Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Misc. Forums > PPRuNe Problems or Queries
Reload this Page >

Reading Pprune problem

PPRuNe Problems or Queries The home for site specific queries and comments on PPRuNe desktop and mobile.

Reading Pprune problem

Old 29th Jul 2018, 21:59
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Great Southern Land
Age: 68
Posts: 501
Reading Pprune problem

Whilst reading PPRuNe on my IPad, after loading the main home page or subsequent threads, when I scroll down the page doesn’t move smoothly but “staggers” down or may even return to the beginning. This has only been the case in the last month or so and doesn’t happen on other bulletin boards. Any ideas what the problem may be and how I can cure it?

Thanks!
Offchocks is offline  
Old 30th Jul 2018, 02:39
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: YMML
Posts: 1,684
Sounds like it might be "infinite scrolling" that's giving you grief - posted on another thread: Checking your browser.

"You can switch the "infinite scroll" off - look under User CP , Settings and Options, edit options and eventually Display Options"

Last edited by le Pingouin; 30th Jul 2018 at 02:41. Reason: adding link
le Pingouin is offline  
Old 30th Jul 2018, 11:59
  #3 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Great Southern Land
Age: 68
Posts: 501
Merci Monsieur Le Pingouin it worked!
Offchocks is offline  
Old 24th Apr 2019, 14:05
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Slovakia
Age: 54
Posts: 141

When I read PPRuNe on my iPad sometimes I want to enlarge the text section as my eyes are not in a shape they used to be. But when I try and there is an ad on the side it will move and obscure the text. See the screenshots. Very annoying!

Would it be possible to do something about it?



Pali is offline  
Old 27th Apr 2019, 18:53
  #5 (permalink)  
DB6
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Dundee, Scotland
Age: 56
Posts: 1,261
Pali, I see this as well and it is one of the most infuriating things I have ever come across. PPRuNe admin - I will never ever buy anything advertised in this way, nor indeed do I continue reading PPRuNe when this happens. I simply close it down and do something else, and stop reading PPRuNe until I am on a different device. Nearly as irritating as adverts coming up halfway through a Youtube video. I have similarly never continued watching, nor will I ever.
DB6 is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2019, 19:23
  #6 (permalink)  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: LA
Posts: 990
If you choose to read PPRuNe on a mobile device but in desktop mode, this will continue to happen. There is no way around it, I'm afraid.

Which is why we have the mobile skin, perfect for reading and replying to posts! Please give it a try.
IBobi is offline  
Old 7th May 2019, 18:50
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
If you choose to read PPRuNe on a mobile device but in desktop mode, this will continue to happen. There is no way around it, I'm afraid.

Which is why we have the mobile skin, perfect for reading and replying to posts! Please give it a try.
The problem with the mobile skin is that it jumps around while scrolling. Scroll up a millimeter and suddenly you are a few dozens posts back. It’s almost impossible to read longer threads with it.
darkshadow is offline  
Old 7th May 2019, 19:59
  #8 (permalink)  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: LA
Posts: 990
Is it possible your mobile connection is slow? I'm not seeing that issue with the mobile skin at all.

You may also try clearing your cache and PPRuNe cookies... or try a different mobile browser...
IBobi is offline  
Old 7th May 2019, 23:34
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Slovakia
Age: 54
Posts: 141
Devil

Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post


The problem with the mobile skin is that it jumps around while scrolling. Scroll up a millimeter and suddenly you are a few dozens posts back. It’s almost impossible to read longer threads with it.
Well, this happens with scrolling on the computer too. After opening any thread I instantly note the number of the first post on page because when I scroll it jumps randomly and if I wouldn’t notice the number I would be lost. This happens since new skin of PPRuNe was introduced and I guess it has something to do with advertising again.

Maybe this was programmed by the same guys than MCAS...
Pali is offline  
Old 7th May 2019, 23:38
  #10 (permalink)  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: LA
Posts: 990
Originally Posted by Pali View Post

Well, this happens with scrolling on the computer too. After opening any thread I instantly note the number of the first post on page because when I scroll it jumps randomly and if I wouldn’t notice the number I would be lost. This happens since new skin of PPRuNe was introduced and I guess it has something to do with advertising again.

Maybe this was programmed by the same guys than MCAS...
That could be 2 things.

Either you have your desktop set to display the mobile skin (if so, go to the 3-horizontal line menu at the top left and select VIEW DESKTOP)

or

You have "infinite scroll" turned on -- to turn that off, go to user cp, edit options, disable infinite scroll, and SAVE.
IBobi is offline  
Old 8th May 2019, 19:35
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
Is it possible your mobile connection is slow? I'm not seeing that issue with the mobile skin at all.

You may also try clearing your cache and PPRuNe cookies... or try a different mobile browser...
No, I get this even on very fast connections. Same on iPhone or iPad. At least on iPad Desktop Mode is quite usable. I have Infinite Scrolling off.
darkshadow is offline  
Old 8th May 2019, 21:10
  #12 (permalink)  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: LA
Posts: 990
Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
No, I get this even on very fast connections. Same on iPhone or iPad. At least on iPad Desktop Mode is quite usable. I have Infinite Scrolling off.
I'm out of ideas, I'm sorry to say. I do not have widespread reports of the jumping with the mobile skin, but it sure sounds like it is taking too long to load the page elements and that's what's causing it.

My last bit of advice is to wait until the whole page loads before trying to scroll.
IBobi is offline  
Old 10th May 2019, 16:33
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 934
On my tablet I get a sudden jump a couple of seconds after opening a new page - I have to force myself to wait as it's easy to hit the wrong thread when you open up PPRuNe

never happens on the laptop or desktop...................
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 10th May 2019, 17:41
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
I'm out of ideas, I'm sorry to say. I do not have widespread reports of the jumping with the mobile skin, but it sure sounds like it is taking too long to load the page elements and that's what's causing it.

My last bit of advice is to wait until the whole page loads before trying to scroll.
It’s okay, I read long threads in desktop mode and that works fine. I check for new interesting threads on the phone and read them later on a larger screen if they’re longer. But I will try the “wait for page load and then scroll” approach as well. Thanks for mentioning it.
darkshadow is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.