Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

PC-6 crash in PNG

Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

PC-6 crash in PNG

Old 12th Aug 2018, 10:53
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Age: 75
Posts: 1,071
PC-6 crash in PNG

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-45160772
Not the easiest or safest part of the world to fly.
The Ancient Geek is offline  
Old 12th Aug 2018, 11:23
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Age: 58
Posts: 424
Geographical semantics: Papua, Indonesia, near the border with PNG (same island, two different countries).
GordonR_Cape is offline  
Old 12th Aug 2018, 11:43
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Posts: 7,083
It's terrible country for flying - but there is no real alternative
Heathrow Harry is offline  
Old 12th Aug 2018, 14:35
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: turn L @ Taupo, just past the Niagra Falls...
Posts: 580
The “PC-6” referenced was in point-of-fact a PAC750XL, PK-HVQ.
RadioSaigon is offline  
Old 12th Aug 2018, 21:46
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: .
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by Heathrow Harry View Post
It's terrible country for flying - but there is no real alternative
Pretty awesome country for flying, visually stunning and interesting destinations.

That said one does need to respect the weather. It is a factor in most accidents. To me, it seems that with more capable planes there is less respect for the weather.
StudentPilot479 is offline  
Old 12th Aug 2018, 23:36
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N/A
Posts: 3,269
Not the easiest or safest part of the world to fly.
megan is online now  
Old 13th Aug 2018, 00:32
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Global Citizen
Posts: 148
Originally Posted by RadioSaigon View Post
The “PC-6” referenced was in point-of-fact a PAC750XL, PK-HVQ.
https://regional.kompas.com/read/201...g-anak-selamatPlease be aware the victims are named in this article.
stormfury is offline  
Old 13th Aug 2018, 03:34
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: turn L @ Taupo, just past the Niagra Falls...
Posts: 580
Originally Posted by stormfury View Post
https://regional.kompas.com/read/201...g-anak-selamatPlease be aware the victims are named in this article.
Yes, stormfury I am fully aware that media reports state it was a PC-6. The FACT of the matter is, the airframe Was Indeed a PAC750XL. It was imported from SAF around 18 months ago. The aircraft was flown by a PNG national who had been flying in Indonesian Papua for about the last 12 months. The copilot was a man I knew personally and had worked with in the not too distant past.

If if you can figure out from that, that I have some knowledge of what I speak, you will accept that the media have the aircraft type wrong.
RadioSaigon is offline  
Old 13th Aug 2018, 06:30
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 11,743
Originally Posted by RadioSaigon View Post
Yes, stormfury I am fully aware that media reports state it was a PC-6.
The various media reports misidentifying the aircraft type all quote a common source - AFP - so it's not surprising that there are a number of them.

The BBC report, linked in post #1, has subsequently been amended to remove the Pilatus reference, although the dateline doesn't mention the fact that it has been edited.
DaveReidUK is offline  
Old 13th Aug 2018, 09:39
  #10 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Age: 75
Posts: 1,071
First reports very often get things wrong, especially in more remote areas.
Being in Indonesian territory we are unlikely to see a published investigation report but the most probable cause will be weather related CFIT which is always a major hazard in the area.

Condolences to all concerned and may their memory be a blessing.
The Ancient Geek is offline  
Old 13th Aug 2018, 12:03
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Global Citizen
Posts: 148
Originally Posted by RadioSaigon View Post


Yes, stormfury I am fully aware that media reports state it was a PC-6. The FACT of the matter is, the airframe Was Indeed a PAC750XL. It was imported from SAF around 18 months ago. The aircraft was flown by a PNG national who had been flying in Indonesian Papua for about the last 12 months. The copilot was a man I knew personally and had worked with in the not too distant past.

If if you can figure out from that, that I have some knowledge of what I speak, you will accept that the media have the aircraft type wrong.
RS,

Because of exactly the fact that you have ‘knowledge of what you speak’ I figured you would at least having a limited ability to read/understand BI. The article I linked to validated your point it was in fact a PAC 750 and not a PC- 6.

Pesawat Dimonim Air PK-HVQ, Tipe PAC 750XL

Bersantai!

Last edited by stormfury; 13th Aug 2018 at 12:13.
stormfury is offline  
Old 13th Aug 2018, 12:13
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Wanaka, NZ
Posts: 2,199
Originally Posted by StudentPilot479 View Post
...That said one does need to respect the weather. It is a factor in most accidents.
Exactly right. I almost came unstuck very close to this accident site, but on the PNG side of the border. Stuck in a valley flying in smaller and smaller circles as the weather got lower and lower all around me. Tiger country out that way. Very unforgiving in bad weather.
gulliBell is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2018, 00:47
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: turn L @ Taupo, just past the Niagra Falls...
Posts: 580
Originally Posted by stormfury View Post
The article I linked to validated your point it was in fact a PAC 750 and not a PC- 6.

Pesawat Dimonim Air PK-HVQ, Tipe PAC 750XL

Bersantai!
My apologies. In truth, I looked only at the text of the link as posted, did not click-through to the article. As you may be able to imagine, I have been a little swamped with info/images/calls etc of the last few days. Not everything I’m sent has had perhaps the attention it deserves. Yet. I apologise for acting on an erroneous assumption, rather than having read the article before responding.

RS
RadioSaigon is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2018, 00:52
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: turn L @ Taupo, just past the Niagra Falls...
Posts: 580
Originally Posted by The Ancient Geek View Post
...the most probable cause will be weather related CFIT which is always a major hazard in the area.

Condolences to all concerned and may their memory be a blessing.
Quite.

The ROOT Cause, more closely related to (unconducted, incomplete or entirely inappropriate) training, lack thereof and pressure (not exactly the word I’m looking for) from Executive level within the company. If you’ve been here, you’ll understand what I mean.
RadioSaigon is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2018, 02:54
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Global Citizen
Posts: 148
Originally Posted by RadioSaigon View Post


My apologies. In truth, I looked only at the text of the link as posted, did not click-through to the article. As you may be able to imagine, I have been a little swamped with info/images/calls etc of the last few days. Not everything I’m sent has had perhaps the attention it deserves. Yet. I apologise for acting on an erroneous assumption, rather than having read the article before responding.

RS

No worries, hopefully you’re doing ok, losing those you know well and care for is never an easy thing.
stormfury is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2018, 04:17
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 2000
Posts: 181
Originally Posted by RadioSaigon View Post


Quite.

The ROOT Cause, more closely related to (unconducted, incomplete or entirely inappropriate) training, lack thereof and pressure (not exactly the word I’m looking for) from Executive level within the company. If you’ve been here, you’ll understand what I mean.
Nail.....Head.
Killer Loop is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.