Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Non-Airline Forums > Private Flying
Reload this Page >

Foreflight VS iFly

Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.

Foreflight VS iFly

Old 15th Apr 2019, 22:27
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: New York
Posts: 4
Foreflight VS iFly

I am a private pilot in the U.S. and am curious to what everyone's experiences and opinions are of these to EFB's.

I fly approximately 30-40 hrs per year and have not yet ventured more than 150 NM away from my home FBO. I do plan on taking my son to NC for a fishing trip and we would like to fly there. (NY0 - KMRH)

Thank you!
---Frank---
Frank Bellinger is offline  
Old 16th Apr 2019, 12:25
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lancashire & Florida
Posts: 107
Frank I can't comment on iFly as I haven't used it, but Foreflight has been my choice of EFB for my US flying for years, I don't have anything negative to say about it.
In the UK I use Sky Demon, which is also good, but I have to say Foreflight currently has the edge for me.
alland2012 is offline  
Old 16th Apr 2019, 14:03
  #3 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: New York
Posts: 4
Thanks for your opinion. I have used Foreflight in the past and have had no issues, however, after seeing a brief iFly demo at Sun n Fun this year, it seemed to be more "user friendly" AND have more useful options than foreflight...for the GA pilot.
Originally Posted by alland2012 View Post
Frank I can't comment on iFly as I haven't used it, but Foreflight has been my choice of EFB for my US flying for years, I don't have anything negative to say about it.
In the UK I use Sky Demon, which is also good, but I have to say Foreflight currently has the edge for me.
Frank Bellinger is offline  
Old 16th Apr 2019, 16:45
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: CYYC (Calgary)
Posts: 4,645
Three years ago, I used ForeFlight “in anger” for the first time on a trip to Oshkosh and back. 1000 miles each way.

The nav capabilities and the airport charts and information are marvelous but for me, the outstanding feature is the ability to display fuel prices on the map.

Those numbers dictated our fuel stops, often at little, deserted country airports with a few hangars and a self-service pump. We easily saved the cost of a ForeFlight subscription by avoiding FBOs.
India Four Two is online now  
Old 16th Apr 2019, 17:21
  #5 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: New York
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by India Four Two View Post
Three years ago, I used ForeFlight “in anger” for the first time on a trip to Oshkosh and back. 1000 miles each way.

The nav capabilities and the airport charts and information are marvelous but for me, the outstanding feature is the ability to display fuel prices on the map.

Those numbers dictated our fuel stops, often at little, deserted country airports with a few hangars and a self-service pump. We easily saved the cost of a ForeFlight subscription by avoiding FBOs.
Thanks for the input! That's a great feature...also offered by the iFly app. That's what I'm up against. The iFly app seems to have all of the features of the $199 Foreflight subscription...but for almost a third the price.
Frank Bellinger is offline  
Old 18th Apr 2019, 16:03
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Dorset, UK
Age: 60
Posts: 335
I recently flew to eastern mediterranean from UK in a light single. Foreflight was great for IFR flying across multiple borders. It's USA format does not always mesh exactly with Eurostuff but mostly this is FBO info, airfield opening times etc.

For VFR I still prefer Skydemon it has so many VFR friendly features, eg forecasts for alpine routes, FIS frequencies, easier to see the complex euro controlled airspace etc etc.
Romeo Tango is offline  
Old 18th Apr 2019, 16:22
  #7 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: New York
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by Romeo Tango View Post
I recently flew to eastern mediterranean from UK in a light single. Foreflight was great for IFR flying across multiple borders. It's USA format does not always mesh exactly with Eurostuff but mostly this is FBO info, airfield opening times etc.

For VFR I still prefer Skydemon it has so many VFR friendly features, eg forecasts for alpine routes, FIS frequencies, easier to see the complex euro controlled airspace etc etc.
Thanks Romeo Tango!
Frank Bellinger is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.