Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

UK HEMS Pilot Pay

Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

UK HEMS Pilot Pay

Old 12th Nov 2019, 12:20
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Surrey
Posts: 6
UK HEMS Pilot Pay

Looks like the shortage of pilots is being felt in the UK. Babcock Onshore now offering up to £80k according to their Linkedin page, although no mention on how long you have to serve to get that. I wonder if the other big UK operator will follow suit?
WhirlyHEMS is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2019, 19:09
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Spain
Posts: 6
Do you have a Link?
USL-Toad is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2019, 19:46
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Warrington, UK
Posts: 3,490
Do you have a Link?
https://www.linkedin.com/company/bab...ational-group/
MightyGem is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2019, 20:24
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 2,786
Bravo73 is online now  
Old 13th Nov 2019, 06:42
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Norway
Age: 37
Posts: 24
With the cost of getting an IR in Europe, especially if you need ME, I have always wondered how they are able to get pilots in the UK that can afford earning as little as they do.
TomAndreas-NOR is offline  
Old 13th Nov 2019, 09:59
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Blue planet
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by WhirlyHEMS View Post
Looks like the shortage of pilots is being felt in the UK. Babcock Onshore now offering up to £80k according to their Linkedin page, although no mention on how long you have to serve to get that. I wonder if the other big UK operator will follow suit?
I´m sure this numbers are not for a line pilot.

The value for a line pilot is around 60k, maybe some more for a touring pilot.

This numbers maybe.....and only maybe for a TRE on both types Babcock flies.

Not everything that shines is gold, and with Babcock there´s a lot of shinning at first glance........

Happy landings

berlioz is offline  
Old 13th Nov 2019, 13:23
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 330
Originally Posted by berlioz View Post
I´m sure this numbers are not for a line pilot.

The value for a line pilot is around 60k, maybe some more for a touring pilot.

This numbers maybe.....and only maybe for a TRE on both types Babcock flies.

Not everything that shines is gold, and with Babcock there´s a lot of shinning at first glance........

Happy landings
Incorrect...
helicrazi is offline  
Old 13th Nov 2019, 14:22
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 2,786
Originally Posted by TomAndreas-NOR View Post
With the cost of getting an IR in Europe, especially if you need ME, I have always wondered how they are able to get pilots in the UK that can afford earning as little as they do.
BAS (& NPAS) have relied for a long time on some of their pilots’ salaries being topped up by a UK military pension. That particular pool of labour must be running very low now.
Bravo73 is online now  
Old 13th Nov 2019, 14:47
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Blue planet
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by helicrazi View Post
Incorrect...
Then... can you share some light on the subject?

Safe landings
berlioz is offline  
Old 14th Nov 2019, 21:08
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Europe
Posts: 96
How many hours a year could HEMS/Air Ambulance co-pilots expect to be flying? Children's Air Ambulance in Doncaster/Kents, surrey sussex HEMS etc.
Just out of curiosity
ApolloHeli is online now  
Old 15th Nov 2019, 07:07
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 138
All depends on the qualification of the P1. I know of copilots getting very irate as they cannot log time due to the P1 not having an ATPL. They fly as technical crew. But to answer your question, ~ 200.

LZ
Hot_LZ is online now  
Old 16th Nov 2019, 09:23
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 61
Posts: 218
Whate ever a HEMS pilot is payed in my opinion it is just not enough. What a wonderful job the whole HEMS crew do.
helipixman is offline  
Old 16th Nov 2019, 15:30
  #13 (permalink)  

Avoid imitations
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Posts: 12,727
Originally Posted by Hot_LZ View Post
All depends on the qualification of the P1. I know of copilots getting very irate as they cannot log time due to the P1 not having an ATPL. They fly as technical crew. But to answer your question, ~ 200.

LZ
There's nothing to prevent them logging the time, but it can't be counted for the purposes of a qualification.

ShyTorque is offline  
Old 16th Nov 2019, 16:58
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wherever I lay my hat
Age: 42
Posts: 372
Originally Posted by ShyTorque View Post
There's nothing to prevent them logging the time, but it can't be counted for the purposes of a qualification.
..or as total time since you can't log P2 in single pilot ops. Which does beg the question why two people..
rudestuff is offline  
Old 16th Nov 2019, 17:17
  #15 (permalink)  

Avoid imitations
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Posts: 12,727
This "multi crew or not" is an anomaly. Only the chap who signed for the aircraft can officially "use" the hours, but if there were an accident caused by pilot error, it's likely that the authority would pin blame on both pilots.
ShyTorque is offline  
Old 16th Nov 2019, 22:40
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 138
Originally Posted by ShyTorque View Post
There's nothing to prevent them logging the time, but it can't be counted for the purposes of a qualification.
Absolute bollocks. The pilot has to abide by the Ops manual he is working to. If it states that it is a multi crew operation then the P1 must have an ATPL and the crew must be correctly qualified as per the authorisation granted by the authority. If these conditions aren’t met and it’s a single pilot operation with a TC, it matters not whether it’s a CPL holder or a paramedic sat in the LHS. It cannot be logged.

LZ
Hot_LZ is online now  
Old 17th Nov 2019, 06:21
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 12
I fly as P2 in a EC135, HEMS. My rating is 135 MP IR, done MCC, the ops manual states the operation is multi-pilot, and I do my OPCs and Linechecks from the left seat in a multicrew environment.
Chorbington is offline  
Old 17th Nov 2019, 07:19
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: On the green bit near the blue wobbly stuff
Posts: 622
Originally Posted by rudestuff View Post
..or as total time since you can't log P2 in single pilot ops. Which does beg the question why two people..
Creating an ad-hoc quasi multi-pilot operation by using 2 x SP qualified pilots is a very dangerous road to go down. If the operation needs two pilots for safety, then it should have 2 properly qualified MP ops pilots, ( as per what Chorbington describes below) instead of looking for ways to bend the rules!
Non-PC Plod is offline  
Old 17th Nov 2019, 07:53
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: uk
Posts: 1,637
Originally Posted by Non-PC Plod View Post
Creating an ad-hoc quasi multi-pilot operation by using 2 x SP qualified pilots is a very dangerous road to go down. If the operation needs two pilots for safety, then it should have 2 properly qualified MP ops pilots, ( as per what Chorbington describes below) instead of looking for ways to bend the rules!

couldn't agree more. You either do it properly multi-crew or not at all.
helimutt is offline  
Old 17th Nov 2019, 09:04
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Used to be God's own County
Posts: 1,586
Hot LZ
”The times they are a changin”
I didn’t pay too much attention to the blurb at the time (as irrelevant in my case) but I believe it was announced that 2 CPL(H) pilots can now fly as Multi-crew on CAT - as long as various exams passed, boxes ticked etc
EESDL is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.