrad
video of the off-road trip. Remarkable landing gear side load performance:
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1754107432865800319
albatross is offline  
Old 5th Feb 2024, 20:54
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cab of a Freight Train
Posts: 1,196
Received 98 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by albatross
Nice drift…must be a rally driver.
Should've kept the right pedal in, would've been close to making that middle taxiway.
KRviator is offline  
Old 5th Feb 2024, 22:16
  #20 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 15,744
Received 178 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by procede
A picture on the aviation herald shows clear damage to the underside. It seems to be to the wing-body fairing, so at least not primary structure: https://avherald.com/h?article=5147d9d5&opt=0
If Avherald is to be believed, the aircraft dropped 1200 feet in 2 seconds:



I suspect not.
DaveReidUK is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.