Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

EC notice on BREXIT issued, licenses/certificates invalid

Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

EC notice on BREXIT issued, licenses/certificates invalid

Old 28th Aug 2019, 19:54
  #721 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: French Alps
Posts: 326
Originally Posted by PAX_Britannica View Post
You mean, like providing a website which discusses Brexit-related issues: https://info.caa.co.uk/brexit/ ?
Thanks for the link.
As a quick recap, in case of no-deal, the CAA would recognize EU approvals and licenses for "up to 2 years".
Not sure of who will decide the actual duration of this transition period. Maybe the PM ?
They confirm that UK commercial pilots could (should ?) change the state of issue of their EASA license prior to Brexit...
Fly Aiprt is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2019, 22:08
  #722 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Bristol, England
Age: 62
Posts: 1,589
TBH the SOLI question appears to be no brainer. If you transfer your SOLI the UK will recognise everything for up to two years and on application issue you a parallel UK PART-FCL licence (no details available). If you keep the UK as your SOLI you get only the UK PART-FCL licence (no details available)
Alex Whittingham is offline  
Old 29th Aug 2019, 17:03
  #723 (permalink)  
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tracy Island
Posts: 112
Thanks Alex, I have asked for a validation to fly G REG on my SOLI license. They donít know how thatís going to work yet. I am flying on a Far East trip 31 into 1st.

Happy days.......may write my own validation in crayon on the back of the plog.

Kak Klaxon is offline  
Old 29th Aug 2019, 23:04
  #724 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: on the way to sea
Posts: 247
it is simple - if there hard brexit, UK licence will not be valid in EU. It may well be in the USA on the other hand....
kontrolor is offline  
Old 4th Sep 2019, 22:15
  #725 (permalink)  
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: South West England
Posts: 6
I feel I was a bit late to the party with the state of licence issue advice unfortunately. Having read the advice though, it seems like the wisest thing to do. Especially with the potential delay bill being passed through parliament tonight, which would extend the deadline for the state of licence issue process to be completed.

Just a question though. Should we leave No Deal on October 31st, as a holder of what would then become a UK Part-FCL PPL (with insufficient time between now and then to change states), what would be the likely process be to change states post Brexit??

Hopefully there's a delay which allows for my change of state, but asking just in case there's not.
SJH1 is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2019, 13:49
  #726 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: From UK
Posts: 72
Does anyone know this current Johnson deal affects pilots and student in regards to EASA/ CAA?

Will the UK remain in EASA during the transition period?

International treaties are not really in my realm of expertise and I've seen no articles online about it.
RedDragonFlyer is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2019, 15:45
  #727 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,431
Originally Posted by RedDragonFlyer View Post
Does anyone know this current Johnson deal affects pilots and student in regards to EASA/ CAA?.

(Plenty of people will speculate, and some claim inside information, but nobody knows.)
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2019, 17:47
  #728 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: FL410
Posts: 858
what would be the likely process be to change states post Brexit??
You will require a full application from the like of any third country status applicant, as intra-EASA transfer of licence will not be able to change anymore.
See it a s full initial each time...
Skyjob is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2019, 19:19
  #729 (permalink)  
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Elsewhere
Posts: 168
Originally Posted by Skyjob View Post
You will require a full application from the like of any third country status applicant, as intra-EASA transfer of licence will not be able to change anymore.
See it a s full initial each time...
This scenario is only in case of a no-deal, in case of a deal, depend on the deal itself.
Pinuz89 is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2020, 17:20
  #730 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: canada
Posts: 170
I am currently writing the Part 66 exams in the UK via the CAA. I already have Canadian AME M1 & M2, and FAA A&P licenses. I hope to have these exams complete before the end of the year. I have not seen anything that states that it won't be an EASA part 66 license, only that:

"EU exit
Please note that, in the event of UK participation in EASA and mutual recognition of licences and certificates ceasing, some CAA website content and application forms may continue to carry the EASA logo or reference the EU or EASA rather than the UK CAA in the short term. These will be updated in due course following the outcome of the transition period negotiations on the long-term aviation relationship between the UK and the EU. In the meantime, the guidance provided and the application forms accessed via the CAA website portal will continue to be valid."

I have read other places that nothing will change until 31 Dec 2020 and therefore a license issued in the UK will still be an EASA part 66. Does anyone know if this is still true?

Is there an easier place to write the exams that I won't need to worry about having to convert or write a different license again? I'm a bit concerned as this covid-19 issue has caused some concerns with how long travel will be restricted making it difficult for me to complete the license before the door closes.
rwm is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2020, 18:32
  #731 (permalink)  
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: South of England
Posts: 5
rwm - You seem to have missed the fundamemtal point here. An EASA licence is only an EASA licence if it is issued and administered by the competent authority of a Member State. The UK government has said that the UK CAA will cease to be a part of the EASA system in December. That will mean that every licence that the CAA HAS EVER ISSUED WILL CEASE TO BE A VALID EASA LICENCE on that date. It makes no difference what it says on the licence, it will not be valid for working on EASA aircraft, any more than a licence issued by Russia, Australia, or the USA with "EASA" printed on it would be an EASA licence.
If you get an EASA Part 66 licence (or a Part-FCLpilot licence) issued by the CAA before it leaves EASA you will be an "existing holder of a UK issued EASA licence". The only way to preserve the EU privileges of an EASA licence issued by the UK CAA is to have it reissued by another EASA State before it ceases to be a valid EASA licence. That is why there is so much stuff on the CAA website telling people how to move their licences to other countries - in the jargon 'change the State of Licence Issue (SOLI)"
On the CAA website is a section specific to Brexit -
i.e. The page 'Our-work - About-us - Brexit'
Halfway down that page there is a bullet point which reads:
  • UK-issued licences and approvals (issued when the UK was an EASA member) will continue to have validity under UK law but only those contained in EU Regulation 2019/494 will continue to have validity within the EU system, as defined by that regulation.
If you look up EU Regulation 2019/494 you will find that in the Annex to the Regulation it lists the UK issued licences and approvals that will remain valid for a limited period. If you refer to that Annex you will find that it DOES NOT include Part 66 licences nor does it include Part-FCL pilot licences. They will all cease to be valid in the EU.
That is why thousands of UK licensed pilots and engineers have made sure they have had their UK EASA licences re-issued by other countries - such as the Republic of Ireland and Austria (because Easyjet is changing from a British to an Austrian airline because of Brexit).
That same page on the CAA website says:
  • All licences issued by the CAA under EU legislation, and all type approval certificates and third country approvals issued by EASA under EU legislation, will continue to have validity under UK law, provided they were effective immediately before 1 January 2021.
This is consistent with the reality that an EASA Part 66 licence issued by the UK CAA will become a UK national licence, still valid for G registered aircraft, but ONLY valid for G registered aircraft. These licences will not be valid for aircraft registered outside the UK unless other countries sign new agreements to make UK national licences valid for aircraft on their registers. Probably not a priority for anyone in the current crisis.
The advice is simple (and you will find it implied on the UK CAA website if you look hard enough).
If you want to work on or fly aircraft that are registered in EASA Member States after this year, get yourself a licence issued by an EU Member State, not the UK CAA.

W Smith is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2020, 21:58
  #732 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: A Gaelic Country
Posts: 0

Sorry that an exercise in Democracy should upset you so.

Yep. Consequences. Big Boys Rules.

For where I live...may be a moot point. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

In any case, my FI work is on G registered aircraft.

Red Dragon Flyer: train and get examined in non-UK EU States.

Curious though. All this talk of “if no deal” no UK licensed pilot can fly in EU countries begs the question: and what of EASA licensed pilots flying in the UK?

Last edited by covec; 4th Apr 2020 at 22:11.
covec is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.