Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

First German NH90 Sea Lion delivered

Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

First German NH90 Sea Lion delivered

Old 24th Oct 2019, 14:19
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Alps
Posts: 2,095
First German NH90 Sea Lion delivered

Airbus Helicopters hands over the first NH90 Sea Lion to the Bundeswehr , for use in their Marineflieger

https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/pres...ed-forces.html

chopper2004 is offline  
Old 25th Oct 2019, 04:23
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Australia
Age: 56
Posts: 245
See if the German Navy has as much fun with the NH-90 as the Netherlands and Norway......
Blackhawk9 is offline  
Old 25th Oct 2019, 06:13
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: In the gutter..........
Posts: 98
Originally Posted by Blackhawk9 View Post
See if the German Navy has as much fun with the NH-90 as the Netherlands and Norway......
The first one didn't fare too well in the initial shipborne trials as I seem to recall?
pants on fire... is offline  
Old 25th Oct 2019, 09:25
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: attitude is nominal
Posts: 633
It "only" got handed over to BAAINBw, the german MOD's procurement agency, for testing and certification, not to Bundeswehr itself yet.
Less Hair is online now  
Old 25th Oct 2019, 16:30
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Near the surface
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by Blackhawk9 View Post
See if the German Navy has as much fun with the NH-90 as the Netherlands and Norway......
I have seen promising results from the Dutchies, deployments ranging from the Caribbean to NATO-led mission in the past years. As I recall, the machine is hugely successful in its counter drugs operations in the Caribbean. Hence, the sophisticated autopilot, that a USCG Dauphin or British Lynx is lacking enables good night operability. During the NATO missions, they frequently deployed with a full ASW kit.
The Nordmenn, on the other hand. It's not only their NH-90 but also their SAR Merlin. It seems that they are great in introducing electrical driving, but implementing helicopters, on the contrary, is a task which the Norwegians does not seem fit for.

On topic: I believe the Germans have made the right bet this time. This NFH is incomparable with the TTH. Therefore, I do not expect significant challenges in implementing the type. Nonetheless, if I had the money, I would invest in a company producing NH-90 spare parts. That still seems to be an issue for every nation participating in the project.
breakdip is offline  
Old 25th Oct 2019, 22:08
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Beyond the black stump!
Posts: 1,197
A programme summary. https://www.helicopter-industry.com/...able-platform/

I'm not really up to speed on the corrosion issues mentioned in the above article, but a bit more on here. https://www.helicopter-industry.com/...able-platform/

And more generally across the entire French military helicopter fleet. https://www.defensenews.com/air/2017...-on-the-fleet/

What are the current NH-90 availability rates and the State of the Platform?
Cyclic Hotline is offline  
Old 26th Oct 2019, 09:44
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: attitude is nominal
Posts: 633
It should have had time to mature. The next german navy version will be the "Sea Tiger" as a (bigger) Lynx successor standard equipped with torpedoes and sonar and afterwards possibly some special forces version for KSK. German navy is upsizing it's helo decks at the same time with new vessels and older smaller ones being retired.
Less Hair is online now  
Old 26th Oct 2019, 20:55
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Uk
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by Less Hair View Post
It should have had time to mature. The next german navy version will be the "Sea Tiger" as a (bigger) Lynx successor standard equipped with torpedoes and sonar and afterwards possibly some special forces version for KSK. German navy is upsizing it's helo decks at the same time with new vessels and older smaller ones being retired.
“it should had have time to mature” !! Seriously!! 🤦*♂️ When was first flight ... 1995? Then takes 12 years to introduce to Ops... another 12 years in and we’re still in “teething” territory. If this was a dog it’d been shot long ago. Problem is too much money has gone into it to call it a lemon.
dingo9 is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2019, 08:08
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: After all, what’s more important than proving to someone on the internet that they’re wrong? - Manson
Posts: 1,509
NH as in "No Hope"?

I have seen parts of the production line and it is just a neverending "jobs for the boys". Even the slightest change or improvement takes literally years to implement.

45-50,000,000.00 EUR a piece?
RVDT is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2019, 23:07
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PLanet Earth
Posts: 801
Originally Posted by RVDT View Post
45-50,000,000.00 EUR a piece?
That's nothing compared to the 270.000.000+ the Canadians are paying for each of their CH-148.
Now that's expensive!
henra is offline  
Old 28th Oct 2019, 21:41
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CYQS
Age: 44
Posts: 301
Originally Posted by dingo9 View Post
If this was a dog it’d been shot long ago.
If this was a dog it would have died of natural causes long ago...

It's absurd to keep that going. The swedes and danes did it right with the Blackhawk/Seahawk series.

Norway seem to be getting along on the AW101 now, Mostly training problems for them now.
Winnie is offline  
Old 29th Oct 2019, 10:13
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Near the surface
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by dingo9
If this was a dog it’d been shot long ago.
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
It's absurd to keep that going. The swedes and danes did it right with the Blackhawk/Seahawk series.
The Swedes: Why did they purchase the Blackhawk? Troop transport in Afghanistan. I reckon a frigate helicopter or land-based ASW-helicopter is not used for that intent and theatre. The Blackhawk is used in a completely different role than the NH90 was ever intended to do.
The Danes: What do you do when you have waited a little too long with upgrading your existing platform? Right, buy it off the shelve.

Believe me, and I am a bit biased (I know), but we try to compare helicopters here. Purchasing an aircraft is left to the policymakers. Hence, they do not always approach the procurement rationally and progressively, but more or less what seems right at that particular moment considering the temperature of the political arena.
Nevertheless, I do believe that Merlin, NH90 and Seahawk Romeo models are all very capable helicopters. We must not forget that they all operate in their niche market. None of these is comparable; however, we do try to convince ourselves that they are. In my honest opinion, moving from a Lynx/Seaking to an NFH90 or Merlin I call progression/upgrade (Belgians, British, Germans, Dutch, French, Italians, Swedes, Norwegians), moving from a Lynx to another Lynx or Seahawk Romeo is maintaining status quo (Danes and also the British). I have operated alongside all of these platforms quite recently, and only the NFH90 and Merlin did where they were designed for - proper ASuW/ASW.

On a less serious note, I continue to invite you both to start an enterprise with me focussing on NH90 spare-parts.
breakdip is offline  
Old 29th Oct 2019, 10:59
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sweden
Age: 52
Posts: 156
Originally Posted by breakdip View Post
On a less serious note, I continue to invite you both to start an enterprise with me focussing on NH90 spare-parts.
Count mee in!

We sell the spare parts for *only* 80% of the NHI price and shorten delivery time for parts to only 6-12 months.
AAKEE is offline  
Old 30th Oct 2019, 21:39
  #14 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Alps
Posts: 2,095
Originally Posted by breakdip View Post
The Swedes: Why did they purchase the Blackhawk? Troop transport in Afghanistan. I reckon a frigate helicopter or land-based ASW-helicopter is not used for that intent and theatre. The Blackhawk is used in a completely different role than the NH90 was ever intended to do.
The Danes: What do you do when you have waited a little too long with upgrading your existing platform? Right, buy it off the shelve.

Believe me, and I am a bit biased (I know), but we try to compare helicopters here. Purchasing an aircraft is left to the policymakers. Hence, they do not always approach the procurement rationally and progressively, but more or less what seems right at that particular moment considering the temperature of the political arena.
Nevertheless, I do believe that Merlin, NH90 and Seahawk Romeo models are all very capable helicopters. We must not forget that they all operate in their niche market. None of these is comparable; however, we do try to convince ourselves that they are. In my honest opinion, moving from a Lynx/Seaking to an NFH90 or Merlin I call progression/upgrade (Belgians, British, Germans, Dutch, French, Italians, Swedes, Norwegians), moving from a Lynx to another Lynx or Seahawk Romeo is maintaining status quo (Danes and also the British). I have operated alongside all of these platforms quite recently, and only the NFH90 and Merlin did where they were designed for - proper ASuW/ASW.

On a less serious note, I continue to invite you both to start an enterprise with me focussing on NH90 spare-parts.
Also w.r.t replacement of the Sea Lynx Mk 88, L-M offered Romeo Hawk, Leoanrdo offered AW159 (pair of Wildcat assigned to one of their frigates in 2016/2017).

As of now it be one single platform replacing two.

Laughingly looking at alternate universe, what if we bought the SH-60B/F or Romeo Hawk... instead of Merlin....food for thought..

cheers
chopper2004 is offline  
Old 28th Nov 2019, 20:54
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Germany
Age: 49
Posts: 645
New NH 90 stays on ground


https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/mar...auber-101.html

Short summary:
Airbus Helicopters screwed up again. The Maintenance Manuals delivered with the first Sea Lions seem to be a bit incomplete.
At least 150 „anomalies“ were found in the technical documentation such as a missing description on what grease to use for certain moving parts and missing servicing intervals.
Airbus „PROMISED“ improvement.
Spunk is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.