PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Post-Brexit: Austro or CAA?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2020, 16:20
4535jacks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post-Brexit: Austro or CAA?

I am sure this has been asked plenty of times before but the search functions seems to have failed me.

I am about to sit my Mod 1 ATPL exams but I am still yet to decide on UK CAA or Austro. I was hoping that the situation would become clearer on 31 Jan 20 but if anything, the water has become event muddier with the CAA warning of a future outside of EASA.

I am in my mid 30s and I am looking at a second career as a commercial pilot. If this fails, I still have my previous career to fall back on. I plan to only be based in the UK and so the ability to work overseas with my licence is not important. I plan to complete my exams by Summer 21 and complete the remaining practical elements by Easter 22 which is when I am due to retire from my current career.

Therefore, I am struggling to decide between doing my ATPL exams with Austro or UK CAA:

Austro: There is risk that the CAA will leave EASA on Jan 21 and not rejoin meaning I would have to redo my ATPLs with the CAA if used Austro Control

UK CAA: There is risk that the UK leaves and rejoins EASA and the validity of ATPLs take with the CAA in the non-EASA interim period could come into question when applying for an EASA CPL.

So given we are now out of the EU and the CAA has published some advice (albeit scant), would people in my shoes do their exams with Austro Control or UK CAA?