Passengers & SLF (Self Loading Freight) If you are regularly a passenger on any airline then why not post your questions here?

Travel Insurance

Old 29th Aug 2022, 14:17
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: There and here
Posts: 2,630
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Travel Insurance

A question on behalf of a friend (I said I might know some well-travelled people who could help). Said person has just discovered that they have had travel insurance for the last few years included in their bank account/cards, but somehow wasn't aware and on cursory reading it does seem the bank didn't shout about it and it could be missed. In the last few years the friend has had two separate events that would have qualified for cover under the policy, but it might well be that too much time has passed to make a claim(s). So, dear well travelled internet people, do any of you have experience in this situation ? Are there time limits ? I'm imagining that the insurance underwriters would baulk at any retrospective claims.
SpringHeeledJack is offline  
Old 29th Aug 2022, 23:28
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ireland
Posts: 262
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All insurance has a claim by date in my experience. If it didn't happen in the last six months, maybe less in some cases, then there's no chance
alserire is offline  
Old 30th Aug 2022, 00:51
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada/Malaysia
Age: 82
Posts: 201
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...also typically age limited...over 65 = SOL
BlankBox is offline  
Old 30th Aug 2022, 01:12
  #4 (permalink)  
ZFT
N4790P
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Asia
Age: 72
Posts: 2,190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlankBox View Post
...also typically age limited...over 65 = SOL
Really. Whilst health insurance can be an issue with age, I've never seen age a factor with travel insurance.
ZFT is offline  
Old 30th Aug 2022, 02:29
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada/Malaysia
Age: 82
Posts: 201
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZFT View Post
Really. Whilst health insurance can be an issue with age, I've never seen age a factor with travel insurance.
Most ??FREE?? travel med insurance that comes with Amex/Visa/Mastercard is typically age restricted....if you buy to cover yourself then thats on you not them.

Here...
https://www.rewardscanada.ca/medicalinsurance.html

...but this Canada so other jurisdictions might vary...

Last edited by BlankBox; 30th Aug 2022 at 03:01.
BlankBox is offline  
Old 30th Aug 2022, 03:16
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 201
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringHeeledJack View Post
A question on behalf of a friend (I said I might know some well-travelled people who could help). Said person has just discovered that they have had travel insurance for the last few years included in their bank account/cards, but somehow wasn't aware and on cursory reading it does seem the bank didn't shout about it and it could be missed. In the last few years the friend has had two separate events that would have qualified for cover under the policy, but it might well be that too much time has passed to make a claim(s). So, dear well travelled internet people, do any of you have experience in this situation ? Are there time limits ? I'm imagining that the insurance underwriters would baulk at any retrospective claims.
From my half-million miles of travel experience in any seat other than 0A...
Every plan I have ever seen requires you to call them as soon as you are ill. (So they can make deals directly with the service providers at commercial rates.)
ve3id is offline  
Old 30th Aug 2022, 06:05
  #7 (permalink)  
ZFT
N4790P
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Asia
Age: 72
Posts: 2,190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel insurance and medical insurance are different animals to me.

Travel is loss of belongings, delays etc and nothing to do with health
ZFT is offline  
Old 30th Aug 2022, 09:18
  #8 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: There and here
Posts: 2,630
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AFAIK, most travel insurance covers you medically as well, in various territories around the world (depending on selection) and for flights/baggage/personal loss etc. The person i'm asking on behalf of is of the 'winging it' variety of personality and just accepted/was philosophical about the events they could have claimed on had they realised/known they were insured. Medically they were covered by the EHIC card within the EU. Sadly, now through a recurring medical condition and age, insurance is as good as impossible.
SpringHeeledJack is offline  
Old 14th Sep 2022, 20:42
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Farnborough Hants
Posts: 141
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to have paid travel insurance with my bank account but I stopped that when covid struck and I could no longer fly anywhere.
I'm pretty sure that the T&C's include something along the lines of reporting any possible reason for a claim "as soon as possible", so if you discovered that you could have claimed for something a few months ago, but hadn't realised at the time, it would be sufficient to disqualify a claim
Paul Lupp is offline  
Old 14th Sep 2022, 21:24
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Location: Location!
Posts: 2,212
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringHeeledJack View Post
AFAIK, most travel insurance covers you medically as well, in various territories around the world (depending on selection) and for flights/baggage/personal loss etc. The person i'm asking on behalf of is of the 'winging it' variety of personality and just accepted/was philosophical about the events they could have claimed on had they realised/known they were insured. Medically they were covered by the EHIC card within the EU. Sadly, now through a recurring medical condition and age, insurance is as good as impossible.
It may be worth mentioning in this context that, whilst an existing EHIC remains valid until the expiry date indicated, that its replacement, the UK Global Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is worth having for basic health cover in Europe (so not global!) and is very easily obtained by an online application through https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/hea...nce-card-ghic/

For interest, regarding the age limit for a bank's in-house travel insurance (including medical), the last time I looked Barclays' age limit was 80, or the younger person on a joint account reaching 80.

Jack
Union Jack is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 15th Sep 2022, 10:14
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 5,438
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
We got the new cards in 2 weeks or less
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 17th Sep 2022, 08:22
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Saigon SGN/VVTS
Posts: 6,226
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ZFT View Post
Whilst health insurance can be an issue with age, .....
Yes, it dramatically affects the premiums. Ask me how I know!
India Four Two is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.