The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Opinion on IAA Mildura

Old 2nd Aug 2020, 12:33
  #101 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Abeam Alice Springs
Posts: 1,110
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re the proposed MQL ILS. Further discussion on another thread:
Mildura Airport ILS - Wrong Way?
triadic is offline  
Old 3rd Aug 2020, 02:00
  #102 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Mildura
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stickshift3000
I imagine the aerodrome was there before you were...

Have you ever flown in a jet airliner?
Pretty much over the whole "dont live near an airport and then complain about the noise" comment.
Your so far off the mark and ill informed ...
but thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by thisishardtochoose
Talking sense to the fruitloops doesn't work
Well that's lovely of you, thanks for your feedback.
PeskyPlanes is offline  
Old 4th Aug 2020, 06:18
  #103 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,158
Received 125 Likes on 48 Posts
I just received an email from "anonymous reporter" about this place, including attachments of someone's licence. I don't really know anything about this place other than what I have read here, so I have no idea why they contacted ,me or where they got my email address from unless they painstakingly googled every single flying school in the country. The email is written by someone who doesn't seem to have English as a first language, the grammar standard is not something you would expect even from a journalist.

I don't take any notice of anonymous stuff, if you are too cowardly to give me your name and send a bulk email starting with Good day (which is only very slightly less bad than Dear Sir) then you go in the deleted items.

Did anyone else here get one of these?

Edit when I emailed back to ask who the sender was and why they were sending me this stuff the email bounced, apparently the email it came from doesn't exist.

Last edited by Clare Prop; 4th Aug 2020 at 09:59.
Clare Prop is offline  
Old 4th Aug 2020, 09:22
  #104 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 223
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PeskyPlanes
Pretty much over the whole "dont live near an airport and then complain about the noise" comment.
Your so far off the mark and ill informed ...
but thanks for your input.
It's "you're", in this context. And given the airport was there in 1929, I think you're going to have a hard time convincing anyone you were there first.
De_flieger is offline  
Old 4th Aug 2020, 10:49
  #105 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the same email today, can confirm this is true. I had two mates that use to work there and left within 2 weeks of starting. They've obviously sent the email anonymously to protect their identity. You know how the Chinese are
Right_rudder is offline  
Old 4th Aug 2020, 11:05
  #106 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Mildura
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw the email. Damning allegations.
captainsushi is offline  
Old 5th Aug 2020, 03:17
  #107 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: All at sea
Posts: 2,122
Received 103 Likes on 68 Posts
The author of that damning email uses the collective 'we', so presumably more than one person is prepared to back up the allegations. They should go to the Australian Government whistleblower site where they can remain anonymous. Piss, or get off the pot.
Writing direct to CASA and circulating to the likes of me is unlikely to get a result, because frankly my dear, I don't give a damn what some cowboy training mob out in the desert does. I suspect CASA takes a similar position when it comes to training of foreign students. I won't be flying on any airline that employs these graduates, and CASA takes little interest in foreign carrier standards.
Mach E Avelli is offline  
Old 5th Aug 2020, 03:37
  #108 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: usa
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was very silly sending to it all of those emails. The best thing would’ve been to post on here
Staffypilot is offline  
Old 5th Aug 2020, 04:20
  #109 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: All at sea
Posts: 2,122
Received 103 Likes on 68 Posts
Posting stuff here is not worth a c%*t full of cold water, other than to provide entertainment and to allow some to let off steam.
If they are serious they will take it to the appropriate whistleblower authority, which in turn could require CASA to investigate and report back. Then, if the allegations are founded on fact, the company could be de-registered or otherwise penalised.
But it is very poor form to include everyone's email in a mass mail-out without permission of each recipient. If I really could give a damn I would go after them for including my address.
Mach E Avelli is offline  
Old 5th Aug 2020, 08:25
  #110 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CASA has been notified of their wrongdoings. Looks like a slap on the wrist, any other schoosl which would do this would be shut down. Money talks!
Right_rudder is offline  
Old 5th Aug 2020, 09:36
  #111 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Outback
Posts: 34
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But it is very poor form to include everyone's email in a mass mail-out without permission of each recipient.
Agreed, it is not hard to hide the other emails, but it does look like it was copied and pasted with very little word processing skills.

The “anonymous Reporter” is obviously out to discredit IAA/AAA but in particular goes after one individual. Many others have told similar stories about this person’s behaviour so it is unlikely that the email stems from a personal conflict between two people.

With the evidence provided CASA will surely have to take another look at the safety of this operation. The Author must work there or have worked there recently.

It is very sad many new instructors had their first flying job at IAA only to have their expectations of this professional world shattered.
Rod Con is offline  
Old 5th Aug 2020, 09:47
  #112 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cptsyd200bc
Folks,
I would really appreciate if you all give me your opinion on IAA Mildura
I Like most, only lasted 6 months and left as soon as I could Only did around 140 hours in that time...more ground school and bus driving than I could throw a stick at. There are far better places to go if you want to work in a sausage factory. Iíve done just under 800 hours in the year since I left at my new school, if it survives COVID, I will be staying here as 100% happier. There are problems at every school you go...but IAA has a number of major issues...lack of safety and compliance Are just two of them. Stay away and stay safe...good luck getting your next gig.
chrisaviator is offline  
Old 5th Aug 2020, 10:00
  #113 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From instructors who work or have worked there I've heard that there is a one section of the company that operates under a separate Air Operators Certificate and has a different Head of Operations. They say that company is actually a good place to work and resembles nothing of the bigger messier AOC. The guy who runs that AOC has much more experience. Some of those who've left said they asked for transfers as they are all under the IAA parent company however that was declined. Would have considered staying on if that was the case. Think one of the long term plans is for one of the AOCs to move to Swan Hill.
aussiebushflyer is offline  
Old 5th Aug 2020, 19:52
  #114 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: moon
Posts: 3,565
Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Please don’t move to Swan Hill! I love that place and the Mid Murray Flyers! Always good for a cuppa and a chat after refuelling. Please don’t spoil it.
Sunfish is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2020, 01:46
  #115 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clare Prop
I just received an email from "anonymous reporter" about this place, including attachments of someone's licence. I don't really know anything about this place other than what I have read here, so I have no idea why they contacted ,me or where they got my email address from unless they painstakingly googled every single flying school in the country. The email is written by someone who doesn't seem to have English as a first language, the grammar standard is not something you would expect even from a journalist.

I don't take any notice of anonymous stuff, if you are too cowardly to give me your name and send a bulk email starting with Good day (which is only very slightly less bad than Dear Sir) then you go in the deleted items.

Did anyone else here get one of these?

Edit when I emailed back to ask who the sender was and why they were sending me this stuff the email bounced, apparently the email it came from doesn't exist.
Are you able to upload it here? Thatíll be great ayyeeee!
Kolbus is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2020, 06:53
  #116 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,158
Received 125 Likes on 48 Posts
I guess if the author wanted it published here they would have posted it here.

It could have opened up the forum to legal headaches, so I'm not going to post it here either.
Clare Prop is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2020, 07:02
  #117 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: space
Posts: 389
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send the email to me Iíll post it.
zanthrus is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2020, 12:20
  #118 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,158
Received 125 Likes on 48 Posts
No..the mods would probably take it down anyway...read this https://www.pprune.org/faq.php?faq=p...ne_rules_rules
Clare Prop is offline  
Old 13th Aug 2020, 01:12
  #119 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IF the substance of the email in question as well as the response to it are to be taken as true then it speaks volumes about the workplace culture of this particular organisation - which is being frequently reported in a somewhat unsavoury light.

In a high stress, high performance and hazardous environment bullying and any behaviours that add to the stress load of instructors is potentially lethal, can and will seriously damage your brand and reputation.

ANYONE who fosters and facilitates such an environment is, in my view, culpable for any negative outcomes that come about - for firstly not creating a means for personnel to air their grievances and for failing to emphasise HR policy on workplace bullying.

I have a great deal of experience with corporate governance, HR policies as well as Safety Management Systems and the just culture element that is meant to underpin their use. Unless there is evidence of repeated negligence as per a written policy statement in your ops manual aligned with annual performance KPIs set at the beginning of each year, there is NO dotted or hard reporting line between HR the Safety Manager and the HOO.

It's advisable to submit senior personnel in leadership roles such as HOO/Dep HOO and Safety manager for appropriate training and ensure that ALL personnel are on-boarded and understand that there are appropriate standards of behaviour that are expected in any Australian workplace. Anyone breaching these standards needs to be counselled and as necessary disciplined. Not doing so opens you and your organisation up to potential legal consequences and worse - people have died in workplaces as a result of workplace bullying and personally I have no patience for it. If employees lash out in anonymous forums then perhaps the issue is not with the accuser but rather with an environment in which they don't feel confident in airing their grievances and being heard - isn't that the essence of the Aussie fair go?
ProThinker is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2020, 06:07
  #120 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 195
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ProThinker
IF the substance of the email in question as well as the response to it are to be taken as true then it speaks volumes about the workplace culture of this particular organisation - which is being frequently reported in a somewhat unsavoury light.

In a high stress, high performance and hazardous environment bullying and any behaviours that add to the stress load of instructors is potentially lethal, can and will seriously damage your brand and reputation.

ANYONE who fosters and facilitates such an environment is, in my view, culpable for any negative outcomes that come about - for firstly not creating a means for personnel to air their grievances and for failing to emphasise HR policy on workplace bullying.

I have a great deal of experience with corporate governance, HR policies as well as Safety Management Systems and the just culture element that is meant to underpin their use. Unless there is evidence of repeated negligence as per a written policy statement in your ops manual aligned with annual performance KPIs set at the beginning of each year, there is NO dotted or hard reporting line between HR the Safety Manager and the HOO.

It's advisable to submit senior personnel in leadership roles such as HOO/Dep HOO and Safety manager for appropriate training and ensure that ALL personnel are on-boarded and understand that there are appropriate standards of behaviour that are expected in any Australian workplace. Anyone breaching these standards needs to be counselled and as necessary disciplined. Not doing so opens you and your organisation up to potential legal consequences and worse - people have died in workplaces as a result of workplace bullying and personally I have no patience for it. If employees lash out in anonymous forums then perhaps the issue is not with the accuser but rather with an environment in which they don't feel confident in airing their grievances and being heard - isn't that the essence of the Aussie fair go?
Well said. Totally agree. When the Mildura organisation was first established all of what you suggest as appropriate was contemplated by the then Australian management team but it all went out the window as the Chinese management progressively pushed out the highly experienced operators.
LexAir is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.