PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   PPRuNe Problems or Queries (https://www.pprune.org/pprune-problems-queries-140/)
-   -   Deletion of quote boxes? (https://www.pprune.org/pprune-problems-queries/637275-deletion-quote-boxes.html)

Uplinker 7th Dec 2020 12:58

Deletion of quote boxes?
 
Please could Pprune policy be explained.

I recently seem to be having quite a few quote boxes of just a few lines removed from my posts and replaced with the name of the poster I was quoting. Since there is no 'dear x' or 'Hi x', just the quotees name, it seems as if I am being rude, which is never my intention.

Other posters seem to be allowed to post quote boxes of many paragraphs, which spread over several pages.

I edit my quote boxes to remove superfluous content so they are as concise as possible, and only consist of a few lines. What am I doing wrong?

Saab Dastard 7th Dec 2020 14:28

Examples?

Are you inadvertently removing some of the Quote HTML tags when editing your quotes?

[QUOTE>] TEXT followed by [>/QUOTE] or [>QUOTE=Username;10942332] TEXT followed by [>/QUOTE] are always required for quoting previous text (note > inserted to prevent actual quotations).

jimjim1 8th Dec 2020 10:21


Originally Posted by Uplinker (Post 10942332)
I edit my quote boxes to remove superfluous content so they are as concise as possible, and only consist of a few lines.

There we go, hopefully.

Don't change anything inside the square brackets. The 8 digit number provides the little blue "View post" arrow.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune....866ecb4243.jpg

Uplinker 8th Dec 2020 17:08

Ah, a misunderstanding: this is a moderation question, not a formatting question - I know how to format quotes.


What I am questioning is that a post I have written incorporating a quote from another poster - and that I have seen successfully submitted and displayed on the thread, (so the formatting was correct) - is edited a few hours or a day later by the moderator?, who removes the quote box and leaves just the name of the quotee.

This has now happened a few times. Unfortunately I cannot provide examples because I did not copy the original posts. The post initially displays with the quote box but is later seen to have had just the quote box removed. Could this be some sort of glitch rather than moderation?

Senior Pilot 8th Dec 2020 19:04


Originally Posted by Uplinker (Post 10942332)
Please could Pprune policy be explained.

I recently seem to be having quite a few quote boxes of just a few lines removed from my posts and replaced with the name of the poster I was quoting. Since there is no 'dear x' or 'Hi x', just the quotees name, it seems as if I am being rude, which is never my intention.

Other posters seem to be allowed to post quote boxes of many paragraphs, which spread over several pages.

I edit my quote boxes to remove superfluous content so they are as concise as possible, and only consist of a few lines. What am I doing wrong?

Unless you can link to a specific post or posts, it is seriously too hard to look at this.

Iíve been back through two months of your posts and there is nothing that matches your complaint here, nor any record in the thread edit history (available to Mods) to indicate any editing/moderation of any of your posts other than by yourself.

PPRuNe Towers 11th Dec 2020 13:53

I happily delete quote boxes that simply repeat a post just above. Name of the poster referred to left in place.

These quotes are a waste of space and electrons.

Rob

awair 17th Dec 2020 11:53

Add me to the list, quote just disappeared between viewing pages:

https://www.pprune.org/middle-east/6...l#post10948904

awair 17th Dec 2020 11:59


Originally Posted by PPRuNe Towers (Post 10945057)
I happily delete quote boxes that simply repeat a post just above. Name of the poster referred to left in place.

These quotes are a waste of space and electrons.

Sorry, but this is wrong. People delete/sanitise posts. Posts get out of order from slow typing. The thread loses its sense of direction...

A short quote is extremely helpful.

Did you just moderate me? See above link above, I won't quote it...

...and you didn't leave the poster's name, whom I was addressing.

Jetdriver 17th Dec 2020 13:10

Don’t need to read a complete reprint of the post above yours or part of a conversation flow. Worst cases are of the 10 paragraph diatribe followed by “ plus1” or “I agree” type thing.

Where they are cleaned up, it doesn’t usually happen in real time so it is obvious from the flow of the thread if the quote is necessary or the referred to poster. Where a reply is well out of context or possibly on another page, the quote box is often useful. Similarly where a portion of the quoted post is being used or possibly being dissected in stages for reply.

BDAttitude 26th Jan 2021 10:32

So I put some effort in reducing quotes to the one or sometimes several sentences I am refering to, replacing the content not relevant to my post by "...".
Nevertheless those quote boxes get replaced with the username by moderation regularly. A recent example is here .
While I have sympathy for replacing full quotes I find this practice where people have thoughtfully prepared their references intrusive and disrespectful!


All times are GMT. The time now is 23:59.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.