Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies)
Reload this Page >

Leading Edge LEAP+FI, & TUI UK Pilot Cadet Programmes

Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Leading Edge LEAP+FI, & TUI UK Pilot Cadet Programmes

Old 15th Dec 2022, 08:24
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: South Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leading Edge LEAP+FI, & TUI UK Pilot Cadet Programmes

Hey all,

Figured I'd start a thread on these two programmes as I've only been able to find a few mentions of the LEAP+FI one so far.

Has anyone applied for either of these programmes yet?

LEAP+FI is offering a full ride, minus day to day living expenses, with a 2 year bond as an FI with them after training. You'd end up with ATPL(f) + FI ratings.
TUI UK to cover training fees upfront, with repayments made from salary over a number of years. MPL here though. Cadet just needs to cover D2D expenses same as above.

I've gone for both, and whilst i'd prefer to end up with an ATPL(f), for the flexibility, TUI's offer also looks good considering it's a direct route the RH seat of a 737. Just consious of the usual concerns around MPL routes and just how quickly you'll be dropped when sh*t hit's the fan... support Leading Edge would do the same though if things got tough for them...?
Blakey0204 is offline  
Old 15th Dec 2022, 10:58
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: UK
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also applied for both, unfortunately got rejected after aptitude testing for Leading Edge which doesn't leave me confident with my chances for Tui.

I think both offers are fantastic for talented people who may not have otherwise considered a career in piloting due to financial factors. It should bring plenty of fantastic new people into the industry so, good luck to all who have applied.

Looks like its back to saving up for me .
Yamarrie is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2022, 09:53
  #3 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: South Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found the TUI tests harder than the Leading Edge ones. Probably because I was used to the Cut-e style questions more.

Thought i'd messed up the TUI maths test, I managed to get answers that weren't options a couple of times lol. Even took down notes on the questions so I could redo them again later in my own time and I've still not figured them out. (Volume/Volume should be pretty damn easy lol not idea what i'm messing up there!)

Got through to the Assessment Centre with Leading Edge on the 20th Dec, and was invited to do my one-way interview with TUI yesterday, so will see how those go!
Blakey0204 is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2022, 23:04
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: UK
Posts: 48
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blakey0204 View Post
I found the TUI tests harder than the Leading Edge ones. Probably because I was used to the Cut-e style questions more.

Thought i'd messed up the TUI maths test, I managed to get answers that weren't options a couple of times lol. Even took down notes on the questions so I could redo them again later in my own time and I've still not figured them out. (Volume/Volume should be pretty damn easy lol not idea what i'm messing up there!)

Got through to the Assessment Centre with Leading Edge on the 20th Dec, and was invited to do my one-way interview with TUI yesterday, so will see how those go!
I was the same with the maths test. Took around 40 minutes and quite a few times the answer I was getting was slightly off from any of the options. Thought I had failed because of it. I'm sure there are a few thousand of us at least but worth a try anyway!
SoftwareDev is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2022, 00:34
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: UK
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just did the TUI assessments, they were actually quite tricky I thought! Some of the logical reasoning questions were hard to get your head around.
Taco Duck is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2022, 07:41
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SoftwareDev View Post
I was the same with the maths test. Took around 40 minutes and quite a few times the answer I was getting was slightly off from any of the options. Thought I had failed because of it. I'm sure there are a few thousand of us at least but worth a try anyway!
Is it a maths test or numerical reasoning (interpreting graphs etc)? The invite says the latter but sounds like it might be a bit of both?
lpfflyer is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2022, 11:45
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Forest
Posts: 136
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've applied to TUI, don't think I've got a cats hope in hell of even getting past the online tests, particuarly at my age I expect i'd get binned as soon as a human looks at my application, but if you don't try you don't know. The logical reasoning ones I thought some were ridiculous, just a load of random shapes with no pattern or symmetry to pick up on. Who knows? Did everyone else who's done the test get the online interview invite straight away?
AeroSpark is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2022, 15:39
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: UK
Posts: 48
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CV, tests and digital interview stages are likely all automated. If you pass a threshold for the tests, you get the digital interview. I'd bet there is also a system that quickly scans your CV for key words before inviting for tests. I just completed the videos and doubt I will be successful. I'm used to conversational video interviews for software jobs and this felt quite robotic in comparison. I'm sure the recruitment team get a giggle from them
SoftwareDev is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2022, 22:54
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: UK
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the tests are all automated until you complete the video interview. Just finished the videos then, went ok so now it's just a waiting game! Good luck everyone who applies
Taco Duck is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2022, 20:45
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: UK
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Taco Duck View Post
I think the tests are all automated until you complete the video interview. Just finished the videos then, went ok so now it's just a waiting game! Good luck everyone who applies
Me too, never done well with these types logical reasoning tests, but apparently I passed as I managed to get the video interviews done and dusted straight after!

Good luck all
cede is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2022, 14:25
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Response to Application

Hey all,

How long after submitting your application did it take for you to hear back?

Many thanks!

FuturePilot_123 is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2022, 14:29
  #12 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: South Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FuturePilot_123 View Post
Hey all,

How long after submitting your application did it take for you to hear back?

Many thanks!
For LE or TUI?

TUI, pretty much instantly after applying I was invited to complete the tests. I got the invite for the video interview the day after completing the tests.

For LE, I got the email to complete the tests straight away, and then the invite to the Assessment day about a day or so after completing the tests. I attended their open day on the 10th Dec, and a few others hadn't got an invite for an Assessment Day yet, even though they'd completed the tests at a similar point in time to me... Read into that what you will.

Blakey0204 is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2022, 14:42
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blakey0204 View Post
For LE or TUI?

TUI, pretty much instantly after applying I was invited to complete the tests. I got the invite for the video interview the day after completing the tests.

For LE, I got the email to complete the tests straight away, and then the invite to the Assessment day about a day or so after completing the tests. I attended their open day on the 10th Dec, and a few others hadn't got an invite for an Assessment Day yet, even though they'd completed the tests at a similar point in time to me... Read into that what you will.
TUI - thatís interesting. I submitted mine mid last week but not heard anything.
FuturePilot_123 is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2022, 14:43
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: London
Posts: 32
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone not got through to the video interview yet after completing the initial TUI tests
Arena_33 is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2022, 14:57
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: UK
Posts: 48
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The email about doing the tests mentioned you would get feedback within 24 hours? I didn't get any but did get the digital video interview round.
I have been part of the recruitment process for a similar program that aimed at getting people into the software industry. We got thousands of applicants and the system automatically throttled applicants e.g. some automatically got through to the next round while some had to wait a few days. That was to reduce the amount of interviews and CVs we had backing up to review. It was like a type of batching - the first 'batch' of applicants got send through to the video round, then we reviewed and invited to an assessment day. Then the second 'batch' of applicants got picked/got invites sent out for tests and videos, then invited to a second assessment day. Successfull candidates got picked from each. We also contacted unsuccessful guys we really liked when more capacity opened up a few months later.
It ultimately ended up being the luck of the draw for those who got hired out of the thousands of applicants. I can imagine it's a similar situation with TUI. I know I did not do well in the tests but I'm just treating that as a lesson that I need to practise those as I go down the modular path and eventually apply to roles. Hopefully a high demand for this will push more airlines to start similar programs. A salary, even minimum wage, would really open this to anyone. With the TUI program you basically need 19 months of spare cash.
SoftwareDev is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2022, 14:59
  #16 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: South Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arena_33 View Post
Has anyone not got through to the video interview yet after completing the initial TUI tests
Selfishly - I hope so...

Realistically - I think it's a straight forward automatic check that says "completed tests" = "send video interview invite" - I'll be shocked if the test results are calculated and invites sent to only those above "x%". Not least because there's no doubt in my mind I tanked a few of those maths questions!
Blakey0204 is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2022, 15:02
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I applied to the Aer Lingus Cadet Programme a few years ago and made it all the way to the face to face interview stage - but didnít hear back for at least a month after applying.

Do many of you have any experience in an aircraft? I.e. with a PPL? (Not that it is required for this programme).
FuturePilot_123 is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2022, 15:04
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SoftwareDev View Post
The email about doing the tests mentioned you would get feedback within 24 hours? I didn't get any but did get the digital video interview round.
I have been part of the recruitment process for a similar program that aimed at getting people into the software industry. We got thousands of applicants and the system automatically throttled applicants e.g. some automatically got through to the next round while some had to wait a few days. That was to reduce the amount of interviews and CVs we had backing up to review. It was like a type of batching - the first 'batch' of applicants got send through to the video round, then we reviewed and invited to an assessment day. Then the second 'batch' of applicants got picked/got invites sent out for tests and videos, then invited to a second assessment day. Successfull candidates got picked from each. We also contacted unsuccessful guys we really liked when more capacity opened up a few months later.
It ultimately ended up being the luck of the draw for those who got hired out of the thousands of applicants. I can imagine it's a similar situation with TUI. I know I did not do well in the tests but I'm just treating that as a lesson that I need to practise those as I go down the modular path and eventually apply to roles. Hopefully a high demand for this will push more airlines to start similar programs. A salary, even minimum wage, would really open this to anyone. With the TUI program you basically need 19 months of spare cash.
Thanks for the re-assurance! Fingers crossed.

Were the TUI aptitude tests difficult?
FuturePilot_123 is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2022, 15:11
  #19 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: South Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FuturePilot_123 View Post
I applied to the Aer Lingus Cadet Programme a few years ago and made it all the way to the face to face interview stage - but didnít hear back for at least a month after applying.

Do many of you have any experience in an aircraft? I.e. with a PPL? (Not that it is required for this programme).
14 hours in a C152... a broken wrist brought me to a stop and COVID hammered the nail into the coffin lol
Blakey0204 is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2022, 15:15
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wandsworth
Posts: 182
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blakey0204 View Post
Selfishly - I hope so...

Realistically - I think it's a straight forward automatic check that says "completed tests" = "send video interview invite" - I'll be shocked if the test results are calculated and invites sent to only those above "x%". Not least because there's no doubt in my mind I tanked a few of those maths questions!
There is definitely some pass mark on the tests as I'm aware at least one social media post of someone failing.
planesandthings is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.