Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies)
Reload this Page >

British citizen hour building in Arizona with an Austrian Licence.

Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

British citizen hour building in Arizona with an Austrian Licence.

Old 14th Feb 2020, 20:00
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Norwich
Posts: 1
British citizen hour building in Arizona with an Austrian Licence.

Evening everyone.

This is my first time posting on here, so I'm not 100% sure if this is the correct forum for this post. Apologies if it is.

Basically I'm looking to visit Arizona later this year to begin the hour building part of my modular course, and from what I've been told and read, I understand that I have to apply for the FAA form "AC 8060-71 - Verification of authenticity of foreign license and medical certification" and then email to the FAA. However it states on the FAA Airmen Certification webpage in a paragraph near the bottom that If you are Airmen from United Kingdom that you have to apply to the CAA first. I assume this is to allow permission for my details to be provided to the FAA.

However, I may have a slight issue on this process. Like so many on here and due to Brexit, I transferred my licence authority to Austro Control, so I now have an Austrian licence and medical but reside and live in United Kingdom. Can anyone advise me or have any information on whether you think there will be issues for the FAA to issue me with a "letter of authenticity" if my licence authority (Austrian) is different from the country I was born and live in (United Kingdom).

Modular_Pilot is offline  
Old 14th Feb 2020, 23:53
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Leon, Spain
Posts: 19
Good evening

i might be wrong, but if you were trying todo the opposite... converting a FAA PPL license to EASA, you must hold at least 100 hours... does it really make business sense to go to the US for those reduced number of hours?

eager to learn why

best regards
flybyschool is offline  
Old 15th Feb 2020, 00:33
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hotel this week, hotel next week, home whenever...
Posts: 1,320
If you’re just looking to hour build in the US and keep your EASA licence then you’re looking at a 61.75 “piggy back” FAA certificate.

The process is as you describe, in that Austro will have a similar form to the U.K. CAA which should be completed and returned to them. The FAA will then check your “credentials” and advise that everything is OK or not. That form allows Austro Control to release personal information about your qualifications and licences you hold to the FAA.

You then travel to the US and do a check ride and off you go. The school your renting from may have an internal “test paper” about the aircraft you intend to rent but as far as I recall there is no FAA exam as your not doing a standalone FAA Certificate for ASEL. They should be able to advise better than I on what the actual process is at this time.

As far as I know, there is no TSA approval required if you’re not undergoing any training but that may have changed.
Duchess_Driver is offline  
Old 15th Feb 2020, 00:55
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Augusta, Georgia, USA (back from Germany again)
Posts: 151
If Austro Control "controls" your license, then they would be the one to provide verification to the FAA. (Admit that it's an assumption, but if the CAA no longer "owns" it they can certainly not certify its validity.)

Take advantage of opportunities to fly some long trips. If there is someone in a similar situation there, consider flying together. Not in the "safety pilot" sense where EASA doesn't let both log the time, but instead of flying out 100 miles and back, fly 200 miles and the swap seats for the return. Much more experience for both of you. Right seat could handle nav and radio. You will both benefit from the time.

Where will you be in Arizona? There's some great gliding possible there. (In the EASA license realm I think you can only count some fraction of hours.)

Serious suggestion - depending on how long you will be there take a check ride for a "real" private certificate or get a commercial certificate. It will then make you independent of the 61.75 piggy back license. 61.75 is only valid while the underlying foreign license remains valid. If you were to change SOLI again the FAA certificate would no long be usable...

Good luck and fly safely!
LTCTerry is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.