Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >


Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them


Old 17th Jun 2013, 14:33
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Age: 55
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know where in Europe I could obtain a PPL for a gyrocopter? Most (or all) PPL's are readily convertible back in the USA (where I am from)? I am living in Europe for the next 3 years and my Sportcopter gyro is sitting idle back in the USA. .

Second question: My gyro is "N" registered in the USA. I would like to fly it/keep it in Spain because of space, weather, friends, etc (I live in Germany though). So, would want to ship it over (or fly it for 2 months....lol) ----any idea what may be involved???

Thank you...
alaskabushpilot is offline  
Old 17th Jun 2013, 16:07
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Age: 58
Posts: 1,904
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't have specifics at hand but look into Austria and Hungary. Will post latter once I recover my research documents on that very subject.
atakacs is offline  
Old 17th Jun 2013, 16:35
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 1,120
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
As I understand things Gyroplanes are still dealt with on a country by country basis. Therefore being in Spain or Germany will a difference to you as currently there is no EASA gyroplane licence.
Pittsextra is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2013, 22:43
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: UK
Age: 70
Posts: 1,364
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pitts Extra is correct. Each country in Europe does its own thing, and so far, EASA ignores them. Gyro licences are not transferable between countries. Gyros are banned in some countries.

Gyros don't have C of As, so flight into a country other than that of registration can be a headache. Not sure whether you would be allowed to fly your N gyro in Spain.

Sounds like you need the Spanish Licence. I am not familiar with Spanish rules.

Last edited by Helinut; 18th Jun 2013 at 22:45.
Helinut is offline  
Old 23rd Jun 2013, 15:25
  #5 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Thaïland
Age: 67
Posts: 183
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In France, gyro's are ULM : Ultra light motorised If under 450 kilos MTOW and so,
NO PPL License, only Ultra light...
BOBAKAT is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2013, 12:55
  #6 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Age: 55
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I appreciate all your input....thank you!
alaskabushpilot is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.