Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Post-Brexit: Austro or CAA?

Old 3rd Feb 2020, 17:20
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 35
Posts: 47
Post-Brexit: Austro or CAA?

I am sure this has been asked plenty of times before but the search functions seems to have failed me.

I am about to sit my Mod 1 ATPL exams but I am still yet to decide on UK CAA or Austro. I was hoping that the situation would become clearer on 31 Jan 20 but if anything, the water has become event muddier with the CAA warning of a future outside of EASA.

I am in my mid 30s and I am looking at a second career as a commercial pilot. If this fails, I still have my previous career to fall back on. I plan to only be based in the UK and so the ability to work overseas with my licence is not important. I plan to complete my exams by Summer 21 and complete the remaining practical elements by Easter 22 which is when I am due to retire from my current career.

Therefore, I am struggling to decide between doing my ATPL exams with Austro or UK CAA:

Austro: There is risk that the CAA will leave EASA on Jan 21 and not rejoin meaning I would have to redo my ATPLs with the CAA if used Austro Control

UK CAA: There is risk that the UK leaves and rejoins EASA and the validity of ATPLs take with the CAA in the non-EASA interim period could come into question when applying for an EASA CPL.

So given we are now out of the EU and the CAA has published some advice (albeit scant), would people in my shoes do their exams with Austro Control or UK CAA?

4535jacks is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2020, 07:54
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: England
Posts: 1,031
CAA on record as accepting training credits from EASA countries for 2 years post brexit.
Capt Pit Bull is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2020, 08:18
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Italy
Age: 31
Posts: 184
You probably won't have the right to work in the EU from next year on, so I think UK exams would be more useful to you.
bulldog89 is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2020, 16:28
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Crawley
Age: 29
Posts: 15

Hi 4535Jacks,

Similar position to you but a couple of months ahead - I've taken Austro for MOD1 on the assurance that the UKCAA can use them to issue an EASA license if a deal is made or a UK license if it isn't - either way you've covered if you get you license in the next 2 years to fly either in the UK or the EU depending on where your CPL/IR get issued. The other upsides are cheaper (45 per exam) and the results are instantly available which can be a relief - some of the guys managed to get retakes in the same sitting though I believe Austro have said you cant do that as of end of Feb...

Side note, assume you are using BGS? My plan is similar to yours in that I don't really want to fly outside of the UK, but would rather instruct - especially Aeros/UPRT- interest to know where you're thinking of flying?
DoItForTheThrill is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2020, 16:58
  #5 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 35
Posts: 47
Thanks mate. You are correct about the recent change meaning no more same day resits under AustroControl. Also I am attracted to Austro because appeals are free rather than the 150 the CAA charges per appeal!!

My concern is whether I can complete the training in the next two years. I am due to finish my current job in Apr 22 and although I plan to complete MEIR and CPL before the end of 2021, work and family life can always get in the way......

Yes, I am with BGS
4535jacks is offline  
Old 28th Jul 2020, 17:03
  #6 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 7
I'm in exactly the same boat as you, and about to book my first exam sitting and unsure whether to go with Austro or UK. I only intend to work in the UK but you never know what the future holds and as mentioned above the UK CAA have stated that for 2 years (I think post Brexit) you can convert your EASA licence into a UK one, giving you both an EASA and UK licence. So on the face of it, it seems to be more beneficial to take that route, than to go down the UK route.

The challenge is to ensure that the school where you do your CPL/IR/FI course and exams are an EASA ATO. I've spoken to a couple of schools in the UK who said they're in the process of applying to become an EASA ATO post Brexit, but I also heard that the cost to do this is expensive so perhaps some UK schools won't bother. In any case I guess you could just go to Ireland or somewhere else in EASA land to complete the practical courses/exams.
Nineteen84 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.