PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First German NH90 Sea Lion delivered
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2019, 15:30
breakdip

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blackhawk9
See if the German Navy has as much fun with the NH-90 as the Netherlands and Norway......
I have seen promising results from the Dutchies, deployments ranging from the Caribbean to NATO-led mission in the past years. As I recall, the machine is hugely successful in its counter drugs operations in the Caribbean. Hence, the sophisticated autopilot, that a USCG Dauphin or British Lynx is lacking enables good night operability. During the NATO missions, they frequently deployed with a full ASW kit.
The Nordmenn, on the other hand. It's not only their NH-90 but also their SAR Merlin. It seems that they are great in introducing electrical driving, but implementing helicopters, on the contrary, is a task which the Norwegians does not seem fit for.

On topic: I believe the Germans have made the right bet this time. This NFH is incomparable with the TTH. Therefore, I do not expect significant challenges in implementing the type. Nonetheless, if I had the money, I would invest in a company producing NH-90 spare parts. That still seems to be an issue for every nation participating in the project.